Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 7:24 AM
Sep 2022
While the removal of the "Current Events" section may have been based on various considerations, there are valid reasons why bringing it back could benefit MyAnimeList...

Community Engagement: A "Current Events" section fosters community engagement by allowing users to discuss and share their thoughts on recent happenings in the world. This can lead to lively discussions, exchanges of opinions, and the formation of a stronger sense of community among users.

&

Competitive Edge: Providing comprehensive coverage of current events in the industry or the real world can give MyAnimeList a competitive edge over other similar platforms. It distinguishes them as a go-to destination for anime fans seeking timely and relevant information.

It shouldn't be censored.
(https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=83300)
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
May 27, 9:55 AM

Jun 2019
I think that MAL simply does not have the needed resources to moderate its forums, so the suggestion seems rather unreasonable to me. The club works well because few people post and that I am usually here to actively moderate it by addressing misleading posts and various kinds of propaganda.

Just have a look at this thread (deleted thread, but there are obvious ways to access it, and moderators should still be able to see it):

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2157843

If a thread posted in Anime Discussion containing countless violations could reach five pages despite several reports and people @ ing directly moderators, it clearly shows that reopening a board dedicated to controversial topics would be completely unmanageable.
May 27, 11:15 AM

May 2021
Reply to Meusnier
I think that MAL simply does not have the needed resources to moderate its forums, so the suggestion seems rather unreasonable to me. The club works well because few people post and that I am usually here to actively moderate it by addressing misleading posts and various kinds of propaganda.

Just have a look at this thread (deleted thread, but there are obvious ways to access it, and moderators should still be able to see it):

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2157843

If a thread posted in Anime Discussion containing countless violations could reach five pages despite several reports and people @ ing directly moderators, it clearly shows that reopening a board dedicated to controversial topics would be completely unmanageable.
@Meusnier Wayback machine chose a very good time to fry... What thread was that?? ๐Ÿ˜ญ
May 27, 4:31 PM

Jan 2009
Meusnier said:
I think if people stopped being so sensitive and moderation would be reserved for actual harmful cases such as gore spam or when things get outright illegal (like doxing, actual threats, phishing attempts, etc.), it would more than work. Before those "controversial" rules were even set up and before there have been some people vocally complaining about the opinions of other users, discussing "controversial" topics was completely manageable. After all, no one forces you to read or interact with a posting you don't agree with
I'll give you credit though that your club has exceeded my initial expectations by far

DigiCat said:
Wayback machine chose a very good time to fry... What thread was that?? ๐Ÿ˜ญ
It was a thread asking about why there seemed to be a tendency that male users would like to watch pairings with two female characters and female users pairings of two persons of the opposite sex/gender as well
May 27, 5:00 PM

Mar 2008
With the current overly restrictive AD and CD rules that would be a bad idea. It would instantly turn into /pol/ again like it did when the mods clamped down on the forum choking it out.
May 27, 7:05 PM

Oct 2022
Nah, I think it's fine to keep as a club. I wasn't on mal when currents events was part of the regular forums but based on what I've seen it was a complete cesspool of propaganda and meaningless insults. It's still like that too, albeit to a lesser extent. The mods just aren't able to handle all of the reports they were getting, and when a lot of those reports were I'm assuming just "I disagree with this person" it's just not worth it to keep CE when all it did just just promote hate and divided the userbase in a way that wasn't intended. I think it is fair to say that this site is primary an anime site so banning topics about current day politics is completely reasonable.

I wouldn't say it's censored either. They allowed it to become a club that not only can anyone join but it's often at the top of the clubs list because it's so active, so it's easy to find as well. Of course it being a club there are probably less users then when it was part of the regular forums but that's for the best I'd say. It also helps that @Meusnier is a very good moderator, so he is able to keep things under control while allowing discussion and not censoring anyone.

The only bad thing about CE that I think is still a problem is the fact that people like to often start insult wars with each other, which can devolve into meaningless blabbering but unless someone is actually breaking site rules like how one of the recently banned users did on CE then better to just let people do it if they want. I'll just personally decide not to engage with behavior like that.
WaffleMaster89May 27, 7:24 PM
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 27, 7:09 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to Noboru
Meusnier said:
I think if people stopped being so sensitive and moderation would be reserved for actual harmful cases such as gore spam or when things get outright illegal (like doxing, actual threats, phishing attempts, etc.), it would more than work. Before those "controversial" rules were even set up and before there have been some people vocally complaining about the opinions of other users, discussing "controversial" topics was completely manageable. After all, no one forces you to read or interact with a posting you don't agree with
I'll give you credit though that your club has exceeded my initial expectations by far

DigiCat said:
It was a thread asking about why there seemed to be a tendency that male users would like to watch pairings with two female characters and female users pairings of two persons of the opposite sex/gender as well
@Noboru
Noboru said:
To be fair I don't remember the thread that well but I don't get why it was banned. Was the reply section filled with heinous responses or what?
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 28, 1:27 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@Noboru
Noboru said:
To be fair I don't remember the thread that well but I don't get why it was banned. Was the reply section filled with heinous responses or what?
@WaffleMaster89 Not that much that it couldn't have been handled by giving the belligerent users the choice early on to either continue into their own room or risk a time-out. You can try the Waybackmachine if you're interested in reading it yourself, it seems to work again
May 28, 5:18 AM

May 2021
Reply to Noboru
Meusnier said:

DigiCat said:
Noboru said:

Oh, it was the BL/GL thread

How did it derail?? I thought it was common knowledge BL has a mostly female fanbase and GL male fanbase
May 28, 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to DigiCat
Noboru said:

How did it derail?? I thought it was common knowledge BL has a mostly female fanbase and GL male fanbase
DigiCat said:
Probably because of some people arguing about what counts as a specific gender
May 28, 4:36 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to DigiCat
Noboru said:

DigiCat said:
How did it derail??

@DigiCat Instead of explaining it with words, I'll explain it with a single image.

Yes, this was that same thread meant purely to discuss why people like men like yuri and women like yaoi, and this was how it all started going downhill. All at a record breaking pace of derailing on the first page. It became preference and identity bashing... so basically 4chan. And the mods sat on their hands when it was reported a bunch of times, so I personally pinged the lead admin to finally get the thread euthanized. God I hate this site.
Daviljoe193May 28, 5:00 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 28, 5:33 PM

May 2021
Reply to Daviljoe193
DigiCat said:
How did it derail??

@DigiCat Instead of explaining it with words, I'll explain it with a single image.

Yes, this was that same thread meant purely to discuss why people like men like yuri and women like yaoi, and this was how it all started going downhill. All at a record breaking pace of derailing on the first page. It became preference and identity bashing... so basically 4chan. And the mods sat on their hands when it was reported a bunch of times, so I personally pinged the lead admin to finally get the thread euthanized. God I hate this site.
@Daviljoe193 Tht's actually quite strange, normally things like the first response to LSSJ would've gotten the thread locked, even if it may take a while
May 28, 6:34 PM

Aug 2018
I like it as a club. It would be funny if MAL brought back current events to the main forum page, only to remove and archive it again.
May 29, 12:19 AM

Jan 2009
not a good idea anymore since this site is full of right wingers ever since donald trump won
May 29, 12:21 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to deg
not a good idea anymore since this site is full of right wingers ever since donald trump won
@deg I'd say something to rebut that, but I literally used the word "confederate brain" to describe people who actively derailed a yuri/yaoi thread into a full on hate speech thread, so... yeah, you're honestly correct.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
May 29, 12:26 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Daviljoe193
@deg I'd say something to rebut that, but I literally used the word "confederate brain" to describe people who actively derailed a yuri/yaoi thread into a full on hate speech thread, so... yeah, you're honestly correct.
@Daviljoe193 mal is called 4chan lite for a reason
May 29, 12:58 AM

May 2021
Reply to deg
@deg

*rolls eyes

Both political extreams are as insane as eachother
May 29, 7:53 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Counter point, allowing current events scares away advertisers, someone has to pay for those server costs.
May 29, 8:50 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to ACasualViewer
Counter point, allowing current events scares away advertisers, someone has to pay for those server costs.
@ACasualViewer

So censoring all interesting discussions is the solution?

๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
May 29, 9:32 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Reply to GoatPieceLuffy
@ACasualViewer

So censoring all interesting discussions is the solution?

@GoatPieceLuffy

Well its not either or, you can discuss any anime or manga on this site just fine. This forum is primarily created for that purpose and the vast majority of forum posts are under DB entries. Outside of that you still have casual discussion.

This forum is ultimately not an appropriate place to discuss the ethics of X Y Z topic, and I don't see the benefits from allowing it outweighing the hit from the advertisers pulling their ads when they realize people are discussing stuff that they don't want to be associated with.
May 29, 8:44 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to deg
@Daviljoe193 mal is called 4chan lite for a reason
@deg
Youre the only one that calls it that lol

ACasualViewer said:
Well its not either or, you can discuss any anime or manga on this site just fine. This forum is primarily created for that purpose and the vast majority of forum posts are under DB entries. Outside of that you still have casual discussion.

This forum is ultimately not an appropriate place to discuss the ethics of X Y Z topic, and I don't see the benefits from allowing it outweighing the hit from the advertisers pulling their ads when they realize people are discussing stuff that they don't want to be associated with.

Advertisers usually don't pull out of large websites unless on rare occasion if it gets widespread negative mainstream media attention, just they at most dont jump in for certain pages on a site by scanning words on the page though im not sure how MALs ad system works but it is a crappy one. MALs advertisers are mainly tabloids and other scammy article sites that are just ads themselves and Temu is what I get and they arent the kind of advertisers that care about any image. MAL also has had ads by a religious group designated by the SPLC as a hate group. They also had BetterHelp advertising which has been exposed as a scam. So you shouldnt even think about advertisers because chances are they arent going anywhere and they are actually as bad or worse than the users because they clearly dont vet the ads well.
traedMay 29, 9:43 PM
May 29, 9:34 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@deg

ACasualViewer said:

Advertisers usually don't pull out of large websites unless on rare occasion if it gets widespread negative mainstream media attention, just they at most dont jump in for certain pages on a site by scanning words on the page though im not sure how MALs ad system works but it is a crappy one. MALs advertisers are mainly tabloids and other scammy article sites that are just ads themselves and Temu is what I get and they arent the kind of advertisers that care about any image. MAL also has had ads by a religious group designated by the SPLC as a hate group. They also had BetterHelp advertising which has been exposed as a scam. So you shouldnt even think about advertisers because chances are they arent going anywhere and they are actually as bad or worse than the users because they clearly dont vet the ads well.
@traed well im the only one remaining
May 29, 11:31 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@deg Being right-wing (or left-wing) isn't inherently bad by itself, it's just when people start to get indoctrinated and become far right and far left that things become an issue. I'm just saying it's pretty disingenuous to say that a political forum becomes bad just because people that you disagree with politically use it and then blaming it on a politician. We should be fighting against echo-chamber thought not encouraging it.

One of the more recently banned users got banned because they were calling me a fascist for no good reason, basically just using it as a buzz word. Just to give one example of it not being all "right-wingers."

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2146331
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 29, 11:37 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to traed
@deg

ACasualViewer said:

@traed I do agree with you for the most part but I understand the need to be safer than sorry in mal's case. Although I do find this whole thing kind of funny since 90% of the ads are just gacha games.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 12:41 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@traed I do agree with you for the most part but I understand the need to be safer than sorry in mal's case. Although I do find this whole thing kind of funny since 90% of the ads are just gacha games.
@WaffleMaster89
The sponsored banner ads are stuff like that i guess but i havent seen it elsewhere yet. There also is intrusive video ads on the anime and manga pages sometimes. Do they really want to make sure all users are using ad blockers? Lol
May 30, 1:31 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg Being right-wing (or left-wing) isn't inherently bad by itself, it's just when people start to get indoctrinated and become far right and far left that things become an issue. I'm just saying it's pretty disingenuous to say that a political forum becomes bad just because people that you disagree with politically use it and then blaming it on a politician. We should be fighting against echo-chamber thought not encouraging it.

One of the more recently banned users got banned because they were calling me a fascist for no good reason, basically just using it as a buzz word. Just to give one example of it not being all "right-wingers."

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2146331
@WaffleMaster89 im talking about the amount here right wingers far outnumbers left wingers on this site from my observation being so active here

lol did you get qpr banned? damn i thought the current events club allows heated arguments also qpr is a moderate like meusnier

scratch that if qpr is banned then he can never delete his account so i guess he deleted his account himself since i remember him being too paranoid about his privacy
degMay 30, 2:26 PM
May 30, 11:43 AM

Mar 2010
Idk if people have mentioned this yet....

But how about Make a Link on the MAIN forums, leading to the CLUB? as a 'official club' for current events.

Giving it more exposure.

I know they did something similar but it was within a thread within a forum.. which is nb, but also not optimal..

Can't think of a better middle ground honestly..

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 30, 8:39 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 im talking about the amount here right wingers far outnumbers left wingers on this site from my observation being so active here

lol did you get qpr banned? damn i thought the current events club allows heated arguments also qpr is a moderate like meusnier

scratch that if qpr is banned then he can never delete his account so i guess he deleted his account himself since i remember him being too paranoid about his privacy
@deg
deg said:
Making up serious lies like that shouldn't be tolerated. I'm all for heated arguments and not reporting people for the slightest provocations but accusing someone of being in a dangerous and radicial ideology without any proof whatsoever goes way beyond the scope of a "heated argument."
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 8:48 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg
deg said:
Making up serious lies like that shouldn't be tolerated. I'm all for heated arguments and not reporting people for the slightest provocations but accusing someone of being in a dangerous and radicial ideology without any proof whatsoever goes way beyond the scope of a "heated argument."
@WaffleMaster89 dude youre a trump voter so you know what radical is
May 30, 8:54 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 dude youre a trump voter so you know what radical is
@deg So instead of actually responding to my points you just get mad and say "your a trump voter." Shows how mature you are. I'm not going to get into petty fights with you deg either respond to what I am saying or don't bother speaking at all.

Also, I'm not sure if this will really reach you, but if you label everyone you don't like as a radical, it really shows how radical you are.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg So instead of actually responding to my points you just get mad and say "your a trump voter." Shows how mature you are. I'm not going to get into petty fights with you deg either respond to what I am saying or don't bother speaking at all.

Also, I'm not sure if this will really reach you, but if you label everyone you don't like as a radical, it really shows how radical you are.
@WaffleMaster89 well you did implied you reported QPR so what else you want me to say?

anyway politics is a power struggle so if one side becomes radical the other side must become radical too may the greater radicals win

but you cannot prove my beliefs are radical
May 30, 9:00 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 well you did implied you reported QPR so what else you want me to say?

anyway politics is a power struggle so if one side becomes radical the other side must become radical too may the greater radicals win

@deg
deg said:
well you did implied you reported QPR so what else you want me to say?
You made a comment that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, your just still mad that I said something you don't like and brought it into the discussion for no reason.

deg said:
Sounds like the thinking of an extremist.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:02 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg
deg said:
well you did implied you reported QPR so what else you want me to say?
You made a comment that had nothing to do with the topic at hand, your just still mad that I said something you don't like and brought it into the discussion for no reason.

deg said:
Sounds like the thinking of an extremist.
@WaffleMaster89 no since its just funny you acting you do not know what radical means when you voted for trump

and trump is an extremist more than me for sure so why support him?

if i can vote there i will vote for biden so is that extremist?
May 30, 9:12 PM

Oct 2013
No need to bring back the Current Events board. Let's focus on anime, manga, and other things purely dedicated to entertainment. What's more, many folks can't be civil and respectful when talking about serious stuff. No need to bring back a board that would be available for everyone and would have to be actively moderated pretty much all the time, due to being basically a playground for all trolls willing to trigger anyone by posting radical right- or left-wing stuff; or simply because certain type of social, politics and religious content could make many advertisers resign from further co-operation with MAL, and thus lowering this website's income through ad revenue. From what I heard, Current Events in a club format work just fine. If anyone wants to talk about more serious stuff on a forum dedicated primarily to Japanese cartoons, then they can just use the club.
AdnashMay 30, 9:15 PM
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
May 30, 9:12 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 no since its just funny you acting you do not know what radical means when you voted for trump

and trump is an extremist more than me for sure so why support him?

if i can vote there i will vote for biden so is that extremist?
@deg Please explain to me how I am a radical then, because your only reason seems to be because I said I am going to vote for a politician and not because of the political beliefs I hold.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:14 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg Please explain to me how I am a radical then, because your only reason seems to be because I said I am going to vote for a politician and not because of the political beliefs I hold.
@WaffleMaster89

its just funny you claim im radical but i will vote for biden if ever and youre not a radical but you will vote for trump, the consequences of votes matters here imo
May 30, 9:21 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89

its just funny you claim im radical but i will vote for biden if ever and youre not a radical but you will vote for trump, the consequences of votes matters here imo
@deg Claiming a moderate is a radical is pretty radical, you clearly don't know enough about my political beliefs.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:22 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg Claiming a moderate is a radical is pretty radical, you clearly don't know enough about my political beliefs.
@WaffleMaster89 does not matter who you vote for is what matters like i said
May 30, 9:29 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 does not matter who you vote for is what matters like i said
@deg Voting for person deg doesn't like makes you an extremist. Also, your political beliefs definitely do matter when determining whether someone is a radical.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:32 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg Voting for person deg doesn't like makes you an extremist. Also, your political beliefs definitely do matter when determining whether someone is a radical.
@WaffleMaster89 dude who you vote will affect your society heck its usa so they will affect the world
May 30, 9:33 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 dude who you vote will affect your society heck its usa so they will affect the world
@deg I never said it doesn't.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:35 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg I never said it doesn't.
@WaffleMaster89 and my point is your political beliefs does not matter what matters is who you vote for

if youre enabling a radical like trump then ok lots of people will suffer because of your vote
May 30, 9:47 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to deg
@WaffleMaster89 and my point is your political beliefs does not matter what matters is who you vote for

if youre enabling a radical like trump then ok lots of people will suffer because of your vote
@deg So all you see is the vote and not the reasoning behind the vote. So essentially your politically illiterate.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
May 30, 9:47 PM

Dec 2021

The amount of mods you'd need would quintuple, but the number of mods would go down, as no one would want to sift through that garbage. And they are already short handed. Should probably bring on one or two peeps to the mod team, tbh, but where oh where could they find one...?
May 30, 9:50 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to WaffleMaster89
@deg So all you see is the vote and not the reasoning behind the vote. So essentially your politically illiterate.
@WaffleMaster89 fine for me being dumb than voting for trump that will destroy a lot again
May 31, 1:41 AM

May 2021
Reply to deg

@deg Now why am i not surprised you aren't a big practicer of "2 wrongs don't make a right"...

More topics from this board

» Prevent very new accounts from creating public interest stacks (And recommendations).

Daviljoe193 - Sep 21

15 by ScaryOwl »»
23 minutes ago

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

23 by IridescentJaune »»
2 hours ago

» Add Filters to Top Lists

rti9 - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Like button on user's comments in episode discussions

Katanaoni - Jul 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» add a like button to user's comments in forums

college_boy - 11 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.