Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 9, 2016 11:56 PM

Jul 2013
Damn that was awesome. Anyway, I don't know much about Nobunobu but if he's gonna go against the Amanto, then he might prove to be a good shogun?

In most of the serious arcs, Takasugi is always somehow involved with the main villain. What is up with you dude?
Jun 19, 2016 7:48 AM

May 2012
Pretty solid ending of this chapter, as usual Gintama has these more in depth story and action wise chapters which are pretty solid compared to the rest of the episodes.

But well let's see what happens next!
Aug 3, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2014
God damn that was good, perfect balance of pretty much everything. Gintama just being Gintama after all :)
Dec 17, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2012
The first serious arc of the season ended. I hope we will see Takasugi again. For me, it was a great arc, I always love seeing the past of Gintoki. Asaemon is cute :)

The moment when Gintoki took the saber to broke Yaemon's sword was epic.
Next week is Hasegawa!

OMG the flashback at the end happens before he go on the otose's husband tombstone, beautiful.
SakaitsuDec 17, 2016 12:17 PM
Dec 31, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2016
This had to be one of my most favorite arcs in Gintama, I loved it!!
Jan 10, 2017 11:00 AM

Dec 2015
A great ending to the arc, rip Gintoki's nipples.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 26, 2017 4:06 AM

Apr 2009
I don't see why some people hate this arc.

And how will she re-attach Gin's nipples? lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2017 2:33 PM

Oct 2015
Wow... it's been so long since I fanboyed over a long running shounen. Gintama is officially my favorite long series now. Sucks that I'll catch up to the manga fairly soon.
Dec 13, 2017 5:16 AM

May 2013
What a damn excellent Arc!

Everything with Gin's past makes my heart ache, i just want to hug him. All that okikagu bits and nipple taking is funny too. LOL

They should make a movie out of this. ugh.
Jan 22, 2018 4:29 AM

May 2015
Lost it when Sougo threw the barrel and it hit Kagura on the head. And “She took my damn nipple again!”

The few slices of Gin-san’s past that were shown made my heart wrench.
Feb 6, 2018 1:59 PM

Nov 2016
Just brilliant.

nipple/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 7, 2018 9:53 PM
Sep 2017
Ahhh - I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but reading some of the comments here, I just can’t understand how someone could watch this many episodes of this show, and not enjoy this arc!
Oh well - I freaking loved it.

Such beautiful animation, incredible soundtracks, great humor, drama, action, heartfelt moments, character & plot development - it had it all!

I do ship Sougo & Kagura - they crack me up, always beating the shit out of each other at every opportunity for no reason, lol.

Really liked Asaemon - hope we see more of her!

Takasugi... mmmmm
That new dude is obviously bad news in a big way.

Once again, Shinsengumi acting like bros & helping out the Yorozuya! Makes me smile. :)
Poor Gin’s nipple...
May 8, 2018 4:17 PM
Apr 2018
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Dec 19, 2018 8:36 AM

Dec 2012
BEAUTIFUL ENDING!!!

Mar 30, 2019 3:37 AM

Jul 2016
GosuGian said:
BEAUTIFUL ENDING!!!

It really was a wonderful ending to the arc.
May 1, 2019 7:16 AM

May 2015
DAMN! GIVE GINTOKIS NIPPLE BACK!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 17, 2019 11:05 PM

Sep 2017
A damn good conclusion to the Reaper arc. Who the fuck brings guns to a sword fight? That isn't playing very fair. So Asaemon's previous Dad was trash, but he was bailed by Gintoki. Gintoki really can't do any wrong. It was touching seeing Gintoki promise Asaemon he wouldn't die while waiting for her to become a great executioner. The sword exchange between Asaemon and Gintoki was really fucking awesome. Did Yaemon really set Asaemon up this entire time to have her take the fall so he could be the 18th? The scene where Yaemon took those grunts down was beautifully animated. We finally get to see the evil Shogun-to-maybe-be. I was worried Asaemon actually committed suicide for a moment there. Happy ending, great worldbuilding, Gintama strikes again. Has there been a single bad Gintama serious arc? Seriously, someone help me remember. I can't think of any bad Gintama arcs, much less serious arcs. Only "meh" arc was that Gundam Elizabeth Arc from Gintama'.
Sep 12, 2019 4:52 AM
Apr 2018
This arc was fucking amazing. Just like the Barangaki arc, it was short and impactful. Absolutely loved the art style they used for the flashbacks. It's like they took what they did in the Red Spider Arc and made it even better. Although I'm not fan of some of the faces in the new art style, the fights are the best looking they've ever been.
Sep 12, 2019 4:54 AM
Apr 2018
Gytanzo said:
A damn good conclusion to the Reaper arc. Who the fuck brings guns to a sword fight? That isn't playing very fair. So Asaemon's previous Dad was trash, but he was bailed by Gintoki. Gintoki really can't do any wrong. It was touching seeing Gintoki promise Asaemon he wouldn't die while waiting for her to become a great executioner. The sword exchange between Asaemon and Gintoki was really fucking awesome. Did Yaemon really set Asaemon up this entire time to have her take the fall so he could be the 18th? The scene where Yaemon took those grunts down was beautifully animated. We finally get to see the evil Shogun-to-maybe-be. I was worried Asaemon actually committed suicide for a moment there. Happy ending, great worldbuilding, Gintama strikes again. Has there been a single bad Gintama serious arc? Seriously, someone help me remember. I can't think of any bad Gintama arcs, much less serious arcs. Only "meh" arc was that Gundam Elizabeth Arc from Gintama'.

No, there hasn't been a single bad Gintama serious arc. Although the Yoshiwara in Flames arc had kind of a shitty ending.
Sep 23, 2019 12:28 PM

May 2016
The feels hit me hard RIP Yaemon you died a clean death.

Ihope Asaemon behead Histuboshi's head in the worst way for taking advantage of
you and Yaemon.

Gin chan's falsh back were really intense as always, he was a hero even when he was
at that age where you don't even wanna listen to anyone. 5/5
Nov 20, 2019 4:34 PM
Apr 2016
I swear Takasugi is everywhere. The ending was very sweet and beautiful, this arc in general was very sweet and beautiful! It was very close to developing into a bigger arc, too, so, from what I see, they will just ensue this arc on later episodes.
Nov 22, 2019 10:55 PM

Mar 2015
Yikes new enemy appears, completely severs that head!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 8, 2020 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome ending to a great arc, I hope we'll see more of Asaemon.
Funny to see Takasugi was somehow involved with this aswell.
Apr 12, 2020 8:01 AM

Aug 2019
Sweet ending to a great arc. Sougo and Kagura moments and that nipple again lol. Takasugi appears and a new villain, we'll see how the story develops further. The bits of Gintoki's past that are revealed always manage to hit me in the feels.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
Jul 26, 2020 9:45 AM

May 2009
This one is definitely on my top 3 arcs of Gintama so far.
Asaemon has got to be one of my favorite characters, despite that her name reminds me of a Digimon lol.
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 26, 2020 11:23 PM

Aug 2018
Amazing arc, for some reason I almost cried! Gin is so cool.
I'm guessing there will be a continuation to this arc about the Hitotsubashi, I'm really looking forward to that!

Oct 9, 2020 1:00 AM

Jul 2020
I actually was confused with this maybe I wasn't paying attention enough so I have looked up for something to explain everything and I understand it now lmao

Anyway, the story is actually good especially it has some backgrounds on Gin and I was right that he came from jail when he and Otose met in Otose's husband's grave.

And Takasugi is pretty much involve in every serious enemy lol.
Feb 4, 2021 6:00 PM
Jan 2017
hisokathebutcher said:
" he killed your own father after your real father said he would sell you for his own sake , now kill gin for killing your old fart " yeah right , what an awsome well writting villan . The worst episode ever

right? I didn't understand that part.
"He killed your father, also your father was a total scum bag and Gin beat him up because he offered you to random men as a child, Gin is the bad guy here". Nonetheless I thought it was a good arc.
Feb 13, 2021 4:37 PM

Jul 2020
as expected gintama, the arc has a deep flashback. overall 5/5 for this great arc!!!!

ps: we're having Madao next episode
Feb 25, 2021 2:55 AM

May 2020
What a great arc! I definitely enjoyed it.
Yeah, the last part was quite emotional and touching.
See ya, I’m going to search up of what just happened in this arc.
Apr 19, 2021 7:15 AM

Dec 2018
Ehh people love this episode but this episode is precisely why Gintama is being held back in my eyes. Serious Gintama is full of melodrama and stupid cliches, and that's very un-self-aware for a show known for its self-awareness in anime tropes.

Flashbacks in the middle of a fight or important event, talking in the middle of the fight, and always so predictably humanizing the villains in their final moments. It's always like this, moreover emphasizing characters' reactions to be 'tearjerking'. It's downright cheap and poorly executed.

There are countless ways to make an arc like this good, because the writing isn't inherently bad or anything. But Gintama never really goes beyond traditional shounen cliches and becomes incredibly melodramatic whenever it tries to serious. Honestly bad arc.
. . .
Apr 21, 2021 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Didn't expect a serious arc until later in this season, but that didn't stop this from hitting just as hard as others. Definitely wasn't expecting to learn more about gin's past but I'm not complaining.
Overall a great arc, characters were great and takasugi at the end is scary as ever.
Jun 8, 2021 1:04 AM
Sep 2020
story of this arc was half stupid and half great....Like literally it was cheesy and the gunsmen just stood there like idiots..Gin-san's backstory always makes me cry...comedy was pretty good....build up and foreshadowing was great
Jul 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Apr 2021
This arc was really great. Finally, Gin-san backstory is making some sense to me. The new Villain is also looking dope and badass.
Aug 28, 2021 4:40 PM

Apr 2018
This was a beautiful arc.
Yaemon did the most badass thing ever before he died, that 5-man knock out was EPIC.
Well, Shinsuke is working together with the Hitotsubashi Faction.
It was obvious that one of them would die this arc, I'm grateful that she's the one that lived through all this mess.
Gin's still alive too, with a cut in his neck and a harsh past. He's still living trying to clean his life.
Gin running to Otose's tombstone in the end BROKE my HEART.
The visuals were beautiful in the end.

The OST, the insert song, the visuals, the way they directed this arc, the emotions I felt while watchin this arc. Just incredible.

She took his nipple in the end xD

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Nov 22, 2021 4:29 AM

Jun 2020
This arc was beautiful. Loved it from start to finish. So does Gin have a scar now?

Nov 25, 2021 3:59 PM

May 2018
This arc had peak art! it's amazing the amount of dedication the staff did for the details and colors, so most of the episode was screenshot worthy lmao

Looking forward to the next episodes, can see it's getting real soon
Feb 20, 2022 5:01 AM

Feb 2012
We got more glimpses about Gintoki pasts and Yaemon was cute.
Win-Win

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Feb 28, 2022 6:27 PM

Nov 2010
Damn that must have hurt! lol Kagura and Sougo has such an interesting relationship.

I wish Asaemon would cleanse my soul as well.
May 6, 2022 1:28 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh so everything ends well except for Gintoki's nipple xD but it's nice that the seppuku was only metaphorical for her previous identity.
Jul 27, 2022 10:13 PM
Jul 2018
This was Peak episode of Gintama!
Nobunobu the other Shogun is here and ofcourse he is working with Takasugi. I was surprised when he slashed 18th head.
The Animation was amazing and the OP song at the end was perfect. I could feel all the emotions flowing in this episode. Truly a masterpiece. Gintoki is easily one of the best character in anime!

Next episode, Madao is back with horror story!
Aug 14, 2022 7:07 AM

Apr 2013
Of course they would redeem her asshole of a brother... for no reason at all. This whole arc was one predictable mess.
Aug 16, 2022 9:20 AM

Jan 2020
Did Takasugi gave Yaemon some spare clothes? Lol
Aug 16, 2022 9:24 AM

Jan 2020
Someone got a nipple fetish....
Aug 16, 2022 9:36 AM

Jan 2020
Well I guess this arc turned out to be mostly dedicated to Asaemon....they put some effort into the flashback art even though I was hoping they put more into the fight scenes....
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM

Jan 2020
My biggest gripe of this arc is how Yaemon's last moment is handled, he suddenly turned 180 only to be killed by a new villain...even him being redeemed and alive is still better in my book because that's seem like one of the thing of this show, to collect as many character as possible....
Oct 17, 2022 6:12 AM

Aug 2018
Really nice seeing another arc ending like this , it’s very brutal how Yaemon got his head cut off but it fits some darker parts of Gintama’s plot .

I hope things become more fired up and unusual from here
Dec 20, 2022 11:14 PM

Apr 2022
the animation was on point, i love how vibrant the colors are. man this was great.

also, i really thought asaemon's head got chopped.
May 13, 2023 12:33 PM

Mar 2019
Takasugi!!!! Amazing ending for what's about to come in the future. The new character seems really interesting and Asaemon's brother was nice in the end. The way Takasugi warned Nobunobu about him or Gintoki gave me chills, I can't wait for that. The ending of the arc itself was all right, didn't feel emotional but it was still nice. Also great animation.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jan 2, 11:54 AM

Feb 2018
She surely became a great executioner! Loved how she cut the mask, their handcuffs and ofc.. took Gin's nipple again ;D
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

252 by zachashah »»
May 26, 12:15 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.