Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2021 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
I remember when around the time moe was at its rising peak two decades back with series like Lucky Star would pop the veins of thousands of anime fans, especially those who grew up watching anime at its edgiest. They would go above and beyond online megaphoning their hate of the moe concept on the internet and dogpile on anyone who even so much as defend it. And the thing is it's generally accepted within Western anime circles. Is it still very much the same?

AhegyaoMar 25, 2021 8:37 AM
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Jan 2013
How could it possibly be the same? Have you seen what anime art looks like these days, and how many CGDCT/SoL type shows there are?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Jun 2016
/a/ still gets anti-moe threads from time to time so it's still cool I guess.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 25, 2021 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
nah its lame and just makes you seem like an asshole
Mar 25, 2021 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
nah everybody loves moe since its great.
Mar 25, 2021 8:57 AM

Aug 2018
why would anyone hate moe? moe is good.
Mar 25, 2021 9:04 AM

May 2018
"Is it still cool to hate moe?"

Cool is not what you do but how you do it...Theoretically you can hate MOE in a cool way.
Mar 25, 2021 9:22 AM

Feb 2019
I think we are all too cool to hate moe.
"We make demands because we have nothing. We pray because it won't come true. We fall because we fly." (Sundome C48)
Mar 25, 2021 9:28 AM

Apr 2019
Whoever "hates" moe and rants about it is a hater and an idiot. Being an idiot is never cool.
Just not watching disliked genres is the correct way to deal with one's preferences.

Mar 25, 2021 9:31 AM

Jan 2008
I didn't dislike moe to be cool. I just don't like those character types in general. Or more specifically female moe. I don't mind male moe nearly as much.
Mar 25, 2021 9:51 AM

Jun 2017
But then, what IS it cool to hate these days? Gotta keep up to date.

Mar 25, 2021 10:22 AM

Jun 2011
Tirinchas said:
But then, what IS it cool to hate these days? Gotta keep up to date.

Isekai is the new punching bag for the eternally outraged otaku.
Mar 25, 2021 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
It's definitely still cool. The problem is that all of us "moe" fans grew up and no longer care, which is a real problem.

It stops being fun when the other side becomes impervious to bait.
Mar 25, 2021 10:26 AM

Dec 2018
Whilst moe anime aren’t a big thing the moe art style has kinda just been incorporated into a lot of new and airing anime. As a result of that I don’t think there’s too much hate towards moe shows, at least not in the broader anime community.
Mar 25, 2021 11:32 AM

Jul 2017
not cool
moe is still an aspect of otaku culture
though its agreeable we are receiving less and less quality moe stuff rn
Mar 25, 2021 11:36 AM

Oct 2010
People learned to stick to their niches I guess. Still too soon to expect Western distribution companies to not act like moe is their kryptonite, though.
Mar 25, 2021 11:40 AM

Jun 2020
I'm yet to see a single anime fan that hates moe lol.
Mar 25, 2021 11:45 AM

May 2020
Moe is only hated on /a/ to some extent.
Mar 25, 2021 11:55 AM
Aug 2020
No, it seems more people are fine with it compared to 2013 when I saw a lot of people shitting on it
Mar 25, 2021 12:05 PM

Feb 2021
don't think it ever was cool to be a hater in general.
Protesters, assemble!!
Mar 25, 2021 12:16 PM

May 2016
Ahegyao said:
I remember when around the time moe was at its rising peak two decades back with series like Lucky Star would pop the veins of thousands of anime fans,

Well, I mean, yeah. Because Lucky Star was a piece of shit and easily one of the worst anime I've ever seen, alongside Kimera and No Game No Life.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 25, 2021 12:18 PM

Jun 2019
Personally i love moe anime characters, ie the girls in Nekopara, GochiUsa, Yuru Yuri, Hidamari Sketch, Azur Lane: Slow Ahead etc. But i only got into anime in a big way 10 years ago when i way well into my 20's. I already spent my young years out clubbing and having fun, so i don't see anything wrong with enjoying cute anime characters in an easy to watch cgdct/SoL show. Why hate on something just because it's not 'edgy' or action packed with teenage angst pouring from every scene?

Edgy anime (ie SAO, Seven Deadly Sins, AoT) has its place, but as i get older I prefer my chilled easy to watch anime with cute characters. If that's moe, then bring on the moe!
Mar 25, 2021 12:43 PM

Mar 2020
Was it ever cool to hate moe? You were just denying yourself the pleasure of wanting to cuddle and head pat adorable characters because you wanted to be cool with other normies. Now that anime is not so niche, moe isnt so off putting to the masses.

Mar 25, 2021 12:49 PM

Oct 2015
Certainly a lot less so, but they exist, and still pride themselves over that. If you watch vids of retro anime, you'll definitely see comments that go something along the lines of "Back when anime girls didn't look like 10 year olds." or "Damn anime girls used to look like actual people" that get thousands of likes. But those are the more casual crowd I feel, so in more anime-passionate circles this is largely obsolete.

jal90 said:
Still too soon to expect Western distribution companies to not act like moe is their kryptonite, though.

Why exactly would you say that? I have some idea as to why, but I want to confirm it, if you would.
Mar 25, 2021 12:55 PM

Nov 2007
I don't think there's much to complain about regarding moe in and of itself at this point. Although, hating on things, anything really, is always cool. There's no reason to pretend you think something is flawless just because people like it. People like ice cream, but some people are probably better off not eating it. No reason to cry because someone says "ice cream has too much sugar in it." Anime and the visual languages they employ have a story and logic behind them which don't get recognized by everyone just being nice and letting things be all of the time for the sake of preserving the fragile egos of other anime fans.

If you are so intolerant of criticism to the point where you say something like "people shouldn't make negative remarks about things they don't like. They just shouldn't watch them in the first place" then how is that better than "censoring" "art?" I'd say it's worse. We should think about things in their full complexity, acknowledge the good and the bad, not just praise everything blindly and ignore stuff that doesn't appeal to us at face value. It's all about democratic freedom of expression, not freedom to not have your feelings hurt, right? Isn't that what people always say to the social justice "snowflakes" whose opinions they don't like to hear? : ) Someone criticizing something you like is not a personal attack, no matter how strongly you may believe watching a certain type of anime is literal part of your identity. Though if it becomes a personal attack, then of course it's stupid.
Mar 25, 2021 12:56 PM

Aug 2020
No it isn't cool to hate moe, no one cares if you like it or not, since it's just an opinion.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Mar 25, 2021 12:58 PM

Apr 2020
It's only because moetards went full retard and dismiss criticism by saying ''it's okay to like trash, leave me alone xD uWu''.

Same thing with isekaifags. Can't kill what's already dead.
Mar 25, 2021 1:03 PM

Oct 2010
Auron_ said:
Certainly a lot less so, but they exist, and still pride themselves over that. If you watch vids of retro anime, you'll definitely see comments that go something along the lines of "Back when anime girls didn't look like 10 year olds." or "Damn anime girls used to look like actual people" that get thousands of likes. But those are the more casual crowd I feel, so in more anime-passionate circles this is largely obsolete.

jal90 said:
Still too soon to expect Western distribution companies to not act like moe is their kryptonite, though.

Why exactly would you say that? I have some idea as to why, but I want to confirm it, if you would.

Main reason is because moe shows seem less likely to get licensed, dubbed and/or streamed by platforms. I guess it depends on the place and market though. Here in Spain it's ridiculous, in the anime industry it's understandable because it has always been lackluster and the main distributors seem to only pick movies and edgy shows, but in manga it's specially absurd. There is a market for everything except moe slice of life. Like what the fuck.
Mar 25, 2021 1:37 PM

Jun 2011
Kaasfondue said:
It's only because moetards went full retard and dismiss criticism by saying ''it's okay to like trash, leave me alone xD uWu''.

But shounentards are just as if not more susceptible to ape like aggression when the thing they like gets criticized.
Mar 25, 2021 1:46 PM

Jun 2012
Still hate it. You can have cute characters if the show has substance, but "moe" itself isn't substance. CGDCT is one of my least liked genres, since you could just browse cute animal videos online, and it would serve the same purpose.

But unlike moe anime characters, animals are genuine. "Rant" over.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Mar 25, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2020
Ahegyao said:
Kaasfondue said:

But shounentards are just as if not more susceptible to ape like aggression when the thing they like gets criticized.
I'm saying moetards gave up and have accepted they and everything they like is trash.
Mar 25, 2021 2:14 PM

Aug 2018
If you're insecure and a Shounen-tard; yeah, you would probably dislike moe-shit just for the validating by other insecure Shounen-tards on the internet. I honesty don't care.

I just wanna relax after getting home after work and see some cute shit, you know. Don't forget the moe market is basicly dominated by unmarried 30+ year olds. Moe moe kyun.
Timz0rMar 25, 2021 2:20 PM
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Mar 25, 2021 2:19 PM

Aug 2018
Many moe anime get hit by moral warriors.. And there has been more moral warriors lately in the anime community, at least on MAL.. That character can't be loli, or some other random stuff like that.. So there is group of people, who take attacks like that cool, I guess..
Mar 25, 2021 2:22 PM

Apr 2020
Can somebody please remind me: What again was meant with moe?
Mar 25, 2021 2:42 PM

Jun 2016
These days that standpoint seems to be held in the same regard as people who hate all old or all new anime ~ sure they exist, but hardly anyone takes them seriously. Power-fantasy isekai long took over the lazy end of the market anyhow. Moeshit and even idolshit isn't a guaranteed sell anyone. Now, if more aesthetically serious anime could get proper animation instead of trash like Gibiate or Ex-Arm being the stand-outs for all the wrong reasons, maybe this will all be put to rest.
Mar 25, 2021 2:47 PM

Nov 2008
Timz0r said:
Don't forget the moe market is basicly dominated by unmarried 30+ year olds. Moe moe kyun.

@Zelkiiro

Bruh, I have never seen someone hate Lucky Star this much. It's pretty inoffensive...what makes it any worse than other shows with girls just doing cute or funny things? Like Azumanga Daioh or Nichijou? Or do those suck too?

The only complaints I see for these shows are ones like "they are boring/nothing happens".And I can see where people are coming from if they are just "bored". But your EXTREMELY edgy hate comments on it rouse my curiosity. What is so wrong with it?

Mar 25, 2021 3:07 PM

Jun 2016
Chiibi said:
Bruh, I have never seen someone hate Lucky Star this much. It's pretty inoffensive...what makes it any worse than other shows with girls just doing cute or funny things? Like Azumanga Daioh or Nichijou? Or do those suck too?

The only complaints I see for these shows are ones like "they are boring/nothing happens".And I can see where people are coming from if they are just "bored". But your EXTREMELY edgy hate comments on it rouse my curiosity. What is so wrong with it?

I know you didn't ask me in particular but as someone with disdain for Lucky Star (but not CGDCT on the whole), IMO it did two things that killed it. 1. Leaned way too hard into referential humor that both dated it and led it to flat-out steal jokes from other anime that actually tried to make them funny in context, and 2. Thought pointing out casual occurrences was worth laughing about most of the rest of the time. Unlike Azumanga that leaned into the surreal or K-On! that had enough little touches to feel like an actual afterschool club, Lucky Star just played out regular occurrences like 2000's cell phone usage and shopping at small businesses like it was all inherently funny.

That said, there were people who acted like the "moe" wave Lucky Star and the like heralded were going to kill anime with cutesy fluff and drown out deepshit with seasons loaded with slice-of-life & high-school rom-coms. The moe style did heavily impact anime, but stuff like Made in Abyss and all the post-Madoka dark magical girl stuff have made it pretty clear that serious anime and moe aren't mutually exclusive like they thought they were.
Mar 25, 2021 3:18 PM

Aug 2017
No, it isn't cool to hate lol. I mean, why?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 25, 2021 5:09 PM

Nov 2008
TK8878 said:
1. Leaned way too hard into referential humor that both dated it and led it to flat-out steal jokes from other anime that actually tried to make them funny in context

I really loved the referential humor though...all the otaku stuff was what set it apart from the other CGDCT shows for me. I don't really feel like it "stole" jokes from other anime...unless you're talking about the Haruhi stuff which was intentional because of Aya Hirano's role.

Mar 25, 2021 5:12 PM
Dec 2017
i couldn't give 2 single shits at all what anyone else says how much they hate about moe.

Mar 25, 2021 5:19 PM

Aug 2019
I don’t care what others say let them enjoy their shounen and I’ll enjoy my CGDCT, no need to argue
Mar 25, 2021 5:29 PM

Jun 2011
I don’t think it was ever cool but... yeah when cute anime girls were practically all we were getting I was definitely whining. I am glad lashes seem to be making a return.

All I want is thick full lashes like the older anime have. Been seeing more modern anime take this up so, I am happy.

This really was an artstyle complaint for a lot of people.... but we haven’t seen true moe stuff... in a long time. Moe moe was more than just cgdct.... in a way K-On killed what old moe was...
Energetic-NovaMar 25, 2021 5:39 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 25, 2021 5:31 PM

May 2013
Haha, damn that takes me back. When moe hating was popular.

Simpler times, simpler times.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 25, 2021 5:40 PM

Apr 2020
never been relevant after k-on happened

Mar 25, 2021 5:40 PM
Nov 2018
Almost all anime has moe in its DNA since like 2008 so you either embrace it or quit anime altogether.
Mar 25, 2021 5:42 PM

May 2016
Chiibi said:
@Zelkiiro

Azumanga Daioh is a classic and should be held up as the gold standard of high school comedy anime, and Nichijou falls a bit flat because it's trying way, way too hard to simultaneously match Azumanga Daioh's down-to-earth style of situational comedy while also being absurdly over-the-top, which makes it feel like it's having an identity crisis, but is otherwise fine.

Lucky Star's problem is threefold:
1. As already mentioned, the comedy does not work at all. Its jokes are comprised almost entirely of either lazy references to other shows or "lol gurl play vidya gaem an by aniem dat so funni" crap. It's intellectually insulting.
2. It is just repulsive to look at. Only No Game No Life is more obnoxiously poisonous to the eyes. I'd rather look at literally anything else.
3. The characters are vapid and unrelatable, which is a fucking death sentence in comedy.

Lucky Star is a blight and a disease that forever poisons Kyoto Animation's backlog, and its creation was a mistake.

Mar 25, 2021 5:47 PM

Sep 2020
I like generic moe anime rather than generic shounen.
Dunno why. But yeah.
Mar 25, 2021 5:56 PM

Feb 2021
I think it is okay to hate moe.
Many people have many opinions
simple answer
Mar 25, 2021 6:14 PM

Nov 2008
Zelkiiro said:

1. As already mentioned, the comedy does not work at all. Its jokes are comprised almost entirely of either lazy references to other shows or "lol gurl play vidya gaem an by aniem dat so funni" crap. It's intellectually insulting.

I thought it was hilarious...particularly when Kagami is looking at Full Metal Panic yaoi.

2. It is just repulsive to look at.

Um no, the character design is friggin adorable? Way better than Azumanga's, where everyone has black or brown hair except Chiyo and the same face. This show wasn't afraid to use COLORS...thank God...

3. The characters are vapid and unrelatable, which is a fucking death sentence in comedy.

What? Konata is one of the most relatable characters ever created from a nerd's POV. There were plenty of times she made me laugh because I do some of the same things she does. Though without her, the show would not be nearly as good. She really steals it. Although Akira was great too...especially her personality switching off camera.

Mar 25, 2021 6:18 PM

May 2016
Chiibi said:

What? Konata is one of the most relatable characters ever created from a nerd's POV. There were plenty of times she made me laugh because I do some of the same things she does.

I'm a nerd, too. And from my point of view, Konata acted like a fucking alien most of the time and I could not relate for even a second.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Characters that you think would NOT CARE if somebody saw them NAKED?

IpreferEcchi - 20 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» Do you like female characters who choose compassionate and kind guys?

fallout45 - 5 hours ago

24 by Prideful_Lion »»
3 minutes ago

» Troll the audience episodes

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

14 by Spunkert »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is the best troll on MAL?

Ba-Cii10 - 2 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
12 minutes ago

» What's your favorite retcon in anime?

Catalano - 14 minutes ago

0 by Catalano »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.