Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2021 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pacing seems to slowed down a bit but it's kinda interesting to see what some characters go through during their recovery process. Never give up hope.

It also seems this anime still has more character chemistry between McQueen and Teiou. Ending had more emotional impact than usual imo.
Feb 15, 2021 8:12 AM

Apr 2010
Well it was a pretty interesting episode.
I have to say that i feel sorry for Rice trying so hard only to find out the people where rooting for Bourbon, seeing Horse racing usually involves gambling my guess is a lot of people lost money.
Anyway it would be nice to see Rice in a race again.

Honestly it would like a race with Teiou and Bourbon as well if they ever recover.
Feb 15, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2014
I really feel bad for Rice Shower. Such a tough moment for her. Her dream, her whole life gonna be destroyed by some random annoying people who don't know about sportsmanship. I know you guys are very disappointed that Rice Shower won instead of Bourbon, but criticize and blame on her isn't a nice thing to do.
Gladly, she decides to run again.
何それ?意味分かんない
Feb 15, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
Mejiro McQueen is a hot-shot at being the winner status once again, but honestly, I'm looking in between the lines of Rice Shower and Mihono Bourbon, the latter's attempt at being the Triple Crown winner upset by an underdog. Welp, akin to real life gambling I suppose, when you set expectations for the expected, and it turns out otherwise.

Since the team leader (Teio) herself is still out of commission, leave the interrogation of Rice to the team instead...and I have to say that it was quite the provocation to question her background. No wonder she's been stalking Bourbon that she idolized and admired the episode before.

In every essence, Teio and Bourbon's circumstances have met in consonance, but tyring to force Rice Shower to get back into racing...as funny as it looks, they're unintentionally training her endurance instead, as much as she lost all confidence post-race.

The underdog is massively hated in races, and I can understand where Rice Shower's coming from, but if there's no "push to shove", there is no progress to keep pushing. The exchange of roles between Rice and Bourbon, as significant as it is, it's a good stepping stone for the former.

Would be nice to have Rice Shower compete in the Tennoushou again, you go girl, the Assassin in Black horse girl!
Feb 15, 2021 10:15 AM

Dec 2013
My favorite episode so far, Rice Shower had to carry so much on her chest, loved how we could see her when Bourbon was training and then we got a full episode focus on her.
Feb 15, 2021 11:39 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Another very interesting with a new rival pair Rice and Bourbon, I love when they switch focus like that it's always refreshing
Feb 15, 2021 1:53 PM

Apr 2015
So a new rivalry was born, Poor Rice Shower. That must be the worst feeling ever. Winning a race but no one happy for you cause you crushed someone else's dream. Always a tough thing in competitive sports.

Nice bonding moments between Bourbon and Teio and both of them managed to talk Rice Shower back into racing!

Oh Spe-chan, never change!!
Feb 15, 2021 3:03 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Really nice episode, loved the ending too.
Feb 15, 2021 3:29 PM

May 2018
For a girl we only really "meet" this ep, I really felt for Rice Shower. She needs a hug.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Feb 15, 2021 3:44 PM

Jun 2016
No bully!!!! XD ;P

Feb 15, 2021 4:25 PM

Oct 2020
I love that Bourbon and Teio, who both lost before came together to support Rice and convinced her to run again.

Feb 15, 2021 4:27 PM

Oct 2013
Rice Shower new best girl, cause she feels real to me. I liked the end when she didn't just do the generic "oh your right everything is gonna be ok if I just run, thanks gurls wooo"...no I loved how she said they were being selfish and that they have no idea how she feels cause they are liked, but she'll still try...nice good compromise.
Even if the girls are coming from a good place, it's hard when people who have no experience or have never faced a specific problem try to get you to get over it. Teio and Bourbon are popular, loved, and respected by everyone and have never faced what Rice Shower has faced so there's no way it'll be as easy as they think. But I'm glad she's trying.

Now the other horse girls either are non stop up beat or if they do have to overcome some huddle it's always something personal like an injury or a rival or their personal goal.
All those things are all internal problems that they have to come over by themselves cause it something close to them, but Rice Showers problem is much more external and human.

If it's an injury you over come it by rehab and training, if it's a rival that's a one-on-one battle between you and them that you just put your heart into defeating, if it's losing a dream or something like that again that's your own personal psyche that you have to overcome and find a new way to power through.
But for Rice Shower it's not as easy to overcome since it's something she has no control over. I mean how do you overcome other people's opinions, how do you fight television, newspapers, magazines all highlighting you in a negative way and turning you into the bad guy. And even if you try, look at what happened at the concert where no one is there to see her or give her any support or when she was just walking on the street you have everyone ragging on you or just saying things that are just negative about you.

So it's been awesome to see a different problem we haven't seen before, and I loved when she called herself a heel since that's how everyone sees her. It reminds me how some people can embrace that, like in the WWE some guys like that style of acting and they make it their own. And you have a lot of people that support that, cuz there are a lot of people out there that like the more you against the world type character or the character that is the outcast. Myself included always liked the heels or "bad guys" in movies that didn't go along with the popular opinion or fought against the hero.
But it's rough to see Rice Shower who wants to be liked and be someone that brings happiness to peoples faces get branded the bad guy.
I hope in later episodes we see her get fans, even if she still portrayed as a heel.
It'd be cool to see a small group of people coming out supporting her for being the disrupter and being that Assassin that takes people down. So then she can see it's not everyone that's against here and maybe they'd help her get a new perspective on racing.

Sorry for the college essay! Just felt like one of the first dark and real world type episodes and I loved it and Rice Shower!

What we get....

What we want....
Feb 15, 2021 4:47 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Another Tennoshou race incoming. McQueen seemed ready to created another history at her marks. However, the surrounding looks pretty much messing up considered some of the potential rival had a trouble with her confidence. Yeah, that's the assassin in a black suit, Rice Shower, little arc started.

Such a surprise they took her figure after the previous shocking assassinated toward Bourbon's dream at those special race. Guess the time to finally lifting up her existencies sounds legit. Its like they tried to struck my mind and slapped me right in the face. Because, 'hey, there's a pretty good horse girl, right there! Don't forget about her, guys!'. That's the whole reason behind this episode, i suppose.

So, yeah, the additional enemy is very important to make the incoming race feels so good. Because, well, Tokai injured, and McQueen had no other choice to gave another horse girl a chance to shine! Rice Shower situations might be too sudden, and pretty sure its shock me to death with those kind of treatment. But, well, thats the cruelty of the competitions. No body perfects at everyone eyes, there's always peoples to launched that statement. Good thing Rice Shower found her reason to stayed focus. Nothing could beat the power of rivality....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 15, 2021 6:20 PM

Jan 2011
i'd say this episode is the perfect example of why Rigged fights are a thing , i'd be lying if i wasn't totally shocked when Bourbon lost to some girl i had no idea who she was outside of stalking her ,but for only finally meeting her this week i do feel bad to some degree the gangs reaction of "heavy" is right.

but it was nice seeing everyone being supportive wanting her to run again mainly Bourbon didnt think she'd get so emotional since shes always appeared so stoic
Feb 15, 2021 6:31 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
Although it didn't focus on Mcqueen or Teio this episode, I thought it was decent. It was cool seeing Rice Shower overcome her mental struggles and decide to continue

Feb 15, 2021 8:25 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I felt bad for Rice Shower, but you can’t really blame the fans for wanting Bourbon to win, I even wanted Teio to win back when she raced McQueen lol, but good on Bourbon and Teio, two that had their dreams crushed, for getting her spark back.
Feb 15, 2021 9:44 PM

Nov 2009
LOL

Rice couldn't recognize the uma girls when getting kidnapped until Spe-chan came up and she immediately know it's her.

Poor Rice Shower, feeling guilty for breaking others would-be-achievements.

And she gets scared easily... kinda makes her easy target for bulli

___ ___ ___

On other note, lol @ the girls riding the original "Segway Gyroscooter" to chase Rice around.

(too bad the Segway shutdown and went out of production last year cause no one is interested in the Segway, as Segway not only is too large compared to Hoverboards, it also moves a lot slower and requires more battery use for shorter distance compared to electric scooters and the biggest part is it still costed over 5000 USD for just one scooter... while Hoverboards costed less than 300 USD and Electric Scooter cost less than 500 USD. Both less than 10% of what Segway cost...)
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Feb 15, 2021 10:16 PM
Jul 2013
Very interesting pacing here. Once again the show has skipped many months with only cursery glances at the races we skipped, such as Mejiro Palmer's Arima Kinen victory. Not sure why the show skipped over Tokai Teio's return race in 1992 in the Japan Cup. Seems like they wanted to build up to the 1993 season a lot more.

Very good way of framing Rice Shower. The real life horse was a villain - called the Assassin - for stopping Mihono Bourbon's Triple Crown bid amongst other things. One commenter said that the reason why people didn't like Rice Shower was because of losing money from gambling - that isn't it. Japan hadn't seen a Triple Crown since Symboli Rudolf did it in 1984. After coming so close in 1991 with Tokai Teio, they really wanted to see one in 92 with Mihono Bourbon, one of the most popular horses of the time. Missing out in stunning fashion hurts. I felt this pain for more than a decade as US Triple Crown contenders fell in the Belmont Stakes. It hurts. It's heartbreaking. Especially when you absolutely love the Triple Crown contender.

The 1993 Spring Tenno Sho is one of the best races in Japan racing history - so very much excited it see the show play this one out.

---
Please Contact Crunchyroll And Let Them Know The Subtitles Are Wrong!
- It's Tenno Sho not Tennoushou
- It's Satsuki Sho not Satsukishou
- It's Kikuka Sho not Kikkashou
Feb 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Sep 2019
It's really sad how no one cheered for Rice Shower when she won. Bourbon managed to make Rice decide on joining the race. I liked this episode, Rice was cute.
Feb 16, 2021 1:51 AM

Dec 2015
Gold Ships plan actually worked. (Well at least they managed to get the info from Rice Shower which later helped to solve the problem.)

The master guy from the other horse girl seems really nice. When he recognized that he had pushed her too hard.
Feb 16, 2021 3:09 AM

Feb 2014
All Rice Shower needs right now is a nice and gentle hug. Poor girl. =(

Seeing Rice Shower being portrayed as an "assassin" after she caused an upset by beating Bourbon reminds me of how competitive sport can be a hostile place in general. You get fans of teams that they want to see win a lot and create history in the process, but you have other fans, and even neutral fans as well, who would support the rival team in their chance to cause an upset, even if it means ending another team's chance to make history.

It's expected for fans to react to Rice's win with a mixed reception as she was an underdog or an outsider. Although neutral fans do like to see an upset as predictable wins can get boring, considering how popular Bourbon was with the fans and the nature of betting with horse racing, Rice Shower's victory would cause a lot of people to lose their bet, which partly answers why they would be disappointed. Another reason was mentioned in mjtags11's post above mine, which goes into more insight about the lack of Triple Crown horses during that time.

Either way, the plan to try and convince Rice Shower to race again was difficult (shame Special Week's charm offensive plan failed, as it made me laugh! XD), but Teio and Bourbon gave it their all to try and help Rice Shower.

I'm glad that Bourbon is smiling a lot in this episode, as after her loss and picking up her injury, plus with her trainer apologising to her for pushing her too hard with training, she was inspired to train again in the hopes of racing Rice Shower again in the future, which led to her passionate speech which was able to convince Rice Shower to try her best to race in the upcoming Spring Tennoushou against McQueen.

One part of this scene which made me laugh was when Bourbon criticised Rice Shower for coming in 8th place at the Arima Kinen, which Teio looked away embarrassed as she came in 11th in that same race. XD

Now the upcoming race, hopefully in the next episode, should be a blast. May the best horse girl win!
Feb 16, 2021 3:33 AM

Jan 2015
The previous episode was not worth watching.
But I love this episode & the best girl

Feb 16, 2021 3:41 PM

Jul 2011
Rice Shower should get that dagger she have on her costume and use on Bourbon fans.
But is strange that she doesn't have many fans after placing fairly well in past races.
And, damn! Is Spring already.
Feb 18, 2021 5:03 AM

Oct 2008
w0w! after watching this episode! instead of the MC Tokai & McQueen...i'm now rooting for Rice Shower!!!
5/5.

mjtags11 said:

The 1993 Spring Tenno Sho is one of the best races in Japan racing history - so very much excited it see the show play this one out.

oh damn! i don't wanna spoil it but i checked wiki and its gonna be damn great! the upcoming events of Tenno Sho!
matias067Feb 18, 2021 6:07 AM

Feb 19, 2021 4:40 AM

Oct 2017
Rice Shower's precious. I want her to win the Tennoushou now. The ED visuals were great, Rice was adorable.

Bourbon fans are dumb, imagine blaming Rice cause Bourbon lost. It just means Rice is better than Bourbon and Bourbon wasn't good enough to win.
Feb 20, 2021 3:05 PM

Aug 2013
Haha. I immediately recognized Kiryuu-chan's VA (Kuroda Takaya). I mean Kuronuma's VA hah.
He sounded literally like Kiryuu there. Especially his 済まない
rsc-plFeb 20, 2021 3:11 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 21, 2021 2:34 PM

Nov 2016
Champion or underdog, it's never easy. Would be cool to see Rice feeling proud of herself after another victory.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 1, 2021 3:06 AM

Jul 2015
Must protecc Rice shower from the bad evil audience who keeps booing at her.

On a sidenote, its suspiciously weird how team spica is so good at kidnapping horsegirls

Jul 2, 2021 7:47 AM

Jan 2017
Rice Showers just needs to learn to discern the booing and cheers and the girl will be fine

Bourbon's development during this ep alone is great, her stoic personality is now but gone with the new goal of aiming to beat Rice
Nov 10, 2021 12:52 PM

Nov 2014
Rice's worry is quite understandable. Tho I'd wish for her to start liking her "assassin" position and gain fame for it.
Jan 2, 2022 2:51 AM

Sep 2018
Episode that takes you by surprise, for the fact of focusing much more on the characters glimpsed in the opening, than on the protagonists, who in any case do not lose the scepter of "protagonists". Very Rice Shower centric narration, but it did not turn out to be boring because of the always excellent comedy, thanks to the characters and because it gave ample space to the theme linked to the character of Rice, in doing so the topic was not trivialized. The old Spica method is back, banzai! XD
The ending dedicated to the character of Rice Shower, has shown, without a shadow of a doubt, how much we wanted to focus on his character, so as not to create misunderstandings in the most careless spectators.
Mar 17, 2022 8:44 PM

Jul 2008
Kind of crazy the way time works in this anime. A full year passed in the past couple of episodes?
Sep 21, 2022 4:28 PM
Nov 2019
I'm rooting for Rice Shower!!!
Neat.
Also neat.
And another.
+ another one.
And another one.
Then have one more.
Actually, have two more.
Feb 13, 2023 8:42 AM

Feb 2022
S2 is already so much better and more enjoyable than S1, this Rice arc was my favourite, ngl i was on the edge of crying
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Jul 7, 2023 6:15 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
A horse girl..... who DOESN'T want to win??? Winning a race for her is nowhere near as important as simply being accepted and loved by other people, but Bourbon and Teio convince her otherwise. She doesn't need anyone else's acceptance- she already has the admiration from the one she herself looked up to as a hero, a hero may have destroyed her dream, but also built it back up stronger than before.

Was kind of rolling my eyes at first at the thought of a character who got sad when they won. But as it went on, it was easier to relate. And I like how we never spend more than one episode on one particular drama case. Rice Shower has gotten herself together, and will be racing against McQueen. I hope she smokes everyone.

edit: also dang, more pretty significant time skips. A whole year has passed, and now we're at the same race again?!
BetaMaleUltraJul 7, 2023 6:28 AM

NYANPASU
5700XT

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2021

61 by Xionea »»
Jul 2, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2021

44 by Shocked »»
May 21, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2021

54 by RusiansBF »»
May 16, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2021

49 by RusiansBF »»
May 15, 9:25 AM

Poll: » Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jan 11, 2021

49 by Fujiwara_Chika04 »»
Mar 24, 12:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.