Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 17, 2018 6:43 PM

Apr 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this episode was great!
I really loved the extra scenes of Capone's backstory, that was a really awesome touch that wasn't in the manga, plus the scene that introduced Daifuku!
the last couple shots from this episode can only be described as badass as hell! I can't wait for the meeting of the Straw Hats and the Fire Tank Pirates!!
on top of that, the new visuals in the opening were great ESPECIALLY Luffy vs Katakuri!!
also, the One Piece anime (and manga) will be off next week, so see you in two weeks... ;.;
SamBlackFeb 17, 2018 6:51 PM
Feb 17, 2018 7:40 PM

Dec 2013
Luffy vs Katakuri in the opening has me hyped!

Getting more info about Bege was cool. He’s never been my favourite supernova but I like him more after this episode.

Based Jinbei lol
Feb 17, 2018 8:52 PM

Dec 2014
Nice episode again.

The changed scenes in the OP has me hyped for future stuff.

The moment where everyone rejoices after hearing Sanji would come back as long as they crashed the wedding is such a fantastic scene. It's scenes like this that make the StrawHat some of the most endearing characters ever.

Extended flashback for Bege was nice.

The final few shots with the StrawHats meeting Bege were epic as hell.
Feb 17, 2018 9:16 PM

Jul 2007
"I'll make you an Offer you can't Refuse"

ArtimesGamerFeb 17, 2018 9:44 PM

Feb 17, 2018 9:58 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I approve of the new changes for the visuals in the OP, but the most jaw-dropping moment was the new clips of the tease between Luffy vs. Katakuri. This part gave me so much goosebumps, and I rewatched it over and over again, man! This will be an epic clash to look forward to in the future!

The Strawhats rejoiced once they found out that Sanji is back, banzai!! Luffy was wondering why Jinbe was telling them all about Bege, but it was actually a plan to prepare for the upcoming tea party since their numbers are limited and there are numerous strong enemies in the tea party. Beware of the Ministers.

I love the dark still shots at the final moments of this episode! They look so badass. xD Luffy and Bege, it's going to be an offer you can't refuse!
Feb 17, 2018 10:13 PM

Jul 2016
So was that Lola? Did she finally find herself a husband?
Feb 17, 2018 10:20 PM

Feb 2017
Holy fudge I didn't expect them to put Katakuri vs Luffy in the intro. Also can't wait for the meeting next episode.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
Feb 17, 2018 10:38 PM
Sep 2017
awesome episode
every episode of one piece touches my heart hope this goes on.
and I am also sad that there is no episode next week.
Feb 17, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2015
I’m intrigued now. I don’t think things would be as smooth as Jinbe thinks the key here is the guest of Big mom if by some luck some of them are from Luffy alliance then the odds against the whole Big mom kingdom (thousands of soldiers vs a handful) can be favorable.
Feb 18, 2018 12:46 AM

Aug 2015
awesome episode cant wait to see the wedding crashing by the straw hats.

Feb 18, 2018 2:24 AM

Nov 2016
This was a great exposition episode,making one exited for the upcoming events.I also really liked the anime only parts.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 18, 2018 3:08 AM

Feb 2013
Bege is a horrible man, but he will be useful if they decide to join him.
They should be prepared though, he will betray them for sure.
Feb 18, 2018 3:12 AM

Feb 2018
We all know, one piece is getting better and better,
the funny thing was when Nami was in the badass anime girl mode xd I really hope that they kick big mams ass

well now we need to wait one week... its so hard...
Feb 18, 2018 3:33 AM

Apr 2014
Interesting stuff. I didn't expect the Straw Hats to join Bege. And the Straw Hats' new outfits in the preview are so badass.
Feb 18, 2018 3:36 AM

Jun 2015
Dayum that ending scene was looking clean.
Feb 18, 2018 3:43 AM

Jul 2008
Ha ha, let's get our Godfather on.
Feb 18, 2018 4:08 AM

Sep 2015
oh my god that last scene looked epic as fuck!!

since I've been watching Dragon Ball Super weekly with One Piece, and when they said that there's "5 hours till the start of the tea party", I expectedd a long grind of episodes with only few minutse passing in each ep. That may happen towards the climax of this arc but I'm glad they at least scraped few hours off of that by saying "few hours later" - followed by that epic looking scene with Luffy and Bege staredown ;_;
Feb 18, 2018 4:13 AM

Jul 2010
This was a good ep, Capone history was interesting also Luffy joining him for temporary alliance seems pretty interesting.All of them in the suits at the end damn everyone was looking good :D
Feb 18, 2018 5:06 AM
Nov 2010
For all the amazeballz of this arc, it's felt a bit empty in a weird way, and this episode helped me figure out why.

The writing iz crap. It's not the arc itself, it's the exzecution.

It hit me when Jimbei was suddenly all like, "oh btwz Luffz, I didn't say this beforz but [exposition backstory]this iz what viewerz at home needz to know so we can write mor thingz that will happen[/280lb crutch between the eyebrowz]. I know it's nutz but whatevz we got plotz."

zzz

I mean, for crap sake, I'm not looking at One Piece for my taste of political intrigue here. It's charm lies mainly in it's linear plot, tbh.
Flashbacks aside, and flashbacks aside, and Naruto, it normally does a pretty understandable job of recusing foes as new allies, etc. But normally there's even the tiniest bit of foreshadowing, and at the very least it's an episode or two focused directly on the duck-cum-swan at hand...but this came across as so tacked on it made me cringe.

First time in about 5 years I've bothered to change my rating on this...

...not that it might not change again next week. ;)
Feb 18, 2018 6:18 AM

Mar 2016
Bege is a badass! He's a ruthless gangster. And now both his crew and the strawhats will crash the wedding! This is going to be epic!
Feb 18, 2018 6:46 AM

Aug 2012
My gawd, this episode was good :D
Firstly, we got greeted with the another awesome Opening sequence (Luffy vs Katakuri) I was actually surprised that the opening didn't spill "that much".

Also, the repeated scene from last episode with Sanji his true feelings (it felt like for a couple seconds he reverted to his younger self ;A;) and Luffy his radiant, calm but sweet smile (really, when that happened in the manga I was so happy ^-^, but also this time it got to me in the anime).

I think it's cool they added Bege's background, 'cause it filled the episode more and made me feel like: yeah this was a satisfying episode, well filled.

Also, the ending sequence with Luffy's "gang" and Bege's gang... wow that was surprisingly so freaking cool and badass (more so than the manga, is what I think. It left a scary impact of Luffy and the group).

I'm glad that they don't air a next ep to be honest. The manga is on a break too, so it won't be getting caught up this way and the episodes won't be stretched out too much.
Feb 18, 2018 9:14 AM

Feb 2015
An explanation episode. Obviously we were all thinking about how a the crew would face Big Mom, cause in actual conditions it would be very difficult.
Trusting in Capone Bege is a risky decision, he could betray anyone and in the middle of the shooting will be the Germa and they are gonna choose a side.
Feb 18, 2018 9:25 AM

Sep 2013
Stretched out as usual, bege is a psychopath that wants to make chaos but they must join him for now.
Feb 18, 2018 11:55 AM

Sep 2010
Looking forward to seeing Luffy and crew in their new getup. The wedding / tea party should be very interesting!
Feb 18, 2018 1:56 PM

May 2013
DiangeloKun18 said:

And damn my boys looking sick in that last scene.

True i even stopped video to take screenshot

OT : No episode until the 4th

Feb 18, 2018 3:05 PM

Nov 2017
I really hope that since countdown of Tea Party that they are not going to make as in DBS where time goes by very slowly.
Feb 18, 2018 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
Very interesting episode. We heard about Beges past and how he became that crazy man he is. Typical straw hats, I think they would do anything to bring back a friend <3

And crashing a tea party of Big Mom is definitely something you risk your life.
So funny when Jimbei mentioned they're 10 people xD

And now I understand why Pekoms got kidnapped and what's about that scene at the cliff where Bege shot at Pekoms. I didn't expect Bege being so crazy to try to kill Big Mom. Jimbeis suggestion to ally with Bege is the perfect way to save Sanjis family.

And damn that last scene was just sooooo epic. Like some people here mentioned I also stopped the video for a closer look and making a screenshot :D

Feb 18, 2018 3:18 PM

Mar 2013
Is this godfather?
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Feb 18, 2018 4:00 PM

Feb 2015
Why does there have to be a break next week after getting me so hyped?
Feb 18, 2018 6:59 PM
Jun 2015
That last scene...DAMN! This is gonna be so awesome.
Feb 18, 2018 8:12 PM

Mar 2015
OH SHIT THAT LAST SCENE WAS AWESOME

And the episode as a whole served really well to the overall buildup, really can't wait to see how this goes down.

A fortnight can't pass by fast enough!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 18, 2018 9:29 PM

Dec 2012
YiS said:
For all the amazeballz of this arc, it's felt a bit empty in a weird way, and this episode helped me figure out why.

It hit me when Jimbei was suddenly all like, "oh btwz Luffz, I didn't say this beforz but [exposition backstory]this iz what viewerz at home needz to know so we can write mor thingz that will happen[/280lb crutch between the eyebrowz]. I know it's nutz but whatevz we got plotz."

zzz

I mean, for crap sake, I'm not looking at One Piece for my taste of political intrigue here. It's charm lies mainly in it's linear plot, tbh.
Flashbacks aside, and flashbacks aside, and Naruto, it normally does a pretty understandable job of recusing foes as new allies, etc. But normally there's even the tiniest bit of foreshadowing, and at the very least it's an episode or two focused directly on the duck-cum-swan at hand...but this came across as so tacked on it made me cringe.

Nothing you said makes sense. You not caring about Capone, (which clearly seems to be the case) doesn't mean the writing is bad. What foreshadowing do you want more than the fact that Capone shot Pekoms and that Pekoms said to him "You underestimate Mama."? That's plenty of foreshadowing right there.

The backstory served as characterization for Capone. It also shows how good of a strategist Jinbei is and what he can bring to Luuffy's crew.
Feb 18, 2018 10:46 PM

Jun 2014
It's another exposition episode so this episode definitely took a backseat. There's not much that could be done to fit the run time so the material was just stretched out. It's no fantastic episode 629, but it was fine.

The second half was stronger with the additions to Capone's backstory. It was stuff we could have inferred but it polishes what we know a little more. That tease of the upcoming confrontation looked fantastic. Yoichi Mitsu had excellent storyboards.

The OP was also updated to include Katakuri. I'm kind of worried about how they'll adapt that 15 page fight scene but if that Tomita cut is of any indication, it'll be amazing.
Feb 19, 2018 2:19 PM

Dec 2014
holy shit, that one shot of the Luffy mafia gang and the Bege gang

Feb 19, 2018 5:08 PM
Nov 2010
Albi-kun said:
YiS said:

zzz

Nothing you said makes sense. You not caring about Capone, (which clearly seems to be the case) doesn't mean the writing is bad. What foreshadowing do you want more than the fact that Capone shot Pekoms and that Pekoms said to him "You underestimate Mama."? That's plenty of foreshadowing right there.

The backstory served as characterization for Capone. It also shows how good of a strategist Jinbei is and what he can bring to Luuffy's crew.

That much I appreciate (jinbei), but Capone? Not so much?
I've written 2-3 posts in this forum ever, and at least 2 were about OP, so don't get me wrong as a OP hater or anything.

It's just in this case, the sudden expository dump on Capone felt distinctly jarring compared to usual OP plot flows, so I felt compelled to comment on it.
Normally an opponent is in frame when their backstory is played out, and then potentially turned to ally. It's actually so formulaic I've grown into forgiving OP for it specifically.

I tried to temper that with the last line, and I may still be all on board with it depending on how future episodes flow into the situation...

When all is said and done, I don't think One Piece is high art, the sanctity of which cannot be violated...

It's like socks.

There is no left and right. I don't care if it's a specifically matching pair, as long as they are of matching density, size, and length.
If not, it just feels weird.

Socks are comfy though.
Feb 19, 2018 9:35 PM
Feb 2018
Great episode, Luffy looks great in that red suit.
Feb 21, 2018 1:03 PM
Oct 2017
Sooo, when will this season end? I don’t think it has much left, usually ends around this time, anyone know how many episodes left exactly?
Feb 24, 2018 12:10 AM

Dec 2014
Nice …..bege back story.. that makeover in the end was awesome
Feb 24, 2018 3:34 AM

Oct 2010
YiS said:

zzz

Something I can tell you as a manga reader... Keep watching. I understand these issues but you are going to get a lot more of this current setting than you think. Capone is one of the most interesting aspects of the arc and it's here when it started to reveal its full potential.
Mar 7, 2018 6:31 AM

Jul 2013
That last scene oh the goosebumps. But Pekoms is right that mofo bege is underestimating Big Mom. This won't go smoothly.
Apr 5, 2018 10:46 AM

Apr 2013
Just some talking for 20 minutes, meh.
Apr 17, 2018 4:24 AM

May 2010
Okay, did not expect that kind of plottwist :o That was actually fun to watch. The last scene just before the preview looked sooo intense!
May 27, 2018 10:01 AM

Mar 2016
That ending shot... That was cool af!

7/10
Aug 8, 2018 12:50 PM

Dec 2016
Thank God Jimbei is back and is giving advice and wisdom as we expected him to do. Im so happy!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 8, 2018 2:33 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, the ending was so badass despite it only being still images.
Surprised they just went straight to the part where they made a deal.
Jan 11, 2020 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Bege has a backstory that would fit a typical serial killer. Then again, he is, in a way, a serial killer even though he operates as a gangster. His past painted him as a psychopath too. I didn't really pay him much thought until now. But after what I saw, my interest in him is piqued now.

He does seem to be way too confident about pulling the assassination on an emperor. It is as Pekoms said, he is probably underestimating Big Mom way too much. Maybe he has a bulletproof plan. I am looking forward to what his plan may be.
Apr 19, 2020 9:35 PM

Feb 2014
That was a good episode and that last scene with Luffy and everyone else sitting in the room facing Bege looked soooo cool!!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Jul 15, 2020 1:04 PM

Jun 2016
I thought that watching one more episode before I went to bed wouldn't be a big deal. However this one was pretty huge! To start with the easy stuff, Sanji warmed back up to the crew and the shame on his shoulders lightened! As the crew interacted through the incredibly charming usage of one single mirror shard, Sanji saw definitive proof that he still has a place with his friends. In fact everybody is ecstatic that they even have a chance to win him back. It reminded me of Water 7’s stare down, everybody at once willing to do whatever it takes for their nakama! With how he almost said he worried about everybody rather than just Nami before “correcting” himself, and later when he had the lovestruck mannerism in regards to Nami’s words, well, I'll just say Luffy was right. We felt at ease, the brother is back. :)

Now, Bege... It's about time we learn who he really is! According to Jimbei, he was from one of the five mafia families which ruled the West Blue. Starting out as a young man he was a psychopath who enjoyed hurting helpless creatures and watching them suffer. Following this, he was a hitman who massacred other crime families, and betrayed his former allies. Leaving these scenes without attempting to take their position or territory, he simply took their goods and left, he enjoyed the chaos that was left in his wake. He defended himself from those who wanted vengeance and built an impregnable castle, always having a great time. When bored of the land life, he moved to murder captains on the sea. With this rumor that Jimbei has suggested in mind, if true, it would mean that he lives true to his words that human empathy is ‘useless shit’. From the story I would wager he is a being that loves the thrill of violence and chaos, and the triumph that comes alongside it.

In line with the story, this chaotic evil incarnate used his position under Big Mom to get into her good graces and lure her into a state of vulnerability. If this man lives to kill, what's better than an Emperor? As the head of security for the Tea Party and wedding, he supposedly planned to murder Big Mom. We have schemes on schemes, murder plots on murder plots! Because he has all of the power and the motive, Jimbei wants to work with him, and that logical and disciplined mind of his is one of the things that I am most excited about having on the crew.

Outside of the incredibly cool final scene with the crew as gangsters, I had a few points I wanted to make. The first is my fears and doubts. If Jimbei knew about Bege’s background of bloodshed and chaos, specifically plotting to kill captains, I'm sure the Big Mom family who can apparently know anything would know this too. That is why I am confused on why she would appoint such a dangerous and chaotic person to such an important role. Something doesn't seem right; even if Mom doesn’t seem like the smartest person. Second, it only seems natural that Bege would betray Luffy. I asked what's better than killing an emperor earlier but the answer is obvious, killing an emperor and a supernova! It is for these reasons that I am somewhat hesitant but also incredibly excited. This should be freaking cool.

The last point I wanted to make was that Bege is characterized with strategy. The way he got Sanji was by ambushing him and taking people hostage, in the backstory that we heard about we saw him using disguises, we saw him setting up traps and ambushes. We saw him using defensive techniques like his massive castle. The man may be sick and sadistic, but he is certainly not an oaf, he appears to be more cunning than anything.
Aug 6, 2021 8:29 AM

May 2016
It was really heartwarming to see that everyone was actually excited to fight against the likes of Big Mom because it meant that Sanji would return if they do just that~

It looks like a collaboration between the Straw Hats and the Fire Tank Pirates are in order. Those last shots of the two groups negotiating with each other looked epic as hell! They all may be rivals but the Worst Generation gotta stick together when the going gets tough.

Aug 8, 2021 10:49 PM

Sep 2015
Wow the ending with Bege and Luffy sitting face to face was just epic as heck, luffy looked to cool and intimidating with his suit on xD

I felt like there was an aura of confidence and power surging around me after seeing that.

But if the meeting with Bege happened very close to the last hour before the wedding, how was Sanji able to go unnoticed by Big Mom's soldier? I wonder how Sanji is able to attend the wedding in a nick of time while having everything prepared beforehand.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1119 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Sep 14

55 by Ryanakoo »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1112 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FMmatron - Jul 13

128 by HisokaMorrow4 »»
4 hours ago

» Copper lokes like stuff toy

Hickykissy - 6 hours ago

4 by Dumb »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1118 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Sep 7

63 by Ahmad3990 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 300 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TechDragon - Nov 6, 2009

55 by Jimo_435 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.