Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 8, 2016 7:30 PM

Dec 2014
A lot of stuff to take in here, and it clears up quite a few things. At the very least though, it seems like Cocona's wondering just as much as to what the fuck's happening in her life as the audience. She wants out of this crazy life she didn't want to be a part of, and she only has Mimi to blame. (At least, that's what I'm guessing)

Mimi is Cocona's mother, and Papika's original partner (at least, the Papika (Papikana actually) from back then; predicting this current Papika is a clone). Salt acts the way he does because of Mimi's death. (Mimi was his wife) Mimi is now a shard inside of Cocona.

The Grandmother works with the klansmen.

The twins were artificially created solely for the purpose of going into Pure Illusion. (Not really "shocking" per say, but still worth noting)

From the first episode alone I didn't expect this series to take such a dark turn. But it did, and its working out thus far. But it just as easily could fuck up. I hope it doesn't, but who knows really?

On a side note:
15poundfish said:
Hopefully it ties up well, unlike the show it is inspired from.

Which series are you talking about exactly?
Dec 8, 2016 7:44 PM

Oct 2016
shit just got real here, I knew it Mimi is somewhat related to cocona ,, hype for the next ep
Dec 8, 2016 8:16 PM
Nov 2016
...Just when I thought this anime was fine enough:

-Grandma! That background character with little to no screen time. Just have her out of nowhere backstab the protagonist right near the end!
-Salt...ugh...a character with little to no screentime NOW having some significance. Just...what?
-All the answers to our questions being answered...about at the end, instead of cleverly being answered throughout the anime.
-Coconoa is angry that secrets were kept from here...yet she hardly ever questioned anything they were doing. What?
Dec 8, 2016 8:18 PM
Nov 2016
SeijiroUshio said:
Poor Cocona being betrayed by everyone, though her grandma was very suspicious since the start so it's not a shock to me. Now we've got to know the connection between Mimi and Cocona, well that's kinda expected too. A lot of info revealed, plot progresses, character development. I guess this is the turning point of the series. I'm excited to the last 3 episode don't let down my hopes. I'm guessing that Salt's father is the KKK leader, comparing through their eyes from the one before the OP and during the flashback.

animefan8800 said:
Why did Salt age but not Papika?

They we're genetically programmed probably cyborg or artificial human(?), or maybe the amorphous' effect.

What part of the grandma was suspicious or foreshadowed her betrayal?
Dec 8, 2016 8:27 PM

Jun 2015
Holy crap, so many reveals this episode... I feel awful for Cocona. She was deceived her whole life, and her grandma having deceived her this whole time is just terrible ;_;

So I guess... she's Salt and Mimi's daughter? I can't think who else would be the father. Unless it's something super "anime" like she was born out of Pure Illusion or somehow the product of Papika and Mimi's friendship or some randomness. She has an amorphous in her leg, so there's that. Maybe the amorphous is Mimi? I need moar!
Dec 8, 2016 9:30 PM

Dec 2009
This episode was so freaking good but also such a mindfuck. I guess Salt is Cocona's father since Mimi is her mother? So confusing...can't wait for next episode...fuck that cliff hanger.
Dec 8, 2016 9:35 PM

Jan 2014
That... was interesting.

Dec 8, 2016 10:12 PM

Mar 2014
I was just saying how "Grandma" was a little too patient with Cocona, and then wham, big twist.
Dec 8, 2016 10:24 PM

Oct 2012
What the flip flap just happened.
Papika(na) is probably a clone of the original or went through some cryogenic process, judging from next ep's preview where we can see a well endowed, seemingly older Papika too xD
I think most if not all of us suspected Cocona's grandma of knowing more than she let on. I for one was very suspicious of her and assumed the entire time that she would surface as an antagonist later on. What I didn't expect though, was that the grandma was a robot!? Like damn that was weird

Seems like Salt's been through quite a bit. I'm assuming he and Mimi got together, conceived Cocona and then something happened to Mimi (death or some other terrible fate) that turned him from timid guy to this stoic, cold and salty dude :/

Yayaka needs to survive to tell Cocona the truth, and then they need to become the bestest of best friends! I was a little frustrated this ep too with how many times something important was halted midway due to something. Papika hesitating to tell Cocona about Mimi, Cocona not listening when Papika tries, Cocona refusing to listen to Papika's reasons, Yayaka getting interrupted from seemingly telling Cocona her true feelings. Ahhhhhh just let them be happy pleaseeeeee

Also Mimi is Cocona's mom and has now been brought back and has taken over her body? Doesn't seem malevolent despite the possession as she definitely took on that Mother role, but I guess it's still bad isn't it :/
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
SeijiroUshio said:
Poor Cocona being betrayed by everyone, though her grandma was very suspicious since the start so it's not a shock to me. Now we've got to know the connection between Mimi and Cocona, well that's kinda expected too. A lot of info revealed, plot progresses, character development. I guess this is the turning point of the series. I'm excited to the last 3 episode don't let down my hopes. I'm guessing that Salt's father is the KKK leader, comparing through their eyes from the one before the OP and during the flashback.

They we're genetically programmed probably cyborg or artificial human(?), or maybe the amorphous' effect.

What part of the grandma was suspicious or foreshadowed her betrayal?
For me at least I found the grandma to be really suspicious since the beginning of ep 2. Right after the ending of ep 1 where Cocona gets kidnapped and then it ends in a cliffhanger, we suddenly get to ep 2 and Cocona wakes up in her own house with no indication of the past events happening. What I found odd was the fact that the grandma was watching her when she woke. Might be a bit lacking in substance but that was what gave me my primary feelings of suspicion which served to make me all the more suspicious of her as the eps went by
gust11Dec 8, 2016 10:34 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Dec 8, 2016 11:11 PM
Jun 2015
Burger-Meister said:

On a side note:
15poundfish said:
Hopefully it ties up well, unlike the show it is inspired from.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, it had a terrible ending and lots of episodic filler. The character's roles in the story are similar to some of the characters like Dr. Salt, Mimi, and Cocona.
Dec 8, 2016 11:33 PM
Jul 2013
I remember thinking it would be funny if Cocona's grandmother was actually a killer and able to walk.
Dec 9, 2016 2:26 AM

Jul 2007
15poundfish said:
Burger-Meister said:

On a side note:

Neon Genesis Evangelion, it had a terrible ending and lots of episodic filler. The character's roles in the story are similar to some of the characters like Dr. Salt, Mimi, and Cocona.

An opinion that could not be any more wrong.

First of all, this does not feel THAT inspired of EVA, beyond some nice homages. There are far more Ikuhara inspirations from stuff like Utena or Yuri Kuma Arashi, mixed in with some nice Studio Trigger nods.

Second of all, the only real problem with evangelion is the pacing in story structure between the things happening and the reveals that contextualize it. There have been no fillers in EVA at all.
Dec 9, 2016 2:32 AM

Mar 2014
The Grandma was a LIEEE! NOOOOOOOO!
Good episode, is it me or has Cocona complanied and doubted herself and her realtionship with Papika pretty much every episode of this anime?
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Dec 9, 2016 7:52 AM

Dec 2014
Djidji said:

They said the amorphus child can open it too. But maybe due to a connection with Mimi via the stones?

Ah I forgot about them mentioning that. I wouldn't be surprised if they experimented on Mimi and extracted the stones they used to make the amorphous children from her. They hinted at what happens to Mimi in an earlier episode so I wonder if she decided to seal herself away to avoid them using her anymore. We'll see!
Dec 9, 2016 10:19 AM

Jun 2015
My understanding of the story so far:

Since Mimi was the only one who could go to PI, they tried to use her for ulterior motives. But after finding her partner and experiencing the joys of freedom and outer world, she had developed a heart of her own and could think and act on what she thought was the right decision; unlike before when she only knew to act on whatever was ordered/allowed by those researchers. Just like Cocona, she was empty inside before meeting Papikana and Salt.

Mimi escaped with Papikana and her daughter Cocona, to PI or some other dimension in an attempt to get away from the evil organisation. Salt could not go with them because he lacked the ability to travel to PI.

Whatever happened in that other dimension/PI, Cocona and Papikana are back or brought back to this world with fragments in their bodies and having no memory of the past. Perhaps it was erased or a consequence of coming to this world? How Papika ended up with Salt or Cocona ended under the surveillance of Yayaka's org is yet a mystery; but as is cleared from this ep, Cocona was under surveillance from the beginning, as she was an important sample/child of the only ruler of PI (Mimi). Since she had no memories of her own, they told her about her parents fake death and that she is now living with her grandma.

Grandma in the house and Yayaka in the school were only there for monitoring Cocona. Perhaps in the hope that Mimi will make contact with her (only child) eventually; and when that happens, they will capture her again. or if Cocona has the same ability etc etc.

Cocona was kept in the dark by the people she trusted (Yayaka, grandma) and people she knew (Salt & co.). Papika, tho regained her memories only recently but she also kept quite about it. So it is only reasonable that Cocona feels alienated. well no matter, mother is here now so don't worry Cocona. :>

I do hope they don't mess up the story by twisting it too much. or it may become impossible to unfold it afterwards. I am positive that senpai will play a role in saving the day as well.
Dec 9, 2016 1:46 PM

Jun 2013
So Cocona's life has been a lie. She's been deceived by everyone, including her "granny." I knew something was up with that granny. Papika is Papikana and is probably not as old as she looks since Salt is all grown up and is cool and stuff now. Mimi is Cocona's mom and was Papikana's partner and best friend. Papikana was probably drawn to Cocona because of the resemblance she bears to Mimi, but Papika didn't know about that since she had lost her memories. And Papika is a normal girl. I had thought that she might have been some weird creation like Toto and Yuyu. But she's pretty normal in most ways at least (I don't consider her sniffing everything and everyone "normal" but anyway). Now who is Cocona's dad? Salt? It's possible I guess. And Mimi will save Cocona somehow. The amorphous in Cocona's thigh is probably Mimi's doing as a form of protection or something.

This episode wasn't visually arresting like the previous ones. Not much sakuga brilliance but I don't mind one bit given whatever we're told here and stuff. But Salt's transformation from a somewhat timid boy to this man is pretty cool lol.
Dec 9, 2016 3:53 PM

Nov 2016
Wow! There were so many revelations in this episode that was so interesting. I really feel bad for Cocona after knowing the fact it wasn't a coincidence that Yayaka had met her and became friends. She was only there to find the fragment hidden beneath Cocona's left leg and for Papika as she needed a partner similar to Mimi. I figured it was so sad that Cocona was deceived for so long. I wasn't surprised to find that Pure Illusion was used for controlling and bending the rules in that world.

Mimi and Papika looked like they could get along though it didn't start out that way until she tried to see that the outside world is just as beautiful as one can ever imagine. I was shocked to find out about Cocona's grandmother turned out to be a robot and tried to capture Cocona for the fragment. I didn't expect it but she did look suspicious though. And now I find out that Mimi is Cocona's mother which I do recall was in the OP of the series. It was shocking to see that now Cocona's personality has changed for the worse. I'm worried about Cocona as things are becoming heavy with the drama.

With three episodes left, this is becoming really good and some of the questions I had were somewhat answered but there's still more I want to know more about. I'm hoping whether they'll be able to save Cocona from herself if it's even possible at this point. Can't wait till next week!
Dec 9, 2016 9:37 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode. While a lot of the revelations were foreshadowed at this point, the reveal to Cocona was very well executed. I can't wait for the next episode.

Also, I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but I really like the soundtrack used for the first half of the episode. It was first introduced during Cocona and Yayaka's fight but damn, it is good. The OST has been great too.
Dec 10, 2016 4:38 AM

Aug 2013
holyshit that twist.. I didnt see that cumming..

I always thought this is just some kind of animu with some random shit happening, but finally something good is here now
Dec 10, 2016 7:58 AM

Dec 2012
So I guess all the fragments in pure illusion are part of Mimi's... soul? or something like that. She was clearly experimented on somehow. Now everyone wants to collect them because to control Mimi would be to control pure illusion, since it's basically her world(?)

Wonder how that happened, and why Papika hasn't aged. Time travel? I hope not. So far all my theories have been wrong lmao.

My only gripe is how the 'bad guys' let Cocona meet with Salt / Papika in the first place if they had her under their control from the start. Did they predict that the only way to find the fragments would be if she joined Papika and the others?

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Dec 10, 2016 8:07 AM

May 2015
That was quite the episode, woah. I felt really sorry for Cocona. Even grandma turned out to be an enemy.

Dec 10, 2016 8:12 AM

May 2015
Lots of revelations this episode. We finally found out who Mimi is. She's Cocona's mom and was the one who first showed Papika Pure Illusion. I'm so glad we saw Salt when he was younger, as it definitely added more depth to his character. I'm pretty confused as to why Papika didn't age, but I'm sure that'll be explained in the upcoming episodes. Like most of you, I also feel really bad for Cocona. Her whole life was basically a lie! This right here is you make me feel sympathy for a character. This is AOTS.

Also, @15poundfish, I've thought and thought about which characters in Flip Flappers play similar roles to those in Evangelion, but I just can't make the connection! Do you think you could enlighten me?
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Dec 10, 2016 2:21 PM

Jul 2015
LITERALY EVERYBODY SHE KNOWS EITHER KEPT THINGS FROM HER OR LIED. Anyway, so her mom was Mimi? Or something like that...

A lot happened. I look forward to the next episode.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 10, 2016 2:42 PM

May 2012
Fai said:
mixed in with some nice Studio Trigger nods

Like the scissors Cocona wields in the battle inside the crystal structure against Yayaka. I totally missed that the first time around, but broke out laughing when I rewatched episode nine again last night. Overall that's one of the most poignant scenes in the entire series, so I felt a bit embarrassed laughing.

I never thought that this series has much in common with Evangelion either. Perhaps a few character parallels, but that's about it. Since I see NGE as pretentious and over-hyped maybe I'm missing something deeper.
SeijiSenseiDec 10, 2016 2:48 PM
Dec 10, 2016 5:49 PM

May 2009
Crimson said:
So Mimi is Cocona's mother? But wait, how was Papika her partner? Does she not age or something?
Papika looks exactly the same now as she was with Mimi, who is supposed to be Cocona's mother. wtf?
And Cocona's grandmother was a robot all along? Mind = Blown
Can't blame Cocona for having that dead look at the end; this episode was literally a mind-fuck.
Next episode can't come sooner!

@Djidji I think Yayaka has redeemed herself for me with this episode, she was basically another victim.
Though she will need to do a lot more than that to make me like her as much as I do Cocona and Papika .

Maybe you don't age when you are in Pure Illusion. It may also be linked to an incident where she lost her memories.
The current cult seems to be the old organisation where Salt, Papika(na) and Mimi were, so they might have monitored Cocona, the daughter of Mimi (to be confirmed) who must be a new key to Pure Illusion. It also finaly makes sense to explain that the grandmother is a robot with the end of the first episode. (Remember, Cocona got caught by the robot after leaving Pure Illusion)

Glad you "forgave" Yayaka now. ^^
Will they be a trio at the end?
Dec 10, 2016 5:56 PM
Nov 2012
Grandma being bad was obvious from the start

Salt might be her dad?x)
Dec 10, 2016 6:02 PM

Jul 2016
@Djidji Could be.
Honestly, there are so many questions that need answering. Though I like when an anime does that; it adds excitement and eagerness for answers.
This feeling can only get ruined when the anime doesn't deliver with answers, so let's hope that doesn't happen.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Dec 10, 2016 6:04 PM
Jun 2015
Eve778 said:

Also, @15poundfish, I've thought and thought about which characters in Flip Flappers play similar roles to those in Evangelion, but I just can't make the connection! Do you think you could enlighten me?

There are parallels in some of the characters but the story, themes and characterization are completely different. Dr. Salt story appears similar to Gendou and Cocona being used and having an identity crisis is similar to shinji's role in Evangelion. There are probably more, but its not a copy of evangelion and glad they keep the stupid psycho babble in the background.
Dec 10, 2016 11:34 PM

Jun 2015
Aw man, its another "Cocona gets mad at Papika and wont listen so she runs off" moment. And Yayaka, I feel she originally made friends with Cocona but eventually she liked being her friend. I think shes redeemable.

And for some reason seeing the grandma stand after being used to seeing her sitting shocked me but also made me laugh. I mean XD

Lastly, if assuming Papika and Mimi were the same age when they met...shouldnt she be older than Cocona?? I mean Salt is older so ...maybe she doesn't age?
Dec 11, 2016 6:06 AM

Oct 2011
So Mimi, the girl who can enter Pure Illusion is Cocona's mother... That's why Cocona can enter Pure Illusion too... And as we see, the living fragment/her mother on her leg can absorb amorphous... That's kinda explain why Cocona and Papika always appears near of an amorphous when they go to Pure Illusion. lol
Dec 11, 2016 8:13 PM

Feb 2012
Cold father with glasses trying to bring back his dead wife? Yep.
Redhead partner that doesn't age? Yep.
Underground base of operations? Yep.
Dead mother whose soul is bound to an object? Yep.
Get in the fucking pure illusion, Cocona.

I think Papika traveled to the future, like the next episode preview hints. And the "real" world is also just a pure illusion.
kickmesignDec 11, 2016 10:49 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2016 8:38 PM
Jun 2016
Mind blown
This episode really make me speechles
Poor cocona tho :(
Dec 12, 2016 2:57 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
@AnimeFanboy1234

The grandma seemed to be to passive the whole time. There were no real interactions between her and Cocona besides the little basic.

I thought that she would work with Dr. Salt and his team, but her betrayal against Cocona was not really surprising either. The robo part about her was a little bit surprising.

The more interesting thing is that Yayaka did deceive Cocona already from their first meeting (even though it was not that surprising either given the circumstances) and that Mimi can take over the body of her daughter.

Salt and Mimi are most likely the parents from Cocona.
Dec 12, 2016 7:36 PM

Jul 2015
Kittenpotpie said:

shit was alrdy real but this is like next level
and still 3 eps left?!

>it was in the OP

AOTY

AOTY indeed, anyone who disagree can fight me
Dec 12, 2016 8:22 PM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
Grani-smith said:

That one is a hard call because of the great and awesome anime series this year. Especially Ereased, RE:Zero, 91 Days,...

But I would agree that Flip Flappers has made it by far into the best series of this season. Thats at least my opinion.
Dec 13, 2016 6:52 AM

Mar 2009
Grani-smith said:
Kittenpotpie said:

shit was alrdy real but this is like next level
and still 3 eps left?!

>it was in the OP

AOTY

I honestly wouldn't argue with that. There's been quite a few good shows this year, but Flip Flappers really stands out for being unique. Even better - remember when people used to think Flip Flappers was "lolrandom"? It also has a very strong and cohesive story.

Anyway, incredible episode.
Dec 13, 2016 7:39 PM

Apr 2014
Love this series and this ep though wow this is one hell of a twist with everything except the grandma as she just seemed off from the start of thing so her turning out to be a robot and turning on her wasnt really surprised

but everything else is wow

really cant wait for next ep so even more can be revealed and what reall happened with Mimi and Papika and Salt and whats really going on with Cocona and how things came to be
"one step at a time"
Dec 14, 2016 10:41 PM

Dec 2009
Things are really trucking along now. Many cool developments plot-wise now, none of it too hard to follow, but i wonder how it will all relate to the yuri subtext... Cocona better figure out that original motives don't mean shit if friendship grew from it.

Kittenpotpie said:

>it was in the OP
I'd been wondering when they were gonna explain that one.

Mormegil said:
I honestly wouldn't argue with that. There's been quite a few good shows this year, but Flip Flappers really stands out for being unique. Even better - remember when people used to think Flip Flappers was "lolrandom"? It also has a very strong and cohesive story.
It was always directed and focused from the beginning, and pretty blatantly so, just with random adventuring as a vessel. This kind of pseudo-meta plot work is not unusual for anime at all, and nor is the subtexts or other elements like so. If anything is notably unique about this particular show, is it's presentation more than anything.

Cyanwasserstoff said:
Especially Ereased, RE:Zero,
Both of those series were pictures of outstanding mediocrity masqued in a guise of quasi-intellectualism. Meanwhile people not paying much attention to series like Grimgar, orange, Matoi, Vivid Strike. (anime like Euphonium, Izetta, Occultic;9, Kimi no Na wa, are getting appropriate attention however) Flip Flappers easily out-does re:zero, just not in popularity.
GenesisAriaDec 14, 2016 10:58 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 15, 2016 9:11 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
GenesisAria said:

Cyanwasserstoff said:
Especially Ereased, RE:Zero,
Both of those series were pictures of outstanding mediocrity masqued in a guise of quasi-intellectualism.

I could not disagree more. But I will not take my turn to discuss something based on opinions.
GenesisAria said:

Meanwhile people not paying much attention to series like Grimgar, orange, Matoi, Vivid Strike. (anime like Euphonium, Izetta, Occultic;9, Kimi no Na wa, are getting appropriate attention however) Flip Flappers easily out-does re:zero, just not in popularity.

Grimgar was unique in the way of an weak protagonist in an adventure (pseudo-game) world. Also that the group does not stand out in any way in their own world.

Vivid Strike is great ( I am a huge fan about the Lyrical Nanoha Universe and it's Spinoffs), but I miss Nanoha and Fate (their adult version).
Dec 15, 2016 7:58 PM

Mar 2009
GenesisAria said:

Mormegil said:
It was always directed and focused from the beginning, and pretty blatantly so, just with random adventuring as a vessel. This kind of pseudo-meta plot work is not unusual for anime at all, and nor is the subtexts or other elements like so. If anything is notably unique about this particular show, is it's presentation more than anything.

There were always so many comments about how the show was so confusing, made no sense, etc. when it first started airing. I always say comments like that on Crunchyroll. It simply needed to be fleshed out more, but people want everything spelled out for them right at the beginning. And personally, yeah. I thought it was always focused.

What I found so unique about it is that it seems to be a blend of Ghibli meets old Gainax meets Masaaki Yuasa. That's what instantly drew me to it. I was blown away by the first episode because of that. And as Fai always mentions around these parts, a lot of Utena and Ikuhara vibes too.

Nice to see another person who liked Grimgar, btw.
Dec 15, 2016 8:52 PM

Dec 2009
@Mormegil
People are stupid. The moment they say it sucks or something because they can't figure out what's going on, it's best to just invalidate and ignore them.

This show started off with a really western Alice in Wonderland flare, and nailed it good; however it suddenly took a turn for the crazy and became less poetic. Like i mean, there was the initial diving into imagination land and the hideout in the pipe and stuff... Then there was the stuff with the rabbit-afying and sexual subtext, then episode 3 got really strange with that sado-lesbo. From then on it sorta derailed from the Yuri subtext and Alice in Wonderland thematic (except for the ED). I haven't seen Utena.

I'm not a disney type by any stretch, but i do like the japanese perspective on fairytales, especially because their emotional/philosophical views allow them to take it to a much deeper and emotional level than they are in the west. I was hoping for that fairytale vibe for a change of pace, but it didn't stick.

Now we're deep into doomy cult organization vs splinter faction rebels in competition to control Pure Illusion. It's cool but not what i was hoping for is all.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 16, 2016 10:48 AM

Aug 2012
-Nyu girl (heh) seems a lot more chipper than the other amorphous children
-It took them a really long time to reveal the girl on the boat
-Is this kinda like The Giver where the number of syllables in a person's name is an indicator of their status
-That invasion came out faster than I expected
-The deadpan in Yuyu and Toto's voices when they were breaking the news to Cocona made that scene a hell of a lot better
-Perhaps the most surprising thing about this episode was the reveal that Papikana was a human
-And on top of that, someone who was bred in captivity or something
-Wait just a fucking minute, Papika hasn't aged at all since the flashback
-Injured Yayaka's surviving a lot longer than I would've thought
-I had a feeling that Cocona's grandma would die as a result of Cocona's adventures in Pure Illusion, but I didn't imagine it would be like that
-I just realized that in the ED, the top half depicts Papika's adventures with Mimi, and the bottom half depicts her adventures with Cocona.
-And at the end they formally reveal the fact that Mimi is Cocona's mom, which was kind of hinted to beforehand with the resemblance to one another, but who's the dad

I thought Yayaka's background story was pretty uninteresting from the way it was presented in episode 9, but this episode turned that around with the big reveals. The background around Mimi was slightly interesting before, but now that they've revealed that Papika hasn't aged at all since the Mimi flashback, it kinda became even more interesting. Not to mention the fact that the grandma was the (almost) final boss and got obliterated after revealing herself. After thinking about it, that one scene at the end of the first (?) episode where robots kidnap Cocona makes a lot more sense, now that Grandma's been revealed to have been a double agent. The reason Cocona woke up the next morning like nothing happened is because they brought her back home. This should probably have been the first hint that something's not right with grandma.

The episode as a whole was pretty great since it actually answers a lot of lingering questions about the plot that have been alluded to in the past few episodes. Also, for the first time in a long while within the show, every scene felt important.
Dec 16, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2008
So... Mimi is actually Cocona/s Mom!
This episode goes way back when Salt is a youngster when Papika told the truth of Mimi to Cocona. Then Papikana is Papikas mom also? or if not Papika doesn't age!?!?
That must be very hard to Cocona, that even her grandma lied to her also, even Yayaka, but it seems like Yayaka is turning to the good side because she stopped the twins from capturing Cocona.
Also that glowing thing inside Cocona's left thighs is also a fragment and it was revealed by the twins that she herself is an Amorphous!
Looks like Mimi has awakened inside the body of Cocona.
This is getting interesting. Studio 3Hz is a new studio but they are already a very good studio!
5/5.

Dec 17, 2016 3:44 AM

Jul 2009
Mimi is Cocona's mom? Or she is Cocona herself but she doesn't remember? Salt got really old, so I guess Cocona and Papika doesn't age...
Dec 18, 2016 8:02 PM

Aug 2016
SOMEONE GIVE THIS GIRL A BREAK. She has a fragment INSIDE OF HER, she finds out her best friend only became her friend to do who knows what, her grandma lied to her and tried to capture her for who knows what, and she, i don't know, absorbed? the fragments, and I'm going to assume her conscious was taken over. Just, wow.
Dec 22, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2014
The plot in this is so bad and so fucking dumb, they should have stayed away from the 2deep4you route. Don't even get me started on the final scene, when I thought it couldn't get any dumber.
alpha_shadowDec 22, 2016 10:33 AM
:3
Dec 22, 2016 10:51 AM

Dec 2012
So many information about the story. Once again it was a great episode, I love this show but it's too bad that Cocona didn't listen Paprika :/. Her mother can possess her, I wonder what will happen next
Dec 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Sep 2014
Finallllllly! We get some revelations!! I've been waiting forever for this episode. Part of the reason I stopped keeping up with it weekly was because of how many sub plots were happening and nothing was getting answered! Best episode so far.
Dec 24, 2016 11:25 AM

Dec 2015
I know this was probably never meant to turn out in this typical way but I'm glad it did.

5/5

SeijiroUshio said:
]mrw they said that Flip Flappers has no storylin

It could be seen as a suddenly injected storyline due to the change in "headwriter". The first responsible person stated that there were already changes in the way the episode after her leave was handled compared to what was imagined under her.
Dec 24, 2016 8:06 PM

Feb 2013
So... Papika is in her 40s?

Mimi is Cocona's mom!
Mind = blown
I love this anime.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

191 by Touka »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2016

213 by Puncheon »»
Sep 11, 2:44 AM

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Bastodon »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.