Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 10, 2016 1:55 AM
May 2008
Revvie-chan said:
Felby said:

Apr 10, 2016 2:16 AM
Oct 2012
wow, great movie.
the thrill was real
Apr 10, 2016 2:25 AM

Oct 2014
This looks like it will be fun. Seeing girls who resemble Non Non Biyori characters fighting in battleships was entertaining. I hope this will be as good as Girls und Panzer.
Apr 10, 2016 3:31 AM

Aug 2010
The whole "mutiny" thing was a very smart move from the creators, the show was criminally underwhelming with a terrible cast and script prior to that. Will keep watching, but I don't expect much.
Mogami-kunApr 10, 2016 4:50 AM
Apr 10, 2016 3:32 AM
Apr 2016
I really enjoyed the first episode of this new anime for this new Spring season ^^

I've been looking forward to the arrival and start of it so much ^^

I just knew I was gonna really end up enjoying it ^^
Apr 10, 2016 3:38 AM
Jan 2013
i am very pleasently surprised.. hope it wont get too dark, no deaths plz.

dont understand the whole "bullshit. dropped." people in here.. also why they take the effort to be so vocal about it.. but well... *shrug*
Apr 10, 2016 4:02 AM
Mar 2014
I really enjoyed this! Wasn't sure what to expect, but thought it would've been more SOL.

Instead we get GuP with ships, sign me up!

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going with that sudden turn of events right in the first episode.
Apr 10, 2016 4:21 AM

Jul 2014
That was dumb as shit and another universe where mysteriously, men do not exist.

The only show that can get away with that is Yuri Yuri
Apr 10, 2016 4:39 AM

Apr 2011
I never expect that so serious at the end. That instructor just framed them for mutiny. Expect every ship will fight them and possibly fight her childhood friend. I'm in
thinking if I'll continue this or not. I don't want to see them cute girls die.

The question is, why frame them? I think this will be answered as the story progresses.
MagitoApr 10, 2016 5:52 AM
Apr 10, 2016 5:03 AM
Jan 2015
Did you people watch the same first episode I did?
This first episode is total trash. It's the perfect example of how to create a first episode that tells you almost nothing about the show, and how not to structure the first episode of a TV show in general.

First of all, this show doesn't look particularly good. A lot of the cinematography is ass and the CG is particularly bad. None of the characters are very nicely animated, and the colour palette used left something to be desired. It really is just your everyday, boring, bland anime, visually; there's absolutely nothing to it.

Second, the episode structure really struggles. I don't think most people would argue with me when I say that the first 15 minutes of the show are really boring, and a lot of that comes down the the structure. The long and short of it is the show takes 15 minutes and give maybe 3 minutes worth of actual information. I speculate that this problem was caused by the fact that they wanted to end the episode where they did, but didn't actually have enough content to fill out a whole episode, so they stretched two scenes way too long, and padded the rest of it with pandering images of girls, and pandering dialog about boats.

Speaking of padding, I am genuinely impressed with how little information they managed to give about the first 15 minutes despite how much talking there was. all of the characters we meet are almost completely devoid of any personality, and only seem to be there to advance the plot. Furthermore, the whole episode, we only ever got incredibly barebones info about the world they live in, who these characters are, what motivations the characters have, and the themes of the show as a whole. for how much they bring up the blue mermaids, I really can't tell you much about them other than the (implied) fact that they use battleships and that the main characters look up to them for whatever reason. This show also suffers from some incredibly cringeworthy dialog, and all attempts at humor in this opening fall so incredibly flat I'm skeptical that they were supposed to be funny in the first place.

I probably wouldn't have even finished this episode all the way though if i hadn't already heard that the first episode has a twist, which saves the episode from being a total disaster, but doesn't do much to bring it back up to quality to an acceptable point. Admittedly, this action scene isn't terrible (though it does suffer from a particularly bad sense of space and a really out of place bikini shot,) but it's effect would have been better if we were remotely invested in the characters established, and it also really doesn't fix any of the problems with the rest of episode.

All and all, basically the only thing this show has going for it ATM is that it's "twist" has the potential to produce an interesting story, but given what I've seen so far, my hopes aren't very high.

3/10. I'm dropping it. Someone close to me would have to tell me after the show has ended that it's a 10/10 show for me to give it another shot.
Apr 10, 2016 5:07 AM

Sep 2015
Way better than I expected. I thought it was gonna be generic cuteness but battleships and mutiny in the first episode? Nice. Love the character design and MC.
Apr 10, 2016 5:13 AM
Sep 2013
Why is there so much hate? It started off as a generic SoL anime with cute girls doing cute sailor school things. And now we have the potential for something interesting as a plot. Yes the start is generic/boring, its possible that it could continue like that for the anime or that it was meant to be positioned to us like that.
We got a bait and switch on the first episode, that means we can get into the meat of the story from now. Why is the world as it is, Who are Blue Mermaids and what do they defend the seas against, how do they survive, where do they get supplies, how do they get their innocence proven, who is their ally and who isnt? And most importantly if they will ever get the Rice Cooker fixed.
Its too early to call it AoTS but it's got a hook, it has potential. We can at least agree on that can't we?
Apr 10, 2016 5:18 AM

Jan 2015
Avalon1440 said:
Why is there so much hate? It started off as a generic SoL anime with cute girls doing cute sailor school things. And now we have the potential for something interesting as a plot. Yes the start is generic/boring, its possible that it could continue like that for the anime or that it was meant to be positioned to us like that.
We got a bait and switch on the first episode, that means we can get into the meat of the story from now. Why is the world as it is, Who are Blue Mermaids and what do they defend the seas against, how do they survive, where do they get supplies, how do they get their innocence proven, who is their ally and who isnt? And most importantly if they will ever get the Rice Cooker fixed.
Its too early to call it AoTS but it's got a hook, it has potential. We can at least agree on that can't we?

Dunno. It's just MAL tho, so it explains the hate pretty much.
Apr 10, 2016 6:39 AM

Nov 2009
CanErick said:
Did you people watch the same first episode I did?
This first episode is total trash. It's the perfect example of how to create a first episode that tells you almost nothing about the show, and how not to structure the first episode of a TV show in general.

I don't understand why you want the first ep.to tell you a lot of thing about the show. Can't the show continually/slowly reveal the information as the show goes on?

Not all show prefer to make itself "popolular" since the first ep. Some shows prefer to slowly build up its story/plot over many eps. and become interesting somehow. For example: Madoka, Steins;gate, and girls und panzer. (This show has the same series composition and script writer as girls und panzer, by the way). That's why 3 eps rule is important.

The first ep. did introduce as about the overall world setting and what should you expect from the story. Those should be enough for the first ep. to gain the attention (and it did get some attention) and make people want to follow it (also succeeded in this). (This part of my comment based on people reaction on MAL, Reddit, animesuki and /a/). Now it depends on the show itself to keep us interested in the following eps.

About the art and animation, unfortunately, not every studio have large budget level like Kyoani or P.A. work or WIT studio so we have to bare with it.

Anyway, this kind of show is not for everyone. you either love it or hate it. Something like this also happened to Girls und Panzer. So I understand your comment toward the show and won't persuade you keep watching.
Apr 10, 2016 6:40 AM

Mar 2011
I didn't have any expectations for this series but it seems alright. Interesting development in the end.
Apr 10, 2016 6:44 AM

Apr 2009
The Harekaze must allied with the U.S Navy or any European Navy down there so they could arrest the instructor and if they do it the USN's Arleigh Burke-class destroyers will coming in
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Apr 10, 2016 6:45 AM

Dec 2015
Wai...wh-what! Poor girls! What did they do to deserve that? They're just girls...

Wouldn't an answer to the call at the end of the chapter have resolved it all or was it a telegram lol.

Felt really bad for the girls.
Apr 10, 2016 7:05 AM

Jun 2014
I'm calling this panzer on sea...
like what I see so far but how will the show differentiate itself?

and what the heck does a vice-captain do exactly??
Apr 10, 2016 7:35 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
A lot of the comments say something along the lines of "the first half was shit so I'm dropping". Considering the twist that comes in the B part, making this a clear bait and switch, I want to think (hope) that the cheesy music that reminds me of hentai of 10 years ago, simplistic animation, and 1-dimensionality of the characters is the show's way of making fun of moeblob SOLs in general and itself specifically. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit, but that's the assumption I'm going to go into ep 2 with. Though I admit that I was also confused by the apparent time warp where 4 hours magically disappeared. And I still want to know why the principal's daughter(?) was assigned to the "mutiny" ship.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Apr 10, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2009
Aniplex shamelesly copying Boatsluts, GuPshit with more yuribait and "serious" plot. First half was just insufferable to watch. Overall I expect awful shit only for otakus.
Apr 10, 2016 8:13 AM
Feb 2016
reminds me of Gakkou Gurashi...
Apr 10, 2016 8:35 AM

Apr 2014
I don't want this to get to serious, as other shows like girls und panzer works best because of its balance of moe slice of life with with competitive tank battles. If this gets to serious the whole show just becomes jarring. But knowing the writer Reiko Yoshida I doubt this will get too dark
Apr 10, 2016 8:40 AM
May 2009
OrangeJP said:
battleship battles

kyon-pei said:
battleship fights

They're warships. FFS "battleship" is a specific type of ship. The ship our protagonist is captaining is a Kagerou-class destroyer. The instructor's ship seems to be an Independence-class LCS.

Revvie-chan said:

The Musashi is a super-dreadnought-class battleship

No, it's a battleship.
Apr 10, 2016 8:47 AM
Oct 2015
Is anyone going to point out some misinformation by the instructor?

She reported Taiha! (Heavy damage)
At worst, a malfunction of sorts from hull deformation, but judging from the overhead shot, it seems that the oil tanks are leaking, and some flooding.

At best, it's Chuuha (Moderate damage).

I guess the plot thickens. But the oversights are quite severe, hope they come up with a good reason for this friendly fire.
Apr 10, 2016 9:04 AM

Nov 2011
Oh? Wow that stuff! By reading the synopsis, I would never have expected something like that, I'm amazed more than angry, maybe the fact that there are little girls, does not give him a serious connotation, but the fact of having so many different characters , intrigued me a lot, the other thing that I like about this anime series, is the situational context in which they move the girls, interesting. I look forward to the next episode.
Apr 10, 2016 9:22 AM

Mar 2008
RyanWisemanMusic said:
Aeonenleben said:

I checked out your animelist and our defintions of "good" seem to differ by quite a bit.

I guess they do, lol. Oh well, just a difference among anime fans. :D

You just have to ignore people like that. One look at their profile clearly shows they only like "edgy" "mature" anime and they believe their "taste" is far superior that to plebs like us. Basically anything that wasn't made in the 90s is garbage to people like that. They don't give anything current more than 10 minutes of their time and go into most shows like this one prejudiced as hell.

That all being said, I'm really curious what just happened. If the ship is declared mutinied are they just going to get reprimanded or are other ships going to try and take them out?
Apr 10, 2016 9:58 AM

Aug 2008
You're telling me someone let little girls on combat vessels? There's a significant difference between maritime jobs for little girls and service in a Navy for fucks sake. What the hell anime industry? Either do a proper navy series or moeblobs collecting seaweed, don't try to mix it. It was so stupid it was actually painful to watch.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 10, 2016 10:16 AM

Aug 2014
I liked Girls und Panzer as well as Kantai Collection, so this show/episode catched me in the 2nd half completely!

First I was just expecting some Moe and Slice of Life stuff as the little preview implied, but it seems to go into a different direction.

I don't care if they're cute little school girls doing in real world usual manly stuff. I am entertained and that's why I watch anime: for entertainment, not for education or documentation.
I can't understand the criticism and hate: it was clear anyway that this show will be something about cute girls doing things (was not specified), so why are people going nuts because these cute girls do now fight on WW2 warships?
Apr 10, 2016 10:19 AM

Sep 2015
Like a handful of other people I was expecting a cute moe slice of life but that little twist near the end really gave me the chills. Looking forward for more, all the girls are so kawaii. Lolis for life!
Apr 10, 2016 10:39 AM

Jun 2015
Lol, Munetani sure had it rough before the opening ceremony, had me laughing. what's with that hug? Any romance going on?
They got framed into attacking. This looks interesting. There could actually be a (serious) plot.

Liking it so far. A great great episode. :)

HijaziApr 10, 2016 9:07 PM
Apr 10, 2016 10:46 AM
Dec 2015
It was a nice start. I wasn't expecting things to turn serious though... There was a nice relaxing vibe going at the start and I was really digging this as a SoL/more chill series, so my feelings are mixed about the sudden genre change. However, it was done quite cleverly and I've gotta praise them for that.

7/10 at the moment, but the first half was more of a 8/10 for me. (I know most people probably think the opposite lol. Like I said, mixed feelings about that change. It was interesting, but I have a few issues with it. Then again, that's just me!)
Apr 10, 2016 10:47 AM

Jul 2015
This was way better than I thought it was going to be. 4/5 I enjoyed this, and I want more now.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 10, 2016 10:49 AM

Jan 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
That was dumb as shit and another universe where mysteriously, men do not exist.

there actually was one reporting harekaze will be late next to the instructor up to that point again i thought the same.
Apr 10, 2016 10:51 AM
Jan 2011
Takaaki Suzuki must be having fun with his series lol

At least the plot is trying to be interesting, I'd rather have something that tries to be different and fails miserably than a "safe" moé-blob SoL we've all seen before.
Apr 10, 2016 11:17 AM

Aug 2013
Red_Tuesday said:

The only show that can get away with that is Yuri Yuri

Well, Love Live also have the same problem (apart from Honoka's & Maki's dad & Nico's lil' bro)

This is GuP x WoWS x Black Flag with betrayal..
Apr 10, 2016 12:47 PM

Feb 2015
First thing to say! i hope she (the instructor if i'm not wrong) was not action in the end. i seriously was expecting a fight and finally they gave me a fight even tho only a little but i like it a lot. After i saw the ship and knew the fact that they will board it, My god i was expecting something like Girl und Panzer, but the fight in this episode was okay to me. still expecting a great fight between ship.

really like the character too. cute is all i can say. the animation was very good imo.
soundtrack was....pretty good too.

i just felt the story just went a little bit dark in the end. i hope she was not acting.
so overall, good episode imo. still expecting something like Girl und Panzer battle in the next episode. looking foward to it.
Man, this is gonna be fun!!!!! i hope so :/
Apr 10, 2016 1:15 PM

Dec 2012
It reminds me Kantai Collection, the girls are cute and it was a good cliffhanger, so let's see what is going to happen
Apr 10, 2016 1:57 PM

Sep 2015
This was my most hyped anime for the Spring 2016 season - I religiously looked up information and talked about it on other websites that I used to try and bring attention to it, I keep track of the days, hours, minutes, and seconds until it aired, and I began to prepare a small party for myself for when it premiered (aka I just tried to find some cool snacks or shit to eat while I watched it but w/e)

I'm very, VERY happy to say that my expectations were exceeded.

I was expecting a cute little SoL anime with schoolgirls on a boat, and it met all of those expectations until the very end when it threw a GIANT curveball. I'm someone who appreciates simplicity at my core, and mega complexity that goes heavy on the tension has no appeal to me - yet, this episode managed to have a lighthearted and fun first half before absolutely kicking shit into gear during the second half.

I loved it. I can't wait for next week's episode!

Apr 10, 2016 2:34 PM

Jun 2013
that's a cute cat and they alredy let little girls drive tanks around so why not let them drive warships too seems legit but cool twist at the end
Apr 10, 2016 2:46 PM

Mar 2009
Things got real near the end. O__O

Mixed reactions to HaiFuri in this thread. I liked it, personally. This is so much better than KanColle. With the exception of Anne-Happy(which had a pleasant and funny first episode), the "cute girls doing cute things" shows this season have a gimmick(not sure if right word). Bakuon has motorbikes, and HaiFuri has ships. The ending piqued my interest, so we'll see where this one goes.
Apr 10, 2016 3:53 PM
Jul 2009
spyman5959 said:
Is anyone going to point out some misinformation by the instructor?

She's obviously lying. It was all a set-up. She was baiting the girls into fight back so she could accuse them of mutiny. Why she did so is the question the plot has to answer going forward. My guess is that she wants to use the Harekaze as a distraction. To keep the Blue Mermaids busy hunting them down for some reason.
1idd0kunApr 10, 2016 4:03 PM
Apr 10, 2016 4:02 PM

Jan 2010
I'm surprised the average score is below 7 right now. This is pretty much just like Girls Und Panzer already, and that's a good show too. Guessing it will rise as more episodes come out and the people who are immediately turned off by it don't count for its score anymore.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Apr 10, 2016 4:42 PM
Mar 2016
razisgosu said:
RyanWisemanMusic said:

I guess they do, lol. Oh well, just a difference among anime fans. :D

You just have to ignore people like that. One look at their profile clearly shows they only like "edgy" "mature" anime and they believe their "taste" is far superior that to plebs like us. Basically anything that wasn't made in the 90s is garbage to people like that. They don't give anything current more than 10 minutes of their time and go into most shows like this one prejudiced as hell.

That all being said, I'm really curious what just happened. If the ship is declared mutinied are they just going to get reprimanded or are other ships going to try and take them out?

I hope that ships are sent to try and take them out. Just imagine the cool battle sequences!
Apr 10, 2016 4:52 PM

Jul 2014
This is pretty damn interesting! I wonder what that teacher was doing.
Apr 10, 2016 6:52 PM

Jan 2011
So either this is actually trying to serious, or it's going its furthest to make us think it'll be serious.
Apr 10, 2016 7:42 PM

Sep 2015
Lisbon said:
This was my most hyped anime for the Spring 2016 season - I religiously looked up information and talked about it on other websites that I used to try and bring attention to it, I keep track of the days, hours, minutes, and seconds until it aired, and I began to prepare a small party for myself for when it premiered (aka I just tried to find some cool snacks or shit to eat while I watched it but w/e)

I'm very, VERY happy to say that my expectations were exceeded.

I was expecting a cute little SoL anime with schoolgirls on a boat, and it met all of those expectations until the very end when it threw a GIANT curveball. I'm someone who appreciates simplicity at my core, and mega complexity that goes heavy on the tension has no appeal to me - yet, this episode managed to have a lighthearted and fun first half before absolutely kicking shit into gear during the second half.

I loved it. I can't wait for next week's episode!

That's how I was like for Joker game. I didn't know about this series until I looked at what's new.
Personally I don't understand the hate it's getting. There are some that hate the moe genre... Then why watch it?
Then there are others complaining the change... Why? Isn't it better for it to differentiate itself from Girls und Panzer?
Better than it being a copy-pasta of GuP.

And IMO, this is billion times better than kancolle. I watched kancolle because it's navy, but they aren't real ships nor did they have any realistic battles. This on the other hand fill my criteria of a naval series. I don't care if these are moe girls, I'm thinking more of the ships.
Of course if the series make the plot interesting, it will get a high score from me. And it also satisfied that demand.
I normally don't worry as much about characters, though it would be great if they get development.

Though the ship CGI wasn't the best, crazy amount of detail was put in. They had even the rifling put in.

And it seems quite obvious it was a set-up by the instructor.
For anyone complaining how she got ahead, if you looked at when MC was talking with her childhood friend, you should see the LCS leave much earlier than the fleet.
The instructor probably sabotaged the ship so it'll be late. Then met up mid-way and attacked(speed is not important, that can be changed)
Also, the LCS was hiding from the main fleet anyways... Or it could of just went off alone. Not like the fleet were ordered to follow the instructor.
As for the LCS's crew, I'm not sure if they are on her side(most likely) or were attacked and replaced.
While she purposely missed to probably not cause any notable damage. So if Harekaze gets seized, the crew can't prove the LCS attacked first as no damage is actually done.
But the attack will still provoke self-defense and Harekaze counter-attacks. Based on the damage and splash, it appears the training torpedo is replaced with live rounds. This allows her to call in as mutiny.

Even if Harekaze calls in to HQ and tell their side of the story, they have no evidence to prove they were even attacked.
Also as someone said, the instructor might of picked the less competent student as captain for an easy prey, but I'm not fully on board with that theory. Of course, it's a pretty interesting one nonetheless.

The real plot hole is how do you get lost when in formation with the rest of the fleet, in clear weather? Even if you broke down, would at least one other ship stay with you if you are not returning back to base?
zcv45Apr 10, 2016 7:51 PM
Apr 10, 2016 8:08 PM

Dec 2009
Really great start. I thought it was going to be slice of life from what I saw before hand but shit got serious in the second half! I wonder just how serious this series will get? Definitely a fan so far with the cute girls and ship battles!
Apr 10, 2016 8:10 PM

Jan 2014
I was not expecting this but am pleasantly surprised.
Apr 10, 2016 8:11 PM

Aug 2009
Military moe?! I'm fucking sold.

First ep was awesome. Really hope they don't fuck it up with trying to make the show dark and failing at it.
Apr 10, 2016 8:52 PM
Dec 2015
If you asked me the show wasn't bad. I thought it was pretty good. Although not sure what happened towards the end. I mean the fact the other ship didn't respond to them and the fact they was using real live rounds on the students didn't make sense yet either. Also the fact the other ship attacked them first makes no sense why the girls are the ones in the wrong.

Anyways can't wait to see where this goes from here and the reason behind everything. Also noticed people thinking this show was a slice of life, but it was clearly aired as a school anime so not sure where you got Slice of Life from the word School anime. Also if memory serve me when i looked it on here it only had one gender and that being school. No other titles like slice of life, ect was listed, but i'll check again to be sure.

As for a school anime i thought it was pretty interesting. Looking forward to see what happens next.

I looked it up i guess they changed the gender of the anime sense i last looked it up. It's now listed as Action, Military, School, Sci-fi. No Slice of life list as of now.
MasterrazorApr 10, 2016 8:57 PM
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2016

153 by Shirowhite01 »»
Yesterday, 5:05 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2016

62 by Shirowhite01 »»
Oct 12, 6:20 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2016

62 by wildhood »»
Aug 27, 2023 4:44 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2016

119 by Cyroro »»
Apr 14, 2023 3:38 AM

Poll: » High School Fleet Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2016

57 by jasutin_hoshi »»
Sep 21, 2022 7:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.