Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 3, 2009 3:41 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode so close to the end now.

Aug 31, 2009 4:04 PM

Aug 2008
Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome.
Nov 15, 2010 1:59 PM

Aug 2009
Lol, WTF photoshoot
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Jul 4, 2011 6:33 AM
Feb 2008
I don't get Utena's reaction when she saw Anthy and Akio being intimate.... I was expecting something to happen :S
Aug 6, 2011 4:28 PM

Nov 2009
i thought something would happen too. i didnt really understand this episode. i mean it looks like utenas found her resolve but did she understand what was going on with akio and anthy? that she was like a prisoner to her own life? did she remember her promise from when she was a kid? wtffff

the whole "i poisoned your tea too" thing was kind of funny, ironic and confusing all at the same time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2011 3:07 PM

Apr 2009
Confused
Aug 14, 2011 1:40 PM

Jan 2010
this is some crazy Evangelion s**t.
Sep 19, 2011 4:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
What the hell is going on? Is all this a dream, or what? And why are the other council members acting so strange.

Utena almost has her own harem now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 1, 2012 6:39 AM

Jul 2011
the whole poison scene is confusing, but it's kinda awesome!
but, why did all of sudden Anthy decide to commit suicide??
Jun 18, 2012 5:42 PM

Dec 2009
Hah, the poison thing was disturbing, but interesting. It's almost over..
Dec 20, 2012 5:33 PM
Aug 2007
The poison thing was confusing as hell and was completely out of place with what was going on... and that suicide scene? Wtf....

Anyway. I hope everything is explained clearly in these last two episodes... although I get the feeling it's just gonna be more cryptic symbolism all the way til the end :/
Dec 26, 2012 8:03 PM

May 2010
It's like I missed an entire episode. Things are moving too quickly...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 31, 2013 12:09 PM

Mar 2012
I am so confused right now. The only thing I can pull from this episode is that Utena somehow freed Miki and Juri from their burdens, but it feels like a long shot.
Mar 7, 2013 12:56 AM

Aug 2007
Whelp, I'm just interested in how Utena is going to act when she recovers her memories and the truth is revealed.

I'm disappointed that she didn't bring up the Akio x Anthy scenery she stumbled upon, though...

Jul 13, 2013 8:55 PM

Jun 2013
DaiTomodachi said:
this is some crazy Evangelion s**t.

Haha, I thought Evangelion was pretty straight-forward. I have no idea what is happening with Utena.
Jul 19, 2013 9:19 PM
Apr 2011
the poison thing was a very dry joke between the two, i believe. nothing too significant. probably.

also, i assume the suicide thing was a dream? idk tho they've always made it really obvious when utena was dreaming before, this time they gave no explanation.
Jan 26, 2014 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
Did anybody attempt to make sense of the "shadow scene" in this episode? The two shadow girls were acting for a certain role in the play: and they kept saying "Chuu Chuu." Is this trying to tell us something about Chuu Chuu and his real identity? I get the feeling that something huge will be revealed about him in the next couple episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
I'm basically just really lost now. Not sure if Anthy x Utena hate each other, or like each other, not sure when or if Utena will bring up the Anthy x Akio dynamic etc etc. I'll just watch till the end. Seems to be the only plan.
Jun 12, 2014 9:00 AM

Oct 2012
Man that scene with Utena, Mickey, Juri and Nanami was perfect. That jazz piece really made it complete.

Nov 21, 2014 8:54 AM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
Whalelala said:
Man that scene with Utena, Mickey, Juri and Nanami was perfect. That jazz piece really made it complete.

Agreed! Such a great group of people.

I really enjoyed the poison bit. It wasn't confusing to me, but it sure was exciting.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Jan 24, 2015 5:08 PM

Jul 2014
This episode was really touching... I was worried that Anthy and Utena would get in a bad fight and not be friends anymore. ;;
Feb 22, 2015 5:36 PM

Nov 2013
Whalelala said:

Agreed, wonderful scene. It was great to see that Juri, Miki, and even Nanami have moved on from their problems and can even laugh about them.

The dialogue between Utena and Anthy about poison was intriguing. I think they were just acknowledging the fact that they've hurt (poisoned) each other; despite this, they forgive each other and still wish to be together (which is why they say their "poisoned" food still tastes good).

I did some quick research on Lucrezia Borgia. She's the sister of a dude named Cesare Borgia, who was greatly admired by Machiavelli and was often referenced in his book The Prince. Hmm...
Mar 20, 2015 4:52 AM
Feb 2015
Whalelala said:

TOTALLY. That's probably my favourite scene of this episode. Juri's joke made my day.
Mar 21, 2015 3:09 PM

Apr 2014
this episode has been the most confusing one for so far. so many questions
May 29, 2015 4:00 AM

May 2013
So much hype building in this episode, the photo shoot scene was very funny,

Tienjt said:

The dialogue between Utena and Anthy about poison was intriguing. I think they were just acknowledging the fact that they've hurt (poisoned) each other; despite this, they forgive each other and still wish to be together (which is why they say their "poisoned" food still tastes good).

Good insight, they really do care about each other and this episode proved it.
Oct 7, 2015 10:56 AM

Jul 2014
lol at all the modeling sessions.

4/5
Nov 26, 2015 10:26 AM
Nov 2010
Tien said:
Whalelala said:

Agreed, wonderful scene. It was great to see that Juri, Miki, and even Nanami have moved on from their problems and can even laugh about them.

Everyone's saying goodbye so that the leads can ... reach their conclusion.

Tien said:

I did some quick research on Lucrezia Borgia. She's the sister of a dude named Cesare Borgia, who was greatly admired by Machiavelli and was often referenced in his book The Prince. Hmm...

Yeah there's a lot of Machiavellian layers throughout.

The "mutual understanding" of "mutual hurt" is usually seen as the underlying meaning of the cantarella scene. At the very least, they're both now openly acting passively-aggressively... Utena saw Akio and Anthy, and Anthy *saw* that Utena saw them. Some have considered it to be similar to (or an example of) a suicide pact, considering how much they both realize what's going on and the darkness that could be ahead. That POV does lead to some interesting interpretations of the ledge scene that follows.

Edit: That's especially important at this point when you consider the Shadow Girls' play's conclusion: "Did you know only one girl can be chosen at the audition?" Clearly the implication is that between Utena and Anthy, they can't BOTH win...

There's a nice write-up on this scene at http://utena-explained.tumblr.com/post/58740487399/mod-cristina-this-is-actually-one-of-my-favorite.
EtceteralNov 26, 2015 10:44 AM
Dec 5, 2015 9:22 AM
Jul 2014
Renato said:
Confused
owlpoop said:
this episode has been the most confusing one for so far. so many questions

Same here?!?
Dec 12, 2015 9:11 PM

Feb 2015
Another interesting episode, though some parts were confusing. It was pretty odd that Anthy would attempt to commit suicide like that right after a scene where she wished to still be with Utena ten years in the future.

The only explanation I can come up with is that Anthy wants Utena to be able to be together with Akio and forget about revolutionizing the world to save Anthy and be her prince.

Pretty self-sacrificial, but it's clear with that ending that Utena has every intention of saving Anthy. I'm really loving this series so far.
Feb 18, 2016 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
Damn, i was expecting Utena to lose her shit over seeing Anthy and Akio,...Oh well.

OH HAVE I MISSED YOU, NANAMI!!!!
A few episodes ago i would have never said that lol, she really has grown on me.
Jul 10, 2016 9:14 PM

Sep 2015
This was a kind of puzzling episode especially considering that the last one's ending seemed to promise a big confrontation this go round. It was kind of just more set up for the finale, with some really effective insight into how tormented Anthy is. But it had enough unique thought provoking moments, the kind that deliberately defy basic explanation the series specializes in I could hardly call it boring or a waste. Plus the ending and the fact we're now two episodes from the end seems to promise some serious conflict next time. Still I think a lot of people had clear ideas of what was going to happen here, like Utena just throwing down with Akio on the spot and the fact it kept the slow burn going is sure to be a controversial move. Particularly Utena's offscreen date with Akio which I didn't quite understand.

My favorite part of the episode is how it gave us one last big scene (possibly our last) with each of the student council. I liked the kind of goofily yaoi tone of Touga and Saonji's interactions together. Especially the undertones that Saonji is a begrudging bottom, as he's consistently unhappy with his more passive position when the two are doing things together. As with last episode it's kind of amusing to see how the mighty have fallen. All they can do now is speculate on what Utena and Akio will do in the end. That and their conversations have me increasingly curious what answers we'll get about revolutionizing and the end of the world.

Even more enjoyable was Utena's badminton match with the other three. It was nice to see her chummy with Jury and Miki who were never that bad, and again possibly for the last time. That Jury and Miki have come to admire Utena and even at least teasingly love her was surprisingly gooey for the show if still a little humorous. I ended up really liking Nanami near the end too, now that she's been broken down to size a little her personality wasn't quite as terrible. So she did care about Utena a little all this time, and their concession that they're both argumentative people was as sweet a moment as those two were going to get. I'm glad she's returned to being a normal student with some of her dignity intact she's grown a lot in this series.

I'm palpably excited for the finale. I've always suspected the endgame would be Utena and Anthy falling in love (you'd have to be a little dense not to) but she's such a hard to read character how exactly this would play out was definitely not clear. But now that we've seen how emotionally damaged she is from Akio after that rooftop scene it seems like Utena's poised to save her from his clutches. Also the poison scene was really funny, but I have a really bad feeling about how that promise is going to turn out.
Jul 22, 2016 4:01 PM

Apr 2016
I like the scene where Utena and Anthy poisoned each other. Nothing is as it seems.
Dec 8, 2016 4:19 AM

Sep 2016
"Everyone is in Love With Utena: The Animation"
I'm glad Juri moved on, at least. I hope they (Miki too) can stay in touch after graduation.

Does Anthy feel pain only when she's outside the school or what?

This was kinda confusing.
Jan 1, 2017 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
These episodes are just so THICK with emotion. It's weird, like I keep thinking back of what I've seen in the past episodes, and it all seems distant. Things are changing rapidly.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 10, 2017 1:26 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
One of my favorite parts is seeing Juri and Miki hang out with Utena. Even Nanami. It seems like they were friends for a long time, just casually talking to her. Kind of sad that it only happens near the end of the anime.

Wonder if Anthy purposefully attempted suicide so Utena can go fight.
Jul 5, 2017 4:04 AM

Dec 2014
Can't wait to finish this so I can google what it is that I watched.
Aug 17, 2017 4:42 PM

Apr 2015
There was something really heartwarming about the badminton scene, as well as Utena and Anthy joking about poisoning each other's tea/cookies. Because it was normal, friendly behavior...something these kids haven't had much of. I was glad to see them find that happiness.

At the same time, Utena has realized her feelings for Anthy. She doesn't love her romantically (but she doesn't have a problem with girl-on-girl love, as she awkwardly explained to Juri), but she's developed a special close friendship to where she wants to have her around for a long time. That's why she was so distraught to see Anthy's attempted suicide, and also why she's made the decision to go to the Castle...likely in the hopes that it will relieve Anthy's pain forever.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 18, 2017 3:20 PM
Aug 2014
Thought there was going to be a reaction to finding Akio and Anthy together from Utena, but all she did was go on a date with Akio. Not the reaction I was expecting.

Apparently Anthy and Utena are very good friends now, problem is I barely see Anthy as a character so I'm having trouble seeing this friendship.
Sep 12, 2017 2:01 AM

Jun 2013
It's all cool and nice that Utena and Anthy forgive each other (the bit about "poisoning" each other's food), but aren't they forgetting about someone? Someone who deceived and took advantage of them both? I don't understand the lack of searing rage. That is, you'd think that all that frustration would have to be directed towards something, at least in words if not action, and it couldn't just be swallowed. I complain so much about melodrama usually, but if there were any right time for it, it would be now.
LeeTailorSep 12, 2017 2:04 AM
Oct 31, 2017 2:25 PM

Jul 2011
Very close to end... shadow girls show somehow felt interesting this time.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 17, 2018 3:59 AM

Jul 2016
So they don't hate each other, well maybe that's what the whole poisoned biscuits scene was about. I feel like this series has to be analyzed in detail to get the whole message.

The last duel next episode, at last. And... the end of the World?
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 16, 2018 1:57 PM

Jan 2017
Honestly, who's gonna screw Akio? u_u' i can't believe things are gonna just be like that.

And Nanami was just way too cute on this episode <3333
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Oct 4, 2018 5:06 PM

Nov 2016
Great set up episode for the final with many wonderful moments, even tho there were some parts I didn't fully understand.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 6, 2019 3:26 PM

May 2010
I'd like to know how these characters feel, or what do they think about their situation... Seriously, I have no idea where this is going.
Jun 2, 2019 4:43 AM

Aug 2017
Another great episode! The cantarella scene was nice, great metaphor for mutual love (this poison is supposed to increase sexual desire in small doses).

Also, there's a great commentary from Ikuhara about it:

EPISODE 37 - “The One Who Brings the World Revolution”

Evidently, some theorize that engagement rings can be traced all the way back to ancient rome, in the days before Christ. At the time, of course, marriage wasn’t a product of love; it was a political affair in a society dominated by men. The concept of romantic love appeared on the historical stage later. Therefore, rings weren’t “proof of love” items; they only signified “proof of contract.”

During the renaissance, military man Cesare Borgia was ablaze with the ambition to conquer Italy. One theory has it that the Borgia family assassinated its political enemies with a poison called cantarella to expand their territory of influence.

I’ve known the world “cantarella” for some time, but I didn’t start to think of it as romantic until I read Ms. Saito’s manga The Flower Crown Madonna. You see, Cesare has a beautiful younger sister named Lucrezia. In this story, Lucrezia entered politically expedient marriages with men from various lands, and her husbands died of mysterious illnesses. She poisoned them with cantarella. Lucrezia loved Cesare as a woman loves a man. For her brother’s dream of world conquest , she married men she didn’t care for, and then she killed them. Lucrezia gave both body and soul out of love for her brother. What a romantic story! That’s what I thought on first reading. I also thought, “I want to take a shot at grappling with her emotions.” I think I had Lucrezia in the back of my mind as I shaped Anthy’s personality.

The scene with Anthy trying to jump was...bizarre. I don't even know whether it's real or not. The city in the background looked like a huge earthquake (the end of the world).

Also, do I even need to mention the amount of symbolism that's getting thrown at the face of the viewer? I believe it's the key to understanding the show properly. For instance, the scene with Utena taking her ring off seems to be extremely important - she's basically broken her promise to Dios because she failed to save her dignity by having sexual affairs with Akio and Touga, thus she's basically choosing "real people" over her miraculous Prince from childhood. Her decision is further emphasized by tearing the letter apart (this letter suggests Utena to come to the castle and meet Dios, as far as I understand). HOWEVER the letter is recreated by Anthy in the end, and Utena seems to have changed her mind - we see her wearing a ring again. Utena is going to meet with Dios.
St0rmbladeJun 2, 2019 4:52 AM
Jul 14, 2019 1:06 PM

Mar 2016
What's with the poisoning and suicide?! ;-;
May 6, 2020 9:50 AM

Sep 2014
lmao the photoshoots are always fun to watch.

The scene with Jury, Micky, Nanami and Utena was amazing. She felt so.. at peace. As if she finally made up her mind.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 11, 2021 12:05 AM

Jul 2016
Okay... so two options: Or Utena is too dense to understand what Akio and Anthy were doing every night or she was seriously more concerned about Anthy stealing Akio from her rather than the whole incest/rape thing going on between them.

Anyways, it seems Utena finally found her resolve and decided to embrace the "prince" role to the fullest in order to keep protecting Anthy. Regarding this, I also have to express my surprise at Utena and Anthy's relationship being "labeled" as the one of close friends rather than potential lovers. Of course, surprise in the sense of some people telling me Revolutionary Girl Utena is among the best yuri anime out there when in reality, the topic this show touches the least... is the one regarding girl-girl love.
SouthRzVaMay 11, 2021 12:09 AM
Dec 8, 2021 1:22 PM

Jul 2020
Guess I’m not the only one who’s confused
n6ahDec 8, 2021 1:26 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

95 by MonkeyShines »»
Sep 2, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

68 by Allmibar »»
Aug 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

52 by Mae_Mae_Online »»
Aug 23, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 23, 2008

102 by DarkSunGuenievre »»
Aug 23, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

95 by Phobossus »»
Aug 23, 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.