Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 11:33 AM

Jan 2021
Don't you get tired of checking 20 shows per season, have you really watched everything that might interest you that has already came out

Checking out 5+ seasonal anime as they are airing every single season is an addiction

There is no way you can't get tired or burned out from that, you must have become dependent on anime to get you through your life

I once tried this lifestyle and started turning to ashes after less than a month
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 16, 11:51 AM

Sep 2016
I feel no need to keep up anymore, I abandoned FOMO many years ago.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 16, 11:56 AM
Aug 2018
I used to do that, but now I don't care about low tier seasonal anime. I'll just wait until whatever current anime shows finish airing, look for hidden gems or highly praised shows, and then watch them.

May 16, 11:58 AM

Feb 2020
Nowadays I'm kinda picky and only watch a couple of shows per season.
May 16, 12:01 PM

Apr 2012
Depends on the season, my involvement in it and very banal things like my mood and my affairs IRL. There were seasons where I was several weeks late on virtually every show, for example. But in general, I more or less manage to keep track of at least 6-7 shows that I love the most in the season.
May 16, 12:03 PM

May 2019
I don't keep up with anything, i watch whatever i want whenever i want it.
May 16, 12:21 PM

Jan 2021
wrd imagine watching multiple airing anime and having to wait for the next eps

Migi... Handle the defence.
May 16, 12:25 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I like to keep up with all of the short episode series. I also try to keep up with at least 1-2 longer seasonals. If I fall behind though or don't start everything I wanted to, it is what it is.
May 16, 12:26 PM

Sep 2018
If I forced myself to keep watching the 40% of seasonals I usually drop, that would be torture and I would definitely burn out.

Cammell said:
Checking out 5+ seasonal anime as they are airing every single season is an addiction

5 seasonals per week means an average of 18 minutes/day. If you can watch anime while commuting or eating, you could watch twice or thrice as much without wasting a second of your free time.
May 16, 12:50 PM

Jul 2016
I don't get the appeal either, many years of watching 20+ or even some seasons close to 50 series, not worth the grind for sanity sake lol.
May 16, 2:13 PM

Jul 2013
I spend >5 hours watching anime per day btw...is that excessive anime viewing???
May 16, 2:27 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Nirinbo
If I forced myself to keep watching the 40% of seasonals I usually drop, that would be torture and I would definitely burn out.

Cammell said:

5 seasonals per week means an average of 18 minutes/day. If you can watch anime while commuting or eating, you could watch twice or thrice as much without wasting a second of your free time.
@Nirinbo type of person that gets ticks if it tries to sit alone with it's own thoughts
May 16, 2:34 PM

Sep 2019
Watching every seasonal anime just for sake of raking up your stats is kinda crazy, I usually just pick what looks interesting to me.
May 16, 2:35 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Zayvex
Watching every seasonal anime just for sake of raking up your stats is kinda crazy, I usually just pick what looks interesting to me.
@Zayvex sounds like a reasonable modus operandi imo...
May 16, 2:40 PM

May 2018
Are there even 20 shows worth following every season?
Naaah, man, 6-7 max. That's like one evening to catch up to all the seasonals from the week.
May 16, 2:49 PM

Apr 2024
Wait, you guys really watch everything that airs because you can't tell whether you will most likely enjoy something or not before starting it?..
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 16, 2:50 PM

Oct 2019
Honestly, putting sequels aside, there are like 5 anime each season that are truly worth watching, give or take depending on how good the season is.

I don't think people understand, you don't need to watch more than 20 anime in a singular year to keep up with most of the discussions. no one cares about the 5 and 6s. If they aren't entertaining you, just drop them.

As I said that I realized I should probably drop mysterious disappearances. I'll wait to see if people say it gets better, but if not, I'm not watching the rest.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 16, 3:02 PM

Jan 2013
It's not an "addiction" per say, but at least half of the seasonal shows I watch are for novelty and mindless entertainment, not to keep up.

Also, you need to up that number to 10 at the absolute minimum. Including sequels, it's nothing to find 5 good shows every season.
LostSpectreMay 16, 3:06 PM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 16, 3:06 PM

May 2016
Anyone who tries to "keep up" are in the medium for the wrong reasons.
May 16, 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Notoshin
wrd imagine watching multiple airing anime and having to wait for the next eps

@Notoshin Just watch so many seasonals that you won't even think about that, because there's something new every day. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 16, 3:17 PM

Jul 2015
I used to be somewhat like that, feeling the pressure to try out many different anime, either seasonals or completed titles, because of FOMO. I would dive into numerous shows just to keep up with the latest trends. Nowadays, I just don’t give a damn. While I might watch something out of pure curiosity, the moment I lose interest, I instantly drop it. I don’t have the mentality or the energy to keep up with so many shows anymore.

And that's also why I'm more picky these days. Instead of trying to keep up with every new release or whatever my friends talk about, I focus on titles that truly interest me. This approach not only saves me time but also enhances my overall viewing experience. By being selective, I can fully enjoy the anime I watch without feeling overwhelmed or burned out. It's a much more sustainable and enjoyable way to engage with the medium. Well, for me at least.
May 16, 3:21 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Cammell
@Nirinbo type of person that gets ticks if it tries to sit alone with it's own thoughts
@Cammell I didn't say I'm doing that, it was just an example :)
May 16, 3:22 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Reshiram_IX
Anyone who tries to "keep up" are in the medium for the wrong reasons.
@Reshiram_IX that is correct. I just watch old anime shows whenever I am bored...I torrent it from wco.tv btw...
May 16, 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
Well shit, I'm currently watching TWENTY-SIX seasonal shows, not even counting the two that started last season.

- There's 5 shows I definitely would not drop.

- There's 8 shows that I mostly want to keep.

- There's 13 shows I could drop at any point.
LostSpectreMay 16, 3:28 PM
May 16, 3:39 PM

May 2016
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Reshiram_IX that is correct. I just watch old anime shows whenever I am bored...I torrent it from wco.tv btw...
@DesuMaiden Ahaha. I can’t tell if you’re trolling or being serious with that one lol
May 16, 3:39 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
I used to binge everything till I burned out. Now I'm focusing on a select few seasonal ones, as my time is limited due to my work, and it actually works well for me. I'd rather watch at 2x speed or just fast-forward every few seconds if I had to watch an entire season of something mediocre, which is currently 95% of the entire medium for me.

Occasionally I'll leave some really good proven title to watch from start to finish, but it's much easier and more comfortable for me to watch weekly.

I wouldn't call it an addiction though.
May 16, 4:12 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to PostMahouShoujo
Wait, you guys really watch everything that airs because you can't tell whether you will most likely enjoy something or not before starting it?..
@PostMahouShoujo, I used to commit to seasonal anime wholeheartedly, keeping up with weekly episodes--even on the shows I never liked. I primarily did this for a sense of curiosity but also to keep up with what was going on and put my thoughts on it.

I imagine it's different for others though.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 16, 5:38 PM

Jul 2021
"Keep up" with what exactly? With whom? The MAL community? The "online discourse"?

I'm not tired of checking out and following seasonals. It's fun to discover new shows and enjoy them one episode at a time. If anything, I can't seem to binge shows that easily these days.

These days I'm on a sweet spot of only 6-10 shows per season, anyway. If "keeping up" like this is not fun any more, I'll stop and go do something else; you should, too.

May 16, 7:20 PM

Feb 2021
I really never understand why some people force themselves to "watch X amount of shows" or strict themselves with "I never drop anything that's why I pick what I watch carefully". Why restrict yourself? I guess if you watch too many episodes a day that you get an addiction, that just means you have too many time to spare, and I don't mean that in an insulting way. Work on something else, make yourself busy and I'm sure the addiction will stop.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 17, 8:25 AM

May 2022
I think the number of anime that i started but still not finished might be around 40-50 and i still won't refrain from starting new ones
May 17, 8:43 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know. I just watch anime without thinking too much about it. Anime is enjoyable by itself, no need to stress about it.

One advice I can give would be to avoid watching everything you want at once. You should keep some of the best anime for the ending season. It's easier to catch up and watch 6-12 episodes of a very good anime than a mediocre anime. Mediocre anime are easier to watch on a weekly basis so I essentially keep them and watch them while multi-tasking.
May 17, 8:44 AM

Jan 2009
im only watching 5-10 anime shows in average per season
May 17, 9:17 AM

Jun 2019
When I got into anime in 2019 I found watching 20+ seasonal anime a good way to watch a lot of shows a little at a time and find what I liked and didn't like. As OP says it's hard to keep up and these days I only pick up a handful of seasonal shows, mostly because it's very difficult with newly airing shows that aren't sequels to determine what'll be worth your time. So now I tend to wait and see what shows get mentioned and praised at the end of a season and then binge them. There are those hidden gems that you sometimes find, shows that appeal to you, and no one seems to mention when you watch a lot of seasonal anime, but hey ho can't watch everything.

Some shows are best watched weekly, but I prefer most shows to have finished airing so I can watch at my leisure and pace.

Most recently I picked up Dangers in my Heart after all the acclaim, despite not being a fan of school romance, and loved it.
May 17, 9:27 AM

Dec 2015
I just like watching anime. Is that a crime?
May 17, 4:25 PM

Jul 2013
Keep up? You should definitely give up imo...
May 17, 10:03 PM

Jan 2008
Man, it can become a chore if you want to ALWAYS keep up as stuff is airing. But it's easier to just marathon once a show is over. There's probably like 2000 TV worth checking out, if you're a total generalist, you'll never run out of new things to watch. I feel like always trying to be on top of new stuff just burns you out. I've burned out so many times, but I'm going to leave this Earth loving anime, and watching as much as I can.

Looking back, there's only a handful of times I had a true blast with current airing shows. Guilty Crown stands alone in that. Good god.
May 17, 10:09 PM

Apr 2020
keep up with what? 99% of the animes being released are utter shit.. no ones missing out on anything.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 10:33 PM

Oct 2018
I don't feel the need of keeping up when I reached 1000 anime. I also got a job now so I reduced my time to watch anime.
May 17, 10:36 PM

May 2021
I think keeping up with seasonals is fun in general but especially when you’re a part of an online anime community it kinda feels nice to be watching stuff at the same time, then there’s current things to discuss too

I wish there were more shows I was watching this season tbh I’m only keeping up with 2 and have a lot more fun when I’m looking forward to weekly eps of 5+ shows

if you only really watch anime keeping up with 5 weekly shows is like 2 hours of tv a week which is conservative to say the least when you think of how long people are on TikTok and other socials per week
May 17, 10:37 PM

Oct 2013
Wrong...When I was keeping with things as they aired, it wasn't because I was dependent on anime. It's because anime was still relatively new to me, so I wanted to keep up with everything because I was way more excited for new shows back then. Now I have zero issues waiting for things to finish. Which is weird, because I'm still impatient as fuck.
May 17, 10:47 PM

May 2015
About 10 shows per season are quite comfortable for me, even up to 15 are fine as it turns out to be just 2-3 episodes a day and I consume them with my meals. I find it more daunting with older shows that are already fully aired because there's a lot a lot of episodes.

But anyway, just learn to drop the anime you don't enjoy, no one's forcing you to watch everything. To "keep up" with seasonals just the first few episodes are enough, honestly, or even watching through PVs to get the idea what is going on currently. Commit only to what you truly want to watch, and that wouldn't be so difficult.
May 17, 10:55 PM

Jan 2008
I just watch whatever based on rating, reviews, studio, etc. Usually anything with a 7 or higher rating won't massively disappoint. I'm currently watching Bakemonogatari. Just finished Kaguya-sama, Frieren, Kingdom, and Apothecary Diaries. Caught up with Mushoku Tensei and Konosuba now.
May 17, 11:59 PM

Nov 2019
That's the toxic part about the anime community, too much FOMO and by the end of the season if one show hasn't been caught up on it's going on-hold because the next season started.
May 18, 8:57 AM

Jul 2013
I rather watch a high-quality anime over and over again...rather than watching a non-stop stream of low-quality anime tbh...
May 18, 9:02 AM

Mar 2023
Watching seasonal anime looks like hell to me.
May 18, 9:14 AM

Jul 2010
Lately I'm mostly enjoying just seasonal. When I get tired I just make a break, and I don't check them all, even skip popular ones often. I would call it addiction if you watch whole season in a day or two, watching 5-6 eps per week can't be addiction.
May 18, 9:15 AM

Jul 2021
There is essentially nothing worth watching, so no, I don't have that issue.
May 18, 9:36 AM

Dec 2017
Keep up? Just watch the shows you actually want to watch. If you want to do something else like playing videogames then do that instead. No point forcing yourself to do something you don't like.
May 18, 10:34 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to alshu
Are there even 20 shows worth following every season?
Naaah, man, 6-7 max. That's like one evening to catch up to all the seasonals from the week.
@alshu That's like an exceptionally good season, and even if there were that many, I'd watch them after the season is over, and people forgot about it already.
May 18, 11:01 AM

May 2022
Once you start working you realize its not really possible to keep up and you only watch a certain amount.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Hidden Gems of Spring 2024

ForgotEyeWasHere - May 11

36 by Zzzz10 »»
9 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - 43 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
14 minutes ago

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - Today

22 by zombie_pegasus »»
29 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

31 by k4rlo »»
43 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1038 by heatguyj »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.