Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2022 2:28 AM
Aug 2016
I used to be very active in the forums a few years ago, and by that I mean, I used to come here on a daily basis. Then slowly, I showed up less and less until a point where I didn't come at all.
Then I slowly stopped even coming to the site. It was daily, then once every few days, then stopped coming for a few weeks and eventually sopped coming for months.
I kept on coming and going, cuz I have a really good friend here and she isn't that active on Discord where I am most active, so here was the only place where I can keep in touch with her (besides Whatsapp and Instagram where I rarely go).
I barely even updated my lists, and I kept that going on for probably over a year. without watching an anime.
Then something happened. I got back into watching anime. I started to watch more, and came here more often to update my lists, to talk to my friend and even to update my profile from time to time cuz I used to love changing my pictures and the aesthetics of my profile.
And then I was bored like yesterday or 2 days ago, and I thought I should check the forums to see what's going on, and I started to spend more time on them, but I realized that there aren't as many topics as they used to be and most of them aren't even that interesting, and some are blocked.
So my question is. Is MAL dead? Or, is it dying?
I mean, it's been like this in the past years too, but I feel like there were at least double the questions back then. Now, I barely see any activity.
I still saw some users in the forums that I know from back then, but others seem to have completely vanished.
The site is still here, users still use it, more or less, but the forum activity seem to have diminished.
Since I was away I don't know the state the site is in right now, so tell me, is it like it used to be, or slowly fading away?
I honestly remember it being more lively, or at least it was that way in my perspective.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 30, 2022 2:40 AM

Mar 2015
I think it's active enough. Plenty of new threads every day.
Nov 30, 2022 2:45 AM

Jan 2009
most forum activity is on anime series discussion now since that is the only subforum showing in the Official Mobile App and there are more Mobile users than Desktop users now

casual discussion is dead the strict rules killed it

plus as you said discord is a thing and that is killing all forums on the internet more
Nov 30, 2022 2:51 AM

Aug 2022
Myanimelist has been dead since it was created.
Mao said:
If you have to shit, shit! If you have to fart, fart!
Nov 30, 2022 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
What is dead may never die, but rises again, stronger and harder.
Nov 30, 2022 3:13 AM
Jul 2018
Needs to combine with anilist and make the ultimate mobile app.
Nov 30, 2022 3:23 AM

Jun 2019
Compared to the pre-Rule 7 era, MAL is indeed dead. You have to be a genius not to get your threads locked by the way—unless you ask questions such as "What did you have for breakfast?"—for they will be considered controversial if you used too complicated words, and "not encouraging discussion" if they are slightly humorous.
Nov 30, 2022 3:30 AM

Dec 2013
MAL is dead generally

MAL clubs who looked like they still active are because the creator and few admins (who probably alt accounts of the creator) desperately making the club active by making the comment section of the club looked active

The graphic contest are monopolized by the same people, who vote each other to make them in the top ranks

Nov 30, 2022 3:42 AM

Mar 2011
Interesting questions gets harder and harder to keep producing. Can't say what could be the factors contributing but the lack of activity is noticeable. Wouldn't say its dead though.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 30, 2022 4:17 AM

Nov 2020
Compared to the way it was 5 or 6 years ago it is indeed a bit dead. But for me, and for a lot of other users probably, it doesn't matter really. We're here to have an easy way to keep track of anime, forums are just an occasional sideshow
Nov 30, 2022 4:39 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
Probably depends on what exactly "dead" means to you.

The site itself? There are a lot more changes happening than there used to. The site is constantly being updated and I feel like there haven't been that many updates before as there are now (yes, I know that people want dark mode which has yet to be implemented, but I'm sure it'll come at some point). Of course, not all changes are to everyone's liking, but I guess that's how it is.

The forum? Maybe not as active as it was a few years ago, but I wouldn't say it's dead. There are still lots of posts and new topics every day, especially in the episode discussions. However, due to the removal of Current Events, a lot of people stopped coming to the forums altogether. I think that shows.

The clubs? Apart from a few active card or events clubs, yeah, they're mostly dead.

But I'd say the userbase itself is growing as anime becomes more and more mainstream these days. Most new users are probably only updating their lists instead of engaging in the forums or clubs. BUT! As someone who has been participating in MAL events like MALoween or Secret Santa for several years now, I can say that the activity there has increased a lot (mainly due to profile badges).
With similar sites like AniList or Anime-Planet, people just have to find the site that suits their likes the most. I have been a member of MAL for almost 10 years now and I don't really like the other sites, but that's just a matter of taste, I'm an old person that loves the classic and simple style of MAL lol

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Nov 30, 2022 5:15 AM
Jul 2018
if ure comparing this with covid year activity (2020) then yeah it has gone down. i remember i used to be perpetually online then due to wfh and insomnia
Nov 30, 2022 6:03 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
These forum died before you join. 2016 and up you don't remember this site it was good. "You joined in 2022" take my user url and go to way back machine.
Nov 30, 2022 6:32 AM

Dec 2013
Amityblight said:
These forum died before you join. 2016 and up you don't remember this site it was good. "You joined in 2022" take my user url and go to way back machine.

2015 is at best, if you judge from how active and creative MAL clubs were

Nov 30, 2022 6:56 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
philtecturophy said:
Amityblight said:

They were active 2012, 2013 and 2014
Mal used to be so lit new guys have no clue.
Nov 30, 2022 7:04 AM

Dec 2013
Amityblight said:
philtecturophy said:

I started to look at MAL clubs at 2015 and they were amazing.
Some clubs back then:
Chill club, Tea party day break, LOCS, CD2, Ethereal Realm, etc., all great clubs.
I don't know before that, maybe before were even more amazing

PS: lots people gonna argue I included CD2 in that list, but it was indeed a great club back then, very polite people, and it was my first MAL club, when I was randomly invited by the creator Berserker, thats when I knew MAL has clubs

Nov 30, 2022 7:25 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Depends on what you're referring to, the forums are not very active but that's all forums across the web, if you mean the website then no we have more monthly visitors than ever if you check out web traffic trackers.
Nov 30, 2022 8:11 AM

Aug 2009
Things are a little less interesting with Flowers permanently banned, but new threads keep getting made and whatnot.

Nov 30, 2022 9:36 AM
Jul 2021
Yes it is dead, murdered in the library hit in the head by a wrench. And no, the buttler didn't do it.

So moving on....
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Nov 30, 2022 9:37 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
philtecturophy said:
Amityblight said:

I started to look at MAL clubs at 2015 and they were amazing.
Some clubs back then:
Chill club, Tea party day break, LOCS, CD2, Ethereal Realm, etc., all great clubs.
I don't know before that, maybe before were even more amazing

PS: lots people gonna argue I included CD2 in that list, but it was indeed a great club back then, very polite people, and it was my first MAL club, when I was randomly invited by the creator Berserker, thats when I knew MAL has clubs

I was mod for a club own by friend of mine who never active. I meet a lot nice and cool users who no longer use the site.

ACasualViewer said:
Depends on what you're referring to, the forums are not very active but that's all forums across the web, if you mean the website then no we have more monthly visitors than ever if you check out web traffic trackers.

That too. Forums are things of past.
Nov 30, 2022 9:42 AM

Jan 2016
I used to come on here every single day until the site was hacked or whatever and was offline for a while. Then when I came back after everything was restored, it was kind of dead. No one I talked with on a daily basis uses this site anymore. The clubs that were super active have now fizzled out. But I am sure that not all areas were affected. The forums still seem pretty active. I just personally do not come around as often.
Nov 30, 2022 12:19 PM

Jun 2011
Yeah the mods killed the forums years ago with shitty new rules. But what do they care, they don't even post here.
Nov 30, 2022 12:32 PM

Mar 2008
Yes, the long down time of the site, the character limit making posting frustrating, paired with authoritarian mods shutting down the majority of topics that would get a lot of replies with their trash rules and new mods never questioning those rules because they havent been around for more than a couple years mostly only existing after the rules were made and barely if ever use the forums and probably have never used another forum in their life so they dont know how forums are run just Twitter, Reddit and Facebook. Out of touch. Clubs that implemented Discord groups did themselves in.
Nov 30, 2022 1:05 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
ACasualViewer said:
the forums are not very active

Because you mods are so strict about the content of the threads these days and don't cut any slack.. people are just afraid to speak...
You have to be clever to get your point across without offending somebody's personal opinions..

.. They don't update pictures of characters and characters info or add new Manga to the database..

They all just monitor reports and hand out bans and lock threads..

Nov 30, 2022 1:33 PM

Sep 2022
ryo-san said:
ACasualViewer said:

Because you mods are so strict about the content of the threads these days and don't cut any slack.. people are just afraid to speak...
You have to be clever to get your point across without offending somebody's personal opinions..

.. They don't update pictures of characters and characters info or add new Manga to the database..

@ACasualViewer isn't a forum moderator so it ain't their fault.

Honestly mate, no matter what we say, the "forum mods" just won't listen to reason.

Look at Rule #7 for example... like 95% of the forum community hated that rule and wanted that rule to be removed.

Guess what the "Forum Mods" did? They made terrible excuses and basically said "nope". I don't hate them but being dismissive towards users who disagree with their rules is beyond ridiculous.

If it wasn't for the strict rules and mods (only some) who abuse their power, MyAnimeList forums wouldn't be dead.

Hope @StephWeeb can tell this to the other mods but I doubt they will listen.
GoatPieceLuffyNov 30, 2022 1:48 PM
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
Nov 30, 2022 1:42 PM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
ThePrinceOfAcid said:

The other forum mods/community mods, maybe even admins might read this post. As I am from the generation of Forum Moderators that was appointed after the CE closure I sadly can't give my opinion in this matter as I have not a clue how bad Current Events actuall was to moderate.

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
Nov 30, 2022 2:04 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Yes but actually no. They still give us some updates occasionally and add some useful functions like stack. In the other hand, many active users in the past dropped this site for various reasons, most clubs are dead, there're a serious lack of significant forum discussions, the Anime and Manga mods usually reject update requests especially for lesser-known entries.
Nov 30, 2022 2:14 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
kizumi91 said:
the Anime and Manga mods usually reject update requests especially for lesser-known entries.

This is the absolute truth.. I saw some Manga which listed elsewhere but weren't listed on Mal,so I asked if they can add them but I didn't get any responses back..
I wanted it added to the database so that I could add it to my stack of shoujo mystery
https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/medium-reibai-tantei-jouzuka-hisui

Nov 30, 2022 3:25 PM

Mar 2008
StephWeeb said:
ThePrinceOfAcid said:

The other forum mods/community mods, maybe even admins might read this post. As I am from the generation of Forum Moderators that was appointed after the CE closure I sadly can't give my opinion in this matter as I have not a clue how bad Current Events actuall was to moderate.

More than that. Unless you are on a second account you weren’t on the site before any of the rule changes that so many complain about.
Nov 30, 2022 3:57 PM

Nov 2022
What rule changes? I was probably not here when changes happen so I want to know.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 1, 2022 1:27 AM

Mar 2008
ThorLL said:
What rule changes? I was probably not here when changes happen so I want to know.

A lot to cover if I go over every board but you can see it in the rules for each board. Just read the post dates and edit dates and you can see when the additions were added because new posts were made for the updates often.
Dec 1, 2022 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
it's slowly dying because mods wanna keep the forums kids friendly, another problem is that mods are incompetent so they just delete what they feel like it, hence few people bother to post on AD and the like
the database is bad in regards to old anime because the mods don't care about old or unpopular stuff, I can't add characters for Kimegumi because it will take 5 months for them to be allowed and sometimes the mods will just delete those entries yet fucking one piece characters are added after one day after the episode airs. I went to edit info about some manga but still nothing, I even provided proof yet new shit gets all the edits. Mods might argue that they're few which is fair but why even have a db if you don't care about it?
Things like these make people lose interest in mal overall
Dec 1, 2022 4:01 AM

Nov 2022
I see, sad times.

Probably because 'kids frendly stuff' is profitable, not just Disney but even Hayayo Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli got so fat and rich of that,

Does MAL somehow profit from kid frendliness?
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Dec 1, 2022 2:33 PM

Mar 2008
ThorLL said:
I see, sad times.

Probably because 'kids frendly stuff' is profitable, not just Disney but even Hayayo Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli got so fat and rich of that,

No, they cant even have users under age of 13 because US data collection laws.
Dec 1, 2022 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
ryo-san said:
ACasualViewer said:

They lock everything if it's not about praising Chainsaw Man.
Dec 1, 2022 2:48 PM

Feb 2020
Be glad we still have a forum. Other sites are closing down their forums, look at crunchyroll.
Dec 1, 2022 3:00 PM

Jul 2019
lol, doesn't this thread turn up like every year or smth
Dec 1, 2022 3:00 PM

Jun 2011
ThorLL said:
I see, sad times.

I don't think MAL itself cares. The moderator Ardanaz (who barely posts in the forums) has bragged in the past about being responsible for rule 7 and the closing of CE, so it's more of a volunteer mod decision than a MAL decision.
Dec 1, 2022 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
"Dead" in the sense that the threads in AD specifically are repetitive as fuck. I can't blame anyone if they get tired of replying to the same thing over and over again.
Dec 1, 2022 4:59 PM

Jul 2009
There's so few active people here so... she's dead Jim.
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
🌳                                🌳
🌳     🐝             🦝        🌲   🌳 
🌳      Cursor Nature reserve               🌳
🌳         🦋         🦩      🐕    🌳
🌳                                 🌳
🌳      🐐           🌲       🐧    🌳
🌳                                 🌳
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳🌳
Dec 1, 2022 9:51 PM

Feb 2021
I only joined a year ago so I'm not really sure, but from what most people are saying is that everything has kind of died down a bit compared to earlier years. But still I think and hope that MAL won't die anytime soon.
Dec 1, 2022 11:35 PM

Jun 2017
I've been on the site since 2017 only to mark anime that I've watched. I like having a list of what I've seen and I haven't bothered to switch to aniilist or any other sites. I only started using the forums pretty recently though, but I think it makes sense that the MAL gets less traffic with other sites like aniilist being much superior when it comes to a design perspective. I also think since the internet has gotten bigger there are plenty of other ways to discuss anime, like in private discord servers
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 2, 2022 4:52 AM

Dec 2018
Threads are getting very uninteresting since last year. And it's only getting worse recently with all the Demon Slayer, FMAB bots and CSM threads (they're so mindbogglingly bad it's not even funny). Either way, shouldn't it be a good thing that you're visiting this site less frequently? It's not a particularly productive activity anyway. It's quite fun to visit once in a while, but daily is just not great.
. . .
Dec 2, 2022 6:06 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
BigChef said:
I've been on the site since 2017 only to mark anime that I've watched. I like having a list of what I've seen and I haven't bothered to switch to aniilist or any other sites. I only started using the forums pretty recently though, but I think it makes sense that the MAL gets less traffic with other sites like aniilist being much superior when it comes to a design perspective. I also think since the internet has gotten bigger there are plenty of other ways to discuss anime, like in private discord servers

This is objectively untrue.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/myanimelist.net/vs/anilist.co/#overview
Dec 2, 2022 9:28 AM

Jun 2017
ACasualViewer said:
BigChef said:

The point was there are plenty of other ways to discuss shows now which might lead to less traffic on the site. I wasn't making a statement on aniilist being more popular at all
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dec 2, 2022 11:32 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
BigChef said:
ACasualViewer said:

The point was there are plenty of other ways to discuss shows now which might lead to less traffic on the site. I wasn't making a statement on aniilist being more popular at all

That statement is also untrue, 60 million monthly impressions is on the higher end for us, traffic isn't notably decreasing.
Dec 2, 2022 12:54 PM

Jul 2014
Forums in general are going by way of the dinosaurs because of Discord but I'd say MAL is honestly doing well when taking that into account.
Take care of yourself

Dec 2, 2022 1:39 PM

Mar 2008
Narmy said:
ThorLL said:
I see, sad times.

I don't think MAL itself cares. The moderator Ardanaz (who barely posts in the forums) has bragged in the past about being responsible for rule 7 and the closing of CE, so it's more of a volunteer mod decision than a MAL decision.

He used to post more. He created this club immediately after that no one wanted to join which brings to questiion his motives.
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=75292

Dec 2, 2022 2:05 PM

Dec 2008
This deserves a parody movie. GOD's MAL's not DEAD!

Who would of MAL do that line?

Dec 2, 2022 2:08 PM

Apr 2019
this question gets asked once a month and it's funny. forums are ded in terms of socializing but the actual site in terms of people who click on is doing great
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» On average how tired are you on any given day?

Nette - Yesterday

30 by Jackof-allspades »»
8 minutes ago

» Do mal users have bad reading comprehension?

WaffleMaster89 - Jun 25

17 by DesuMaiden »»
19 minutes ago

» How many pizza slices can you eat at a time?

tsukareru - Jun 22

43 by mshfqtny »»
1 hour ago

» Wrong to marry/have kids with second cousin?

ZakuF_ - Jun 25

39 by traed »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » For those of you who wear accessories like watches and jewelry...

56709 - Dec 3, 2023

26 by Mayahuel »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.