Forum Settings
Forums

Do mal users have bad reading comprehension?

New
Jun 25, 6:52 PM

Oct 2022
I ask this question because in a recent thread (linked here) there seemed to be a lot of people who didn't understand it was a troll post. I mean no sane person would actually want morality indicators in anime.

But that got me thinking in a general sense I see a lot of people either misinterpret what people are saying or they're having two different conversations with each other. You don't want to know how many mal users I've seen get lost in conversations, especially when quote chaining. Although it's an issue with the internet in general it's just interesting how often it happens on mal.

What's your thoughts on this? I'd love to hear different opinions.
-Login to mal
-Looks at notifications
-Three messages deleted
"Oh no"
Jun 25, 7:01 PM

Sep 2018
Irony is pretty hard to detect in online chats. People generally can interpret certain phrases in multiple ways, and jump to conclusions.
Perspectives heavily vary by age, sex. and even looks.
Jun 25, 7:04 PM

Jun 2024
I thought it was a serious post until the last few sentences lol...

how else can the audience figure out that murdering people is wrong? i think this way we can avoid moral confusion.
Jun 25, 7:08 PM
Jan 2016
Well this is the internet; so probably over half of MAL users aren't from a core Anglosphere country. I've always gotten this huge social-disconnect whenever I attempt-socialize. Something, something, neuroticism.
Jun 25, 7:19 PM

Mar 2013
WaffleMaster89 said:
ask this question because in a recent thread (linked here) there seemed to be a lot of people who didn't understand it was a troll post. I mean no sane person would actually want morality indicators in anime.

Perhaps ironically, I think that the original post presents a viable jumping off point for reading comprehension when it comes to anime. Just how can you tell what the author's moral viewpoints are without them stating it? That is partly reading comprehension. It is a pretty interesting discussion then, what the difference may be between, say, Kodomo No Jikan versus Happy Sugar Life, Mushoku Tensei versus Death Note, Gate versus Overlord.

The suggestion of "morality indicators" was in my view a facetious take on a worthwhile discussion.
Jun 25, 7:41 PM

Mar 2008
Terrible example. I always respond to troll posts in a calm serious manner to make it so it isnt fun for them and takes care of for people who are reading who actually believe things like that.
Jun 25, 10:33 PM

Jul 2017
Most people who responded with complete seriousness to the troll thread might’ve just been oblivious due to the tone in which the OP wrote his thread post. There are also those who might’ve realized that the OP was just joking/trolling, but preferred to respond in all seriousness anyways because they wanted to bring up some interesting points and make it a discussion. Others who also picked up on the trollish intent and respond seriously, probably didn’t want to give the OP the type of reaction that he wanted but still wanted to say something.
Jun 25, 10:35 PM

Dec 2021
The irony of people saying people shouldn't need indicators while clearly needing an indicator to detect the trolliness is not lost on me.

No doubt language barriers are the cause for some people missing it. That said, there are a lot of people who say that they want to "shut their brains off" when doing anything outside of work or school, and I would not be surprised if there was a strong correlation between "shutting one's brain off" and missing sarcasm and trolliness.
Jun 25, 11:35 PM
Apr 2022
most of them are anime addicts, not surprised they aren't well adapted to read more than one sentence without animation playing in the background
Jun 26, 12:34 AM

Sep 2016
Some people intentionally take bait for whatever reason, such as arguing for the sake of arguing.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 26, 4:11 AM

Jun 2024
I mean, look at the times we live in, 5 minutes of YT is enough to deep fry your brain with all this bad media

“¡Akarin!.”

― Akaza Akari ―
Jun 26, 4:53 AM

Oct 2010
This thread feels like a breath of fresh air, we need more of this

Maybe next one could be "Do mal users have unrealistic expectations"
Jun 26, 5:40 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
People are posting to get their forum post number up and don't care what the topic is about.
Jun 26, 11:43 PM

Apr 2023
yea bro im straight up stupid, idk what words are these days i just mash buttons and get replioes
Jun 26, 11:58 PM

Feb 2020
It's the same thing literally everywhere, not just here.
Jun 27, 12:54 AM

Jun 2008
I can suffer from this for sure. Often times when I'm reading I tend to blank out and forget what I even read. XD
Jun 27, 5:00 AM

Apr 2020
What the linked thread says is something I heard it irl too (with games instead of anime but still) and unlike the op of that thread, the irl person was 100% serious. That's why I always think of the possibility that the person who is ironic could be even 1% serious unless we talk about something really absurd.
Jun 27, 5:16 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Kwanthemaster
People are posting to get their forum post number up and don't care what the topic is about.
@Kwanthemaster that is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Increase my post count.
Jun 27, 3:30 PM

Sep 2019
It's so easy for one to misinterpret anything on the internet for whatever reason so I can't really blame them, still pretty funny though.
Jun 27, 5:05 PM

Nov 2013
People don't really have enough knowledge of the world to consistently identify if someone is trolling or not. With that being said, you should probably just err on the side of caution and address people seriously.

I mean, He-Man had 'lessons' embedded into episodes where He-Man or whatever character would address the audience on a moral issue and guide young viewers to whatever end they were hoping for. Your thread isn't even a great example of a troll post because there's some feeble merit to it. Even those who attempt at trolling lack the knowledge to know they sometimes stumble onto something that is mildly interesting to discuss. Some childrens TV shows in the past have had production like this, although perhaps not as instrusive to the point of halting story progression to explain something. A lot of childrens programming, especially these days, has to be inclusive to people with the likes of developmental disabilities etc so usually the dialogue/story is simple enough that intrusions aren't all that necessary.

On your second point, a common reason why people generally appear to be having two separate conversations with one another is because they aren't listening and reacting to one another. They're just waiting for their chance to say something in return - regardless of what is coming back at them. Maybe they might touch on one or two things to give an impression that they've read what the other person had to say, but usually the average poster on CD has their mind already made up.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 27, 8:33 PM

Jan 2010
Let say there are people that can't read or understand or able to distinguish sarcasm (or even jokes) on this forum. I mean I'm not only talking MAL, but also on other forum.

Disclaimer: I'm on the autism spectrum, and there are times that I can't read or even detect sarcasm on the online comment or forum because sometime the users doesn't put any indication his/her comment are sarcasm (although I can see and spot the obvious one even without any indication from that user). I'll confess that I one time made a sarcasm online and there were people that couldn't tell if I was joking or I was being serious. I'm not making this up, I even had one guy threatening to report me to law enforcement if I was being serious in that post. So yeah, sarcasm is hard to detect online without any obvious indicator from the user that posted that sarcasm.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Guyz do you hate facial hair too? Do you wax your face or just shave? Do you pluck your beard?

HateFearHunger - 3 hours ago

15 by HateFearHunger »»
2 minutes ago

» what generic things do you find attractive in a guy?

HateFearHunger - Yesterday

37 by HateFearHunger »»
11 minutes ago

» What was your pooerest ever you have been?

HateFearHunger - 18 minutes ago

0 by HateFearHunger »»
18 minutes ago

» I can't enjoy my interests as much as I did in the past, please help?

StrawberryBlxxd - Yesterday

20 by Rurihime »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » the internet is full of hate? ( 1 2 )

deg - Sep 17

50 by Rye_the_Guy »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.