Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 3, 2021 10:19 AM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Mainly putting this here as the episode has now aired on Funimation.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Oct 3, 2021 10:19 AM

Nov 2011
The OP song has a gothic style tune, which fits for this show.

Got quite a bit of world building already and conflicts between superpowers. What did draw me into the first episode is Irina herself. The moment she took that helmet off is when everyone had that strange reaction. She seems like a stoic character though, with a tough personality so I think she'll be fine.

Seems this is the type of anime that experiments with its sci-fi ideas by adding a vampire astronaut.
Oct 3, 2021 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
As a person who loves anime and every little thing about outer space. This hits home to me. Vampires... not so much but I don't mind them. As said, it's about a boy and girl who risk their lives for their love for space. This is set up in the times when humans still had to figure out how to put a man in space, so yes, lots of competition going around. Basically, Vampires + Space = Content.

Lev, my boy, don't worry you're not the only one who has the dream to explore outer space. But, looks like they're planning to send a vampire into space in place of humans because of the obvious reasons. Definitely looks promising with the plot and characters, so far. I like Irina as well, she's beautiful and has a distinct personality. OP is alright, not the greatest.
Oct 3, 2021 10:36 AM

Apr 2014
Nice starts. The ED looks relaxing.
Welcome to the space race but with vampire this time.
Treating vampire as an experimental object. This is discrimination against vampires. Surely, this thing will bring a lot of drama in the future, especially with Lev himself.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 3, 2021 10:58 AM

Jul 2017
We've heard of Man being sent to the Moon, but vampires? This is something new done in a fictional alternate world.

ALI PROJECT's OP has this Final Fantasy gothic feel to it, and Chima's ED is soothing relaxing.

ARVO Animation has really improved their production values, though it's still decent and nothing mindblowing.

Never that I'd see both Russia and the U.S. be maligned in this historical sequence of events, where the USSR made the first move and the other Power nations happened but ended in failure (even the references are clearly stated). The Soviet Union back in Nikita Khrushchev's day must be gleaming with pride.

And this is where brings us to MCs Lev Leps and vampire Irina Luminesk in this "Mechta" Nosferatu Project to travel to the Moon, but are nothing more than mere test subjects, restricted and kept in the utmost secrecy, because USSR morales. Anya Simonyan being Irina's health manager to check on her, and Lev sure has his perceptions on vampires and that everything are myths of nonsense. Gonna have to get used to their relationship going forward.

Getting Megumi Hayashibara to voice Irina, that was the biggest surprise. Never would I have thought that her voice really suits Irina well.

But nonetheless, a good start.
KANLen09Oct 3, 2021 9:27 PM
Oct 3, 2021 11:06 AM
Dec 2019
Vampire doesn't excite me much but sure loving the space concept.
Oct 3, 2021 11:12 AM

Apr 2017
Not entirely sold on the story or the vampire part, but I guess I'll stay with it and give it a chance. Interested to see how far it will go, if it's just about getting a human being (or vampire) into space or if it goes beyond that, landing someone on the moon. Because the space race was about so much more than just getting someone up and down again. Heck, you don't even need to get into orbit to go into space. So I'm looking forward to see where it'll go.

Also, I'm interested to see how historically accurate the show will be. Sputnik 1 and 2 seem to be completely accurate down to the date. The same goes for the first mammal in space (disregarding the changes in their names). The vanguard failure seems also fine and Luna 2 is another one that's completely accurate with the date. If this trend continues that leaves us about a year and a half until the first human spaceflight. Will be interesting to see how this turns out, if it'll be history but with vampires or tell it's own story.
Oct 3, 2021 11:13 AM
Jan 2019
Laika is the name of the actual female dog that the USSR sent to space (and left her there to die). The fact that the Japanese a story about a vampire in her place is why I'll never stop watching anime!
Oct 3, 2021 11:14 AM

Dec 2012
5/5
I love cute hot vampires

Oct 3, 2021 11:15 AM

Aug 2012
So it seems based on the cold war space race, which USSR won but US faked winning. And yeah let's trust Nixon the guy who embezzled the whole europe and destroyed the gold standard! Butanyway interesant premise. The story seems weak but I am interested on how they build their version of vampires.
Oct 3, 2021 11:46 AM

Nov 2016
The premise is something else and it has potenial, but as of now it seems pretty unremarkable in terms of character designs, personalities and dialogue :S

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 3, 2021 11:50 AM

Feb 2012
Alternate early 20th century similar to Yojou Senki.

So we got the UZSR/Zirnitra Union as the USSR/Soviet Union analogue (I think their name is a word from Slavic mythology, no?) and their rivals are the United Kingdom of Arnack, the USA analogue. Similar to the Vanguard launch in real life, Arnack's first attempt also failed.

Ah, knockoff Khrushchev's polandball-tier joke:

Their leaders want their first human spaceflight attempt to broadcast live, which means they cannot cover it up if it fails. N44 is the intermediary between animal spaceflight and human spaceflight. If Irina lives, it's evidence that species with human-like biology can survive in space, if she dies, she's not human so they can cover it up like they did with Marly.

I didn't expect Lev to reveal Irina's ears right off the bat. Though he owed up for not defending her later on, so he knew he was morally wrong. Now his fellow cosmonauts-in-training know about the special task he's been given.

The nightvision ability Irina has will come in handy if the spacecraft she's going to be in stays in the Earth's shadow while in orbit.
Fortress_MaximusOct 3, 2021 12:10 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 3, 2021 11:52 AM

Jul 2011
The OP from Ali Project with the space motif made me feel nostalgic and sad, making me remember one anime that I loved in the past, Sora Kakeru Shojo.

Bullshite of this anime, not even in this timeline Laika(Maly) come back safely. The anime is great, but im still sad with that fact.
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM

May 2021
Was looking forward to this show! The OP is great. The episode was good. I feel sorry for Irina and how she’s going to be treated purely like an object and have no regard for her life for the sake of a space race competition. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 3, 2021 11:56 AM

Apr 2018
The OP is pretty catchy and the ED gives off a chill vibe.

This seems like an informative anime. A bit too much of information in the first episode but it was interesting as hell.

Well, this will be a love story in space between a vampire and a human I guess. Lev seems like a good but pussy-like character but I can see some character development. The political stuff is between Russia and America, pretty interesting too.
And the vampire that Lev will be training for the next two monhts is Irina. A pretty blue haired vampire girl with a curious personality and her health caretaker Anya who has an adorable voice. The girls in this anime are pretty good.

I wanna know more about the Space experiments after this episode. Seems interesting as hell.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 3, 2021 12:59 PM

Nov 2015
Vampires and Space thats a interesting mix .
Oct 3, 2021 1:05 PM

Jan 2020
I can tell that this is going to hit me in the feels later
Oct 3, 2021 1:16 PM

Aug 2013
Space race with a vampire? Seems interesting. Looking forward to this.

Oct 3, 2021 1:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Had no idea this show was coming up and just checked out the first ep out of boredom. Pleasantly surprised. I love me an alternate history and the vampires used as guinea pigs angle is pretty interesting. Too top it off, we get Megumi-sama's beautiful voice too.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 3, 2021 1:29 PM

May 2020
Not completely sold on the execution, but this is a pretty unique premise and it's off to a decent start. I'll stick around for a few more episodes to see where it goes.
Oct 3, 2021 1:38 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Probably the most engaging part of the episode for me was how they got around changing the names of the countries and cities in order to air this. As of now, it's just the race to space with a vampire is the subject. Not even the opening nor ending sequences were above standard. Hopefully it improves.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 3, 2021 1:41 PM

May 2018
- That cyrillic was was brutal...I can't read a thing unless I know beforehand what is written.
- Was that the Pandora Gem from Magic Kaito?
- Now I know why that Detective Conan arc sounded so weird, Megumi Hayashibara was doing her Irina voice instead of her Ai Haibara voice (not that those are very different but still there are some nuances).

Yeah, it was and intriguing first episode especially the alternative history stuff.
alshuOct 3, 2021 1:45 PM
Oct 3, 2021 1:42 PM

Jul 2017
What?

Uchiyama Kouki voicing a character that is not a monotone edgelord???? What a rare occurrence.

but otherwise average start I guess. ngl I thought that vampire was gonna end up being a Nezuko aka a waste of a voice actor but nice to see she actually has dialogue.
Oct 3, 2021 1:51 PM
Oct 2010
alshu said:
- That cyrillic was was brutal...I can't read a thing unless I know beforehand what is written.

It's not real Cyrillic. I wish it was.

It's stylized but lines up more with the Latin alphabet than Cyrillic, and its usage of real Cyrillic characters is inconsistent (both п (Latin p) and И (Latin I) being used in place of Latin Nn. If it was at least consistent in that regard it wouldn't be so bad, but oh well.

Soyuz rocket and cute anime girl is an unstoppable combination.
Oct 3, 2021 1:57 PM

Feb 2021
Damn that opening reminded me so much of the OP of Another, and of course they are both done by the same band.

Just because of this OP I will be looking toward to watching this every sunday from now on.
I don't really understand why so many anime fans don't like the whole vampire genre, but I actually really enjoy this, I hope the romance actually goes somewhere instead of not developing at all like Remake our life did.
Oct 3, 2021 2:02 PM

May 2018
Kothra said:

It's not real Cyrillic.

I know that, защото и в моята страна пишем с разновидност на кирилицата.
I was joking.

Kothra said:
I wish it was.

Actually I like what they use here. It's fun to have some alternative history shenanigans.

Kothra said:
characters is inconsistent (both п (Latin p) and И (Latin I) being used in place of Latin Nn.

Actually there are variants of the Cyrillic which use some latin letters.

Kothra said:
Soyuz rocket and cute anime girl is an unstoppable combination.

Isn't Soyuz the name of the space ship not the rocket?
Oct 3, 2021 2:31 PM
Oct 2010
alshu said:
I know that, защото и в моята страна пишем с разновидност на кирилицата.
I was joking.

Actually I like what they use here. It's fun to have some alternative history shenanigans.

Actually there are variants of the Cyrillic which use some latin letters.

Isn't Soyuz the name of the space ship not the rocket?

Ok fair enough.

Now that you mention it, I have seen things like that before (like Ukrainian using Latin i), but it's just the mixing of different letters to represent the same letter that kind of irks me.

Soyuz is the modern spacecraft, but also the rocket derived from the R-7 missile that launches it. The spacecraft seen in the OP is Vostok (which also launched from a Soyuz rocket).

My bad, Vostok spacecraft launched from a Vostok rocket, which is also based on the R-7. Vostok has the boosters and the core rocket with a small upper stage, while Soyuz has a larger upper stage on top of the core rocket.

I may complain about the writing, but it's still better and more creative than some similar shit I've seen.
KothraOct 3, 2021 2:43 PM
Oct 3, 2021 2:37 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Hmm i like the idea of it but it seems quite generic with the theme of treating it as such and developing love and all that. Lets see if they'll take a different turn.

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Oct 3, 2021 2:41 PM
Feb 2021
Wow this anime looks to be so bad, it look to be so generic and unoriginal oO
Oct 3, 2021 2:50 PM
Mar 2018
Akihap said:

Generic and unoriginal?
What other anime covers the race to space between Russia and the US with vampires?
Oct 3, 2021 3:03 PM
Feb 2021
A-Mux said:
Akihap said:

Generic and unoriginal?
What other anime covers the race to space between Russia and the US with vampires?

I talked about the relation between the two protagonist and their personalities, "she hates humans but she will like him when they will share their passion for space", the kind boy who is taking care of a tsundere girl, ... yes the story is original but the two characters are awfully cliché and boring and moreover their personalities are flat, i dont think you can make them more generic.
AkihapOct 3, 2021 3:12 PM
Oct 3, 2021 3:09 PM

Feb 2020
I can just hear the Soviet patriotism in some of the scores featured in the first episode. Amazing. It's also nice to finally get an anime about the Space Race, even more so the Cold War.

They mentioned the United Kingdom (aka everyone's favourite US of A) only a few times in the ep, but I wonder if they'll have much more impact on their expeditions. Or if it'll just be an indirect thing as in reality.

Good OP as well, and a very chill ED.

A very interesting start to the anime. This must be my first Space-themed anime, so looking forward to it!
Oct 3, 2021 3:10 PM

Apr 2015
I am digging the premise, not a lot yet but hopefully it will have a decent execution. I do like me some vampires and it seems that Irina looks to be up there as well. She's pretty and definitely love her personality so far and judging from the preview that might only become better as we progress.

I gotta say though, the amount of detail that went into Irina eating fish roe was unreal but was it really needed? Not going to beat around the bush though, that looked sexy af, so I don't really mind.
Oct 3, 2021 3:15 PM

Feb 2017
im in love with irina shes so cute!!!

first episode was great! looking forward to more of this anime

placeholder text
Oct 3, 2021 3:16 PM

May 2018
Kothra said:
while Soyuz has a larger upper stage on top of the core rocket

Wow, I checked up and they called different things with the same name - Vostok, Soyuz...not to mention Vozhod, Salut, Zenit etc.
Like I have misremembered those some time ago and I can't be bothered to do it right.
Anyway thanks for the info!
Oct 3, 2021 3:19 PM

Mar 2018
I love this solely based on the ridiculous premise. Communists learning a vampire girl to go to space? Fucking hilarious and genuinely interestnig. I don't know how funny this anime will continue to be, but I am going to cherish the moment when I realised what this anime was about.
Oct 3, 2021 3:59 PM
Apr 2021
this premise has so much potential
that said I don't think they established Lev's personality and character strongly enough before he was introduced to N44. He kinda feels a little too strongly like an audience insert rather than a real character, and that's probably gonna hurt down the track.
Oct 3, 2021 4:02 PM

Nov 2012
I ain't expect alot from this tbh, hell I expect to drop it within 3 episodes.

I hope w/e romance they undoubtedly try to force in this doesn't come off as that, forced.

So we have a Cold War space race, a Crest of the Star like dynamic between the two main leads and what I expect to be DITF tier romance subplot to come. With the typical racism and discrimination topics you could expect to come considering she's a vampire.
Oct 3, 2021 4:22 PM

Jun 2021
Getting ALI PROJECT to do the OP and Megumi Hayashibara to do the voice of the main girl; they are definitely going all-in on this project.

One thing I was little concerned going into this series was the animation, but this episode looked pretty solid. I know they use CG a lot, but it didn't look out of place and the dinning scene was animated to perfection.

The story is pretty straight forward up to this point. Feels like it has a lot of potential. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 3, 2021 4:24 PM
Dec 2017
ali project and matsuda yatsunori is a must watch indeed.

Oct 3, 2021 5:11 PM

Sep 2020
At first I thought Irina was going to be a cool and silent beauty but once she started talking I was pleasantly surprised by her numerous biting remarks.
Also, she reminds me a little of Demi-chan wa Kataritai's Hikari, dispelling vampire preconceptions and whatnot.
Oct 3, 2021 5:51 PM

Nov 2011
God damn the animation is fucking clean and I am a SIMP for Irina. Can't wait for more of this.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 3, 2021 6:10 PM

Jun 2019
Show itself is fine. I quite like Irina.

That OP, though. That part with the rocket staging, then the capsule separating, then the door opening and the coffin coming out, and then Irina just flinging out of the coffin absolutely killed me.

All in all, definitely something I'll at least watch a few more episodes of. I do like the Space Race setting, and the main characters seem pretty good.
Oct 3, 2021 6:18 PM

Jul 2017
The episode itself isnt that bad and the concept is fairly different enough to give the series a chance, but hearing an ALI PROJECT opening in 2021 is tragic. I get that it fits the gothic vibe of this series considering vampires are a part of this series in a unique manner, but ALI PROJECT's songs really get on my nerves for how annoying and over-the-top the vocals and general songs sound, whether its for an anime in the early 00s like Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom or Code Geass in the mid 00s, or for an anime nowadays in 2021. Can just never like their music.
Oct 3, 2021 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
an anime with an interesting proposal is these dogs were sad the way he died other than this anime until it's interesting.
Oct 3, 2021 7:17 PM

Jun 2019
Seems like it should be ok. It has the makings of an enjoyable feel-good show, but I don’t see it making that much of an impact. The essence of the situation is nothing we haven’t seen before. Boy is stuck in a situation where he has to be around a girl that not like him/males/humans. The animation could be a bit more lively in some parts too. All in all, barring any setbacks, I should be able to watch this to the end.
Oct 3, 2021 7:33 PM

Jan 2020
I liked this more than I expected. I'm a fan of the dynamics between the two so far and the premise with the space + vampires isn't one I've seen before

hopefully it won't go downhill

Oct 3, 2021 7:41 PM

Apr 2008
Using vampires so your propaganda can say the first human spaceflight was perfect is a very real feeling sort of absurd. I like that, but I'm not a fan of the romance this seems to be pushing. Also always get annoyed by sticking vampire on whatever set of traits you feel like. It's a good thing she can handle the sun given they're sending her into space, but you could as easily call her a long toothed elf as a vampire.
Oct 3, 2021 9:03 PM
Jun 2017
A pretty good foodservice.
Anyway, this has get me hooked up.
Oct 3, 2021 9:12 PM
Aug 2019
camera work, animation really good and ed give chill vibe like yuru camp
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pre_Yum - Oct 24, 2021

61 by Gvendoline »»
May 10, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2021

58 by Gvendoline »»
May 7, 8:01 AM

» A perspective from Soviet Union

Flank27 - Nov 21, 2023

14 by Flank27 »»
Dec 24, 2023 1:00 AM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Koshi_Inaba - Dec 18, 2021

112 by TheBiggestAm »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:56 PM

Poll: » Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2021

66 by TheBiggestAm »»
Nov 20, 2023 9:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.