Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 12 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2009 11:22 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not only a boring filler arc, but populated with worthless characters as well. God, that lady was so stupid.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 31, 2009 7:42 AM

Sep 2008
everybody was stupid in the story arc:P but i liked kircheis in action. That 5 on 1 fight and his marksmanship demonstration was pretty cool :P liked how
All in all it was better than the slow and predictable (although entertaining) first arc, except for the stupid flashbacks. Hated those flashbacks
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 13, 2010 12:17 PM
Jul 2008
So I was wrong on my final prediction but that is a good thing because otherwise the story would have been so terribly predictable.

A pretty good arc, clearly the best in this series so far.

Johanna and Keyserling are such mediocre people I had trouble feeling pity for either of them. Johanna is a worthless human being and Keyserling an absolute moron.
Basel was more interesting especially when he accused Kircheis and Reinhard of waging war for private profit because that is absolutely true (even though Kircheis denies it). Though the character is interesting, Basel is of course an absolute coward and a despicable criminal who, like most of these, tries to justify his crimes with weak rhetorics.

Keyserling could have at least aimed for the arm, the old fool. Kircheis was too weak to do what was necessary to save human lives and Reinhard would probably have shot her dead (which would have been criminal). Pretty messed up pair we have here.

Once more a strong homosexual undertone here between Kircheis and his blond master (lol at Kircheis seeing blond hair waving and gasping in pleasure!).
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Apr 20, 2010 2:09 AM

Sep 2008
kerlyenai said:

Once more a strong homosexual undertone here between Kircheis and his blond master (lol at Kircheis seeing blond hair waving and gasping in pleasure!).

I just hate it when people say that there's a yaoi undertone in the series. Just because people dont believe in having a best friend who can also be your only brother and your only trusted friend in the world does not mean something like that cant exist. There is no homosexual undertone in the series, its just your way of thinking that makes it seem so. People just have a sick mind nowadays. You cant even peck a random kids cheek in public and not be branded as a sexual offender these days
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 20, 2010 6:41 AM
Jul 2008
eyerok said:
kerlyenai said:

I just hate it when people say that there's a yaoi undertone in the series. Just because people dont believe in having a best friend who can also be your only brother and your only trusted friend in the world does not mean something like that cant exist. There is no homosexual undertone in the series, its just your way of thinking that makes it seem so. People just have a sick mind nowadays. You cant even peck a random kids cheek in public and not be branded as a sexual offender these days

Wow, talk about overreacting. I might be mistaken about "the homosexual undertone" but you might very well be mistaken too. Furthermore, I don't see how believing that there is more to Reinhard and Kircheis' relationship than strong friendship would be "having a sick mind". Homosexuals are not sexual offenders, and being a homosexual is not a crime, so your last sentence is really completely unrelated to anything I've said.

Human relations are often more complex than they appear at first. I might be seeing things that aren't there but you might very well be over simplifying. If I am right about there being a light homosexual trend in these two character's relationship, it does not make that relationship "sick" or impure or whatever. It just makes it a bit more complex and frankly quite plausible.
Apr 28, 2010 3:19 AM

Sep 2008
calling it homosexual does add a sexual angle to their bond/friendship, that's why I said that. But you're right, I kinda overdid my post. sorry for that
Jun 8, 2010 8:35 AM

Dec 2008
Already watched half of the Gaiden and while being enjoyable and having good dialogue and character interactions it lacks a bit in other areas such as plot.

It was kinda silly to send Reinhard in Kircheis alone in a mission considering how young they were.

It was even sillier to assign both of them as detectives, also that murder investigation was nothing but an excuse to criticise descrimination in the Empire regarding people with genetic problems such as being colorblind, in this case.

In the third arc they put Kircheis doing another crime investigation once again and it eneded up being worse than the previous arc.

I'm not considering dropping it though, because I've known beforehand that the first half of the Gaiden wasn't great and that it looked more like I was watching a third-rate anime than LoGH. I'm pretty hyped for the second half of the Gaiden, since that's when it's going to pick up and be almost as good as the 110 episode OVA.
Jun 22, 2010 2:30 PM

May 2010
Argh, this arc and the one before is really boring. The first was good.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 4, 2010 1:11 PM

Feb 2010
I see opinions are split about this arc. I personally really enjoyed it. I feel like Kircheis, I can somehow understand both sides very good. If I was in a similar situation I wish/hope that I could act like Keyserling(in the end)/Reinhard but I don't know if I wouldn't act like Kircheis/Keyserling(3 years ago)/Johanna in the end...
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 23, 2010 8:57 AM

Jun 2009
I think the problem is that everyone seems to think about the situation between Keyserling and Johaana in a logical fashion, when it clearly wasn't meant to be looked at in that situation. Their actions were meant to illogical, I guess showing that love can even conquer someones path through life if they let it and actually make someones life worse as a result. I'm pretty sure that was the point.

As far as the homosexual undertone between Reinhard and Kircheis, sometimes I get that feeling myself actually. But, at the same time I've always thought that one of the main reasons Kircheis is so devoted to him is because of his love for Anne Rose and the fact that she wishes for him to watch out for her brother.

Then again, even if they were gay for each other I wouldn't care. That doesn't change the fact that they are great, well developed characters.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 23, 2010 1:45 PM

Jan 2008
To be honest I think the gay thing is just the projection of some viewers. There's nothing sexual about the two characters' relationship ever indicated in the show, it's simple brotherly love but 21st century kids have to add gayness into everything. Yes they love each other as brothers do, but no they don't want to stick their penises into each other. It's not a strange concept peeps!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 6, 2011 6:39 AM

Apr 2009
Could he have shot her on the shoulders to disable her perhaps? Or rush her and knock her unconscious? Ughhh. I must have expected too much from this arc since I like Kircheis as a character but it was meh for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 27, 2011 8:23 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
To be honest I think the gay thing is just the projection of some viewers. There's nothing sexual about the two characters' relationship ever indicated in the show, it's simple brotherly love but 21st century kids have to add gayness into everything. Yes they love each other as brothers do, but no they don't want to stick their penises into each other. It's not a strange concept peeps!

lol that cracked me up..
Jun 18, 2011 4:09 PM
Jul 2008
Beatnik said:

Lol, the word homosexual does get some people really flustered. I never said there was anything physical in their relationship and only talked about undertones (strong though they may be). Things aren't always as simplistic as some people may hope and the truth isn't always pleasant but disdainful denial of a hypothesis is never the right option.
Jun 19, 2011 4:19 AM

Jan 2008
kerlyenai said:
Things aren't always as simplistic as some people may hope and the truth isn't always pleasant but disdainful denial of a hypothesis is never the right option.

Yeah but everything you just said can be applied to people who see a homosexual undertone in the franchise. I could be all PC and just say "yeah you can take anything you want from the show" but I'm not going to do that because I just don't see any hard evidence shown in the show that proves there's a sexual undertone between the two characters AT ALL. Love = yes, unrequited sexual yearning = no. They are exclusive emotions believe it or not, one does not have to follow the other.

Believe me, if I saw it I'd have no problem with it, but I don't, so I have a problem with people seeing something I cant see, but more important than that it trivialises the relationship between the two characters, which I see as an archaic yet complex brotherly love that we don't see anymore in western society because it's automatically assumed as homosexuality and shunned.

You know how in anime you typically get scenes between two males and how they're 'kyodai' or 'nakama'? You would never see that kind of frank exhibition of emotion in a western show or animation, and so I'm sure to a lot of western viewers of LotGH, Kircheis and Reinhard's relationship is too 'close' to be merely friendship.

Just my thoughts on the ongoing debate about this topic anyway.
Jul 17, 2011 6:07 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
but more important than that it trivialises the relationship between the two characters, which I see as an archaic yet complex brotherly love that we don't see anymore in western society because it's automatically assumed as homosexuality and shunned.

I completely agree. Relationships and how we see them has changed a lot in modern times. One example is how some Islamic literature is now viewed in some quarters as having strong homosexual themes- Saadi Sheraazi is a en excellent example (the same guy Oshii quoted in the second GitS movie...I think it was the donkey quote).

Another example is a recent theory that bisexuality was very common in the edo period, and in fact an important part of the bushido code!!

I suppose Dr Yoshiki Tanaka is an old fashioned sort with an archaic way of thinking.
Feb 13, 2012 4:58 PM

May 2009
kerlyenai said:

This issue of BL undertones has been bothering me for days, so I'll just put in my two cents and try not to rant.

First, nobody "gasped in pleasure". Yes, Reinhard's beautiful hair waving and everything going in slow-motion as he descended the stairs was Kircheis's view of Reinhard. In his eyes, Reinhard is a brilliant existence, one that he's so happy to be able to stay close to. It's testament that not only was he Reinhard's friend to win brownie points from Annerose - whom he obviously loves - but he truly loves Reinhard. And Reinhard, with his sister taken away from him and with only an unreliable father left, relies on Kircheis to keep himself together. Their bond is the most precious thing Reinhard has besides his sister.

I'm a BL fan girl, so it's probably hypocritical coming from me - I ship all sorts of crazy things after all, I can't ever deny that - but really, like Beatnik says, claiming there are BL undertones trivialises their friendship. It cheapens it to a massive degree, because what they have transcends stupid romantic, gay-for-each-other love.

Isn't it a million times more beautiful that they're willing to die for each other because they really love each other rather than because they have the hots for each other?

I will say this, though. I'm convinced Reinhard was never able to love anyone the way he loved Kircheis. (Then again he was too worried about seizing the universe to care for love.) In Kircheis he found a brother and a friend and the most loyal confidant. Does that mean he was gay for Kircheis? I really doubt it.

I've been seeing this about Reuenthal and Mittermeyer as well. Seriously, why ruin something so beautiful by adding an unnecessary element to it? :/

I ended up ranting anyway, but this really bothers me for some reason. And yes, I know everyone's entitled to their own opinions and whatnot, but sigh, their relationship is too beautiful to mess with.
Oct 16, 2012 8:35 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe I'm just a blind LOGH fanboy, but I really liked this arc.
May 7, 2013 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
I really liked how this arc showed (Even though it's quite obviously from the 110 OVA series, and his general presence with Reinhard) that Kircheis cannot be separated from Reinhard, that his Raison d'être is to be by Reinhard's side and guide/protect him as much as possible for Reinhard to achieve his dreams. That in itself is Kircheis' dream.

I don't know if everyone missed that, or if it was just too obvious to be impactful, but that had an effect on me.
Kircheis has found his Raison d'être, and cannot even fathom any other means of living. So many people do not have that pleasure.

I also thought that the cross between both Kircheis and the Older protagonist (I forgot his name) added a nice psychological touch to Kircheis' character and that if what he believes is if their actions are justifiable or narcissistic.
In ways, it is both.
He feels that Reinhard can lead the people to a better society and government, as well as the selfish reason of doing all of this to "Save Reinhard's sister", which was the original reason.
I'm only up to episode 30 in the 110 OVA series as of this post, so what I say may come to fruition, or even more things may happen (Which I'm sure they will).

I enjoyed this arc for those discoveries alone. I always enjoy productions that make the characters realize something, especially when it has a depth of magnitude on the character who it is being inflicted upon.
Also, I've seen many a more boring arc on other shows (Despite my dislike for episodic detective series, or more like dislike cop dramas).

-----

To comment on the homosexuality point, I understand where you can get that idea, especially when Reinhard twiddles Kircheis' hair. That may have been a bit much.

But I do think it is extremely odd when people think that just because two men are as close as arms length that it is considered gay, or an undertone. Such as the relationship in Kids on the Slope (Despite it being a Josei, but that doesn't mean all Josei has Yaoi in it. I don't know what I'm talking about here, so please correct if I'm wrong, but I think manga containing Yaoi is something like Shoujo-Ai, or something similar?), Sentarou and Karou have a very close relationship that has an extreme power to it, such as realizing dreams and relaying feelings, together. Just because a man should relay his feelings to the person he loves, such as his wife or girlfriend, does not mean that a best friend cannot share that same love. Such as brothers. I'm as close to my brother as Kircheis and Reinhard (minus the hair twirling part.), and I'm only attracted to women.

People can choose to be homosexual, but just because you're close to a man does not mean that your are.

And to comment on the last scene, Athena explained it well, the hair fluttering was basically a metaphorical way of representing the magnitude of importance he has to Kircheis, and that Reinhard is his Raison d'être, it solidifies that fact even more.
He even mentioned that the gasp was an innate reaction to the nostalgia of seeing Reinhard. That is not homosexual, it's profound.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
KuandohanMay 7, 2013 9:26 PM
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Oct 11, 2013 4:31 PM

Nov 2009
Well . . . That was a rather unexpected, yet fitting end. Anyways, look forward now to seeing the next "prequel" side stories, hopefully they will have another arc like the main one from this series, not ready to let go of LoGH just yet.
Jul 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Aug 2010
I actually enjoyed this arc. It was nice to see Kircheis in action
Aug 15, 2014 9:00 AM

Sep 2012
Meh arc, seriously, what a waste of time.
Nov 13, 2014 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
Not that intreting arc, but it is always nice to see Kircheis fight like badass.

And this was last Gaiden episode (in this new chronological order), so I guess I have now seen LOGH fully unless you count Golden Wings (but apparently that is more like retelling). Now off to wait for that new LOGH anime that is supposed to come soonish?
Dec 13, 2014 12:59 PM

May 2012
Another pretty interesting episode, quite decent development as well! Let's see what's next!
Jan 3, 2015 3:30 PM

Jul 2011
Reinhard and Kircheis are just really close friends. And Kircheis is Reinhard's confidant. Yeah, he twiddles his hair, so what? That's like patting someone's head in any other case. They have a very deep friendship. It's purely platonic. (It's easier to understand if you have actually experienced a strong platonic relationship or something of the sort.)

Anyways, the characters this time around were annoying. Of course they were illogical, but I do feel like this arc was meant to draw parallels and provoke thought about the relationship of Kircheis with the Musel siblings. I had to laugh when Kircheis saw Reinhard get off the plane though, that long flowing golden hair. XD
Oct 12, 2016 10:52 AM

Jun 2016
This was a pretty weak arc, the only thing going for it was that it's a balm for people (like me) who keep sighing "If only Kircheis were here.." He definitely is one of the most irreproachable characters in the series (along with Mittermeyer, I think. Hooray for commoner Imperial Admirals!), and it was fascinating to get a closer look at who he really is.

The fights were cool, but the plot and characters were terrible. Keyserling doing a full 180 on his steadfast loyalty for his love and actually shooting her - I'm having a hard time buying that. I understand that love can turn to hate in the flick of a switch, but it wasn't hate that made him shoot her. He shot her out of a sense of civic duty that apparently Kircheis had managed to suddenly inspire in him. It doesn't work that way! He could testify and that would be good enough to dig further and uncover more evidence! (Or has been pointed out before, she could be shot non-lethally. Kircheis, at least, should have thought of that.)

On the platonic vs. sexual relationship debate: Spending a whole lot of time with guys as hot as Reinhard or Kircheis would bring out the latent bisexual in anyone. I remember one of the FPA guys commenting how friggin' handsome Kircheis was in the main series. Was it Julian? Anyway, I think Reinhard or Kircheis engaging in some light homoeroticism is completely natural. Then there's the army stereotype on top of that.. but it's obvious that it's just a small part of their immensely strong bond, if it's there at all.
Nov 25, 2016 8:26 PM

Mar 2016
I guess a significance of this arc would involve Kircheis reevaluating his relationship with Annerose, or at least that's what I got from it. Maybe it would also be with Reinhard when it comes to Kircheis' loyalty towards him, or even when it comes to that kind of a relationship if they swing that way

That was a damn well choreographed action scene in the middle though; it would have been nice to see more of that kind of animation
Arachnophobic said:

The fights were cool, but the plot and characters were terrible. Keyserling doing a full 180 on his steadfast loyalty for his love and actually shooting her - I'm having a hard time buying that. I understand that love can turn to hate in the flick of a switch, but it wasn't hate that made him shoot her. He shot her out of a sense of civic duty that apparently Kircheis had managed to suddenly inspire in him. It doesn't work that way! He could testify and that would be good enough to dig further and uncover more evidence!
It might have been a kneejerk reaction based on his desire to right a wrong; he still probably loved her when he shot her. It's already been mentioned that his testimony might not mean much when it'd be considered a product of envy
(Or has been pointed out before, she could be shot non-lethally. Kircheis, at least, should have thought of that.)
Kircheis is a great shot but Keyserling might not have been, and it's probable that shooting someone that old would probably lead to death in any case
Aure0linNov 25, 2016 8:38 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Apr 18, 2019 4:03 AM

Aug 2017
Once again, some unneseccary recap of the previous episode. Why?
Jul 20, 2019 2:41 PM

Feb 2017
Good on Keyserling taking back his pride and defending his own name in spite of killing Johanna.
Sep 7, 2019 2:58 AM

May 2016
Weakest arc but since it was mostly for Kircheis progress I buy it.

for those who don't know this is the last Arc of the gaiden series its the 9th and this should be watched at last.
Dec 30, 2019 4:47 AM

Jul 2019
Where can i download this seies?
Jan 19, 2020 3:32 PM

Nov 2016
Raizel said:
Weakest arc but since it was mostly for Kircheis progress I buy it.

for those who don't know this is the last Arc of the gaiden series its the 9th and this should be watched at last.

I also thought it was the weakest arc, nonetheless enjoyed it. The characterisation and themes were pretty interesting. Human relationships and sense of morality don't always align with each other.

And lol, my folder has it also marked as last story and yet I still went with the release order.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 20, 2020 12:57 AM

May 2016
FMmatron said:

I also thought it was the weakest arc, nonetheless enjoyed it. The characterisation and themes were pretty interesting. Human relationships and sense of morality don't always align with each other.

And lol, my folder has it also marked as last story and yet I still went with the release order.
lmao well I had to do a lot of research to find the correct order.
Oct 14, 2020 1:55 PM

Aug 2012
I actually liked this arc weirdly enough. Felt like Master Keaton or something but Kircheis instead. Also it was nice for him to get his own little arc. With the way I watched these two Gaiden OVAs via the chronological order this ended up as the final part before the Main OVA series (which I've already seen) and this mystery arc was a nice change of pace even if it is a slightly strange place for me to stop my LOGH marathon.

So yeah I'm done, all 110 episodes, 3 Movies and now the two Gaiden OVA series totaling another 52 episodes. I enjoyed it but the Gaiden OVAs overall pale in comparison to the first 2 films and main OVA series, no contest. But I did enjoy this first Gaiden OVA series a hell of alot more than the second one, much stronger stories in this half and it felt more like LOGH than not which again comparatively the second Gaiden series doesn't manage to do.

8/10 for this entry of the Gaiden stories.
BlaizeVOct 14, 2020 1:58 PM
Mar 1, 2021 1:42 PM

Feb 2012
A message to be told here of the things commanders use to control their soldies. Basel's a douche, Johanna's dumb, but Michael von Keyserling was at last free from his sentimentality brought justice when Kircheis was tied up by his own lack of conviction.

Now onto Overture to a New War

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 30, 2023 2:10 AM

Jul 2017
For me, a pretty good arc
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 17 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

16 by Laplace_kun »»
Apr 8, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 23 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 30, 2009

25 by bucciest »»
Dec 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 21 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

18 by Ten »»
Oct 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 20 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 29, 2009

22 by Ten »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:10 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes: A Hundred Billion Stars; A Hundred Billion Lights Episode 11 Discussion

Beatnik - Sep 28, 2009

15 by Neemesis_2 »»
Mar 30, 2023 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.