Forum Settings
Forums

do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

New
Apr 26, 4:57 AM

Jan 2009
i say more emotional anime like getting hype

if i want to be intelligent i rather consume proper educational materials

you can think of this poll as a spectrum like 60% emotional content while 40% intelligent content so the choice here is more emotional

how about you?
degApr 26, 5:48 AM
Apr 26, 4:58 AM

Feb 2020
"do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?"

Definitely emotional.
Apr 26, 5:01 AM

Mar 2023
I would like to see more anime that is a mixture of both of them.
Apr 26, 5:06 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Spunkert
I would like to see more anime that is a mixture of both of them.
@Spunkert both is such a greedy and easiest answer though
Apr 26, 5:08 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to deg
@Spunkert both is such a greedy and easiest answer though
@deg Well that's my preference. And nothing is gonna change my view on that.
Apr 26, 5:20 AM

Jun 2019
I'd say all my top favorites are a mixture of both - some almost exclusively on the more thought-provoking side, some almost exclusively on the more emotional side, some more mixed 50-50 down the middle. But I don't think I'd appreciate anime as a medium as a whole as much if it were just exclusively limited to one or the other.

Giving me new and interesting things to think about, as well as new and interesting ways to look at and examine things I already know about and am aware of, or, alternatively, getting me to feel deeply - these sum up the reasons I watch.

Also, depending on your interests and personality, thought-provoking concepts actualized and explored can make a person very emotional and moved. I know this to be true.
WatchTillTandavaApr 26, 6:03 AM
Apr 26, 5:33 AM

Feb 2024
70/30 for me, and emotional part must include decent art style and music, otherwise books simply win by far.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 26, 5:41 AM

Mar 2021
Emotions don't make sense and aren't effective without intellegence so yeah, intellegence.

Apr 26, 5:43 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to meyve
Emotions don't make sense and aren't effective without intellegence so yeah, intellegence.
@meyve well think of it as a spectrum like @LoveYourEyes did when he said 70/30 splits
Apr 26, 5:47 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to deg
@meyve well think of it as a spectrum like @LoveYourEyes did when he said 70/30 splits
@deg then intelligence should be at least between %55-75 of it. To be invested in a fiction there has to be good story, characters and those definitely requires intellegence. The emotional aspect comes after and with that imo.
meyveApr 26, 11:10 AM

Apr 26, 6:01 AM

Sep 2016
There are plenty of emotional Anime already, but I rarely get to see intelligent Anime (whatever that actually means), so I want more intelligent ones.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 26, 6:02 AM

Apr 2019
Emotion without intelligence is kitsch.
Intelligence without emotion is artsy fartsy.

If I had to choose at the barrel of a gun, I'd probably prefer kitsch. I wouldn't enjoy it, though.

Apr 26, 6:03 AM

Mar 2024
For starters, your question is weird, what do you mean by smart?
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 26, 6:04 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Sorachin
For starters, your question is weird, what do you mean by smart?
@Sorachin thats up to you like being logical or have no plot holes and asspulls as haters likes to call them

suspension of disbelief means more emotional importance imo
Apr 26, 6:08 AM

Jul 2023
Def intelligent for me, going off on monologues about literally anything in philosophical ways
Apr 26, 6:19 AM

Mar 2024
Reply to deg
@Sorachin thats up to you like being logical or have no plot holes and asspulls as haters likes to call them

suspension of disbelief means more emotional importance imo
@deg I figured that answer. I'm not going to waste my time with you debating what is intelligent anime, I'll pretend you mean serious, no-nonsense, complex, etc. anime. Answering your question, I'd say I prefer good anime; I think it's irrelevant to judge whether a certain anime is more emotional or more “intelligent”.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 26, 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Sorachin
@deg I figured that answer. I'm not going to waste my time with you debating what is intelligent anime, I'll pretend you mean serious, no-nonsense, complex, etc. anime. Answering your question, I'd say I prefer good anime; I think it's irrelevant to judge whether a certain anime is more emotional or more “intelligent”.
@Sorachin like i said its up to you to define them since its a personal question so my own definition does not matter here
Apr 26, 6:52 AM

Dec 2015
I wouldn't mind having both mixed.

Although, there's quite alot of emotional animes and it isn't hard to find them, while for anything related to education it isn't that common or at least it is hard for me to think of more than one-few titles. So in the end I guess more intelligent/educational anime would be a better option.
Apr 26, 7:29 AM

Apr 2012
Both. Those two things do not contradict one another in any way.
Apr 26, 7:33 AM
Aug 2018
I prefer more emotional anime.

If it includes drama, at least make it sensible.
Apr 26, 7:36 AM

Nov 2019

Yes more intellegent anime is needed, to be honest fuck emotional anime, dont care. We already have enough of that romance shit... I need to see some dark ass protagonists!
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Apr 26, 7:41 AM

Aug 2016
I'm not sure what standard is being used here, what is an emotional anime and what is an intelligent anime exactly? You mean an anime that values emotions over making logical sense versus an anime that's more worried about being grounded and realistic over being too dramatic?
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 26, 8:48 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to -Ryu
I'm not sure what standard is being used here, what is an emotional anime and what is an intelligent anime exactly? You mean an anime that values emotions over making logical sense versus an anime that's more worried about being grounded and realistic over being too dramatic?
-Ryu said:
I'm not sure what standard is being used here, what is an emotional anime and what is an intelligent anime exactly?

I second this. I'm interested in what people mean by this. Can someone explain this to me? With examples, hopefully?

I don't think I've ever pointed at an anime and thought, "that is an intelligent anime, not very emotional."

And to me, the opposite of "intelligent" is not "emotional," it's "dumb." Are some people really saying "emotional" equals "dumb?"
Apr 26, 9:30 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to perseii
-Ryu said:
I'm not sure what standard is being used here, what is an emotional anime and what is an intelligent anime exactly?

I second this. I'm interested in what people mean by this. Can someone explain this to me? With examples, hopefully?

I don't think I've ever pointed at an anime and thought, "that is an intelligent anime, not very emotional."

And to me, the opposite of "intelligent" is not "emotional," it's "dumb." Are some people really saying "emotional" equals "dumb?"
@perseii its up to personal interpretation but for me personally emotional anime makes me feel like feeling hype while intelligent anime makes me think aka thought provoking @-Ryu

an example of hype emotional anime for me is gurren lagann the story is not that thought provoking but pure hype

an intelligent or thought provoking anime i can think of is death note being its logical and suspense
degApr 26, 10:32 AM
Apr 26, 9:55 AM

Oct 2019
I think both are important and can lead to greatness.

But ultimately, I think the emotion is a little more important to me.

That said, i think more often not these two go hand in hand.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 26, 10:14 AM

May 2019
intelligent~

well-written stories that don't rely purely on emotions are just more fun to watch imo
Apr 26, 10:19 AM

Oct 2010
I just want shows to properly explain why mc has infinite mana
Apr 26, 10:36 AM

Dec 2018
sometimes, i like feeling things and have some occasional cathartic sessions, so definitely emotional
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Apr 26, 10:36 AM

Aug 2010
Intelligent anime can be fun, but it's the emotion an anime gives that always sticks to me so I pick more emotional.
Apr 26, 11:02 AM

May 2021
Whichever one brings more big booba.
Echidna best waifu :D
Apr 26, 11:05 AM

May 2018
if anything I want more creative anime... both emotional and intelligent are fine
DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
Apr 26, 12:06 PM

Sep 2018
I enjoy both extremes, but I'll vote intelligent because:

1) they're inherently harder to make
2) they're less incentivized, since something well written but with low stakes will never be as popular as "My mom was killed by the enemy in the first episode, I'll have my revenge!!!"
Apr 26, 12:09 PM
Feb 2014
Why not both? I think an anime having both is ideal.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 26, 12:48 PM

Nov 2014
If the story elicits emotion, then there's presumably some intelligence involved in the writing. More emotional subtlety would be appreciated, such as more body language and unspoken feelings, and less yelling.
Apr 26, 1:05 PM

Mar 2008
These things dont contradict eachother. Something can be intelligent and emotional.
Apr 26, 1:14 PM

Nov 2017
More intelligent. I get bored quickly if the story is more emotional than intelligent.
Apr 26, 1:17 PM

Dec 2017
If more "Intelligence" means more realism from our world, then I would like to have pure emotional content. Anime needs more crazier stuff with more cute n hot waifus.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Apr 26, 1:30 PM
Aug 2020
Too many anime are too cautious and always play it safe. In the end, they are neither clever nor emotionally appealing. I really wish there was a season with more risks.
We all like well-written romance, but all the modern MCs are completely incapable of showing romantic feelings.
I think Freeze is a modern anime that has managed to be both sophisticated and emotionally engaging. I think all really outstanding anime manage to fulfil both points.

Violet Evergarden and Kusuriya no Hitorigoto are probably also positive examples where both work together.
BandulfApr 26, 1:37 PM
Apr 26, 2:00 PM

Aug 2016
ironically, intelligent anime are usually the most emotional
:v
Apr 26, 2:13 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to deg
@perseii its up to personal interpretation but for me personally emotional anime makes me feel like feeling hype while intelligent anime makes me think aka thought provoking @-Ryu

an example of hype emotional anime for me is gurren lagann the story is not that thought provoking but pure hype

an intelligent or thought provoking anime i can think of is death note being its logical and suspense
deg said:

OK, so "intelligent" here sounds like "complex story and heavy themes."

In that sense, I would like more "intelligent" anime, because I don't think we get many of those these days. More variety is always welcome.
Apr 26, 2:19 PM

Aug 2016
I want pseudo-intelligent anime, the type of anime that seem intelligent to dumb people like me, but in fact they aren't.
Apr 27, 2:09 AM

Jan 2023
Imo a good anime is decent at both transmitting emotions and making me think (at least a little bit), so I'm at 50/50 I guess :)
Apr 27, 2:25 AM

Mar 2012
I prefer emotional, intelligent are a hit or a miss, sometimes they are just way too complicated and not enjoyable.
May 1, 2:47 AM

Nov 2019
emotional yes, intelligent maybe not I don't want to get brainfog figuring out the previous episodes themes and conjectures
May 3, 12:39 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to APolygons2

APolygons2 said:

Same and agreed, but I'm somewhat leaning more on the intelligent side of importance. Pretty much as long as both are generally well done and such.
May 3, 12:41 PM

Feb 2021
More emotional for me. I like such stories so much!
May 3, 12:42 PM
Dec 2021
I don’t know. I guess it depends how I’m feeling in that particular moment. Right now probably intelligent anime but if I’m feeling down and need a cry definitely emotional.

May 3, 2:06 PM
Nov 2023
The more intelligent an anime is the more emotional it will be. They aren't separate. With smarter characters, more thought out plot, better fleshed out themes, smarter writing, fleshed out world and characters; the better and more intelligent the writing, the more I care about the characters and the more impact the story has.
May 3, 9:00 PM
Jan 2024
none, none is good. I watch anime that make the least sense. Those animes entertain me more these days.
May 5, 11:34 AM

Jul 2013
Why not both, dear OP? You can actually have both...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you like weak maids or strong maids?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

6 by Dizzy-san »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best part of Fate Franchise?

Diamtheroad - Yesterday

28 by Guilmon1 »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 3 hours ago

9 by KryzakamiHrybami »»
17 minutes ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - 3 hours ago

11 by Coaghim »»
21 minutes ago

» HELP ME FIND THIS ANIME!!!

nakurwiamnleb - 6 hours ago

6 by perseii »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.