Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any specific ways that you handle your plan to watch list?

New
Nov 25, 2022 11:11 AM

Aug 2019
For example, do you limit the amount of animes that you have in your PTW list? I know when I see lists with hundreds of entries it looks so overwhelming and I would not want to put myself in that position. It's too much pressure to watch it all. Having more than twenty anime series on my own list was already enough, so now I limit myself to having less than that and will only add on a series if I really want to remember it for later OR I've started a series so that leaves a new space for me to fill in with another.

Also, there are some upcoming releases that I don't add to my PTW list, because I know I will watch them out when they come out and don't need to mark them on there. Are you contrary like that?
Nov 25, 2022 11:15 AM

Feb 2020
Not really. I just randomly pick a new anime.
Nov 25, 2022 11:16 AM
Jul 2022
I simply add anything that looks interesting to my plan to watch and completely forget about it a couple minutes later. I don't really use it, its just there. What I watch/read is largely just determined through randomness and spontaneity.
Nov 25, 2022 11:17 AM
Apr 2022
nah i dont really have a limit i have 73 anime in my PTW section and i dont see it stopping anytime soon cuz most of the time if i a new anime gets announced that i find interesting i just put it in my PTW with no second thought
Nov 25, 2022 11:26 AM

Mar 2017
I don't handle it well, I think there's a decent chance that I die before watching all my PTW anime.
Nov 25, 2022 11:31 AM

Oct 2018
My plan-to-watch list is downloaded in my PC, so I force myself to watch them or I'll not have space in my HD.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Nov 25, 2022 11:35 AM

Aug 2019
Well, my ptw mostly contains the animes that are yet to be released. So, the list'll get shortened eventually cause I'll watch them anyways

Nov 25, 2022 11:45 AM

Jul 2021
I handle it with disgust, I add stuff there regularly, but I don't actually plan to watch most of those.
Nov 25, 2022 1:22 PM

Aug 2016
Most if not all are not yet aired and I limit to 100
Nov 25, 2022 1:31 PM

Feb 2022
At one point I had 600 or so things on PTW but never found myself watching them so I deleted everything and just use it for movies now. It feels like less of a commitment plus I usually feel like watching a movie or two a month so I actually go through them.
Nov 25, 2022 1:34 PM

Jun 2017
My PTW is huge and has pretty much everything i see that seemed mildly interesting, my on hold list is also huge. So I got a little creative with my system.

First, i flip a coin. Heads, i pick from On Hold, Tails i pick PTW.

Then i use a random number generator and pick a number between 1 and 27. If i get 1, i pick something from the list that starts with A, 2 b, 3 c, etc. 27 is for series that start with a number or symbol or anything that's not a letter.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Nov 25, 2022 1:54 PM

Jul 2021
On Sunday I try to watch a movie, from Monday to Saturday I watch series. If a movie and a series are from the same franchise I try to plan to finish them on the same week.

That's all the managing I care to do, with exception of this late November and December that I'm re-watching my favorites (Wolf's Rain now) and a Chainsaw.
Nov 25, 2022 2:08 PM

Jul 2021
My ptw list contains what I would like to watch and what I will watch when it comes out, I don't put a limit on the amount of anime I put in there. It doesn't feel like a commitment because I don't pressure myself to try and clear it or keep the numbers down.
Nov 25, 2022 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
I just keep my ptw list to 20 and pick one I am in the mood for.
I see no need to have hundreds on ptw list.
Nov 25, 2022 2:14 PM

May 2020
i have over 400 and i just ask a person i text and tell them to pick me 3-5 numbers between 1-400 and thats it. No excuses
Nov 25, 2022 2:51 PM

Apr 2008
I use the priority options...High ones are ones I know I will like and for sure watch, medium ones are ones that I have vetted and moved them up from Low priority after watching a few episodes of and it looked like something I might enjoy. Lower ones are series that have not yet aired and look like series that are just ok. I haven't tried watching them yet to see if I will like them to move them up to medium priority yet.

I go through my lists every few years to try and shorten it. Meaning if it is something with a lower priority setting and I know I might not like it I try and watch a few episodes of it to see if I want to keep it on my list. If I don't like it, I drop it. If it is something that I might be interested in watching I move the priority up to medium.

I watch what I am in the mood for but will try to go for shorter series first to make my PTW list smaller in a faster amount of time. I also try to watch at least a couple of finished airing series off of my PTW list along with the seasonals I am watching as they air.

I don't have multiple of the same anime series on my PTW list...to keep it more manageable...like I haven't been caught up with My Hero Academia yet...so I only have the 5th season on my PTW list...not the 5th and 6th season. I will complete the 5th season and then add the 6th season to my PTW list once the 5th season is off of there.
SevenNov 25, 2022 2:56 PM
Nov 25, 2022 2:52 PM

Sep 2021
I've limited myself to about 100 in my plan to watch list, I'd genuinely feel overwhelmed if I had hundreds of shows in that list. I also generally don't put sequels in the list, but I do keep track of them elsewhere! I try to make sure that only stuff I'd actually want to watch is there, as well as upcoming anime I'm really excited for- so I'll get notified about them.

As far as choosing something, I like to have a more 'calm' anime (usually iyashikei) that I'll watch in between an 'intense' anime (drama for example), so it's pretty easy to pick something as I alternate between them. I also sometimes like to watch a movie in between series to get a little breather. Other than that, though, I don't have anything really planned out for how I watch, just whatever I feel like in the moment works for me.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

Nov 25, 2022 3:07 PM

Jan 2020
It's only a pressure if you make it like you have to watch the anime that you put on PTW. Just put any anime you find interesting on PTW and don't try to think too hard about the numbers instead just add them more. It won't bother you for a lifetime infact you'll forget it because it won't effect your lifestyle and because of that, it's easy to forget how many interesting anime you added from your PTW. Only when you have no more anime to watch you'll remember that you have some interesting anime to watch that you saved on your PTW list. I don't even remember how many anime i put on my PTW list but now it's down to 112.

Nov 25, 2022 3:27 PM

May 2021
Forgot about it forever and then notice it exists then forget about it again
Inhales oxygen
Nov 25, 2022 4:43 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I rarely use PTW anyway so I just wing it and watch PTW whenever I can.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 25, 2022 5:20 PM
Jun 2021
bucciest said:
For example, do you limit the amount of animes that you have in your PTW list? I know when I see lists with hundreds of entries it looks so overwhelming and I would not want to put myself in that position. It's too much pressure to watch it all. Having more than twenty anime series on my own list was already enough, so now I limit myself to having less than that and will only add on a series if I really want to remember it for later OR I've started a series so that leaves a new space for me to fill in with another.

Also, there are some upcoming releases that I don't add to my PTW list, because I know I will watch them out when they come out and don't need to mark them on there. Are you contrary like that?

I flip-flop between more lighthearted and more dramatic stories. Other than that, no real rules exist. The lighter series are palate cleansers for the darker stuff.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Nov 25, 2022 5:24 PM

Jul 2019
There's no pressure if you just don't think about it and watch whatever is on your watchlist. Of course, occasionally go back and randomly pick one. Don't stress about it. I interpret plan to watch as something I leisurely consume and take my time with it. That's why you stack tons of shows on it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 25, 2022 5:29 PM

Mar 2022
Basically I've started using MAL because I wanted to make a PTW list, lol.
Generally speaking I run through the list, or even check some other random stuff and trailers until it clicks and I feel like watching something specific.

I start off with things I know I want to watch as in: new season or whatever I was watching before or a new show that I wait for until the season is complete.
I also add anything of various curiosity judging from the trailers, random recommendations or series descriptions that I come across.
And finally I add some stuff that I probably wanted to watch somewhere in the past and forgot about at some point.

I believe overthinking this makes no sense, so pick whatever genre\topic hits your mood better and watch it.
Nov 25, 2022 5:52 PM

Oct 2011
I'm actually in the process of deleting almost everything in my PTW because it does seem like too much to have in there. I had over 500 and now in the 300s since it takes sometime to go and delete every single one. I'm keeping the upcoming ones which aren't out yet since that sort of thing makes sense to keep in there for the ones I want to watch.

I used to pick random ones from my ptw but lately I'd rather pick certain types of anime I actually might be interested in, for example, I've been checking out anime in my interest stacks instead.
Nov 25, 2022 9:47 PM

Sep 2019
DOnt do anything in particular, just add anything that catches my eye. Though lately my PTW has goten huge from my watch speed bieng severely reduced these past 2 months

I do have a process on how I pick which one to watch next however, keeps me from suffering burnout of any single genre
Nov 26, 2022 8:18 AM

Oct 2019
I don't even remember what's on my list right now. Sometimes I hear about an anime and add it to the list only to forget about it.
Nov 26, 2022 11:23 AM

May 2022
I usually try to watch something serious->enjoyable just so I don't burn out. Usually take breaks if the show was heavy.
Nov 26, 2022 11:31 AM

Jul 2010
i put tons of them on ptw and then watch something that isn't on the list lol
Nov 26, 2022 3:23 PM

Jul 2016
Hey, just thanks. I randomly saw this and it reminded me that I have such a graveyard of wanted to watch shows that imported to this site, but those are from when I was just getting into anime over a decade ago. Now that I look at them and see nothing that catches my attention so it should all get cleaned to actually start using this PTW feature.
Nov 26, 2022 3:54 PM

Sep 2018
Nahh I just rondomly add everything what I find interesting and then I end up with 120+ ptw -__-
This number is getting higher. I should probably limit it
Nov 26, 2022 4:11 PM

Dec 2019
No, I don't limit it because I do intend on completing a good amount of what this medium has to offer, so I just add at random regardless of quality or anything else. This month I finally completed 100 out of the 3000 anime on my ptw list.
Nov 26, 2022 4:19 PM

Jan 2015
I just put anything in there if it looks remotely interesting. If I'm looking for an anime/manga to watch and don't know what I'm looking for, I'll just scroll through it.
Nov 26, 2022 4:38 PM
Jul 2018
I even don't know for sure what's there and what not. I don't know either what I will eat for lunch tomorrow or where I will celebrate New Year and you expect me to have a plan for my ptw-list.
Nov 26, 2022 9:05 PM

Aug 2010
Honestly, I always make elaborate plans on how to tackle my list, and then almost always immediately ditch those plans.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 26, 2022 9:51 PM

Mar 2021
Depends on my mood
If I feel like watching that type of anime, then I will watch it or else it shall stay in ptw limbo before getting deleted

My ptw was in 100s, now its reduced to such a low number. Nothing new is interesting nowadays, watching human shows is much better than watching anime
Nov 26, 2022 10:01 PM

Jul 2021
you just add the animes you are interested in in your ptw. when time comes you will automatically feel the urge to watch those animes. the universe gives you sign. that's how i pick animes to watch from my ptw. i will give you an example like a few months ago i suddenly felt like watching some comedy anime and then i was just scrolling insta and saw a reel of asobi asobase, really liked the video so i went and watched asobi asobase, enjoyed the fuck outta that anime, became my all time fav comedy anime. that's how you pick. other way could be choosing anime depending on your mood.

i've never felt pressure to complete my ptw.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Nov 26, 2022 10:22 PM

Jan 2019
I usually follow the latest Seasonal Anime. I usually have free time to finished some anime that I haven't watched.
Nov 27, 2022 1:14 AM

Mar 2021
There are some anime on my list that I'm going to try to prioritize next year (mainly sequels, but also stuff like Kaguya-sama, Vinland Saga, and Monogatari).
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Nov 27, 2022 5:13 AM

Dec 2021
I only add:
1) recommendations I get from others.
2) anime that I hear mentioned a lot on MAL that catches my curiosity.

I don't watch things for the sake of being famous or popular.

I currently have 48 anime in my PTW list and I personally don't feel overwhelmed by it at all. I don't put myself under any pressure to complete my PTW list. I feel that some people do, which is a position I don't really understand (although, to be fair, I don't really watch many seasonals so maybe I don't understand that pressure to watch things).
Nov 27, 2022 6:47 PM

Feb 2021
I really don't think too much about it. It's a list I arbitrarily update. I feel zero obligations to finish my PTW.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Nov 27, 2022 7:02 PM
Feb 2022
No. I'm a mess with my PTW list. It just gets bigger instead of smaller.
Nov 27, 2022 10:00 PM

Jul 2016
With 300+ in my ptw right now most of them are of anime I need to watch a second season of, so in a sense it's more of a list of reminders. Whenever I have an extra "slot" to add in a new anime I look at my ptw first and see which series is calling my name.
Nov 27, 2022 10:15 PM

Jun 2017
Nope. I added stuff randomly to my PTW, more often that not a new show i start does not come from my PTW, I just start it on a whim.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Nov 27, 2022 10:15 PM

Sep 2010
The only limitation is that I try to not add stuff that I won't watch anyway even tho it sounds interesting. They usually pile up and then I delete them years later because I never found the time to watch.
Nov 27, 2022 10:16 PM

Mar 2020
This.,

I created a regulated system back I 2019-2020 I believe, and I watch anime according to genre now.

I've been doing so since the foundation of my list. Currently I am trying to watch more shonen/action anime with a mix of comedy/school etc.

It's all done accordingly to genre.

Nov 30, 2022 10:30 PM
Nov 2022
random number generator to pick that # in my list
Nov 30, 2022 10:36 PM

Jul 2017
It used to be adding shows I was interested in to see soon, now it's just a list of either upcoming series/entries or shows that have already aired which I found out about but I'm too lazy to watch. So it mostly acts as a purgatory zone for me, not really organized whatsoever.
Jan 3, 2023 10:37 AM

Apr 2020
I have the short-term-memory of a goldfish on my best days, so I need to make a list, or else I’ll forget what I still want to watch.
So I put any show that interests me on my ptw.

This has, admittedly…… gotten a bit out of control.

I currently have 1010 titles on my ptw, so when I, indeed, want to watch something, I have to narrow it down somehow.

The first question I ask myself is what kind of genre I‘m in the mood for, afterwards I look if I can find something that I already know a bit more about. A second season of an anime I have already watched, or something that was recommended to me by a friend a while ago.

Sometimes I go by cover art, then read the synopsis, or I go into a show blind just with knowing the title and cover.

My favorite way to choose is asking my sister to give me a number between 1 and 1010 and watching the first episode of whatever results in that.

More topics from this board

» Does it REALLY matter if media gets ruined?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

10 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Jun 3

38 by Adnash »»
8 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - 4 hours ago

8 by Rinrinka »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is sound design in Anime

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

7 by Rinrinka »»
15 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 3 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

102 by ryan77999 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.