Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 22, 2020 2:43 AM

Mar 2009
Man. Sad Natsume made me sad.

What a strong breather episode. Kaburagi's declaration at the end sure was a powerful moment.
A shame more people aren't watching this one. So underrated.
Aug 22, 2020 5:51 AM

Oct 2019
Spaceship said:
Have we seen evidence of Solid Quake tampering with the Tankers' memories? I guess what happened in episode 1 was a kill command (and chip retrieval by Kabu).

While we have not seen direct evidence Kaburagi told Katsume (when he was trying to stop her from going to that mission that would kill nearly everybody) that this (i.e. supposed "final Gadoll boss" fighting missions) has happened many many times, for a far longer time than they think, and she and the other Tankers do not remember this, clearly suggesting that the System has been tampering with the memories of the Tankers/humans.

There is a contradiction / minor plot hole here by the way : if Katsume's chip has malfunctioned and the System cannot even "see" her why is she still susceptible to the periodical memory reboots? I was also disappointed that the writers never addressed why/how the Tanker fighter witnesses simply accepted the sudden game level change that happened right before their eyes in the previous episode. I was expecting Hugin to erase their memories (or simply kill them) but that did not happen. The writers simply... swept the thing under a rug and forgot about it :/
Aug 22, 2020 6:36 AM

Oct 2019
Hegar said:
Sharpedon said:

Who would impose these rules, the Gears? That is not their role, their supposed role is only to protect Deca-Dence and the Tankers. The Tankers/Humans think the Gears are humans like them (or maybe not; since the Tankers that enlist to fight the Gadoll are still called Tankers it's possible that the Tankers think the Gears are -somehow- another humanoid species that apparently can have multiple skin colors and some body modifications..), but even if they think they are another species the Gears and the System/Company behind them rule them covertly, not openly. If they ruled them openly the ruse they've been retaining all this time would not work.

The cyborgs obviously have the power to do whatever they want to these humans. They can strike a massive hole in the hull at will. They have made sure the leadership of the fortress is in their hands.

Goodness, in another post on this very page you even say, "I think you are forgetting that Hugin and the System can alter all the Tankers' memories via their chips or even kill them outright." That's god-like power. If they can do that, they have made sure they can do anything with this human society.

Yes, the cyborgs do have god-like power, but that power is still exercised covertly (thought the reason for the covert exercise of power appears to be contradictory, as I explain below). The Tankers are fully unaware of the mechanics behind the scenes, and that's by design. The apparent contradiction between the System having the power to alter or erase the memories of the Tankers (as Kaburagi clearly suggested when he was trying to stop Katsume from going to that "fog Gadoll" mission) and the requirement to do everything in complete secrecy (and, as Hugin explained to Kaburagi, even kill some humans who learn the truth rather than erase their memories, which makes no sense and could only be done out of cruelty) is something that is inherent in the show. If I appeared to contradict myself that's because the show appears to contradict itself :

If Hugin and the System have the power to alter the memories of the humans why would they need to kill anyone who learnt the truth? (unexplainable, except perhaps to point out that Hugin is a cruel and heartless SOB).
Why the need for complete secrecy in general if whenever something behind the veil is disclosed they can just erase the memory of the witnesses? (one possible explanation : their scheme is more efficient when designed in that way).
What about all the Tanker fighters who witnessed the bizarre "game level change" with their own two eyes in the previous episode? They were neither killed nor, apparently, had their memories altered or erased, but that was unfortunately never addressed. That's a contradiction on top of another contradiction. (utterly unexplainable)

It is unclear if the above are plot holes/faults or if the writers want to point out, indirectly, the limitations and inherent contradictions of the cyborgs, the System and the unjust and inhumane scheme they have devised and enforced on the humans. We already know that the System has a few blind spots like Katsume. Perhaps it has many more cracks and faults that have yet to be revealed.
Aug 22, 2020 9:32 AM

Jun 2016
I'm worried about how this anime is going to end given that it only has 12 episodes. Kaburagis plan is really poorly thought out as he failed to ask the most important question: "and then what?". So let's assume that he succeeds in destroying the factory (which let's be honest really shouldn't be the only factory they have but for the sake of convenience it probably will be) and tears down the "entertainment facility". The worst case scenario here is that the company does not deem the whole thing (including the "endangered species") "profitable" and shuts down everything including the dome that keeps the pollution out.

Also, the entertainment facility isn't even the main issue here (it's essentially just a game where AI fights against remote controlled androids) but the attitude the cyborgs have towards the regular humans. Neither Kaburagi nor anyone else for that matter have done anything to try to change this but given the limited amount of epoisodes left I have a feeling that eveything will be A-OK because someone is going to deliver a heartfelt speech giving them a rather unearned victory cause that's not how "changing everyone's minds" works especially if you start from zero.

This series really should have had at least ~24 episodes.

Sharpedon said:
Kaburagi told Katsume (when he was trying to stop her from going to that mission that would kill nearly everybody) that this (i.e. supposed "final Gadoll boss" fighting missions) has happened many many times, for a far longer time than they think, and she and the other Tankers do not remember this, clearly suggesting that the System has been tampering with the memories of the Tankers/humans.

Not really, it only suggests that there is some indoctrination going on here which we already know is going on since we've seen it happen in episode one. The game has been going on for centuries and at no point has it been stated at which interval they upgrade to a new "version" of Deca-Dence so there is no reason to assume that any of the humans from the last time this happened is still around today.
Aug 22, 2020 6:31 PM
Jul 2016
Finn_awo-16 said:

On a side note this show does a good job with portraying black characters like this one girl that was in a few shots she may have only said one line in the entire show but atleast its better than most.😤

10000000%. They definitely get my recognition for that
Aug 22, 2020 6:35 PM
Jul 2016
Sharpedon said:
Hegar said:

The cyborgs obviously have the power to do whatever they want to these humans. They can strike a massive hole in the hull at will. They have made sure the leadership of the fortress is in their hands.

Goodness, in another post on this very page you even say, "I think you are forgetting that Hugin and the System can alter all the Tankers' memories via their chips or even kill them outright." That's god-like power. If they can do that, they have made sure they can do anything with this human society.

Yes, the cyborgs do have god-like power, but that power is still exercised covertly (thought the reason for the covert exercise of power appears to be contradictory, as I explain below). The Tankers are fully unaware of the mechanics behind the scenes, and that's by design. The apparent contradiction between the System having the power to alter or erase the memories of the Tankers (as Kaburagi clearly suggested when he was trying to stop Katsume from going to that "fog Gadoll" mission) and the requirement to do everything in complete secrecy (and, as Hugin explained to Kaburagi, even kill some humans who learn the truth rather than erase their memories, which makes no sense and could only be done out of cruelty) is something that is inherent in the show. If I appeared to contradict myself that's because the show appears to contradict itself :

If Hugin and the System have the power to alter the memories of the humans why would they need to kill anyone who learnt the truth? (unexplainable, except perhaps to point out that Hugin is a cruel and heartless SOB).
Why the need for complete secrecy in general if whenever something behind the veil is disclosed they can just erase the memory of the witnesses? (one possible explanation : their scheme is more efficient when designed in that way).
What about all the Tanker fighters who witnessed the bizarre "game level change" with their own two eyes in the previous episode? They were neither killed nor, apparently, had their memories altered or erased, but that was unfortunately never addressed. That's a contradiction on top of another contradiction. (utterly unexplainable)

It is unclear if the above are plot holes/faults or if the writers want to point out, indirectly, the limitations and inherent contradictions of the cyborgs, the System and the unjust and inhumane scheme they have devised and enforced on the humans. We already know that the System has a few blind spots like Katsume. Perhaps it has many more cracks and faults that have yet to be revealed.

I think that was the point of them showing Natsume's 'chip' being broken. It set the grounds that humans can have their memories erased but 'bugs' are humans with a chip that has malfunctioned and so they cant erase them, just as Natsume would have to be killed because of no working chip. They coulda done better in explaining tho.
Aug 23, 2020 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
I love how this show manages to express the bonds between the characters such that the audience roots for those bonds to remain strong. The characters are the strongest part of the show.
Aug 23, 2020 12:23 PM

Apr 2018
It's getting better and better. Natsume saves the day before a gaddoll kills a bunch of people. Kaburagi's new goal is to kill every last Gaddol there is, he's gonna tear it all down.
Aug 23, 2020 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
I've caught up and while it's become more straight-forward, I still enjoy it tremendously. It's also worth to point out that the middle episode cards are simply stunning, and it takes away any doubt that all stylistic choices are intentional. Meaning: the world of cyborgs is an obnoxious caricature by design.

The way Kabu broke down in the end was spectacular. That stiffled scream scowl! The suffering is real.
And while it's us vs them for him, Natsume, and prison cyborgs, it's interesting where it will go with Minato. Minato is his friend, they clearly sympathize a lot, but Minato is also the mastermind behind so much of tankers' suffering.
There's also the hook with the pet gadoll in the lab. So hopefully the lab mission will offer a twist or two.

Aand, as I suspected, cyborgs don't consider themselves human.
Aug 24, 2020 5:07 AM

Apr 2012
ame-furi said:
deg said:

you know how shippers radars are like so ye i tend to be a shipper too but not a hardcore one

Yeah, because if one person wants to care for another, it automatically means that they're in love with them. You shippers are so cancerous sometimes.

Huh, shippers ignore any possible bonds other than romantic ones, especially if they're of the same gender. They simply devalue any connection other than romance.
Aug 25, 2020 4:58 AM

Jun 2014
This series is so good. Cannot believe it ranks so low here on MAL
Aug 25, 2020 5:23 AM

Jul 2009
Caraculiambro said:
This series is so good. Cannot believe it ranks so low here on MAL

The score dropped after episode 2. Some people didn't like that plot twist, unfortunately.
Aug 26, 2020 12:04 AM
Jul 2020
TEAR DOWN THE ESTABLISHMENT!
Aug 27, 2020 8:48 AM

Dec 2016
The Eren in Kabu's heart has awaken XD
Aug 27, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
this show really grew on me. At first when the twist happened, I hated it. Now, I'm actually into it and the last scene really made me want more.
Aug 29, 2020 11:04 PM

Feb 2014
Noumu said:
IKaburagis plan is really poorly thought out as he failed to ask the most important question: "and then what?"

People who wait for a well thought-out plan to make major change are the ones who end up doing nothing. Kaburagi was also in that position when he said "there will never be peace". He couldn't see the ending, so he never tried to get there.

Kaburagi is a rebel at heart. He originally exploited the system for his own gain via limit break until the consequences and the law got to him. But a disappointed rebel is still a rebel. Now that Natsume has reawoken that spirit by giving him a moral cause to fight for, he no longer is afraid for himself. I think he is 100% prepared to shoulder the consequences of his actions, and equally as determined that whatever happens next, he will prevail step by step.

Look at any revolution in history and you'll find the same personality. This show is seriously so good at developing life-like characters, gosh.
Sep 3, 2020 4:51 PM

Sep 2020
it was interesting to see interesting ep and the most touching one so far like i felt that ,we see allot of thing how tankers are changing the way they view the world bc of natsume "the bug "and how the seen was so up lifting and classic when they came all together and near epic ending with pic that i could hear with background music and fell the tense finishing of by stating the hype of yet to become
side note : - now the story taking the predictable path
https://imgur.com/a/RjaxAhy

Sep 5, 2020 10:26 PM

Jun 2017
RobinTheKing said:
this show really grew on me. At first when the twist happened, I hated it. Now, I'm actually into it and the last scene really made me want more.

I agree!
I'm glad I continued to watch this.
Sep 6, 2020 4:14 PM

Mar 2010
The intensity towards the end was real

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 1, 2020 4:56 PM

Jan 2019
Fantastic fuckin episode. The little twist at the beginning made me lower the score, but I think this episode is going to force me to bump it back up.
Oct 16, 2020 2:29 PM

Aug 2017
Finally an episode that is mostly decent after many bad or mediocre episodes. I appreciate that there is a limit in which Kaburagi can be online, it would have been quite convenient for him to be able to be online all the time. Now he wants to make Natsume happy destroying all the Gadoll! Too bad that his character was reduced to being Natsume simp.
NurguburuOct 17, 2020 3:12 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 2, 2020 12:03 AM
Oct 2019
I love this show. My second favorite of 2020 behind only Somali. I hope it finishes strong.

The butcher girl who initially thought it was easier and safer to hide inside instead of repairing the decadence was being a moron. You're not going to be safe if there's a giant fucking hole in your fortress!

Not sure how all those little plates from people's homes are going to do much. They're so small...

Kaburagi, my man
HagePotPotatoNov 7, 2020 11:40 AM
Nov 5, 2020 10:38 PM
Feb 2019
yo that was actually touching...
Nov 24, 2020 5:57 AM

Nov 2016
I have not expected this, this shit is dark af!
Dec 31, 2020 4:50 AM

Jul 2015
Got a bit frustrated over how no-one from the tankers initially wanted to patch up the big hole because they fear of dying by the Gadoll even though leaving it open definitely increases the death toll a lot more. As I read some other comment, I also think must be something to do with the chip so the story shouldn't be altered too much.

Jan 16, 2021 1:25 AM

Oct 2010
now I see why Natsume is a bug, she is the only one thinking about survival, the other humans are just doing what they are told to, what is expected of them, they just live, where Natsume said that brilliant thing about having fun while living (if I remember correctly). Now Kabu wants to destroy the gadoll facility and has the help of those guys, wondering if the final confrontation is the normal humans against the system who controls Decadence, but how the hell do you fight them?
also, why was that fighter woman alive? and Natsume's reaction to seeing Kabu's avatar was hilarious, some guy comes near girl, girl: "I'll scream!" :))
4/5 episode, the anime is great
CatalanoJan 16, 2021 1:40 AM
Feb 22, 2021 8:51 AM
Jul 2020
This show is on fire rn, might end up being my one of my favs tbh
Mar 14, 2021 11:26 PM
Jul 2015
Man been a long time having such a powerful episode!
Apr 10, 2021 12:40 PM

Jun 2017
This anime is an amalgamation of many inspirations and yet manages to stay fresh. Good stuff. I don't how it can end in only 5 more episodes though. I wonder how these avatars work. They have human looking bodies but maybe they are made of machinery or something.
Apr 13, 2021 3:05 PM

Mar 2016
Fei did come through after all!

Aaaand we have a rebellion on our hands. Heck yeah. Let's help the humans!

Turns out there's hope after all. Man, was Natsume's speech moving or what, I completely understand Kaburagi's resolve after that.

Rooting for them. Let's goooooo

Apr 22, 2021 6:35 PM

Dec 2013
Nice to see Natsume's efforts really did help in the end.
Oct 13, 2021 9:19 PM

Jul 2017
Aw, shit! Even best girl's crying now. Time to fuck shit up!

May 6, 2022 8:16 PM

Jul 2021
Heh wasn't it quite obvious after turning Natsume down that that every civilians would evacuate in the aftermath but last scene was quite sentimental maybe
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 10, 2022 5:36 AM

Nov 2022
Natsume “seeing” Kaburagi through his new avatar, even just momentarily, was such a perfect reflection of the deep bond that those two share. And yep, that’s the EXACT right reaction to have after seeing Natsume break down. Tear it all down.
May 29, 2023 2:50 AM

Dec 2022
I love Kaburagi's real form lol, he looks like a tic tac with such a manly voice.
Aug 14, 2023 5:27 PM
Aug 2023
a return to the greatness of prior episodes. the talk between deadgirl and K-man's new character, and how he went to Donatello afterwards to save her by destroying the Gadoll plant, really emphasizes how much their relationship has changed him. Dead hyped for episode 8.
Aug 15, 2023 2:45 PM

Sep 2014
So what is actually the difference between a gear and a tanker if she could immeditely tell Kaburagi is a gear in this account?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 26, 6:11 PM

Jul 2021
Natsume has grown strong very quickly. That was a nice talk between the boss and Natsume towards the end.

May 6, 5:24 AM

Nov 2019
It must've been hard for Kaburagi to hold back on revealing everything after seeing her again. Her efforts asking for help repairing the big hole do feel vain though. Episode was heart warming but nothing else, it does feel more mysterious though
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

241 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:25 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2020

124 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2020

113 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 12, 2020

119 by ST63LTH »»
May 6, 5:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.