Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2019 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aya's father is the typical type of guy that enjoys his work. However, I think he's an okay dad with a casual personality.

Hell, he even plays a board game. Nothing too complex but it made him think about spending more time with his daughters. Looks like it's around the Christmas holiday season this episode.
Dec 4, 2019 10:43 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The part with Aya's father was pretty good but the thing I liked the most in this episode was Emmy's christmas outfit
Dec 4, 2019 10:46 AM

Apr 2016
Can you hear it ? The sound of yuri ships crashing into cliffs .. it's the most holy sound in the universe.
Dec 4, 2019 10:52 AM

Aug 2013
Aya's father makes an appearance. Good thing the two got along well after playing the board game.

The two boys are so lucky, getting paired up with their crush.

Dec 4, 2019 10:58 AM
Sep 2015
I must not be the only one who mistakenly think that Aya's sister is her mother. Though Aya is very spoiled child, she should be grateful that her dad still has a wonderful job in this chaos economic age.

Oh, and the game Ladies and Gentlemen is very sexist and very fun at the same time, I think Midori might secretly matchmaking by using her rock-paper-scissor skill to fix couple.

And congratulations to yuri shipper, me as a yaoi shipper may have to wait, or the hope is lost. Both boys are good boy they deserve to marry woman, so send bad boy to me!
Dec 4, 2019 10:58 AM

Aug 2012

Hahaha, that Ladies & Gentlemen game kinda looks fun to play.
Dec 4, 2019 11:06 AM

Sep 2013
Funny how just today I bought Blokus Duel as Christmas present for someone. The Blokus as they played it this episode is an easily teachable and lovely to look at game if you can get four players together, and yes, as the store manager implied, chance to win is higher if you manage to invade other territories while letting them invade yours so they don't use their moves to block you.

As always, the games tie in well with the character content, and just like Aya's dad, the boys also get their time to shine in Ladies & Gentlemen. Still need to play that game myself, and even if it serves some gender cliches, it looks pretty fun for both sides of the table.
And then their outfits this episode, lovely >-<
Dec 4, 2019 11:40 AM

Jul 2015
I want Shouta to win Aya over so bad.

Dec 4, 2019 11:40 AM

Sep 2018
Blokus is one of my favourite board games, I've been waiting for them to play it!
Dec 4, 2019 1:14 PM
Aug 2015
Wow that father is a real piece of shit! What the fuck kind of apology was that!
"I know I'm an awful parent, but I won't change so you can suck it up. BTW I love you, even though that would mean that I make concessions in my lifestyle to make you happy, something that should be my responsibility as a father anyway, and I flat-out refuse to do that."
And honestly, the worst part of it is how Aya is just okay with this. He gave her some positive life advices while being a neglectful, garbage father. Cool. That doesn't excuse anything though.
This shit's giving me the impression of something like an abusive relationship where the victim hangs on to the scant good moments to wallpaper over the abuse.
(Just to be clear, I'm not saying that this is an abusive realtionship, only that this resolution reminded me of one.)
Dec 4, 2019 5:13 PM
Jun 2017
One of my fave episode in the said series... aams a man, they are so lucky that they have able to play with their crush on that one. A little bit of sweetness in this one plus some yuri moments
Dec 4, 2019 5:18 PM

Mar 2019
first of all thank you kami-sama for not being a recap episode again....

very wholesome episode, the ships looks also very cute together.

Bear/neko > family; confirmed
Dec 4, 2019 8:21 PM

May 2016
balagergo said:
Wow that father is a real piece of shit! What the fuck kind of apology was that!
"I know I'm an awful parent, but I won't change so you can suck it up. BTW I love you, even though that would mean that I make concessions in my lifestyle to make you happy, something that should be my responsibility as a father anyway, and I flat-out refuse to do that."
And honestly, the worst part of it is how Aya is just okay with this. He gave her some positive life advices while being a neglectful, garbage father. Cool. That doesn't excuse anything though.
This shit's giving me the impression of something like an abusive relationship where the victim hangs on to the scant good moments to wallpaper over the abuse.
(Just to be clear, I'm not saying that this is an abusive realtionship, only that this resolution reminded me of one.)

You misunderstand what he meant. His career choice is what he's most passionate about. It's what makes him who he is. He couldn't change that even if he wanted to.

By your logic you make is sound like he should just quit his career for Aya's sake. Okay, let's say he does that. How is going to provide for his two girls and that fancy apartment they live in? Granted, Aya's older sister may also be working but she may have to contribute paying the bills provided she isn't already. Her dad's career as a photographer already pays him good money so why shoot he give up the thing he loves the most? If he quits he'll have to find a regular job to pay the bills and in the worse case scenario he'll have to work long hours, meaning that he'll come late night and he will have to leave before his girls woke up to work again. Therefore it wouldn't be any different than it was before. The only other option would be to send his girls to live with his ex-wife, which also wouldn't change anything.

Aya may be spoiled but she's not selfish enough to make her dad give up the one thing he loves the most. It would just make him miserable as time went on and it would make Aya feel guilty knowing that she forced this situation onto him due to her own selfishness. How would you feel if your were forced to give up the one thing your loved most because someone important in your life made you? Would you be able to look at them the same way again? Aye getting to spend just one day with her dad is more than enough for her.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Dec 4, 2019 8:31 PM

Oct 2015
Fast episode, from the introduction of the dad to the "date".

But I'm glad for the boys nonetheless.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 5, 2019 2:45 AM

Feb 2019
This was def the best episode bar none, I was legit covering my face and squealing "SO CUTE" the entire episode, I ship Miki and Yoshi kun hard af. Please protect her forever.
Dec 5, 2019 2:58 AM
Jul 2017
Yuri shipping intensifies <3

And while Miki/Yoshi is cute, I'll still hold out for Miki/Maki
Dec 5, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2017
Aya's father is back, but as soon as he does, he's gone in a flash. I mean, parents are busy overseas, but once back home, they just can't catch a breath. And Aya, having friends now, isn't happy and puts a fuss on it, the dad's at fault!

Nevertheless, a game to alleviate those pent-up emotions, with Blokus. But blaming the dad isn't as justified, as passion gone is fun lost, along with the family's love. No matter how much he may be lost in Aya's life while growing up, she still loves her dad wholeheartedly with the things that she has found her source of fun to, no hate even if angry.

Nevertheless, it's good that they made up, and the Holy Xmas party from Emmy is underway. The boys got invited too, so...a "date" to "meet dad"? Whoa, hold your horses boys!

Anyways, the next game was quite an eye-opener (Ladies & Gentlemen). They "certainly" and coincidentally got the girl of their dreams pairing EH. That went fast, and the boys having a FUN time being mesmerized...but even Midori (acting as the husband) can't get away from it (oops, German people are QUITE expressive). After all, it's Christmas so "declaration of love"? Glad that everyone has fun.

Good times for good fun.
KANLen09Dec 5, 2019 3:12 AM
Dec 5, 2019 4:20 AM

Oct 2017
F that game was scary lol. Thou I'm happy for the boys and Midori x Emilia was cute.
Dec 5, 2019 8:19 AM
Aug 2015
DirectorK said:
balagergo said:

You misunderstand what he meant. His career choice is what he's most passionate about. It's what makes him who he is. He couldn't change that even if he wanted to.

By your logic you make is sound like he should just quit his career for Aya's sake. Okay, let's say he does that. How is going to provide for his two girls and that fancy apartment they live in? Granted, Aya's older sister may also be working but she may have to contribute paying the bills provided she isn't already. Her dad's career as a photographer already pays him good money so why shoot he give up the thing he loves the most? If he quits he'll have to find a regular job to pay the bills and in the worse case scenario he'll have to work long hours, meaning that he'll come late night and he will have to leave before his girls woke up to work again. Therefore it wouldn't be any different than it was before. The only other option would be to send his girls to live with his ex-wife, which also wouldn't change anything.

Aya may be spoiled but she's not selfish enough to make her dad give up the one thing he loves the most. It would just make him miserable as time went on and it would make Aya feel guilty knowing that she forced this situation onto him due to her own selfishness. How would you feel if your were forced to give up the one thing your loved most because someone important in your life made you? Would you be able to look at them the same way again? Aye getting to spend just one day with her dad is more than enough for her.

Oh, I perfectly understood that's what he meant. And that's why I said that it was a flimsy excuse of a garbage human. If this is what he is, if who he is is incompatible with being a father then he never should've been a father in the first place. Making her daughter seem like the unreasonable one for desiring affection from his one and only father is the scummiest thing ever.
Also, I didn't say that he should quit his job, nor did I imply that, so please don't put words in my mouth! Honestly, it's kinda sad that you think one could only completely devote themselves to their job or be a bum. Plus, it's really funny that you'd use his children as the reason for why he NEEDS to do this when this way of life is clearly soemthing that hurts his children.

"Aya may be spoiled but she's not selfish enough to make her dad give up the one thing he loves the most."
I love this line. It illustrates perfectly how fundamentally wrong his and your priorities are here. Never have I ever met a parent who'd have the gall to even consider anything in their life more important to them than their children. And honestly, I don't think such a person should even have kids. If his daughters aren't the ones who loves the most, if it's even a choice, something he thinks he needs to "give up on" for his chldren, then Aya and her sister are better off living with their mother, 'cause this man is unfit to be a parent.

By the way, if Aya is selfish for wanting to be with her father every once in a blue moon, then what the fuck do you call the father, a person who shrugs off his responsibilities to his family just so that he could lead life the way he wants to? Why are his desires legitimate in your eyes and Aya's aren't? I mean, it's obvious even from your words, the money is super tertiary compared to his "this is who I am" bullshit, so why do you think he, the adult who should know better, is the right one here? Why do you not see that he is infinitely more selfish than Aya?

If this is honestly how you see the world, then please refrain from ever having children! Build your career and whatnot, but don't ruin the lives of innocent kids!
(Although, I'm fairly certain that if you were to have kids, this bullshit mentality would fade away the very second you first see that tiny life.)

P.S. How on Earth could you say that a child who never even gets to see her parents would be "spoiled?. Seriously man, what is up with you?
Dec 5, 2019 8:54 AM

Feb 2019
Felt like the resolution to the problem between Aya and her dad could've been better. What kind of response was that from Aya's dad? She just wants to spend more time with him and he promised to go to the party with her. It's not like the family's livelihood depends on that single job with the bears. Since he's agreed to do it, nothing can be done, but the fact that he completely forgot was bad.

But Emmy's roleplaying as the wife in Ladies & Gentlemen... just damn. She takes it way too seriously but she's just too hot. Best girl.
Dec 5, 2019 9:13 AM

Jun 2009
I played Blokus back in high school with my buds more than a decade ago, and the show already showed the game being displayed in the shop right from ep 1. Glad to see it finally being featured this week.
Dec 5, 2019 9:39 AM
Feb 2009
the ships are sailing hard in this episode especially Emi x Midori lol
Dec 5, 2019 4:06 PM
Jan 2017
Afterschool Dice Club delivers yet another fine episode! Who would have thought that the best way to patch things up between Aya and her father would be a board game? This anime is on its way to prove that playing board games is the solution to all problems in life. In all honesty, though, this episode was really heartwarming. Even if Aya didn't get her dad to come to Emmy's Christmas party, she got to understand him a bit better. Also, Shouta gets to make a little bit of progress in his relationship with Aya. It's not much, but he did give her a nice present. All in all, this was one of the most heartwarming and pleasant episodes in a show that prides itself on being wholesome and family-friendly.
Dec 5, 2019 4:15 PM

Aug 2018
I really fucking laughed when the manager introduced 'Blokus' board game 'cause today, a strike started here in France. What a coincidence...

The Christmas party was really adorable, good thing Yoshioka & Tanoue some screentime !
Dec 5, 2019 8:41 PM

Mar 2018
Invited two boys who have crush on them to a girls' party, rekt their manly pride, and send them back home. Man, these girls are savage af xD

Dec 6, 2019 3:22 AM

Nov 2019
@balagergo
@DirectorK

Lol everyone hating on just the father, they're both a piece of shit, while the father is indeed at fault for neglect, he still provides for them especially with the piece of shit ex wife gone, so Aya is just an ungrateful piece of shit,

Conclusion: all of them are pieces of shit, like father like daughter, like mother like daughter (except the sister, she's the only one who's not a piece of shit, probably adopted)
Dec 6, 2019 7:00 AM

Jun 2017
That clothes game... welcome to the 20th century!

Dec 6, 2019 6:16 PM
Jul 2015
Mostly a good episode, but anime still has a problem of easily forgiving bad family members.
Dec 6, 2019 8:10 PM

Nov 2008
I wanted to go easy on the father, and I probably would have if he hadn't broken his promise like that. He tells her he loves her in a heartfelt way, but you can't throw that word around one moment and break promises the next.

Let's get this straight: Aya seemed perfectly understanding that her father worked overseas and she didn't see him but once every couple of years. She wasn't being "selfish" and certainly not a "piece of shit" as some users have said simply for wanting to spend what little time she had with her father before he left again. That's just natural to want to spend as much time as you can with someone you love. Her father can love his job and his family, but it's important to know when to prioritize which, and that's the nice way of saying it.
Dec 6, 2019 10:36 PM
Mar 2015
Glad Aya and her father made up The goodbyes between the boys and girls were cute
Dec 7, 2019 4:28 AM

Oct 2008
looks like the pairs are formed but both Aya & Miki doesn't even have a hint that the guys have hots for them! lolz
looks like we'll get to see the improved version of Midori's own board game!
5/5.

Dec 8, 2019 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
balagergo said:

I'm not sure about the abusive relationship comparison thing but I agree that Aya's father didn't learn anything from the experience. I mean, once you become a parent, you stop thinking only about yourself. No wonder why his wife left him.

Ok, that's it. I love Emmy already. Midori is still my favorite girl but man, Emmy has been such a great addition to the cast.

Overall, very good episode and although Aya's father didn't learn shit in the end, I will still give it an 5/5 since as a whole, it was hella entertaining. Especially during the second half where I absolutely loved the role playing during the "Ladies and Gentlemen" game.

So well, it seems the plot will return to Midori's game arc next episode. Really looking forward to it!

P.S. 1: Patagonia!? OMG, this is the first time I hear my region being mentioned in an anime (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

P.S. 2: Maki x Yoshi ship is adorable as hell but Emmy x Midori's one low-key caught my interest ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMar 18, 2020 11:26 PM
Dec 10, 2019 8:05 PM

Jul 2017
lol that clothes game was just spelling for disaster to happen
Dec 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Aug 2018
I hope I'm not the only one who wants Aya and Tanoue to end up together, they're too cute!!

Also Aya's fathers seems to be a chill guy

Dec 18, 2019 10:05 AM

Jan 2015
ah, i really liked this episode. Seing Aya screaming when her father gave her a surprise from the back was heartwarmng and nostalgic :(
Her dad sure loves to take pictures sometimes even forgetting that he came to see his daughters, gotta know how to not put all of your attention on great pictures and cute animals lol. Aya sure got angry from that haha...

Good guy manager thinking up of an idea to make up dad and Aya by playing a game they have to cooperate in. Aya is a bit unreasonable, it's her dad's bread and butter and something he loves doing, you should respect his feelings, but i'm sure she just acted on impulse and actually wants his father to be happy.

Dressing up game sounds waaaay too fun lol. Too bad they didn't go into to much detail we just saw results pretty much, i'd really like to see the whole process and damn the romance is so sweet it melts everything :v especially that nice ending with the insterted ED song. "I gotta protect her" or that gloves present :3
Dec 18, 2019 12:40 PM

Nov 2014
Wtf was that 2nd game. Too realistic D:

As for ships... no thx. Keep guys out of my CGDCT anime.
Dec 20, 2019 7:06 PM

Oct 2010
I still believe that Aya’s father should’ve stayed with her for the Christmas party. I know your job and happiness is important, but bonding with your daughters (especially because they haven’t seen each other in a long time) should take priority.

What’s with this pairing? It’s so cute. Yoshioka x Miki are totally a match for each other <3
Dec 20, 2019 10:21 PM

Jun 2009
I have the feeling that the people who are defending Aya's father think that parents only purpose is to give money and any stupid things like "love" and "care" are completely unnecessary...

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Dec 25, 2019 2:50 AM

Jan 2016
This is my favorite episode so far. I really liked how Shouta and Yoshioka were going after Miki and Aya. I definitely ship them. Emmy in that christmas outfit is certainly very nice. Was she drunk there are the end or what lul
Feb 6, 2020 6:02 PM

Jan 2016
This was actually a really cute episode and I liked it a lot ^~^

4/5
Mar 21, 2020 7:12 AM

Apr 2011
dem Shipping thou.
Apr 13, 2020 2:21 PM

Jul 2015
I feel bad for Yoshioka and Tanoue...they never stood a chance against gamemaster Midori and her lovely wife Emilia

May 6, 2020 12:09 PM
Jan 2010
Aya's father is a shitty father and the "heartwarming" moment was fucking embarrassing. A child is not being "selfish" when she wants to spend literally a handful of hours with her father, whom she hasnt seen in two years. She is beyond understanding about his garbage priorities and what makes her snap is when he breaks a promise to her he made earlier that day.

His speech is literally, "I'm selfish and prioritise my own wishes above my family. But I love you so whatever emotional trauma I put you through is fine." and Aya like a good little victim smiles and gives him an out. He's a textbook user. Not sure where the editorial about her "shitty mother" came from as even her garbage dad agreed she was right to leave him.

The "defence" of his actions is fucking laughable. "The only responsibility of a parent is to give their kids money, any kid expecting to see their parent or have any of their time or attention is a needy shit."
Jun 3, 2020 2:23 PM

May 2015
I share the same sentiments as some before me: the father's apology is just him saying he takes no responsibility for anything, and Aya just forgiving him like that is crazy!
I was very mad during the second part of the episode.

This second part was very cute, though.
Aug 27, 2020 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
I thought I would be the only one who felt strange towards the first half of this episode, but I guess not.

The way they turned a serious family matter into playing board games was very awkward and silly. It also didn't feel realistic that Aya would agree to play a game with him. Aya was really upset and hurt so she would just leave the store. And then Aya forgives him so quickly and easily wtf!

The initial conflict felt genuine, but everything else after cheapened the whole thing.
removed-userAug 27, 2020 10:36 AM
Jul 3, 2022 9:16 AM

Aug 2018
Hm.. If father was constantly in travels due to his job and stuff.. I'd expect children to be left with mother instead then.. If father can't dedicate his time.. Maybe he can give more financially or something, who knows.. But he just can pay support.. So a bit surprised if wife left.. Why children were left with him.. But of course anything could be there.. Lots of things..
Jan 3, 2023 12:53 PM

May 2015
Segaco said:
I share the same sentiments as some before me: the father's apology is just him saying he takes no responsibility for anything, and Aya just forgiving him like that is crazy!
I was very mad during the second part of the episode.

This second part was very cute, though.
Two years later and I'm still mad at both the father's apology and Aya easily forgiving him

>:(
Sep 24, 2023 2:42 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
The first half with Aya’s dad was a bit too real lol, and Aya’s dad’s logic is flawed imo but I’m glad they made up by the end of it, it was a nice moment. And the 2nd half featuring the girls and their respective love interests playing that game that required them to be husband and wife was quite the amazing bit lol, I hadn’t even seen many CGDCT shows at the time this aired to know this but man it’s refreshing for the girls in one of these shows to have male love interests, yuri is great and all (we even got some of that with Emmy and Midori lol) but I also love what we’re seeing here, I was a big fan of it when I originally watched this too.
TheColonel76Sep 24, 2023 2:45 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2019

54 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2019

75 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 26, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

96 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2019

67 by alexw1020 »»
Apr 3, 8:20 PM

Poll: » Houkago Saikoro Club Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2019

31 by TheColonel76 »»
Sep 25, 2023 4:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.