Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 20, 2018 5:41 PM
Aug 2017
Mappa has slowly become one of the more prominent studios in Japan. They are mostly known for doing obscure works such as old adaptations of manga or unique originals. I would personally say that no one would hate them because of their interesting output, but no one would consider them as a top-tier studio, at least not yet. The studio is quite young and have shown some good signs over the years. What do you think of them?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/569/MAPPA
Nov 20, 2018 5:44 PM

Feb 2013
the most revolutionary studio of the last few years, doing extremely high quality series with interesting and more mature plots

once Sarazanmai has finished airing, anime can be officially considered saved
Nov 20, 2018 5:45 PM
Jan 2018
Very unique line-up.
A flop here and there, but mostly positive.
Nov 20, 2018 5:45 PM
we back

Aug 2015
I've watched one anime by them, so I couldn't really care for them.
Nov 20, 2018 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
Good studio. Now I'm waiting for the shitstorm of Kakegurui S2.
Nov 20, 2018 6:02 PM

Nov 2015
They are the new madhouse
But can only survive on gay shows like banana fish and yuri on ice. Japan likes stuff like that
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Nov 20, 2018 6:10 PM

Aug 2016
Well, the anime I've watched from Mappa were Shingeki no Bahamut, Virgin Soul, Yuri on Ice, Kakegurui and currently Zombieland Saga.

I enjoyed Bahamut S1 and Zombieland Saga is pretty neat so far, but Virgin Soul and Kakegurui suck and I didn't care all that much for Yuri on Ice, so I'd say it's a mixed bag from those experiences. Guess I should watch more anime from Mappa to see if my opinion on them improves.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 20, 2018 6:13 PM

Jul 2012
Old_School_Akira said:
They are the new madhouse
But can only survive on gay shows like banana fish and yuri on ice. Japan likes stuff like that
Erm seems more like they are focused on passion projects staff want to make rather than churning out soulless LN adaptions.
My understanding is Sayo Yamamoto had wanted to make Yuri on Ice for a long time before she got the opportunity and considering how old Banana Fish is it was probably on someones want-to-do list aswell.
Nov 20, 2018 6:13 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Studio MAPPA is one studio to look forward to! Like you said, they have been adapting old relics such as Banana Fish and Ushio to Tora and in the meantime also making unique originals, such as Zombieland Saga and Yuri on Ice!!, so they are definitely a very busy studio too.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Kakegurui xx will fare.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 20, 2018 6:34 PM

Aug 2017
all the series i have seen from them so far turned out to be complete horse shit so i dont have much faith in them
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2018 7:36 PM

Sep 2011
I like them quite a lot though they do have a lack of consistency, and also virgin soul is like the worst anime ive watched in the past couple years.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 20, 2018 9:41 PM
Feb 2014
assyrian said:
all the series i have seen from them so far turned out to be complete horse shit so i dont have much faith in them

Watch Shoukoku no Altair and let's see if you can say that again!

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Nov 20, 2018 10:36 PM

Aug 2018
I haven't seen too many of them although some are on my PTW. Zombieland Saga is the best thing i've seen from them. They do a variety of stuff if anything
FireballKnuckleNov 20, 2018 10:50 PM
Nov 20, 2018 10:43 PM
Jul 2018
The studio adapted some cool stuff. Can't wait for Kakegurui S2
Nov 20, 2018 10:48 PM

Jul 2013
I hate them. They made me become a necrophile and now I can't help it :(
Nov 20, 2018 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely deserves the spot with classics such as inuyashiki, that ww2 one, and kakegurui.

I like them. They are able to do a good mix of mature with good visuals.
(inuyashiki was a 9/10 imo)
Nov 20, 2018 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
They've certainly done quite well for themselves :`)

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Nov 20, 2018 11:31 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
They're top tier studio imo. All their works, (excluding the bad Virgin Soul) are pretty damn good. Don't matter if people say "they just appeal to westerners" or whatever tf. In general they're just that good.
Nov 20, 2018 11:39 PM
Feb 2012
they try to adapt old manga so they aren't that bad

for their newer stuff I hope Sarazanmai is really fucking gay
Ikuhara likes to throw in lesbians and gays let's say I haven't lost hope yet
Nov 20, 2018 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
I was disappointed about Kakegurui or maybe this show and its edgequeen didn't appeal to me. BUT that's the sexiest opening I have ever seen anyway. To be honest.*cough*
Apart from that I liked everything I have seen so far very much and I'm looking forward to watch Zankyou no Terror, Kids on the Slope and Shingeki no Bahamut.
Just the Zombieland Saga... uhm. Well, whatever floats people's boat. Maybe I'll give it a try someday. xD
Nov 21, 2018 12:01 AM

May 2015
They have their ups and downs like every other studio. Based on the anime I've seen from them, I'd rate MAPPA a 7/10. I have yet to watch Kids on the Slope, but I'm looking forward to it. As of now, Shoukoku no Altair is the best anime I've seen from them even though that series was extremely rushed...
Nov 21, 2018 12:18 AM

Jul 2017
mappa's anime are some of the most stylized i've watched
i like how the way they utilize 3dcg in certain dramatic scenes in various anime
Nov 21, 2018 12:21 AM

Apr 2013
Only anime I watched from them are Teekyuu, so... not real opinion here.
Nov 21, 2018 2:17 AM

Jun 2017
MAPPA is the new (and a better) version of Madhouse
Nov 21, 2018 2:29 AM
Nov 2018
Aren't they made up of old Madhouse staff?
Nov 21, 2018 2:38 AM

May 2018
I like from them only Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis (but not the sequel), Punch Line and Teekyuu.
Nov 21, 2018 2:40 AM
Jul 2018
yeah it's really good
as good as madhouse
Nov 21, 2018 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
They're being very fujoshi-friendly with their recent anime.

Nov 21, 2018 2:56 AM

Apr 2018
They have enough dignity to not give us awfully looking shows with trashy animation and direction
Oct 13, 2020 4:11 PM
Oct 2019
They have some popular anime, but nothing really strikes me as especially deep story-wise.
Some of their newer Anime just seem like real try hards which is kind of annoying.
Even if the animation is smooth and the plot is somewhat new, something just really feels hollow with its shows and I cant really put my finger on it. I cant see Mappa bringing out an Anime you could call an masterpiece. They kind of are living from the first moment hype their Anime gives of. I just cant grasp most of their shows and they just don't intrigue me and make me want to watch further...

I don't mean every show from Mappa.
I'm mostly not a fan of their original works.
The pacing often just sucks and it is too over dramatic and unrealistic while wanting to seem realistic... Yeah I think my problem really is that try hard thing haha
Oct 13, 2020 5:37 PM

Oct 2010
A once promising studio that is now the epitome of everything that's wrong in the industry with their overload of projects and their absolutely abysmal work ethics. They've produced some great stuff anyway.
Oct 13, 2020 10:10 PM

Oct 2013
jal90 said:
A once promising studio that is now the epitome of everything that's wrong in the industry with their overload of projects and their absolutely abysmal work ethics. They've produced some great stuff anyway.

If Mappa isn't a promising studio because of workload then more 90% are in the same boat here. This is the norm in the anime industry.

There are certain jobs that require more time in and you will have less free times compare to other jobs. Crunch time, working over time etc is the norm, yes sad indeed but the truth and the reality.

So please if you are going to say that to mappa you might as well generalize the entire industry.
Oct 14, 2020 12:10 AM

Oct 2010
keragamming said:
jal90 said:

If Mappa isn't a promising studio because of workload then more 90% are in the same boat here. This is the norm in the anime industry.

There are certain jobs that require more time in and you will have less free times compare to other jobs. Crunch time, working over time etc is the norm, yes sad indeed but the truth and the reality.

So please if you are going to say that to mappa you might as well generalize the entire industry.

When I say it's the epitome of everything that's wrong in the industry I think I'm saying that exactly.

But then again, it's not the 90% of anime industry that accepted the workload and demanding conditions to produce the final season of Attack on Titan all while having a history of bad working conditions and an ever increasing workload.
Oct 14, 2020 3:55 AM

Sep 2013
Not bad but far from the old Madhouse.
Oct 14, 2020 4:05 AM
Jul 2018
Their shows are a big hit or miss for me, but I always appreciate their production values. Also they take some risks and adapt interesting and good old manga as well, like Dororo or Banana Fish, or take risks to make series like Yuri on Ice.
I also liked Shoukoku no Altair as well, and Shingeki no Bahamut was pretty good too.
And although I felt like God of Highschool was very generic and boring story- and character-wise, I appreciate the battle scenes.
I was surprised that WIT won't adapt the last Attack on Titan-season, but Mappa is a neat choice too.

jal90 said:
keragamming said:

When I say it's the epitome of everything that's wrong in the industry I think I'm saying that exactly.

But then again, it's not the 90% of anime industry that accepted the workload and demanding conditions to produce the final season of Attack on Titan all while having a history of bad working conditions and an ever increasing workload.

Oof, I didn't know that. Unfortunately only KyoAni seems to make a change.

More topics from this board

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - May 29

22 by Ricchan__ »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

137 by APolygons2 »»
30 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

35 by alshu »»
31 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - Apr 27

100 by The-Mighty-Ranzo »»
35 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Jun 12

36 by 23feanor »»
60 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.