Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever found any unexpected reference to movies, books and so on in anime?

New
Sep 14, 2018 7:19 AM

May 2018
Today I was very surprised by seeing that in Yuri Kuma Arashi there are references to the movie Suspiria (1977).
Sep 14, 2018 7:20 AM

Jan 2013
If you count references of Godzilla then yeah
Sep 14, 2018 7:20 AM

Nov 2017
Yep in a few Anime but I have forgot.
30 character sucks
THERE EXIST IN THIS WORLD SOMETHING NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN
IT'S GENTLE SO VERY SWEET
THE GLIMPSES IS ALL IT TAKES TO MAKE A PERSON CRAVE IT
THAT'S WHY IT'S NEVER BEEN SEEN
THAT'S WHY THE WORLD HAS KEPT HIDDEN
MAKING IT DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN
BUT ONE DAY, IT WILL BE FOUND

BY THE PERSON WHO IS MEANT TO FIND IT. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WORKS.
"

Sep 14, 2018 7:22 AM

Jul 2015
In many of them, especially the genres slice of life, school or drama.
I've even found a few books to read thanks to anime.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Sep 14, 2018 7:25 AM

Nov 2017
Dirty Pair, it's an episodic anime literally indirectly referencing a popular western movie or tv show each arc.
Sep 14, 2018 7:30 AM
Jul 2018
not really
i don't get references easily
Sep 14, 2018 7:32 AM

Sep 2013
I remember a few references, like terminator references but I can't really recall them rn
Sep 14, 2018 7:35 AM

Sep 2017
the walking dead in gintama, and many Japanese books in sayonara zetsobou sensei. also many movies too, the school was once named the Hogwarts wizardry school.
Sep 14, 2018 7:41 AM

Feb 2017
kinda thought that Sera's gun in Hellsing being called Harkonnen was just a coincidence until she had some kind of dream where the spirit of the gun talks to her and he's a creepy floating fat man, then I was pretty sure it wasn't a coincidence.
Sep 14, 2018 7:47 AM

Jul 2008
I was quite taken aback when Gintama directly referenced Enya. Never expected anime and Enya to overlap, but Hideaki Sorachi—and the anime staff—have commendable awareness of worldly pop culture.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Sep 14, 2018 7:50 AM

Dec 2015
I never thought FLCL would ever animate a part in the style of South Park but they did.
Sep 14, 2018 7:54 AM

Dec 2016
If I remember well The Tatami Galaxy mentioned some Hollywood movies.
Sep 14, 2018 7:01 PM

Oct 2015
The light novel for Infinite Stratos was surprisingly quite well-informed of European history, particularly the Napoleon era and religious allusion.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Sep 15, 2018 1:39 AM

Nov 2017
There were to much reference, but i will show you few :
- terminator 2 (most of anime with parody tags)
- Sky High (boku no hero academia)
- harry potter (little witch academia)
- Narnia (every isekai anime)

i cant recall more than this bcoz i dont remember it well.
bondtuxSep 15, 2018 4:31 AM
Now Loading.....
Sep 15, 2018 1:46 AM

Jan 2013
Poputepipikku has lots of those moments.
Parodying fucking Skyrim among other things.
Sep 15, 2018 1:46 AM

Jul 2012
The first one that comes to mind is Sabagebu had like half of an episode that was a parody of Predator.
Sep 15, 2018 11:19 PM
Oct 2016
There are quite a few but in order to spot them you will have to have consumed a lot of media outside the genre.
One cut and dry easy example is from GATE - the apocalypse now homage.

Segment from gate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-hthd39wM
After watching I realize there is a bit of Platoon in it too I think (proper siting proper leading line) It's either platoon or full metal jacket.

Part of segment from Apocalypse Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE5MXYhR4-g

Most aren't that long are dedicated though. Lots of Kubrick influence in anime too I've noticed.
Also there is this huge and obvious influence or reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E (1963)
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlEC64zdZKQ (1995)
Sep 15, 2018 11:26 PM

May 2013
The episodes 19 to 21 of Re:Zero seemed like a reference to Moby Dick.

CondemneDio said:

Seems interesting, going to check this out sometime.
KreatorXSep 15, 2018 11:38 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 15, 2018 11:47 PM

May 2009
It's quite common for anime series to reference classic stuff like the mythologies of various cultures, but somewhat less common for them to reference popular culture, probably due to copyright liabilities on one hand and lack of relevance on another.

That said, I was surprised to learn that Soukou no Strain is heavily inspired by a few children's novels by Frances Hodgson Burnett, mostly A Little Princess.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 15, 2018 11:50 PM

Jan 2011
Youkai Watch makes a lot of references. I never expected one for The Walking Dead.
Sep 15, 2018 11:51 PM

Jan 2013
KreatorX said:

CondemneDio said:

Seems interesting, going to check this out sometime.

Just a friendly warning; Poputepipikku is a massive shitpost of an anime, and the humor is not for all tastes :D
Sep 16, 2018 12:44 AM

Sep 2018
An 80s Voltron reference in Osomatsu-san blew my mind once.

Sep 16, 2018 12:47 AM

Apr 2016
I remember I was really srurprised when I saw a quote from Jean-Paul Sartre's 'L'existentialisme est un humanisme' in one of the episodes of Classroom of the Elite. They used to show quotes at the start or the end of each I think.

The reason I was surprised is because I've actually bought the book a while before...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Sep 16, 2018 1:30 AM

May 2015
Senki Zesshou Symphogear pays homage and makes several references to several Hollywood Action films and actors, music artists, fairy tales, and video games such as...

- Wild ARMS (Given since the co-creator of the series is also the game designer of Wild ARMS)
- Norse Mythology
- Bruce Lee
- Street Fighter
- Rocky
- Ip Man
- The fictional country "Val Verde"
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace
- The Deadliest Catch
- John Wayne
- Vercingetorix
- Equilibrium
- James Bond
- The Hulk (2003 film)
- Rambo
- A possible indirect reference to The Sound of Music
- A possible indirect reference to Michael Jackson
- A possible indirect reference to Million Dollar Baby
- A DIRECT reference of the background of voice actress Nana Mizuki
- The Bavarian Illuminati
- Jackie Chan's "Police Story"
- Tsuki Shrine (a real Shrine in Japan)
- Led Zeppelin
- Megadeth
- Iron Maiden
- Arthemis
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Queen
- Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
- The name "Juliet"
- Jabberwocky
- Cinderella
- Rapunzel
- Pinocchio
- Tinkerbell
- And the insert song "Hanasaku Yuki" has a very familiar Egyptian-like melody at the beginning where I am pretty sure is based on another song...but I can't pinpoint what...

And if you want me to include the anime series that it references to as well:
- Macross
- Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- Saint Seiya
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Gundam

And I'm pretty sure I missed a couple. Crazy list, isn't it?
TarotistSep 16, 2018 2:18 AM
Sep 16, 2018 1:33 AM

Feb 2015
blumenbalt said:
I remember a few references, like terminator references but I can't really recall them rn

This one by any chance?
Sep 16, 2018 2:18 AM

Jan 2015
i cant recall quickly about unexpected encounter but the whole chapters of prison school is basically movie spoof

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 16, 2018 7:22 AM
Aug 2018
The manly looking from teacher in asobi asobase looks like miss mann from scary movie.
Sep 16, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2016
pretty sure makishima in psycho pass references a famous author
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 16, 2018 9:12 AM

Sep 2013
Milennin said:
blumenbalt said:

This one by any chance?

I don't think so, it was probally in a cute girls doing cute things anime as far as my memory goes, but this is a nice one hahah
Sep 16, 2018 9:32 AM

Jul 2014
Both seasons of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are rife with allusions to other works. Season 1 repeatedly references JD Salinger's stuff (he even wrote a short story called The Laughing Man, which is damn good) and it referenced the classic Jean-Luc Godard film Breathless in one episode.

In the second there weren't as many iirc but one of my favourite episodes was essentially a homage to Taxi Driver.
Take care of yourself

Sep 16, 2018 10:02 AM

Jul 2017
All the irl people the servants in Fate are based off of
Sep 16, 2018 10:48 AM
Mar 2018
Blood blockade battlefront has a direct reference to the movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger is Danny Devito's twin brother, I forget the actual film, but it drives home Arnie's usual role as an action movie hero by depicting him lifting a car over his head.
I know not much people have read it, but excel saga the manga has 2 direct references and I think they are in the detective noir parody chapter, there is one scene where the characters go to the cinema, I could swear that the movie had the main girl excel dressed as master chief, the other, while excel, as the main detective tries to solve the case of random murders she runs into morpheous from the matrix, it really looks like him too, he offers excel them pills...
The manga doesn't show that the author is a big fan of anime, but a fan of movies and games, it also might show he is baffled by technology as several of the jokes are about tech we have now, and it was finished in 2011 - self driving cars and internet tv's were some
Sep 16, 2018 11:06 AM

Aug 2014
Short_Circut said:
that wouldn't be unexpected though
Sep 16, 2018 11:11 AM

Jul 2017
Insertanamehere said:
Short_Circut said:
that wouldn't be unexpected though

Eh, true. Didn't really read the title properly lel
Sep 16, 2018 11:20 AM

Mar 2017
The prologue sequences of Asobi ni Iku yo! are references to American (and at least one British) TV shows from the 60s through the 80s. Some of them left me wondering if Japanese viewers would get the references, or if perhaps they were later additions for western audiences (they consist mostly if not entirely of clips from elsewhere in the episodes).
A møøse once bit my sister...
Sep 16, 2018 11:21 AM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
I found out that in XXXHolic when they kept making references to Watanuki being the main character Nobita from Doraemon and the sly references of him Doumeki being a pair, that Nobita's crush was his childhood friend "Shizuka" Doumeki first name. Like that's obscure and funny I found that out, I feel more scorned over this.
Sep 16, 2018 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
yes omg. in Bander Book there is a reference to The Forbidden Planet. Tezuka had great taste
Sep 16, 2018 12:36 PM

May 2018
Ha, the opposite actually. It's mostly when I listen to a song or single out a fragment from a book, that I can apply it to the anime or to some event or character in it. I guess that's not really within the context of the thread, since it happens after I watch the anime, so yeah. Hm, there's a small one I remember from Yuri Kuma Arashi, in the Lulu-centred episode, in which a bee would constantly swirl around her or her brother, or at least that's how I remember it, and I remembered that in Greek mythology bees were guides or something to the underworld, and indeed, at the end of the episode, her brother died from a bee. Well, it is an anime full of symbolism, so maybe it can be interpreted differently or maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it reminded me of.
Sep 16, 2018 12:38 PM

Sep 2014
Yes, I found references of my Science Textbook in the anime Stein;s Gate.
Sep 16, 2018 12:59 PM

Dec 2012
I remember references to:

Terminator
Star Wars
Star Trek
Top Gun
Bruce Willis
Bruce Lee
Metallica
The Count of Monte Cristo
Sherlock Holmes
The Lord of the Rings
The CIA and FBI (Often confusing one for the other)
MI6 (Possibly a James Bond reference)
KruszerSep 16, 2018 1:11 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 16, 2018 1:12 PM

Apr 2015
The most striking for me was when 100% Pascal-sensei referenced the "Water, water everywhere..." statement from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The line is somewhat famous, but I was floored when I saw them making that reference.
Sep 16, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2017
Not sure if this is "unexpected", but "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" in Psycho Pass.
Sep 17, 2018 6:38 AM

May 2018
_Bergamot said:
Ha, the opposite actually. It's mostly when I listen to a song or single out a fragment from a book, that I can apply it to the anime or to some event or character in it. I guess that's not really within the context of the thread, since it happens after I watch the anime, so yeah. Hm, there's a small one I remember from Yuri Kuma Arashi, in the Lulu-centred episode, in which a bee would constantly swirl around her or her brother, or at least that's how I remember it, and I remembered that in Greek mythology bees were guides or something to the underworld, and indeed, at the end of the episode, her brother died from a bee. Well, it is an anime full of symbolism, so maybe it can be interpreted differently or maybe I'm wrong, but that's what it reminded me of.

Ikuhara works are so full of symbols that you're overwhelmed by them, it's difficult to focus on every aspect of his works, then thank you for let me know this thing about the bee symbol
Sep 17, 2018 1:42 PM

Mar 2013
Noucome OVA reference to School days was out of nowhere.

and they realy love to make reference of Heidi, alway fun to see it in TWGOK or Tantei opera milky holme
Oct 28, 2022 4:49 PM
Oct 2022
Psycho-Pass anime has a huge list of books references. There is a goodreads list for it. I read a lot from that list. Still ongoing.

One piece - has a lot, but the most prominent ones to books are Jules verne. But many references to movies

Tokyo ghoul - to kafka a lot

Hellsing - Dracula and historical facts. Funny and sad it has the best reference on history of the days when he was the prince of walachia. I dunno the assault from sultan, but he was working at a position in the Palace to place him for such possibilities. The after his death part is completely related to Dracula. There are also many other literary and historical references.
Mano666Oct 28, 2022 4:55 PM
Oct 30, 2022 10:52 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Just watch Gintama and you'll find lots of them

Oct 31, 2022 12:27 AM

May 2018
ryo-san said:
Just watch Gintama and you'll find lots of them

Those are expected tho.

I guess 4 years ago OP meant things like the Thunderbirds references in Macross II: Lovers Again, Fushigi no Umi no Nadia and One Piece (where the ship Sunny has many such references, including one to another series called Stingray, which is a similar puppet show to Thunderbirds made by the same team).
Talking about puppet shows, there is a reference to Hyokkori Hyotan Jima (which I never watched) in Omoide Poroporo.

Surely I didn't expected those.
Nov 2, 2022 3:24 PM
Oct 2019
I'll never forget the Obama reference in Osomatsu-san tbh
Nov 2, 2022 3:37 PM

Aug 2017
That Amélie Poulain reference in Detroit Metal City was pretty unexpected.

More topics from this board

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

36 by SleepyNosku »»
2 minutes ago

» A tone shift in anime that you didn't see coming

SmashBlack - Feb 19, 2021

37 by SleepyNosku »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there any anime which you haven't watched but you enjoyed the Hentai/Doujin centred around that perticular series ?

GoodBoy0069 - 4 minutes ago

0 by GoodBoy0069 »»
4 minutes ago

» Restarting Dropped Shows

EverRealm - 8 minutes ago

0 by EverRealm »»
8 minutes ago

» Who is the greatest anime bro of all time?

SgtBateMan - 1 hour ago

4 by Lhundrup »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.