Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 2, 2017 6:29 PM

Feb 2013
Nice episode. It re-confirmed that Ange is actually Princess Charlotte and Princess is really Ange (revealed in episode 2? apparently a lot of people missed it). Now we just need to fill in how she became a spy.
Sep 3, 2017 1:24 AM
Jan 2015
finally things are clearing up after all the confusion in the early episodes. the episode s are still messy in the way they are presented but still very good anime

hope its more than 12-13 episodes
Sep 3, 2017 1:49 AM

Jan 2016
Ange was Charlotte, Charlotte was Ange.. lmao I'm confused and sad at the same time

Owie Owie right in the kokoro.

When you're a princess and you want to see the outside world but you were greeted by a smack by your own(not) father.. damn it's just sad af.
Sep 3, 2017 7:20 PM

Jan 2011
This is what you call fucked up role reversal.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Sep 13, 2017 7:09 PM

May 2016
I feel kind of frustrated, I feel so bad for Charlotte.

I like the princess but is Charlotte who I want to achieve hapiness
Sep 17, 2017 4:07 AM

Jan 2017
This was so a good episode. So touching, i had my suspicion about them having had traded places in the past, and the fact that it's actually true makes the story much more interesting.

Also, i love how much attention this shows gives to the social aspects of that world. Each time they incorporate sad but completely real-like stories of poverty, inequality and hardship.

Without doubt, this has slowly but steadily become one of my favorite shows this season.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Sep 17, 2017 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
Wha-agh-how-wha
What?!
What?!
WHAT?!
I...I thought their backstory would be a generic clone thing, but...whaaaaaaa????!!!!

Sep 17, 2017 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
BurntJelly said:
Nice episode. It re-confirmed that Ange is actually Princess Charlotte and Princess is really Ange (revealed in episode 2? apparently a lot of people missed it). Now we just need to fill in how she became a spy.

When was it hinted that Ange is Charlotte?
Sep 17, 2017 9:25 AM

Feb 2007
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
BurntJelly said:

Both the letter Ange gave Princess and Princess welcoming her back at the end of ep 2 use their original names.
Sep 17, 2017 9:25 AM

Oct 2008
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
BurntJelly said:

At end of episode 2 as Princess calls her Charlotte. She also does it again a few more times in other episodes when they're alone.

Also in episode 2 the note the spy wrote to the Princess was signed Charlotte and addressed to Ange, so we would also know that the princess real name is Ange.
"There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force."
The Jedi Code
Sep 17, 2017 9:59 AM
Jul 2016
After all this time, I just noticed this isn't showing in chronological order. Why is that?
Sep 18, 2017 1:14 PM

Jul 2009
OMG! What a twist! So Ange is the real princess! This episode was amazing...but I still want to know if the girls were twins and were separated as kids...
Oct 1, 2017 1:38 PM

Oct 2015
That was a surprising reveal that they switched roles and lives, Charlotte is supposed to have Ange's life and vice versa. So the real princess is Ange, wow that was a cool episode but it focused on them( background story) not on the spy work but I loved it anyway.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 3, 2017 10:27 AM
Nov 2012
Holy fuck! The plot twist! I was expecting a little scheme behind their story, like them being sisters or some such but this... THIS..... this is too much.!

The twist bumped up the series from a mere 7.5 to a Big 9. I'm loving it so much more now.

It explains why "Ange" has a habit of lying all the time
Oct 7, 2017 2:13 AM

Jun 2014
What a fucking plot twist! The way they communicated the story was absolutely brilliant. This show is truly fucking amazing!
:3
Oct 17, 2017 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
Wow, interesting the final shot, but do not forget some inconsistencies in the narrative. However, the episode is appreciable to make the connection between the two protagonists well understood.
Oct 23, 2017 4:45 PM

Sep 2011
OMFG. What a great episode.
I was expecting the big reveal after the 2nd episode (and the letter in it), but not something this fucked up :'D I didn't think this was how it happened. I thought they were seperated twins or something, though that might still happen.

For some reason the one scene that hit me the most was poor Princess's (well, real-Ange's) face when she was sitting at the wall surrounded by all the scary adults. Her eyes and how scared she seemed really made me sad :(
Both of them had to go through so much to get where they are now... :(

I'm still expecting something, this probably won't be the last twist. They might still turn out to be twins. Or maybe all this sweet face Ange (Charlotte) show is all just a lie for some fucked up reason :S Though I can't guess what would that reason be, after seeing their sad past.
RazielZeroOct 23, 2017 4:58 PM
Dec 5, 2017 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
Holy shit! Honestly wasn't expecting twist like that! And now everything makes sense!
Didn't expect such good episode at all! And the music was brilliant too this time, kudos to Kajiura!

Well, but they really look like sisters when you think about it... maybe they are twins split during the birth actually?
Jan 21, 2018 6:10 AM

Mar 2015
And we finally get to see exactly how the two got switched!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 26, 2018 8:19 AM

Nov 2009
HOLY COW I legit didn't expect that twist at all and the story is actually really sad, I thought they were just the usual childhood friends but this has another layer to it and they really hit a home run here with this episode.
Apr 2, 2018 3:48 PM

May 2012
Quite nice focus shift, really like some focused character episodes for a change! The pacing was a bit slower than the previous episodes... but still quite a nice episode!
Nov 22, 2018 10:56 AM

May 2018
Holy shit this was such a beautiful episode! Poor Princess and Ange.

Princess: "Why do you call me Princess?"

Ange: "It's simply out of respect."

Best episode so far. 5/5
Apr 29, 2019 7:41 AM

Feb 2012
Oh its genderbent Char and Casval.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 4, 2019 7:01 PM

Jun 2014
So, Ange was the real princess all along. How everything happened the way it did was certainly an interesting turn of events.

Jul 26, 2019 2:51 AM

Aug 2017
All right, I understand. The original Princess Charlotte is now Ange and the original Ange is now the Princess Charlotte.

My only issue that both of they are literally identical to one another but.......they are not related!

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 20, 2019 7:34 PM

Jun 2016
Wooooow what a twist man. What a twist all I can say! she had it hard man.
Jan 3, 2020 3:22 PM
May 2018
Christ, I can't believe this backstory, what the hell? Anyway, it pisses me off, I'm angry and sad at the same time, I don't know what to think, but I definitely DON'T like this outcome. I couldn't even finish the episode, straight up just skipped the piano part. Now I feel like dropping this show, not because it's bad or anything, but I just can't take this reality. I don't get why I'm handling this so badly either.
Jan 18, 2020 4:35 PM
Mar 2018
Is it just me or is the order of the "cases" out of any order? Or doesn't it matter, because there is no continuiation in the source as well? Can't tell since I don't read it, but have been bamboozled when characters have been introduced, after they were already in the team in the episodes before...
Dec 26, 2020 7:48 AM

Jul 2017
That was a really damn good episode. I still have problems with the dub for having the girls sound a lot older than how they look and their kid forms did not help the situation, but when it came to the content, it was truly a great episode that showed Ange and the Princess' relationship in the past in the form of a story including how they both switched places for the first time and has been like that till now. Princess Charlotte (formerly Ange) being a poor pickpocket desperate for survival and Ange (formerly Princess Charlotte) being the Princess before switching places and eventually, being separated and trapped in their reverse identities for a whole decade afterwards. The scene with current Ange acknowledging the Princess as the real one and them playing the piano together was a lovely scene to wrap up the episode. Great episode that answered a lot of questions surrounding the history between the two of them, although more world building into the horrors of the revolution would have been appreciated in my opinion, it felt too glossed over here.
May 31, 2021 12:39 AM

Dec 2020
pretty sure we already know that they switched places from when the princess called ange "charlotte" but this was nicely executed. still gonna call blonde girl princess and grey hair girl ange tho
Jul 3, 2021 2:39 AM

Feb 2020
Easily the best episode so far.

Excellent and emotional backstory. That piano scene at the end was very touching.

SerafosJan 11, 1:14 AM
Aug 30, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2017
The Lord O' Reilly mission is one of the tougher ones for the Principal spy team.

Teaching this little girl Julie to pickpocket by being smart, Ange gave her a reason to survive.

But it's not that that takes the cake this episode, it's Ange and Charlotte's backstory, aside from the naming confusion that Ange is Charlotte and Charlotte is Ange, two girls that look alike, but with different expectations and outlook. Not to mention the Revolution that separated the two. The REAL Ange was thrust into monarchy and had to live like how a real princess world, and the REAL Charlotte was just awaiting for the reunion between the both of them to run away together.

With Julie's help, it was more than enough for Ange to figure out with the Duke of Normandy's game. All that in the next episode, but for now, it's Ange and Charlotte's piano duet of the ED ending things on an amicable note.
Aug 31, 2021 11:20 AM

Jun 2016
That's an amazing coincidence; two kids the same age, same eye colour, same hair colour, that also look the same and live near enough to each other. What are the chances of that?

Sad backstory, I guess. Not entirely unexpected tho given the blatant hints throughout the other eps.

Ange saved the kids. Bless that girl.

Apr 24, 2022 2:01 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The Princess and the Pauper- rather, the Princess and the Spy...

...or actually, the Spy and the Spy.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 24, 2022 1:39 PM

Nov 2013
Wow, didn't expect the plot-twist! Princess isn't a princess. A bit too far-fetched though. 9 languages, piano, dance... and how did the actual, sheltered princess survive in the cruel wild world outside?!
Nov 18, 2022 9:10 PM
Jul 2018
Omg i enjoyed this anime very much
Dec 25, 2022 9:18 PM

Dec 2022
Great episode giving us the backstory of Ange and Charlotte, beautifully executed on the case they were doing in this episode and how both of our main leads led to the accidental swap. I feel so much sympathy to Charlotte on how much pressure she had to go through when she was an impostor to the whole kingdom and had to become perfect just for her to survive. Overall, an amazing episode that I am truly intrigued on how this series will end.

Jan 2, 2023 6:06 AM

Apr 2013
So we finally get some backstory and Ange and Charlotte. Funny that "Ange" would take on the name of her best friend as a coverup name. Though I guess at this point, she is more Ange than the real Ange.
GatorJan 3, 2023 4:34 AM
Jan 10, 2023 1:17 PM

Dec 2018
masterpiece of an episode. i don't say that often but this was awesome. i hope all of the kids are going to the orphanage and not just the girl.
Jan 31, 2023 10:21 AM

Oct 2018
The ol' switcheroo
~Spiritual Healing~

Jun 22, 2023 6:19 AM

Jun 2019
A-Simple-Squire said:
That's an amazing coincidence; two kids the same age, same eye colour, same hair colour, that also look the same and live near enough to each other. What are the chances of that?

Sad backstory, I guess. Not entirely unexpected tho given the blatant hints throughout the other eps.

Ange saved the kids. Bless that girl. 
Well, having two kids the same age (that's basically everyone in the same grade of school), same eye color (how many are there?), same hair color (how many are there?), and living near to each other isn't really anything uncommon. So the only real coincidence is them otherwise looking like each other.
Sep 3, 2023 10:22 AM

Nov 2011
Not sure if I can add sth new to discussion on this episode. I also liked the reveal aspact, and I think since ep01 this one was the best. :)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

132 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

205 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.