Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2015 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh that blue haired girl Piyo-tan has some problems with Nyaa-tan.

One thing about the "battle" this episode is that it tested their mental powers ranger than pure physical. A game of shogi requires some clever thinking right? Well played Nyaa-tan.
Jun 4, 2015 9:18 AM

May 2015
piyo-tan is love, piyo-tan is lfe <3
Jun 4, 2015 10:12 AM

Aug 2010
Dat training tho! Never thought of seeing such intense training for Shogi, or any board game :O

Too bad Piyo-tan forgot D: But well Nya-tan did develop a bit. She was close to remembering stuff too.
Jun 4, 2015 10:29 AM

Jul 2014
Well, that was fun. I'm glad that we finally got the Piyo-tan episode that I've been waiting on for a few weeks. Also, this episode gave me some idea of how to play shogi, so that's something.
Jun 4, 2015 11:08 AM

Dec 2013
A relatively chill episode for once. Fits with the theme. I never had the chance to pick up shogi, so the theme for this episode kinda flew over my head a bit. Still, I'm surprised at just how much work and effort goes into learning it all. Having played chess, I kind of understand the visual imaging and playing several steps ahead of your opponent inside your head, but the Chinese proverbs and hitting the books like that was a big surprise. I wonder just how helpful those strategy books are...

And is it just me, or does Piyo-tan look even cuter in her chibi-battle mode? Thought I was watching a character from Persona. All that swag, such a big contrast from when she reverts back into goldfish mode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jun 4, 2015 11:30 AM

Apr 2010
So Shogi is a battle and a very intense one.
Looking at the training they underwent in order the gain the knowledge...

Well it was nice to see Piyo-tan's strong point.
Jun 4, 2015 12:57 PM

Oct 2014
This was such a boring episode imo. Took my like 50min to get past because of pauses xP

Meh, hope the next one is better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2015 1:05 PM

Oct 2011
Thank you for the Shogi lesson. Will try to play it now
Jun 4, 2015 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
That was one tough Shogi training for Nyaa-tan.
Jun 4, 2015 1:19 PM

Nov 2013
This episode... TOO DEEP 4 ME!
Jun 4, 2015 1:43 PM

Aug 2014
Whoa this episode is so intense. Honestly, the mental strength battle makes me wanna play Shogi

And what's with those moves?? Are they legitimate moves or just made up ones? Like Nekodamashi?

I mean if I play Shogi and bring those moves out it'd be like calling out a move in SSB4 or something
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2015 3:38 PM

Oct 2014
Finally, Piyo-tan episode~ <3 And the battle was intense.

Nya-tan´s training was tough, but funny X3

Shogi is the universe!
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Jun 4, 2015 3:41 PM

Nov 2012
This episode was kind of interesting....
Love Piyo tan, her chibi version was kind of cute
Jun 4, 2015 3:44 PM

Apr 2015
Some parts are boring.... but that training though.....
#CHEXIT
Jun 4, 2015 4:41 PM

Sep 2008
Finally, best girl episode.
Jun 4, 2015 5:59 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
I've never played shogi before, and even with the explanations taught from this episode, it was still a bit hard for me to follow and understand the basic rules of the game. Nevertheless, this was still a very fun episode, just like all the past episodes of Etotama.

Nyaa-tan had an intense Shogi training and she pretty much nailed the game at the end. Nyaa-tan had some nice character development and learned some shogi but her calmness was gone by the end of the episode. Still, it was nice to see Nyaa-tan looking calm and composed for once. She had a tough time in the middle of the game against the Shogi Master, Piyo-tan, but she won with an unique unpredictable move. If she would play shogi again, then she would probably be a tough opponent to beat since she's already learned the moves. :D

During Nyaa-tan's training, I was observing the different penalties at the beginning until this showed up:

I noticed that the only Eto-Shin who were watching Nyaa-tan train are the only ones who support Nyaa-tan. So I'm guessing Usa-tan, Shar-tan, Uma-tan, and Mei-tan are at the Café?
Jun 4, 2015 6:37 PM

Apr 2014
Chibi Piyo-tan is soo cute in her little chicken suit :3

Shogi is actually pretty fun once you get good at it

Jun 4, 2015 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
Who know that training for shogi just so harsh
Jun 4, 2015 8:51 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Shogi training scenes were pretty good. For once, Nya-tan actually trained before facing her next opponent, which should've happened way before when she went against Shima.

Well, Nya-tan won fare and square, but that's only because she's the MC. Otherwise, a short period of training shouldn't have been effective against someone like Piyo-tan who has been playing Shogi for a lot longer than her.
I also feel like Takeru is cheating by interfering in the battle and cuing Nya-tan. Why is it even allowed for a human to meddle whist a match is ongoing?

Average episode. Looks like Moo-tan's perverted gimmicks will return next week.

Jun 4, 2015 10:31 PM

Apr 2012
my zodiac is finally get episode :D
i found Piyo-tan is the most sexy from among the zodiac

Shogi is the Universe xD

dat harsh training, Nya-tan become cool XD

next week "Eternal Pervert"? xD

Jun 4, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2013
Was that a Hunter X Hunter reference @ 14:28?
Or was I just imagining those eyebrows...

Thought this was a good episode. A very chill change of pace.
Played with cliches really well and gave a good sense of resolution.
Didn't the cow already give up her seal though /:

My review is like a mountain, unchangeable within a human lifespan.
ScherezadeJun 4, 2015 10:42 PM
Jun 5, 2015 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
Was expecting Uri-tan to die in this episode (perhaps impaled by one of the spears?)...she didn't

Also Mo-tan again next episode? Nya-tan already got her seal though so this will be interesting.
Jun 5, 2015 6:36 AM

Dec 2010
...pretty serious episode next up must be full of gag
Jun 5, 2015 6:41 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, getting skilled in Shogi is a serious business. They aren't joking! O.o
Either way, the training was pretty funny. Btw, there are no rabbit, horse, snake and sheep at all in this episode!

Intense duel for sure, despite my reaction throughout that shogi battle is pretty much the same as Shima-tan.. xP
Good going Nya-tan! 3 more left!
Jun 5, 2015 7:50 AM

Nov 2011
Less fun than usual, but also more concrete in terms of growth regarding the character of Nya-tan. Narration strangely serious and not rushed in the construction of the clash. Piyo-tan showed a side of the character that I did not expect, better like this, the clash was the most interesting. Drawings and animations as good quality. Too bad that we have not mentioned something more about the character of Piyo-tan.
Jun 5, 2015 8:03 AM

Jun 2013
well that was kinda boring
Jun 6, 2015 1:07 AM

Apr 2015
Not such a fun episode for a viewer with no knowledge whatsoever on that game. It just seemed strange and boring. Takeru is really annoying at this point. And, what, she suddenly wins from a hopeless situation with approximately zero context?

They should definitely stick with comedy as much as they can since they excel in it(the best part of this episode were the short outbursts by the Ami/Mami duo), and they always fail with serious scenes.
Jun 6, 2015 2:47 PM

Jul 2009
So we have a shogi battle rather than a fight this time ... not bad! The training sure was intense :P Piyo-tan seems to be really good at it, but I think having Nya-tan win after just training and then being down too is a bit farfetched ... well, I suppose they needed to have her win but still >_< Ah well, it was decently entertaining I guess :P
So we have the cow/ox episode next? :O Hmm, this should be interesting ... Nya-tan's at 9 seals now, so only 3 more to go!
Jun 8, 2015 4:07 PM

Feb 2014
Good episode, had some funny stuff in it. Wasn't entirely sure what was going on with the shogi stuff though lol.

Imagine if Piyo-tan had a pedometer. She herself would forget why she had it one but then everyone else would be like: "omg look at how many things you've forgotten!" xD
Jun 8, 2015 10:15 PM
Jul 2012
Well the anime took a different turn this week from the usual slapstick comedy, with a shogi episode. Personally I didn't mind it. It brings out a much more deeper side to Piyo-tan than we've previously seen / knew even existed, as well as developing Nyaa-tan a bit further. Although there were still some humorous parts. I especially liked the commentaries of the confused Shima-tan, Kii-tan and Inu-tan, definitely resonated with most of the viewers outside of Japan for sure haha.

Vindstot said:

I also feel like Takeru is cheating by interfering in the battle and cuing Nya-tan. Why is it even allowed for a human to meddle whist a match is ongoing?

I think I remember one of the mid-episode Zodiac precept cards in one of the last few episodes that mentioned it is ok for a human to intervene in an ETM12 battle so long as the human doesn't get hurt, as well as some other bits, can't remember which one though.

Also, next week "Eternal Pervert" featuring Moo-tan? Definitely looking forward to that! This is probably my most hilarious anime this season and I have the feeling next week won't disappoint either. About time Moo-tan got more screen time!
No I don't read manga. Why? Because according to MAL manga readers, all anime is either: too rushed, too slow, anime original, or a terrible adaption. I like to enjoy anime for what it is, anime.
Jun 9, 2015 12:50 PM

Jul 2014
BANISHMENT THIS WORLD!!!!!!
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jun 9, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2013
That was an intense game!!!
Jun 12, 2015 1:59 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Piyo-tan is best Etotama. Besides Chu-tan of course.
Jun 23, 2015 2:07 PM

Nov 2011
this anime is wrong.............
that was fucked up
that wasn't Nyaa-tan
shite
Jul 7, 2015 5:19 PM

May 2012
Not too bad, quite liked the game! Let's see what happens next.
Jul 29, 2015 12:10 PM

Jun 2014
Well this anime flushed itself quickly. It went from having potential and a cool gimmick, to annoying and tedious to watch. Even the writers know...
"-Is this going to be okay?
-What the training?
-...This anime."

I was very much looking forward to some character development between Nyan-tan and Piyo-Tan. But as Nyan-Tan reverted to normal, and Piyo took 3 steps... it all went out the window.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jun 4, 2019 11:11 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm... kinda boring, expected more of a Piyo-tan episode tbh. And next one is Moo-tan again or who is this eternal pervert?
Jan 10, 2020 5:08 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was really some wtf shougi
Feb 23, 2022 11:11 PM

Jul 2019
Didn't expect this view, but I'll take it!

It was a nice episode. I like Piyo-tan and feel bad everytime she forgets. Chibi-Piyo-tan is adorable!
Feb 17, 7:46 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Agreed. I also think Piyo-tan chibi mode is the best among Etotama. Cause of her kuudere side when in chibi mode giving me such an adorable view. In other side, this time Nya-tan side when playing shogi unexpectedly quiet great. Even though i really don't know shit about shogi, since i last watch march comes in like a lion, i think this is not such a bad episode....

Alright then, move on to the next one, which kinda giving me a bad spoiler about Moo-tan. Let's see if its just another gimmick, or a serious matter.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

Poll: » Etotama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2015

78 by badabass »»
Feb 17, 7:10 PM

Poll: » Etotama Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

30 by badabass »»
Feb 17, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Etotama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2015

53 by badabass »»
Feb 17, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Etotama Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 28, 2015

40 by badabass »»
Feb 17, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Etotama Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 21, 2015

43 by badabass »»
Feb 17, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.