Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 21, 2023 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
Nanao...the hero they deserve.

But seriously, this episode paints the idea that they need to be better prepared. I think even luck played a factor in their survival cause that could've gone way worse. Emotions were running high this episode, especially for Oliver. At least they managed to get out of that mess.
Jul 21, 2023 9:26 AM

Jan 2018
Another really good episode. Really love Chela. That Nanao flashback was nice. 
Jul 21, 2023 9:57 AM

Aug 2017
Chela is really the mother of the group and her helping Nanao was nice to see. I like her and Nanao so much already.

This Andrews just doesn't give up..
Jul 21, 2023 10:06 AM
Feb 2022
ummm me Like this good stuff
Jul 21, 2023 10:06 AM
Sep 2021
Nanao's past was widely shown and focused this episode but what intrigued me are the magic shown this episode. Really it's an interesting world. Really JC staff has made a good show.
Jul 21, 2023 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
I find Nanao really damn cute for some reason
I was curious about her and I got what I wanted. Seems like this world is just like ~19th century but with magic.
Me when there is romance in a non-romance anime: q(≧▽≦q)

This episode title: ソルジャー(死兵)— Soldier (Death soldier)
Next episode title: コロシアム(円形闘技場)— Colosseum (Circular arena)
Jul 21, 2023 10:17 AM
Jun 2019
Bro all these characters are so unlikeable. I doubt the author has ever been in a conversation with people, or even has any friends
Jul 21, 2023 10:27 AM

Oct 2017
After the cliffhanger from last episode nothing much really happened in the dungeon. We just got to see a bit of those three senior students powers. Though Nanao finally changed her mind on ending her life thanks to her friends. Her belief was kinda dumb but well that was how she was raised so it's not really her fault for thinking like that. Also her backstory was okay. Duel with Andrews coming, he's probably upto no good. Btw the teacher mentioned there being six spellblades but anime title is seven spellblades, something's up. Maybe MC is the last hidden spellblade or something?
Jul 21, 2023 10:32 AM
Sep 2020
it's getting better, it has potencial
Jul 21, 2023 10:44 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Hm it was okay. Nothing special. I hope for some dark stuff in the next episodes.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jul 21, 2023 10:45 AM

Feb 2021
Since there are 6 known spellblades, then the title of the show suggests a seventh unknown spellblade...
Jul 21, 2023 10:45 AM

Dec 2020
Sheesh Oliver has to say it that Nanao cant put her life on line so eazy but i would say she had win this fight.
Of course oliver has now two girls that have a crush on him.
Looks like Andrew want a fight against nanao and oliver.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jul 21, 2023 10:46 AM

Feb 2019
Jeevzsk said:
Bro all these characters are so unlikeable. I doubt the author has ever been in a conversation with people, or even has any friends

You haven’t even finished volume 1 btw and you’re writing off the characters lmao. Go watch JJK or some man
Jul 21, 2023 10:47 AM
Nov 2021
Is this show good?I have it on my watchlist but the score is very low
Jul 21, 2023 10:48 AM

Feb 2019
Another awesome episode from JC staff. This one’s really broken into 3 parts. The first of which showcases just how wild the labyrinth can get at night. It’s a really a dark zone of sorts where anything imaginable can happen. Murder, kidnap, duels between senpai etc.

Love how they visualised Ophelia’s ability. Shows the terrifying sense of euphoria she gets from giving birth as well. Carlos is here! Wow they look even more androgynous in the anime lol, pp very confused. The first years definitely got a lesson in why they shouldn’t roam around at night though.

The second part gave us a background story on Nanao. It’s no wonder she has some questionable social skills given all she’s known is war and bloodshed from a young age. But, now that she’s got a group of friends who accept her for who she is and value her life, she’ll be able to move forward. Love that little heart to heart with everyone.

Third part gives some insight into some of the issues going on in this world, particularly the magical animal rights issues. Ngl as I’ve said last week, I’m not a big fan of how heavy volume 1 leaned into this stuff. Not an animal guy myself but I do respect the level of worldbuilding and effort that went into it, so hats off to Uno sensei.

And of course we end on the duel set up between Oliver and Andrews. Can’t wait for next week.
Marinate1016Jul 21, 2023 10:55 AM
Jul 21, 2023 10:48 AM

Feb 2019
KOLOPS said:

Imagine using MAL scores to determine if something is good lmao. Read the premise and determine for yourself. Yes, it’s the AOTS.
Jul 21, 2023 10:49 AM

Jul 2021
That whole troll segment reminded me of when Hermione wanted to save that hippogriff in the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Jul 21, 2023 10:51 AM

May 2020
What kind of backstory was that lol? Just what they wanted me to feel??? She feels regret because she killed that so-called great warrior without even realizing.. WHAT??? LMAOOO.
Jul 21, 2023 10:52 AM

Jul 2021
Marinate1016 said:
KOLOPS said:

Imagine using MAL scores to determine if something is good lmao. Read the premise and determine for yourself. Yes, it’s the AOTS.

Everyone knows MAL scores aren't accurate but I'm sure we can all agree if the show doesn't pass 7 it's obviously flawed. Like really anything decent on this site can get an 8, so If a show can't even pass 7 , there's something wrong.
Jul 21, 2023 10:54 AM

Feb 2019
Cestlavie_ said:
Marinate1016 said:

Everyone knows MAL scores aren't accurate but I'm sure we can all agree if the show doesn't pass 7 it's obviously flawed. Like really anything decent on this site can get an 8, so If a show can't even pass 7 , there's something wrong.

No that’s not really true. So we can’t all agree. Just like I don’t agree that FMA is anywhere close to the best anime ever.
Jul 21, 2023 11:25 AM

May 2022
Marinate1016 said:
Cestlavie_ said:

No that’s not really true. So we can’t all agree. Just like I don’t agree that FMA is anywhere close to the best anime ever.

I’ve enjoyed shows that have had scores under 7. For me they’re like hidden gems that people were too quick to give up on them. So far this show is really enjoyable and I’m looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 21, 2023 11:29 AM

Feb 2019
CHT13 said:
Marinate1016 said:

I’ve enjoyed shows that have had scores under 7. For me they’re like hidden gems that people were too quick to give up on them. So far this show is really enjoyable and I’m looking forward to the next episode.

Exactly that’s why scores are meaningless because you have to remember the age and demographics of the average MAL user. Shonentard, younger, and short attention span. Nanatsuma is focusing on world building and not a lot of action or ufo/MAPPA animation so people are rating it lower. Also it’s stupid that MAL even allows scoring at this point.
Jul 21, 2023 11:58 AM

Jun 2021
I'm glad Nanao changed her perspective on life. I can relatively feel the other characters now because of the support they're giving to her.
A duel's incoming...
Jul 21, 2023 12:10 PM

Dec 2021
Wow, that has to be the quickest birthing scene ever, and it was incredibly intense too. It's astonishing how those two individuals received only a minor reprimand despite the serious allegations associated with their nicknames.

Observing Nanao is effortlessly cutting down someone, only to later discover that it was the very person she challenged to a duel, was a chilling display. It not only highlighted the vast gap in their skills but also showcased how emotionally detached she has become in her swordsmanship.

Now, I don't condone the use of the pain curse on Katie, but it's frustrating to see her act so recklessly in this episode when the previous one had Oliver advising her to work within the system instead of throwing tantrums, as it wouldn't lead to any progress.

Jul 21, 2023 12:13 PM
Jul 2023
Hmm..
I think after three episodes I am going to have to drop this show. Great animation and visuals. However the characters and story need some work, a bit too generic and predictable for my liking, but I can see the appeal.

I wouldn't say it's a bad show. I see there's a lot of controversy about the score. MAL scores are not as unreliable as many commenters are saying. 6.9 is not a bad score by any means, 5/10 is average, 6/10 is above average, 7/10 is good, 8/10 is great, 9/10 is amazing and 10/10 is perfection.

I think it is a fair rating for what we have seen so far. Somewhere between above average and good aka between 6-7.
There's no shame in enjoying this show, I've enjoyed quite a few shows in the 6-7 range of MAL. But for those saying this is a masterpiece, I'm sorry but no. This doesn't compare with many shows in MAL with an 8.5+ rating. While MAL scores are not gospel, it's certainly far from being useless. FMAB may not be the GOAT, but it's definitely in a different league to this show. Even if you don't think it deserves the number 1 spot (I don't either) it's ridiculous to compare this show to FMAB, if you truly believe this then, I'm sorry but you have no taste in media...
Jul 21, 2023 12:24 PM

Jun 2015
Not only have I decided Nanao is best girl. Ive also settled on the idea that she is also my MC for the show. This came to me at the start when she cut through the bone wall thing and her lines. It was a squeepig moment. Then later in the eps with the troll, she was clearly about to attempt to cut down the instructor had people with words not intervened. Love it!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 21, 2023 12:34 PM

May 2022
Marinate1016 said:
CHT13 said:

Exactly that’s why scores are meaningless because you have to remember the age and demographics of the average MAL user. Shonentard, younger, and short attention span. Nanatsuma is focusing on world building and not a lot of action or ufo/MAPPA animation so people are rating it lower. Also it’s stupid that MAL even allows scoring at this point.

The scoring system and the preliminary reviews need to be completely revised. Basing what you watch on either of those can make you miss out on great stories and characters. I’m the type of person that will give any story a chance regardless of demographic or genre.
Jul 21, 2023 12:40 PM
Sep 2016
This EP rushed much?

I don't read the LN, so I can't really say much about the source, but it seems like this EP just rushed and compressed several volumes (I'm exagerating ofc) of LN materials into a single EP. This leads to the disastrous pacing of the EP.
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Jul 21, 2023 12:42 PM

Jul 2021
CHT13 said:
Marinate1016 said:

There's nothing wrong in enjoying shows below 7, even I have, but it's not because the show is well written or anything, it's what u call guilty pleasure or whatever.
I'm saying if a show is below 7 there are obviously flaws with it.
Marinate1016 said:
CHT13 said:

Implying scores are completely meaningless isn't very reasonable. It's an indicator of what the general community thinks and dumbing the community down to young shonentards is just being biased, there are a lot of none action dialogue heavy shows that'll scare the "average Shonentard" away with very high scores.
ocarinaoftime97 said:
Hmm..
I think after three episodes I am going to have to drop this show. Great animation and visuals. However the characters and story need some work, a bit too generic and predictable for my liking, but I can see the appeal.

I wouldn't say it's a bad show. I see there's a lot of controversy about the score. MAL scores are not as unreliable as many commenters are saying. 6.9 is not a bad score by any means, 5/10 is average, 6/10 is above average, 7/10 is good, 8/10 is great, 9/10 is amazing and 10/10 is perfection.

I think it is a fair rating for what we have seen so far. Somewhere between above average and good aka between 6-7.
There's no shame in enjoying this show, I've enjoyed quite a few shows in the 6-7 range of MAL. But for those saying this is a masterpiece, I'm sorry but no. This doesn't compare with many shows in MAL with an 8.5+ rating. While MAL scores are not gospel, it's certainly far from being useless. FMAB may not be the GOAT, but it's definitely in a different league to this show. Even if you don't think it deserves the number 1 spot (I don't either) it's ridiculous to compare this show to FMAB, if you truly believe this then, I'm sorry but you have no taste in media...

Exactly
Jul 21, 2023 12:48 PM

Feb 2019
CHT13 said:
Marinate1016 said:

The scoring system and the preliminary reviews need to be completely revised. Basing what you watch on either of those can make you miss out on great stories and characters. I’m the type of person that will give any story a chance regardless of demographic or genre.

Good to see there’s still people with brains on this site. Have yourself a wonderful day
Jul 21, 2023 12:50 PM

May 2022
Marinate1016 said:
CHT13 said:

Good to see there’s still people with brains on this site. Have yourself a wonderful day

You enjoy your day as well.
Jul 21, 2023 1:16 PM
Jul 2022
Marinate1016 said:
CHT13 said:

U clearly aren't one of them 😭 are ur standards in the gutters did u imply this shit is better than FMAB
Jul 21, 2023 1:24 PM
Apr 2022
Nanao giving up on her oath and trying to look more on Oliver and not his sword is amazing..

That Andrew yatsu is again trying to make problems.
Although Nanao and Oliver swear to themself, they will never fight each other anymore..
Jul 21, 2023 1:27 PM

Oct 2015
KOLOPS said:

The animation is good. Otherwise, no not really. The writing is pretty bland and the character writing is shallow. As for overall story-plot we kinda have nothing outside a few hints that suggest it exists and this won’t be SoL. The magic system and setting are a bit interesting but would like to see it get more in-depth development from now on. Rest of the world building mainly consists of name dropping a few places and giving their geographical position with one notable feature.
Jul 21, 2023 1:29 PM

Dec 2016
I like parts of the world[building] and a couple of the characters are cool/cute. But I have a few minor gripes: why does it feel like I'm watching at 2x speed? And despite what seems to me like incredible pacing, exposition is still lacking even after an hour's worth of content.

Perhaps it's one of those that'd be much better to binge in one go. I'm reminded of Shield Hero and maybe even Hunter x Hunter in that respect.

Why would I spend my time watching shows I don't like? 💢
Jul 21, 2023 1:41 PM

Mar 2022
Jeevzsk said:
Bro all these characters are so unlikeable.
Yeah, I tend to agree with you. So far, that seems to be the case. My biggest issue is with Katie. She is literally unbearable. 
Jul 21, 2023 1:47 PM

Oct 2013
Cestlavie_ said:
Marinate1016 said:

True. Although its not always the case, but hey, exceptions exist for many rules. This though? I hated it from the very first moment and dropped mid episode 2 with the duel with that 'why won't you let me kill you? sob' crap, the writing and interactions are just insufferable and idiotic, the format of presentation, directing and amount of characters really throws you off too.
Jul 21, 2023 1:53 PM
Nov 2022
imagine fighting some hot chick and she fucking gives birth in front of you to some fuckijg blob may god bless my brain
Jul 21, 2023 2:00 PM

Sep 2018
I wanted to like this show, and I thought the start had promise, but it's just not doing it for me at all now.

It just all seems so forced and horribly clichéd.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jul 21, 2023 2:07 PM

Mar 2022
KOLOPS said:
Based on the first 3 episodes I have to say no. And the score is much higher than it should be imo.
Jul 21, 2023 2:13 PM

Aug 2022
A few words from the people she just met was all it took to rid Nanao of her suicidal thoughts? What the fuck? Has the author of this ever met another human being? Anyways the conversation that the main cast has feel really forced most of the time.

That Andrews guy wants to be Draco Malfoy so bad...
UnknownGhost5Jul 21, 2023 2:24 PM
Jul 21, 2023 2:34 PM
Aug 2020
it was strange today, i didn't really enjoy this episode...

i will try again next week otherwise...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 21, 2023 2:58 PM

Dec 2018
succubus was...disgusting. i like some of the characters and their backstories, i'm guessing more of them will get some development in the future. it was a little awkward how quickly nanao got over her depression, if it were only so easy. still, i liked the episode and i'm sad i have to wait a week to see this duel.
Jul 21, 2023 3:20 PM
Oct 2016
I'm glad they could all convince Nanao to not want to die. She'd been carrying a heavy burden after seeing so much battle in her life. Nanao had accepted not being able to life a good life and walked right into those upperclassmen whom were about to attack. At least there were some other upperclassmen that were good people to counter out the psychos. Oliver pleading with Nanao to not throw her life away was very sweet, he cares for her a lot. Chela made a good case that Nano should look at someone's face equally as their sword. Nanao is very battle focused but its good for her to let go of that mindset. Leading to that cute moment with Nanao getting all up in Oliver's face. They already male a good couple even if Katie protest. Her trying to save that goblin from being killed is very noble. I like how there's not just scumbag teachers there but we've seen some good ones too. Their sword training teacher coming to the rescue from that horrible teacher hurting Katie was nice. A mixture of good and bad people at this school. It seems like most run rampant unless put in check.
Jul 21, 2023 3:30 PM
Nov 2021
Nanao certainly got over a lifetime of lived experience and trauma oftly quick.

It was incredibly unnerving how flippantly Whats-his-face intervened during brutal war combat. This show seems to be going for a Elaina approach with regards to Mage ethics.

Also, Luna and Snape join the fray
Jul 21, 2023 3:56 PM

Mar 2010
Softhenic03 said:
What kind of backstory was that lol? Just what they wanted me to feel??? She feels regret because she killed that so-called great warrior without even realizing.. WHAT??? LMAOOO.
The point was undersatnd her point of view of reaction to Oliver duel was.

UnknownGhost5 said:
A few words from the people she just met was all it took to rid Nanao of her suicidal thoughts? What the fuck? Has the author of this ever met another human being? Anyways the conversation that the main cast has feel really forced most of the time.

That Andrews guy wants to be Draco Malfoy so bad...
...Did understand anything about her problems? Nanao is suicidal because she has a narrow view of the world. She grew up in a war torn land where all until just recently she was suddenly pucked out from at verge of death. So the fact she here after fighting all her life sounds so crazy to her the this might just be an illusion. Chea's point's that it is not. Place she is in is real as everyone around her, (this why also holding her hand to push the point) and she should start living a new life that isn't bound to just combat. Where she came expressing one admiration, respect and love through duels might be normal but she doesn't have to live like that here. Oliver didn't rejecting her custom is not end of their relationship, they just don't have bond that way. Starting from now she slowly learn to deprogram throe bad habits. Desiring suicide was only end result of her disillusionment not the core problem. What address that disillusionment is what allowed her to move on.
Iron_MawJul 21, 2023 9:01 PM
Jul 21, 2023 4:28 PM

May 2019
Wow, the succubus giving birth instantaneously, ok then. I do wonder what those 2 upper-class students had planned with the 1st years, such as were they going to kidnap them or just interrogate?

Getting backstory on Nanao helped me understand why she was so intense in the duel with Oliver in the previous episode and also why she put her life on the line in the first episode against the troll. Speaking of the troll, I do recall that someone had made one of the girls (I think  Katie) run into the troll which essentially spooked and made him aggressive so maybe they will get to the bottom of that? We'll see.
Jul 21, 2023 5:05 PM

Feb 2019
RHinoManer22 said:
Marinate1016 said:

U clearly aren't one of them 😭 are ur standards in the gutters did u imply this shit is better than FMAB

Awww, keep crying.

I didn’t imply, I stated. Yes nanatsuma is clear of that.
Jul 21, 2023 5:52 PM

Apr 2013
ocarinaoftime97 said:
Hmm..

So hmm, by sheer curiosity, since you say it's too predictable, surely you can predict what will happen or something ? Can you predict something incoming ( that wasn't already announced to come, I mean) ? Bonus question, can you actually predict what's the protagonist objective in this story ?
Jul 21, 2023 5:59 PM
May 2022
I think I’ll give it 2 more episodes. Premise isn’t bad and some of the characters have potential. It still could be a lot better. I don’t like using generic but I need some more out of the characters and story for me to continue past episode 5.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

223 by AtotehZ »»
Oct 9, 7:29 AM

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.