Forum Settings
Forums

The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST

New
Aug 2, 2021 1:09 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
After long and careful consideration, the moderating team has decided to close the Current Events board.

Over the years, CE has become more and more of a toxic place. Three years ago, we modified the board rules in an attempt to curb the worst of these threads: clickbait/sensationalist topics posted more to get a reaction than to have meaningful discussion.

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped much.

Problematic threads which are against the rules continue to be posted on a regular basis, despite constant moderator intervention. Even harmless threads often become problematic threads from a handful of bad actors who either skirt the rules or create troll accounts to stir up drama.

Of all new posts on the public forum, CE accounts for less than 1% of them (0.98%). However, CE takes much more than 1% of the moderation team's attention and time. Our report queue is regularly filled to the brim with CE problems, slowing our response time to more active areas of the forum: namely, Anime Discussion and Anime Series sub-boards.

And ultimately, MyAnimeList is an anime website; it is not a political or news forum.

The Current Events board was born out of a desire for more "serious" conversations to be separated from more "casual", but these topics can no longer be discussed seriously without continuous moderator presence. Even if we had 2x, or 5x, or 10x as many moderators as we do now, the question would remain if 1/3 to 1/2 of our team should be focused on a board with 1% of the community's activity.

Thus, in the best interests of the community on a whole, we have decided it is finally time to close CE.

The Current Events board will be archived, so users will be able to find old posts they created and will not lose their post counts. Harmless topics which strike up a general conversation (e.g. sports threads) will be accommodated in Casual Discussion going forward. Controversial and/or sensitive topics will not be allowed. We invite users to discuss these topics on other platforms which are more suited to handling them.

To avoid being in violation, please read the updated Casual Discussion rules before posting threads there.

While we regret this action will bring disappointment to some users who enjoy the Current Events board, we hope that you will understand the motivation and careful thought that went into this decision.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 2, 2021 1:26 AM

Jan 2009
lol RIP

but how about anime industry related news that can be controversial? is that not allowed in Anime Discussion and Casual Discussions too?
Aug 2, 2021 1:30 AM

Dec 2018
And nothing of value was lost.

This is probably the best move. It seems that practically every thread on CE ends up in useless bickering, most of the time just because of an ‘us vs them’ mentality.
Aug 2, 2021 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah. That's great news!
Aug 2, 2021 1:35 AM
Oct 2020
ah, it looks like it is beginning to rain

Aug 2, 2021 1:42 AM

Aug 2017
Considering this board has sports discussions, will those be moved to another, such as "Music & Entertainment"?
Aug 2, 2021 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
deadprez said:
Considering this board has sports discussions, will those be moved to another, such as "Music & Entertainment"?

>Harmless topics which strike up a general conversation (e.g. sports threads) will be accommodated in Casual Discussion going forward
Aug 2, 2021 1:54 AM
Oct 2020
maybe instead you should just ban report spammers.
Aug 2, 2021 2:09 AM

Sep 2018
Shame you just can't ban the people acting like idiots.

I agree there's a handful of people with an agenda. I thought CD was far, far worse than CE. 90% of threads are troll threads.

I's just people asking dumb questions. This is just from the top 1/3rd of the first page:
Have you ever eaten a banana in December?
Do females fart?
Are you a sneakerhead?
ever had ice cream for breakfast?
do you ever get sick of being horny
Aug 2, 2021 2:11 AM

Jan 2009
Milzol said:

correct your RIP dates dude lol here https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516079
Aug 2, 2021 2:13 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah better shut down this whole sub-forum rather than rile up conspiracy theory believers and terrorist sympathizers here lol.
justinian_1Aug 2, 2021 2:17 AM
Aug 2, 2021 2:14 AM

May 2021
Noooo this is the saddest news ever, how am I supposed to laugh at ignorant point of views about current events and endless mindless discussions now\

can i suggest an NSFM subforum in replacement?

Aug 2, 2021 2:19 AM

Jan 2009
anyway im fine with this since i too is seeing this board got too much fake news and disinformation and as they say lies spread faster than facts
Aug 2, 2021 2:20 AM

May 2021
deg said:
anyway im fine with this since i too is seeing this board got too much fake news and disinformation and as they say lies spread faster than facts

But it was funny to watch people fighting against that anti vaxx that appeared in every vaccine news

Aug 2, 2021 2:21 AM

Jan 2009
Gween_Gween said:
deg said:

But it was funny to watch people fighting against that anti vaxx that appeared in every vaccine news

well at least i made you happy that way lol he is spreading disinformation like that unknown video URL
Aug 2, 2021 2:24 AM

May 2021
deg said:
Gween_Gween said:

well at least i made you happy that way lol he is spreading disinformation like that unknown video URL

It was like a giant tank fighting against soldiers with wood swords trying to show him that he was wrong, completely destroying the soldiers by the power of ignorance. A wonderful statement

Aug 2, 2021 2:29 AM

Jan 2009
Gween_Gween said:
deg said:

It was like a giant tank fighting against soldiers with wood swords trying to show him that he was wrong, completely destroying the soldiers by the power of ignorance. A wonderful statement

yep you cannot win against disinformation so easily
Aug 2, 2021 2:30 AM

Oct 2010
I don't agree with this decision, why is it so hard to moderate CE?
Aug 2, 2021 2:38 AM

May 2021
Catalano said:

If you are aware of the current status of mass social media, many of them have trouble and have to keep check against misinformation by people and algorithms (I have a teacher in my university that works as a consultant because of her investigation on mass misinformation and fake news). It is actually a huge job to do so, this is a complete comprehensible and sensible decision based on such and the fact that taking an stance against such problematic issue shouldnt be such a burden for them. CE is a cesspool of misinformation and toxic ego discussions

Aug 2, 2021 2:43 AM

Oct 2010
Gween_Gween said:
Catalano said:

If you are aware of the current status of mass social media, many of them have trouble and have to keep check against misinformation by people and algorithms (I have a teacher in my university that works as a consultant because of her investigation on mass misinformation and fake news). It is actually a huge job to do so, this is a complete comprehensible and sensible decision based on such and the fact that taking an stance against such problematic issue shouldnt be such a burden for them. CE is a cesspool of misinformation and toxic ego discussions

misinformation doesn't matter, we are free to read stuff and believe them or not
Aug 2, 2021 2:48 AM

May 2021
Catalano said:
Gween_Gween said:

misinformation doesn't matter, we are free to read stuff and believe them or not

It does matter though, that is why it is being regulated. You cant trust the general public to have enough critical thinking to filter them. This is a consequence of the internet, we are not prepared to have a free flux of information because it creates snowball effects

Aug 2, 2021 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
Gween_Gween said:

"misinformation doesn't matter" this sounds like "it's okay to believe that earth is flat, it's okay to be dumb"
Aug 2, 2021 3:02 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Eh... I see. Overall, I enjoyed Current Events over these past 4 years that I have been on the website, but maybe this will be for the better.

I believe it is not very hard to identify alt accounts and people acting in bad faith, but I cannot argue with the 1% argument.
Aug 2, 2021 3:08 AM

Jul 2020
FINALLY! This board was useless anyway. You'll find any kind of toxicity in the replies.
And ultimately, MyAnimeList is an anime website; it is not a political or news forum.

YES!!

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 2, 2021 3:16 AM

Feb 2012
About time you guys acted. I've been lurking some of the topics from time to time and its pure shithole (pardon the word) and some posters are literally brain dead.

Fully support and respect this decision.
Aug 2, 2021 3:36 AM

Feb 2020
Kinda glad to be honest. All this ever was, was copy-pasting an Article (sometimes behind a paywall, so haven't even got a clue about what's being discussed) and everyone arguing over it 🙄
Aug 2, 2021 3:58 AM
Oct 2020
Friends, Posters, Lurkers, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Current Events, not to praise it.
The evil that boards produce lives after them;
The good is oft interred with the shut down;
So let it be with Current Event. The noble Luna
Hath told you Current Events was toxic:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Current Event answer’d it.
Here, under leave of Luna and the rest–
For Luna is an honourable woman;
So are they all, all honourable people–
Come I to speak in Current Events funeral.
It was my favourite board, interesting and entertaining to me:
But Luna says it was toxic;
And Luna is an honourable woman.
It hath brought many people home to MAL
Whose topics did the forums fill:
Did this in Current Events seem toxic?
When that the poor have cried,
Current Events hath covered it:
Toxicity should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Luna says it was toxic;
And Luna is an honourable woman.
You all did see that on the forums
I thrice presented bait threads,
Which the community did thrice refuse: was this toxicity?
Yet Luna says it was toxic;
And, sure, she is an honourable woman.
I speak not to disprove what Luna spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love it once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for it?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Current Events,
And I must pause till it come back to me.
MilzolAug 2, 2021 4:08 AM
Aug 2, 2021 4:08 AM

Oct 2020
Gween_Gween said:

lol you don't have to put it like that. That hit hard. /s /s
Aug 2, 2021 4:20 AM

Feb 2019
No... Say it ain't so... Anything but the containment zone!
Aug 2, 2021 4:26 AM

Jul 2007
If it's an issue with people flouting the rules what's going to stop them just posting the same old tripe elsewhere?
Aug 2, 2021 4:48 AM

Sep 2018
Scud said:
If it's an issue with people flouting the rules what's going to stop them just posting the same old tripe elsewhere?

Exactly, they will post it in CD and they won't even need a legitimate source, it could even get worse than it is now.
Aug 2, 2021 5:17 AM

Nov 2020
Good on the mod team to be quite frank.

The only contention I would have is they didn't do it earlier.

I did miss arguing with, to put it kindly, dipshits on immigration and economic policy but I have irl shit to do.
slightycognizantAug 2, 2021 5:23 AM
Aug 2, 2021 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
Rest in piss, you'll be forgotten o7

Now bring back spam board
Aug 2, 2021 5:26 AM
Dec 2017
HAHAHA!!!!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I HEARD ALL DAY!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T SAY I"LL MISS THIS BOARD AT ALL OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

This really is all for the best and i'm honestly really glad that this has happened.

Aug 2, 2021 5:33 AM
Oct 2018
No fucking way, why'd you wanna remove the most entertaining section of the forums lmao. RIP I guess..
--
Aug 2, 2021 5:56 AM

Jun 2011
Milzol said:

Exactly. If the nature of these reports is just something like "this person said something I disagree with" then they are illegitimate.
Aug 2, 2021 6:03 AM

Jun 2019
What kind of moderation are we even talking about? I am not trying to be offensive but I noticed a clear decline in the moderation of both CD and CE.

Because contrary to what happened last year for example, we had in the past few months many threads in both CD and CE that either were obviously controversial for CD (about political things) or simply failed to respect the basic rules of CE to use a credible source, and almost none got locked. I am probably not allowed to mention any names, but such threads got closed immediately in the past. And when you see that on the first page a single user created more than ten threads, it is not too difficult to see where the problem truly lies: a few users have a political agenda. At this rate, it would be advisable to close CD too since one can expect only more controversial threads being created there, and as someone said above, without even having to use a credible source.

Example of a thread in CD that is there since two weeks and breaks the rules by its title only:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1940985

This old thread was revived and not closed immediately:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1893033

Otherwise, this is great, I will basically stop posting here, which was mostly a waste of time I must say.
Aug 2, 2021 6:16 AM

Jul 2019
I don't post here that much, but I do hear a lot of bad things that go down here lmao. Oh well, I am not entirely sure who will miss this place anyways.
Aug 2, 2021 6:22 AM

Mar 2014
Good. The next step is to purge all boards not pertaining to anime/manga specific discussions
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 2, 2021 6:24 AM

Sep 2020
Mal forums kinda died out as far as any political/philosophical topic with actual quality discussions go back when CD rules been changed, this just seems like an obvious next step, as that already showed that admin team want to reduce forums to just anime related talk and meaningless chit chat. There where also way more active user that could make actual arguments in those days. Honestly I don't care much now, stopped caring back then, never even posted here that much anyways.

As far as moderation goes, I always had problems with MAL's approach, there where many people who are obvious trolls or just want to hate specific minority demographics and spread their stupidity around. None of them from my memory had been banned, instead we had situation like one infamous ban mistake on one of most well known forums users, and one of most careful and well though out people on this website, that led to them then leaving mal afterwards. Moderation is simple, not that anyone here aims for that as far as I can see.
"My la fleur planting haunted gardens
Where the scars are formed
Pluck my heart like harpsichords
'Til one of ours will wash ashore
Baited breath til sharks'll swarm
Bay of pigs we're art of war
Bayonets I'm marching toward
Lately I've been Lobster Boy" 
                                                  - Sadistik

Aug 2, 2021 6:28 AM

Jul 2021
Hmm this is a pity. Even though I'm not fond of CE: it's boring & yes, it's almost like a clique (most active users know who CE regulars are), it is still a pity to just close it for the reasons mentioned above.

I mean the 1% reason just sounds unfair and demeaning. Also, using the ultimate killing words: ultimately, this is an anime site. Whoa..

I'd say most AD threads are as boring, stupid and toxic as CE's so they should be treated on equal terms. This kind of decision really tickles my vanity. I just can't agree with this.

Also, Rule #7 on CD is even more authoritarian now. If the mods really take that rule seriously, no one can talk about anything at CD.

I mean, meaningful discussions need some spices too. Most CD posters are either college students or working-age adults. Let them behave as adults and use their heads. Let them decide which one is appropriate, which posts are baits, which users are trolls, etc. etc.

Mods should only be needed for explicit posts, for obvious bullying, etc.

Sigh.. This really is such a pity.
Aug 2, 2021 6:37 AM

Feb 2019
First they came for Current Events,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a regular.
Then they came for Casual Discussion
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Aug 2, 2021 6:39 AM

Sep 2020
Kosmonaut said:

To be honest, first they came for CD.
                                                  - Sadistik

Aug 2, 2021 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
It became useless after the new rules. I learned many terms and new words from that board but never dared to post there. Bye to this cancerous board.
Aug 2, 2021 6:44 AM

Feb 2019
GhostOutOfShell_ said:
Kosmonaut said:

Well, CD isn't closing... for now.

Until, after long and careful consideration, the moderating team decides that, ultimately, MyAnimeList is an anime website; it is not a general topics and community-building forum. MyAnimeList invites users to discuss these topics on other platforms which are more suited to handling them.
Aug 2, 2021 6:46 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
good on you MAL team for taking action, there were definitely a lot of toxic threads that constantly showed up and a pretty awful atmosphere that exuded into other sections of MAL formus as well, i hope this will help and not just change the location of all the toxicity (in our city).

i wasn't a particularly active user of this board, even as a lurker i started to stop checking stuff out here, out of fear for my mental health and peace of mind, but my condolences to everybody that liked this cesspool for some reason. whether you pushed ideas and speech that made me think there's still some hope for this site, or whether you made my stomach turn from absolute disgust, that actual people think, spread and perpetuate such vile notions, i hope you'll find your new home of self-expression and comfort soon (hopefully on a different website if i'm perfectly honest).

have a nice day people.
Aug 2, 2021 6:46 AM

Sep 2020
Kosmonaut said:
GhostOutOfShell_ said:

Until, after long and careful consideration, the moderating team decides that, ultimately, MyAnimeList is an anime website; it is not a general topics and community-building forum. MyAnimeList invites users to discuss these topics on other platforms which are more suited to handling them.

CD is not what it used to be, with rule 7 CD is no longer CD, there is no discussion happening there is more like casual chit-chat and pointless listing.
                                                  - Sadistik

Aug 2, 2021 6:49 AM

Jul 2021
LMAO RIP CE this was bound to happen at someday XD

https://voca.ro/18lL240CQoWQ
Aug 2, 2021 6:57 AM
Oct 2015
I'm fine with it, honestly. Never seen much good from here.
Aug 2, 2021 7:00 AM

Feb 2019
GhostOutOfShell_ said:
Kosmonaut said:

CD is not what it used to be, with rule 7 CD is no longer CD, there is no discussion happening there is more like casual chit-chat and pointless listing.
I do think most CE regulars won't just disappear, they'll just move over to CD. Then, in turn, CD will be more trouble than it's supposedly worth. Still, I don't think this is a matter of difficulty of moderation, but rather of investor money.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM

» IOC demanded an explanation from Russian TV for homophobic mocking of LGBTQ athletes at the Olympics

RobertBobert - Aug 5, 2021

5 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.