Forum Settings
Forums

Fourth 'Date A Live' Anime Season Airs in Fall 2021

New
Mar 6, 2021 11:30 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The Date A Live stage at the Light Novel Expo event revealed the main staff, cast, and a teaser visual (pictured) for its fourth anime season on Sunday. Date A Live IV will begin airing in October 2021. The cast members will reprise from the previous anime installments.

Staff
Director: Jun Nakagawa (Date A Bullet: Dead or Bullet, High School Fleet Movie)
Series Composition: Fumihiko Shimo (Musaigen no Phantom World, IS: Infinite Stratos)
Character Design: Naoto Nakamura (High School Fleet, Egao no Daika)
Music: Gou Sakabe (Date A Live, Digimon Adventure tri.)
Studio: GEEK TOYS

Cast
Shidou Itsuka: Nobunaga Shimazaki (Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia)
Tooka Yatogami: Marina Inoue (Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica)
Origami Tobiichi: Misuzu Togashi (Seitokai no Ichizon)
Kotori Itsuka: Ayana Taketatsu (High School DxD)
Yoshino: Iori Nomizu (Sora no Otoshimono)
Kurumi Tokisaki: Asami Sanada (Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's)
Kaguya Yamai: Maaya Uchida (Domestic na Kanojo)
Yuzuru Yamai: Sarah Emi Bridcutt (Shinmai Maou no Testament)
Miku Izayoi: Minori Chihara (Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon)
Natsumi: Ayumi Mano (Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II)

Date A Live adapts Koushi Tachibana's sci-fi romance light novel, which he launched under the Fujimi Fantasia Bunko label in March 2011 with illustrations by Tsunako. Kadokawa published the 22nd and final volume last March. The light novel has a cumulative 6 million copies of its volumes in print.

AIC Plus+ produced the first anime season in Spring 2013. The second season by Production IMS premiered in 10 episodes the following Spring. The Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment anime film screened in Japan in August 2015. Date A Live III, the third and latest season by J.C.Staff, aired in Winter 2019.

Funimation licensed the anime series in North America and released the first two seasons on Blu-ray and DVD in June 2014 and March 2016, respectively. The third season shipped on home video last April.

An anime film adaptation of Yuuichirou Higashide's Date A Live Fragments: Date A Bullet spin-off light novel premiered in two parts on August 14 and November 20 last year.

Source: Press Release, Dengeki Online
VindstotMar 6, 2021 11:35 PM

Mar 6, 2021 11:34 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Oh my, another sequel of something I know, kinda out of nowhere
Almost forgot about this series :)

Who would be the new antagoonist I wonder?

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 6, 2021 11:38 PM

Jan 2015
Thank god GEEK TOYS took over. The 3rd season was arguably the best one imo (mostly thanks to Origami’s arc) so it was very much heavily carried by the plot, but damn that animation was horrendous.

Date a Bullet was much better in terms of visuals, which were quite appealing to the eye. Animation wasn’t that good either but 10x better than J.C. STAFF and that’s for sure

Also, I love the new design. Looks neat. Can’t wait, I’m hyped
Mar 6, 2021 11:57 PM

Aug 2019
hmm I’ve had this in my PTW for a long time, guess I should check it out sometime before this airs
Mar 6, 2021 11:57 PM

Oct 2017
Good to see no JC Staff for this season.
Mar 7, 2021 12:01 AM

Oct 2017
GEEKTOYS animes have good visuals atleast.
Mar 7, 2021 12:05 AM
Aug 2016
This anime can't be damned to stay at the same studio for more than one season to save its life Lmao
Mar 7, 2021 12:10 AM
Jan 2018
This is like the 4 studio change lol
Mar 7, 2021 12:50 AM

Jul 2017
LMAO LOLS

But honestly, this is to be expected.

I'd argue to say that the early days of AIC and Production IMS gave somewhat justice to visuals and the plot altogether, though giving the job to J.C.Staff to revive it after a 5 year gap is just obscene.

Since Geek Toys did the Date A Bullet OVAs, at least it was better and brought back memories of both S1 and S2.

Looking forward to Fall.
Mar 7, 2021 1:25 AM

Sep 2020
Oh boi, a forth one...

Mar 7, 2021 1:35 AM

Jul 2016

RIP DAL I guess lol. The way GEEKTOYS treated Plunderer still pissed me off on how badly they handled the anime compared to the manga.

Xenocrisi said:
Animation wasn’t that good either but 10x better than J.C. STAFF and that’s for sure

You seriously thought GEEKTOYS's animation was good? Lol even J.C at it's worse it still several times WAY better than GEEKTOYS when comes to movement, and I said this as someone who hate how J.C handled their non-Railgun anime in the recent years:

MahiaErebeaNegiMar 7, 2021 2:03 AM
Mar 7, 2021 1:47 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Expected news on this and it turns out that there’s yet another Studio change. Why am I not surprised anymore lol?

Fall 2020 sounds good, here’s to hoping the wonderful folks over at GEEKTOYS get enough time and a good schedule to work on this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 7, 2021 1:50 AM

Jul 2014
Well, at least it's not JC Staff on the animation again, but it's not like GEEK TOYS have the best of track records either. We also have to bear in mind that the two Date a Bullets most likely had theatrical budgets given their release in Japanese cinemas, so I'm not sure how representative of what we should expect we can consider those to be.

Still, even if it does end up having bad animation, hopefully the plot can carry again like it very much did in season 3.
Mar 7, 2021 2:08 AM

Apr 2015
Pretty excited for this and honestly to see another different studio doing the 4th season is less of a bother than it was a few years ago when the 3rd season was done by JC Staff. Visually can't be worse than that 3rd season.
Mar 7, 2021 2:24 AM

Feb 2012
Damn I forgot where did I even stop at this series, was it S2 or that movie they made.

Still happy for any fans following this I guess.
Mar 7, 2021 2:58 AM

Jan 2015
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

RIP DAL I guess lol. The way GEEKTOYS treated Plunderer still pissed me off on how badly they handled the anime compared to the manga.

Xenocrisi said:
Animation wasn’t that good either but 10x better than J.C. STAFF and that’s for sure

You seriously thought GEEKTOYS's animation was good? Lol even J.C at it's worse it still several times WAY better than GEEKTOYS when comes to movement, and I said this as someone who hate how J.C handled their non-Railgun anime in the recent years:

I was talking about Date a Bullet’s animation I don’t care about how they treated Plunderer. DAB’s animation wasn’t really good but not that bad either. And the visuals (and the new designs) were good
XenocrisiMar 7, 2021 3:03 AM
Mar 7, 2021 3:11 AM

Jul 2016
Xenocrisi said:
DAB’s animation wasn’t really good but not that bad either. And the visuals (and the new designs) were gorgeus

You do realize that DAB was movies, right? Two movies combined may only had 60 minutes long, but it's still counts as movie nonetheless. So it's not surprising that the movie's visuals (And budgets) were really good compared to DAL III, which was a TV anime, and that doesn't include how badly J.C animated DAL III for their tight schedule.

What I want to say is that don't put your expectation on visual qualities (And to the lesser extent, pacing) too high as there might have a chance to being at bad or not worse than DAL III, GEEKTOYS's past shows like Plunderer and (Arguably) Hensuki is the best example of bad qualities.
MahiaErebeaNegiMar 7, 2021 3:31 AM
Mar 7, 2021 4:21 AM

May 2018
Another sequel news. Yay!
Mar 7, 2021 5:32 AM

Apr 2012
Is this franchise so popular? I recently found out that they even have a mobile game too.
Mar 7, 2021 6:27 AM
Feb 2019
Hopes for Redoing Volume 12 is now lost... Guess Ill wait for Mukuro and Nia for this heart. Im still bitter that J.C staff butchered Volume 12's adaptation. I just cant..... Well, GEEKTOYS has a lot of reputation, I only hope that after s4, we came to get Kurimi's Arc in s5...
Mar 7, 2021 7:07 AM

Oct 2015
Super excited, just hope 4th season gets same treatment as date a bullet did with GEEKTOYS as the studio loved the visuals there, so iam glad there is no JC Staff anymore, just afraid they might keep the same art style as in previous seasons U_U
Mar 7, 2021 7:13 AM

Jul 2017
Hm, so we finally have a date for the 4th season, and thank god it changed studios, anything but JC Staff..

So, by the cover, i can say the character art style looks slightly different, but it does look good for sure, i don't mind the difference. What i hope is, that GEEK TOYS manages to adapt this season well, because we'll be entering a really important side of the Date a Live story. And i just hope they re-adapt the Itsuka Disaster volume correctly because it has some important content that was left out when it was adapted in just 1 ridiculous episode during the 3rd season. We'll see. Nia and Mukuro's arcs are gonna be quite interesting to see animated, lets just hope it all goes well, fingers crossed.
Mar 7, 2021 7:42 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
aaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

been waitin for this lol
Mar 7, 2021 8:22 AM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
Is this franchise so popular? I recently found out that they even have a mobile game too.
In Japan, not so much. After Mayuri Judgment, not much was done to promote the series.

In China, it is pretty popular. Fans created the Date A Live Spirit Pledge mobile game. The game's profits helped revive Date A Live so it can have DAL III, DAB, and DAL IV. Without Hot game Studio, DAL anime would have ended after Mayuri Judgment.
Mar 7, 2021 12:49 PM

Apr 2012
icefirestone23 said:
RobertBobert said:
In Japan, not so much. After Mayuri Judgment, not much was done to promote the series.

In China, it is pretty popular. Fans created the Date A Live Spirit Pledge mobile game. The game's profits helped revive Date A Live so it can have DAL III, DAB, and DAL IV. Without Hot game Studio, DAL anime would have ended after Mayuri Judgment.

This game was fan made?
Mar 7, 2021 2:12 PM

Jan 2020
lol, still find it funny how each season has been adapted by a different studios. We went from AIC PLUS+ to Production IMS then to J.C.Staff, and now to GEEKTOYS. Hopefully, it's good, as GEEKTOYS hasn't really proven it's self thus far, if it can animate a TV series, and I'm kind of surprised that the main production staff has been changed. Although, each season after season 1, was taken over by a different studio last minute, as AIC was originally going to produce season 2, but they transferred it to IMS (founded by former AIC producers) last minute, with season 3, being transferred to J.C.Staff after IMS' bankruptcy. I still find season 1 the best looking out of all them.
ims-tokyoMar 7, 2021 2:33 PM
Mar 7, 2021 7:47 PM
Mar 2021
Yeah Bois new season waited for so long 😀😀
Mar 7, 2021 7:48 PM
Dec 2017
CKT on twitter is really going to dig this.

Mar 7, 2021 11:22 PM

Oct 2018
Ohhhh, this is it. Time to catch up 3 seasons of Date a Live.
Forum set made by Nate
Mar 8, 2021 3:01 PM

Oct 2015
I need to catch up with this series. Had to give it a break around the second series. Key art looks good though.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Mar 9, 2021 4:17 AM

Nov 2016
why it has so many seasons? why citrus only had one season? 😭
Mar 9, 2021 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
I wasn't expecting this to be honest, the studio was able to salvage another season yet again hopefully it wouldn't be boring
Mar 9, 2021 7:25 PM

Mar 2014
Weird how every season DaL changes studios...cant complain, the S3 had abominable animations. Sad, considering the character design by Neptunia creator were pretty good, and beatiful in Season 1.

And they even compressed vol 12 to one episode, the madmen. WHO imagined this was a smart idea?! Just stop at vol 11, guys...

Not like GEKKTOYS is very good, but staff is more important than studio itself, look at Akudama Drive. Studio Pierrot, yet a beatiful, colorful, vibrant cyberpunk world. So, cautious optimist.

Will they cover up to Mio Game Over? Likely not. The otaku nun and the moon rabbit with jewish space laser (LMAO) will probably be the only covered. Maaaaybe the Nicodemus army arc, but that would be rushed as hell, man.
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Mar 10, 2021 12:08 AM

Apr 2013
DAL seasons somehow don't get better with every iteration, so I'll hold my hype for this one.
Mar 11, 2021 11:11 AM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
icefirestone23 said:

This game was fan made?

Yes, Hot Game Studio is basically a bunch of DAL fans creating an anime. The game gets around $150 K on both Android and IOS every month on Global. Which is alright for an anime game, but by no means a banger. If HGS goes under, very likely there will be no more Date A Live adaptations. So try to support the franchise financially if you want to see future seasons.

People have way too high expectations these days. Now, everyone wants their anime to look like Demon Slayer and be done by Ufotable. We all saw the reaction to Mappa with AOT and Promised Neverland with Cloverworks. Geektoys is by no means a top tier studio. But everyone's expectations are enormously high, especially if you read the novels.

We will have to see what Kadokawa has plans for the 10th anniversary. DAB is rumoured to be ending at the 8th volume, and publishers normally pull the plug on the franchise once source material runs dry.
Mar 11, 2021 11:29 AM

Apr 2012
icefirestone23 said:
RobertBobert said:

This game was fan made?

Yes, Hot Game Studio is basically a bunch of DAL fans creating an anime. The game gets around $150 K on both Android and IOS every month on Global. Which is alright for an anime game, but by no means a banger. If HGS goes under, very likely there will be no more Date A Live adaptations. So try to support the franchise financially if you want to see future seasons.

People have way too high expectations these days. Now, everyone wants their anime to look like Demon Slayer and be done by Ufotable. We all saw the reaction to Mappa with AOT and Promised Neverland with Cloverworks. Geektoys is by no means a top tier studio. But everyone's expectations are enormously high, especially if you read the novels.

We will have to see what Kadokawa has plans for the 10th anniversary. DAB is rumoured to be ending at the 8th volume, and publishers normally pull the plug on the franchise once source material runs dry.

Well, I won't say that I'm a big fan of the franchise, but one of my friends is literally obsessed with it, so I'll recommend the game to him if you like. Although, he probably already knows about it.
Mar 11, 2021 12:15 PM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:
icefirestone23 said:

Well, I won't say that I'm a big fan of the franchise, but one of my friends is literally obsessed with it, so I'll recommend the game to him if you like. Although, he probably already knows about it.

He is probably aware of it since the game page is kind of like the only official Date A Live page on Facebook. Not sure if he is used to spending money into gachas because any practises are likely industry standard. You generally have to get lucky, then whale a little bit for an op Spirit, and then the game becomes instantly more fun and less grindy. I whaled a bit in the game for the EX White Queen ($200-$300), after getting a bit lucky, and I don't regret the purchase one bit since I play the game daily, and makes it so much easier. Not sure if I can spend anymore since I don't really need to do, and I rather just buy Date A Live merchandise after that. Of course, I don't want to tell people to not play or spend in the game. The studio is directly funding DAL seasons.
A good video describing how to make gacha games enjoyable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2GCrF-ieUs
Mar 23, 2021 11:38 AM
Feb 2021
season 4 is the final or theygon make season 5?
Apr 26, 2021 5:39 PM
Nov 2015
Gator said:
DAL seasons somehow don't get better with every iteration, so I'll hold my hype for this one.

Yes, because a very mediocre director has always been directing the anime, and a mediocre director with a mediocre series composition will result in a mediocre adaptation. While the anime has been done by different studios each time, the staff remained the same every time, but for the 4th season, not only are they changing studios again but also the staff too. So a new director and a new series composition are in charge now. Hopefully this new staff adapt this show decently at least once because this franchise has been defiled by Kadokawa and the old staff.
Jun 2, 2021 12:48 AM
Dec 2020
kapan rilisnya ngntod
Jun 7, 2021 6:54 AM
Oct 2020
Wow, i don't believe it that this anime has many seasons, so can beat BNHA seasons in few years
Jun 13, 2021 8:48 AM

Jan 2018
Genshin A Live Impact incoming to your house soon!
Jun 28, 2021 9:11 AM
Nov 2019
Such a good series
Very underrated. Mainly cause of the studios...
The concept the storyline it’s great yeah it has ecchi harem moments but so what...
in its own right it’s a decent anime

And the novel is so good

I doubt the anime will go far as to showing the spirit of origin which I know who it is but I won’t spoilt it for others..
And kurumi’s past.

More topics from this board

» 'Trillion Game' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» Aniplex Announces Lineup for Aniplex Online Fest 2024 [Update 8/30]

Snow - Aug 19

3 by Snow »»
11 hours ago

» 'Kimi wa Meido-sama.' Unveils Additional Staff, Second Teaser Promo

Nioxys - Yesterday

2 by IzayoiSk »»
Yesterday, 9:10 AM

» Madhouse, Cyclone Graphics Adapt 'Wondance' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Aug 21

19 by deg »»
Yesterday, 9:02 AM

» Manga 'Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!!' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Aug 15

29 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 8:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.