Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2020 8:02 AM

Oct 2019
I personally can't stand elitists. There are always a couple of elitist profiles I keep in mind to totally ignore when I'm looking through reviews of anime.. I see them as overly critical people that critique an anime as if it's their profession, oversensitizing an animes weak spots that are usually barely noticeable as if they drag the whole show down. They just set their expectation bars so high for some cartoons that its next to impossible to take them seriously.

Edit: Yea, I understand I have a high mean score, which is probably why I can't stand elitists, but I think people are misinterpreting my reasoning. I dont label people with opinions that conflict with mine 'elitists', I'm referencing to profiles with an awfully low mean score, that shit on every anime they watch and write reviews pointing out the smallest details that upset them as reasoning for lowering the score 5 points. This is completely unbiased and I don't want anyone to misunderstand just because my mean score is in the higher end.

Oh yeah and I didn't know 'elitist' related posts plagued the forums like I've been told so go easy on me
RainbrandJan 10, 2020 5:37 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 2020 8:05 AM
IHaveTrashTaste

Aug 2013
I don't mind them. I don't care for people's opinion so it's natural for me to not mind the elitists.
Jan 10, 2020 8:06 AM

Jun 2017
Elitist is a dead meme but anti-elitists thinking they're everywhere.
Jan 10, 2020 8:07 AM

Jan 2009
as long as there is rankings of scores then there will be elitists imo so just coexist with them already damn it
Jan 10, 2020 8:15 AM

Jul 2019
As long as they don't insult my husbando we're good.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jan 10, 2020 8:16 AM
May 2019
There is nothing wrong with having a critical thinking and pointing out flaws in anime.
GreenClock said:
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.

There is a great E-Kon video were he talks about this issue in greater detail
Jan 10, 2020 8:20 AM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
I haven't really payed attention to Elitist's tbh.

Jan 10, 2020 8:21 AM

Oct 2019
GreenClock said:
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.

I only apply it to people with a low mean score (4.5>) I can take harsh reviews seriously if they dont shit on every anime they watch
Jan 10, 2020 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
I ignore them along with everyone else. The only opinion that matters is my own and the few trash cans that I adore.
@FoxFire75
@photophobic
@Luchse
Jan 10, 2020 8:26 AM
Apr 2011
"Elitism" seems to be mostly used to attack people who are into anime by people who aren't
Jan 10, 2020 9:02 AM

Sep 2014
Elitism is only a behaviour. It tells nothing about their opinion or preference. Thus, as I respect everyone's opinion equally, I'm completely neutral to a pretend elitist's opinion. My personal view on someone's opinion doesn't differ accordingly on the person's behaviour outside of his opinion.
Jan 10, 2020 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
depends on the elitist. most of them are pretty irritating in conversation, but no one forces you to talk to them, so they're not really a bother. that said, their forum posts (whether or not you think they're being serious) are entertaining reads.

so i guess consider them as zoo animals?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Jan 10, 2020 9:19 AM

May 2009
If anyone has the opinion that their taste in anime is better than others' then lords this opinion over others, then I don't like that position. Pretty simple.

Perhaps they may have some interesting things to say. But anything I'm missing out on by ignoring them is negligible.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 10, 2020 9:42 AM

Mar 2018
Last of my problems with the anime community. Plebs with shit taste is a bigger issue right now.
poop
Jan 10, 2020 10:41 AM

Feb 2019
People who bitch about elitists are more annoying.
Jan 10, 2020 10:48 AM

Apr 2016
I'm neutral to them. I think elitists are healthy for the community as long as they're not taken too seriously. Elitists do what they do because they have earned their spot to say what they say through the countless hours of anime they've watched.

HOWEVER, people who are not qualified, people who don't take enjoyment as a factor (with an open mind), and people who are bias, are 100% not alright in anyway. In fact people who are any of the those 3 are probably actually unhealthy for the community and I cannot stand them. Although, this is probably also applicable in other mediums as well, huh?
Jan 10, 2020 10:50 AM

Mar 2018
Well would you look at it! An individual with a high mean score and barely any time spent on anime made a thread that pops up pretty much every day. Mods need to start banning people for rehashing the same things over and over again.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 10, 2020 10:54 AM

Dec 2018
Elitists and the people who constantly complain about elitists ruining everything are equally annoying. I just ignore both. Watch and like/dislike whatever you want, you don’t need justification from others.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

Jan 10, 2020 11:00 AM
Jan 2016
In my experience "Elitists" who post in this forum are people who don't know what criticism actually is and who think their favourites list is an indication of intelligence. If you seriously challenge them they will quickly disappear. Most of the posters here seem very young so the "Elitists"peacock around with meaningless, empty nonsense that impresses the kids because they can't function in an adult conversation.

The intelligent people here likely stick to reviews and their own circle of friends because the forums are a cesspool of idiocy, children and trolls.
Jan 10, 2020 11:04 AM

Oct 2013
I think anyone who's not just putting on an act and truly believes that they're somehow superior to other fans because their taste in anime is so refined (or whatever bullshit they tell themselves) are really close-minded people who's time would probably be better spent trying to find something they actually might enjoy rather than use their hobby to lord their supposed superiority over others.

Again, if you're just putting on an act to mock these type of people, more power to you. Sometimes people need to be knocked down a few pegs.
cythraul said:
People who bitch about elitists are more annoying.

Don't know about that..I often feel like they're both equally annoying. And yes I'm aware of the fact that my post makes me look like I'm just another person bitching about how much I hate elitists, but that wasn't really my intention. I'm just saying, I sometimes say stupid arrogant stuff too, and in those instances it's perfectly reasonable for someone to come in and keep me in check.
Jan 10, 2020 11:07 AM
Jan 2019
Just ignore them. It must be hard containing that superiority complex a lot of them have, let them vent.
Jan 10, 2020 11:16 AM

Feb 2019
Setsuei said:

Don't know about that..I often feel like they're both equally annoying. And yes I'm aware of the fact that my post makes me look like I'm just another person bitching about how much I hate elitists, but that wasn't really my intention. I'm just saying, I sometimes say stupid arrogant stuff too, and in those instances it's perfectly reasonable for someone to come in and keep me in check.
Every community of fans have elitists, normal fans and newbies alike. There are some people who just love to shit on other people and it's best to ignore them instead of feeding them with these kinds of threads. I see this stuff where they say elitists are bad very often and it annoys me equally as some elitists do.
Jan 10, 2020 11:20 AM
Jul 2018
I like elitists. They don't make repetitive threads.
Jan 10, 2020 11:27 AM

Oct 2013
cythraul said:
Setsuei said:

Every community of fans have elitists, normal fans and newbies alike. There are some people who just love to shit on other people and it's best to ignore them instead of feeding them with these kinds of threads. I see this stuff where they say elitists are bad very often and it annoys me equally as some elitists do.

Believe me, I do my best to just ignore them, but sometimes that's easier said than done. As someone who's been judged and shit on for various things throughout my life, these kind of things get under my skin a lot easier than I'd like to admit. But yeah, I get you. Feeding the troll is never a good idea.
Jan 10, 2020 11:29 AM

Nov 2016
I will come back to this thread once I've met one.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2020 11:41 AM

Feb 2019
Xstasy said:
There is nothing wrong with having a critical thinking and pointing out flaws in anime.
GreenClock said:

There is a great E-Kon video were he talks about this issue in greater detail
That video was a really good insight into the matter. It's like you learn something for your life only to get shitted on by bunch of people who don't give more than half a fuck about that thing.
Jan 10, 2020 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
If someone doesn't agree with my just opinion then he's an elitist, right?
Jan 10, 2020 12:47 PM

Nov 2014
I wanted to laugh about another of those topics, but OP leaves something to actually answer to, so I will be serious of once:

First of all, scores don't mean anything. Someone might have average score below 3 simply because he uses 3-score system (bad, nautral, good). They might look differently at meaning of scores too - with 6 being better than average, which means better than most of anime they watched. There are a lot of examples.
With that out of the way, the thing that matters is their argumentation. Even if someone shits on a show, and he has full right to it - because, as we all know, different people find different qualities important - just look at their points. You want a review to tell you about the anime. It might as well be only negatives - at least you will know why someone disliked it, their argumentation might be very valid and point out serious flaws of the show that you would miss yourself. And if you want to see why someone liked that show, just look for next review that has high score (just not 10, it's too often empty praise with no argumentation).

Also, there is nothing wrong with being critical. If anything, it's welcome. Anime is hobby like any other and it too allows people to enjoy it in different ways. In every hobby you see people who do it "for fun" and those who always want to go further and turn it into their passion.
Jan 10, 2020 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
Elitists are the illuminati of the world.
Jan 10, 2020 2:16 PM

Aug 2017
sToP dIsLiKiNg wHaT I LiKe.

Just like someone from reedit said: "People that use the word Elitist as a response to anyone criticizing a popular show or show they like. Elitism is shitting people for liking certain shows, not criticising shows for being bad. Also probably even worse are people that believe such a thing as "Elitist taste" exists which might be the stupidest group in the entire community. Elitism is a mindset and a way of behavior and has nothing to do with someone's preferences ".
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 10, 2020 2:24 PM

Aug 2016
Reading their opinions for laughs is pretty great.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jan 10, 2020 2:36 PM

Oct 2019
Anime elitists come in many shapes and sizes, there are some that can actually give a fair and concrete opinion on a certain show and there are also the Gordon Ramsey wannabes that will trash talk every anime that gained some kind of popularity or praise from the community.

In my opinion there are far more toxic groups in the anime community.
Jan 10, 2020 2:41 PM

May 2018
Just a sect of pseudo-smart fanatics. An elitist shouldn't have his own opinion. He must love everything his elitist party says is good, and he must hate everything his party says is bad.
If you dare to like some shows which are considered bad by elitists, or if you dare to dislike some elitist holy scriptures like Evangelion or Haruhi, then you are a poor normie and will be expelled from the elitist sect for good

Jan 10, 2020 4:12 PM

May 2018
I wonder if there is elitism about elitists?
Like "You think that your elitists are bad? Naaah, mine are way more sinister and evil! They even have lower mean scores but high enough for not being trolls or downvoting bots.".
Jan 10, 2020 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
There are no elites. Only esthetes.
Jan 10, 2020 5:31 PM

Jun 2019
I've noticed that you can often discern a lot about a person from their viewpoint & the manner in which they evaluate & assess something, in this case anime.

I appreciate your point OP & often have observed that the elitist types you are referring to appear as if they are looking for any detail, no matter how minor, in order to downgrade their opinion of a show. And they seem to delight in this fact when regurgitating their subjective thoughts. Anyone who disagrees doesn't have their obvious talent for critical thinking, ahh, can't stand those types.

They are the same in life as they are when discussing their lofty opinions on anime forums & they don't tend to be happy people (in my limited experience), so maybe try & treat them gently, they are going to have a hard life.
Jan 10, 2020 5:44 PM

Jul 2007
I don't consider anyone's opinions in regards to anime.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 10, 2020 5:46 PM

Apr 2016
You don't hate elitists, you just hate amateur, hobbyistic anime critics who happen to be negative on shows they find critical issues with (not that most of them, or at least, not that I go out of my way to find flaws since I don't even think that's possible, or at least it's rather difficult to do so since it's more of we're more aware of trends and issues so they stick out easier to us) because they more than likely happen to be for shows you like. Some people can be rather snobbish, gatekeeping, and dismissive to the point of being actual elitists, but them and critical anime writers aren't mutually inclusive. Hell, a lot of what are essentially "anti-elitists" are actually elitist assholes themselves except they're more defensive than those they target by projecting their own flaws onto cuz they're mad about a negative review and are reaching from the olden days of cult classic dickriding.
CodeBlazeFateJan 10, 2020 5:57 PM
Jan 10, 2020 6:11 PM

Apr 2019
You miss the decisive option to pick in your poll. Judging people by their rating average is flat out absurd, imho.

(x) I'm an elitist by your definition, and don't care

Jan 10, 2020 6:19 PM
Jan 2019
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even elitist assholes. If you don't want to listen to them, don't. It's that easy. I mean you know what you like, and if someone tells you that what you like is trash, then ignore them. If you want to listen to them because they have seen more anime than you, then go ahead. Nobody can control you, so do what you want to do.
Jan 10, 2020 6:25 PM

Nov 2007
They are tsundere. Real life tsundere.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 10, 2020 6:27 PM

Dec 2019
Depends on an individual basis, but in ranges from "Oh hey that's interesting, tell me more" to "You're a fucking nutjob" which is either extremely funny, or very annoying.
Jan 10, 2020 7:24 PM

Jul 2019
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the majority of the community would all actually be elitist. Would the casuals be shitted on even more? Will they be repressed because they are a minority?

Beyond a comment, you have to understand a way of thinking, of masses and of singular people. Actual elitists don't exist in this "community", you're just labelling someone from one interaction, and stopped there, not wanting to understand a point of view.

Why are you mentionning mean scores? Is it how we determine elitists? Can a number have as much meaning as a decently long conversation? They mentionned details that were insignficant in their review? But how do you know if they are insignificant? Your opinion on their significance has just as many value as theirs. You don't have to read their reviews of course, you do whatever you want but disrespecting them for that is just as rude as they can be. Also please for the love of god mention me which review is elitist, people never give examples and it is killing me.

The fact you have a high mean score does mean you have a bias, especially about score. You just intake whatever anime you go and find a lot of value in it and decide to score the animes you liked highly, it is over your standard. Of course it is because you found value in it. No, I just lied. I dislike some animes and it didn't stop me from finding value in them, but what I did is a step furter: finding bad things about it, to be able to appreciate more what is truly good.

The problem with people who often shit on elitists (casuals) is like @Xstasy 's (great) video says that casuals lower the standard for animes, they are way easierly satisfied. But now imagine that, a world where anime is only watched by elitists, what would happen with the standards of anime? They'd be high and everybody will be happy, including people who have recently been introduced, only having the possibilty to watch good anime.

Of course a new standard would be placed so I realise talking about this is a bit futile, but the point is I think they aren't the one that have a high bar of expectation, but you who has a really low one. What do you think of anime? Is it art or entertainment to you? Think about it, different people have different views. Also if they shit on an anime you like, just debate and don't sulk about them without trying to fight, or mention them at all. To me it just seems like victimisation and it is something I dislike.
BiDiGiNJan 12, 2020 6:25 PM
Jan 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Dec 2008
To me they're like trump-full of shit and full of themselves.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jan 11, 2020 1:15 AM

Apr 2017
Elitists are mentally challenged, it's fun shitting on their 'opinion'
Jan 11, 2020 1:19 AM
Apr 2016
camm said:
the forums are a cesspool of idiocy, children and trolls.

However harsh and rude it is, this is the hard, sorrowful truth.
You got your answer. Mark this thread as solved and move on to something more productive.
Re:formed
Jan 11, 2020 1:56 AM

Apr 2018
People who have low score and overly critical on anime they dislike?

I don't mind them.
Others' score doesn't matter to me and I see nothing wrong with being overly critical.
I mean, they may learn how to write critical review in general.
Jan 11, 2020 2:23 AM

Oct 2013
Isn't the elitist the one saying who's elitist or not by its own criteria ?
Jan 11, 2020 4:00 AM

Jan 2019
New fan comes in and acts like they have decades of knowledge and somebody calls them a poser: "You are a gatekeeper!"

New fan thinks [Insert mundane show] is the best in it's genre and somebody disagrees: "You are an elitist!"

New fan watches NGE and thinks its profound and somebody disagrees : "You just don't understand it!"

New fan watches a show not in the top 500 and thinks they found an obscure gem. "Nobody talks about this show anymore?!"

New fan becomes an elitist.

Jan 11, 2020 4:31 AM
Jul 2019
My advice would be to find "critics" who you seem to agree with often enough and use their opinions as a guide to what shows are probably going to be to your liking.

I don't care much for elitism. It exists in all communities and in some ways can bring value to a discussion. But it depends on what they bring exactly. If it's simply a number with the kind of reasoning you'd expect to see from ThatAnimeSnob, then I suppose it's fine to ignore them to an extent.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

30 by Piromysl »»
26 seconds ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Apr 23

32 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

19 by alshu »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
24 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.