Forum Settings
Forums

Is it ever okay to punish a kid by hitting them?

New
Nov 13, 2019 1:57 PM

May 2019
People often joke that children are too coddled these days and need a good spanking or two to set them straight. What do you peeps think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2019 2:02 PM

Mar 2018
Taking away their luxury works as well. I can't believe the age at which children are given high-end phones/tablets these days. It's so dumb, what has society done. Are we all just gay frogs?
poop
Nov 13, 2019 2:05 PM
May 2019
No child abuse is never justified. Those who do it deserve to go to jail and lose custody of their children, such barbaric behaviour has no place in a modern society.
Nov 13, 2019 2:09 PM

Jun 2019
Esquirtit said:
Taking away their luxury works as well. I can't believe the age at which children are given high-end phones/tablets these days. It's so dumb, what has society done. Are we all just gay frogs?

No it's not dumb. What do you expect them to do, play board games for entertainment? lmao
Nov 13, 2019 2:15 PM

Jan 2013
AxxLife said:
Esquirtit said:

No it's not dumb. What do you expect them to do, play board games for entertainment? lmao
Yes? Board games can actually make a kid smarter unlike phones which will fuck up their eyes too.
Nov 13, 2019 2:16 PM

Mar 2018
Xstasy said:
No child abuse is never justified. Those who do it deserve to go to jail and lose custody of their children, such barbaric behaviour has no place in a modern society.

Spanking is fine. Are you filled with soy or something?

AxxLife said:
Esquirtit said:

There's no reason to spend over 500$ for your kids phones/tablets. Even 9 year olds get them these days. I'm fine with gaming consoles and stuff
poop
Nov 13, 2019 2:22 PM

Mar 2017
Nah, I don't think hitting kids is a good punishment. It teaches them that violence is okay. Besides, there are lots of other ways to punish a kid without resorting to violence.

AxxLife said:
Esquirtit said:

They can find entertainment in things other than tablets. Especially if they have a sibling or a friend to play with.
This reminds me of when I was waiting to get a haircut. There was this kid playing with a smartphone who didn't look older than five, and the moment it was taken from him he started screeching. Literally no more than a second. Jesus Christ it was annoying.

I don't think kids younger than ten should have free-range of the internet.

Esquirtit said:
Xstasy said:

Spanking is fine. Are you filled with soy or something?

Ok boomer.

'nom'
Nov 13, 2019 2:24 PM

Mar 2018
There's nothing wrong with spanking children. I mean just look at me, they trashed me like all hell and I've grown into a fine person. Haven't I? (please don't answer that question)

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Nov 13, 2019 2:26 PM

Jul 2007
It doesn't go far enough really. They need to be literally whipped into shape.
Nov 13, 2019 2:29 PM

Nov 2017
Nope. The research on corporal punishment shows that it's ineffective and harms the child.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3447048/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/05/health/spanking-harmful-study-pediatricians.html

There are better ways to deal with kids. I'd do myself and any kid I interact with and babysit a great disservice by ignoring research
Nov 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2011
Gotta love the framing and misuse of science in these kinds of topics. @Scud says pretty much what is needed in the thread lol
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Nov 13, 2019 2:44 PM

Jun 2019
@gleamblossom but whats wrong with them using phones or tablets for entertainment? nothing. you can sit on your ass on a computer all day but kids shouldn't be able to use a phone and play fortnite mobile or something?
Nov 13, 2019 2:45 PM

Jun 2019
Klad said:
AxxLife said:

Yes? Board games can actually make a kid smarter unlike phones which will fuck up their eyes too.

well I'm sure 99% of children nowadays would prefer to use a phone than play some lame board game. Doesn't matter if it makes them smarter at all. We are talking entertainment here. If you were a child in this day and age you also would much rather use a phone/tablet than play a board game.
Nov 13, 2019 2:48 PM

Mar 2017
AxxLife said:
@gleamblossom but whats wrong with them using phones or tablets for entertainment? nothing. you can sit on your ass on a computer all day but kids shouldn't be able to use a phone and play fortnite mobile or something?

Wasn't saying it was entirely wrong. I just see so many unsupervised kids playing about on the internet. If a parent can't at the very least have some sort of limitations and supervise their kid, then they shouldn't let them have a tablet, you know? You never know what they might stumble upon in this dark place that could be harmful to them.
It's preferable for them to play on consoles with limited access.

I'm not a fan of kids, but I'm not heartless.

Also, bruh, don't call me out like that lmao.

'nom'
Nov 13, 2019 2:57 PM

May 2013
Spanking and any sort of soft punishment can be effective. But, if it leaves a bruise or a lasting scar, you've gone too far

I'd rather take their toys/phones as punishment tbh

Nov 13, 2019 3:02 PM

Oct 2015
AxxLife said:

Nothing by itself but there are many online personas in YT and such that are not necessarily rolemodels, let's put it that way. Some time and content limitations would be healthy. Depends on age too.

OT: Yes. I can probably think of some absurd scenario where hitting the kid saves lives or something lol.
Nov 13, 2019 3:02 PM

Mar 2019
Esquirtit said:
The "smartphone complaints" is the first place where "my generation" turns into old complainers who basically complain that the young have access to technology they hadn't when their age.

I've noticed from a young age that the elder tend to be fearful of the young having access to technology for the simple reason that they didn't have it. First it was radio, then it was television, then it was computer, and now it's smartphones; for whatever reason it's super scary that the new generation of course grows up with the benefits of technological advancement that the prior generation did not. I grew up personally with a weird rule that I could only spend 1 hour behind the computer per day, that was somewhat normal; I should instead of that just watch t.v., of course my parent was prohibited from watching too much t.v., and should instead just listen to the radio.

It's all æqually idiotic and irrational fear.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 13, 2019 3:27 PM

Mar 2018
Sphinxter said:
Esquirtit said:
The "smartphone complaints" is the first place where "my generation" turns into old complainers who basically complain that the young have access to technology they hadn't when their age.

I've noticed from a young age that the elder tend to be fearful of the young having access to technology for the simple reason that they didn't have it. First it was radio, then it was television, then it was computer, and now it's smartphones; for whatever reason it's super scary that the new generation of course grows up with the benefits of technological advancement that the prior generation did not. I grew up personally with a weird rule that I could only spend 1 hour behind the computer per day, that was somewhat normal; I should instead of that just watch t.v., of course my parent was prohibited from watching too much t.v., and should instead just listen to the radio.

There are enough rational fears due to negative effects of social media and such.

Giving kids in primary school high-end phones/tablets, I think it's ridiculous. I've seen the retardation that comes with it. I grew up with similar rules you have but in that time social media wasn't as prevalent as it is now, so it's not as irrational.

poop
Nov 13, 2019 3:33 PM

Mar 2014
if the kid did wrong and it was their own parents who did that hitting to them, then it's okay-ish as long as it's done because of love and not something that could inflict psychological trauma to the kid. what parents wanna harm their own children anyway
Nov 13, 2019 3:34 PM

Mar 2019
Esquirtit said:
Sphinxter said:

There are enough rational fears due to negative effects of social media and such.
Yes, these vague "negative effects" that one can find for literally every single activity ever. Every activity has some negative and positive effects; before there were the negative effects of television, of radio, of playing football outside, and thus forth, the negative effects of living alone, the negative effects of cohabitating.

Giving kids in primary school high-end phones/tablets, I think it's ridiculous. I've seen the retardation that comes with it. I grew up with similar rules you have but in that time social media wasn't as prevalent as it is now, so it's not as irrational.
Yes, social media, technology you didn't grow up with, and now it's scary that the next generation does.

And that generation will instead tell the one after that "Don't spend so much time with <new technology>, use more social media instead!" and the cycle continues ad infinitum.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Mar 2018
@Sphinxter

Bringing phones/tablets to school brings a lot of issues in class. Maybe it's just as much of an issue as Pokemon cards but they sure as hell aren't as expensive.

I've not done any research so whatever, I don't really give a shit about it either lol.

My point was more that taking them away is a good form of punishment. As is with any luxury kids take for granted and misuse.
poop
Nov 13, 2019 3:53 PM

Mar 2019
Esquirtit said:
@Sphinxter

Bringing phones/tablets to school brings a lot of issues in class. Maybe it's just as much of an issue as Pokemon cards but they sure as hell aren't as expensive.
The amount of money I had seen some whales spend on Pokémon cards... it's the same issue as with any entertainment in class; the older generation simply objects when a child is caught up in a smartphone, but strangely not when his attention is just as much distracted from a book.

I've not done any research so whatever, I don't really give a shit about it either lol.
Yet you have very strong opinions, and still claim they not be irrational.

My point was more that taking them away is a good form of punishment. As is with any luxury kids take for granted and misuse.
What is the "misuse" exactly?

— Bertrand Russell
Nov 13, 2019 4:10 PM

Mar 2018
Sphinxter said:
The amount of money I had seen some whales spend on Pokémon cards... it's the same issue as with any entertainment in class; the older generation simply objects when a child is caught up in a smartphone, but strangely not when his attention is just as much distracted from a book.

Tbf, my parents have wasted a lot of money on my Pokemon addiction too. It's still an issue that because of smartphones there's a lack of attention. That there are other causes doesn't change that.

Yet you have very strong opinions, and still claim they not be irrational

Because I've heard and read things, can't remember much but whatever negative effects mentioned seemed plausible thus I came to the conclusion it's not simply ''irrational'' fear. I still don't think I'm irrational, we're speaking in the context of parenting children, in which you try to negate the negative effects as much as possible?

What is the "misuse" exactly?

Using them in class causing you to do badly in school, unhealthy sleeping habits, anti-social behaviour, basically neglecting anything that's bad for your health and defies rules a parent gave to their child.
poop
Nov 13, 2019 4:16 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I think you need to approach child raising with the carrot and stick strategy, but there are a lot of ways you can deploy the "stick" without resorting to hitting your kid which scientifically speaking we know has a chance to hurt the results of how they turn out later down the line.

Although I DO wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment that Millineals and Zoomers are total fucking pussies now a days and I don't think physical punishment should be completely off the table; just that it should be a last resort.

Like I'm sorry but if a kid ran through a store causing hundreds of dollars of damages and just would not listen to their mom and there was nothing she could do to get him under control I'm sorry but she needs to grab that kid and give him a fucking spanking; I guarantee he will never do that shit again.
Nov 13, 2019 4:24 PM

Oct 2014
My mom disciplined me quite a bit when I was a kid. She used this stick to spank me and my brothers. I grew up just fine.

Dealing actual ass whoopings are obviously not good for the development of a child, but a little, controlled discipline won't hurt anyone.
Nov 13, 2019 4:57 PM

Aug 2009

So yeah. Feel free to take parenting advice from Russell Peters.

Luchse said:
There's nothing wrong with spanking children. I mean just look at me, they trashed me like all hell and I've grown into a fine person. Haven't I? (please don't answer that question)

Hyper 212.

Nov 13, 2019 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
sometimes if you're a little shit, you gotta be treated like a little shit
Nov 13, 2019 5:15 PM

Mar 2011
Ew to anyone using the term zoomer. You somehow come off as worse than the people you claim are pussies, congrats.

Guess that means they're period blood or some other genital discharge that is unwanted..
Nov 13, 2019 5:26 PM

Feb 2019
I'm not a kid anymore, but I wish someone would spank me...

My father beat me with a frying pan once, but I'm still this amazing and awesome human being. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone?
Nov 13, 2019 5:35 PM

Mar 2008
There has been way too many threads on this. It's been shown in studies that negative reinforcment through physical force has more negative than positive effects and that positive reinforcement of good behaviour is better and more effective.
Nov 13, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2013
It is not too effective in actually changing behavior for the better long term, and it is lazy and causes more problems. A better method of control is one where there is a painful psychological feedback for their actions, like guilt and fear of failure, by indoctrinating them with a strong healthy familiar relationship and pride, as the state does.
The child can, in that way, beat themselves without you having to be around or doing physical labor. It is optimal.
It can come to a point where such a thing would be necessary in extreme cases, but you are a failure of a parent if you allowed it to get to that point anyway.

I can see you

Nov 13, 2019 5:47 PM

Mar 2011
@MasterGlyth I think I'm imagining something way different than what your post describes lol can you give a couple examples of what you mean?
Nov 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Dec 2015
The harder you hit your children the more they learn their lesson.
Sometimes I take my kids (that I had with that bitch Jessica Masternfarfen) and throw them at like..a solid wall.
And that's how parenting works.
Nov 13, 2019 6:00 PM

Feb 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
The harder you hit your children the more they learn their lesson.
Sometimes I take my kids (that I had with that bitch Jessica Masternfarfen) and throw them at like..a solid wall.
And that's how parenting works.
I did something similar recently but they fell asleep, they have been like this for several days, apparently that makes them more lazy.
Nov 13, 2019 6:20 PM

Nov 2013
Silverstorm said:
@MasterGlyth I think I'm imagining something way different than what your post describes lol can you give a couple examples of what you mean?

What part?
Oh I see.
MasterGlyth said:

The child can, in that way, beat themselves without you

You dirty.
I'm just saying that when you establish a good family relationship, the child will feel guilty and be dissuaded from behavior they know would disappoint the parent, so you won't have to be on them all the time, and won't misbehave when you aren't around like with physical punishment.

I can see you

Nov 13, 2019 6:54 PM

Jul 2017
spanking is ok but don't go too far
physical punishment is not really an effective way to reinforce children's behaviors in my opinion
Nov 13, 2019 6:58 PM

Jan 2009
make them do push ups instead just like how they do discipline in the military

but joking aside science have shown its not effective but i see a lot parents here like got no other choice but to spank their kids just to stop being wild especially in public
Nov 13, 2019 7:19 PM

Sep 2018
It does more harm than good, but maybe if they did something really bad a spank is fine here and there, just don’t do it over the little things. The goal is to tell them it’s wrong, not to scare or hurt them. We shouldn’t be worrying if we’re “too soft on our kids these days”, as long as they’re learning their lessons and know what’s right from wrong, it shouldn’t matter how it’s done (unless it’s abusive, then I’m calling CPS)
Nov 13, 2019 7:45 PM

May 2019
deg said:
make them do push ups instead just like how they do discipline in the military

but joking aside science have shown its not effective but i see a lot parents here like got no other choice but to spank their kids just to stop being wild especially in public

Close. What you do is get the other kids to do push ups while saying they need to give the problem child some proper motivation, Full Metal Jacket style. ;)
Nov 13, 2019 11:16 PM

Apr 2019
Only if my child does something that causes harm to others, just like my mom did to us.

One time, I got the greatest ass whooping of my life by playing with fire inside our neighbors house.
Stole a large sum of money from my aunt who visited us? Yeah I got that boots that my dad wears right up my ass.

If it doesn't involve harming others, then there's no point in spanking them. Just some light discipline is fine.

Nov 13, 2019 11:45 PM

Sep 2018
Once in a while yes, otherwise they tend to grow up self centered arseholes.

It's funny no one in my classes had ADD or whatever because they got the blackboard cleaner thrown at them if they weren't paying attention. The threat of being physically hurt does tend to make a person behave better.
Nov 14, 2019 12:22 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't see it as particularly effective, no, as somebody who's got smacked in the head as a form of punishment decently often growing up. Not like I didn't get in trouble, not like it made me do homework, not like it encouraged me to get better grades.

Things that stick with kids are a lot more beneficial to their development. It's why they need to touch the fire sometimes. The pain from being smacked is temporary and it'll always be temporary. At worst, they become more disposed towards violence as a reaction to problems as a result.

Nov 14, 2019 5:14 AM

Jan 2018
I feel light spanking when they're young is fine but after they learn to speak you should actually learn to discipline them by other means.
Nov 14, 2019 6:54 AM

Aug 2012
Punishment really shouldn't be hitting. Discipline should. I got beaten by all sorts of non-scarring instruments as a kid growing up till early teens. Belts, bamboos, rings, slaps, spanks, sticks, shoes, all sorts of instruments. Imo it's good in moderation because it teaches discipline but you have to be clear about your motives. And please don't hit autistic kids or other kids with problems. This is why school shooters are a thing.

So yeah, beat your kid to make him behave and no more. Implying he doesn't listen at all. Children won't ever respect a parent that doesn't assert dominance because that's how things work.

Kosmonaut said:
My father beat me with a frying pan once, but I'm still this amazing and awesome human being. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone?
Whoa, that's some hard-core shit right there. Elaborate more, did he atleast knock you the fuck out? If not, that is quite lenient of him.
YarubNov 14, 2019 6:57 AM
Nov 14, 2019 7:04 AM

Apr 2014
Smacking a child doesn't equate to child abuse. Many people don't understand the difference, and how it's actually useful.
Nov 14, 2019 12:30 PM

Jun 2019
I was sent to a strict and boring elementary school. Teachers would slap hard, really hard multiple times, to the students whom didn't finish their homework the next day or if they were having conversations during lectures and all that bs, so I've basically grown up in that taboo society. It was literal hell when I look back at it. But while I do think they were being waaay too harsh when it came to punishing us, I don't think it's immoral to hit children as long as no one crosses the limit. Like a mild slapping should do the trick if the kid's not listening but still, go with the easy way first i.e. not straight up spanking the kid and have a reasoning with him/her to behave.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Nov 14, 2019 2:15 PM

Jul 2015
Esquirtit said:

Exactly, I seen five-years walking around with their own iPhone and Android phones these days.
Nov 14, 2019 2:27 PM

Dec 2017
Physical punishment actually doesn't deter unfavorable behavior, the only lesson it teaches is to not get caught doing it. It's better to encourage good behavior than it is to discourage bad behavior

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Nov 14, 2019 3:29 PM

Jul 2015
Saying that beating kids is ok because you were hit as a child and still turned out fine is like saying that smoking is fine because your grandpa smoked and didn't get cancer.

Stop being naive. Corporal punishment isn't even a controversial topic in developmental psychology, it's pretty clear at this point. Violating the bodily autonomy of your child won't reliably make it a better person. Quite the opposite.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Nov 14, 2019 3:32 PM

Jun 2019
My mother beating me with a belt at every little thing: I sleep.

My father saying he is disappointed in me: real shit.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

29 by cyandaqil »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

41 by 707supremacist »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.