Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 19, 2019 9:13 PM

Oct 2016
CHC said:
@Pikslap
>Are there any survival anime that come to your mind that aren't overly philosophical? Just a harsh, down-to-earth survival tale.

Try Mugen no Ryvius maybe. It has a similar premise but it is played out in a more "edgy" way and shows more ugly sides of the characters (perhaps only the ugly sides....) I dropped it after 8 episode since it's too over-the-top edgy for me, but I guess we have different taste.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is also exactly down-to-earth, realistic and no-bullshit, but more melodramatic and not so much as dark/edgy. There are similarly realistic survival manga like Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou and Dragon Head which in my opinion work much better by having relatively mature characters in it (therefore less about melodrama but more about problem-solving/horror/adventure/mystery), but they've got no anime adaptation.

This one is less realistic, more sensational and more about twists-and-turns: https://myanimelist.net/anime/37175/Mi_Yu_Xing_Zhe

And Gakkougurashi! for an edgy zombie survival anime where cute girls suffer from PTSD

Not gonna mention other more mainstream stuff here 'cause I bet you already knew about them

>Try Mugen no Ryvius maybe. It has a similar premise but it is played out in a more "edgy" way and shows more ugly sides of the characters (perhaps only the ugly sides....) I dropped it after 8 episode since it's too over-the-top edgy for me, but I guess we have different taste.
The whole edgy aspect sounds like a bit of a turn off, if it is truly as over-the-top edgy as you say it is. I'm fine with the basic every now and then edgy line, but if we're talking Sonic Forces-tier writing, I think I'll just avoid it. I'll probably check it out sometime. Definitely add it to the watchlist, just lower priority..
>Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is also exactly down-to-earth, realistic and no-bullshit, but more melodramatic and not so much as dark/edgy. There are similarly realistic survival manga like Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou and Dragon Head which in my opinion work much better by having relatively mature characters in it (therefore less about melodrama but more about problem-solving/horror/adventure/mystery), but they've got no anime adaptation.
>Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
This one's been on my watchlist for a while. I'll definitely check it out eventually. "down-to-earth, realistic, and no-bullshit" is definitely up my alley.
>Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou
>Dragon Head
Both of these look very interesting. I'll definitely get around to reading them sometime.
>Gakkougurashi
I've been recommended this one a few times. Maybe it's a sign, haha.
Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations. I've got a to watch and to read list on my phone that gains more and more entries by the day. I'll definitely check these out sometime. Thanks again!

Sep 19, 2019 9:48 PM

Jul 2015
This was one god damn happy landing. I was scared to click on the dang episode worried about what would happen it was so damn smooth it was... kind of boring actually, despite the secrets of the world that were revealed here. Considering how exciting things have been up to now, I was expecting a lot of mess but it went incredibly smooth... I also loved the bit about Kanata asking to marry Charce's daughter BOY THAT CLONING MADE THINGS WEIRD. Good anime, one of the tops of the season, glad I watched it. 910.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Sep 19, 2019 10:27 PM

Feb 2015
I've very much enjoyed this show and it proves we need more space / sci-fi anime as it was a breath of fresh air in a season of terrable Isseki shows.

The whole humanity moving and history being changed aspect was quite contrived and the weakest aspect of the show.

The characters though cliché, were likeable and Astra addressed some interesting story points.

Also it's great to see a show get a decent ending and epilogue. Other anime should take note.

8/10
Sep 20, 2019 1:35 AM

May 2018
This looked more like a beginning of a darker dystopian story: space school trip gone wrong, they survive somehow (with more damages and some losses), realise that this was an assassination attempt, their "parents" continue to try to eliminate them with the help from some mobsters and hired assassins, the government is also after them because of the Paulina's leak of "forbidden history" (Charce is killed early on)...it could be One Piece on cosmic scale.

But here everything worked too perfectly and too easily.
alshuSep 20, 2019 2:21 AM
Sep 20, 2019 3:53 AM

Jan 2015
This anime is better than my expectation & fun to watch

9.5/10

Sep 20, 2019 5:44 AM

Feb 2018
I kinda had to accept the lighthearted tone the anime decided to go with half way through . fun interactions here and there thanks to "Zack" who is my favorite out of all . the astra/ earth twist was interesting at first , but turned out dumb real quick .
Kanata being oblivious was just annoying , otherwise comedy was solid overall
6/10
Sep 20, 2019 5:45 AM

Jun 2016
seriously this anime was so damn good !!!

tbh.. that ending make this anime way way too good !!

this anime score rating boost up to 8.20 omg ...
Sep 20, 2019 6:28 AM

May 2016
So I liked this quite a bit! It has plenty of issues, mostly in pace, logic and failed (sometimes very cringe-worthy) emotional beats, and much of it is unabashedly cliché, but optimistic Sci-Fi stories have always been a big weak spot of mine and this hit that spot well, with some very good twists and feels along the way. In the end this really does remind me a lot of They Were 11. Enough to make me assume the author was directly inspired by it (being a classic from a legendary mangaka), which is awesome. If you liked this show you should definitely at least check out the movie for TW11 - it's similarly wholesome, is also about a group of young students stranded in space, who have to work together to survive despite a possible traitor amongst them... And it's got quite similar comedy, romance and themes too (and even its own "intersex" character! And handsome royalty!). Though I'd say TW11 is a much more tightly written and grounded tale (despite half the cast being aliens), with not quite such a grand conspiracy--leaning more on the thriller aspect through the "traitor" it sets up.

Back to Kanata no Astra though, I have to mention - Jesus Christ did this ending lay it on a bit thick...
I'm sure this last episode made a lot of people happy, but for me it falls very easily into the "too much of a good thing" problem. Very sickly sweet, with little moderation on how much it "rewards" you. I much prefer endings that end on/with some interesting final commentary on the themes, that predominantly focuses on tying up those well and leaving me wanting to think and reflect, rather than endings that just predominantly focus on making me feel good and rewarded. I like feeling good--don't get me wrong--but way too much time was spent on that here, and with that I can't help feeling like the themes still had a bit more left in them. With all that unnecessary, empty padding it ends up feeling lacklustre and inconclusive even though it's really not.
ZaugrSep 20, 2019 7:03 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2019 7:24 AM
Jun 2017
Love the final episode as it has shown everything that happened after the day 164 that they are in space. 7 years after returning to Planet astra their lives have changed for the best, as all the camp B5 have the best in their lives, and best of all Aries and Kanata are to be married.

* thats the power of 48 mins episode, the final episode is not rushed and it showed very well a great ending to this series...

Well i will miss this series a lot... its one of my favorite series this year. Yeah.
Sep 20, 2019 8:13 AM

Dec 2016
CHC said:
Kimurah said:

You're doing exactly that by recommending me some obscure film that probably only a dozen of stiff turtle neck critics have seen and think that it's the epitome of somber and tense filmography and others should be watching

All I said is that you're judging one title in a very hyperbole manner while missing a whole two thirds of it's content.

Edit: gag shows are a dime a dozen in anime, but because they are rare in cinema and literature that immediately makes Astra some rare gem? wouldn't it make it just generic and run of the mill content in it's own medium? I'm confused with that line of yours on what you're trying to say

You don't seem to understand what middlebrow means. Middlebrow doesn't mean "pretentious", the all-encompassing catchword used by those who never go out of their tiny intellectual comfort zone. A middlebrow taste means a taste for the kind of product that attempts to copy the intellectual achievement of high art, but is so water-downed that it requires little intellectual effort to digest.

What I'm basically saying, is that would I endure something like Mugen no Ryvius -- an unoriginal, middlebrow imitation of Lord of the Flies, if there are other much better "somber and tense" works about survival out there? The first 10 minutes of The Human Condition isn't shit. I didn't have to endure >200 mins until I finally get to see some good character study, or to get disappointed by discovering that there is none. No good writer can write shit opening, making every character looks like lifeless puppets who will mindlessly jump into conflict for the same reason for almost every fucking time whenever the writer thinks he needs some "intensive", one-dimensional drama rather than giving us a more complex view of the inner world of the cast. 8 episodes are more than enough to see whether the writer of the show is a good storyteller. Kanata no Astra at least didn't piss me off as much by taking itself so dead seriously while displaying absolutely no self-awareness of its bad writing. Kanata no Astra at least has a sense of irony and understands itself to be nothing more than a feel-good show for a silly lowbrow entertainment.

Anyway, if you insist that I can't say anything about anything I drop, just ignore my comment then. It has become pretty clear that we have very different taste by the way you described The Human Condition, so my opinion don't really matter to you nor yours to me. Perhaps I should've gathered that from your American Idol profile picture.

Your whole highbrow rant sounds like a variation of dozens of other lifeless rants I've heard years ago on other forums and your Black & White profile picture just to shout out hey look, I'm somber and intellectual, ranting niche films no one knows about it in a message board about mainstream media.

I'm not questioning your taste, but I'm just pointing out that you're going into some antipode sense of enjoying media: You claim that Ryvius is mediocre because it copies something that dozens of high stiff critics put in a pedestal like Lord of the Flies (yeah I've read the book and watched the adaptation movie, it's great but nothing to jizz all over the place) so a copy of it it's just pointless. yet a copy of hundreds of anime gag shows it's A OK just because it's ironic? Like I said it's all up to you, but it feels quite empty if you can just consider the polar oposites of the spectrum as worthy when a lot of the media is based in a middle ground (specially if we're talking about sci-fi in space in wich case everything is just a copy of 2001:Space Odyssey)

But enough, your stiff windbag paragraphs are just pointless in this kind of forum and also stopped being amusing after your second reply

P.S your definition of middlebrow taste isn't neither in oxford nor on webbers dictionary the way you stated it, and even in dictionary.com states that it's just taste for both lowbrow and highbrow, it doesn't say anything about imitating high art. Next time input a source when explaining buzzwords
KimurahSep 20, 2019 8:26 AM
Sep 20, 2019 9:09 AM
May 2019
They did not rush the ending, all lose strings tied up and everyone happy, a sastifying ending for once in a show instead of a dodgey cliff hanger making you buy said manga just to find out the big blood bath crime scene was granma who spilt the tomato soup and triped on it
9/10 hope more shows are like this in future, would be 10 if the ending was too good, wish there was some fourm of like long lasting something, also would of liked the see the grandmar from ep 1
Sep 20, 2019 9:50 AM
Feb 2012
Overall a great ending to the series.
One thing I am a bit confused about is why they had to push the history back 100 years.
Besides connecting it with the 1963 "war", is there any other reason?
I understand that it takes a century to rebuild society but why does the actual year have to be masked?
Sep 20, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2018
This anime was chill and relaxing, but just enough to not be boring, i didn't know i wanted that.
Bonus points for having an ending (that's becoming rarer and rarer)
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Sep 20, 2019 11:10 AM
May 2016
TheDeedsOfMen said:
So here's the question: why establish new royalty?

If they went as far as banning nationality and religion, you'd think royalty and nobility would be near the top of the "to be eliminated" list too, especially if they carry actual power. Remember, the people of Astra are not supposed to be ultraconservative reactionary monarchists. It makes especially little sense in this case because this royal family didn't exist before the exodus. Simple inaction would suffice. Nobody would miss them because they would never have existed before.

It is also strange that the king of the world has absolute power within a single district but almost none beyond it. Seems arbitrary. Bonus points for handing it to some corporate executive. Just why? Aren't there more pragmatic rewards to hand out?

Other notes:

A literally global conspiracy is pretty outrageous. The Illuminati need to take notes.

Also, hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'd like to mention the asteroid debacle again. They built 10,000 wormhole gates but couldn't deal with a single asteroid.

They really would have needed more than 12 episodes (and the manga more than 49 chapters) to fully explore all this. Especially with most of the outrageous plot twists right at the end, it becomes a high-speed gauntlet in which they barely have any time to process things or comment on them.
omg why do people still question about it it was clearly mentioned in the anime , they found a new planet full of resources and everyone wanted to rule over it and fought with each other and half of the population died and we they realized what they did was stupid and they wanted to start over so they planned to do it in planet astra
Sep 20, 2019 11:11 AM
May 2013
this anime deserve 8.5 for me
every episode is pretty enjoyment. and this anime is about friendship really touch me.

and i love when anime show happy ending like this, and how their life going-on, not like many others anime which has an ending that feels like a hanging.
Sep 20, 2019 12:11 PM

Mar 2010
3/10

The king clone arc felt really ass-pull-ish, in the end I just didn’t care anymore.

The biggest loss was Kanata’s hand which he lost for being stupid.

Watching the last episode I felt my brain dying inside. Very bad writing.

I think every person who likes sci-fi and good writing will hate this show.

Edit: RebelPanda's review explains very well what I mean.
I probably won't bother to reply to each and every one of you anymore since i don't like to repeat myself.
LylaazSep 21, 2019 8:49 AM
Sep 20, 2019 12:31 PM

Oct 2015
Lylaaz said:
3/10

The king clone arc felt really ass-pull-ish, in the end I just didn’t care anymore.

i felt lonely in this thread xD thank you for sharing your thoughts. The show had a lot of promise and i was more than willing to embarc on this adventure and love it, but the writing was honestly bothering me each and every episode at some level, it being the story itself or the dialogue
Sep 20, 2019 12:56 PM

Mar 2010
Nostalgik said:
Lylaaz said:
3/10

i felt lonely in this thread xD thank you for sharing your thoughts. The show had a lot of promise and i was more than willing to embarc on this adventure and love it, but the writing was honestly bothering me each and every episode at some level, it being the story itself or the dialogue

I'm happy you agree! Because it is true. People who don't aren't using their brains while watching this anime.
I kind of wanted to write my own review but RebelPanda review is amazing, if you haven't read it you should.
Sep 20, 2019 2:21 PM

Feb 2016
All those moments of tears and smiles you gave me. I thank all people who contributed to this beautiful work by creating, writing, directing. Such a beautiful gem for me.

This last episode is so emotional, I am happy to see what happened to them after some years.
Sep 20, 2019 8:37 PM
Mar 2018
I liked the anime overall but I thought that the epilogue in the final episode was too long. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the anime.
Sep 20, 2019 11:18 PM
Jan 2013
Lylaaz said:
Nostalgik said:

I'm happy you agree! Because it is true. People who don't aren't using their brains while watching this anime.
I kind of wanted to write my own review but RebelPanda review is amazing, if you haven't read it you should.

LOL , so in resume " if you dont agree with me then youre dumb and dont use your brain

So self-entitled , youre not worth discussing with
Sep 21, 2019 12:04 AM

Apr 2016
That was pretty bad.
Sep 21, 2019 3:23 AM

Mar 2010
xeco said:
Lylaaz said:

LOL , so in resume " if you dont agree with me then youre dumb and dont use your brain

So self-entitled , youre not worth discussing with

You aren't worth discussing with either. Firstly: I even refer to someone else's review in addition to my own opinion. This already means it's not only my opinion and I am not alone.
Since you don't even bother thinking you feel triggered because you feel that someone offended you.

End of discussion with you. Bye.
LylaazSep 21, 2019 3:26 AM
Sep 21, 2019 4:04 AM

Jun 2016
Aaaaa this series blew my mind many times during every last part of its episode. But this last episode concludes the show very well. They've all arrived safely and all the originals were arrested, each of them got interviewed by crowds and took all their different paths. The time skip also played a great part to this shows's conclusion. Aries and Kanata got engaged, Quitterie and Zack got married, Luca.... became more girlish i guess. Ulgar became a journalist to follow his brothers footsteps, Charce became the king, and Yunhua became a singer.

Was also hyped about their comeback to space and of course about Charce's promise to become Kanata's right-hand man. This show deserves a high rating, not just because of the plot twists. But also because of the character development of each individual. This show proves that the key to survival is teamwork and understanding. Kanata played a big role of being captain and heart of the team.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Sep 21, 2019 4:40 AM

Nov 2012
Lylaaz said:
3/10

Can we see your literary works? I just assumed you had some since you must know whats good to be calling this "very bad writing". I would guess you're just a pretentious dweeb with no clue what constitutes "good writing" based on how you typed that out in list form rather than a coherent paragraph.
--Toshi--Sep 21, 2019 4:46 AM
Sep 21, 2019 7:42 AM

Mar 2010
Anime-is-King said:
Lylaaz said:
3/10

Can we see your literary works? I just assumed you had some since you must know whats good to be calling this "very bad writing". I would guess you're just a pretentious dweeb with no clue what constitutes "good writing" based on how you typed that out in list form rather than a coherent paragraph.

Good writing reveals a structure or organization that is logical and effective. I believe RebelPanda's review explains very well what's wrong with this anime.
Have a good day.
Sep 21, 2019 8:32 AM

Apr 2019
[quote=Lylaaz message=58396188][quote=Anime-is-King message=58395549]
Lylaaz said:
3/10

I like sci-fi and good writing, and i like this show.
I think you are just being too harsh, the writing is not that bad.
I do agree that Kanata losing his hand was bullshit. And sure it had more moments like that. But Vinland Saga also has moments like that, does that mean its written badly? No.
I agree though the writing isn't near perfect. But the Show is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be, at least imo.

When all is said and done, your statement is false, because here i am i like sci fi and good writing, and i love this.
It doesn't need to be Ginga Eiyuu, it has its own unique Heart and Atmosphere, and i think it did well enough and is above average.
You son of a .. turtle

Sep 21, 2019 12:03 PM

Feb 2014
our super hero Kanata went out on another trip around the space before marrying Aries...

Episode 11, the last part of it, kind of annoyed me... messing up with my mood.
Episode 12 wasnt anything special in terms of surprise (we saw that coming) but gave us that refreshing moments of an after storbacky (epilogue).

Oh, also, flashbacks everywhere >.<

One thing I have to note is that they didnt use the pattern "killing or making suffer -in terms of gore- each character after each planet they visit". Thank goodness they didnt do that. Because that's the type of anime they like to use that.

7 or 8 (tending to 7).
TechOtakuSep 21, 2019 12:18 PM
Sep 21, 2019 1:27 PM
May 2018
finally this shit is over
Sep 21, 2019 1:55 PM

Nov 2017
Thanks God, there no NTR in this series
Thanks Charce, for being a Good Friend
Not like the other Pretty-boy who always end up stealing Main Chara Girlfriend

Ahh.. for Kanata & Aries
Kekkon Omedetou! >.<
Sep 21, 2019 3:49 PM

Apr 2017
Lylaaz said:

Ah yes, of course we don't use our brain if we enjoy something you don't
Sep 21, 2019 3:58 PM

Jul 2016
Good conclusion. They back in Astra, and the people accept them. Kanata and Aries is engage. And others had a better lives too. Overall its a good series this season.

Sep 21, 2019 5:26 PM
Jul 2015
sammyk124 said:
I don't know about anyone else but wow, what a goddamn finale, I was genuinely crying happy tears for these kids.

I was one of the fans of this show that despite seeing how it's flawed, rather saw that this show was wholesome and heart-warming as hell. This ending couldn't have been more perfect in my opinion, it was just so satisfying!

Zack and Quitterie get married, so do Aries and Kanata, Ulgar becomes a journalist, Yunhua becomes a famous singer, Charce becomes king, Kanata and Zack get to pilot the ship Kanata bought back from a museum through the selling of his hit novel, and everyone just lives happily ever after. As cliche and cheesy as it sounds, I love that we got an ending like this. Having the show end on bad terms would've ruined the whole show. But this finale made it seem like we truly embarked on a 12-week journey with these kids, witnessing them grow closer and overcome the hardships they faced.

The bit where they went over all the memories they made and which was their favourite truly brought tears to my eyes too, even them mentioning that Kanata saved a number of their lives with the same arm he eventually lost was just way too touching. I'm so happy about the bonds they created and the time they spent together. Seeing them all together and still happy 7 years later was just the cherry on top.

I really loved this show, please tell me there are others who loved this show to bits like I did!. I'm going to miss watching this every week. Great characters with an entertaining story, crisp animation and solid directing. A true hidden gem of this season!!
YES YES AND MORE YES. I was crying for the entire second half of the episode. Extremely well done and right in my feels. I'm so glad there's an actual ending - definitely a hidden gem ♡
Sep 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Dec 2010
This was a nice finale, better than what most two-cour anime get, left alone one-cours. I guess that I'm kinda salty that it's actually ending, but it was a pretty well-thought out and executed. One can say that the anime didn't really try hard to become something bigger, but at the same time it evaded the failure many titles experience the other way around. Overall this was an enjoyable anime and a fun ride with a few really intriguing points. A very solid 6/10.
Sep 21, 2019 6:47 PM
Sep 2019
A lot of comments said that Quitterie should have become a doctor. I disagree. Her first aid expertise was just forced upon her by her mother. It was not her passion.

Overall, I will never forget this series for a long period of time. Objectively, it's a solid 8/10. But in terms of enjoyment, this gets a 10 from me.
Sep 22, 2019 1:35 AM

Oct 2008
Very Satisfied of the ending because it felt like a movie because its more than 45 minutes! what a treat!
All of the characters are having their respective successful jobs!
Ulgar became a Journalist!
Funi became a hot teen just like the same appearance of Quitterie!
Charce became KING!
Yunhua became a singer and concert performer.
Kanata married Aries in front of King Charce!
Zack made Kanata a very convenient prosthetics!
and Luca had fun with Aries & Quitterie from Yunhua's concert
and of course Polina is now 147 years old...i mean 36 lolz!
and last of course Kanata, the King and Zack went deep space again to uncover the locations of the warmholes scattered in the universe!
5/5!

Sep 22, 2019 4:52 AM

May 2014
justuday said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
So here's the question: why establish new royalty?

If they went as far as banning nationality and religion, you'd think royalty and nobility would be near the top of the "to be eliminated" list too, especially if they carry actual power. Remember, the people of Astra are not supposed to be ultraconservative reactionary monarchists. It makes especially little sense in this case because this royal family didn't exist before the exodus. Simple inaction would suffice. Nobody would miss them because they would never have existed before.

It is also strange that the king of the world has absolute power within a single district but almost none beyond it. Seems arbitrary. Bonus points for handing it to some corporate executive. Just why? Aren't there more pragmatic rewards to hand out?

Other notes:

A literally global conspiracy is pretty outrageous. The Illuminati need to take notes.

Also, hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'd like to mention the asteroid debacle again. They built 10,000 wormhole gates but couldn't deal with a single asteroid.

They really would have needed more than 12 episodes (and the manga more than 49 chapters) to fully explore all this. Especially with most of the outrageous plot twists right at the end, it becomes a high-speed gauntlet in which they barely have any time to process things or comment on them.
omg why do people still question about it it was clearly mentioned in the anime , they found a new planet full of resources and everyone wanted to rule over it and fought with each other and half of the population died and we they realized what they did was stupid and they wanted to start over so they planned to do it in planet astra
Just mentioning something doesn't make it plausible. The actions of humanity seem so wildly implausible and arbitrary that it breaks the suspension of disbelief and ruins the script. It feels like the author has never lived on planet Earth because actual humans don't behave the way they do in this show.
TheDeedsOfMenSep 22, 2019 5:12 AM
Sep 22, 2019 5:40 AM

Dec 2016
Anime-is-King said:
Lylaaz said:
3/10

That's the same as: "wah wah you can't criticise a movie if you've never been a director"

Well, skippy, as hard is for your little brain to believe, you really don't need to be a content creator in order to make an objective analysis on what went wrong with it. As long as you understand simple rules behind in the making of script writing, anyone can see the differences between good writing and bad writing.

This can be applied to any sort of medium

* You can't be a food critic if you've never cooked for a 5 star restaurant

* You can't be a sports newscaster if you never played the game profesionally

* You can't be a motorcyclist test ride editor if you've never built a bike yourself, and so on...

Nim0174 said:

I do agree that Kanata losing his hand was bullshit. And sure it had more moments like that. But Vinland Saga also has moments like that, does that mean its written badly? No.
I agree though the writing isn't near perfect. But the Show is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be, at least imo.

When all is said and done, your statement is false, because here i am i like sci fi and good writing, and i love this.
It doesn't need to be Ginga Eiyuu, it has its own unique Heart and Atmosphere, and i think it did well enough and is above average.

Yeah, but we have already stablished several weeks beforehand that you're a fanboy of this work, so your statement that you like good writing and like this show is completely irrelevant and highly questionable.

Lets be honest, there's way more contrived writing than just Kanata's hand, and we've been mentioning this since the beginining (the whole idea of removing all borders and nations along with religion and creating an unified belief, covering a lie that the whole world agrees with, massive migration despite having the tools like FTL travel and warp tech to destroy or deviate the collision course of an asteroid, convenience on the crew getting all kind of resources and means to repair their ship without them being trained astronauts or field specialists, full convenience on finding a fully functional spaceship after being abandoned more than 100 years in a zone where an asteroid crashed with earth or just getting some damage from everyday debris circling around earth, and all the other asspulls this show showed off)

And yes, I know you're going to pull out the card "People should believe what the author says so" wich furthers proves my point that you have no idea what good writing is if you so easily believe all the crap that comes out of a writer's hand, without considering the plausability of the events; and note that I didn't call it being realistic, I'm talking how far can fiction stretch out a possible scenario without breaking suspension of disbelief.

Edit: Vinland Saga is also filled with tons of asspulls like a one army man swiss knife Thorfin that can kill several armored soliders in a single line with just one knife and similar impossible situations like that. So at least I can say we both agree on something afterall, and this comes from someone that thought Vinland would have been among if not the best of the season in the early episodes, but changed his mind after watching all that shonen-like display in a series with the "historical" tag, wich tons of fanboys defend it just because it has the word "Saga" labeled on the tincan.
KimurahSep 22, 2019 5:54 AM
Sep 22, 2019 6:02 AM

Dec 2009
Why is Kanata taking the Astra to Boldly Go Where No One has Gone Before, with only 3 crew members and no mission?? I get that it was sentimental and all, but still. That was probably my biggest complaint.

All in all it was a faithful and conclusive wrap-up that tied up all it's loose ends, even if some of them were a bit farfetched and improbable. It wasn't too dissatisfactory, and wasn't too pandering, so all in all not too bad.
<3 Aries (i still can't believe people suspected her)

The whole world forgetting everything, ehh, it barely suspended my disbelief, they literally did the best they could with the established premise... There's no other way to solve that context that would be any better... So if anything i congratulate for doing the best that could be done given the plot and it's premise.

@Nim0174 i agree with you in people overreacting a bit much, so perhaps you'll appreciate what i'm saying. I've seen a lot of sci-fi stuff east and west, and sci-fi is very prone to having campy stupid ideas, it's pretty much the most experimental genre of fiction. Kanata no Astra wasn't egregious in the slightest. I will completely disagree with you on Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu though.

If anyone studies enough of ancient history, it's pretty easy to surmise or even conclude from evidence that we are also a species with amnesia. The difference in our case is that it took an apocalyptic near-extinction level of devastation and the destruction of whatever lifestyle we had prior, what was it, 13-ish thousand years ago? And then millennia of generations passing and degradation of understanding of principles as each generation decayed slightly in understanding until it all just remained as myth and scripture which people are only NOW beginning to once again glimpse a possible understanding of what they had. Not implying a hyper electrical metropolis like we have now, but many forms of stonework and acoustic science that we just have not grasped yet.

That level of species amnesia, happening in under 100 years? yeah that's a stretch. Everyone remembers WWII pretty damn well, and the harder anything is tried to be covered up, the more people dig it up. Everything leaks, and eventually governments just have to declassify the documents because everyone generally knows already anyway. Which i guess was sortof what they were going for, a parallel to the wave of declassification of documents and data and secret projects in recent years of what happened during the last 100 or so years due to pressure by the public. Sites like the Giza Plateau only manage to keep so many secrets due to how many times it has been renovated, defaced, reconstructed, and altered, that not a massive amount remains from it's origin, and it is very difficult to (literally)dig up, especially with the resistance of the Egyptian government.

The only way you could maintain a global conspiracy is if you actually generate more conflict. The way you keep something ambiguous to the populous, is to attack everyone who has any opinions on the subject and form a conflict amongst the public - that being the stark prejudice and opposition of those labelled conspiracy theorists, cranks, nutbars etc. The result is, that most of that demographic DOES end up populated by the crackpots, and anyone with a legitimate statement gets drowned in all the stupid so that it never amounts to anything, is more easily manageable, and the general public dismisses it easily as just another alien-obsessed paranoid anarchist.
...I'm not taking the side of or defending conspiracy theorist nutjobs, just pointing out what would be the only reasonably effective method. In the age of the internet and mass communication, it's hard to keep anything secret.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
justuday said:
Just mentioning something doesn't make it plausible. The actions of humanity seem so wildly implausible and arbitrary that it breaks the suspension of disbelief and ruins the script. It feels like the author has never lived on planet Earth because actual humans don't behave the way they do in this show.
You still goin on about that satanist pessimistic crap? Sure it's a fair bit on the optimistic side to just handwave that everyone gets along... They should have at least destroyed all record of the wormhole tech and left it to the sands of time. Still, nobody wants to be shitty, people only act that way when hardships or ideologies force them to (which unfortunately is rather common in our modern world, hooray societal decadence).

They would need a ruling power to enforce order and a certain way of living. As i've discussed plenty in prior episodes, they didn't eliminate belief systems, they just created a single world belief system in it's place, a new dogma to end all other dogmas. That was the whole point. It was an organized controlled effort, taking it all into one's own hands to make the change inescapable. The new world would have had to have been created in tyranny. By the way, that is the manifesto of most conquerors who aren't insane, is world unification, to end all future wars and bring peace. That was not a hole in the premise at all.

In reality, asteroids don't collide with planets, there is no actual evidence of this, merely assumed that the craters are impact when there is insufficient evidence to prove it (however that is not known to most laymen)... BUT in the context of the story, i dunno, maybe they were going for the asteroid armageddon scenario, or maybe that was also false and the truth was that it was actually a war and the remnants moved, or only a select group moved, and a lot of the rest of the "real history" is another layer of deception to mask bigger sins... Just food for thought.

@Kimurah consider the above paragraph
GenesisAriaSep 22, 2019 6:47 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 22, 2019 6:13 AM

Jul 2009
Solid ending that wrapped everything up nicely, with my only real issue being how the conflict with the originals was resolved in such an anti-climactic manner. Love the new look of the kids after the timeskip. Probably one of the best finales I've seen in a while.

Nice show overall, but it's not without its problems. While I like the tense moments, soundtrack, and comedy (sue me), the writing and characterization contained a lot of shortcomings. The story, while highly ambitious, never reached its full potential. The pacing also seemed fairly off at times, especially when the landslide of plot twists started pouring in by the second half. I thought the show was enjoyable from beginning to end, but the holes in the script and direction were really jarring at times. As for the cast, I only find Aries, Kanata, and Charce to be truly memorable. Still, I won't deny that the entire crew had good chemistry with each other. I'm hoping for more sci-fi anime like this in the future.

6.5/10
Sep 22, 2019 6:35 AM

Aug 2013
Lylaaz said:

Yeah? Not really. It's just you.
Mind telling me some titles with space travel adventure plot and "good writing" in your opinion?
I have read Liudi kak bogi, an old sci-fi book written by Russian author - Siergiej Sniegov. Pretty good one. Not exactly space adventure but still something rather fundamentally different than the rest of Sci fi literature. I bet, you'd consider it as "badly written".
I have a feeling that you just can't accept that 'fiction' is a keyword in sci-fi genre. Demanding 'MUH REALISM' is just plain wrong if we are talking about the fiction.
rsc-plSep 22, 2019 11:36 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 22, 2019 6:41 AM
Jan 2018
Nurguburu said:
I had such high hopes for Kanata no Astra after the one hour-long episode but it went downhill quickly. Full of annoying coincidences, forced drama, plot holes, stupid characters and plot armor to everyone and the ship. And the lack of tension was the most annoying thing.

The plot twistes make sense but they're pretty random and silly for no reason. I mean, for example how can I believe Charce's medieval kingdom backstory in a futuristic show? It takes me out of the immersion in a bad way. And the one-dimensional king makes it worse. The only plot twist that fit well was the whole story about Paulina and her origin. It was better than the entire show, sadly it was short-lived.

The premise and setting is very interesting but the actual writing and execution leaves a lot to be desired. Excessive number of characters for 12 episodes.

Overrated as fuck.

3/10 for the anime.

I fail to understand how this anime is overrated..? That word is overused as fuck. This anime barely got any attention. I don't want to be an elitist and disregard your opinion even if i don't agree with it but this anime is FAR from overrated.
Sep 22, 2019 7:09 AM

May 2014
GenesisAria said:
I will completely disagree with you on Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu though.
To be fair, one of the main points of LoGH is that people are often ignorant or outright idiotic in many ways, especially of tactics, history, and politics. This is stated pretty blatantly, though it arguably rubs it in a bit too often.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware, but the early stages of the remake only cover most of volume 1 and even then there is a lot of information lost from the novel (just like in the original anime also).

GenesisAria said:
It is difficult to comment on your ideas because we don't know enough about their technology.

A few tactical points are known though. They already use EM jamming. Apparently, that's why their communications are such garbage. They use guerrilla tactics sometimes, not with single ships though.

GenesisAria said:
People are into poshness and "the connection to the symphonies"? Who? I always had the impression that people like the plot progression, political philosophy, semi-realistic human behavior, and the somewhat grim view of humanity. And some memes, of course. I haven't conducted any polls though, so I guess I could be wrong.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
You still goin on about that satanist pessimistic crap?
"Satanist"? What are you even on about?

GenesisAria said:
Sure it's a fair bit on the optimistic side to just handwave that everyone gets along... They should have at least destroyed all record of the wormhole tech and left it to the sands of time.
"A fair bit" is a ridiculous understatement. Humanity rarely agrees even on less politically charged things, let alone suddenly abolishing existing states and traditional religions and somehow living peacefully afterwards.

GenesisAria said:
They would need a ruling power to enforce order and a certain way of living. As i've discussed plenty in prior episodes, they didn't eliminate belief systems, they just created a single world belief system in it's place, a new dogma to end all other dogmas. That was the whole point. It was an organized controlled effort, taking it all into one's own hands to make the change inescapable. The new world would have had to have been created in tyranny. By the way, that is the manifesto of most conquerors who aren't insane, is world unification, to end all future wars and bring peace. That was not a hole in the premise at all.
The narrative suggests that the transition happened peacefully and voluntarily.

GenesisAria said:
In reality, asteroids don't collide with planets, there is no actual evidence of this, merely assumed that the craters are impact when there is insufficient evidence to prove it (however that is not known to most laymen)...
Astronomers witness asteroids collide with planets all the time.

GenesisAria said:
BUT in the context of the story, i dunno, maybe they were going for the asteroid armageddon scenario, or maybe that was also false and the truth was that it was actually a war and the remnants moved, or only a select group moved, and a lot of the rest of the "real history" is another layer of deception to mask bigger sins... Just food for thought.
The narrative doesn't suggest any of that. At least I can't see enough signs of it.
TheDeedsOfMenSep 22, 2019 7:30 AM
Sep 22, 2019 7:32 AM
Jul 2019
The Religions are The main reason of wars!! Even though liberalism and communism have most crimes in World War I and II

Shit anime

And the earth is flat!!!
Sep 22, 2019 1:34 PM

Dec 2018
hmm not very fond of the whole idea about the genisis of Astra because it's seems that they did pick every pre made line of any scifi fiction and mix them up, but its author forgot the basic sentence to link to its story without being robotic. IT WAS DAMN cringy when they find out about the truth and, as for me, it was really poorly made to follow that path. They could have done better with Polina's plot twist, at least they tried but it didnt work out to me. Overall, the way its creators deal with their storylines is the main problem of this series, i mean, they always chose the most predictable pace without add, by the minimum, something new, it would've been much better if they used their cliches with a inovating touch.

I do like this series and it was fun to enjoy, however, not more than that. It isn't impactful or fucked up(in a good way).
Sep 22, 2019 6:21 PM

Dec 2009
TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
I will completely disagree with you on Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu though.
To be fair, one of the main points of LoGH is that people are often ignorant or outright idiotic in many ways, especially of tactics, history, and politics. This is stated pretty blatantly, though it arguably rubs it in a bit too often.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware, but the early stages of the remake only cover most of volume 1 and even then there is a lot of information lost from the novel (just like in the original anime also).
I'm aware, and people talking about it said it was at least as faithful as the original anime, but on some different aspects. I've never heard of it portrayed as idiotic. People are always going on about how it's some amazing commander vs commander clash of strategic minds yadda yadda. "Omg look at all of the amazing tactics and strategies and formations! It's so sophisticated!" If you want to see a better depiction of intelligent strategists conflicting eachother, watch the chinese film duology Red Cliff.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
It is difficult to comment on your ideas because we don't know enough about their technology.

A few tactical points are known though. They already use EM jamming. Apparently, that's why their communications are such garbage. They use guerrilla tactics sometimes, not with single ships though.
Well for one, even in present day we are verging on or already have unjammable fractal analog signals.
Here is a crude example of something i did a while back as abuse of FTL in an rts game (a tactic i thought of years before i actually tried it): https://streamable.com/0kr8w ...

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
People are into poshness and "the connection to the symphonies"? Who? I always had the impression that people like the plot progression, political philosophy, semi-realistic human behavior, and the somewhat grim view of humanity. And some memes, of course. I haven't conducted any polls though, so I guess I could be wrong.
Most of the people that obsess over LotGH tend to be elitist hipsters that gravitate to stuff that seems more "high-class","intelligent" and "elite" (which is also why a lot of edgy serious stuff with various aspects that commentate on the human condition in a pretentious manner appeal to the same kinds of people). The atmosphere of the series sells itself to appear intelligent and high-brow. The symphonies, i dunno people talk often about how the plot and orchestral music are related. I think it was something about it all being structured in a similar way to particular pieces of music or something. That is a neat gimmick, but doesn't make it godly or anything for doing so.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
You still goin on about that satanist pessimistic crap?
Satanism is the belief that humanity is inherently sinful, and if left uncontrolled, they will default to the most horrible of behaviours and actions. It's literally religiously secularized pessimism. They will always use war and crime and such as their "proof" but this is just confirmation bias and only looking at the negative aspects.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
Sure it's a fair bit on the optimistic side to just handwave that everyone gets along... They should have at least destroyed all record of the wormhole tech and left it to the sands of time.
"A fair bit" is a ridiculous understatement. Humanity rarely agrees even on less politically charged things, let alone suddenly abolishing existing states and traditional religions and somehow living peacefully afterwards.
That's primarily due to the persistence of conflicting Ideologies. It would be highly presumptuous to suggest that it's an intrinsic human trait. If the problems are gone, humanity will stagnate.. Stagnation is ignorance and lack of any progress, but it can be very peaceful if everyone is under the same rulership and ideology. Freedom brings about chaos and progress, but it has the side effects of also having the undesirable conflicts of differing views, and applies more variables which can lead many people to unideal circumstances that will likely jade them. The Galactic Empire in Star Wars was quite peaceful, it protected it's citizens, managed it's economy and was mostly doing quite well on the large scale (aside from some idiot projects like the deathstar), though it was maliciously tyrannical by doing so.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
A peaceful story to promote a peaceful outcome built on ignorance...?

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
In reality, asteroids don't collide with planets, there is no actual evidence of this, merely assumed that the craters are impact when there is insufficient evidence to prove it (however that is not known to most laymen)...
Yeah, no they don't. You need to do some serious research on that one. The things they call "impacts" are straight up assumptions. If you look at the actual data, there are usually unexpectedly bright flashes before contact. This even happens with comets. You can't shoot an object at a charged body like a comet, asteroid, or planet, and expect it to not have a significant electrostatic discharge, which is usually enough to vapourize the smaller body, due to voltage differential. Larger bodies are more likely to exchange extreme amounts of energy via massive arcing and excavation but generally repelling eachother. Again, as i said, most laymen and casual people who don't actually investigate the science won't know these disconnects between what is said and what the facts actually are.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
GenesisAria said:
BUT in the context of the story, i dunno, maybe they were going for the asteroid armageddon scenario, or maybe that was also false and the truth was that it was actually a war and the remnants moved, or only a select group moved, and a lot of the rest of the "real history" is another layer of deception to mask bigger sins... Just food for thought.
The narrative doesn't suggest any of that. At least I can't see enough signs of it.
The anime is full of twists, and the anime may not have gotten the whole story.
GenesisAriaSep 22, 2019 6:49 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 22, 2019 6:54 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I definitely have to say, props to Kanata no Astra for keeping a relatively interesting yet also pretty consistent style of storytelling. Admittedly, it was a pretty basic storyline with a few twists thrown in, but honestly that's sometimes all you really need to tell a compelling story.

I've seen so many anime take a premise, let it do its thing for a few episodes, and then all of a sudden, they start adding new elements and the story ends up feeling like it's all over the place. We end up losing sight of what the show is even about. Not with Kanata no Astra.

We have a pretty steady stream of events mostly all linked to the premise. Very easy to follow. Side plots remain side plots and the main plot never feels like it's been thrown aside. There wasn't really any time where I forgot the fact that these were kids lost in space, trying to get home and trying to survive. MAYBE one or two episodes made me forget a little, but I didn't even mind due to what they gave to the series. The bits with the erased histories and new planet didn't even seem to take over too much. I thought it was a risky addition at first because the show could have actually ran just as well without it, but it was an okay twist.

They did the whole whodunnit bit pretty well. I mean I'm sure people caught on to Charce pretty early on, but at least they tried to keep that suspense and mystery there.

The characters were okay. Some were charming, but at the same time I kinda feel like a lot of them fell flat at times. They could have done a lot more with the characters. I mean like... there are characters who really didn't bring much to the table. Funicia was cute but really the only true purpose she had was for Quitterie's development and the clone reveal.
Yunhua's development was fine. Though I'm not gonna lie, she was still pretty useless regardless of how much they say her singing helped. I liked how Quitterie grew personally, along with Ulgar. Everyone else was kinda eh with their development. Don't get me wrong, I liked Zack and Luca, but they kinda more just revealed instead of grew...?
Really, I liked most of the characters, it's just more could have been done I guess.

There were some things that could have been worked on here and there, but overall it was a fine anime.

Unfortunately, the anime's message came, perhaps a bit too late to have too much of an impact. IF you're going to have a message, your message should be kinda like an essay if you want it to be more impactful.
1. You state/reveal your message/put your message on the table so people can wonder about it on their own.
2. Everything in your essay needs to refer back to your message. They don't even have to directly refer back. Just make sure that at the end, it somehow ties into your message. "This, this, this, and this..."
3. "...and that's why... this". Wrap it up. Make the ending count. Did everything we just watch just prove or put emphasis on your statement/message? Does it make your audience at least think about it?

For Kanata no Astra, we're only really introduced to the lasting message later on. We do get TWO hints of it. First, through the parents trying to erase their mistakes and second through the reveal of the government trying to erase their mistakes. Both of those are only things we learned as the show went on. Instead, we were wondering, "So why exactly is all this happening?" for a while. I know they wanted to keep it all a mystery, but perhaps if that was the message they wanted to convey then it's better to at least introduce the idea in a way that doesn't spoil through something else not related so the audience can at least get the idea in their head. Because you can take a statement and use one whooole point to prove that statement OR you can take a statement and use MANY different points to prove that statement. They should have opened with one unless I'm forgetting that one did happen. We got two different points, but as said before, the problem is that they BOTH came later. And so the ending, for me, just didn't have that much of an impact on me.

Seriously though, they did very well to build a simple story, follow a simple plot, add some twists so it's not too linear, and end the story. We don't need too many bells and whistles. It could be better, but this was good. Definitely fine with it and would even recommend it to people.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 22, 2019 10:45 PM

Sep 2012
Holy fuck, I can't believe they manage to make the ending even better than the manga. That was a lot of extra original content we got. The ending literally just makes the whole series 10x better. Easily a 10/10.
Sep 23, 2019 7:19 AM

May 2014
GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

I'm aware, and people talking about it said it was at least as faithful as the original anime, but on some different aspects. I've never heard of it portrayed as idiotic. People are always going on about how it's some amazing commander vs commander clash of strategic minds yadda yadda. "Omg look at all of the amazing tactics and strategies and formations! It's so sophisticated!"
GenesisAria said:
The atmosphere of the series sells itself to appear intelligent and high-brow.
GenesisAria said:
Strategy and tactics IS absolutely a battle of minds, which is what LotGH sells itself as, but fails miserably at, only thinks and pretends it is.
More than anything, LotGH sells itself as a showcase of political philosophy. Some of the main points of the warfare are that "people suck at basic warfare because they never studied even the basics of military tactics and history" and "people promote incompetent sycophantic yes-men to positions of power." It isn't even hiding it. The anime openly says that, the novel even more so. They also say that for people to call you a genius, all you need to do is to be superior to whoever else was in charge and that historians will sometimes praise people for minor things. Of course, the way it is handled is far from perfect, but calling tactics the main focus is misleading.

That doesn't mean that the series endorses all the tactics you suggested. It applies some of the basics of it, and I can't fully judge whether all of them would even work without more technical knowledge.

How often are people going on about "amazing tactics"? Maybe some people somewhere. When I have browsed through conversations on MAL, people have been talking more about the plot, characters, political messages, and various memes. When tactics in Die Neue These: Kaikou are discussed, people are not afraid to call out bad tactical decisions. Meanwhile, people also point out that there are clear narrative reasons for some of the most obvious tactical mistakes in early volume 1. Maybe that was only my impression; again, I haven't conducted any polls.

GenesisAria said:
If you want to see a better depiction of intelligent strategists conflicting eachother, watch the chinese film duology Red Cliff.
I actually don't want my anime, films, novels, etc. to primarily focus on military tactics or technical details too much. Including some of it is fine, but I don't want it to be the main substance. I can't comment on that particular work though.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Well for one, even in present day we are verging on or already have unjammable fractal analog signals.
Here is a crude example of something i did a while back as abuse of FTL in an rts game (a tactic i thought of years before i actually tried it): https://streamable.com/0kr8w ...
I am not sure if they are normal communications or normal EM jammers, or whether there is additional technobabble involved. They also have a limited capability to send simple signals, and they understand that it is smart to agree on encryption beforehand. It is really hard to comment more on this without knowing more about the technology. Maybe there are some lines in the novel that I am not remembering off the top of my head.

GenesisAria said:
Surprise attacks from blind spots happen sometimes in the show, diversions too. They also split fleets into smaller units and attack from various angles. It is worth mentioning that Die Neue These: Kaikou only has a handful of major battles because it is basically the early intro section.

That said, there may be technical limitations to how stealthily you can approach and how nimbly you can manuever, and judging by their sensor reports and movement in the show, this may be the case. Also, I am not sure how precisely small FTL leaps can be made and how it affects their systems. You can't handwave all of this away with "technology doesn't matter." Saying that "there's a way of working around and solving every problem" is not enough.

The fact that they don't usually go through ship-by-ship orders might just be for the sake of narrative. I wouldn't like to sit through that, at least. That's just my personal speculation though. Maybe that is an argument against huge fleet battles in general. I wouldn't even mind if LotGH had fewer.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Most of the people that obsess over LotGH tend to be elitist hipsters that gravitate to stuff that seems more "high-class","intelligent" and "elite"
What qualifies as "obsessing over LotGH"? Sure, I like it relatively speaking, but if the competition is something like Kanata no Astra's "Power of Friendship forever" approach, over-the-top reactions to every event, awkward mood shifts, and a story full of gigantic holes, LotGH wins by default as far as my tastes are concerned.

Most of the pro-LotGH (or not-anti-LotGH) people I've seen are pretty down-to-earth and cite substantial, non-elitist, and non-hipster reasons for liking it. Where are the actual hipsters and elitists? People write about them in their posts and reviews, but do they actually exist?

Or does not liking something like Kanata no Astra make me an elitist? If so, I am guilty as charged. It still wouldn't make me a hipster though. A hipster would like or dislike it because of trends. I dislike it for other reasons.

GenesisAria said:
(which is also why a lot of edgy serious stuff with various aspects that commentate on the human condition in a pretentious manner appeal to the same kinds of people).
I like my anime a bit edgy, just not too edgy. I am fine with LotGH's "humanity never learns" approach because there is at least some nuance. The writing shouldn't be too soft either. Kanata no Astra is a good example of that, with the all-pervasive friendship.

The arguments in LotGH on ethics and political philosophy tend to be very sceptical and reluctant to take any firm normative stance, and they go very far to reject any profound truths. A pretentious argument would be of the kind that makes wild claims without any evidence and pretends to hold profound truth. Sure, LotGH is far from perfect in this sense, but it is more careful with its argumentation than most anime, light novels, etc.

GenesisAria said:
The symphonies, i dunno people talk often about how the plot and orchestral music are related. I think it was something about it all being structured in a similar way to particular pieces of music or something. That is a neat gimmick, but doesn't make it godly or anything for doing so.
I had never even heard about this one.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Satanism is the belief that humanity is inherently sinful, and if left uncontrolled, they will default to the most horrible of behaviours and actions. It's literally religiously secularized pessimism. They will always use war and crime and such as their "proof" but this is just confirmation bias and only looking at the negative aspects.
Satanism is secular? That's a creative one. That is another highly unconventional definition. Moving on.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
That's primarily due to the persistence of conflicting Ideologies. It would be highly presumptuous to suggest that it's an intrinsic human trait. If the problems are gone, humanity will stagnate.. Stagnation is ignorance and lack of any progress, but it can be very peaceful if everyone is under the same rulership and ideology. Freedom brings about chaos and progress, but it has the side effects of also having the undesirable conflicts of differing views, and applies more variables which can lead many people to unideal circumstances that will likely jade them. The Galactic Empire in Star Wars was quite peaceful, it protected it's citizens, managed it's economy and was mostly doing quite well on the large scale (aside from some idiot projects like the deathstar), though it was maliciously tyrannical by doing so.

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
A peaceful story to promote a peaceful outcome built on ignorance...?
How would they convince everyone to adhere to the same rulership and ideology without conflict? That's the whole point people are objecting to. You are appealing to everyone adhering to the same rulership and ideology, but that is precisely the difficult part. How can it reasonably be done in practice so that the transition is voluntary?

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Yeah, no they don't. You need to do some serious research on that one. The things they call "impacts" are straight up assumptions. If you look at the actual data, there are usually unexpectedly bright flashes before contact. This even happens with comets. You can't shoot an object at a charged body like a comet, asteroid, or planet, and expect it to not have a significant electrostatic discharge, which is usually enough to vapourize the smaller body, due to voltage differential. Larger bodies are more likely to exchange extreme amounts of energy via massive arcing and excavation but generally repelling eachother. Again, as i said, most laymen and casual people who don't actually investigate the science won't know these disconnects between what is said and what the facts actually are.
For instance, the 40-kilogram rock that slammed into the moon in 2013 produced a visible crater after the flash. It wasn't repelled by any means.

Meanwhile, when asteroids and comets impact Jupiter, nobody is expecting them to hit a solid surface. The asteroid breaking down or being vaporized isn't a problem in the sense of whether to call it an impact.

In Kanata no Astra, the asteroid is 300 kilometers across. Do you seriously believe that its trajectory would be sufficiently changed by electromagnetic interaction with Earth or that it would simply be vaporized?

GenesisAria said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
The anime is full of twists, and the anime may not have gotten the whole story.
The anime tries to explain every twist in detail. I'd argue that some of their explanations were implausible, but they definitely tried. It doesn't seem like the kind of narrative that goes for well-hidden messages. And even if it did, I'd still call it bad writing because it would leave it too cryptic to figure out.
TheDeedsOfMenSep 23, 2019 7:43 AM
Sep 23, 2019 12:54 PM

Nov 2012
Kimurah said:
Anime-is-King said:

That's the same as: "wah wah you can't criticise a movie if you've never been a director"

Well, skippy, as hard is for your little brain to believe, you really don't need to be a content creator in order to make an objective analysis on what went wrong with it. As long as you understand simple rules behind in the making of script writing, anyone can see the differences between good writing and bad writing.

This can be applied to any sort of medium

* You can't be a food critic if you've never cooked for a 5 star restaurant

* You can't be a sports newscaster if you never played the game profesionally

* You can't be a motorcyclist test ride editor if you've never built a bike yourself, and so on...

Nim0174 said:

Yeah, but we have already stablished several weeks beforehand that you're a fanboy of this work, so your statement that you like good writing and like this show is completely irrelevant and highly questionable.

Lets be honest, there's way more contrived writing than just Kanata's hand, and we've been mentioning this since the beginining (the whole idea of removing all borders and nations along with religion and creating an unified belief, covering a lie that the whole world agrees with, massive migration despite having the tools like FTL travel and warp tech to destroy or deviate the collision course of an asteroid, convenience on the crew getting all kind of resources and means to repair their ship without them being trained astronauts or field specialists, full convenience on finding a fully functional spaceship after being abandoned more than 100 years in a zone where an asteroid crashed with earth or just getting some damage from everyday debris circling around earth, and all the other asspulls this show showed off)

And yes, I know you're going to pull out the card "People should believe what the author says so" wich furthers proves my point that you have no idea what good writing is if you so easily believe all the crap that comes out of a writer's hand, without considering the plausability of the events; and note that I didn't call it being realistic, I'm talking how far can fiction stretch out a possible scenario without breaking suspension of disbelief.

Edit: Vinland Saga is also filled with tons of asspulls like a one army man swiss knife Thorfin that can kill several armored soliders in a single line with just one knife and similar impossible situations like that. So at least I can say we both agree on something afterall, and this comes from someone that thought Vinland would have been among if not the best of the season in the early episodes, but changed his mind after watching all that shonen-like display in a series with the "historical" tag, wich tons of fanboys defend it just because it has the word "Saga" labeled on the tincan.

I just went through your forums posts, every single one I clicked on was you going on a bitchfest. Did "pretentious dweeb" describe you so well that you got triggered?
--Toshi--Sep 23, 2019 12:59 PM
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

202 by DebiPS »»
Apr 18, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2019

236 by naturalbrawler »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.