Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Aug 2, 2019 1:45 AM
Jun 2017
those CHEATERS, THEY DONT FOLLOW THE RULES OF DUEL... anyways it just shows how strong thors is. he can wipe out an entire army with just bare hands...

for thorfinn its hurtful to see when your father dies in front of you...
Aug 2, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2015
Imagine watching Vinland Saga, a show that has up till now has repeated again and again that "you shouldn't talk about killing so lightly", and then rage-commenting here that characters "should just kill other characters and be done with it".

LMAO I'm just... Some of these reactions show perfectly what the show is saying: so many people think so little of implications of violence. Another example of this is the amount of people that couldn't understand why Thors traded his sheep and saved a fellow human being (who happened to be a slave) in the earlier episode from literally getting tortured to death.

This show has a moral compass, it tells you that human suffering is the one thing that should be avoided at all costs, and Thors' comment that he had to rely on his sword because he is not a master, shows that he is VERY MUCH AWARE that he lacks the power and mastery of stopping someone like Askeladd from harming people without harming him back. All in all, Thors managed to solve this horrible situation by losing only 1 life, his own. It's the best he could've hoped for. Killing Askeladd's team to stop them from killing men in the future was also not an option, as someone already commented about the archers who would certainly kill the innocent villager kids if Thors had tried to do that. So imo he made the right call.

Call Askeladd a shrewd man who lacks morals, but at least he recognized Thors as someone admirable. Everything in this episode showed you that he hated the idea of having to kill Thors: from inviting him as a leader (he was clearly serious, you can see the feel of rejection on his face before he saves himself from humiliation by telling his men he was merely joking), to sulking on the boat after he did his job.

As some manga readers have mentioned before, if you aren't prepared to actually think about the themes this show mentions (pacifism, the harm of glorifying violence, and valuing human life above all else), you're going to have a very rough time after this first season. Because this show actually isn't afraid to have a message. smh.
Aug 2, 2019 4:59 PM

Oct 2012
Even now, Thorfinn is edgy af, really hate those kind of brats... well. And I have a hunch he would be even worse when he grows up. Vengeance or whatnot...

Anyway, the best character is now officially gone. He fought well, even gave us his long speech before death. The scene where even Askelddad was sitting disappointed, thinking what a shame such man had to die, feeling no pleasure or satisfaction in what he did was a great one.

The only thing that I really missed at the end of this episode was Thors closing his eyes and looking at golden fields in the wind at his mind, like in the beginning when that runaway died, that would be perfect.

Aug 2, 2019 5:54 PM
Feb 2016
this is the first time in a LONG LONG LONG time that i’ve cried this hard after watching a character die. i was straight up bawling. and this was when i already knew he was going to die (read the synopsis) and after i’d only known the character for what, 3 episodes? everything about this show is amazing so far, but i’ll definitely have to put writing number one on the list.
Aug 2, 2019 6:02 PM

Aug 2015
Really felt Thorfinn's emotion through that animation. Fantastic episode.
Aug 2, 2019 9:40 PM
Mar 2017
Better than SNK

LUL
Aug 2, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2008
Breakthrough performance on episode 4 of for Ishigami Shizuka! DAMN!
5/5.

Aug 3, 2019 12:29 AM

Apr 2018
What a waste. Thors was really strong but he didn't killed anyone. Welp, Edgy Kid Saga starts now
Aug 3, 2019 12:49 AM
Dec 2012
Amazing episode.The series will begin now!

Anyone who knows the title of the next episode?
Aug 3, 2019 1:13 AM
Dec 2018
i cringed so hard when he stood with 20 arrows in him like nothing so terrible. and how he kills 20 people alone. is that a fantasy show or an historical show? how can a man break a ship with iron weapons?
Aug 3, 2019 2:39 AM

Feb 2019
Kean said:

Episode 5 title: 戦鬼(トロル)の子 (Thors` child)
Aug 3, 2019 5:45 AM
Dec 2012
mainavi said:
Kean said:

Thank you very much!
Aug 3, 2019 8:51 AM

Apr 2016
This episode was really good!
Aug 3, 2019 9:11 AM
Jan 2018
Callesthe said:
Imagine watching Vinland Saga, a show that has up till now has repeated again and again that "you shouldn't talk about killing so lightly", and then rage-commenting here that characters "should just kill other characters and be done with it".

LMAO I'm just... Some of these reactions show perfectly what the show is saying: so many people think so little of implications of violence. Another example of this is the amount of people that couldn't understand why Thors traded his sheep and saved a fellow human being (who happened to be a slave) in the earlier episode from literally getting tortured to death.

This show has a moral compass, it tells you that human suffering is the one thing that should be avoided at all costs, and Thors' comment that he had to rely on his sword because he is not a master, shows that he is VERY MUCH AWARE that he lacks the power and mastery of stopping someone like Askeladd from harming people without harming him back. All in all, Thors managed to solve this horrible situation by losing only 1 life, his own. It's the best he could've hoped for. Killing Askeladd's team to stop them from killing men in the future was also not an option, as someone already commented about the archers who would certainly kill the innocent villager kids if Thors had tried to do that. So imo he made the right call.

Call Askeladd a shrewd man who lacks morals, but at least he recognized Thors as someone admirable. Everything in this episode showed you that he hated the idea of having to kill Thors: from inviting him as a leader (he was clearly serious, you can see the feel of rejection on his face before he saves himself from humiliation by telling his men he was merely joking), to sulking on the boat after he did his job.

As some manga readers have mentioned before, if you aren't prepared to actually think about the themes this show mentions (pacifism, the harm of glorifying violence, and valuing human life above all else), you're going to have a very rough time after this first season. Because this show actually isn't afraid to have a message. smh.

plus what we have being seeing is basically a flashback
Aug 3, 2019 9:15 AM
Apr 2016
Callesthe said:

Teaching Americans/westerners about violence not being a virtue? Sa-vage.
Re:formed
Aug 3, 2019 9:15 AM
Jan 2018
mainavi said:
Kean said:

i heard its going to be anime original
Aug 3, 2019 9:37 AM

Apr 2018
IRON_FIST1984 said:
is that a fantasy show or an historical show? how can a man break a ship with iron weapons?
I think you should read/watch more historical manga/anime. A superhuman character is pretty common in historical manga/anime.
Aug 3, 2019 10:31 AM

Mar 2012
Shirai-chan said:
What a waste. Thors was really strong but he didn't killed anyone. Welp, Edgy Kid Saga starts now

Worry not, next arc will be more like Askeladd saga ;)
Aug 3, 2019 10:33 AM

Feb 2017
great execution with strong moral and belief about warrior and real man

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Aug 3, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2019
Mattinator95 said:
mainavi said:

i heard its going to be anime original

Looks like it is. :(
Aug 4, 2019 1:00 AM

May 2015
Thorfinn should transfrom into titan...
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 4, 2019 2:20 AM

Apr 2015
It's well made- I can't really point out any flaws. However it leaves a rather unpleasant feeling rather than catharsis
Aug 4, 2019 2:52 AM

Jan 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Callesthe said:

Teaching Americans/westerners about violence not being a virtue? Sa-vage.

Befitting of a show about Vikings, isn't it? Though somehow I believe this point will fly over 90% of the watchers head despite it being mentioned in literally every episode. It happened to the manga, and it'll happen again to the anime if we'll get a season after this.

Arethusa_Vespera said:

It's blatantly clear from episode one that this was going to be a >>dramatized<< telling of Thorfinn's and Thors's life. The mangaka did a lot of research to keep the setting, clothes, etc. as historically accurate as possible, but at the end of the day, this is an ANIME, A. N. I. M.E. Having super-human characters and near-impossible scenarios are common in these types of mangas/shows. Why? Because at the end of the day media like this is meant to entertain the audience, not bore them. We're here to watch an anime, NOT a historical documentary. Jeez.

While I agree with most of your reply, I think the 'over exaggeration' of some of the powers of characters is probably the most valid critique I've seen on this show thus far. Meticulous detail went in to making the setting, characters and tone of the story realistic. I can see how the more silly exaggerations like characters jumping 10 ft into the air could break some peoples suspension of disbelief. Honestly I really don't care much about it because Vinland Saga isn't really about the battles anyway, and it's also not like Thors' fate would've been any different would he not be able to jump 10 ft. So yeah, if one wishes to nitpick, I guess this would be valid. It always makes me chuckle though, it's really like those old sagas to over-exaggerate "how great this warrior was", so I take it as a nod to that type of storytelling.
Aug 4, 2019 6:16 AM

Aug 2018
Everything was intense with this episode, cant wait to see the next one.
Aug 5, 2019 1:07 AM
Jul 2019
xeco said:
mfw people saying this is aoty but its literraly a generic story of a kid wanting revenge and messing up for being too dumb

this. I really dont see what all the fuss is about. Cool story, but aoty? Really? For me, what this episode really laked was the realization for the kid that this was all his fault. Yeah, you can be angry at the guy who killed your father, but if you hadn't been so freaking stupid to stow away in your father's boat in the first place he wouldnt have had to surrender in the first place.
Aug 5, 2019 1:59 AM
Dec 2018
Arethusa_Vespera said:
Yandere-Dragon said:
I don't like it either, the worst for me was when Thors jumped 10feet into the air from ship to ship. The 20 arrows at least could technically happen in a very strange case so that didn't bother me as much as the super human jumping.

It's blatantly clear from episode one that this was going to be a >>dramatized<< telling of Thorfinn's and Thors's life. The mangaka did a lot of research to keep the setting, clothes, etc. as historically accurate as possible, but at the end of the day, this is an ANIME, A. N. I. M.E. Having super-human characters and near-impossible scenarios are common in these types of mangas/shows. Why? Because at the end of the day media like this is meant to entertain the audience, not bore them. We're here to watch an anime, NOT a historical documentary. Jeez.

just because its an anime dosent mean it has to be so ilogical. killing 20 people alone. well ok i can take that. but breaking a ship with your sword? comon.
Aug 5, 2019 12:19 PM

Jul 2009
Phenomenal episode! Thor's death is so well-done that I was left breathless during the whole scene. I understand where Askeladd's coming from for bending the rules of the duel, and his smackdown of Arin is oddly satisfying lol. The fact that Thorfinn is able to shake up Askeladd's men with his anger, coupled with the amazing performance of his seiyuu, gives me chills.

Only four episodes out, yet I'm already hoping WIT will be able to adapt the entire manga like what they're doing with SnK.
Aug 5, 2019 2:33 PM
Aug 2018
Tsarko said:
Gwick said:
Dumb kid is dumb and dad is killed from dumb kid being dumb also dumb kids dad is a pacifist viking and gets killed from being a pacifist viking, i don't think it'll be AOTY, but it'll be a nice watch (as long as dumb kid turns into smart kid)

Thorfinn didn't do anything that got his dad killed, he was just standing there with rest watching. Thors was dead as soon as he arrived at Faroe islands and nothing would have changed that.
Also, his pacifism is what actually saved everyone in his crew. Otherwise everyone would have been sold as slaves.

Ok i can understand the episode now, i read some other comments about the archers that would've shot everyone that i completely forgot about, so i get how his sacrifice was necessary and not just caused by something dumb
Aug 5, 2019 3:02 PM
Obscure Anime Ma
Jan 2017
Man in only 4 episodes I had huge respect for Thor’s and choosing to try to end everything with no lives lost. Also, he should how much of a warrior by dying standing up. I wonder what had happened if he would have just killed Askeladd
Aug 7, 2019 2:08 AM

May 2016
I'm just speechless *cries in a corner*
Aug 7, 2019 4:49 AM
Jun 2016
I'm a little annoyed that Thors didn't at least decimate the people on the other boat. That way when he had his little noble fight, he could have used the enemy boat for it and I dunno, had the others fucking push off and head toward land using anything to shield themselves from enemy arrows. And then Thors could have died heroically by pretending good morals had any place in life vs death scenario. Also, that stupid black-haired kid rushing in after the deal has been met - fucking kill him. His childish pride and desire for battle almost got everyone else killed too, or sentenced to slavery. Fucking idiot.

I dunno, I think Thors' death fell flat to me. This is a bit disappointing, actually. Not enough to get me to stop watching, but still something I'm gonna be a little bitter about.
Aug 7, 2019 12:32 PM

Jun 2015
This unfortunate event was one of the few things i previously knew from the manga. I like how Thors kept living up to his ideals until the end. Askeladd is a prick but he still got some honor.
Also, keikaku everywhere
Switch_ZAug 7, 2019 12:37 PM
Aug 9, 2019 9:06 PM
Feb 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
They threw any pretending to realism just like the father guy threw them into water with a fist slap. Well, at least they are not aiming high and don't pretend like it.

I often get annoyed at unrealistic things in anime, but this makes sense to me. I think a lot of aspects of this show aim for realism.. But Thors is supposed to be like a hero out of a Saga. Larger than life and able to do great feats (like row for five men). The old eddas have a lot of legendary characters like that.
Aug 10, 2019 1:30 AM
Apr 2016
Lysmerry said:
Daniel_Naumov said:
They threw any pretending to realism just like the father guy threw them into water with a fist slap. Well, at least they are not aiming high and don't pretend like it.

I often get annoyed at unrealistic things in anime, but this makes sense to me. I think a lot of aspects of this show aim for realism.. But Thors is supposed to be like a hero out of a Saga. Larger than life and able to do great feats (like row for five men). The old eddas have a lot of legendary characters like that.

B-but they are also a fiction!
Oh, I see.
Aug 11, 2019 1:51 PM
Nov 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:

What? The show is not aiming high? Do all your 2,000+ comments have this level of understanding for a show?
Aug 11, 2019 2:34 PM
Apr 2016
Hegar said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

What? The show is not aiming high? Do all your 2,000+ comments have this level of understanding for a show?

Extremely insightful opinion on the matter, but please move along. There are limits as on whom I will waste my time imitating discussion.
Aug 11, 2019 2:54 PM
Nov 2018
Daniel_Naumov said:
Hegar said:

Extremely insightful opinion on the matter, but please move along. There are limits as on whom I will waste my time imitating discussion.

Poor guy can't answer. :)

I see you live on the forum, so I understand you have a high opinion about your posts. But while the father's fight was unrealistic - welcome to anime - it's ridiculous to say the show isn't aiming high. A lot of people are naming if the anime of the year, and I am inclined to agree. "Not aiming high" because you didn't like the fight scene. Okay. But sounding cynical doesn't make you sound intelligent, even though I understand you think so. It's typical for a certain kind of forum commenters.

"I didn't like this scene, the show suhcks!"

Funny how you use bold and italics to emphasize, but you use them completely wrong. Why would "will" be bold and "discussion" be italics? Any intelligence in that mind of yours and you'd know it's "limits" in that sentence that should be emphasized. It's funny to try to read the sentence out loud the way you write it.
Aug 12, 2019 2:33 AM
Apr 2016
Hegar said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Poor guy can't answer. :)

I see you live on the forum, so I understand you have a high opinion about your posts. But while the father's fight was unrealistic - welcome to anime - it's ridiculous to say the show isn't aiming high. A lot of people are naming if the anime of the year, and I am inclined to agree. "Not aiming high" because you didn't like the fight scene. Okay. But sounding cynical doesn't make you sound intelligent, even though I understand you think so. It's typical for a certain kind of forum commenters.

"I didn't like this scene, the show suhcks!"

Funny how you use bold and italics to emphasize, but you use them completely wrong. Why would "will" be bold and "discussion" be italics? Any intelligence in that mind of yours and you'd know it's "limits" in that sentence that should be emphasized. It's funny to try to read the sentence out loud the way you write it.

Well done, now it looks more like an actual opinion, at least. Although not an appropriate one as you used mere couple of words to address the issue, and instead made an extensive attempt at... my dignity or something? Either way, keep growing as an individual and a human being, but until then please refer to commentary #299 in this thread.
Aug 13, 2019 4:08 AM

Nov 2017
Aim1rR said:
Idk Thors's scene was really amazing :(

Thorfinn he could be great fighter like her father but i realize this is all Thors's resposnbility if he didn't die,
Her village will be exposure attack,
He Protected her family :<

Finally someone who didn't blame Thorfinn and knows the consequences.
Aug 13, 2019 7:02 AM
Oct 2007
This is perfect execution in every corners. Episode totally blew me away.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Nov 2015
best episide so far,
Thors is a fine ass character who had to die for his family and his village.
What a man of honor he is!
But i don't really like the kid and his developement seems very shounen.

5/5
Aug 14, 2019 8:49 PM

Mar 2018
Thors was a pretty generic martyr, easy to see this coming but dam. Just like Ned Stark, it hurts
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Aug 15, 2019 8:03 AM

Feb 2019
Amazing episode. Thors was one hell of a great man, but he was too good for this world after all. RIP

My poor boi Thorfinn at the end tho, damn, that's some intense character development there. His father's death hit him hard.

Aug 17, 2019 4:12 AM
Jul 2018
Thorfinn is going to be out for revenge basically. What a great setup for a character instead of giving your main character "the tragic backstory", just let us witness his development. Sad to see Thors's had to go, he was my favorite character so far. When he first got shot by all the arrows, I thought he was going to survive for plot reasons. I was like "nah, this mofo aint dead". Two minutes later I was like "Oh shit.". Honestly people pick up this show, it's great. I hope the show can keep up this level.
Aug 18, 2019 8:26 AM
Aug 2018
I just want to say that I want that kid to drop dead, he can't get over the death of his father, ok, he's young but at the same time he wants to kill everyone just from pure hatred. When he will learn a lesson that those guys didn't have intent to kill him so that's why he is still alive. Just accept that your father gave his life so you don't have to fight omg. That's just my opinion, but besides the annoying brat this show is a masterpiece!
Aug 20, 2019 12:07 AM

Jul 2016
Well, that was... anticlimactic to say the least. I mean, I was expecting Thors to die but the way how it happened was... I don't know, it just didn't leave an impact in me in the slightest.

And so, this "prologue" comes to its end. Thors sure was a fascinating character but now that he's gone, it's time for Thorfinn's development to begin. By the way, I wonder how the studio will handle the next episodes since it seems they will mostly have original content.
Aug 23, 2019 7:23 AM
Oct 2017
Best fight so far in my opinion
Thors Vs Askeladd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ28OlsJZqc
Aug 28, 2019 7:44 AM

Aug 2016
I am kinda half-way sold. Little Eren was predictable and I really hate angry kids, but I hope it will grown on me, as some other anime did. Let's ride the hype I guess.

Edit: I just realized she sounds more like Armin with Eren issues. Then I realized that angry boy voice annoys me because it's woman's. Also it's not Armin, but other VActress that voices some of my favorite girls. I am not sure if it ruined Thorfinn for me or Syr from Danmachi.
Martin_TaylorAug 28, 2019 7:54 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 8, 2019 1:24 AM

Jun 2012
I can't believe this was only episode 4, all the more fuel for my anticipation.

Sep 22, 2019 5:42 PM
Jun 2013
Dumb little boy...sneaks off to war and gets held hostage allowing his father to get killed. Then the idiot is a stowaway on the enemy ship, away from his friends, and thinks he's actually gonna do something?! cmon...
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.