Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 21, 2019 3:05 PM

Nov 2013
haven't visited r/anime in years but from what i remember so many people had their myanimelist accounts linked on their account flair. i really don't feel like the userbase is all that different, you just don't see certain 'subgroups' of it that are more evident on mal since it's an all-in-one platform where you can host various clubs with ease and there's subforums to browse with permanent discussions that are accessible. on reddit there's plenty of subreddits splintered off from r/anime like trueanime where you just see the same type of folks as mal. where something might not be deemed 'appropriate' for the main subreddit, the content always ended up on one of the other ones linked to it anyway.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 21, 2019 3:07 PM

Aug 2013
L0NES0ME said:
How about just enforce the subs rules, and don't enforce self made rules? Not hard. But every mod wants to act like they own the sub and delete stuff that isn't against the rules, which makes people who follow the rules mad.

Granted, the 'heavily implied sexual content' is pretty subjective, but the deleted pics do fit the bill.
Still a pretty silly complaint imo, that on the whole comes off as whiny for reasons Pullman summarized better already. That happened on Anilist a while back as well and honestly, it's always cringeworthy.

YossaRedMage said:
It's funny how some people, instead of participating in the conversation, make passive aggressive remarks that belittle others for taking things which matter to them seriously, as if there is an objective standard of what people are allowed to care about and having individual preferences is not allowed.

Oh wait. That's not funny. It's sad and pathetic.

And then you get mad over it.
How respectable of you.
May 21, 2019 3:28 PM

Feb 2012
Reddit has been an extreme left echochamber for years and it is only going to get worse. It's useless to think there is some rule as to why it is so. They also hate their gaming subreddits with passion.
May 21, 2019 3:47 PM

Apr 2018
Satyr_icon said:
L0NES0ME said:
How about just enforce the subs rules, and don't enforce self made rules? Not hard. But every mod wants to act like they own the sub and delete stuff that isn't against the rules, which makes people who follow the rules mad.

Granted, the 'heavily implied sexual content' is pretty subjective, but the deleted pics do fit the bill.
Still a pretty silly complaint imo, that on the whole comes off as whiny for reasons Pullman summarized better already. That happened on Anilist a while back as well and honestly, it's always cringeworthy.

YossaRedMage said:
It's funny how some people, instead of participating in the conversation, make passive aggressive remarks that belittle others for taking things which matter to them seriously, as if there is an objective standard of what people are allowed to care about and having individual preferences is not allowed.

How respectable of you.

I see what you're saying but it's not all that subjective since they outlined what you can and can't post. I didn't see what the OP posted, so I can't comment on that situation.
May 21, 2019 3:49 PM
Dec 2017
Cabron said:
"I'm so sick of this nonsense. Since when is anime for children? I'm sure the vast majority of the anime fans on this sub and in general like anime for it's more adult nature compared to most western animation. I'm an adult and I want to enjoy my adult hobby without being infantalized. Why must I be treated like a child because there might be some children reading the sub?"

That's a really big oof from me dawg.

Anyway r/anime can shove it.
I stopped visiting that place the moment I realized they don't know shit about mecha and the huge circlejerks.

Imaishi said:
I personally hate r/anime (to be frank I've been growing tired of reddit in general, it's one huge circlejerk) for anything more than news - discussion has no place in reddit. The whole upvote/downvote system actually discourages expressing any opinion that is unpopular. The whole 'cool points' or messages getting hidden if people don't like them is sheer retardation if you want people to exchange opinions.
Especially if you have some criticism against an anime the subreddit has currently a boner for. Your post/comment goes invisible in a matter of minutes.
Interesting posts get no traction, and instead every other day you see something like "I JUST WATCHED COWBOY BEBOP AND IT WAS GOOD" thing that no one will disagree with, there will be no discussion, just a bunch of circlejerking comments.
It fucking sucks. MAL and even /a/ are sooooo much better to discuss anime than reddit can ever be.

But even disregarding the silly system, the community does indeed seem too 'normie' for what's supposed to be anime community, people actively hate on some pretty standard anime things and it baffles me. It should all be hero academia for them.
Pretty much my same thoughts lol.

As for discussing anime on /a/, don't go to it if you want to talk about mecha.
Cabron said:
"I'm so sick of this nonsense. Since when is anime for children? I'm sure the vast majority of the anime fans on this sub and in general like anime for it's more adult nature compared to most western animation. I'm an adult and I want to enjoy my adult hobby without being infantalized. Why must I be treated like a child because there might be some children reading the sub?"

That's a really big oof from me dawg.

Anyway r/anime can shove it.
I stopped visiting that place the moment I realized they don't know shit about mecha and the huge circlejerks.

Imaishi said:
I personally hate r/anime (to be frank I've been growing tired of reddit in general, it's one huge circlejerk) for anything more than news - discussion has no place in reddit. The whole upvote/downvote system actually discourages expressing any opinion that is unpopular. The whole 'cool points' or messages getting hidden if people don't like them is sheer retardation if you want people to exchange opinions.
Especially if you have some criticism against an anime the subreddit has currently a boner for. Your post/comment goes invisible in a matter of minutes.
Interesting posts get no traction, and instead every other day you see something like "I JUST WATCHED COWBOY BEBOP AND IT WAS GOOD" thing that no one will disagree with, there will be no discussion, just a bunch of circlejerking comments.
It fucking sucks. MAL and even /a/ are sooooo much better to discuss anime than reddit can ever be.

But even disregarding the silly system, the community does indeed seem too 'normie' for what's supposed to be anime community, people actively hate on some pretty standard anime things and it baffles me. It should all be hero academia for them.
Pretty much my same thoughts lol.

As for discussing anime on /a/, don't go to it if you want to talk about mecha.
It's the same ciclejerk this place has and in 4chan the problem is worse,it's all shitposting and waifufags.
May 21, 2019 4:10 PM

Jun 2017
This is off-topic, but I stopped visiting r/Anime when I was trash talked for disliking Darling in the Franxx.
Instead of constructive answers, I got shit like "LOL your opinion is TRASH XDXDXD"
Yeah, no thanks.
http://steinsgate.jp/10th/ FGO:591,495,201 (NA)
May 21, 2019 4:12 PM

Aug 2013
L0NES0ME said:
I see what you're saying but it's not all that subjective since they outlined what you can and can't post. I didn't see what the OP posted, so I can't comment on that situation.

They do outline some things, but they list the 'heavily implied sexual content' as a separate item, which is very open to interpretation. Just imagine if someone posted a pic of a girl touching herself over her underwear. It wouldn't really breach any of the listed rules per se, but is it 'light fanservice' or 'heavily implied sexual content'? That would easily sparkle discussion because the line between the two varies from person to person, just like it happened with the matter at hand.
May 21, 2019 4:27 PM

Feb 2018
YossaRedMage said:

foxsuprise said:

Er, more fans, more fanart, more people buying subscription to anime streaming (many who watch anime don't even know the existence of CR for ie.), more anime merchandise sold (same deal as CR), more people in anime cons, more people to talk to?
Whew, this made me laugh.

More fanart? Really?

More people subscribed to anime streaming being benefical is very debatable. Very, very little of that money will go to creative minds and animators that make anime. You might have slightly more variety and occasionally get a more well-produced show, but well-produced doesn't mean a better piece of art. It just means more eye candy. Some of the best anime come from a time when there was much less money in the industry. There's also the effect that increased profitability has on an industry in terms of attracting investors that seek to make big profit content with mainstream appeal. I think there is a lot to be said for how anime being a small subculture enriched the artisitc integrity comared to stuff like Hollywood movies. I could go on and on about this subject but to just outright say "lol but more CR subscirbers is good" is so flippant. It's as if you think anime isn't good enough and hasn't produced enough good work over the years so there needs to be more money. Even if that were the case (which it isn't), money is not the answer.

More anime merch? I'm sorry, have you bought it all? Is there not enough for you?

More people in anime cons? Again, are you running out of people to talk to at cons? Surely a small, intimate gathering where you can actaully get to know people is better than a giant clusterfuck of people.

More people to talk to? One of the reasons I've started to use MAL more than Reddit is because there is less people here. As with my last point, it's more intimate and you can get to know people better.

I'm glad you got a good laugh though.

First of all, why didn't you talk about the rest of my points? You're quite focusing away from my critique of the original post. Not even acknowledgement?

"let's focus on the 10% of the post! Derail the original comment!"

Reddit was unfair like you said, but in a different way from what you think. Reddit was always popular vote. The rules didn't change to cater to "normies". To suggest that is a poor argument in and out.

secondly,
May 21, 2019 4:37 PM

May 2009
mecharobot said:
They also hate their gaming subreddits with passion.
I dunno about you but /r/truegaming and /r/patientgamers and /r/JRPG and to a lesser extent /r/retrogaming get pretty interesting discussions. (/r/retrogaming gets less because people keep posting their setups.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 21, 2019 4:37 PM

Apr 2018
Satyr_icon said:
L0NES0ME said:

They do outline some things, but they list the 'heavily implied sexual content' as a separate item, which is very open to interpretation. Just imagine if someone posted a pic of a girl touching herself over her underwear. It wouldn't really breach any of the listed rules per se, but is it 'light fanservice' or 'heavily implied sexual content'? That would easily sparkle discussion because the line between the two varies from person to person, just like it happened with the matter at hand.

Well that should definitely be deleted if she has her hand over her underwear in an implied sexual manner.

But in my case I just linked some H series here on MAL with non provocative images. Still got deleted and nothing I posted was against the rules.
May 21, 2019 4:39 PM

Apr 2018
Gamefan121 said:
This is off-topic, but I stopped visiting r/Anime when I was trash talked for disliking Darling in the Franxx.
Instead of constructive answers, I got shit like "LOL your opinion is TRASH XDXDXD"
Yeah, no thanks.

I said the CGI singing/dancing scenes from Zombieland Saga looked horrible and got a little over 100 dislikes. That place is cancerous.
May 21, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2009
YossaRedMage said:
More people to talk to? One of the reasons I've started to use MAL more than Reddit is because there is less people here. As with my last point, it's more intimate and you can get to know people better.

I just want to point out that the MAL userbase is VERY LARGE. In fact I think it might be the biggest of the anime listing sites, by userbase.
May 21, 2019 4:43 PM

Apr 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
YossaRedMage said:

I just want to point out that the MAL userbase is VERY LARGE. In fact I think it might be the biggest of the anime listing sites, by userbase.

Maybe he's talking about the discord which is rather small. Or perhaps the episodic forum threads.
May 21, 2019 4:46 PM

Mar 2018
''This is the biggest anime subreddit that should surely be most representative of not only what the community wants but what anime is - a highly adult themed medium, especially when it comes to sexual content.''

I guess this is the problem? The most popular anime in the west aren't aimed at adults, and mostly use sexual content for comedy. Maybe you overestimate the amount of people who are drawn to the way anime uses sexual content, especially if r/anime is the biggest community chances are most aren't. I'm not that familiar with Reddit though I left when /watchpeopledie got deleted. But I agree this is a problem because they shouldn't exclude people who like sexual content if a large part enjoy it
poop
May 21, 2019 5:04 PM

Aug 2013
L0NES0ME said:
But in my case I just linked some H series here on MAL with non provocative images. Still got deleted and nothing I posted was against the rules.

Did you post the MAL page of the series or the link to read/watch it online? If it's the first then it's weird, but if it's the latter it's bound to get deleted.
May 21, 2019 5:08 PM

Jan 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
YossaRedMage said:

he may also mean in terms of total users browsing the forums like this current MAL Forum Statistics - Users Browsing Forums: 378 (and a lot of that forum activity belongs to Forum Games too) while in reddit /r/anime it has 5,538 users browsing it at the moment
May 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Apr 2018
Satyr_icon said:
L0NES0ME said:

Did you post the MAL page of the series or the link to read/watch it online? If it's the first then it's weird, but if it's the latter it's bound to get deleted.

I posted the MAL page of the series. Posting the actual source is illegal and against the subs rules. But why is that weird? We all watch it.
May 21, 2019 5:43 PM

Sep 2014
I think I hated that sub since I first saw it. I still browse it sometimes because interesting stuff gets posted there, sadly the name r/anime gets all the attention.

Its basically a no fun allowed zone. If you dont praise something as 10/10 and use some overly positive descriptions which lost all meaning because everything these days is "great and amazing" you dont belong. They dont even allow the best anime bots on reddit, all while constantly spamming their recommendation bot in posts it doesnt belong.
This really is a normie sub. Thats fine, but it drives everyone else away imo.

The entire look of the sub already makes me feel like its actually the year 2005.

regarding the unnecessary strict NSFW rules, yes thats BS. They should create sfwanime if they want to censor one of the biggest parts of anime - fanservice.

IIRC they also force the use of the not working old spoiler format instead of the new sidewide one.

Atleast all the other anime subs and their communities are kinda fun. Though you notice the normification when they grow to big.

I think r/anime is just like r/gameofthrones, a true sub for kneelers. If you want to learn some interesting reddit history, go read about the creation of freefolk.

PS: @GlennMargusHarvey I thought MAL is pretty much the biggest english speaking anime community. Thats the entire reason its still relevant even after the long downtime last year, right?
Comander-07May 21, 2019 5:47 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 21, 2019 6:36 PM

May 2009
deg said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

he may also mean in terms of total users browsing the forums like this current MAL Forum Statistics - Users Browsing Forums: 378 (and a lot of that forum activity belongs to Forum Games too) while in reddit /r/anime it has 5,538 users browsing it at the moment
Fair enough.

Though a few thousand people is still only a tiny chunk of the entire anime fanbase in the west, which numbers in the millions at least.

@Comander-07 there's no "r"in "Magus" so you're lucky I noticed your post. :P

Anyway I don't have stats on that but I would presume MAL is probably the biggest anime listing site.
May 21, 2019 7:19 PM

Sep 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
mecharobot said:
They also hate their gaming subreddits with passion.
I dunno about you but /r/truegaming and /r/patientgamers and /r/JRPG and to a lesser extent /r/retrogaming get pretty interesting discussions. (/r/retrogaming gets less because people keep posting their setups.)
Just ignore that guy lol, "extreme left echochamber" and "/r/The_Donald" literally existing appears to be incompatible with their agenda of willful ignorance.
May 21, 2019 7:35 PM
Nov 2016
Even adults don’t like misplaced sexual content
May 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Feb 2019
L0NES0ME said:
Gamefan121 said:
Yeah, no thanks.

I said the CGI singing/dancing scenes from Zombieland Saga looked horrible and got a little over 100 dislikes. That place is cancerous.
Reddit by design is an echo chamber, especially the voting system is bad for debate since most of the unpopular opinion will downvoted

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 21, 2019 8:31 PM

Feb 2014
BaronBrixius said:

No, you're making a fundamental mistake here. This isn't an integral part of what "makes anime what it is". It's not as essential to anime as cheese is to pizza. It is not representative of the entire anime community.

r/anime is the central anime sub, and thus the priority should be for it to be as accessible as possible - unlike literally every other anime subreddit. Heavy NSFW alienates lots of casuals, while no NSFW doesn't alienate anyone - you don't need it to be on r/anime.

This entire thing of having make SUPER-SPECIFIC subreddits is already BS to me, and it only fragments communities. If i go /a/ i can pretty discuss specific series, anime in general, manga in general, light novels in general or etc and it works really well.

Ryuk9428 said:
I'm not really sure where some anime fans of getting this impression that western animation is tame and Japanese anime is sexual and mature. I mean, we got South Park and Family Guy over here.

As for this subject though, I'd say you'd probably like /a/ a lot more than reddit. 4chan doesn't really censor anything.

It really is, though.
Western "adult" animation purposefully aims to have little animation (With the exception of "The Simpsions") and be cynical as a way of saying "I'm being an animation ironically XD", also they try to hard by shoving sex and/or drugs whenever possible as a way of saying "S-s-see? T-this is adult, g-guys...".
Anime, in the other hand, does so while fully recognizing and embracing being animation.

Let's not also forget that one o the reasons anime was successful here in the west was that it filled the gap of not having animations made for teenagers.

@OP

I agree with you that we shouldn't sanitize anime for accessibility, quality is better than quantity anyway.
And yes, r/anime is THE normie place for anime.
May 21, 2019 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
thewiru said:
It really is, though.
Western "adult" animation purposefully aims to have little animation (With the exception of "The Simpsions") and be cynical as a way of saying "I'm being an animation ironically XD", also they try to hard by shoving sex and/or drugs whenever possible as a way of saying "S-s-see? T-this is adult, g-guys...".
Anime, in the other hand, does so while fully recognizing and embracing being animation.

Let's not also forget that one o the reasons anime was successful here in the west was that it filled the gap of not having animations made for teenagers.
Hey man I can generalize as well but that won't get us anywhere.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 21, 2019 8:46 PM

May 2009
Can't you just go and post whatever you want in r/anime?

I'm not even subscribed to it and I can post to it.

I mean it's a second issue whether the mods will take it down later. But the fact that you can just post whatever you want to it means that you can start a discussion on anything, and you can keep it going, provided that it follows the rules.

It does actually say "Lightly NSFW things are okay", which probably means a cute girl blushing in a bikini is probably fine but "covers nothing but the nipples" probably isn't. Besides, it doesn't say that you can't discuss fanservice or sexuality, and hey look...

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/brhil8/which_show_has_the_shortest_skirts/

Enjoy a thread that involves fanservice. It's literally right on the front page.

thewiru said:
Ryuk9428 said:
I'm not really sure where some anime fans of getting this impression that western animation is tame and Japanese anime is sexual and mature. I mean, we got South Park and Family Guy over here.

As for this subject though, I'd say you'd probably like /a/ a lot more than reddit. 4chan doesn't really censor anything.

It really is, though.
You are wayyyy too attached to your pet interpretation of this, to the point of attaching not just motives but even quotes indicating motive to broad average trends, and also conveniently ignoring all contravening evidence.

Sure, anime is different from western animation, in many ways, but western animation for older audiences -- both comedy and drama -- has existed for many years now. Anime for kids also exists abundantly, but just isn't discussed much on anime forums like here.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 21, 2019 8:50 PM
May 21, 2019 8:54 PM

Feb 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey

If you could present me such contravening evidence...

It's not a lie, though, animation on TV (And let me stress, ON TV) here in the west tend to boil down to either:
-Cartoons for children and/or teenagers that are pretty tame
-Cartoons for adults that are cynical and edgy

There rarely some middle ground, and there are reasons for that (Funny enough, one of them is anime), which i would link the video here if i remembered the title.
May 21, 2019 9:02 PM

Mar 2019
thewiru said:
BaronBrixius said:

No, you're making a fundamental mistake here. This isn't an integral part of what "makes anime what it is". It's not as essential to anime as cheese is to pizza. It is not representative of the entire anime community.

r/anime is the central anime sub, and thus the priority should be for it to be as accessible as possible - unlike literally every other anime subreddit. Heavy NSFW alienates lots of casuals, while no NSFW doesn't alienate anyone - you don't need it to be on r/anime.

This entire thing of having make SUPER-SPECIFIC subreddits is already BS to me, and it only fragments communities. If i go /a/ i can pretty discuss specific series, anime in general, manga in general, light novels in general or etc and it works really well.

Ryuk9428 said:

It really is, though.

@OP

I agree with you that we shouldn't sanitize anime for accessibility, quality is better than quantity anyway.
And yes, r/anime is THE normie place for anime.

I'm just gonna say that, we all know that the idea that Japanese anime is mostly made for "children" is wrong. However, I highly dispute your idea that teenagers are not a huge market for anime. The vast majority of anime is created at least with teenagers in mind. I'd say 90% of anime watchers are between the ages of 15-25. You could probably further narrow it down to 50%, maybe as much as 60% being between 15-19 years old. you can see that just by looking at this site. Most people here are teenagers. Its not that adults can't enjoy anime I'm just saying that the vast majority of Japanese anime clearly targets teenagers believing them to be the main demographic. A huge percentage of anime primarily involves high school aged characters. Almost every anime I've seen in-fact, has a high school aged character.

I'd argue that Western animation is kind of the same way. Family Guy, Rick and Morty, and South Park mostly target the 15-25 age range. I'd say college aged kids are more who they have in mind than high schoolers, but the difference is minimal cause a lot of high schoolers watch those shows. Part of it could just be that this age demographic consumes a huge amount of media. Almost all music outside of opera or jazz targets that age demographic as well.

Western animation filled with sex and drugs is essentially just the cartoon version of a lot of live action comedy films like Neighbors, American Pie, and Project X. Since Western animation is mostly comedy, this makes sense.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2019 9:32 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

It's not a lie, though, animation on TV (And let me stress, ON TV) here in the west tend to boil down to either:

There rarely some middle ground, and there are reasons for that (Funny enough, one of them is anime), which i would link the video here if i remembered the title.
What is lacking is good western animated heavy drama that's not for kids, even though a number of seemingly kids' cartoons do explore deeper themes. That said, the most obvious ones are the entire Avatar franchise and RWBY.

Meanwhile, though, there are quite a variety of shows that aren't "cynical and edgy". Would include everything from Steven Universe to King of the Hill.
May 21, 2019 10:02 PM

Feb 2014
@Ryuk9428

Actually, based on my other posts my point is that a big part of anime IS made for teenagers, so i don't disagree with you, lol.

I'd argue that Western animation is kind of the same way. Family Guy, Rick and Morty, and South Park mostly target the 15-25 age range. I'd say college aged kids are more who they have in mind than high schoolers, but the difference is minimal cause a lot of high schoolers watch those shows. Part of it could just be that this age demographic consumes a huge amount of media. Almost all music outside of opera or jazz targets that age demographic as well.

Western animation filled with sex and drugs is essentially just the cartoon version of a lot of live action comedy films like Neighbors, American Pie, and Project X. Since Western animation is mostly comedy, this makes sense.

I would disagree on the age ranges, but i rather make another point:
A lot of the appeal from anime, as oposed to western "adult" cartoons is that while, as i said and apparently you agree, western cartoons "try too hard" and end up being farfetched, anime goes for a "respect your audience" approach.
Containing things like blood and darker themes, but without being ONLY that, also having a story. I mean, we all praise Digimon Tamers for that, right?

While nowadays the west has no problem IMPORTING this kind of anime (Without censoring it), they still don't have the "geist" to do such things by themselves (Let's remember that the new Samurai Jack had to air on Adult Swim and the new Castlevania is +18 in lots of countries, and even in the one it isn't, it's because NETFLIX isn't TV, so they can do some things TV can't and get away with it).
Even "tame" anime like Fractale had things i don't imagine the west doing in their animations for that range.
May 21, 2019 10:05 PM

Feb 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
thewiru said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

What is lacking is good western animated heavy drama that's not for kids, even though a number of seemingly kids' cartoons do explore deeper themes. That said, the most obvious ones are the entire Avatar franchise and RWBY.

Meanwhile, though, there are quite a variety of shows that aren't "cynical and edgy". Would include everything from Steven Universe to King of the Hill.

"That said, the most obvious ones are the entire Avatar franchise and RWBY"
That are DIRECTLY based on anime.

And i would put King of the Hill on the cynical list. Well, perhaps cynical isn't the right word for it for the thing i'm trying to express, but it goes in some list.
May 21, 2019 10:08 PM

Feb 2016
I think r/anime_irl and r/animeMIL*s are far superior to r/anime
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
May 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Oct 2011
You're comparing mods from reddit on an anime website where the mods are just as bad if not worse. Makes sense
May 21, 2019 10:32 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

"That said, the most obvious ones are the entire Avatar franchise and RWBY"
That are DIRECTLY based on anime.

And i would put King of the Hill on the cynical list. Well, perhaps cynical isn't the right word for it for the thing i'm trying to express, but it goes in some list.
I'm not even sure King of the Hill even really counts as comedy. Wikipedia just calls it a sitcom.

And you are indeed right in observing that anime largely dominates the animated drama niche, and that RWBY and Avatar take after anime very much (though the term "based on" is a rather odd choice when the term usually gets used for adaptations of something within a franchise).
May 21, 2019 10:56 PM

Mar 2019
thewiru said:
@Ryuk9428

Actually, based on my other posts my point is that a big part of anime IS made for teenagers, so i don't disagree with you, lol.

I would disagree on the age ranges, but i rather make another point:
A lot of the appeal from anime, as oposed to western "adult" cartoons is that while, as i said and apparently you agree, western cartoons "try too hard" and end up being farfetched, anime goes for a "respect your audience" approach.
Containing things like blood and darker themes, but without being ONLY that, also having a story. I mean, we all praise Digimon Tamers for that, right?

While nowadays the west has no problem IMPORTING this kind of anime (Without censoring it), they still don't have the "geist" to do such things by themselves (Let's remember that the new Samurai Jack had to air on Adult Swim and the new Castlevania is +18 in lots of countries, and even in the one it isn't, it's because NETFLIX isn't TV, so they can do some things TV can't and get away with it).
Even "tame" anime like Fractale had things i don't imagine the west doing in their animations for that range.

Sometimes that's the case, but there's plenty of Japanese animes that I would say are mostly known for something like that. Hellsing for example really doesn't have a great story. The story is pretty much nazi vampires invade London because they love war and Alucard is this ridiculously powerful vampire that's going to kill them all. the main reason I think its somewhat well known is because it has Nazi vampires, and because of its excessive levels of blood and gore. Its a pretty easy example of an anime that I'd say is edgy for the sake of being edgy. In a way, I'd say Hellsing is very similar to Castlevania.

As far as sex goes, we've got the entire Ecchi genre where a lot of shows are basically borderline porn. Plenty of ecchi has a good story but some definitely rely on very heavy amounts of sexuality in order to sell to the point where those animes are more known for their sexual content than their story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2019 11:18 PM

May 2009
Dinoceros said:
I think r/anime_irl and r/animeMIL*s are far superior to r/anime
The first one is just a pile of pics and the second one is private.
May 21, 2019 11:23 PM
Mar 2018
Thank you for the imgur link!!!!!!!

P.S. - Why didnt the OP just label the post as NSFW?
May 22, 2019 6:22 AM

Jun 2015
Never used reddit but so much drama over a deleted link acting accordingly to the guidelines of the page. If anything, "The State of r/anime" is also having people like you around who can't move on after one thing like this happens to the point that has to complain even here.

I'm so sick of this nonsense. Since when is anime for children? I'm sure the vast majority of the anime fans on this sub and in general like anime for it's more adult nature compared to most western animation. I'm an adult and I want to enjoy my adult hobby without being infantalized.
Since the beginning I guess. Also adult = risqué pictures, and a SFW environment is being infantalized? You just miss the purpose of having those guidelines in the first place, and certainly there are people that would prefer not having the forums spammed with anime ass and tits. That some mods might be more strict than others, well, that's just how it is. It's a matter of knowing where certain things are appropiate or not, instead of this prepubescent read of being infantalized against your will.
May 22, 2019 6:59 AM

Oct 2017
Want to reply to a few comments that have poppsed up since yesterday. I was going to leave it as I think I've made most of the points I wanted to and don't want to get stuck in endless debates, but there are a few things to clear up.

Satyr_icon said:
YossaRedMage said:

How respectable of you.

I mean... Repect is earned and the comment I replied to wasn't very deserving of respect. So I made fun of it. I wasn't mad. I was quite proud of that comeback actually. It was funny and got my point across. You shouldn't expect much more when you don't contribute to the convo and belittle people.

@Gamefan121

Hating on DitF on r/anime has become quite popular from what I see. Maybe you didn't word it to their liking. Problem with Reddit karma is that the lurkers are the ones you need to please. The anti-social, casual readers who sit back and judge instead of participating. You have to please people with that kind of mentality. They don't like it when people talk in certain ways because they're over-sensitive. I think most of the people you talk to on there who actually post are - ironically enough - less likely to thrown downvotes around carelessly because they understand how it feels to get brigaded.

@foxsurprise

I only replied to that part of the post because it was the only part I was interested in. I don't think I was moving the goalposts so much as ignoring half the goal. I specifically wanted to talk about the notion that a larger community is somehow automatically better. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I won't go in to detail as you've said you won't reply and I respect that. I will just say that while I think you make some good points, I still think there is a cap on how much benefit there is to the number individuals in a community. If r/anime had 500k subs instead of 1m, it would be pretty much the same. Only there would be more opportunity to get to know people as you recognize their username more often and less casual normie fans who bring a perspective that has less respect for the medium than the more devoted fans. I think the quality of conversation would actually be better.

@GlennMagusHarvey
@L0NES0ME
@deg

I was talking about the MAL forums. While MAL might have a bigger userbase than r/anime has subs, the point deg made about active users is relevant. I have barely used the MAL forums compared to my activity on r/anime. There are two people that I know from r/anime that I can think of. There are five that I have began to recognize and even get an undestanding for their personality and general opinions from the 20-30 threads I've read on here. I think that says a huge amount for the difference in quality of community.

@nep-nep

r/The_Donald is the exception that proves the rule. I fancy myself a moderate (though as someone who disagrees with much of far-left politics, I am just another alt-right nazi to them) and even I can see that Reddit is extremely politically left-leaning from a social standpoint. Economically it is much more diverse.

@thewiru
@GlennMagusHarvey

Bringing up RWBY and Avatar is another example of exceptions that prove the rule. I can understand wanting to defend western animation but what thewiru says is true. As usual when I read his opinions on this sort of thing I find myself in total agreement.

@Ryuk9428

A great point about Hellsing and shows like it. It's the other side of the coin to RWBY and Avatar. Exceptions that prove the rule. To go a bit further, I actually don't mind that there is this distinction between western and Japanese animation. Sure, I prefer anime and think it's better than western animation. But of course I do, I'm an anime fan. I wouldn't be a fan of something if I thought it was inferior. But my opinion shouldn't affect how other people enjoy their thing, just like I don't give a fuck about the opinions of people outside of the anime community.

Though it does bother me when the normie casual fans that seep in to r/anime from the rest of Reddit start to talk about anime in a disrespectful way when they don't even represent the community. It's extremely arrogant to think you can go in to a community and tell them what to think and criticize the object of their passion when you aren't deeply involved. Hell, even though I'm at a point where I have tons of merch, I know a decent amount of Japanese (enough for simple conversation), I've been to Japan, and I consider myself 100% invested, I will still see people with much bigger lists than me and give them the necessary respect because they are arguably bigger fans than me. It's about being humble.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
May 22, 2019 7:25 AM

Jan 2013
@YossaRedMage Fine, keep thinking that it's inferior.
Thing is you guys are only looking at the US, then generalize with that and downplay it.

Yes I get it, you're an anime fan.
I guess for me it's different, since I like all animation in general.
I don't try to pigeonhole myself to one thing, it's all about exploring and experiencing, you'll come out looking less ignorant.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 22, 2019 10:53 AM

May 2009
@YossaRedMage (putting an @ here because I was too lazy to quote then edit)

YossaRedMage said:
I was talking about the MAL forums. While MAL might have a bigger userbase than r/anime has subs, the point deg made about active users is relevant. I have barely used the MAL forums compared to my activity on r/anime. There are two people that I know from r/anime that I can think of. There are five that I have began to recognize and even get an undestanding for their personality and general opinions from the 20-30 threads I've read on here. I think that says a huge amount for the difference in quality of community.
Point take with regards to your taken with regards to your experiences, though I suspect that giving people avatar portraits and setting off their userinfo to the side helps with that compared to reddit's way of shunting usernames into a tiny blurb of text.

YossaRedMage said:
I fancy myself a moderate (though as someone who disagrees with much of far-left politics, I am just another alt-right nazi to them) and even I can see that Reddit is extremely politically left-leaning from a social standpoint.
My hunch is that you're oversimplifying in your perception of political opinions, but whatever.

YossaRedMage said:
Bringing up RWBY and Avatar is another example of exceptions that prove the rule. I can understand wanting to defend western animation but what thewiru says is true. As usual when I read his opinions on this sort of thing I find myself in total agreement.
What about it "is true"? Everyone already knows (and agrees) that western animation and anime are different. The only disagreement there is is the opinion that anime is somehow "better", which is a subjective judgement anyway. Sure, I can say it's "better" on the basis that it's brought me more entertainment, but that's still an arbitrary judgement based on my tastes.
May 22, 2019 11:33 AM

Mar 2019
@YossaRedMage

I mean, I personally like Japanese anime better too. I'm kind of like you in that I do enjoy the cultural aspect of it a lot, I do intend to go to Japan some day and I do want to learn the language too. I think watching anime has given me a much stronger appreciation for Japanese culture than I had before I started watching anime.

I guess though, as far as "edgy" or "adult" content goes, I don't really see much of a difference. I mean, Japanese anime has a lot less profanity because their language in general doesn't have much. But there's animes that are very plot-driven, story based animes, and there are animes that are honestly just edgy for the sake of being edgy (like Hellsing).
May 22, 2019 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
YossaRedMage said:

The omitted pictures aren't even extremely sexual. Certainly nothing that children need to be shielded from. There isn't any nipple and certainly nothing beyond that. It's not as if there aren't plenty of anime-related subreddits that show that kind of content so why does r/anime choose to censor? This is the biggest anime subreddit that should surely be most representative of not only what the community wants but what anime is - a highly adult themed medium, especially when it comes to sexual content.

There is a difference between been more liberated towards sex vs being for adults.
Eg 70s and even 80s anime and media in general were more liberated towards nudity and kids used to watch it. I can hardly count the scenes I watched even in morning and midday tv. Eg the current 80s comedy series I am watching,Miss Machiko, has 95 (!) episodes full of sexist pranks on a poor woman teacher. But it is unpopular for todays standards despite Diskotek licensing and subbing it.
Another battle shonen I watch had a scene with a fully naked woman taking a shower (no Barbie body).
This would not fly with todays audiences and rating boards.
May 22, 2019 2:11 PM

Sep 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey sry, typing on mobile sucks on mal.
I noticed after the long down time last year a lot of people talking about switching to anilist or whatever, but ultimately this is the biggest site for anime and it seems like only very few ever actually left MAL. Being the number 1 site is probably its biggest advantage.
Comander-07May 22, 2019 2:15 PM
May 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Jan 2009
Comander-07 said:
I noticed after the long down time last year a lot of people talking about switching to anilist or whatever, but ultimately this is the biggest site for anime and it seems like only very few ever actually left MAL. Being the number 1 site is probably its biggest advantage.

actually MAL just recently reach 6 million users but CrunchyRoll got 40 million users though so MAL has a long way to go
May 22, 2019 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
Not particularly a fan of reddit, mostly because their points system shuts down any sort of opinion/comment that doesn't align with the vast majority, but i digress.
Is ultimately up to the site admistrators to moderate whatever they want to see in their platform and what they dont want to see in their platform. I mean it was not to long ago that youtube lost a good number of their advertisers because of antisemetic content was being published and media outlets picked up on it, as such the site took new measures to avoid more controversy by updating their guide lines. Is this an act of censorship? well it depends on wich way you look at this issue, a big social website that is as inclusive as reddit (when i say inclusive i am referring to a variety of different topics and communities) cant afford to get wrapped in controversy that may make them lose traffic, while other smaller websites may be more benevolent to that type of content (either by having sub-communities dedicated NSFW or something similar).
May 22, 2019 10:42 PM

Apr 2015
Never use reddit so r/anime can go down hell for all I care, I've heard nothing but bad things about it when it comes to drama or even discussing anime over there. The only use r/anime has is for circle jerking & hive-mind mentality nonsense. If people think mal is bad "I'm looking at you too anidb" then think again.
May 22, 2019 10:50 PM

Nov 2016
I don't really use r/Anime. If I want to discuss a show I look for its subrreddit and post there or I just come here to MAL

That or I check r/Animemes even though its not the brightest humor.
May 22, 2019 11:44 PM

May 2009
Afloo said:
I don't really use r/Anime. If I want to discuss a show I look for its subrreddit and post there or I just come here to MAL
I looked at it and I basically see an entire frontpage full of stuff about shows I haven't watched (mainly because I haven't watched anything currently airing).

The rule against posting series-specific threads in this forum makes quite a lot of sense in light of that.
May 23, 2019 2:20 PM

Sep 2014
deg said:
Comander-07 said:

actually MAL just recently reach 6 million users but CrunchyRoll got 40 million users though so MAL has a long way to go
Crunchyroll is a streaming service. MAl is a forum and database. Thats kinda like comparing it to Netflix. That also has anime.
May 23, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2013
YossaRedMage said:

@nep-nep

r/The_Donald is the exception that proves the rule. I fancy myself a moderate (though as someone who disagrees with much of far-left politics, I am just another alt-right nazi to them) and even I can see that Reddit is extremely politically left-leaning from a social standpoint. Economically it is much more diverse.
The only important/relevant part of my post was literally the first, not my off-topic comment on reddit perception. Well I assume you understand why things are in this position then because everything else is super off-topic at this point.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - Yesterday

28 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do some people watch anime in 1.5x or 2x speed?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

23 by luckyrune »»
5 minutes ago

» What Will It Take for You to Quit Anime?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

16 by FrusDiplo »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime you wished could be forgotten

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

7 by Ratris_Decision »»
6 minutes ago

» How can you spend time with your waifu if she's in the entertainment business?

Catalano - 12 hours ago

13 by Styx_Thistle »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.