Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 17, 2019 12:13 AM

Oct 2008
The fights were cool and all.
But to be honest, i think i seen enough of Broly by the 4th movie.
Feb 17, 2019 12:54 PM

Sep 2015
Can someone watch this with minimal DBS knowledge? I want to show this to a friend that hates DBZ (but has never seen it)
Feb 18, 2019 11:13 AM

Sep 2014
I went in expecting nothing but hory shiet, this was amazing! I really like what they went with here, like Broly literally drinking the blood of his enemies lmao, while being kind at heart (and not the mimimi kakarot cried as a child thing)

my biggest complain would probably be inherent with Supers characterization of Goku though, like did they confuse him wth the Abridged version? And some changes to the saiyan backstory were unnecessary.

Animation Quality: 10/10 Hory Shiieeet. This is how a modern version of Dragonball should look like. The CGI parts in the second half were bad compared to the stunning drawn part though. The most visually stunning action movie I saw since Gundam Thunderbolt December Sky. I will definitely buy the BD when it comes out. The second half had me glued to the screen like no movie ever did since Madoka Rebellion.

Sound: 8/10, even though they overdid it a bit with the game like name announcing. And no KAAAAAAAKAAAAROOOOOOOOT. Well, whatever- that movie sucked compared to this gem.

Frieza getting his ass kicked for over an hour: beyond scale

Cheelai was a nice addition as well and I never expected to see the fusion reborn! Thinking back, some changes really seem unnecessary, I get they had to make him stronger than SSB, but the "legendary Saiyan" backstory was so fitting for him! Atlest the ending pretty much confirmed further movies and as long as they are like this one and less like the Super series, Im absolutely happy to throw more money at them. This was really the best DB movie ever.

Was it fanservice? Absolutely! But boy do I like this kind of fanservice.

Vegeta holding Bulma when she was about to fall from the ice breaking was also a 10/10 moment

Im uncertain for the score, Im probably going with an 8, even though the production quality would justify a 9
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Feb 19, 2019 7:12 PM

Feb 2014
what about Broly's father? hehe

And did I see it correctly? Fanservice in DBZ? xD
Feb 20, 2019 5:25 AM

Jul 2016
Vi- said:

Didn't Paragus already killed by Frieza during the later half of the movie?

Vi- said:

I didn't see any fan-service in this movie. Even if it did it shouldn't even a surprise as this is not the first time a fan-service scenes shows up in DB lol (Bulma shows her panties to Kid Goku, Goku dropped Bulma's panties, Bluma shows her "place" to Roshi and Urigami, Yamcha seeing Bulma bathing and more).
Feb 20, 2019 6:56 AM

Feb 2014
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Vi- said:

Didn't Paragus already killed by Frieza during the later half of the movie?

Yep! I was just thinking that they didn't mention him anymore after that xD Not even, Broly.

MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Vi- said:

I didn't see any fan-service in this movie. Even if it did it shouldn't even a surprise as this is not the first time a fan-service scenes shows up in DB lol (Bulma shows her panties to Kid Goku, Goku dropped Bulma's panties, Bluma shows her "place" to Roshi and Urigami, Yamcha seeing Bulma bathing and more).

Hm, those had comedy in it, in the movie it hadn't any of that, just some camera angles to get a nice view of Cheelai breasts and body. Both are indeed fanservice, I just wanted to mean that in the movie had more "malice" in it. Didn't bother me, I was just somewhat surprised by it ^^
TechOtakuFeb 20, 2019 7:15 AM
Feb 20, 2019 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
Vi- said:
MahiaErebeaNegi said:

Hm, those had comedy in it, in the movie it hadn't any of that, just some camera angles to get a nice view of Cheelai breasts and body. Both are indeed fanservice, I just wanted to mean that in the movie there was more "malice" in it. Didn't bother me, I was just somewhat surprised by it ^^

But it's still counts as fan-service even if it's meant to be comedy lol.

Personally, aside of one scene where Cheelai pulling her armor, I really didn't find anything about those scenes that you referring to be fan-service. Maybe it's just me for not paid attention on those scenes enough, as I found the fight scenes more entertaining than fan-service does in this movie lol.
Feb 23, 2019 5:49 PM

Oct 2013
Holy shit, that was amazing. New favorite character in the DB Universe FOR SURE!

Feb 24, 2019 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
Damn, I missed Dragon Ball so much.
The fight against Broly was so op. The visuals too.
I hope a new season is going to be announced soon. :(
Feb 26, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2014
Holy shit, not really a fan of redoing the whole Broly thing nor the stupid wish of Frieza that doesn't justify the plot but holy shit.

The animation is TOP (but colors are a bit ... strange ? Lots of green appearing out of nowhere in transformations)
Feb 26, 2019 7:05 PM
Nov 2016
This movie was decent, it had its goods and its bads. One of the bads in my opinion was the cringy soundtrack with the commentator saying their names in the fights, that wasn't really necessary but whatever. Another bad thing was the use of CGI in some parts which was also cringy here, there are good CGIs out there and there's bad CGIs as well, I consider this one to be the latter.

The goods, the characters were likable specially that green girl, Broly had more personality here than the old Broly from the previous movies and goddamn, was this Broly OP as fuck!, hell... this guy is seriously broken. He wasn't even a super saiyan lv 1 in the beginning and he was growing through the fight and got to the point were he was at equal standing with Gogeta Blue... this is some serious overpowered bullshit right here, not that I'm complaining though, I always liked this Broly character and hopefully we can see more of him in the future.

One of the things I found weird is:

1) How did Broly's father get the necklace device to control Broly? was that in their spaceship? if that's the case then they never hinted it so I consider that to be some lazy story writing.

2) Frieza's wish to be a bit taller was comedy but it's kinda weird to see Frieza as a comedy type of character, I'm not complaining on this one though.

3) When Broly was fighting Vegeta he got to the point where he was stronger than Vegeta blue and then suddenly Goku jumps in to fight Broly in his base form and holds his own against Broly for a bit, again, this is some inconsistent power level bullshit going on around here, there's no way in hell that Goku in his base form would be stronger than Vegeta blue so I'm calling this bullshit as well and yes, I am complaining on this one.

4) Goku and Vegeta failed twice with Gogeta's transformation, that means they had to wait 30 minutes in each try, this means the complete Gogeta transformation appeared 1 hour later and are you going to tell me that Frieza fought Broly for 1 hour? there's no fucking way in hell he would have lasted that long there with Broly at that stage, he was practically at Gogeta's level by then so he should have killed Frieza in 1 minute or less but 1 hour later Frieza is still alive in one piece? fuck that, that's not consistent at all with the power levels.

5) And lastly, those energy attacks that they are firing right and left through the whole fight that hits the ground should be able to destroy the fucking planet but those attacks are only doing minimal damage and this is pretty fucking weird, not consistent with the power level bullshit at all.
xZabuzaxFeb 26, 2019 7:52 PM
Feb 27, 2019 3:26 AM

Jul 2016
xZabuzax said:
One of the bads in my opinion was the cringy soundtrack with the commentator saying their names in the fights, that wasn't really necessary but whatever.

From what I heard, those awful soundtracks with announcer's voices was made to appeal the western fans (Especially Mexico fans which requested Toei to do so in the first place), so it can make us feel like we are watching wrestling shows like WWE while watching the movie.

xZabuzax said:
he was growing through the fight and got to the point were he was at equal standing with Gogeta Blue...

Not really as SSJ Full Power Broly was started getting weaken by the time he fought Gogeta Blue, his power keep getting weaker so much that he reverted back to original SSJ form by the time Gogeta casts Kamehameha. You can see Broly looked so scared when the Kamehameha blast almost hit him before he teleport back to Planet Vampa by Cheelai.

The way the fight shows up does mislead people for thought that Broly was on par with Gogeta.

xZabuzax said:
5) And lastly, those energy attacks that they are firing right and left through the whole fight that hits the ground should be able to destroy the fucking planet but those attacks are only doing minimal damage and this is pretty fucking weird, not consistent with the power level bullshit at all.

I don't remember this has ever once happened in this series before aside of maybe in the video games. Unless if you refers Frieza blows Earth but that's more on damaging the core than blasting on the ground.
MahiaErebeaNegiFeb 27, 2019 3:33 AM
Mar 3, 2019 7:13 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, this movie was amazing, way better than I expected. The visuals were gorgeous, and the fights were really well made. Broly is good addition to the series, I hope to see more of him in the future. Gogeta becoming canon was also nice.

Also, the first 30 minutes of the movie, about the Planet Vegeta, was amazing, one of the best DB-related thing that I have watched. I really want to see more of Bardock, a great character.
Mar 3, 2019 2:01 PM

May 2013
Loved seeing some backstories to the characters! It was a little weird they ignored the first 3 broly movies ever existed, but i found this movie to be better than those so im happy with it.
Mar 4, 2019 2:11 PM

Apr 2017
Would've been better if longer. Movie felt cut up and a mess. Broly's first transformation scene had no build-up, emotion or impact. Scene was like:
>Broly losing
>Frieza remembers emotions trigger transformations
>Kills Paragus and blames Goku
>Broly see, Broly mad, Broly scream, Broly transform
I wish this was a dumbed down explanation but it goes exactly like this. The first movie handled it better. Animation was crisp but vomit inducing with the tumbling and strobe lights. Also the soundtrack sucked ass

6/10 movie at best
Mar 7, 2019 6:54 AM

May 2017
Holy Macaroni I think I've just had an eyegasm watching this movie. The animation is so damn amazing and the whole story/character building is pretty amazing. I also was afraid that the change of gokus backstory would somewhat ruin the original dragonball, but no, it was pretty fitting and I can't wait to see what's up next with the franchise. I think I'd really love to see more short styled anime seasons like Attack on Titan after this movie. It really showed how Dragonball should look, sound and feel today!
Mar 14, 2019 8:20 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, this is the best Broly movie for me, I wasn't expecting it!
But lool, I can understand Bulma's wish but wtf was wrong with Frieza, haha, that wish killed me!
And the fights were super!
Mar 23, 2019 10:36 AM
Mar 2010
This is everything i wanted out of the dragon ball franchise and then some. Highly entertaining.
Mar 27, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2013
I finally had the time to watch it and damn that was by far the best DB movie I've watched. Not in the slightest can the animation be compared with DB Super. There was such gigantic difference that I almost couldn't believe what I saw. You know the animation is perfect if you're just smiling especially during the fights.

I'm sure that's what a lot of DB fans waited for. The story was nice, to see 41 years back what exactly happened and also some familiar characters like Bardok, King Vegeta and King Cold got their screen time.
It also showed how Paragus and Broly survived on an empty planet over all these years. Brolys character for me was also better handled. Someone who doesn't know anything about the world and only got used for the purposes of his father.

I really laughed about the reasons why Bulma and Freezer wanted the Dragonballs. That was the typical Dragonball humor I love :D

And seeing Gogeta after such a long ass time again in action oh baby. No early fusion breakup because he used to much energy and the time was over, no, just pure action where he showed how strong he as a character really is.

With this I hope Dragonball Super comes back. Thanks Toei for this wonderful movie. I enjoyed it so much. :)

10/10

Mar 29, 2019 7:54 AM
Jun 2017
A simple plot with lots of holes, but man the animation was over the top. And love what they did with Broly.
Apr 6, 2019 7:07 PM

Jan 2011
positive opinion on this onefor the most part, i was enjoying the planet Vegeta an Broly backstory for the most part but didnt like that Bardock movie is officialy not canon anymore (thats my 2nd fav DB movie)... the comedy was hit or miss, not as good as previous DB movies imo an the action while spectacular was waaay to long an the power levels are really inconsistent in this one (i know this is usual for DBZ Super but this issue still bothers me)

7/10
Apr 10, 2019 10:23 AM
Dec 2017
I'm sorry can someone help me out? I'm so confused about Broly's timeline.
So in the other movies he fights Goku and dies, but in this one he's never met Goku?
What?
Su-chara-ka-chan
Apr 11, 2019 1:38 AM

Jul 2016
KakarotSSJ said:
I'm sorry can someone help me out? I'm so confused about Broly's timeline.
So in the other movies he fights Goku and dies, but in this one he's never met Goku?
What?

The first three Broly movies = Non canon and has nothing to do with Toriyama
This movie = Canon and it's written by Toriyama

silversaint said:
but didnt like that Bardock movie is officialy not canon anymore (thats my 2nd fav DB movie)...

The Bardock special was never be part of canon aside of maybe Bardock faces Frieza, not to mention the fact that special isn't even written by Toriyama is just proven more that it's not canon.
MahiaErebeaNegiApr 11, 2019 1:43 AM
Apr 15, 2019 12:32 PM

Sep 2007
Good movie i must say. The fights and transformations were really impressive all along. I prefer this Broly since he had a beginning of development and isn't just a fighting machine.

Gogeta steals the show as usual. Would have loved to see a Final Kamehameha at the end.

Freeza really should do his own business on the over side of the universe now and let alone Goku, Vegeta and the Earth but he probably will search for a partner in crime now.
Apr 16, 2019 10:19 AM

Oct 2015
Just letting everyone know: The movie came out in Blu-ray, so now everyone can enjoy it in full HD and with good sound-quality. If anyone watched it in worse quality, I think it's worth watching it in blu-ray.

I watched it in hd-ish quality, but with bad sounds a few months ago. The Blu-ray version is soo much better! The animation still seems a bit fast, but in higher quality it's so much better. Probably has better framerate, or something.
Finally I can appreciate the soundtrack. It has a very bizarre soundtrack, for sure.
"Ooo-leeee-oo", and name-shouting..? Weird, but it's good.
Apr 18, 2019 2:14 PM

Oct 2014
Went to watch OP characters inventing the most stupid reasons to fight against each other and got that.... But so much more. [Blu-Ray looks amazing]

When people criticize Dragon Ball for being too much of the same, I praise it for the very same reason. I lost count on how many histories out there tries to change so much it becomes unrecognizable, but Dragon Ball is just Dragon Ball and for its merits, the movie is really really good.

Animations were top, and I lol'd at the narrator screaming like we were watching a MMA fight.

As a person who watched DBZ in its time - with a lot of stills and tons of repeated keyframes - to see these characters fight in such a style is quite awesome. Dragon Ball will always be my guilty pleasure, and it's ok.
Apr 19, 2019 3:25 PM

Dec 2016
Really only came for the visuals and I was definitely satisfied
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 21, 2019 9:13 AM

Jun 2017
I rarely rate anything 9/10 but this one well deserved it. Easily the best movie in the franchise. And it really felt like a movie to be honest, unlike Battle of Gods or Resurrection of F which felt like filler lmao.
Apr 27, 2019 4:35 PM
May 2015
Over 9000/10. That was the greatest dragon ball movie straight up holy shit I just can't fucking wait for the series to continue.
Apr 28, 2019 7:59 PM
Apr 2016
Well, it was a pretty decent movie I would say. It had quite a few plot-holes, but oh well whatever. The animation was mostly great, but some parts seemed as if it's made like in those "dragon ball universe" games, basically didn't seem like it was "animation" in general. Well, overall the movie was rather entertaining honestly.
May 12, 2019 7:55 AM

Nov 2015
makes me happy to see Goku coming to terms with his real name lol
May 19, 2019 5:44 AM

Sep 2013
Wow, some of you ppl here are critical af
This is a DB movie, after all...

And it is, undoubtedly, the best DB movie we have - and the best thing to come of of the franchise since Majin Vegeta blew himself up 25 years ago.
This was really good... especially when you consider it's coming off a show like Super
8/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2019 9:38 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
The movie was great. I noticed Broly is the same age as Vegeta in this movie. It was Goku who was the same age in the other movies. Broly got lucky at the end though. He might've died if he took that last Gogeta's attack.

May 26, 2019 9:20 PM

Jan 2012
Broly adapts quickly huh? Who needs character development anyway, let's put it all on CGI effects! Guaranteed to print money
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
May 31, 2019 7:23 PM
May 2013
The battle scene is very epic. makes me amazed and goosebumps. and the emotional scene when gokus mother and his father when goku leave the planet vegeta touched me so well so emotional. still the best action anime in shonen world imo even better than my hero academia movie.

Conclusion to me
The story: 8/10
Audio, Sound effect, music : 10/10 so emotional and epic
Animation art, and style : 10/10
Enjoyment : 10/10

simpel story

not bored being watched repeatedly. overall defnitely 10/10

for those who don't understand. Broly's story is like a reboot. so we have to understand why the Akira forget so much, especially he is old guy so dont expect much.

Honestly in terms of audio, sound, music TOEI is very great at it.
Jun 1, 2019 8:18 PM

May 2010
The animation was over the top - can't complain

So much fanservice, with the fusion, the same attack used vs Janemba, etc.

The story developed much more about the sayans lifestyle, which was great

The development of Broly was however way to fast. From someone who only trained versus beasts and his father to someone who could overpower two seasoned veterans who battled the most powerful beings in the universes.

The power levels were a total mess. Why having so many transformations if they do not mean much? And secondly, why did not Vegeta use ultra blue and Goku ultra instinct?
Jun 6, 2019 9:25 PM

Dec 2014
quite good remke remake making broly a good guy and what not
Jun 17, 2019 1:05 AM

Dec 2015
The initial fight between Broly and Vegeta were definitely my favorite. It had some good fighting and martial arts instead of the usual punch barrages. Good movie.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 1, 2019 6:31 PM

Nov 2013
Inuki said:
Good movie i must say. The fights and transformations were really impressive all along. I prefer this Broly since he had a beginning of development and isn't just a fighting machine.

Gogeta steals the show as usual. Would have loved to see a Final Kamehameha at the end.

Freeza really should do his own business on the over side of the universe now and let alone Goku, Vegeta and the Earth but he probably will search for a partner in crime now.

I'm hoping that it will be Cell.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jul 5, 2019 5:29 AM
Dec 2013
Well, that was awesome. Should've watched this 3 months ago when the Blu-ray rips were uploaded.

So this is canon then? A retelling of the DBZ movie where Broly debuted, which wasn't canon (the rest of the movies before Movie 14 also being non-canon). However, this movie is canon, making Broly now a canon character in the Dragon Ball universe. And this basically takes place directly after the final arc of Dragon Ball Super.

Not only that, but Gogeta, which was also a non-canon thing that debuted in the DBZ Movie "Fusion Reborn", is now canon too?

Interesting that Broly, who was once a non-canon Dragon Ball character, is now a canon character, along with the Gogeta fusion now being canon too.

This was easily one of the best Dragon Ball movies. Giving it a 10/10 for now.
wildhoodJul 5, 2019 5:46 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:46 AM
Mar 2019
When I supposed to see the movie??? Have I to finish the anime???
Jul 15, 2019 2:25 PM

Aug 2018
The sound track is very weird, at some point i though the mortal kombat theme was going to start... KAKAROT. BROLY. MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!
The movie has a bunch of minor flaws like; at some point during their fight Gogeta and Broly punched a hole into reality itself and no one was phased, small things like that, but i didn't go into a dragon ball movie expecting to find the meaning of life in its plot. I wanted to see two dudes defying physics while they punch the s***t out of each other and that it delivers very well!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 15, 2019 2:28 PM

Aug 2018
akaviana said:

If you don't want the anime spoiled for you, then YES! This movie comes after the anime's ending, and some important events of the anime were mentioned in the movie. Also it would be a bit confusing.
guizo-Jul 15, 2019 2:38 PM
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 17, 2019 4:07 AM
Mar 2019
guizo- said:
akaviana said:

If you don't want the anime spoiled for you, then YES! This movie comes after the anime's ending, and some important events of the anime were mentioned in the movie. Also it would be a bit confusing.

thank you bro :)))
Jul 28, 2019 8:13 PM
Jan 2017
I really liked this movie, definitely the best Broly movie of the 4. although overall i dont know if its the best dragon ball movie though still I give it a 9.5/10
Jul 31, 2019 8:54 PM

May 2008
It's okay. Once you get past the spectacle there's not much to it. First, the pros:

- I liked the Saiyan backstory except the Minus bullshit. It's as terrible as I remember, but Gine crying over Kakarot really made me think how much she cared about him yet how much Goku doesn't about her. That's heartbreaking, almost.

- Broly's backstory is better, though that's not saying much.

- I like Cheelai and Lemo for the most part. I thought they were going to be a bunch of stooges for Broly, but they actually had a patient!Bulma and Kuririn vibe to them.

- Gogeta being canon is always a-okay.

- Piccolo being Piccolo.

- Whis playing with Broly was a treat that I wish we got more of. Whis is still best waifu in DBS.

- The animation in the 1st half was good; the style wasn't as bad I was expecting.

- I did like the parallel between Bulma and Freeza because they are kinda similar, lol. I've already accepted Freeza as a joke character (because he kinda is though for the sake of the universe he does need to die again) so him being comic relief didn't bother me. Heck, I've already accepted if he wasn't a prodigy under cold-blooded killer daddy Cooler, he would totally be a good actor.

- It may just be a callback to M8, but I liked Goku giving them his Saiyan name. Not only does he do that, he even says "hey there's more of us, let's get along!" showing he's finally accepted his heritage and not just see them as ~evil~ and ~deserve to die~ like he did for most of Z. It's a subtle bit of character development that I really like and interestingly enough quite opposite of Vegeta, who becomes more human over time (sadly) while Goku becomes more Saiyan.

Cons:

-Minus and Bardock. Even his armbands are the wrong color; give us something, ffs! As glad as I am to have see Gine, Minus was, and still is, shit. Did they really need to make IT canon? If they didn't want to "insult" Toriyama by making Episode of Bardock canon, why not just rewrite Minus and Bardock into one excellent backstory? They practically did it half-assed with the Bardock segment at the end.

- Broly's character isn't that great. He goes from crybaby in M8 to a not-as-blunt Goku clone in this movie. Hardly an "improvement."

- Paragus. They made him act like a good father in the beginning with him just wanting to save his son... then do a 360 later. I guess living on Vampa made him bitter and revenge-hungry? It was kinda his fault by being hasty, though, lol... But it was a bit rushed.

- Everything involving Broly was rushed; was this what was cut out of the original script? Why can't animation studios just make the WHOLE script instead of cutting them? Fans can always tell when something is rushed/incomplete. Did they really think a DB movie wouldn't make their budget 10x over if they poured money into the full script? smh Greedy, cheap asses.

- I'm probably the only one who hates it, but I HATE how they always use Bulma as a way to make Vegeta do things he doesn't want to do. It's old, overdone, and very annoying especially when I don't give a rat's ass about the ship. And it shows they really don't know how to write Vegeta any other way than his typical "tsuntsun for Kakarot, deredere for Bulma" tsundere attitude. They've been doing this since Buu arc! Write Vegeta so he can independent of freaking wife - let him learn from his tsundere choices so he can make BETTER ones (and maybe listen to Goku) for once without hanging Bulma(-tachi)'s fate over his head. This takes place after TOP and they're still doing Vegeta like this; it's repetitive.

- Super's BS power leveling returns! Remember everyone is a prodigy and have unnatural growth! And it's so unnecessary too.

- The OST during the Broly fights. Am I watching a fight with martial arts and colorful beams mixed in or freaking wrestling? I don't care what Mexico wanted; give them their own OST, the cheering and shouting of names was horrible and ruined most of the fights. ....Well, would have except....

- THE CGI. There's a obscene amount that I also literally thought "Am I watching an anime or a VIDEO GAME?" especially when the CGI looked like something out of FighterZ. It's fine for the game but I don't want it in my anime - keep that shit separate. The best part is that you can tell the budget got tight during the 2nd half for the art & animation just tanks once they have to go SSJB and it never really recovers. Gogeta's appearence was done well, but once he returns it goes back to looking a bit like a mess. Add in all the lights, the POV closeup, and CGI, the fights go from "woah awesome!" to "...what the hell am I looking at?" It was better when it was 2D, though, I ain't gonna lie.

- Cheelai acting like Goku was the bad guy... why? It doesn't make any sense; does she think no one should protect themselves from a rampaging Broly? Ridiculous. Heck, her whole Mom attitude towards Broly comes out of nowhere - at least give her younger siblings so it'd make sense.

Overall, I'd watch a movie about the Saiyans. That backstory really wanted me to have them get revived back. King Vegeta waaaaaas a douche though, so maybe not him. xD
SakariiJul 31, 2019 9:11 PM
Aug 4, 2019 1:58 PM

Nov 2018
Seemed kind of weird only Bardock tried to fight off Frieza's attack. At least have a few others join in.

Sep 24, 2019 9:14 AM
Dec 2017
It was a bad movie,full of CGI and bad animation worthy of Super. But the fans are gonna praise a shit movie. Because nostalgia and" muh childhood". What a bad movie full of plotholes and fights so inconsequential. But the fans are satisfied because they like to watch shit splattered all over wall. What a disgrace to the sakuga animation and apologists of bad storytelling. Overreacted and overhyped, overrated piece of garbage. Better go watch the original series and the ending in GT. I don't recommend this movie.
Sep 28, 2019 1:14 AM

May 2014
Many pros and cons with this movie. To the pros first. By introducing a girl, Cheelai, to the story they somehow changed Broly's personality from being a wild mindless killing machine to be a good kindhearted person.

I am also glad they took many of the things which didn't have much attention, like Gogeta, fusion technique and Broly's transformation. Hopefully this is canon because this story is much better than getting rid of Broly like he didn't matter. There aren't many Saiyans left, so this is a nice add.

The cons would be that the way they portrait the visual effects. It was a disaster in my opinion. Too hard to follow when the environment change drastically every 30 sec. I wished they could stay with the good old dragon ball art, but it's really sad that they do this to a great series like DB. This was more like CGI movie, than anime art which is sad. The previous movie, the raise of Freiza + the movie before that had so much better effects. The CGI effects became too much for me. It wasn't enjoyable to watch either.

Another downside with this movie the different sound when performing the techniques. I mean come on Toei, this isn't Mortal Combat. Stop trying making this look like a western CGI movie. The soundtracks was horrible too. This is Japanese art, so Japanese OSTs or epic OSTs would fit this much more than wannabe English soundtracks. -.-

There two confusing points. Firstly how the hell did Broly knew Kakarrot's name when it was never mentioned (at least this had a better story than the previous movie of Broly). Secondly why did Broly and Goku go to a space dimension when nothing implied that they were send there during their fight? First they went in there and it didn't take more than 1 min before they broke out. That confused me.

Beside the art/animation (expect the fights) and the plot, it was hard to enjoy anymore part of it. It also had a nice character developement for Broly which I find awesome and hopefully it's canon too.

Great animation + plot and a great character developement for Broly, I hereby give this movie 5/9 or 3/5. Sorry hard to give it any better.

With that being said, this was my highlight of the movie. ;)

Sep 28, 2019 1:38 AM

May 2014
Sakarii said:
It's okay. Once you get past the spectacle there's not much to it. First, the pros:

- I liked the Saiyan backstory except the Minus bullshit. It's as terrible as I remember, but Gine crying over Kakarot really made me think how much she cared about him yet how much Goku doesn't about her. That's heartbreaking, almost.

- Broly's backstory is better, though that's not saying much.

- I like Cheelai and Lemo for the most part. I thought they were going to be a bunch of stooges for Broly, but they actually had a patient!Bulma and Kuririn vibe to them.

- Gogeta being canon is always a-okay.

- Piccolo being Piccolo.

- Whis playing with Broly was a treat that I wish we got more of. Whis is still best waifu in DBS.

- The animation in the 1st half was good; the style wasn't as bad I was expecting.

- I did like the parallel between Bulma and Freeza because they are kinda similar, lol. I've already accepted Freeza as a joke character (because he kinda is though for the sake of the universe he does need to die again) so him being comic relief didn't bother me. Heck, I've already accepted if he wasn't a prodigy under cold-blooded killer daddy Cooler, he would totally be a good actor.

- It may just be a callback to M8, but I liked Goku giving them his Saiyan name. Not only does he do that, he even says "hey there's more of us, let's get along!" showing he's finally accepted his heritage and not just see them as ~evil~ and ~deserve to die~ like he did for most of Z. It's a subtle bit of character development that I really like and interestingly enough quite opposite of Vegeta, who becomes more human over time (sadly) while Goku becomes more Saiyan.

Cons:

-Minus and Bardock. Even his armbands are the wrong color; give us something, ffs! As glad as I am to have see Gine, Minus was, and still is, shit. Did they really need to make IT canon? If they didn't want to "insult" Toriyama by making Episode of Bardock canon, why not just rewrite Minus and Bardock into one excellent backstory? They practically did it half-assed with the Bardock segment at the end.

- Broly's character isn't that great. He goes from crybaby in M8 to a not-as-blunt Goku clone in this movie. Hardly an "improvement."

- Paragus. They made him act like a good father in the beginning with him just wanting to save his son... then do a 360 later. I guess living on Vampa made him bitter and revenge-hungry? It was kinda his fault by being hasty, though, lol... But it was a bit rushed.

- Everything involving Broly was rushed; was this what was cut out of the original script? Why can't animation studios just make the WHOLE script instead of cutting them? Fans can always tell when something is rushed/incomplete. Did they really think a DB movie wouldn't make their budget 10x over if they poured money into the full script? smh Greedy, cheap asses.

- I'm probably the only one who hates it, but I HATE how they always use Bulma as a way to make Vegeta do things he doesn't want to do. It's old, overdone, and very annoying especially when I don't give a rat's ass about the ship. And it shows they really don't know how to write Vegeta any other way than his typical "tsuntsun for Kakarot, deredere for Bulma" tsundere attitude. They've been doing this since Buu arc! Write Vegeta so he can independent of freaking wife - let him learn from his tsundere choices so he can make BETTER ones (and maybe listen to Goku) for once without hanging Bulma(-tachi)'s fate over his head. This takes place after TOP and they're still doing Vegeta like this; it's repetitive.

- Super's BS power leveling returns! Remember everyone is a prodigy and have unnatural growth! And it's so unnecessary too.

- The OST during the Broly fights. Am I watching a fight with martial arts and colorful beams mixed in or freaking wrestling? I don't care what Mexico wanted; give them their own OST, the cheering and shouting of names was horrible and ruined most of the fights. ....Well, would have except....

- THE CGI. There's a obscene amount that I also literally thought "Am I watching an anime or a VIDEO GAME?" especially when the CGI looked like something out of FighterZ. It's fine for the game but I don't want it in my anime - keep that shit separate. The best part is that you can tell the budget got tight during the 2nd half for the art & animation just tanks once they have to go SSJB and it never really recovers. Gogeta's appearence was done well, but once he returns it goes back to looking a bit like a mess. Add in all the lights, the POV closeup, and CGI, the fights go from "woah awesome!" to "...what the hell am I looking at?" It was better when it was 2D, though, I ain't gonna lie.

- Cheelai acting like Goku was the bad guy... why? It doesn't make any sense; does she think no one should protect themselves from a rampaging Broly? Ridiculous. Heck, her whole Mom attitude towards Broly comes out of nowhere - at least give her younger siblings so it'd make sense.

Overall, I'd watch a movie about the Saiyans. That backstory really wanted me to have them get revived back. King Vegeta waaaaaas a douche though, so maybe not him. xD

I couldn't agree more with you. The CGI effects were horrible. ^^
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one that really dislikes Minus approach to Goku and Bardock?

KatsuragiKyon - Oct 15, 2018

2 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 11:06 AM

» Planet Sadala

removed-user - Nov 4, 2018

1 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:59 AM

» Opinion on Cheelai?

xfinityretaile1 - Jan 21, 2019

24 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:13 AM

Poll: » Who is the weakest among Beerus, Broly and Jiren?

darthbarth - Nov 7, 2022

13 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:06 AM

Poll: » Detailing

Dixter34 - Apr 23, 2023

14 by JVskunkape »»
Oct 11, 2023 10:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.