Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly Episode 1 Discussion


#1
Dec 14, 2018 12:15 PM

Online
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1407
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally got around watching it!
This movie felt like it wanted to do more but couldnt because of the time limitations of an anime movie has to have, nonetheless the end product was still amazing and beats its previous films by a landslide.

The movie starts off with the flashback 41years ago on Planet Vegeta, we see King Vegeta being sly and was planning to assassinate Freeza and his dad but Freeza soon see's through that VIA his newly developed scouters they were distributing, it then jumps to King Vegeta being happy about the latent potential of his kid, Vegeta, but soon later pissed that Broli was in a special pod that was supposed to be for elites, after finding out Broli far surpasses Vegeta's potential he then casts him off to a far away planet, Paragus soon goes on to chase his son's whereabouts (it also shows how brutal this bastard is cause he just killed the saiyan he brought along to find his son cause they couldnt get off the planet anymore and needed to save food and water for him and his son)

Later we finally get to see Bardock who had doubts on why every saiyan was called back to planet Vegeta, he senses that Freeza's got something planned, he was kidding midway tho but then he finds out Freeza knew about the legend of the Super Saiyan, which cleared him from doubts and was sure Freeza's planning on wipping them out, he soon goes to Gine and asks where Raditz is, which Gine said was partnered up with Prince Vegeta on a far away planet, then Kakarrot who Gine said they can probbaly take him out of the pod later and that it took a while cause Kakarot was growing so slow (meaning yeah, Kakarot was supposed to be THAT weak even for a soldier class) Bardock then tells Gine to get ready later that night that they will steal a pod and send Kakarot to a far away planet where low power level people's are, which is earth, Gine doubts Bardock's intentions but Bardock later reasures her that if his doubts about what Freeza is planning wrong, then he himself will get Kakarrot back from Earth (Gine then tells Bardock wouldnt it be safer if all of them went out, but Bardock says with Freeza's new scouter they'll be noticed if they went with him)
We later finally get the focus to Freeza as he launches his wave, Gine see's the flashing light before her and then we get a focus on all the other saiyans, and lastly Bardock who shot a massive blast in an attempt of trying to fight back but alas his powers were not even a match, Bardock along with the planet then gets destroyed.

Fast forward into the present and we see Goku and Vegeta having a spar match, Kid Trunks then tells Bulma that 6 of the balls along with the radar got stolen, cam footage shows they were wearing saiyan/freeza armor and then they noticed it was Freeza. Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Bulma then goes on to look for the last ball, Goku then asked Bulma why she was collecting the balls in the first place, Bulma said in an unwillingly tone that she wants to get younger by 5yrs, Whis says why only 5 when she can go all the way since there wouldnt be much of a difference if its only 5 yrs which Bulma says "Thats exactly why I only want it to be 5yrs, so that they wont notice I was wishing myself to get younger" we then get to Freeza and then he reveals what his wish is, to my surprise it wasnt anything drastic at all but for him it probably is, at first Vegeta thought Freeza wanted to wish for immortality, but nope, Freeza actually just wants to get *taller* yep, taller.... by 5ft iirc, cause some of his army makes fun of him for being a shorty.

Then we get to Chirai and Lem the 2 new characters from Freeza's army into which Chirai mentions has Lem ever seen Freeza up close? and says "I hear his short aint he!?" they then landed on the planet where Broli was cast off, they took him back to Freeza cause the scouters couldnt get a read on his powerlevel which would please Freeza greatly, soon later Chirai and Broli are actually getting in good terms, Broli is more of like Goku actually, but an emo version of him, he's naive and simple but got a rough upbringing cause of Paragus forcing him to train for revenge, Chirai then steals the choke controler from Paragus cause she saw how much abusive he is towards his son, even with them talking bad about Paragus, Broli still defends his father and tells them to please not speak ill of him like that (yeap, Broli is pretty adorable in this film, he's likable.)

We then finally get to main tasty part, as Vegeta and Goku notices Freeza's ship coming down on them, they soon notice he isnt alone, that there's another huge power along with him.
Paragus then commands Broli to attack Vegeta into which he does, Vegeta tags Broli like nothing and toys around with him, that soon changed tho when Broli got the hang of fighting against a human opponent since he's been fighting beasts this whole time he wasnt used to it yet, as he got the better of Vegeta, the small nibba went SSJ and bully Broli more, but then Broli in base is still getting the better of him, so he went SSJG to whip him some more and launched a massive killer blast into which Goku actually screamed "VEGETA STOP IT!" but meh that didnt kill Broli, it actually made him lose control and yep, not actually transform but consume the power of the great ape in human form (think of it as how SSJ4 is done, but this time only the eyes change, no fur and tails necesarry) Broli then whips Vegeta's ass and then some, but Goku then calls Broli out and says "Its time I get a shot at yah" Goku starts off fighting at base and gradually he was transforming into his SSJ and then SSJG as well, he paralyzes Broli by this God technique (which woulda been pretty handy if he used it in ToP) he tells Broli "Calm down, I can feel that you aint a bad guy, you dont have to listen to what those guys tell you, lets just have fun" while Broli looked like he was calming down, the training that Paragus gave him probably scared the poor man and still went berserk on Goku, and yep, Goku got Loki'd again 2x actually, as he was down on the ground with a blank expression, Piccolo talks telepathically with Goku and tells him are they good? Goku tells him that incase push comes to worst that they should get out of Earth ASAP, he then got serious and went SSJB to face off against Broli, while he was winning, Freeza notices this and asks Paragus "is this all that he has?" Paragus said yes and then Freeza remembered how Goku transformed into a SSJ for the first time, by killing a loved one, he then kills Paragus and then calls Broli out acting like it wasnt him he was going hysterical saying "Broli please look... your dad... he... ded... nuuuuu" which triggers Broli and goes SSJ, Goku and Broli had a little fight but it was mostly in favor of Broli despite Goku still landing some hits, Vegeta decides to join in and thats how the tag team started,while they were getting overwhelmed (and this was the funny part) Goku and Vegeta lured Broli into Freeza's spot into which surprised Freeza and told Broli "wait..no... you're part of my army, we friends ayt!?" but no oh Broli aint having any of that shit and went ham on him, this bit was actually funny cause Freeza was getting the life fcked out of him with funny expressions on his side. Goku then teleports him and Vegeta near Piccolo's spot and suggests they fuse, into which Vegeta declines because he doesnt want to do those stupid ass movements, after Goku and Piccolo showed Vegeta the steps he then said "kill me... kill me NOW!" they then started to fuse but fail 2x actually, and pulled a Veku (for people who dont know Veku, he's the fatty and skinny old man ver of Gogeta) 3rd times the charm and they finally got it, as Broli was going at it against Whis, Gogeta stops him and whips his ass all over planet earth! it was a one sided beatdown, Broli couldnt even touch him.
As Gogeta was about to deliver the final blow via kamehameha his candy ass, Chirai called for shenron and made a wish to send Broli back to the planet they took him from.
Chirai and Lem then flies away but Freeza tries to strike them down, Gogeta stops Freeza tho and as he powers down he says "I'll be back"
Chirai and Lem decides to stay with Broli on his planet and live there with him, as Broli offers them what he was feeding on from his better years, Goku teleports on his planet and.. well.. befriends him in a way, he brought him capsules that has house, food, etc and mentions he'll be paying him a visit here and there to have a spar with him, Chirai and Lem interrogates Goku and asks him "why go this far? whats your motive?" into which Goku simply replies "I simply dont want someone as strong as him bitting the dust for some random reason" Chirai then thanks Goku and asks him what his name was, Goku replies "My name is Goku... and also, Kakarott"
cue ending (Blizzard)

Overall the movie was fantastic! far surpassing its predecessors, the animation was nothing like how Dragon Ball Super was, its a complete change in direction and style, which is very welcome tbh!
for once I actually want a re-tell of this cause it really felt like they wanted to do more with it.
Great direction, fantastic animation, Toriyama humor kicked in so well and the start made me remember how much I hated Freeza.
Will definitely rewatch this next week!
And hopefully DBS comes back with this kind of art and direction.
Modified by -Stray, Dec 17, 2018 6:44 PM
 
#2
Dec 14, 2018 3:45 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 172
I felt like the Ssj Blue tag team fight was very very short from what the leaked scenes on youtube show.
 
#3
Dec 14, 2018 10:51 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Though Spoiled by Many Spoiling Promos & Trailers.....Hoped for Good Popcorn Entertainer but Toiyama Sensei given Fan Festive Feast...:)

Obviously Dragon Ball Super Broly was 10x better than many DB feature films.
Reason:
1) Many Dragon Ball Movies are usually as many claim "LMAT" Last Moment Asspull Technique but this one had feeling of watching Superhero Origin Story
2) Slick & fluid animation & Fight Sequence & Action Choreography was Fantastic & better than ToP unlike usual ATATATATATA
3) Broly had better backstory than Broly:LSS

Fully Satisfied ....My Rating is similar to ImDb - 10/10
 
#4
Dec 15, 2018 5:10 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 55
The average ratings right now is clearly above 9+. And it is showing 7+ based on few people's ratings. Why myanimelist is not updating the ratings? What the hell? Is this planned or something? Or the admins have personal bias against DB? UPDATE THE DAMN RATINGS!
 
#5
Dec 15, 2018 7:30 AM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
draco11 said:
The average ratings right now is clearly above 9+. And it is showing 7+ based on few people's ratings. Why myanimelist is not updating the ratings? What the hell? Is this planned or something? Or the admins have personal bias against DB? UPDATE THE DAMN RATINGS!


MAL Admins usually biased towards Dragon Ball Franchise & more interested in giving high ratings for Gintama & My Hero Academia.
 
#6
Dec 15, 2018 7:31 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 22
draco11 said:
The average ratings right now is clearly above 9+. And it is showing 7+ based on few people's ratings. Why myanimelist is not updating the ratings? What the hell? Is this planned or something? Or the admins have personal bias against DB? UPDATE THE DAMN RATINGS!

Do you know a way to watch the full movie leaked ? If yes can you help me watch it?
 
#7
Dec 15, 2018 7:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2015
Posts: 160
Kaneki2401 said:
draco11 said:
The average ratings right now is clearly above 9+. And it is showing 7+ based on few people's ratings. Why myanimelist is not updating the ratings? What the hell? Is this planned or something? Or the admins have personal bias against DB? UPDATE THE DAMN RATINGS!


MAL Admins usually biased towards Dragon Ball Franchise & more interested in giving high ratings for Gintama & My Hero Academia.


The ratings are automatically updated based on the score that MyAnimeList users give the movie so current ratings are correct. It's just that Dragon Ball usually tends to have bad reputation in the modern anime industry due to the stale storywriting, mediocre artstyle and the inconsistent animation so scores for its new content is usually mixed. But the movie was still good in all those aspects so it should get a higher score eventually.
Modified by Elfezen, Dec 15, 2018 8:00 AM
 
#8
Dec 15, 2018 8:39 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 55
Elfezen said:
Kaneki2401 said:


MAL Admins usually biased towards Dragon Ball Franchise & more interested in giving high ratings for Gintama & My Hero Academia.


The ratings are automatically updated based on the score that MyAnimeList users give the movie so current ratings are correct. It's just that Dragon Ball usually tends to have bad reputation in the modern anime industry due to the stale storywriting, mediocre artstyle and the inconsistent animation so scores for its new content is usually mixed. But the movie was still good in all those aspects so it should get a higher score eventually.


You mean those who became supporters?
 
#9
Dec 17, 2018 1:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 44350
camera-rip version is out there now for poor people like me and i just watched it

im glad Broly survives but Freeza is planning to manipulate him in the future to fight Goku and Vegeta

meanwhile Goku finally accepts that he is Kakarot too in the end there thats nice

the action in this movie is fucking great, cannot wait to watch it in better quality again
 
Dec 18, 2018 7:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 884
-Stray said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally got around watching it!
This movie felt like it wanted to do more but couldnt because of the time limitations of an anime movie has to have, nonetheless the end product was still amazing and beats its previous films by a landslide.

The movie starts off with the flashback 41years ago on Planet Vegeta, we see King Vegeta being sly and was planning to assassinate Freeza and his dad but Freeza soon see's through that VIA his newly developed scouters they were distributing, it then jumps to King Vegeta being happy about the latent potential of his kid, Vegeta, but soon later pissed that Broli was in a special pod that was supposed to be for elites, after finding out Broli far surpasses Vegeta's potential he then casts him off to a far away planet, Paragus soon goes on to chase his son's whereabouts (it also shows how brutal this bastard is cause he just killed the saiyan he brought along to find his son cause they couldnt get off the planet anymore and needed to save food and water for him and his son)

Later we finally get to see Bardock who had doubts on why every saiyan was called back to planet Vegeta, he senses that Freeza's got something planned, he was kidding midway tho but then he finds out Freeza knew about the legend of the Super Saiyan, which cleared him from doubts and was sure Freeza's planning on wipping them out, he soon goes to Gine and asks where Raditz is, which Gine said was partnered up with Prince Vegeta on a far away planet, then Kakarrot who Gine said they can probbaly take him out of the pod later and that it took a while cause Kakarot was growing so slow (meaning yeah, Kakarot was supposed to be THAT weak even for a soldier class) Bardock then tells Gine to get ready later that night that they will steal a pod and send Kakarot to a far away planet where low power level people's are, which is earth, Gine doubts Bardock's intentions but Bardock later reasures her that if his doubts about what Freeza is planning wrong, then he himself will get Kakarrot back from Earth (Gine then tells Bardock wouldnt it be safer if all of them went out, but Bardock says with Freeza's new scouter they'll be noticed if they went with him)
We later finally get the focus to Freeza as he launches his wave, Gine see's the flashing light before her and then we get a focus on all the other saiyans, and lastly Bardock who shot a massive blast in an attempt of trying to fight back but alas his powers were not even a match, Bardock along with the planet then gets destroyed.

Fast forward into the present and we see Goku and Vegeta having a spar match, Kid Trunks then tells Bulma that 6 of the balls along with the radar got stolen, cam footage shows they were wearing saiyan/freeza armor and then they noticed it was Freeza. Goku, Vegeta, Whis and Bulma then goes on to look for the last ball, Goku then asked Bulma why she was collecting the balls in the first place, Bulma said in an unwillingly tone that she wants to get younger by 5yrs, Whis says why only 5 when she can go all the way since there wouldnt be much of a difference if its only 5 yrs which Bulma says "Thats exactly why I only want it to be 5yrs, so that they wont notice I was wishing myself to get younger" we then get to Freeza and then he reveals what his wish is, to my surprise it wasnt anything drastic at all but for him it probably is, at first Vegeta thought Freeza wanted to wish for immortality, but nope, Freeza actually just wants to get *taller* yep, taller.... by 5ft iirc, cause some of his army makes fun of him for being a shorty.

Then we get to Chirai and Lem the 2 new characters from Freeza's army into which Chirai mentions has Lem ever seen Freeza up close? and says "I hear his short aint he!?" they then landed on the planet where Broli was cast off, they took him back to Freeza cause the scouters couldnt get a read on his powerlevel which would please Freeza greatly, soon later Chirai and Broli are actually getting in good terms, Broli is more of like Goku actually, but an emo version of him, he's naive and simple but got a rough upbringing cause of Paragus forcing him to train for revenge, Chirai then steals the choke controler from Paragus cause she saw how much abusive he is towards his son, even with them talking bad about Paragus, Broli still defends his father and tells them to please not speak ill of him like that (yeap, Broli is pretty adorable in this film, he's likable.)

We then finally get to main tasty part, as Vegeta and Goku notices Freeza's ship coming down on them, they soon notice he isnt alone, that there's another huge power along with him.
Paragus then commands Broli to attack Vegeta into which he does, Vegeta tags Broli like nothing and toys around with him, that soon changed tho when Broli got the hang of fighting against a human opponent since he's been fighting beasts this whole time he wasnt used to it yet, as he got the better of Vegeta, the small nibba went SSJ and bully Broli more, but then Broli in base is still getting the better of him, so he went SSJG to whip him some more and launched a massive killer blast into which Goku actually screamed "VEGETA STOP IT!" but meh that didnt kill Broli, it actually made him lose control and yep, not actually transform but consume the power of the great ape in human form (think of it as how SSJ4 is done, but this time only the eyes change, no fur and tails necesarry) Broli then whips Vegeta's ass and then some, but Goku then calls Broli out and says "Its time I get a shot at yah" Goku starts off fighting at base and gradually he was transforming into his SSJ and then SSJG as well, he paralyzes Broli by this God technique (which woulda been pretty handy if he used it in ToP) he tells Broli "Calm down, I can feel that you aint a bad guy, you dont have to listen to what those guys tell you, lets just have fun" while Broli looked like he was calming down, the training that Paragus gave him probably scared the poor man and still went berserk on Goku, and yep, Goku got Loki'd again 2x actually, as he was down on the ground with a blank expression, Piccolo talks telepathically with Goku and tells him are they good? Goku tells him that incase push comes to worst that they should get out of Earth ASAP, he then got serious and went SSJB to face off against Broli, while he was winning, Freeza notices this and asks Paragus "is this all that he has?" Paragus said yes and then Freeza remembered how Goku transformed into a SSJ for the first time, by killing a loved one, he then kills Paragus and then calls Broli out acting like it wasnt him he was going hysterical saying "Broli please look... your dad... he... ded... nuuuuu" which triggers Broli and goes SSJ, Goku and Broli had a little fight but it was mostly in favor of Broli despite Goku still landing some hits, Vegeta decides to join in and thats how the tag team started,while they were getting overwhelmed (and this was the funny part) Goku and Vegeta lured Broli into Freeza's spot into which surprised Freeza and told Broli "wait..no... you're part of my army, we friends ayt!?" but no oh Broli aint having any of that shit and went ham on him, this bit was actually funny cause Freeza was getting the life fcked out of him with funny expressions on his side. Goku then teleports him and Vegeta near Piccolo's spot and suggests they fuse, into which Vegeta declines because he doesnt want to do those stupid ass movements, after Goku and Piccolo showed Vegeta the steps he then said "kill me... kill me NOW!" they then started to fuse but fail 2x actually, and pulled a Veku (for people who dont know Veku, he's the fatty and skinny old man ver of Gogeta) 3rd times the charm and they finally got it, as Broli was going at it against Whis, Gogeta stops him and whips his ass all over planet earth! it was a one sided beatdown, Broli couldnt even touch him.
As Gogeta was about to deliver the final blow via kamehameha his candy ass, Chirai called for shenron and made a wish to send Broli back to the planet they took him from.
Chirai and Lem then flies away but Freeza tries to strike them down, Gogeta stops Freeza tho and as he powers down he says "I'll be back"
Chirai and Lem decides to stay with Broli on his planet and live there with him, as Broli offers them what he was feeding on from his better years, Goku teleports on his planet and.. well.. befriends him in a way, he brought him capsules that has house, food, etc and mentions he'll be paying him a visit here and there to have a spar with him, Chirai and Lem interrogates Goku and asks him "why go this far? whats your motive?" into which Goku simply replies "I simply dont want someone as strong as him bitting the dust for some random reason" Chirai then thanks Goku and asks him what his name was, Goku replies "My name is Goku... and also, Kakarott"
cue ending (Blizzard)

Overall the movie was fantastic! far surpassing its predecessors, the animation was nothing like how Dragon Ball Super was, its a complete change in direction and style, which is very welcome tbh!
for once I actually want a re-tell of this cause it really felt like they wanted to do more with it.
Great direction, fantastic animation, Toriyama humor kicked in so well and the start made me remember how much I hated Freeza.
Will definitely rewatch this next week!
And hopefully DBS comes back with this kind of art and direction.


Pretty good review, I agree completely. I hope we see a retelling on a new super anime with more details to expand the movie story since I do agree that it can be more if it has time for it.
 
Dec 19, 2018 10:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 13001
Easily the best Dragon Ball movie in terms of action. 7/10
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

 
Dec 20, 2018 6:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 8
6/10

Akira doesn't remember ShengLong grants 3 wishes STILL (I thought he would've after the RoF mistake).

Frieza doesn't understand how immortality works or Akira doesn't remember?

Frieza's wish was a stupid gag that doesn't fit, forced comedy, character assesination.

Pikkoro's involvement was underwhelming.

Gogeta's transformation to blue and Broly's to "full power" was treated as nothing.

Soul Punisher is nothing special now.

Goku was more Luffy than Goku.

No SBKK, no SSBE, this again shows how Akira is actually involved in the manga, and barely with the anime, though I thought those might show up because TOEI was gonna be taking care of the fights, but no, they actually followed the Akira way.

The animation was good (minus the cringy cg parts) and the fights were a clear improvement of the underwhelming action in DBS, but clearly nothing worthy of the over hyping it's receiving.

And I definitely DO NOT want a retelling of this, that's a waste of time and effort.

#1) They should not get a 2nd chance at every movie just because fans wanted more, that makes movies worthless.

#2) That makes the already stagnant series become even more stagnat.
Modified by SSBIsLame, Dec 20, 2018 3:43 PM
 
Dec 22, 2018 6:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 120
that ending was great, goku accepting that he is a sayian, first development he had as a character in since DB

also by leaving broly alive it might mean goku could eventually use him to get stronger (maybe really master migatte no gokui)

but something actually bothered me, and it was bardock at the begining, he's too kind, i always had this image of him being a ruthless dude
 
Dec 26, 2018 9:04 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 827
Feels like lots of places doesn't connect properly, maybe because of the 3 hour script cut to half things.

What with Gine first and last appearance scene at kitchen... :P

I didn't notice Broly turn Lssj near the end of the fight because Gogeta is damn too OP.
.
 
Jan 1, 8:54 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 116
deg said:
camera-rip version is out there now for poor people like me and i just watched it

im glad Broly survives but Freeza is planning to manipulate him in the future to fight Goku and Vegeta

meanwhile Goku finally accepts that he is Kakarot too in the end there thats nice

the action in this movie is fucking great, cannot wait to watch it in better quality again

I was happy to see anymore db so I at least was entertained but this pisses me the hell off bc it literally is almost a copy of original 2 make more money.
The only thing I really enjoyed the most was seeing Goku's mom, she needs an episode of her own. I also liked the wishmaker just bc she was a sweetheart.
 
Jan 2, 8:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 764
Finally watched the entire movie (Not the LQ camrip but in the cinema)....... well I have a mixed feeling about this movie...... I'm prefer Shintani's art style over Yamamuro's modern art style anytime, although the shading in some scenes was weird. The CGI is also awful and not as good as the 2D animation does.

Is this Dragon Ball or wrestling? What's up with that announcer screaming character's name during the fights?

I still think Minus is stupid but at least it's more enjoyable here than the manga does. Frieza's wish is stupid and it's a character assassination. Broly's character is clearly far better here than the original one, but I don't like how Broly literally become M10 Broly just right after he transformed into SSJ. What's make it even worse is Broly can only scream and never talk even once in both SSJ and Full Power forms, at least M10 Broly keep saying "KAKAROT!!!" and have a single dialog in that movie (Don't let me even mention how Broly become talkative in LSSJ form in M8).

I think the best thing about this movie aside the fight and animation is Tomokazu Sugita and Mizuki Nana being voiced a DB character (Lemo and Cheelai) here lol, and also Veku and Skinny Gogeta's appearance lol.

I can't believe Sumitomo actually try to make me hate his music even more than I did with Super, those rock musics (Especially the one with lyrics) was god awful and sound so out-of-place here, even some of Yamamoto's Kai (And Plagiarized) musics are far batter than those. Although there is still have some nice music, like the one used during Frieza destroy Planet Vegeta.



Overall I will give this movie a 7/10.
 
Jan 3, 4:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 26
I can't believe Sumitomo actually try to make me hate his music even more than I did with Super, those rock musics (Especially the one with lyrics) was god awful and sound so out-of-place here.





It was nagamine's idea and it was amazing.
 
Jan 3, 5:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 764
007DragonGod said:
It was nagamine's idea and it was amazing.

Good for you, then.
Modified by MahiaErebeaNegi, Jan 3, 5:16 AM
 
Jan 5, 5:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 486
Just watched in the theater and it was very good, the action was kinda distracting but brolly's story really shined here, also chillai is a great characther, despite the obvious fanservice. only wished the movie was longer, because that ending was anticlimatic. brolly just has to appear in the anime now
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
 
Jan 5, 5:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 486
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Finally watched the entire movie (Not the LQ camrip but in the cinema)....... well I have a mixed feeling about this movie...... I'm prefer Shintani's art style over Yamamuro's modern art style anytime, although the shading in some scenes was weird. The CGI is also awful and not as good as the 2D animation does.

Is this Dragon Ball or wrestling? What's up with that announcer screaming character's name during the fights?

I still think Minus is stupid but at least it's more enjoyable here than the manga does. Frieza's wish is stupid and it's a character assassination. Broly's character is clearly far better here than the original one, but I don't like how Broly literally become M10 Broly just right after he transformed into SSJ. What's make it even worse is Broly can only scream and never talk even once in both SSJ and Full Power forms, at least M10 Broly keep saying "KAKAROT!!!" and have a single dialog in that movie (Don't let me even mention how Broly become talkative in LSSJ form in M8).

I think the best thing about this movie aside the fight and animation is Tomokazu Sugita and Mizuki Nana being voiced a DB character (Lemo and Cheelai) here lol, and also Veku and Skinny Gogeta's appearance lol.

I can't believe Sumitomo actually try to make me hate his music even more than I did with Super, those rock musics (Especially the one with lyrics) was god awful and sound so out-of-place here, even some of Yamamoto's Kai (And Plagiarized) musics are far batter than those. Although there is still have some nice music, like the one used during Frieza destroy Planet Vegeta.



Overall I will give this movie a 7/10.
yeah the music was a little out of place and very cheesy with all that name calling
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
 
Jan 8, 4:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 413
Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but does anyone know when we are getting a blu-ray release? So when can we watch it online in good quality?
I'd love to see the movie, but it's only aired in just a few countries, and I don't think I want to watch it in cam-version.

I tried googling it, but I couldn't find anything. Is it going to be like most other movies? Are we going to have to wait about half-a-year as usual?
 
Jan 9, 9:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 247
This movie story wise is a solid 3/10, fuck Minus, animation and storyboarding on the other hand amount to a easily 10/10, sometimes i wished i could rewind and watch it at .25 speed, Broly goes full retard after they reach Earth, i thought he didn't like fighting, why the fuck was he jacking off to Vegeta?

I actually thought it was funny that Frieza wanted to get taller and that was mirroring Bulma early on the film.
But i thought he would ask for immortality as well, but nope, Shenlong now grants only only one wish for some reason.

Go, Broly, go, Broly, go, that was strange af, plus i got out of the theater with my ears bleeding from so much screaming.

Toriyama's comedy chops are still great, Naoki Tate animating a tsundere Vegeta was hilarious, i'm kind of bummed that he animated so little in the movie.


BLaCkGuN69 said:
Just watched in the theater and it was very good, the action was kinda distracting but brolly's story really shined here, also chillai is a great characther, despite the obvious fanservice. only wished the movie was longer, because that ending was anticlimatic. brolly just has to appear in the anime now


She isn't a great character, ever since she meets Broly she keeps acting as if she's his mother, that was 'Super' annoying, Toriyama doesn't know how to write women, plus the ridiculous fan-service done with her characters ruins her even more, what she is, is crazy, stealing from a guy way more powerful than her, plus putting everyone at risk of being killed by Broly because she thought he wasn't treated nice, good on you girl and at the end she makes the same mistake, i hope Frieza kills her, no, even better i hope Broly kills her.


Slim_Lamie said:
Sorry for being slightly off-topic, but does anyone know when we are getting a blu-ray release? So when can we watch it online in good quality?
I'd love to see the movie, but it's only aired in just a few countries, and I don't think I want to watch it in cam-version.

I tried googling it, but I couldn't find anything. Is it going to be like most other movies? Are we going to have to wait about half-a-year as usual?


The movie is airing right now in a bunch of countries

AraragiKoyomi said:
that ending was great, goku accepting that he is a sayian, first development he had as a character in since DB

also by leaving broly alive it might mean goku could eventually use him to get stronger (maybe really master migatte no gokui)

but something actually bothered me, and it was bardock at the begining, he's too kind, i always had this image of him being a ruthless dude


That wasn't him accepting his Saiyan heritage, that was just a nod to the original Broly movie.
Modified by SteelingMax, Jan 9, 10:06 PM
 
Jan 10, 8:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 108
I watched it in the cinema.
Animation and artwork were perfect (yes, even with cgi). I didn't like the OST btw.
It's a 9/10. Probably one of the best movies in DB Franchise.
 
Jan 10, 8:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 206
Just watched it on a theater, very good animation and comedy, not the best OST but overall a pretty good movie. Some scenes were kinda overanimated, didnt understand what was happening, sometimes also too flashy. Despite that gonna give it a 8/10
 
Jan 13, 3:07 PM
𝙆𝙖𝙠 𝙆𝙖𝙣 🍊

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 14982
Overall the movie was very enjoyable. Watched it in Spanish and it was nice to hear the other voices of the characters.
Some of my favorite comedy scenes was when they leave Bra with Beerus so he can take care of her. Like seeing Beerus take care of a baby was pretty funny.
Broly and Cheelai scenes were pretty funny at times too. And then we have Vegeta blushing as he tries to do the fusion dance xD

The backstory before Planet Vegeta got destroyed was alright. I like how they still kept Bardock trying stop the supernova attack and made his attack feel more powerful visually rather than just sending a small kii blast and it getting absorbed.

The action overall was very good as expected. It was interesting to see Vegeta hold his own and even have the upper hand vs Broly for the early part of the fight. Tbh I thought it would have been a one sided fight where Broly destroys Goku and Vegeta right from the start.
Gogeta, amazing. They gave Gogeta a better chance to showcase his power than Vegito. I'm liking the blue hair on Gogeta, for some reason it really fits well with Gogeta.~

8/10

 
Jan 14, 7:33 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
How the hell did goku resist broly's punch at the beginning of the fight when he was in his normal state (not even sayan). Vegeta was fighting in God mode... Jesus
 
Jan 14, 3:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 216
Hmm, haven't seen DB: Super yet. Would it be alright to watch this in the cinema and have a go at the series some other time, or does it really tie in with story/characters from Super?
 
Jan 16, 12:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 459
Just got back from the theater

easily on a higher tier than all past dragon ball movies

Whole theater gave a standing ovation at the end
 
Jan 16, 1:27 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 16
ninkendo said:
Just got back from the theater

easily on a higher tier than all past dragon ball movies

Whole theater gave a standing ovation at the end


Same, just watched it

Best Dragon ball movie by far

A bit anti-climatic towards the end but great movie
 
Jan 16, 6:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 46
Great movie. Ost was a disappointment they could of be more creative.
 
Jan 16, 6:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 46
sSSJAVASSs said:
How the hell did goku resist broly's punch at the beginning of the fight when he was in his normal state (not even sayan). Vegeta was fighting in God mode... Jesus


Goku is alot stronger then vegeta at the moment. He absorbed some of the ultra instinct power each time he transformed.
 
Jan 16, 7:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 867
I felt the movie was pretty good, gave it an 8 on MAL. Fights were done well, nothing felt particularly overly lengthy. We got Vegeta and his forms, Goku and his forms, Broly's continuing powerups and eventual transformation, and then canon Gogeta and his transformations.

I enjoyed the flashbacks, particularly Bardock and Gine. But I definitely think that the old rendition of Bardock/the destruction of Planet Vegeta was better. The old rendition explained better why Frieza felt the Saiyan's needed to go, that they were growing in power exponentially.

Waifu talk, loved seeing Gine, I only saw her in the DBS card game before and thought she was cute. Seeing her animated was nice. Cheelai was also great. Great character design, personality, and the camera angles on her were A+.
 
Jan 16, 7:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 907
This movie really delivers where it counts for Dragon Ball fans, the action sequences are glorious and story beats are familiar. It's Dragon Ball in a bite size form.
 
Jan 16, 10:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1305
Saw it in cinemas earlier today, so note ahead of time I've seen almost nothing of Super and kept very light tabs on what was going on (I knew Frieza was alive again and about the concept of the tournament) and as I suspected, none of that actually mattered to the film outside of Frieza being alive.

Any Dragon Ball Super Broly was basically unbridled joy for most of it's runtime. I don't think it's the best Dragon Ball movie, I'd still give that distinction to Battle of Gods but this was still an absolute blast. Visually this is the strongest the series ever looked, the character dynamics, particularly with Goku, Vegeta, and Frieza, were absolutely top-notch. Tons of fun, and Frieza in particular was the constant highlight of the film. The OST was a little weak, and sometimes distractedly bad like when it was shouting "Gogeta" and the CGI implementation still isn't great, though occasionally it looked like I was watching FighterZ which isn't a bad thing.

As a reinterpretation of Broly and other non-canon events into canon, this does succeed in creating a more compelling character for Broly, though I don't think it does as good of a job at capturing the original appeal for Broly as the original movie did. Before that, real quick, Bardock's story was far better in the original speical. Anyway, in comparing the two one of the biggest points to the original movie was how well they built up to the overwhelming power of Broly. Both in the build and in the actually combat, with Broly utterly destroying the collection of fighters, and tying in a character arc for Vegeta specifically around the Legendary Super Sayian. Here, Broly is impressively strong but the action is far more even this time around (even with Goku in base) that the initial appeal of Broly doesn't really carry over for me. And for as much as I do like the new characterization of Broly, I do feel like the original's backstory better suited the blinding rage aspect of his personality. And I feel like the set-up in the other movie was better situated to creating more tangible stakes. I do think this movie managed to contain some actual dramatic stakes here (something which Resurrection F failed to do) but still, I'm naturally going to compare the two and these are ways in which this doesn't quite match the original. You know, the gag itself was good but just the fact that Frieza was able to survive for a straight hour of just getting pummeled by Broly, both hurt the dramatic stakes and the impression of Broly as an ultimate warrior.

That said, I don't rank the original that highly of a movie, and I have no qualms at all saying that despite what I just said, Super Broly is a far better movie. And a lot of that has to do with not the action but the characterization. Frieza is an absolute joy all throughout, I'm really glad there seems to be no attempt to redeem him here (Dragon Ball has enough face turns) and his vanity and evil trolling never ceased to be the greatest sense of amusement. Broly is a lot more of an actual character this time, and that leads to some good moments, surprisingly though I think it's Goku who benefits the most from this. The ending with Goku visiting them on Vampa was one of the best showcase for who this guy fundamentally is, and I love that the movie allowed him to express this. The earlier scene where as SSG Goku tells Broly he's not one of their enemies (fantastic use of the old visuals with the flashbacks to all their previous big bad's btw) and that the fight was over is perhaps my favorite moment of the movie, and this is why I love re-interpretations because it's so fundamentally different to the dynamic they use to have, and this new dynamic better displays Goku's strengths as a character.

I do have problems though, for example while I liked Broly's little rag-tag friends, Cheelai's appearances once the fight starting all boiling down to her repeating the fact that Broly's a good guy and Paragus was the real villain was a little annoying. Didn't really need that constant reminder from her, and I felt like the aforementioned Goku scene was strong enough to drive home that point if they felt it needed to be refreshed during the fight. And a lot of my other issues stem from the fight itself. Like I understand why they did it, but having Goku go through his transformations one at a time right after Vegeta already did the same felt unnecessary, and the dynamics of the fight didn't really change all that much with each transformation so it didn't really hold much impact for me. I also didn't like how long Gok's Super Sayian Blue transformation took (Vegeta could do it immediately), I know it's purpose is to build anticipate but it felt like most wasted time and something we should've left to the pacing issues of the past. Also, while the fight was really fast and really fun to watch, it lacked a lot of distinction. I saw it only several hours ago but I couldn't really name a ton of highlights from it. The final attack, the Kamehameha/Garlick Gun (though mostly notable for the CGI), Vegeta sending Broly through tons of mountains, and of course, Broly running whilst holding Goku's face towards the mountain (which is a lovely homage to original movie mind you, but it still means the most memorable sequence was directly lifted). To be honest, by the end of the fight with Gogeta, I was getting bored with the action. For the most part it's broken up with well-timed humour and the animation and "special effects" for the fight make it a visual spectacle but I can't help but feel like the fight itself is carried solely by animation strength. Which isn't a problem for the movie since it's beautifully animated but it does mean when Super starts up again and they recap this movie, that arc is going to be terrible. Also, the breaking reality portion of the fight was really lame to. Like the idea is a neat way to make the battle seem more visually interesting whilst also highlighting the enormous powers of the two but something so grand only resulting in a temporary change of background is pretty lame.

Though again I need to reiterate that for the most part, this was unbridled joy. My complaints are mostly nitpicks I suppose because in the grand scheme of things, I walked out of this movie getting my money's worth, and I had an absolute blast with this movie. 8/10, it is a must-see experience for any Dragon Ball fan, and seeing it in theatres was an exquisite treat.
 
Jan 17, 8:08 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 6798
Watched this last night in IMAX (still can't get over the fact that an anime movie got an IMAX release, lol), and it was fun stuff. The Planet Vegeta/Broly flashback was surprisingly longer than expected, as it takes up 1/3 of the movie. And the amount of time it takes for Broly to get hostile when they landed on Earth was surprisingly short, lol. I did like how Broly's character was treated. I hope he becomes a regular in the manga or in a sequel TV anime. But as others have said, this feels like a 3-4 hour story's script being crammed into 2 hours. The first half was decently paced, but there should've been some flow between the part when Freeza and Broly landed on Earth and the moment Broly started fighting. Can't help but feel that everything was too sudden.

But let's be real, we're just watching this movie for the fights anyways, and man, it was glorious. Last half was just pure action with little breaks in between. Of course Vegeta was the first one to fight, so he can get defeated and Goku can take over. I'm surprised that Goku didn't go in his Ultra Instinct form, but he did kinda have a bit of Ultra Instinct in him when he was in his different forms, or at least that's what it seemed like. Animation quality was insane and the artwork was solid. I absolutely loved that tiny part where the fight was shown from a first-person view of Broly's perspective. The character models were done in CGI at times (during the fights), but it only went on for a total time of 2-3 mins at most. Plus, the CGI for both the character models and the background was very good. It's just that you can still tell it's CGI and for that reason alone, it's distracting. It doesn't matter how good the CGI is, noticing that the movie changed its art style kinda takes you out of the movie. But it's not bad, and the production quality for the movie is still top-tier.

The music on the other hand was underwhelming. That "Go Broly, Go, Go..." really took me out of the movie. The Gogeta part of the fight felt a bit short though, or maybe because the fight ended prematurely. Kinda anti-climactic, but that scene with Goku and Broly at the end made up for it. I liked how Goku called himself Kakarot at the end. Also, the movie has it's fair share of comedic moments. Beerus left to babysit, Freeza's height wish, and Goku and Vegeta's fusion dance, were all amazing. I've loved to see an episode of Beerus babysitting, lol. Also I was glad to see Piccolo since he's my favorite DB character. Not a single bit of Gohan, which was just, wow. Gohan used to be one of my favorites, but after how he got treated in Super, his hype level went down. Kinda hard to believe this was the same person who defeated Cell as a 9-year-old kid. Oh well, maybe someday he can actually train with his dad and not Piccolo.

Also gotta say, people were cheering in the theaters for the most tiniest things. Like, when Broly wrecked Goku, people started clapping and I was just wondering, "I-Isn't he the character we're supposed to be rooting?". Even Cheelai's ass shot got some claps and laughs, lmao. Not that I wasn't cheering or anything.

7/10. Watched it a second time and I realized how much I truly love this movie. 8/10
Modified by GoldenDevilGamer, Jan 25, 6:30 PM
 
Jan 17, 7:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1943
I truly don't know how they'll top this animation for the inevitable next film, because whoo boy, the fight animation here was easily the best in the franchise, and makes the fights from the previous two films look tame in comparison.

Broly is finally likable, Vegeta actually looked good and didn't have a "jobbing" scene, Gogeta is a boss, the two new characters are fun additions, and the final scene was actually cute. Not much negatives here.

Oh, and Beerus may have finally been surpassed.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

 
Jan 17, 8:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 352
Dude. My first instinct was to give this a 9--the same score I have for Dead Zone, being being some of the purest and tightest DB I've ever seen. I realized I couldn't leave it tied with that, because this fucking movie surpasses everything DB movies have ever been, and set an entirely new precedent for the level of storytelling and character building that can be done in a DRAGON BALL movie of all things! And maybe I'm just relieved for something that looks better than Super, but this was seriously some of the most beautiful and stunning anime I've ever seen. I really can't give it anything other than the perfect 10.

Also I want a bonus scene on the blu ray of more Beerus and Bra on the beach. That was precious.

Edit: I saw it a second time, and I couldn't quite justify the 10/10, so instead I lowered it and had to adjust my rating for every other DB movie xD
Modified by MrLegitimacy, Jan 22, 6:03 AM
 
Jan 18, 7:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 829
Was ok. Fight scenes were 10/10. Everything else was like can we just get on to the next fight. Gogetta mob training Broly on Vegetta was funny
 
Jan 18, 8:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 4132
So many great things about this movie from top to bottom, but holy fucking hell the fight scenes were mindblowing. Also Frieza was low key the MVP for comedy in the movie
My Queens

 
Jan 19, 1:53 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 55
Ok why admins are not updating the average ratings?
 
Jan 19, 7:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 80
10/10, really liked the focus on Planet Vegeta's past and turning Broly into a likable guy. That might of been the best fight scene in all of anime imo.
 
Jan 19, 9:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
This movie was awesome. A little much CGI for our taste but all in all a 9/10!

Here's our thoughts on it:

https://youtu.be/oVCg4V6k62w
 
Jan 19, 1:00 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 1125
Managed to see the film.



I think it’s a good enough watch for both fans and non-fans.


Edit - This is my 1000th post. Neat.
Modified by Haneken2086, Jan 19, 1:06 PM
 
Jan 19, 9:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 107
This was a God damn visual feast, I did not except it too look THIS good. Storytelling was tight, with little filler; unlike so many of the other movies where a third seems to be dedicated to slice of life/comedy. They made Broly into an actual character too. Best Dragon Ball movie ever. The animation alone has it at the top.
 
Jan 19, 11:57 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 517
Wow this was so much better than I thought it would be. I only like a few of the DB movies, but Broly was one of them. This one easily surpasses most other DB movies though. My theater was cracking up at parts and clapping at others. The music was probably the best thing overall - the chants made the battles sooo epic. 8/10
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
 
Jan 20, 4:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 637
Visually this movie is a masterpiece even tho some of the shots were moving and spinning so much it looked like a worldstarhiphop video.

Few gripes:
-Shakey camera and sudden burst of lights. If you suffered from motion sickness or epilepsy, you'd be dead
-Way too much screaming. Broly M8 had at least dialogue. This reminded me of M10 and M11 when his brain became pudding
-The transition between Broly's transformations had little impact to no impact. When his father was killed to the time he transformed was so little, it shocked me. went from fighting to "hey Broly, your father is dead" to a transformation...that was ass. Broly's movie 8 handled it better

Other than that, being a Broly fan since early 2000s, it was good.
 
Jan 20, 11:40 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 86
This was HYPE AS F**K!!!
 
Jan 20, 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1728
Seeing this at the theater was the first Dragon Ball I've watched since I caught the first 30-40 episodes of the Cell saga on Toonami in 2000. (Had to stop because it was "too violent," was allowed to watch LotR a year later though. Still somehow managed to catch Gohan's final victory by chance.) (I'm not counting three episodes of GT in 2003. Would you count that?)

I had forgotten that the Saiyans' homeworld was destroyed, so the entire opening arc was new to me, and I loved it. I didn't know Goku's backstory was so much like Superman's. And Broly's was Superman meets Wrath of Khan, very cool. The rest was about what I expected going in, but with a lot more comedy. Really liked the happy ending, especially considering I initially thought Cheelai might not survive long.

MahiaErebeaNegi said:
I can't believe Sumitomo actually try to make me hate his music even more than I did with Super, those rock musics (Especially the one with lyrics) was god awful and sound so out-of-place here, even some of Yamamoto's Kai (And Plagiarized) musics are far batter than those. Although there is still have some nice music, like the one used during Frieza destroy Planet Vegeta.

That's about what I wanted to say, except that this is my first contact with his work. I was impressed by that tragedy cue and was looking forward to the rest of the score, then... what? :P I thought the vocals might have been a callback, but no; well, that's good. My coworker friend I saw it with was complaining about and mocking that music afterward. I said I'll be sure to download it and play it at work.
 
Jan 20, 9:36 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2018
Posts: 4
The fights were awesome, not a fan of cgi, horrible music, didn't like the change in the saiyan story but I liked this more than the other two super movies.
 
Jan 21, 6:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 272
Fun Fact: Apparently those tracks that had the singer yelling out the characters names were apparently a reference to how Dragon Ball fights have been hyped & shown in large crowds in many parts of Latin America.

Which I understand because I once saw a reaction video of a large crowd of people in a public street square watching the final fight of Super on a big screen & then started cheering & screaming the characters names during the hype moments like Frieza trying to ring out Jiren where everyone started yelling out "FRIEZA, FRIEZA, FRIEZA!"

Also the move was fantastic, fights were gorgeous & Broly was just an adorable little scamp.
Modified by Slimcoder, Jan 21, 8:03 PM
I used to be a watchmaker.
 
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »