New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Sep 20, 2018 6:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Leafx42 said:
Hatred said:
this thread has been made so many times

I've have only really posted on the forums for a month or so, and I've already seen just about every thread, seen on the front pages, posted at least three different times. People have something on their minds, and instead of looking, they just create a new topic. I read them on the off chance someone says something unique. But that's rare because it appears most on here don't really discuss anything. Threads are dominated by one off opinions or trolls.

Pfft. Beautiful.

Welcome to AD. Our greatest accomplishment as a discussion board is pretty much summed up as "At least we're not CE yet!"

Realization of how the board actually functions has set in, so now just see if you stick around and let yourself be driven completely insane by it all. This board is only for the people who do and read the exact same fucking shit over and over and over again, expecting and hoping for something different to occur.
ManabanSep 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Sep 20, 2018 6:44 PM

Dec 2017
glassknuckles said:
I like isekai as a concept, but I like very few of the so-called isekai.
(and I don't count Konosuba as one, since it's a satire and to do it the disservice of calling it 'isekai' implies the trope is being played straight)

1. reincarnated into another jrpg world. what grinds my gears is not even having the decency to be a generic fantasy world, just a generic jrpg world with explicit jrpg mechanics. excuse me what the fuck?
Vision of Escaflowne has a unique setting for its fantasy world, it's instantly recognizable, blends shoujo and mecha genres and has interesting concepts, and it's an actual world, not a goddamn game.
2. these are mostly transparent egoist power trip storylines, with a dude getting sex slave harems in Ragnarok and How not to summon a demon lord, ramping up to the level of the Japanese ethnostate as the JSDF slaughters indigenous fighters in GATE like a gang of British tommies with Maxim guns in Africa.
Re:Zero is better than average because it subverts the trope of the superman protagonist, and Subaru's not even very likeable (compared to the bland good guy Japanese teen boy cutouts the viewer is meant to self-insert with, I suppose).

RedPlaty said:
i think a lot of hate has to deal with mc being transported to a fantasy setting every single time. isekai just means transported to new world; there is no specific clause forcing it to be a fantasy setting every time. a sci-fi one, or heck even transported to a different part of the same earth would be more refreshing

+1 The number of isekai where the transport is to a sci-fi setting can probably be counted on less than 1 hand.
sci-fi ones are just vr shit, so there you go
Yeah right there is no way a doujin about vomit exists.
Good song https://soundcloud.com/yeungkakit33/op4-hekireki-last-alliance
Tsumino account is BigMaraIppo
Another Good Song Listen to テスト by mukami #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/mukami/77a
Ashita no Joe and Megalo box are disappointing anime.
My reviews:https://myanimelist.net/profile/Botan-Chan45/reviews
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
discord name: Chitoge Kirisaki#9564
https://discord.gg/nGKu6zx my discord server for plebs
Sep 20, 2018 6:45 PM

Dec 2017
cause these are the same people to like battle shounen and other shitty genres. they need to hate something to feel like they arent completely new
Best Naruto Op: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCNZxOBVWM&list=RDByCNZxOBVWM&index=1
Sep 20, 2018 6:52 PM

Aug 2015
Botan-Chan45 said:

nah. it can't be isekai if the character isn't transported to another world. VR sims and networks and games etc. are all part of one world, not separate worlds in some other plane of existence, universe or planet.
If 'getting trapped in VR' counts as isekai, then so does 'taking a vacation to Rwanda'.
Sep 20, 2018 6:55 PM

Dec 2017
glassknuckles said:
Botan-Chan45 said:

nah. it can't be isekai if the character isn't transported to another world. VR sims and networks and games etc. are all part of one world, not separate worlds in some other plane of existence, universe or planet.
If 'getting trapped in VR' counts as isekai, then so does 'taking a vacation to Rwanda'.
a vacation to rwanda is lit fam, dont see anything wrong with it
Sep 20, 2018 7:08 PM

Oct 2017
Because the market is flooded with them and it's the most unoriginal idea at this point.
Sep 20, 2018 8:11 PM

Dec 2015
The isekai genre by its very nature quite problematic, as the premise of these anime essentially boil down to "wish-fulfillment" for the vastly male otaku audience. This wish-fulfillment more often than not includes the MC building both a harem by collecting trophy wives and comically overpowered strength. From a feminist perspective, this is pretty blatant misogyny, as everything within the isekai machine is filtered through a male lense. It is pretty ironic the praised shows you mention in the OP are quitque honestly some of the worst offenders.
Sep 20, 2018 8:21 PM

Aug 2018
Because lot of them have generic plot and predictable outcome. Also, lot of people hate popular stuff, so add what I said before and it's pretty easy to complain. When you see someone say that "how not to summon a demon lord" has a great plot(real plot not tatas) you know that he/she is done and looses the argument in a second.
Sep 20, 2018 8:39 PM

Jun 2015
if you die in the game you die in real life!

Sep 20, 2018 8:41 PM

Apr 2017
well everyone loved the divine comedy, alice in wonderland, and the wizard of oz, so japan in its infinite irradiated wisdom decided to copy that with the twist of it being a video game world, then they decided doing fantasy that's not a video game world is overrated and now here we are
Sep 20, 2018 9:23 PM

Feb 2015
>Overlord
>West

Literally it's basically the same as Isekai Maou this season and I would guess that it was the same as the previous isekai. Literally, it's bullcrap; which in fact makes Isekai smartphone a little bit unique than Overlord.

Ohhh and by the way. Overlord sucked ass at "world-building" that most MALers can write anything better than Overlord.

Ohh and then again, Re:Zero just happened to be "hated" because Remfags are fucking triggered for whatever reason. I too want to know why.

*god I can't find this on my imgur account*

I can see the overly useless and saturated hate on series with fanservices. I get it, can we get over this? No we cannot; for we are generally a closet sexually frustrated faggots wanting to bang our fappable loli waifus and somehow, call it "pure" for whatever reason.

>- Isekai smartphone (worst of the worst cliché, the main "culprit" behind the isekai hate)

Nani the fuck is this bait my goddamn OP? At least link the subreddit where you get this from so I can see how you made it 100x worse.

>- Death March (although the source material is good, it's among the slowest-paced isekai in existence, the anime adaptation had many issues and adapted the weakest part of the series)

Ehhh, yeah I can agree on the slow pacing of the series, how it differs from the source itself probably wouldn't change much. It doesn't ultimately involve in MC at least being Overlord OP faggot-like but yeah he is though he's a much more better MC, too be his not lolicon though :/

Again, I'll end this at this note. Japan ought to get away from their shit taste and instead have 2-cour OSO anime adaptation.

FFS Japan!
Sep 20, 2018 11:08 PM

Apr 2015
Most recent isekai nowadays promotes nothing but wish-fulfillment, escapism, and one of the most bland/generic forms of storytelling out there in recent years.

Probably the worse thing about it, is that the majority of this isekai are made purely for otaku-pandering and nothing more. For a subgenre that has been so popular over the years, you'll think that the industry will try to do more with it. And yet it hasn't change much at all (other genres had fall into this), beside a couple of minor things here and there. Don't you think people will eventually get tired of it? I'm sure am and others may too you know.
Sep 20, 2018 11:59 PM
Sep 2018
your forgetting that elitists started the trend of hating on isekai because most casuals actual like the sub-genre. plus its pretty popular in the west. you know what they say, "If you ain't got haters you ain't poppin".

P.s. I personally dont like iseskai too much but i dont hate on ppl that do cause im not a elitist. #fucktheelitists
Sep 21, 2018 12:17 AM

Sep 2016

I gotta call you out on this...

You haven't even watched/dropped Quanzhi Fashi or Isekai Shokudou, but yet you're going to call them bad?

Quanzhi Fashi is somewhat unique with the MC finding himself in an alternate timeline of the world he knew (magic replacing science/technology).
Isekai Shokudou already has a copycat anime out, but was fairly unique for having customers/visitors to the restaurant via a doorway from another world rather than people being trapped.

I think OP got it right....
Grey-Zone said:
I noticed that recently some people, specifically the "isekai haters", have had this unexplainable grudge that makes them dismiss any series that has the words "reincarnated into another world", "transported into another world" or "summoned into another world" in the synopsis.

How many other Isekai shows that you haven't watched are in this list of "terrible obscure and forgotten seasonal shit" that can "go on forever"?
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Sep 21, 2018 12:23 AM

Nov 2017
@Older_than_dirt I know at least 20 more that I can't really remember the names of and I don't add everything to my list because I don't remember them very well. Like I said the execution was mediocre and while it was better than something like the Ragnarok airing this season it wasn't anything amazing, there are only a handful of isekai shows that I would call great.
Sep 21, 2018 1:06 AM

May 2018
"What makes people hate isekai so much?"
Because lately we have a lot of crappy isekai titles.

There was a time when we got very few of them and they weren't that bad.
But some years ago came this isekai trend and every able or not so LN writer is trying to exploit it.

Not so unexpectedly the results are not stellar.
Sep 21, 2018 1:45 AM

Nov 2017
RapidShadow said:

IDK maybe I'm interpreting this the wrong way but his question was that why do people hate on new upcoming isekai anime so I gave him a reason why they're hated and why people will hate them unless they do something original like Overlord.

huh? Did you just write that Overlord is original?

At least isekai shokudo doesnt had harem echi and useless NEET as and MC (btw, i already watch 5 from your list above)

RapidShadow said:

I can even show you some older good ones:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/182/Tenkuu_no_Escaflowne?q=Esca
https://myanimelist.net/anime/160/Ima_Soko_ni_Iru_Boku?q=Now%20and%20
https://myanimelist.net/anime/249/InuYasha?q=Inyasha

I've been following seasonals a lot longer than I was in this site and probably you too I have seen several more that I can show and even more trashy novels but I don't have that much time.

I dont remember that inusyasha was an isekai theme... i always think inuyasha is a time travel anime that kagome transfered into certain time on the past and met inuyasha and they married on that time, of course kagome went to her original timeline to ask her mom first....

I never hate isekai theme... i just hate the copypasta like isekaiphone,isekaimao,deathmarch and stuff.

i'll put some my favorite isekai theme:
- GATE
- Naruto: Shippuuden Movie 6 - Road to Ninja
- Hataraku Maou-sama! (reverse isekai)
- Isekai Shokudou
- Chalk Zone
- Narnia
Now Loading.....
Sep 21, 2018 2:24 AM

Jul 2015
A lot of people also read manga and/or light novels and see the deluge of bad isekai that exists out there. They've seen the isekai device over-used to the point where unless there's a bizarre twist (such as being reincarnated as vending machine or Putin being the one isekai'd) then it's likely to be ignored. IIRC it got so bad that a LN contest in Japan had to ban isekai since so many were being submitted.
So within the wider context people have been over-exposed to isekai media and fear that soon more and more anime will be isekai which will mean less anime that they could be interested in.
Sep 21, 2018 2:28 AM

Oct 2014
_Ako_ said:
>Overlord
>West

Literally it's basically the same as Isekai Maou this season and I would guess that it was the same as the previous isekai. Literally, it's bullcrap; which in fact makes Isekai smartphone a little bit unique than Overlord.

Ohhh and by the way. Overlord sucked ass at "world-building" that most MALers can write anything better than Overlord.

Oh yea, "Sasuga, Ainz-sama" is totally a common trope... except it's not. Also shit taste confirmed ;)
Well, personal taste aside, the MAL score and popularity disagrees with you.

_Ako_ said:
Ohh and then again, Re:Zero just happened to be "hated" because Remfags are fucking triggered for whatever reason. I too want to know why.

Maybe. I actually didn't watch Re:Zero yet. I just base it based on the reception I have witnessed on these forums and elsewhere.

_Ako_ said:
I can see the overly useless and saturated hate on series with fanservices. I get it, can we get over this? No we cannot; for we are generally a closet sexually frustrated faggots wanting to bang our fappable loli waifus and somehow, call it "pure" for whatever reason.

>- Isekai smartphone (worst of the worst cliché, the main "culprit" behind the isekai hate)

Nani the fuck is this bait my goddamn OP? At least link the subreddit where you get this from so I can see how you made it 100x worse.

The thing with smartphone is that in the very beginning the author had original ideas and it seemed like it might be quite good, but then he ran out of ideas pretty quickly and you can even see how he switches from original characters to standard cliché. Compare Touya's dynamics with the girls in the first carriage ride where he can make perverted jokes about stealing panties easily and the girls actually feel intimidated by him (this part was when author was still writing based on own ideas) to when Touya starts acting like the standard ecchi harem beta protagonist with paralysis and stuttering in every even slightly ecchi situation and the whole girls get violent in ecchi situation even if the girl caused the ecchi situation in the first place and the guy always gets blamed for it regardless. It could have been so good, but the author just had to fall back on common tropes and cliché...

_Ako_ said:
>- Death March (although the source material is good, it's among the slowest-paced isekai in existence, the anime adaptation had many issues and adapted the weakest part of the series)

Ehhh, yeah I can agree on the slow pacing of the series, how it differs from the source itself probably wouldn't change much. It doesn't ultimately involve in MC at least being Overlord OP faggot-like but yeah he is though he's a much more better MC, too be his not lolicon though :/

The director disappointed me. The director did fate/kaleid btw, but I didn't watch it. What makes me disappointed is that the same director also adaptated Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry, which was done great, which makes the failure with Death March even worse since it raised expectations...

_Ako_ said:
Again, I'll end this at this note. Japan ought to get away from their shit taste and instead have 2-cour OSO anime adaptation.

FFS Japan!

What's "OSO"? I might even know it, just not this short form.

Mastergold said:
Most recent isekai nowadays promotes nothing but wish-fulfillment, escapism, and one of the most bland/generic forms of storytelling out there in recent years.

Probably the worse thing about it, is that the majority of this isekai are made purely for otaku-pandering and nothing more. For a subgenre that has been so popular over the years, you'll think that the industry will try to do more with it. And yet it hasn't change much at all (other genres had fall into this), beside a couple of minor things here and there. Don't you think people will eventually get tired of it? I'm sure am and others may too you know.

That whole "self-insert wish-fulfillment" argument is complete BS no matter how many times I read it. It's essentially "relatable character I don't like". It makes no sense whatsoever.

Under the same logic you could call Sherlock Holmes a "self-insert wish-fulfillment" protagonist for all the autistic nerds who got bullied in school and can now project themselves into him and enjoy being a smartass asshole to everyone with their superior intellect. On top of that he is the equivalent of an "OP" character in our world, so there is also no "character development" and "no tension" since "we know he will solve the case anyway". And yet this old work is being praised to heavens just for being written long ago and being famous.

RogueBubble said:
A lot of people also read manga and/or light novels and see the deluge of bad isekai that exists out there. They've seen the isekai device over-used to the point where unless there's a bizarre twist (such as being reincarnated as vending machine or Putin being the one isekai'd) then it's likely to be ignored. IIRC it got so bad that a LN contest in Japan had to ban isekai since so many were being submitted.
So within the wider context people have been over-exposed to isekai media and fear that soon more and more anime will be isekai which will mean less anime that they could be interested in.

Most of the isekai being adaptated into anime in recent years all come from the same Web Novel website and were all written around 2010-2014.

On top of that they are not getting anime adaptations in release order. I think the upcoming slime isekai is actually older than most of the other isekai that are being released recently...
Grey-ZoneSep 21, 2018 2:35 AM
Sep 21, 2018 3:33 AM

May 2012
I don't hate Isekai. Most Isekai are good, some are bad

Example of good and entertaining Isekai

- Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria
- Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
- Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
- Overlord
-Re; Zero
- No game No life

Example of bad Isekai show
-Quanzhi Fashi (chinese don't know how to make good isekai
-Isekai Shokudou (No story, no fanservice/echii, no good characters, very boring)
Sep 21, 2018 6:34 AM

Feb 2015
>Oh yea, "Sasuga, Ainz-sama" is totally a common trope... except it's not.

Implying that OP characters are not a common trope. MAL is only a fraction of the world's population, MAL score doesn't reflect anything nor it does reflect West's ideology towards the series itself, though I do agree that, Overlord did something great which is the fact that even though, one after another is a filler EP, Kingdom arc is quite funny to watch.

The thing with smartphone is that in the very beginning the author had original ideas and it seemed like it might be quite good, but then he ran out of ideas pretty quickly and you can even see how he switches from original characters to standard cliché. Compare Touya's dynamics with the girls in the first carriage ride where he can make perverted jokes about stealing panties easily and the girls actually feel intimidated by him (this part was when author was still writing based on own ideas) to when Touya starts acting like the standard ecchi harem beta protagonist with paralysis and stuttering in every even slightly ecchi situation and the whole girls get violent in ecchi situation even if the girl caused the ecchi situation in the first place and the guy always gets blamed for it regardless. It could have been so good, but the author just had to fall back on common tropes and cliché...

Yes, because 1 min of each EPs makes a series bad. OP, you're fucking genius for ignore thing 20 mins or so of the EP. Isekai smartphone did something better that Overlord couldn't and will never do; which is the establishment of the world in isekai and its foundation. We all know that Ainz as a OP character will always win. That is a fact; it devoids of any meaningful foreshadowing of the world since, why? Because Ainz-sama will just kill them all in one single sweep, and whallla~~~ we hail Ainz-sama each end of the arc :/ By far the only arc I really understood its foundation would be the Lizardmen arc. Hey, I wouldn't be lying if I said, that if someone skipped the whole "world building" in Overlord and just watched the end of the arc ... he still would understand the series the same light as someone who watched the entire thing

I did remember Kishi no Rakudai but I didn't watch it. I would probably say that Death March's slow pacing probably revolves because it introduces the world and the the system but failed at it. Kinda like why SAO is the best by far with that :/

Sep 21, 2018 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
MeinKaiser said:
wtf

deathgame vrmmorpg sub genre ? did you pull that out of your *** ?

Yeah, is that not another world? Also, Konosuba is a parody series of isekai shows and appeals to people who enjoy isekai I guess.
Sep 21, 2018 7:16 AM

Oct 2014
_Ako_ said:
>Oh yea, "Sasuga, Ainz-sama" is totally a common trope... except it's not.

Implying that OP characters are not a common trope. MAL is only a fraction of the world's population, MAL score doesn't reflect anything nor it does reflect West's ideology towards the series itself, though I do agree that, Overlord did something great which is the fact that even though, one after another is a filler EP, Kingdom arc is quite funny to watch.

That's not a real criticism. I mean what alternatives do you have? Weak characters staying weak, but getting through things with their wits? Weak leader characters that command the strong characters from the back? Strong leader characters that command other strong characters from the front? And the most common one, a character who is weak at the beginning, both in terms of strength and personality and slowly grows very strong in both. That's pretty much it. And I'd think that among these "OP characters" isn't actually that common. The fact that developing characters completely overshadow any other type of characters in terms of quantity makes ANY kind of criticism about the quantity of any other type complete and utter BS.
Actually I have seen so many weaklings slooooooooooooooowly growing strong that I am quite sick of it by now. Don't get how others can complain about OP ones.

And Sasuga Ainz-Sama doesn't refer to him as being OP, but rather about how funny the misunderstandings are, considering that from the side-characters perspective, the possibility of Ainz just being so awesome as he appears would actually be higher than "it's all just a coincidence".

_Ako_ said:

Yes, because 1 min of each EPs makes a series bad. OP, you're fucking genius for ignore thing 20 mins or so of the EP. Isekai smartphone did something better that Overlord couldn't and will never do; which is the establishment of the world in isekai and its foundation. We all know that Ainz as a OP character will always win. That is a fact; it devoids of any meaningful foreshadowing of the world since, why? Because Ainz-sama will just kill them all in one single sweep, and whallla~~~ we hail Ainz-sama each end of the arc :/ By far the only arc I really understood its foundation would be the Lizardmen arc. Hey, I wouldn't be lying if I said, that if someone skipped the whole "world building" in Overlord and just watched the end of the arc ... he still would understand the series the same light as someone who watched the entire thing

The "we know X will win, because he is so powerful, so the series is bad" argument seems rather weak. The only situations you'd even seriously consider the "good guys losing" would be either when the stakes are low (e.g. a sports anime or a tournement arc) or if the good guys get "captured", which usually gets followed up by a predictable break-out attempt or a rescue operation where someone will probably make a heroic sacrifice. In high-stakes battle the battle will always be won by the good guys after some random power-of-friendship power-up or they will be saved by plot armor or villain arrogance (e.g. unexpected reinforcements or good guys fall off cliff with the villain saying "they probably died, let's leave).

Due to all the above almost always being true (it's a pleasant surprise if for once it's not), I don't even view "tension" as a factor anymore when watching anything action oriented, so I think the argument that "OP characters fighting won't have any tension" is completely worthless not only to me, but to many others as well.

_Ako_ said:
I did remember Kishi no Rakudai but I didn't watch it. I would probably say that Death March's slow pacing probably revolves because it introduces the world and the the system but failed at it. Kinda like why SAO is the best by far with that :/

It's also about the length of the series, ironically SAO would have probably done better with a single cour because the second half of season 1 was viewed as much weaker.
Death March on the other hand would have really needed a second cour.

JackJoestar said:
MeinKaiser said:
wtf

deathgame vrmmorpg sub genre ? did you pull that out of your *** ?

Yeah, is that not another world? Also, Konosuba is a parody series of isekai shows and appeals to people who enjoy isekai I guess.

Yes, it's not another world. In one case you are in your home connected to a VR-system with very bad security protocols that it can cause your death where there are NPCs who are (almost) all collectively controlled by some super-advanced AI, in the other case you literally travel through dimensions into a whole other physical world with actual individual people in it just like you.

Completely different.
Grey-ZoneSep 21, 2018 7:19 AM
Sep 21, 2018 7:40 AM

Feb 2015
@Grey-Zone

>That's not a real criticism

What doesn't? The fact that there are isekai out there that's better than Overlord?

>Strong leader characters that command other strong characters from the front?

Sure implying that Ainz commands everything and not Albedo/Demuigre( spelling?)

>Actually I have seen so many weaklings slooooooooooooooowly growing strong that I am quite sick of it by now. Don't get how others can complain about OP ones.

Sure... Because To be A Power in the Shadow is also a very good Overlord-copy... Implying that, for some reason, it's worse than Overlord... Quite the irony.

>And Sasuga Ainz-Sama doesn't refer to him as being OP, but rather about how funny the misunderstandings are, considering that from the side-characters perspective, the possibility of Ainz just being so awesome as he appears would actually be higher than "it's all just a coincidence".

Ahhhh so you mean that huh, sure doesn't change the fact that Miles-chan is better than Overlord in that aspect :/ The misunderstandings gets quite boring since it's a cliche of the series itself which renders any possible world-building. Sure but that doesn't matter since the side-characters are actually the main characters and not Ainz himself :/

>The "we know X will win, because he is so powerful, so the series is bad" argument seems rather weak

It just removes good world-building content, but well if you think it's a weak argument sure sure, it's not my place to shove it in your throat. I already mentioned why... Just read it again if in case you forgot. Overlord doesn't establish world-building it just introduces world-building, there's a difference.

You should have mentioned the fact that, Entoma or whoever she is, lost, then I'd probably just laugh and say you're right, though you didn't really say it since, mhhh, you probably was ehhhh, waiting to hail Ainz-sama :/

I wouldn't say the 2nd half of SAO is bad. Probably because I wholly enjoyed Asuna rape scene, well it's just me I guess. Then again, Death march 2nd cour... Mhhh not quite sure how it'd play differently.
Sep 21, 2018 8:49 AM
Jul 2018
I just think it's the overabundance of the genre being made in recent years. It just got boring to see after awhile.
Sep 21, 2018 8:56 AM

Oct 2015
That's because, in essence, being transported to a videogame-like world, where you can become an overpowered main character and get all the girls, is the fantasy of every shut in/incel.

Some people just don't identify with that.

Stepped out from the darkness I contained in me.
Released myself form the shackles I helped create.

I've got the power of life in my hands,
and I intend to keep it.

My life has meaning after all.

Sep 21, 2018 9:14 AM

Apr 2009
Guys,tbh i had watch an isekai anime that's more worse in my opinion and the title was Marchen Madchen and seriously i watch this for 4 episodes and found uninspiring but the concept of putting girls that transform in to fairy tale characters might be ok but the MC is more a cowardly mess i just want to forget watching this shit by drinking Stolichnaya or Smirnoff vodka :p or worse i wanna slap the MC of Marchen with an empty bottle of Tanqueray gin
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Sep 21, 2018 9:18 AM

Oct 2014
CherryLover said:
The isekai genre by its very nature quite problematic, as the premise of these anime essentially boil down to "wish-fulfillment" for the vastly male otaku audience. This wish-fulfillment more often than not includes the MC building both a harem by collecting trophy wives and comically overpowered strength. From a feminist perspective, this is pretty blatant misogyny, as everything within the isekai machine is filtered through a male lense. It is pretty ironic the praised shows you mention in the OP are quitque honestly some of the worst offenders.
Your post is quite hypocritical.

Say it is "wish-fulfillment", calling men misogynistic for writing about themselves is thoughtless. Isn't that what you want women to do? If the genders were flipped your argument can be copy and pasted saying that Isekai is sexist toward men.

From a classical "feminist perspective", there is absolutely nothing wrong with people writing their own stories. If you have a problem with creators writing stories for themselves, pick up a pencil and write your own story.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 21, 2018 9:21 AM

Jan 2015
the fact that the big majrotiy is a harem. otherwise isekais are just like normal fantasy imo.
Sep 21, 2018 9:30 AM
Aug 2011
CondemneDio said:
I think it's mostly the over-abundance.

I completely agree with this. I saw a recent whole-season-overview video on youtube, and the guy noted 4 isekai-based shows out of the line-up. And you know what? he even missed that Overlord was another one that should count, since he hadn't seen Overlord.

What the OP is missing is that he's only listing the *well-known* isekai series, which is biased towards the better ones.

These are just the ones airing from the July 2018 season that are isekai:

Overlord III
Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria
Shichisei no Subaru
Yume Oukoku to Nemureru 100-nin no Ouji-sama
cipheronSep 21, 2018 9:41 AM
Sep 21, 2018 9:34 AM

Oct 2014
cipheron said:
CondemneDio said:
I think it's mostly the over-abundance.

I completely agree with this. I saw a recent whole-season-overview video on youtube, and the guy noted something like 4-5 isekai-based shows out of the line-up. And you know what? he even missed one or two that I knew were in fact isekai-based, but he hadn't been aware of.

What the OP is missing is that he's only listing the *well-known* isekai series, which is biased towards the better ones. There are many, many more forgettable 1-season shows out there also on this bandwagon.
@Grey-Zone i think you have a duty to update the OP to avoid posters who think there is an overabundance of Isekai, with @Lisbon's post here where he breaks down the numbers. And any other points already covered.

Sep 21, 2018 9:49 AM
Aug 2011
Hmm, no though. Those numbers are off. Five isekai/trapped-in-MMO things came out in July 2018 out of about 50 shows. That's ... 10% of everything being isekai shows.

But also remember, when we say 50 shows airing in this season, a goodly chunk of that will include kid's shows and TV short anime (under 12 minutes). If you narrow that to 25-minute shows a teen or adult would watch then you're talking maybe ~20 reasonable shows to choose from, so the five Isekai account for a full quarter of all reasonably watchable shows. And if you exclude slice of life and romance shows, that would probably bump isekais in July up to about 1/3rd of the action/adventure viewing choices.

And if they're not strictly isekai, there are also series where the characters just live in an MMO-like world, just because, which are more or less the same exact plot just minus the plot-device about being transferred. For example, April 2018's Caligula.

Plus, the list is inconsistent, in that in includes some incarnations of SAO but excludes others, such as the one that aired last season. That one is therefore counted in the "non-isekai" shows along with a lot of things that shouldn't count.

Also, Dog Days 1 is counted, but none of the other Dog Days stuff is listed as being Isekai. Additionally, Astarotte no Omocha is an isekai show, but that's not listed either. All those seasons (and the OVAs for many isekai series) are therefore counted as non-isekai shows incorrectly, inflating the numbers of non-isekai things at the very least.

So, that methodology doesn't really work to get an accurate account of how many actual 25-minute TV shows are isekai/MMO-world at any one time.
cipheronSep 21, 2018 10:19 AM
Sep 21, 2018 10:05 AM

Oct 2014
cipheron said:
Hmm, no though. Those numbers are off. Five isekai/trapped-in-MMO things came out in July 2018 out of about 50 shows. That's ... 10% of everything being isekai shows.

But also remember, when we say 50 shows airing in this season, a goodly chunk of that will include kid's shows and TV short anime (under 12 minutes). If you narrow that to 25-minute shows a teen or adult would watch then you're talking maybe ~20 reasonable shows to choose from, so the five Isekai account for a full quarter of all reasonably watchable shows. And if you exclude slice of life and romance shows, that would probably bump isekais in July up to about 1/3rd of the action/adventure viewing choices.
It's definitely not a definitive list, and i don't think there is one out there without going through every single released TV series manually the past 16 years (defining the isekai boom) and making one yourself. You're right about the 5 this season. Would be nice if MAL had Isekai as a searchable Genre.

Sep 21, 2018 10:20 AM
Aug 2011
These things come in waves however, I'm not really complaining. For example, after YowaPedal got big there was one season with no less than three cycling animes at the same time.

I'll also point out that the anidb list fails to list GATE as an isekai show, which is a pretty big omission.
Sep 21, 2018 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
I think it's mostly because it's oversaturated
almost every season so far has atleast 3 isekai shows, in 5 years when a new trend pops up people will probably be less harsh towards the genre
PLAE MY GAEM BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH
Neapolitan Nightmares
Sep 21, 2018 12:03 PM

Nov 2013
On a side note, many don't even know what constitutes being an Isekai, so their "criticism" is moot.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Sep 21, 2018 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
9/10 new forum post have been posted before.

>Buts it's all good
Sep 21, 2018 10:28 PM

Feb 2010
i don't hate Isekai. i hate poorly done Isekai which tend to be dull power fantasies with little character what so ever.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 21, 2018 10:48 PM

Aug 2018
Isekai is the garbage that's destroying all creativity and uniqueness in the manga/ln/anime world.

Soon all new manga/ln will be a homogenized abomination of all the generic tropes plaguing isekai
Sep 21, 2018 11:03 PM

Oct 2012
_Ako_ said:
Nope. After episode 13 went down as the cringiest episode in anime history, none of the other complaints even matter anymore. The fact that every other character didn't laugh at Subaru every time they saw him after episode 13 is the biggest plot hole.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 21, 2018 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
what makes people hate fallacies so mcuh op
Sep 22, 2018 4:28 AM

Aug 2017
it's just been done to death and all seem the same
Sep 22, 2018 4:38 AM

Oct 2014
Moe_Blob said:
it's just been done to death and all seem the same

And yet in this entire thread with almost 200 replies up until now, not a single person could give me an example of "all the same" that went higher than 4 or maybe 5 shows at most. That's not "all seems same". The only thing people can provide examples for is the basic premise which is "transported into another world" - something redundant considering "isekai" literally translates to "another world".

Under this logic no one would be interested in fantasy because the vast majority of them have elves and dwarves and are therefore "totally the same thing". Yet I see no one complaining about regular fantasy being like that... strange that isekai is judged for its premise while other genres are judged for what comes after that, isn't it?
Sep 22, 2018 5:41 AM

Aug 2016
They seem to really enjoy using tired tropes for females with a Gary Stu main character around them. Even when there is an interesting concept hidden behind all that shit, it never becomes fully realized because of how the show wants to waste time with being what most people hate Isekai for being.

Maybe I just watched the bad ones.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Sep 22, 2018 5:56 AM

Aug 2017
Main characters from isekai tended to be more acceptable as long as they're not a teenage boy. For example: Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu had a better reception despite that is the same trash like any other generic isekai. This is a fact.
NurguburuSep 22, 2018 6:02 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 22, 2018 8:50 AM
Jun 2014
I think it's mostly because the genre was seen for 3 seasons in a row now and people just got annoyed that it was shown so much favoritism or popularity while there were other good shows they liked didn't get as much recognition because of the Isekai genre popularity took all the hype for the season when some of them weren't even that good.

They are good isekai and there some bad. It;s the same for any genre so anyone who hates isekai are people that are salty that their favorite genre wasn't popular, annoyed because of the over-hype or just doesn't like the genre as is.

The genre was just overused recently so was just pointing it out with their own view on it. No big deal. it'll die down next season since their doesn't seem to be any isekai anime
Sep 22, 2018 9:09 AM
Jul 2018
SAO is an isekai, just because the character doesn't phisically go into another world it doesn't mean it's different.
Sep 22, 2018 9:18 AM

Feb 2015
katsucats said:
_Ako_ said:
Nope. After episode 13 went down as the cringiest episode in anime history, none of the other complaints even matter anymore. The fact that every other character didn't laugh at Subaru every time they saw him after episode 13 is the biggest plot hole.

Can you kindly retell what happened to this plz. That's when Subaru was being a fucking Knight for Emilia right?
Sep 22, 2018 9:44 AM

Oct 2014
Reybun said:
SAO is an isekai, just because the character doesn't phisically go into another world it doesn't mean it's different.

No, SAO is not an isekai. You said it yourself, Kirito does NOT "go to another world", but rather links up to a virtual simulation within his own world.

Isekai literally means "another world". In other words, SAO is not an isekai. It's that easy.
Sep 22, 2018 10:40 AM

Aug 2018
glassknuckles said:

2. these are mostly transparent egoist power trip storylines, with a dude getting sex slave harems in Ragnarok and How not to summon a demon lord, ramping up to the level of the Japanese ethnostate as the JSDF slaughters indigenous fighters in GATE like a gang of British tommies with Maxim guns in Africa.
Re:Zero is better than average because it subverts the trope of the superman protagonist, and Subaru's not even very likeable (compared to the bland good guy Japanese teen boy cutouts the viewer is meant to self-insert with, I suppose).

Nothing wrong with "egoist power trips" or self insert MCs. It's fun. Do you not like fun?
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 3 )

arinthach - Apr 18

110 by bucciest »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you keep up with Anime Original Films?

Dragevard - Yesterday

11 by pk8list »»
19 minutes ago

» What are you watching right now?? ( 1 2 )

Nashiro18 - Apr 21

56 by kai_seven »»
21 minutes ago

» Which one would you prefer

JoeChip - 11 hours ago

17 by Venucurius »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

Dillq24 - Yesterday

23 by pk8list »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.