Forum Settings
Forums

What's the worst thing that could happen to anime?

New
May 8, 2018 2:45 PM

Jul 2016
I think it would be bad if they got rid of all the cliches.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2018 2:46 PM

Apr 2016
That it actually will start to be good for a change.
May 8, 2018 2:50 PM

Jul 2017
If it becomes assimilated by Western Concepts

I mean there are some western ideas that would be nice to see in anime, but if I wanted to watch Western ideas I'd just go watch some Western T.V
May 8, 2018 2:51 PM

Mar 2015
If every anime that came out was a battle harem/isekai, that'd be pretty bad.
woah there
May 8, 2018 2:53 PM

Jan 2015
existing is the worst thing for anime imo.
May 8, 2018 3:26 PM

Aug 2016
No sites to stream anime for free. That's a killer
May 8, 2018 4:06 PM

Jul 2017
They all get a collaboration special with Pop Team Epic.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

May 8, 2018 4:28 PM

Aug 2014
I guess the worst thing that could happen to anime is if it became illegal worldwide.
May 8, 2018 4:31 PM

Mar 2018
Short_Circut said:

I mean there are some western ideas that would be nice to see in anime, but if I wanted to watch Western ideas I'd just go watch some Western T.V

Seconded. We already have plenty of that crap, the last thing we need is more
May 8, 2018 4:39 PM
Jul 2018
Bfolls said:
Short_Circut said:

Seconded. We already have plenty of that crap, the last thing we need is more

+1 from me as well.
At least mainly. I think i can deal with most other things somehow but if this happened (to all anime) i'd most likely stop watching, or reduce the time i spend watching a lot.
May 8, 2018 4:41 PM
Mar 2018
MechKingKillbot said:
No sites to stream anime for free. That's a killer

but then again, i did pay 5 bucks for CR premium because HxH was amazing and I needed that shit in 1080p
May 8, 2018 4:42 PM

Sep 2015
isn't the fact that it's anime bad enough?_?
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
May 8, 2018 4:42 PM

Apr 2016
If SJWs and Feminists take it over and start complaining about women being objectified, "toxic masculinity" and make everyone black or gay because "muh diversity".

Btw I'm not racist or homophobic. Just a warning before anyone accuses me of that. And I also have nothing against diversity. I just don't like the SJW type of diversity.
Vlad4oMay 8, 2018 4:46 PM
May 8, 2018 4:48 PM

May 2009
IpreferEcchi said:
It could stop existing, I guess.

Short_Circut said:

What does "western concepts" even mean?

----

Meanwhile, though...are people being excessively paranoid about "what might happen to anime"?

I've seen these threads come up a number of times and it's basically like an excuse to complain about various vague categories of bogeymen, be they "western influence", "feminists"/"SJWs", "dub companies"/"Funimation"/etc., and sometimes also complaints about how the fandom is "cancer" and has no taste (or "shit taste") for creativity/originality/quality/"good writing"/"good animation"/etc..

It's especially funny when you get some people stridently defending their enjoyment of ecchi/harem/etc. tropes that are considered lowbrow and shadowboxing against "feminists" and "political correctness while doing so, and then other people railing against studios for making "unoriginal"/"cliche"/samey shows that keep on having these ecchi/harem/etc. tropes and also railing against fans for liking them and making original/innovative/envelope-pushing/genre-evolving/"good" shows commercially unviable.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 8, 2018 4:57 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 8, 2018 4:59 PM
Nov 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Short_Circut said:

----

Meanwhile, though...are people being excessively paranoid about "what might happen to anime"?

I've seen these threads come up a number of times and it's basically like an excuse to complain about various vague categories of bogeymen, be they "western influence", "feminists"/"SJWs", "dub companies"/"Funimation"/etc., and sometimes also complaints about how the fandom is "cancer" and has no taste (or "shit taste") for creativity/originality/quality/"good writing"/"good animation"/etc..

People have been paranoid about "what might happen to anime" for the past few years now. Nothing is gonna happen to anime (well at least in my opinion)

May 8, 2018 5:00 PM

Jul 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Short_Circut said:

----

I'm talking about aspects that are commonly found in Western televised media, like how the comedy has a more sarcastic tone or the generic laughing track B that plays every time there is a joke

I know 'concepts' isn't exactly the best word choice but I couldn't think of a proper word to generalize it lol (maybe influence?)

Mar 2017
The worst thing that can happen to animation is any single person, group, or ideal enforcing the one course of action they think is the best course such a diverse medium should take.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.

Oct 2017
Studious actually start caring about their non-Japanese audiences.

Aug 2013
anime no longer exists
or
anime still exists but there is no way to watch it here(both legally and illegally)
May 8, 2018 5:16 PM

Dec 2012
Aside from being shut down? I'd say either becoming completely mainstream or being heavily politicized. If anime became wholesale mainstream in the west, it would invite less than savory folk who would seek to change it to meet their ideal vision. As for politicization, it seems to ruin every form of entertainment that it touches. I don't want once fun SOL shows to become low hanging fruit about how dumb everyone thinks Trump is or some other pop culture reference that takes no wit or wile to conjure.

And just to clarify, anime with its own politics still works just fine. LOGH does an excellent job at building its own political structures while still prying at a grain of truth when applicable to the real world. That's far different from them just sending characters out to say "Hurr democracy is bad xDDD fascism is vundervul!"
ZekkenshinMay 8, 2018 5:20 PM
May 8, 2018 5:25 PM

Apr 2013
Imagine all the anime going on strike because they're tired of your shit.
May 8, 2018 5:26 PM

Apr 2017
IpreferEcchi said:

Everything is a cliche. You can't get rid of them
May 8, 2018 5:27 PM

Oct 2015
Vlad4o said:
If SJWs and Feminists take it over and start complaining about women being objectified, "toxic masculinity" and make everyone black or gay because "muh diversity".

Btw I'm not racist or homophobic. Just a warning before anyone accuses me of that. And I also have nothing against diversity. I just don't like the SJW type of diversity.

ah... yes... black and gays... the only diversity
May 8, 2018 5:33 PM

Mar 2018
It'd be bad if Kyoto Animation starts making more anime.
lol
May 8, 2018 6:47 PM

Oct 2017
What I don't like is when a MC either has no noticeable development through-out the course of the anime, is over-powered, or both.
I like to live every day like it's my last.....and by that, I mean lying in a puddle of my own urine, calling for the nurse to bring me more pudding.
May 8, 2018 6:59 PM

May 2009
Short_Circut said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I'm talking about aspects that are commonly found in Western televised media, like how the comedy has a more sarcastic tone or the generic laughing track B that plays every time there is a joke

I know 'concepts' isn't exactly the best word choice but I couldn't think of a proper word to generalize it lol (maybe influence?)
Okay, you're talking about tropes like those, gotcha. And fair enough. Though that one is rather specific to western sitcoms. Though I guess every culture has its distinctive weird things, like how Latin-American TV has telenovelas, and Japanese TV has weirdo game shows.

I think I've seen sarcastic comedy in anime before, though yeah I guess it's uncommon.
May 8, 2018 7:45 PM

Nov 2017
If there were no more pretty waifus :-(
May 8, 2018 8:11 PM

Dec 2008
If the japanese decided to say "Fuck anime" and stopped making it.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 8, 2018 9:14 PM

Oct 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:
IpreferEcchi said:

Short_Circut said:

----

It's especially funny when you get some people stridently defending their enjoyment of ecchi/harem/etc. tropes that are considered lowbrow and shadowboxing against "feminists" and "political correctness while doing so, and then other people railing against studios for making "unoriginal"/"cliche"/samey shows that keep on having these ecchi/harem/etc. tropes and also railing against fans for liking them and making original/innovative/envelope-pushing/genre-evolving/"good" shows commercially unviable.

The funny thing is that Western Media is not Ruined yet and yet they think it is.
The west is still making good shows and Movies.
And they act like the Western censorship is the only bad kind of censorship but find Japanese censorship a-ok.

Truly the worst that can happen is that the industry will crash or the the Resources will be spread so thin that only more garbage animation will be coming.
May 8, 2018 9:18 PM

May 2017
getting too politically correct to the point where the slice of life/shounen anime would be reduced to sitcom clichés found on American TV

that would be dangerous
May 8, 2018 9:19 PM

Jan 2008
They all become the crap that Berserk has become.
May 8, 2018 9:21 PM

Jul 2016
well imouto genre is already a thing
May 8, 2018 9:31 PM
Jul 2018
Paul said:

This x100. If every anime had that artwork... oh boy.
May 8, 2018 9:35 PM

Feb 2018
Arimias said:
Paul said:

This x100. If every anime had that artwork... oh boy.

Yea this is almost my worst anime nightmare.
May 8, 2018 9:38 PM
Sep 2011
As far as possibilities that seem at least plausible, going full harem across all genres would be a nightmare scenario. Thankfully, we're only about 50%ish of the way there.

Other than that, if LN/manga/anime creators became meme-aware and meme-obsessed, that would be DEFCON 1 level shit.
May 8, 2018 10:58 PM

May 2009
albertbrown said:
getting too politically correct to the point where the slice of life/shounen anime would be reduced to sitcom clichés found on American TV

that would be dangerous
To be fair, the usual criticism of slice-of-life and shounen is that both are dominated by clichés -- just a different set of them, and they're unrelated to "political correctness" anyway.
May 8, 2018 11:25 PM

Apr 2011
Worst thing I could think of is the west becoming the primary target audience. If we’re going in that direction then U.S. studios should just start making their own original content and leave the Japanese studios alone with their moe stuff.
May 8, 2018 11:58 PM
Dec 2016
I think the worst thing would be for the main characters to be killed off every few seasons until they get replaced by a whole new set of characters who try to act like the old ones but we all know just isnt the same.
May 9, 2018 1:40 AM
Aug 2016
If Berserk 2018 were to exist, everyone would be very happy.
May 9, 2018 1:44 AM
Apr 2018
Anime overrun with fujoshi fans/sexist shoujo, josei, reverse harem, Yaoi shows
May 9, 2018 4:00 AM
Dec 2013
3D CGI and flash animation becoming the norm because of them being faster, cheaper and easier to produce than hand-drawn animation, and hand-drawn animation becoming obsolete because of it.
wildhoodMay 9, 2018 4:06 AM
May 9, 2018 4:01 AM

May 2017
IpreferEcchi said:

lol i don't know why but i think dat too
May 9, 2018 4:06 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
1. Listening to SJWs, PCfags, moralfags, feminazis and white knights

2. Appealing more to the west in general
May 9, 2018 4:15 AM

Sep 2017
If the anime ends too early or if they stop making anime.
May 9, 2018 4:23 AM

Sep 2011
Let's see, I guess my answer would be when all anime are isekai setting.

May 9, 2018 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
Going full cheap 3d as I saw some people here suggest. Japan's 3d is 15 years behind, except theyr big videogame companies. :s

Phantomhive said:
Vlad4o said:

ah... yes... black and gays... the only diversity

Shhhh he's not racist or homophobic...
May 9, 2018 4:26 AM
Sep 2016
Another overhyped generic action shounen like MHA showing up.
No more please
1.1.Six
May 9, 2018 4:35 AM

Nov 2011
New animators could stop coming into the industry due to lack of pay and gross overwork, forcing almost the entirety of animation to be outsourced to other countries, lowering the general visual quality of the medium and hurting sales enough to force the industry into a collapse that leaves only a small percentage of the original studios who then have to play their hands much more conservatively to ensure their survival.
May 9, 2018 5:10 AM

Sep 2014
becoming infested with western political correctness shit.

Also I dont know if its gonna be good or bad when anime becomes more popular = makes more money on its own (so not beeing just manga teasers) = more trash anime coming out = it will be harder to filter out trash. But maybe thats not gonna happen for another 20 years
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 11, 2018 5:28 PM
Jan 2009
For copyright and trademark rights holders, when an anime lapses all those rights permanently and becomes public domain. With this, I am talking about when any derivative version becomes public domain in both Japan and the U.S.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

95 by Vampire_Lord »»
33 seconds ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

37 by MogKnight »»
9 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

115 by Toha »»
21 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

17 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
27 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.