Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2016 6:12 AM

Jun 2010
A disastrously ill conceived and out of place/character end to an otherwise pretty good series.

I'm not going to go into detail. But I have to say... It's not often that you come across such a high quality series and story that gets it's ending so incredibly wrong.. such as to totally shred and ruin it's entire narrative, tone, theme and message simultaneously. With one twist that manages upend and undercut everything the series was building. All done with the grace of an elephant, and subtlety of hitting a brick wall in a place where none should be.

The term that best describes it is: 'Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.' By means of one of the most unsuitably/unseemly contrived use of an appeal of emotion ever seen. It was basically a senseless last minute attempt at a forced (emotional) narrative, in place of a well planed or thought out one. An emotional "OMG," masquerading as depth or epicness of story.

It (the ending) alone was enough to leave a really bad taste in my mouth and pretty much ruin the whole series for me. was just so jarringly out of place and out of character.

Sorry about the near rant/incoherence of this.. It's 9am at the time i'm writing this and i haven't been to sleep yet. -_-'
Oct 31, 2016 1:16 AM
Jan 2015
for the comedy and action , I would have said I prefer the first arc , but the second arc bring more the sense of uneasiness ,drama ,plot and many developments that were also pretty important for the story

easily between 8 or 9 , but I would give it 9 for such a great anime despite the cliche things .
Nov 9, 2016 9:10 PM

Mar 2016
It got way too over-the-top in the last few, which I don't feel very confortable with, but the rest was very well done.

Gurren Lagann is an overall good show. It's the perfect definition of junk food: not very deep or thought-provoking, but has good characters and great everything else to make so it doesn't really matter.

Recommended. :)
Nov 10, 2016 1:57 AM

Mar 2014
fthousand said:
not very deep or thought-provoking

You just haven't dived down deep enough, or thought about it hard enough.
Nov 10, 2016 2:22 AM

Mar 2010
ziggy_Z said:
fthousand said:
not very deep or thought-provoking

You just haven't dived down deep enough, or thought about it hard enough.

Correct. Once you look past the insanity and over-the-topness of it, you will find very deep and thought-provoking ideas hidden under the ridiculous nature of the show that makes it look totally not serious. If you finished Gurren Lagann and find it not to be "deep or thought-provoking", do yourself a favor and research it a bit, because you still don't know how amazing it is. I went on a huge wall of text why Rossiu Adai is my favorite Gurren Lagann character in another thread.

Nov 16, 2016 3:15 AM

Apr 2014
The ending is kinda.... heartbreaking.

Overall this anime is fucking masterpiece.

10/10 that's all.
Nov 18, 2016 12:37 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It passes the rewatch and test of time with flying colours and above. What a friggin awesome ride. Gurren Lagann exemplifies some of the very best traits of anime.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 28, 2016 6:52 PM

Jan 2013
Nia dying was bound to happen, it was already shown when they got together in the cockpit of Gurren Lagan.
Cool seeing the epilogue though, again so much that has changed regarding technology.

It was a fun ride for sure but I expected a little bit more judging from the amount of hype and how well received it is.
Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely REALLY enjoyable, the fights were cool, the characters had a lot of fight in them, the music was a plus for sure.

Shame Yoko didn't have as much airtime as I would've liked.
I think Simon could've ended up with Yoko in the end to be fair but I guess that's a little too much to ask.

It was a ridiculous ride from the start but that's what made it so enjoyable to me.

9/10
Dec 29, 2016 5:28 PM

Dec 2016
Wow great finale deem feels :'(

As for the whole show 9/10 really good stuff!
just a little over the top, but great none the less...
Dec 31, 2016 5:39 PM

Feb 2016
Amazing show with cool characters, superb animations and amazing music.
SilentSword114Jan 3, 2017 10:39 AM
Jan 1, 2017 4:09 AM
Dec 2016
What the hell with the ending made my heart scattered .The whole ending for the hero and the 3main character was sad very sad....*^* but the anime was a masterpiece
Jan 3, 2017 12:55 PM

Jun 2016
Just finished. By no means I can call it a "masterpiece". Series is overrated but not bad, 7/10. A lot of stuff makes no sense, Anti Spiral is beaten by plot sword, etc... overall it's good for what it is. I liked the fact many "important" characters died. Because of that I liked anime more.

So I have an idea about ending. What if anti spiral won? What if Simon and others didn't really break out of labyrinth, but instead they thought they did? It's the ending I think is best. So all the stuff was illusion and actually they lost to anti spiral. Imagine, they think they won, but in reality, Anti Spiral laughs at them while they live in perfect illusion.
DeusJan 3, 2017 1:05 PM
Jan 8, 2017 5:39 PM

Feb 2016
Deus said:
Just finished. By no means I can call it a "masterpiece". Series is overrated but not bad, 7/10. A lot of stuff makes no sense, Anti Spiral is beaten by plot sword, etc... overall it's good for what it is. I liked the fact many "important" characters died. Because of that I liked anime more.

So I have an idea about ending. What if anti spiral won? What if Simon and others didn't really break out of labyrinth, but instead they thought they did? It's the ending I think is best. So all the stuff was illusion and actually they lost to anti spiral. Imagine, they think they won, but in reality, Anti Spiral laughs at them while they live in perfect illusion.

Shiiiieeeet. Inception all over again, the main characters doesn't care anymore because they are in bliss, so they don't even try to concentrate to keep the top spinning. A flawless narrative that contrives all these 'tests and trials' to get a 100% success rate of rehabilitation. Anti spirals could wipe out every spiral species but they may have a conscience somewhat like the matrix.
Cloud_IllusionsJan 8, 2017 5:45 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 3, 2017 12:05 PM

Oct 2013
The ending was such a blast, i mean literally, but seriously tho why simon just walked away like that after saving the entire universe ? he deserves os much more in his live more than he could imagine, at least pair him up with someone and i actually ship Simon x Yoko, after Nia disappeared i thought Simon would end up with Yoko but nope, idk why the creator would go for the biittersweet ending, i'm not tryne compare Gurren Lagan with Code Geass but it'd be better if the sensei made the ending up to us "the you decide the ending" kinda thing, makes it even mysterious, but well nevertheless it's still an enjoyable series.

Strong development on each character, once enemies now friends, once a weak kid who depends on his big brother now became the hero of Universe. Props to the author who killed an important character (Kamina) to develop another character (Simon). Definitely one of the best mecha / sci-fi anime after Code Geass.

Overall score 9/10, could've been better but the ending was such a bummer
Feb 3, 2017 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
Mattimand said:
FUCK. DAMMIT. NOOO.

I am actually starting to like Nia just a bit. I still want an alternate setting where Simon and Yoko find together. They'd be a much better match in my honest opinion. Here's why…

Well sum up from spoiler above:

When Kamina is dead. And Simon has feelings for Yoko.
WHY THE FUCK INTRODUCE A NEW CHARACTER WITH THE ONLY PURPOSE TO STEAL SIMON FROM YOKO???

Please. If any one shared my opinion about Nia x Simon romance was too random, and Simon x Yoko romance was missed, please, PLEASE, do hit me up.

But anyway. Very good series.
Very good = 8/10 (for now, I tend to change opinion over time)

Believe me you're not the only one, i don't really hate bittersweet ending but this one could've been better because i think it has so much potential for different ending, i bet the author had so much fun toying with our emotion... i actually ship Simon x Yoko but sadly the they won't let the ship set sail.... icrieveritiem
Mar 1, 2017 5:33 AM

Feb 2016
Definitely one of the most impactful series out there. I wish the characters were fleshed out more and it wouldve been so much better but the awesomeness was stil undeniable.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Apr 5, 2017 9:07 PM

Jun 2012
Well hello there new favorite show and a welcome addition to my 10/10 slot. Not sure if it'll stay there forever, but this was such a rush.

This was the first mech show I decided to try after having not enjoyed the genre much since the old gundam toonami days, but damn am I a sucker for the human spirit and camaraderie pushing people to new heights. And I did end up enjoying the mechs a lot more than I expected as well. Scenes like after Lordgenome sacrificed himself to power up the TTGL, when the spiral meter shattered due to the sheer power intake, you knew something awesome was about to happen.

Also I just love how much personality the show has, and how much attention to detail it gives. You can't mistake these characters for any others, and scenes like where Yoko's hairpin sometimes mirrors her own actions or mood add more layers of enjoyment to this.

All in all, an amazing show.
Apr 11, 2017 4:02 PM

Aug 2014
Oh darn, so even by the end of it all, Simon's happy end is denied. Losing his bro and his waifu, he never gets a break ;_; But goddamn was this final episode amazing as freaking hell, and Genome even sacrifices himself to save the universe...what an amazing show, 8/10.
Apr 14, 2017 12:07 AM

Jan 2017
I tried to give it a second chance and I take back anything negative I have said about this show.
First half was kinda mediocre but after Simon overcame his depression and the timeskip happened, it was pure manliness.
Definetely an unforgettable show and when the last 3- 4 episodes didn't give you massive goosebumps then nothing will. First time that my opinion over a show changed so drastically. Hopefully the movie is just as good.
May 3, 2017 11:11 PM
Dec 2015
WTH!!! Loved the episode and the climax but what was with that ending??? They go through all that, all that fighting and all the losses to get Nia back and they finally get married and she disappears. AAAHHHHH!!!! I have mixed feelings about the last episode because of that. With as crazy as this anime was I could see her being born from a spiral soldier she had spiral power herself and she was able to live freely without the risk of vanishing. Hate that she disappeared after all that.

The time skip after was interesting to see all the characters grown even more.
Jun 5, 2017 3:28 AM
Feb 2017
Why nia she is die ??? 😭😭
Jun 23, 2017 2:09 PM

Sep 2014
Oh my god I totally forgot about the ending! True Nia vanished and yoko and simon ended up alone. Woah.
I somehow liked it more when I watched it the first time I guess, but its still awesome. Like THE most awesome anime ever. Personally rated this "only" 9/10 and I think it fits, after all not everything was perfect in the first half. Also there are like only 2 OSTs worth to remember. Not that the OST overall was bad, it was really good. But not outstanding.

I still think yoko and simon should have ended up together. Or atleast lived together. Yoko suddenly liking kittan was a weak point for me. He was just a kamina replacement (I think he realised this himself) while simon grew bigger then his bro. So yokoXsimon would have been nice. Its just sad that Nia had to vanish.
I really miss the time when anime originals like this where a thing. Now everything is just to promote the source (or it sucks)

That beeing said TTGL could have been better. Characters could have had more developement. Sidecharacters could have been something more the names and jokes. But all this fades because galaxy sized mecha fight.

I actually wanted to watch the Lagann movie but ended up watching the whole series. Lol

PS: Kamina was really an outstanding character. He became so insanely memorable in just 8 episodes. I have the feeling this right here is what most anime try to achieve.
Comander-07Jun 23, 2017 2:16 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 25, 2017 5:15 PM

Nov 2016
Bruh..I'm at loss for words, that was beyond amazing.

The first 3 minutes alone with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann were enough for me to jizz my pants.

The fight afterwards was top notch too, didn't know that mecha fights could be this epic.

Lord Genomes sacrifice and the moment the opening kicked in followed by Simons speech , that was way too much to handle GOD DAMMIT.

And if this wasn't enough this episode concluded with the most bittersweet wedding ever and another time skip.

Overall an unforgetable ride,10/10 I can't give anything less, of course not perfect but truly a masterpiece and it became instantly one of my top favorite shows.
FMmatronJun 25, 2017 5:37 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 4, 2017 7:41 AM
Dec 2016
Im ten years too late for this post. But rewatched this anime again. I kind of felt that Yoko got screwed over the most in this anime.

P.s. Leeron, apparently, doesn't age.
Jul 6, 2017 7:53 PM

Dec 2016
Wonderful, fantastic and powerfully emotional series.

This was a pure joy to watch from start to finish.

There was definitely a tear in my eye when Nia disappeared, great to see those 2 get married before that happened.

I really liked the quick time skip to see what everyone was doing in the future.
Jul 6, 2017 8:11 PM

Sep 2010
So I re-watched this because of the 10 year anniversary and all and I have to say a second go around really has me upping my score. Enjoyed this much more after a rewatch
Jul 13, 2017 1:31 AM

May 2016
As if seeing Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann itself wasn't overwhelming enough, they added in the first opening to give me intense shivers but that moment when the climax of the song blasted along with Lordgenome's sacrifice and the final blow was what almost made me well up manly tears.

Despite Super Galaxy just being roughly the size of the Earth, they were throwing around and jumping on galaxies but I guess it makes sense in context since literally anything can happen there lol

I asked for a gaping hole in that black puddle and I got it but I didn't know that Nia would go away too... She looked absolutely beautiful and her final moments were bittersweet af

Man, most of the crew are in mid-40's and they look really old especially Rossiu lmao Make-up really did Leeron wonders since he didn't age at all xD I wanted to see Annie grown up (Dayakka's daughter). Simon ending up being a vagabond was a bit different from what I expected back at the show's first minutes...

Overall I loved the series, the second half especially. 9~

Jul 28, 2017 11:11 PM

Aug 2014
One of a kind, with the right amount of everything in it. The plot, characters, soundtrack, artwork.......so unique and amazing. Great watch that I feel ashamed for skipping over for so long. FIGHTTTTT THE POWAAAAA!!!!!
Sep 3, 2017 12:54 AM

Jul 2017
Upsets me most yoko gets it bad with losing two lovers
Oct 6, 2017 6:30 PM

Jan 2015
This episode was great but...
How can anyone give this a 10? There are so many flaws and absurds through the entire anime...
Oct 17, 2017 2:12 AM

Aug 2014
DeathProxy said:
How can anyone give this a 10? There are so many flaws and absurds through the entire anime...

I dont think its not about flaws.
Every anime had flaws.

Its about the moral of the story.
Its about the story it trying to tell.
Its not like you could find the same duplicate in the future.

Simply put if you keep on the negative side of the anime you'll never start to appreciate what studio made.
Though i wont say you should appreciate every single anime they made if its a crap.

At least it has a conclusion right?
Though i wanted to see Nia to live on have a children with Simon after all the crap they have been through and People who sacrificed themself in the story, i would give it 10/10 though i already did but its not exactly a masterpiece even its a 10 out of 10 score.

Its kinda sad to think that every ending might be not a happy one.
Oct 24, 2017 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
What a beautiful and stunning series.
Dec 22, 2017 9:06 AM

Dec 2012
This episode so perfectly taps into the theme of human potential and how our will is an infinite source of inspiration. Beyond the stars, the universe and the heavens, our willpower is the greatest force in existence. In the years since I first saw this, I've come to believe in and truly appreciate that human spirit.

I also really like what Simon says about how out of the infinite possibilities, they chose the one they could be proud of. That deeply resonates with me because I'm very indecisive and often question the what-ifs of missed opportunities. This has definitely made me approach it from a new angle and I hope to live by that creed more often.

My God (not you, Simon), that was completely worth the re-watch. Whatever reservations I had about TTGL years ago have been diminished by the epic start to finish experience that pierced through all possibility. Changing my score from a 9 to a 10.
ZekkenshinDec 22, 2017 9:10 AM
Jan 17, 2018 10:55 PM

Dec 2014

THIS IS A TALE OF A GUY FIGHTING HIS OWN DESTINY WITH EPICNESS!

I just finished rewatch this series and the feelings are more got impact for me right now. Definitely add it to my timeless favourite anime series.
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Jan 23, 2018 4:11 PM

Dec 2009
That was fucking fantastic.
Jan 26, 2018 6:38 PM

Aug 2014
Well, that was a rollercoaster. It was awesome from to finish, and this final episode did everything right. 10/10
Feb 2, 2018 4:50 PM
Jan 2017
I thought this was a good anime. admittingly this got pretty confusing once they took this into space, but it was fun. I would give this finale like a 8/10 just because I cant believed Nia had to leave, i mean i understand it but still. Not to mention I Loved the final battle scene and I cant believe it, but it seems the South Park: The Fractured But Whole made a reference from this episode. "We advance a lil with every turn, thats how a drill works"
Feb 6, 2018 6:17 AM
Apr 2016
Meh all around. 5/10 overall anime.

I really don't understand this hype at all, the show is way too absurd for it's own good. I noticed it in episode 1, but it really hits home here where they literally smash galaxies together and throw it at each other. I mean, if the spiral nemesis is about every life creating a galaxy blah blah suddenly death of the universe, how can they just create a god-damned big bang just to attack someone???

The music was alright, but was extremely overused. The visuals were ok too, but it was extremely absurd, especially some of the really strange character designs.

Story is average, I did like how they killed off Kamina and really grew Simon from a wimpy kid into Kamina himself but with Simon characteristics. Kamina is still a huge jerk though. Nia ended up being more plot device than character herself, same with Lordgenome becoming a literal information dispenser. Also, Viral wasn't a very good chronologist instead helping Simon with everything. Yoko was designed for fan-service, but it was nice to flesh out her character and show that she can move on from her love interests' deaths. The other characters didn't really grow much and I didn't really care about any of them because of how over the top it all is.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Feb 20, 2018 1:21 PM

Feb 2018
Blue_Pie_Ninja said:

I really don't understand this hype at all, the show is way too absurd for it's own good. I noticed it in episode 1, but it really hits home here where they literally smash galaxies together and throw it at each other. I mean, if the spiral nemesis is about every life creating a galaxy blah blah suddenly death of the universe, how can they just create a god-damned big bang just to attack someone???

The music was alright, but was extremely overused. The visuals were ok too, but it was extremely absurd, especially some of the really strange character designs.

Story is average, I did like how they killed off Kamina and really grew Simon from a wimpy kid into Kamina himself but with Simon characteristics. Kamina is still a huge jerk though. Nia ended up being more plot device than character herself, same with Lordgenome becoming a literal information dispenser. Also, Viral wasn't a very good chronologist instead helping Simon with everything. Yoko was designed for fan-service, but it was nice to flesh out her character and show that she can move on from her love interests' deaths. The other characters didn't really grow much and I didn't really care about any of them because of how over the top it all is.

^Mostly agree with the above, a generous 6/10 from me. Imo the hype is well undeserved, pre-time skip part is a snooze fest except maybe for 2 episodes, and the story does pick up a bit after the skip, but still too much fan service, too many cheesy dialogues, 0 logic, pretty uninteresting storyline, etc. Simon becoming Kamina #2 also wasn't very imaginative.

Blue pie ninja covered well my thoughts on the absurdity.

Just because something is extreme and over the top doesn't make it epic at all.
Feb 26, 2018 10:54 PM
Oct 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Blue_Pie_Ninja said:

^Mostly agree with the above, a generous 6/10 from me. Imo the hype is well undeserved, pre-time skip part is a snooze fest except maybe for 2 episodes, and the story does pick up a bit after the skip, but still too much fan service, too many cheesy dialogues, 0 logic, pretty uninteresting storyline, etc. Simon becoming Kamina #2 also wasn't very imaginative.

Blue pie ninja covered well my thoughts on the absurdity.

Just because something is extreme and over the top doesn't make it epic at all.

Actually, I somewhat go against that, I understand where you stand though hear me out.

My argument is with Simon being Kamina #2, rather I think he's more of a best of both worlds on how Nia and Kamina think. While Kamina was about being manly and being reckless but in the name of doing what you want while Nia was more about taking a step back and you need to stay alive. While combining both of these aspects together, Simon was able to grow up as both Kamina and Nia served as what drove Simon's development. Simon became a well-rounded individual in terms that he cared for survival but also not being afraid.

Also, argument #2. Character designs. What do you mean by weird, rather I think they are almost perfect. Their design is easy to identify, even when they are chaos running on the screen, simple to animate, while also flexible. In order to do this, they had to cut down on details and so without going too crazy on details, characters are given a unique body type while also giving them a special accessory that can be easily identified. Every character is certainly not equally memorable or appealing but every one of them has a unique design which communicates their personalities. Also, most characters undergo a clothing change that signifies a change in their characters and current place in the story.
Also, the visuals were meant to be crazy, they were fighting in giant robots, in space, fighting monster creature things.....come on...did you think it would not be crazy? This is a pretty silly show and it is obviously meant to have absurd animation. And the Anti-spiral ships are meant to reflect the anti-spirals uncomprehensible nature that is meant to look nothing like the rest of the show or really strange ships that are out beyond the reaches of time and space.

I agree with Lorgenome being an info dispense and that being dumb though even though Nia has become more of a plot device, she still stood as a good emotional anchor and driving point for Simons development, thus it allowed him to pierce the heavens and go beyond the stars.
Yes, the time skip was somewhat boring but it also brought about very valuable world building and introduced the many new aspects. Also, it showed how each character has matured and grown. Without it, many mature aspects of Gurren Lagann would be lost.

Also, I disagree, I think almost every main character undergoes some kind of big evolution through the whole series, not just because of the time skip. Ex: Kamina from being a normal teenage ruffian into a brave and inspiring leader.

So I give it an 8/10. I totally get where you stand and agree with some but I hope I am not sounding like an annoying fan that any bad word about their favorite anime will set of a war. Maybe, just maybe, you'll see Gurren Lagann in a new light. It really isn't just a silly show as it brings a lot of subjects in consideration when dwelling deep into the story, just ignore some of the crazy stuff. Thanks for getting through it and I would love to talk and debate it more if you want!
RanWingedFeb 26, 2018 11:10 PM
Feb 27, 2018 1:43 AM

Feb 2018
Fire13rin said:

Actually, I somewhat go against that, I understand where you stand though hear me out.

My argument is with Simon being Kamina #2, rather I think he's more of a best of both worlds on how Nia and Kamina think. While Kamina was about being manly and being reckless but in the name of doing what you want while Nia was more about taking a step back and you need to stay alive. While combining both of these aspects together, Simon was able to grow up as both Kamina and Nia served as what drove Simon's development. Simon became a well-rounded individual in terms that he cared for survival but also not being afraid.

Also, argument #2. Character designs. What do you mean by weird, rather I think they are almost perfect. Their design is easy to identify, even when they are chaos running on the screen, simple to animate, while also flexible. In order to do this, they had to cut down on details and so without going too crazy on details, characters are given a unique body type while also giving them a special accessory that can be easily identified. Every character is certainly not equally memorable or appealing but every one of them has a unique design which communicates their personalities. Also, most characters undergo a clothing change that signifies a change in their characters and current place in the story.
Also, the visuals were meant to be crazy, they were fighting in giant robots, in space, fighting monster creature things.....come on...did you think it would not be crazy? This is a pretty silly show and it is obviously meant to have absurd animation. And the Anti-spiral ships are meant to reflect the anti-spirals uncomprehensible nature that is meant to look nothing like the rest of the show or really strange ships that are out beyond the reaches of time and space.

I agree with Lorgenome being an info dispense and that being dumb though even though Nia has become more of a plot device, she still stood as a good emotional anchor and driving point for Simons development, thus it allowed him to pierce the heavens and go beyond the stars.
Yes, the time skip was somewhat boring but it also brought about very valuable world building and introduced the many new aspects. Also, it showed how each character has matured and grown. Without it, many mature aspects of Gurren Lagann would be lost.

Also, I disagree, I think almost every main character undergoes some kind of big evolution through the whole series, not just because of the time skip. Ex: Kamina from being a normal teenage ruffian into a brave and inspiring leader.

So I give it an 8/10. I totally get where you stand and agree with some but I hope I am not sounding like an annoying fan that any bad word about their favorite anime will set of a war. Maybe, just maybe, you'll see Gurren Lagann in a new light. It really isn't just a silly show as it brings a lot of subjects in consideration when dwelling deep into the story, just ignore some of the crazy stuff. Thanks for getting through it and I would love to talk and debate it more if you want!

Kamina was, imo, the best character, and the best developed one in series, maybe the one thing TTGL did right, and i wouldn't say he made a big trasformation/evolution, i would rather say that he was always a brave and inspiring leader, but under right circumstances (being on the surface in a war) he had the opportunity to shine and show his virtues.

On the other hand, Simon's transformation simply isn't believable enough for me, he goes on the completely polar opposite end - from a whiny kid (who is able to pull through when needed, though) to a fearless character who rushes headlong, while shouting.

Also, you misunderstood me, i said that the series before the time skip was pretty boring, not that I had a problem with the skip itself.

All in all, i simply didn't find the show enjoyable, and didn't really see much of a point in it. Except Kamina, all the characters are simply forgettable, and the story followed the formula: It's strong-we are together-we beat it; This one is bigger-we get bigger-we beat it.

If you could shed some light on what the deep subjects behind the story are, maybe i would appreciate it more, because now, I simply don't see it.
Feb 28, 2018 2:12 PM
Oct 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Fire13rin said:

Kamina was, imo, the best character, and the best developed one in series, maybe the one thing TTGL did right, and i wouldn't say he made a big trasformation/evolution, i would rather say that he was always a brave and inspiring leader, but under right circumstances (being on the surface in a war) he had the opportunity to shine and show his virtues.

On the other hand, Simon's transformation simply isn't believable enough for me, he goes on the completely polar opposite end - from a whiny kid (who is able to pull through when needed, though) to a fearless character who rushes headlong, while shouting.

Also, you misunderstood me, i said that the series before the time skip was pretty boring, not that I had a problem with the skip itself.

All in all, i simply didn't find the show enjoyable, and didn't really see much of a point in it. Except Kamina, all the characters are simply forgettable, and the story followed the formula: It's strong-we are together-we beat it; This one is bigger-we get bigger-we beat it.

If you could shed some light on what the deep subjects behind the story are, maybe i would appreciate it more, because now, I simply don't see it.

I agree though I think he went from being crazy reckless and more into a leader after finding his father's skeleton.

It does seem unbelievable though it does have times where he obviously put his survival first, like when he pulled back from fighting the anti-spiral ships after he defeated the first.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks for clearing it up. I definitely

get where you are coming from and I am deeply enjoying the conversation as I personally love debates.

The meaning of the story was not really It's strong-we are together-we beat it; This one is bigger-we get bigger-we beat it, but I can see why you would say that. Some of the story outline and the formula is the first half before the time skip is Simon coming to age while the second half, after the time skip is Simon's journey of being an adult and living in a less than ideal world. The moral is that becoming an adult is not the final of one's evolution but rather someone can truly finish their journey is when having created their ideal future and done all they could have. This is shown especially at the ending when Simon is around, 40.
These themes are set to show the spiral motif that is basically everywhere in the story, not as just a plot device but also it explains the structure of the story. Almost every episode is that of someone yelling their belief and goal and once reaching that, then going the next step further just like how a spiral always expands, so does Gurren Lagann's narrative. From a small hole underground to the galaxy, the everso expansion of the spiral is that of how we should always make progress and keep preserving on against all odds.

The deeper and mature stuff starts around episode 8 and on. When Kamina dies, the show takes an obvious turn, everything seems more depressing. The plot becomes more dreary and stalls for a bit, heavily focussing on how Simon was feeling. This was not pointless, it was supposed to make the view truly understand what Simon was feeling and communicating its ideas with coping with a tragic. Simon was soo devastated because Kamina was literally Simon's whole world. So when he was gone, Simon could not find his place and soo constantly tried to act like Kamina, thus Nia comes in who is the only character who did no compare Simon and Kamina and saw Simon's strength. And so he learns to cope with Kamina being gone and dead, instead of trying to act like Kamina, he empowers himself with the memory of Kamina, he embodies the lessons and aspects of Kamina to help him through many struggles. This is an amazing evolution that many brush off as they focus on the overall idea. Gurren Lagann showed a healthy and good way of coping with death, it's not unrealistic nor cringy.
Studio Gainax decided to tackle the idea of sociopolitics and not one that can be seen in many anime today. This is a subplot and genre that is often easily brushed off. The shows the struggle of not just the people but for Simon and Roosiu. So Rossiu's betrayal left many angry but the meaning was deep. Simon who was one of the leaders acted with his heart while Roosiu was more cold and practical. Simon is someone who is not suited for political leadership and so trying to be a leader but also stay with his morals. So when Simon messed up, the public got pissed which made Roosiu panic and use Simon as a scapegoat, to arrest and kill him. This was a hard decision which he had no one really to role model for and he himself was personally against. In Gurren Lagann world, this would have been dumb and horrible but in our's this would have been smart. While Rossiu was a realist living an ideal world like he is the opposite of an idealist living and a brutal world. So because of the fact that society was a new thing for everyone and so it also was in a world with looser boundaries than areas, so seeing how the post time skip city function is something fascinating. It showed how a tiny variable of alterations can change our way of how we view how society works. It was a very real direction the story went in.

When putting aside the crazy and silliness of the show you can find interesting topics like coping with death, sociopolitics, self-growth, and discovery.

I am not sure you will find them as something deep, but I sure did. Anyways, what do you think?
Mar 1, 2018 12:10 PM

Feb 2018
Fire13rin said:

I agree though I think he went from being crazy reckless and more into a leader after finding his father's skeleton.

It does seem unbelievable though it does have times where he obviously put his survival first, like when he pulled back from fighting the anti-spiral ships after he defeated the first.

get where you are coming from and I am deeply enjoying the conversation as I personally love debates.

The meaning of the story was not really It's strong-we are together-we beat it; This one is bigger-we get bigger-we beat it, but I can see why you would say that. Some of the story outline and the formula is the first half before the time skip is Simon coming to age while the second half, after the time skip is Simon's journey of being an adult and living in a less than ideal world. The moral is that becoming an adult is not the final of one's evolution but rather someone can truly finish their journey is when having created their ideal future and done all they could have. This is shown especially at the ending when Simon is around, 40.
These themes are set to show the spiral motif that is basically everywhere in the story, not as just a plot device but also it explains the structure of the story. Almost every episode is that of someone yelling their belief and goal and once reaching that, then going the next step further just like how a spiral always expands, so does Gurren Lagann's narrative. From a small hole underground to the galaxy, the everso expansion of the spiral is that of how we should always make progress and keep preserving on against all odds.

The deeper and mature stuff starts around episode 8 and on. When Kamina dies, the show takes an obvious turn, everything seems more depressing. The plot becomes more dreary and stalls for a bit, heavily focussing on how Simon was feeling. This was not pointless, it was supposed to make the view truly understand what Simon was feeling and communicating its ideas with coping with a tragic. Simon was soo devastated because Kamina was literally Simon's whole world. So when he was gone, Simon could not find his place and soo constantly tried to act like Kamina, thus Nia comes in who is the only character who did no compare Simon and Kamina and saw Simon's strength. And so he learns to cope with Kamina being gone and dead, instead of trying to act like Kamina, he empowers himself with the memory of Kamina, he embodies the lessons and aspects of Kamina to help him through many struggles. This is an amazing evolution that many brush off as they focus on the overall idea. Gurren Lagann showed a healthy and good way of coping with death, it's not unrealistic nor cringy.
Studio Gainax decided to tackle the idea of sociopolitics and not one that can be seen in many anime today. This is a subplot and genre that is often easily brushed off. The shows the struggle of not just the people but for Simon and Roosiu. So Rossiu's betrayal left many angry but the meaning was deep. Simon who was one of the leaders acted with his heart while Roosiu was more cold and practical. Simon is someone who is not suited for political leadership and so trying to be a leader but also stay with his morals. So when Simon messed up, the public got pissed which made Roosiu panic and use Simon as a scapegoat, to arrest and kill him. This was a hard decision which he had no one really to role model for and he himself was personally against. In Gurren Lagann world, this would have been dumb and horrible but in our's this would have been smart. While Rossiu was a realist living an ideal world like he is the opposite of an idealist living and a brutal world. So because of the fact that society was a new thing for everyone and so it also was in a world with looser boundaries than areas, so seeing how the post time skip city function is something fascinating. It showed how a tiny variable of alterations can change our way of how we view how society works. It was a very real direction the story went in.

When putting aside the crazy and silliness of the show you can find interesting topics like coping with death, sociopolitics, self-growth, and discovery.

I am not sure you will find them as something deep, but I sure did. Anyways, what do you think?

First, I want to say that i very much like your thoughts on this, and that you made some great points. A couple of eye openers definitely :)

I agree with your metaphor of the spiral, and the fact that they always go for the next big thing, the end being the whole universe, it does show the human nature well. :D Also, yes, my favorite part was what you said about Simon's dealing with Kamina's death, it does show a healthy way of coping.

Although my argument is that you can implement the idea, and still make the plot enjoyable, but for me, it was boring, I guess the way they implemented the idea they had just didn't sit well with me, but I can understand much better now why some people think it's great.

I think, for me, 10 less episodes would have been a much more pleasurable experience, but, I guess that for some 10 more wouldn't have been enough.
I remember being bored out of my mind whey they were fighting the generals episode after episode after episode after episode and thinking "Oh God, will something happen".

And with Rossiu, i completely agree with you, my thoughts on him from the start were that he is one of the best written characters in the show, if not the best, and even though I did hate him for the way he acted, I understood his actions completely and felt that I probably would have behaved the same way in his shoes. He was probably the most believable character for me, I guess that is why I thought of him as the best written, all the others were a bit too childish.
And I wouldn't say that he panicked, and betrayed Simon, I would said that he cold-bloodily assessed the situation and did what probably had to be done.
The thing I also didn't understand is why did the guards listen to him, and arrest Simon, if Simon was the Chief. It was not like he broke a law or something?

The second part of the series was definitely much better, and I don't have as many complains for it, the first part dragged on forever, imo unnecessary.
I understand that every battle had to be a little bigger than the last one, that they couldn't jump from the hole to the galaxy, but, for me, the execution of the idea was not well enough done for me to enjoy it fully.

Also, I don't really get while Yoko ended up an old maid, I don't think that her character deserved that, and I am not sure exactly what was the big point of Kittan dying exactly the same way as Kamina, felt that that was a really predictable cliche.
What are your thoughts on that one?
Mar 1, 2018 7:14 PM
Oct 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Fire13rin said:

First, I want to say that i very much like your thoughts on this, and that you made some great points. A couple of eye openers definitely :)

I agree with your metaphor of the spiral, and the fact that they always go for the next big thing, the end being the whole universe, it does show the human nature well. :D Also, yes, my favorite part was what you said about Simon's dealing with Kamina's death, it does show a healthy way of coping.

Although my argument is that you can implement the idea, and still make the plot enjoyable, but for me, it was boring, I guess the way they implemented the idea they had just didn't sit well with me, but I can understand much better now why some people think it's great.

I think, for me, 10 less episodes would have been a much more pleasurable experience, but, I guess that for some 10 more wouldn't have been enough.
I remember being bored out of my mind whey they were fighting the generals episode after episode after episode after episode and thinking "Oh God, will something happen".

And with Rossiu, i completely agree with you, my thoughts on him from the start were that he is one of the best written characters in the show, if not the best, and even though I did hate him for the way he acted, I understood his actions completely and felt that I probably would have behaved the same way in his shoes. He was probably the most believable character for me, I guess that is why I thought of him as the best written, all the others were a bit too childish.
And I wouldn't say that he panicked, and betrayed Simon, I would said that he cold-bloodily assessed the situation and did what probably had to be done.
The thing I also didn't understand is why did the guards listen to him, and arrest Simon, if Simon was the Chief. It was not like he broke a law or something?

The second part of the series was definitely much better, and I don't have as many complains for it, the first part dragged on forever, imo unnecessary.
I understand that every battle had to be a little bigger than the last one, that they couldn't jump from the hole to the galaxy, but, for me, the execution of the idea was not well enough done for me to enjoy it fully.

Also, I don't really get while Yoko ended up an old maid, I don't think that her character deserved that, and I am not sure exactly what was the big point of Kittan dying exactly the same way as Kamina, felt that that was a really predictable cliche.
What are your thoughts on that one?

I can definitely see why it could off as boring to others. And honestly, it came off that way some of the times for me.

Yeah, I think fewer episodes would have been better, some parts seemed tedious and annoyed and just seemed to drag on and on. I found the final episodes as the most unpleasable and boring even though for most, it was the most 'epic' part. I was simply just ready for the series to end, not because I didn't like it but I felt like it was trying to drag on.

Roosiu was definitely and still probably the most practical character which is actually really strange as seeing a practical character in a crazy world. Though everyone was first made very childish as Gainax wasn't expecting the anime to be popular and they originally meant it to just be a simple fun and silly show.
I think the guards listened because they were just guards. They didn't (probably) get an insight into the actual situation and so, they though just like the rest of the public and saw Simon as a threat. Thus they followed the best next thing, Roosiu who was going to get rid of the 'problem'

Yeah, the whole galaxy thing was quite a stretch. I understand that even though it was 'just an anime' that excuse can only cover so much for poor executed logical reasoning. I found it exciting to see what big thing would happen next but when we reached the final stage during the whole final boss fight, it was just.....I can't really describe the feeling. It was just weird and I didn't find it as enjoyable as most, I guess, I wasn't really sure what was going on since the poor logic used. For most fans, they just brushed it off and focused on the fact that two giant robots are fighting in a galaxy, but oh no, not me. My head was too busy swimming with confused questions like the whole space jump thing that the show just brushed off, not really wanting to explain it.

Yeah, Kittan dying was kind of pointless as if didn't feel as heavy as Kamina's, not just because Kamina was (in a way) better than Kittan but the died the same way. They tried to make it more heart wrenching with Kittan kissed Yoko but I just got annoyed with that. Yeah, I could see Kittan dying right when they got trapped in the wormhole thingy.

Well, I think it showed Yoko as just an old lady as to show she has found her peace and happiness. Being able to help and provide the next generation, as her character was not the one to use her fame to get what she wanted. She is the principle of the remote island school and I think it shows that she really wants to teach the next generation about the world before and show valuable lessons especially ones on senseless violence. But Yoko has really found her some true happiness and can now like a simple and peaceful life that she has thoroughly deserved.
I was quite happy that Gainax showed all the character after 20 years, something that most do not do/ I felt I really got to see all the character through their journey until the very end.
Sometimes I could just tell which character was going to die, though annoying as that can be, at least, all of Dai-Gurren's characters have heavy plot armor.

Though for animes like shojo, I found the outcome more important than the battles. While in certain other animes where the outcome was already decided for the literally very beginning (This is a very broad outlook), as in most shojos all the character did were just see who can power up more, this is how I felt for Dragon Ball. While in certain different animes, when the outcome is already decided cause the main character is overpowered, I found the journey to the predetermined outcome to be more fun. Like how many ass-pulls will characters use to get to the already decided victory, and I found ass-pulls what not to be more acceptable in these instances since they were already meant to win, anime like this is No Game No Life and Kakegurui. Also, I found that these animes revolved more about tactics than a usual shojo that was usually who can get more stronger. Still, this is very broad and I do not feel this way about some animes like I love One Piece even though the battles are more about who can get stronger.
Anyways, that huge passage relates to Gurren Lagann by me finding a mix of both of the previously stated feelings. I was excited to see what stupid thing, idea, or overpowered power up they would use to win but at the same tines, I could sometimes just yawn at how boring it could be. Kinda make sense? Maye not.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?
I find it absolutely find it very enjoyable to discuss with you and debate (not argue) about anime matters.
Honestly, I simply love debating about simply anything. Haha, I'm so weird.
Mar 2, 2018 11:04 AM

Feb 2018
Fire13rin said:

I can definitely see why it could off as boring to others. And honestly, it came off that way some of the times for me.

Yeah, I think fewer episodes would have been better, some parts seemed tedious and annoyed and just seemed to drag on and on. I found the final episodes as the most unpleasable and boring even though for most, it was the most 'epic' part. I was simply just ready for the series to end, not because I didn't like it but I felt like it was trying to drag on.

Roosiu was definitely and still probably the most practical character which is actually really strange as seeing a practical character in a crazy world. Though everyone was first made very childish as Gainax wasn't expecting the anime to be popular and they originally meant it to just be a simple fun and silly show.
I think the guards listened because they were just guards. They didn't (probably) get an insight into the actual situation and so, they though just like the rest of the public and saw Simon as a threat. Thus they followed the best next thing, Roosiu who was going to get rid of the 'problem'

Yeah, the whole galaxy thing was quite a stretch. I understand that even though it was 'just an anime' that excuse can only cover so much for poor executed logical reasoning. I found it exciting to see what big thing would happen next but when we reached the final stage during the whole final boss fight, it was just.....I can't really describe the feeling. It was just weird and I didn't find it as enjoyable as most, I guess, I wasn't really sure what was going on since the poor logic used. For most fans, they just brushed it off and focused on the fact that two giant robots are fighting in a galaxy, but oh no, not me. My head was too busy swimming with confused questions like the whole space jump thing that the show just brushed off, not really wanting to explain it.

Yeah, Kittan dying was kind of pointless as if didn't feel as heavy as Kamina's, not just because Kamina was (in a way) better than Kittan but the died the same way. They tried to make it more heart wrenching with Kittan kissed Yoko but I just got annoyed with that. Yeah, I could see Kittan dying right when they got trapped in the wormhole thingy.

Well, I think it showed Yoko as just an old lady as to show she has found her peace and happiness. Being able to help and provide the next generation, as her character was not the one to use her fame to get what she wanted. She is the principle of the remote island school and I think it shows that she really wants to teach the next generation about the world before and show valuable lessons especially ones on senseless violence. But Yoko has really found her some true happiness and can now like a simple and peaceful life that she has thoroughly deserved.
I was quite happy that Gainax showed all the character after 20 years, something that most do not do/ I felt I really got to see all the character through their journey until the very end.
Sometimes I could just tell which character was going to die, though annoying as that can be, at least, all of Dai-Gurren's characters have heavy plot armor.

Though for animes like shojo, I found the outcome more important than the battles. While in certain other animes where the outcome was already decided for the literally very beginning (This is a very broad outlook), as in most shojos all the character did were just see who can power up more, this is how I felt for Dragon Ball. While in certain different animes, when the outcome is already decided cause the main character is overpowered, I found the journey to the predetermined outcome to be more fun. Like how many ass-pulls will characters use to get to the already decided victory, and I found ass-pulls what not to be more acceptable in these instances since they were already meant to win, anime like this is No Game No Life and Kakegurui. Also, I found that these animes revolved more about tactics than a usual shojo that was usually who can get more stronger. Still, this is very broad and I do not feel this way about some animes like I love One Piece even though the battles are more about who can get stronger.
Anyways, that huge passage relates to Gurren Lagann by me finding a mix of both of the previously stated feelings. I was excited to see what stupid thing, idea, or overpowered power up they would use to win but at the same tines, I could sometimes just yawn at how boring it could be. Kinda make sense? Maye not.

I find it absolutely find it very enjoyable to discuss with you and debate (not argue) about anime matters.

It is interesting that you found the latter part of the show tedious, for me it was the only part that really kept my attention (other than a couple of episodes pre-time skip.

I didn't know about Gainax not wanting it to be a serious anime from the start, you read that somewhere? But it figures, i guess that's the reason I didn't like it, i like my anime to be serious (call me crazy). :D

That's some bad guards who listen to their instinct instead of obeying the Lord in charge, but I understand your point. You feel that it was more of a coup than an imprisonment.

"It's just an anime" is no excuse for poor logic, there are some brilliant anime out there that tackle with very complex subjects, and don't have plot holes and logic skips. The logic of everything in the last part of TTGL I wouldn't even comment, for me it felt like the show was trying to be smart by uttering a bunch of nonsense and failed miserably.

Of course, it was predictable, and I agree on your view of Yoko's life after the battle, I just don't see why all her love interests had to die, that part seemed undeserved. Is it karmic punishment for brushing off Simon?

I understand the thing about overpowered MCs and stuff, I enjoyed Naruto even if, like your said, the outcome of the battles was predetermined, I loved the way they got to that result. In TTGL it was not the case, I was mostly bored. So that's why it's so low in my book - didn't like the results, but also didn't like the journey. The battles were not exciting for me, but dull.

Some of the characters I did enjoy, and I loved Kamina's "believe in me who believes in you/ believe in you" etc, those were my favorite thoughts in the anime.
I understand that for plot reasons he needed to die, but from my perspective, his death hurt the show more than it helped him.

It's not wierd, and for me it is funny that we even got into a discussion, because I just wanted to type "I'm disappointed in this show" and move on with my life, but ended up heaving a pleasant discussion about it, and learned about some interesting views on it, that are different than mine, so I guess it wasn't all just a huge waste of time. :)
Mar 2, 2018 1:15 PM
Oct 2017
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Fire13rin said:

It is interesting that you found the latter part of the show tedious, for me it was the only part that really kept my attention (other than a couple of episodes pre-time skip.

I didn't know about Gainax not wanting it to be a serious anime from the start, you read that somewhere? But it figures, i guess that's the reason I didn't like it, i like my anime to be serious (call me crazy). :D

That's some bad guards who listen to their instinct instead of obeying the Lord in charge, but I understand your point. You feel that it was more of a coup than an imprisonment.

"It's just an anime" is no excuse for poor logic, there are some brilliant anime out there that tackle with very complex subjects, and don't have plot holes and logic skips. The logic of everything in the last part of TTGL I wouldn't even comment, for me it felt like the show was trying to be smart by uttering a bunch of nonsense and failed miserably.

Of course, it was predictable, and I agree on your view of Yoko's life after the battle, I just don't see why all her love interests had to die, that part seemed undeserved. Is it karmic punishment for brushing off Simon?

I understand the thing about overpowered MCs and stuff, I enjoyed Naruto even if, like your said, the outcome of the battles was predetermined, I loved the way they got to that result. In TTGL it was not the case, I was mostly bored. So that's why it's so low in my book - didn't like the results, but also didn't like the journey. The battles were not exciting for me, but dull.

Some of the characters I did enjoy, and I loved Kamina's "believe in me who believes in you/ believe in you" etc, those were my favorite thoughts in the anime.
I understand that for plot reasons he needed to die, but from my perspective, his death hurt the show more than it helped him.

It's not wierd, and for me it is funny that we even got into a discussion, because I just wanted to type "I'm disappointed in this show" and move on with my life, but ended up heaving a pleasant discussion about it, and learned about some interesting views on it, that are different than mine, so I guess it wasn't all just a huge waste of time. :)

Yes, if you want anime with a deep plot than Gurren Lagann is not the way to go as it is rather straightforward.

I agree, they seemed to have just thrown in some smart words, tried to make it look scientific in excuse for proper logic.

Haha, Gainax just wanted it to be more emotional so they made them kiss.

I can see why the seemed so dull as some of the battles were just that dull. "Let's see who can get bigger and gain a new power-up!" Bigger the better.

Yes, Kamia's quote felt really inspiring especially for those who lake poor self-esteem as it shows that it's okay to rely on others and even though you don't believe in yourself, others will.

So glad we got to talk and as for me too, it definitely opened my eyes a little and I did enjoy it so definitely not a waste of time on my side either. Have a good day and keep enjoying anime.
Mar 19, 2018 11:27 AM

Nov 2014
They look far too old for their age after this final timeskip. I understand their lives weren't easy, but cmon.

While not exactly my kind of anime, I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. There were some minor details that bothered me, but nothing serious.
Kind of shame tho that Yoko didn't end with Simon, even just staying together, not necessarily in a relationship. It feels pretty damn sad for everyone to live on their own - after such experience, it has to be hard to go back to normal life without company of someone who experienced it too.

accela said:
I'm still upset that Episode 1's intro wasn't Episode 27's end...

Quoting 11 years old post... but this. I waited for it all the time lol
Mar 21, 2018 3:48 PM

Nov 2014
Just finished it. Until episode 16 it was atrocious, i watched in 2x speed because i wanted to drop it. After time skip it became interesting... it's overrated but i will still give it a 7 just for the nice animations and the second half was decent.
Mar 29, 2018 10:23 AM

Jun 2015
Never expected to like it that much. Good show.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 15, 2018 7:02 AM

Jun 2010
Xaelath said:
DeathProxy said:

I dont think its not about flaws.
Every anime had flaws.

See this is the issue.. "flaws" are one thing.. but just the last 2-3 minutes of this ending was nonsensical and out of place enough to pretty much ruin the story and main characters. Like "going edgelord in one easy step!"

Xaelath said:

Its about the moral of the story.
Its about the story it trying to tell.

Which it completely shit upon in literally the last second!
Which it completely ignored at literally the last second!

I mean I don't think i've ever seen a series so nonsensically invalidate, ruin and spit upon it's very own theme/moral/message, so thoroughly and so abruptly before.. And at the very last second too. There was literally no reason or need for the last ~5 minutes. At the very best it was little more than a half-ass attempt at making the story artificially "seem" epic and emotional/deep.. inexcusable and really bad, lazy writing.
Pages (24) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.