Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 26, 2017 6:43 PM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fun episode. There was a lot more comedy than the first, but also some explanations for the basics of magic.

Angelica and her shop are really cool. The beginning of the trip was funny. "The money I bought her with was clean!"
Poor Elias got gut-punched once Chise told Angelica about the bath and proposal.

Chise used magic for the first time ended up completely covering the floor in crystal flowers. Just shows how powerful Sleigh Beggies are.

The insult war between Elias and Simon was hilarious.

The Iceland scenery at the end of the episode looked amazing. Chise got taken away D:
MillsJul 26, 2017 6:52 PM
Jul 26, 2017 6:47 PM

Mar 2016
SNATCHED UP at the end!

it seems that their are many different roles mages can take! Angelica builds stuff... her daughter is so cutee!!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2017 6:53 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Simon seems like a very cool and interesting character. I lol'd at the moments where Angelica punched Elias and blamed him for the mess in her shop. It was nice to see Chise getting to know who Elias actually associates himself with from time to time.

I still found it somewhat odd that Elias human face kind of looked a bit like Simon's though lol.
Jul 26, 2017 7:00 PM
Apr 2014
The background art is lovely. Angelica is a great character and we really see how strong Chise is with manga.

London also looks great.
Oct 14, 2017 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
Oh man, I love the humor of this show. It feels like it's done just right.

I really like Angelica this episode. She has that commanding presence but also very knowledgable about what she does. Plus, her shop looks like it has some unique objects and specimen.

As I had expected, the visual quality is great with a majestic vibe. Solid episode.
Oct 14, 2017 10:56 AM

Dec 2016
Those last 30 seconds came out of complete left field. Couldn't that have waited until the next episode?
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
Oct 14, 2017 11:02 AM

May 2015
Eeeeee just incase there's some people who doesn't know about the "Slay Vega vs Sleigh Beggy" translations

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2017/09/15/meet-the-woman-behind-the-ancient-magus-bride

(Like Sleigh Beggy is a legit Irish Folklore lul)
LeturLefrOct 14, 2017 11:27 AM

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Oct 14, 2017 11:14 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

We get introduced to Angelica and some of the basics of Magic. Some really fun moments at the shop.
Chise tries her hand out at Magic and she's got immense potential because of her status as a Sleigh Beggy.

The visuals look stunning as always.

I love the scene where Silkie hugs Chise protectively from Simons, so adorable.

Was the intro to the dragon land this early? I remember this happening but I guess I just don't recall it happening so early, I suppose I just forgot.
Oct 14, 2017 11:19 AM

Mar 2016
when chise makes the flowers, omg. she has had such a hard life

really really enjoy this show
Oct 14, 2017 11:36 AM

Jun 2015
The comedy in this episode was pretty funny, especially Elias and Simon insulting each other. Angelica is introduced and taught Chise about the basics of magic. She has a daughter. Chise tried to do magic, but it she ended up completely covering the floor in crystal flowers because she's a Sleigh Beggy. The visuals was beautiful. She was on her honeymoon with Elias, but a big dragon took her. Oh no.
Oct 14, 2017 11:36 AM

Aug 2013
What a punch from Angelica. Liking her already.

Good episode. Chise showed her potential when she used magic for the first time.

Oct 14, 2017 11:37 AM

Aug 2013
Angelica the MILF! <3 She fine af boi. Another good episode really fleshing out these characters. Why can't more shows be like this?
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 14, 2017 11:39 AM

Mar 2014
Really good episode, really happy with this adaptation so far
Oct 14, 2017 11:41 AM

Apr 2015
I love all these little backdrops we get to Chise's past that show just how emotionally scarred she actually is.

Overall the episode again showed two sides to Elias which puts his whole character in a twisted light. On the one side we see him being beneficial to local residents with medicine he makes and genuine to Chise on the other side he's been called out by other people around him for his creepy and strange actions. It seems he himself is not exactly aware of the consequences some of his actions hold which could result from a lack of common sense just how Angelica said.

I adore all these bits of world building we get. We learn a little about the difference between magic & sorcery, how both work, a practical test and much more.

What I also really like is that the show again and again expands on this world's magical finesse by merely showing us these tiny creatures that are drawn to Chise or how Elias send out this paperbird. No one really comments on it and explains it to the last detail because it's a vital part of what these characters know from their every day life.
Oct 14, 2017 11:44 AM

Jul 2015
Elias did nothing wrong!

"The money I bought her with was clean!".

Oct 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Sep 2017
Very nice episode, with quite some comedy but also some sad details about Chise's life. It's quite interesting how this show manages to be sad and melancholic one moment and then makes you laugh on the next. Also, it's art direction is just stunning, now I want to visit Iceland. Shame I don't have the cash o(>< )o.

Also, DAAAAAYUM ELIAS. He can be one sexy mofo when he wants. I still prefer the skull though.
Oct 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Jun 2014
Chise seems to have a lot of magic potential, she'll definitely be very talented if she can control and master her abilities. We've also encountered some drama now with Chise being taken by that dragon dude at the end.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 14, 2017 11:49 AM

Jul 2013
That axolotl-like being is one of the cutest things I have ever seen in an anime. I want one!
The episode was rather calm until the end (when shit hit the fan), but I like how chill the series is. Liked Angelica and Simon too.

Also, Elias is already thinking in their honeymoon and they are not even married at this point. What the Hell xD
Oct 14, 2017 11:56 AM

Dec 2015
I like Elias's human face, he's good looking. Sleigh Beggy is such a big deal apparently, I wonder what exactly that is.

Come on Elias, you can't just let Chose get abducted all the time, be more careful.
joe_g7Oct 15, 2017 1:54 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 14, 2017 11:59 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, was a surprise the Elias!!! More easy for the girl if he want to be married with her!!!
Crystal flowers, be careful!!! kekeke
Oct 14, 2017 12:01 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Weird cliffhanger, they pulled that out of nowhere, didn't really feel that one.
Oct 14, 2017 12:09 PM

Jun 2016
The episode was 5/5 except for the last minute. It went like this:
Chise, let's go to our honeym-oh now we're at Iceland already, what a nice place, there are dragons around her-CHISEEEE
The pacing could have been a little slower..

Oct 14, 2017 12:24 PM

Feb 2016
well that was an interesting cliffhanger O.o

episode was brilliant, nice comedy and that animation is top tier! haha lols at Elias getting punched

can't wait for next episode!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 14, 2017 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
Not as good as the first episode as it was largely expository and just about introducing several characters, but it was still pretty solid barring the pacing of the last minute of the episode: did they really need to tack that cliffhanger on like that? And if they did, why not make this episode longer to accommodate that with slightly more natural pacing? Or just cut some of the lame chibi comedy moments to get more time for stuff like that.
Oct 14, 2017 12:25 PM

Feb 2008
the music in this show makes the atmosphere so soothing.
Oct 14, 2017 12:28 PM
Jan 2016
With every minute I fall in love with this anime more and more
This episode was so relaxing, funny and melancholic at some times I'm really loving the atmosphere of it
We have been introduced to new characters: Simon and Angelica They are lovable characters
The tension between Simon and Elias is so funny and Oh my Elias is so handsome in human form I'm so in love Hope to see him more like this
Animation and soundtrack were quality This anime is all I want I couldn't imagine it to be any better
I'm waiting for Ruth appearance I hope that he will appear in the next episode I miss him so much
We had a little drama at the end with Chise being taken away by the dragon
Can't wait to see where it goes
Oct 14, 2017 12:30 PM
Sep 2012
I loved that wooper, it's so freaking adorable~ It follows Chise everywhere.

Another nice little episode! Elias' derp face is goals. That echo when Angie punched him, tho. Had a few chuckle here and there. And yes, to those who disturbed by the whole Chise is purchased by Elias, Angie agreed with you. Glad the show understands that it can be disturbing to some watchers and they acknowledged it indirectly.
Oct 14, 2017 12:32 PM

Feb 2008
btw, that cliff hanger is exactly how things are suppose to develop. If you were surprised by that, you probably haven't read the manga. not sure how the LN handles that.
Oct 14, 2017 12:39 PM

May 2015
Don't understand the complaints about the cliffhanger or the "lame chibi comedy moments"

Oct 14, 2017 12:55 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very enjoyable series so far.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 14, 2017 12:56 PM

Nov 2013
Absolutely love this adaptation so far, 11/10 no complaints.

The manga handles the 'cliffhanger' even worse imo, not that I personally think it's handled in a bad way even there.
Was fully expecting the episode to play out this way and I'm glad they did change it up a bit compared to the manga.

(In the manga the chapter starts with Chise already in the dragons mouth with a 'Why' over her head and then it cuts to into a flashback where the conversation with Simon happens. It takes half of the chapter to get to the point where it is now.)
Oct 14, 2017 12:59 PM
Jan 2013
That is exactly the adaptation that I wanted :D
slow paced, focusing on beautiful animation and backgrounds just like manga :D
Oct 14, 2017 1:08 PM

Apr 2010
Zantius said:
Angelica the MILF! <3 She fine af boi. Another good episode really fleshing out these characters. Why can't more shows be like this?

Because Japan would rather make stories about old men hooking up with underage girls.

...oh
Oct 14, 2017 1:28 PM

Apr 2012
Man, the OP and ED are just so good.

I'm under the spell.
Oct 14, 2017 1:40 PM

Jul 2016
This looks like something I can get into. I quite liked the comedic moments, this series has a nice dry humor to it that I wish more anime had.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2017 1:46 PM

Sep 2017
may be my favorite anime of the season so far tbh
Edward Elric > your waifu

Oct 14, 2017 1:59 PM

Sep 2015
AntwanMantilla said:
Simon seems like a very cool and interesting character. I lol'd at the moments where Angelica punched Elias and blamed him for the mess in her shop. It was nice to see Chise getting to know who Elias actually associates himself with from time to time.

I still found it somewhat odd that Elias human face kind of looked a bit like Simon's though lol.
I guess the animation team didn't seem to find it that important cause it was a small fact mentioned somewhere in the manga.
Oct 14, 2017 2:14 PM

Dec 2014
Well that escalated quickly..probably a bit too much. We already knew Angelica from the OVA; but still nice to see her again. The shimp is new though, and I didn't think there was a sort of "pact" between mages and the church. I guess the latter imposed a few rules on mages to be able to still exist and not get burned to the stake.
Oct 14, 2017 2:17 PM

Apr 2015
And another good episode. :)

That little green dragon is cute. :3

Honeymoon? Hahaha well done.

That ending :O

5/5
Oct 14, 2017 2:17 PM

Jul 2012
This was really good, thought that 1st episode had some hiccups. Like how they are showing comedy moments, i think they really nailed it. Especially Silky hugging Chise, that was so sweet =/
Oct 14, 2017 2:18 PM
Jul 2016
I love all the chibi comedy moments, they're hilarious. The cliffhanger at the end could have felt a little bit more natural, but other than that, another great episode.

Shina_Hoshi said:
I loved that Wooper.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that. Alolan Wooper confirmed.
Oct 14, 2017 2:45 PM

Jan 2016
Fun episode. Masterpiece in the making!

Also there are dragons in this show, DRAGONS!
Oct 14, 2017 2:47 PM

Apr 2013
Amazing episode. Also, i just love Chise's expressions haha, she's so adorable. Character voice as well.

I wonder they wanted to take her to the Dragon's land at the end... Is he the guy that's in the OP or someone else... I forgot to check.

Oct 14, 2017 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
oooh i like his human face in the anime more than in the manga. i like being able to see his expressions, he seems more fun that way. but i honestly don't mind his natural face either, it's original ig
Oct 14, 2017 3:13 PM

Dec 2012
Nice episode. The magic in this show is cool. Lovely to see more of London.

A letter that turns into a bird. Now that's helpful.
Ainsworth human face is handsome. Silky makes some nice food.

LOL Angelica hitting Ainsworth for being weird.

Woah a dragon taking Chise.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Oct 14, 2017 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
antonn said:
Zantius said:

Because Japan would rather make stories about old men hooking up with underage girls.

...oh

Shots fired XD just shots fired
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 14, 2017 3:43 PM

Jul 2009
Lmao that ending escalated quickly.

I'm loving the pastoral vibe of this show despite it being set in modern times - it's strangely relaxing with a slow progress. Elias and Chise were already likable from the first episode, and I'm glad to see the new characters like Angelica and Simon are the same. Not sure what to expect from the story yet, but I'm fine with the pacing for now.
Oct 14, 2017 4:22 PM

Nov 2009
This might be the best series besides Spice and Wolf that i ever saw. I already want to put it as my favorite and give it a 10, but i really should wait till its finished.
Oct 14, 2017 4:31 PM
Mar 2017
Milf Angelica seemed beautiful to me: 3. Where is angelica's husband?
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Oct 14, 2017 4:45 PM
Aug 2017
Favorite show this season.

Only bad thing is having to wait for the next episode haha
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

189 by satyamkumar4005 »»
Jan 12, 9:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.