Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Feb 18, 2016 10:09 PM

Jul 2011
Lollo36 said:
I think we could have a better discussion without all your not-so-subtle remarks about why the male audience likes Mary :P

I can only speak for myself, but I like her because unlike the other two girls, she has a strong presence that's not related to how often the "camera" looks at her boobs and/or legs; also, she trash-talks Ranta the most, which is extremely satisfying given that he's the catalyst for most of the cringeworthy LN comedy.

Unfortunately the show messed up the presentation of her backstory, RIP.

Stealing my words. I like Mary too. Someone finally talks back to Ranta, we need more of that.

Pretty cliche backstory, imo. It was my first guess and I hit the nail on the head regarding her past. :L
Feb 19, 2016 7:06 AM

Jan 2011
At first I thought she was a stock character for the sale of comedy, then I realized the were serious. I figured her backstory soon as the preveiw flashed the "subtle" words her circumstances.
Feb 19, 2016 1:22 PM
Sep 2014
I hate the preview in this anime. It kind of ruined the experience like with Manato's death or Mary's background, even though it was obvious.
Feb 19, 2016 1:32 PM

Jul 2015
I am really liking Mary a lot and I kind of feel bad for her from what we learned from her backstory.

(I hope we get Mary included in the ED credits somewhere... Though at least the OP theme is still pretty darn good).
Feb 19, 2016 2:05 PM

Nov 2011
The new op video implies that there won't be lot of action in the anime, I didn't like the video Although the song is good ....
still I don't like Mary that much
The anime is too slow ><" ... the art is killing me it's too GORGEOUS!
To desire some results, one must take actions
Feb 19, 2016 4:37 PM

Nov 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
PukingMachines said:
ranta is ruining this show for me single handed, god fucking dammit
Tired od these reletionship police that keep popping up in anime. Where did that stupid ass habit come from anyway.

its not only that, his voice is annoying, the way he talks is annoying, his attitude is horrible, he's a coward that talks big and he has 0 self-awareness.
just bad in all possible regards and to add insult to injury, none of his beta friends punch him in mouth for once.
Feb 19, 2016 4:47 PM

Jan 2011
He doesn't even warrant that, but that busy body attitude we see in attitude has gotten really old. Don't know who enjoys a cock block.
Feb 20, 2016 9:32 AM
Sep 2014
Mirorin said:
Lollo36 said:
I think we could have a better discussion without all your not-so-subtle remarks about why the male audience likes Mary :P

I can only speak for myself, but I like her because unlike the other two girls, she has a strong presence that's not related to how often the "camera" looks at her boobs and/or legs; also, she trash-talks Ranta the most, which is extremely satisfying given that he's the catalyst for most of the cringeworthy LN comedy.

Unfortunately the show messed up the presentation of her backstory, RIP.

Stealing my words. I like Mary too. Someone finally talks back to Ranta, we need more of that.

Pretty cliche backstory, imo. It was my first guess and I hit the nail on the head regarding her past. :L

That was my first guess too. Who cares if it's cliche or not, it's a good reason as to why she's acting like that. And, it's better than having her cliche backstory as "people was mean to me, so I distant myself from everyone".
Feb 21, 2016 7:33 AM

May 2008
I thought the art kinda dropped down during the early parts of the episode. Droopy eye syndrome. Mary's past was kinda expected (haven't read the novel). Hope they fight something else soon, really tired of Goblins.
Feb 21, 2016 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
Meh episode overall.
Anyway, Mary's cold personality is likeable.
Their team member is such dick tho...especially that red head.
And, still fight with goblins.
Feb 21, 2016 3:07 PM

Jun 2015
ichii_1 said:
Geezus looks like Mary's past group were also noobs, what the hell are their teachers teaching them? :(
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED AN RPG?

like those damn npc teach you shit.
Feb 21, 2016 6:46 PM

Mar 2015
Ehh.... more of Mary's backstory... will Mary dies next? In an anime that don't afraid to kill people, the ones who got lots of backstory will die...

Mary is likable, she also suffered a lot way more than Haru's team. But Ranta have to be an asshole... and he didn't even feel bad for Manato. What a messed up team you have there Haru.

Feb 22, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 2008
CC9ers said:
ScipioXII said:

Holy shit, are these type of comments ever going to end? Does no one understand that the pace of this show is supposed to be this way. It's not SAO. If you want that, go watch SAO.

A lot of people like the pace, like the character discussions and personal feel this has. Why are we 6 episodes in and people are still crying about the pace?

Just because the pace is intended doesn't mean it isn't bad. If the characters were better then sure, go ahead and spend more time on them. But they're all terrible and one-dimensional outside of Haruhiro. I'm wondering if you even realize this is only 12 episodes. Because for a 12 episode anime, this is simply T-O-O S-L-O-W. Go fanboy somewhere else.

And it doesn't mean it is bad either. Your opinion on one-dimensional is yours. Oh god, follow the lightnovel pace, god forbid! Who cares if it's 12 episodes. Who cares? Nobody does except you and your panic to see something more action orientated before the episodes run out. Go retard somewhere else.
Feb 22, 2016 5:44 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, finally i know why Mary acts that way :( It wasn't her fault but she thinks it was.
Yume best girl, as always ;)

bastek66 said:
More arts by Mieko Hosoi is always welcome

Agreed, love this art.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Feb 23, 2016 5:40 AM
Mar 2012
Start was quite funny. Yume's mouth blabbers everything.
Surfer wetsuits? Nice OP.
Mary still anti social & offensive (or passive aggressive), but warming up to them now. Backstory the cliche ptsd stamp, but felt suiting.
Haruhiro leadership levelup with best skills: observation & communication. Lots of respect for his patience getting Mary to talk.
Piano osts wow
Feb 24, 2016 9:55 PM

Jan 2008
I guess I was the only one who didn't notice that Moguzo had no decent headgear.
Feb 25, 2016 1:22 PM

Aug 2010
Mary is definitely going to become my favorite character.
Feb 25, 2016 6:58 PM
Feb 2016
This was one of the most interesting episodes in my opinion!

Mary has defiantly been their longer then the rest of the crew, and came from a different party giving her a different story, view, and moral values compared to the rest of the crew, and it was enjoyable to hear her old comrade explain how Mary became such a gloomy priest, and why she refuses to heal immediately.

I sadly have to admit that her strategy is far better then the late Manato, she knows how a priest can help, and how a priest should react in situations, while Manato was such a perfectionist
Feb 25, 2016 11:54 PM

Jul 2012
Well, no surprise that she has a "tragic backstory".

Btw, who's voicing Shinohara? He sounds like Takahashi Hidenori.
Feb 26, 2016 12:48 PM

Mar 2015
Fredo_p said:
I'm still hard set that the red head needs to die and be replaced. I can't stand that asshole. His high school perverted mentality is ruining it for me.

I totally agree on that one
Feb 26, 2016 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
I guess she just didn't want to be hurt again, pretty much the same story as theirs.
MP is a bitch.
Feb 28, 2016 5:01 AM
Dec 2009
The new opening seems like an ending animation, so slow and relaxed.

I had a feeling Mary had a ~tragic past~, nice to learn about it fairly upfront. I look forward to seeing her get used to the party and become a real friend to the team.

Also hopefully Ranta eventually matures, ha.
Feb 29, 2016 4:19 PM

Dec 2009
Yeah, i very quickly saw right through what kind of person Mary is. Net even 5 mins into the ep and she was already my favourite character in the show. I knew there'd be a back story like that. Girls trying to be stoic like that can be pretty cute.

Her attitude made me want to tell her, if i were there, everything one for one:
-explain in gentle but logical terms that how she does things needs to be known in order for the party to be cohesive and stable.
-she won't waste her magic on cuts and bruises, she just needs to say so
-if i were haruhiro, i'd even thank her for her perspective catalyzing insights into strengthening teamwork; experiencing getting banged up also increases your understanding and respect for combat, making you less reckless... that's a life lesson worth thanking someone for.
-i might even imply something like "if you need us to be stronger for you, then all you had to do was tell us" though by that point i'd have already said it for her.

I bet you a million bucks that bundle up there would have blown her away. Sometimes i wish i could see really casually keen people in stories who just pick up on all those kinds of things and intuitively understand all kinds of people.
GenesisAriaFeb 29, 2016 4:45 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Feb 29, 2016 10:02 PM

Oct 2008
This show is too depressing! but at least we got to see more about Merry's past and why she behaves like that and never smiles.
On the first part, Ranta was so crazy and hilarious!
5/5.
matias067Feb 29, 2016 10:10 PM

Mar 1, 2016 1:07 AM

Jan 2016
Yawn
This show keeps getting more boring, i'm trying my hardest not to drop it.
2/10 so far
Mar 3, 2016 12:11 PM

May 2010
Okay, I like Mary's way of doing things. Do the job first and then get the reward in the form of some healing. Not bad. She's really uncooperative though I like how she treats Ranta.

Ranta pisses me off. What the hell is he- calling Yume flat-chested loudly in a freaking bar. A FREAKING BAR. Okay. Go die.

It all makes sense now. Mary blames herself for the death of her comrades.

Man, I really love the preview music, it's so soothing..
Mar 5, 2016 2:42 PM

Feb 2013
I was right! Merry was saving her heals for when they were really necessary. I figured she screwed up in the past and lost her party.

Wow that new OP with new-girl Merry-service!
Mar 6, 2016 10:45 AM

Jul 2009
Good thing they are getting closer somehow and getting better too!
Poor Mary she also lost people she cared about.
Mar 10, 2016 2:54 PM

Oct 2012
So I was right she lost group members too. Pretty sad story, no wonder she is like that. Can't wait to see her open to them and laugh. Maybe, sometimes in the future.
But whoever made her join them did her a favor I guess. They have something in common and could heal their wounds mutually.

Ranta needs to cool down and soon, he's just bringing trouble. It's not I hate his attitude from viewers perspective I'm just saying it would be nice to see some developement in his worldview.

I liked the new OP. Kinda wondering why Manato is still there though as his resurrection would be the worst thing for this series to do. They are now 3 girls and 3 boys, I would like to have this balance even further.
(but ofc, it's kinda obvious they meet with everyone again after leaving this world so that's maybe why)

And the way Haruhiro is acting as leader more and more, which leads to some great teamwork in the fights kinda makes me glad.
Mich666Mar 10, 2016 2:59 PM
Mar 17, 2016 3:34 PM
Aug 2014
Her backstory seemed pretty predictable to me. Doesnt change that this explains how her character came to be and that its overall very believable.
Seems like next episode will be a gear up. I hope yume buys new tight leather pants a new bow or something, because i feel like we never see her do anything in the fights.
5/5 again
Mar 27, 2016 2:28 PM

Apr 2014
Damn, Ranta is annoying as hell, die already!!
Mar 30, 2016 9:17 AM

Jun 2015
At first I thought this show will be shitty and I was definitely not entertained by episodes 2-5. Now it seems better, even if it is slow and emotional like brainless defender of unborn life. :s
Apr 1, 2016 3:16 PM

Mar 2016
Mary is growing on me, she and Manato started off the same

Pretty good episode
Apr 6, 2016 12:33 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah ofc Mary had some trouble in the past. That is so sad.
Apr 7, 2016 3:56 PM

Mar 2013
what the point of the 7 days training ?
first none are prepared for kill and now even the priest don't learn about mana limit ? how and why ?
Apr 23, 2016 1:08 AM

Oct 2013
tfw can't tell if Mary or Merry is the correct spelling

Feels like people are missing the point by writing off Mary's background as just another tragic backstory. It's not about Mary; it's about Mary's parallel to Manato and her connection to the party. What happened to her is akin to an alternate universe where, instead of Manato being killed, Moguzo, Yume, and Ranta (thank God) were killed because of Manato's incompetence and poor use of his role as Priest. It's for that reason her story should resonate with the main party.

I have no strong feelings in either direction regarding Mary; she's cute and I don't dislike her, but she's kind of just there right now. I do feel a twinge of pity for her, because she must feel like such an outcast in the group.

Obvious kuudere waifubait is obvious though.
ZadionApr 23, 2016 4:14 AM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 15, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2011
Figured it had something to do with her mana management in the past.
Jun 30, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2015
Nice to see them regroup.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2016 10:39 AM

May 2012
Quite the heavy atmosphere at the end! Pretty decent episode though.
Aug 23, 2016 5:15 AM

Jul 2013
Now that we know about Mary's past can someone tell me now why the fuck Ranta is such an annoying fuckhead and why won't he stfu?
Dec 31, 2016 4:54 PM

Sep 2016
Ranta is such a pain tbh
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Jan 16, 2017 12:55 AM

Jun 2012
Not bad, moving along nicely (and slowly).
Yasu-kunJan 16, 2017 1:17 AM

Apr 23, 2017 1:44 PM

Aug 2015
Nothing that we the audience, or the characters couldn't have inferred on our own (their own).
May 19, 2017 11:47 PM

Dec 2012
LMAO at Ranta.
Dat backstory. Mary ran out of MP.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 22, 2017 8:48 PM

Mar 2012
Just because her last party got screwed due to her lack of mana doesn't mean she needs to act like a tsun bitch to her new party. I really don't see what's so hard about her explaining that she doesn't waste her mana on small scratches so that they'll have enough in case of an emergency.
Aug 22, 2017 5:19 PM

Jul 2013
Omg Ranta at the beginning. I knew he would react like this after hearing Haruhiro and Yume hugged each other :D

Funny how even Moguzo hit back at one point.

Mary like always really restrained. Even when Yume and Shihoru tried to start a conversation it didn't do to much. At least she said Good Morning back to Haruhiro. Also later in the episode it seemed she wants to be more normal but something holds her back from it.

Was interesting to hear something about her past. After what happened there I can understand why she's like that. 3 friends died because she had no more magic. No wonder she doesn't heal immediately every little scratch. :(

Curious what Haruhiro will do from now on after he heard her story.
Natsu88Aug 22, 2017 7:25 PM

Aug 22, 2017 5:23 PM

Oct 2015
Natsu88 said:
Omg Ranta at the beginning. I knew he would react like this after hearing Haruhiro and Yume hugged each other :D

Funny how even Moguzo hit back at one point.

Merry like always really restrained. Even when Yume and Shihoru tried to start a conversation it didn't do to much. At least she said Good Morning back to Haruhiro. Also later in the episode it seemed she wants to be more normal but something hold her back from it.

Was interesting to hear something about her past. After what happened there I can understand why she's like that. 3 friends died because she had no more magic. No wonder she doesn't heal immediately every little scratch. :(

Curious what Haruhiro will do from now on after he heard her story.

What's the point in reviving old threads , (all the more since the anime is finished)?
Jan 12, 2018 7:12 AM

Sep 2012
no wonder she is so gloomy, ofc i have seen chars like that who just are like that sins they were born who have that type personality, but she actually has a reason why she is like that

i see Mary x Moguzo flags rising :D
Sugram22Jan 12, 2018 7:15 AM
Jan 4, 2019 11:48 PM

Jul 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
ichii_1 said:
Geezus looks like Mary's past group were also noobs, what the hell are their teachers teaching them? :(
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED AN RPG?

like those damn npc teach you shit.

After just watching Goblin slayer, I assume everyone is noobs and getting destroyed by goblins.
Feb 20, 2019 11:14 AM

Apr 2013
The thing that makes me still enjoy this with the slow pacing and sometimes nothing happening is the music. Just so fitting and relaxing. Merry really doesn't do a bad job, I guess she's just more experienced.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2016

430 by ChewySlimeI »»
Yesterday, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

463 by T-h-u-n-d-e-r »»
Apr 22, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2016

281 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 14, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

206 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Hai to Gensou no Grimgar Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 13, 12:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.