Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler -
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 16, 2017 9:46 PM

Aug 2016
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched, up its own ass and just edgelord bullshit. But a fair amount of people are loving it. What am I missing?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 16, 2017 9:49 PM
Nov 2016
I don't dislike it, but I don't necessarily like it.
People will find one anime and overhype it. It's Kakagurui's turn.

Jul 16, 2017 9:49 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Littlereshi said:
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched, up its own ass and just edgelord bullshit. But a fair amount of people are loving it. What am I missing?

if you don't like it you don't like it.. why make a thread? are you hoping someone is going to tell YOU, why YOU don't like it?

i like it because its hot ass girls being badass, and the animation is amazing, is that not enough?
Jul 16, 2017 9:54 PM

Aug 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
Littlereshi said:

if you don't like it you don't like it.. why make a thread? are you hoping someone is going to tell YOU, why YOU don't like it?

i like it because its hot ass girls being badass, and the animation is amazing, is that not enough?

I made this thread hoping to get some insight into why people like it. I do personally like the animation, I think it's amazing (the cinematography isn't great but that's besides the point). I didn't make this thread to ruin anyone's opinion.
Jul 16, 2017 10:02 PM

Dec 2016
Lol, there's definitely a fair amount of ppl who dislike it as well. It's one of the most watched shows airing this season, doesn't mean it appeals to everyone who's watching. What you're "missing" is the fact that ppl are allowed to like and dislike whatever they want. Threads like these are pretty much up their own ass, as you put it.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Jul 16, 2017 10:02 PM

Jul 2013
Of course, you are not the only one who dislikes something, but I do have to agree. It honestly felt really dumb. It was like mixing the bad parts of Kaiji with the bad parts of NGNL. I honestly feel like it really has nothing going for it other than maybe its animation, but even that wasn't that great. Well, I guess it does have the horrid facial reactions if you like that kind of stuff. The backgrounds were fairly dull and it had some awkward moments of horrible cinematography. Personally, I found it to be one of the worst first episodes I have seen in a long while. I would say more about why I dislike it, but here is why people like it. Even if I don't feel that way.

People like it because of the tension that it has. The reaction faces to people are genuinely funny to them. And having hot/sexy girls dominating other people gives them a "reaction" if you catch my drift. Oh and the power fantasy that is has would be appealing to most too. And honestly, I think that is really it.
Calal-ChanJul 16, 2017 10:10 PM
Jul 16, 2017 10:03 PM

Aug 2016
rvbrick said:
No. It's pretty damn terrible. The only thing in the show that's remotely well executed is the title sequence.

that being said, compared to the rest of the seasonal anime I've seen (admittedly, not very much), it's at least a step above abysmal, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's mediocre.

I totally agree about the OP, the song is awesome and the visuals are great. I personally think ACCA 13 had a similar and better OP, but credit where credit is due, the OP for Kakegurui is great.
Jul 16, 2017 10:04 PM

Jun 2017
If you're going to say something is crappy, at least explain why other than throwing around often overused and misused terms...

Anyway, the main merit of the show is that it is supposed to be over the top and exciting.
Jul 16, 2017 10:05 PM

Oct 2013
Littlereshi said:
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched
honestly every series has its set of cliches so that isn't valid criticism. Would be better to say how the show is doing the cliches wrong compared to other shows with those cliches
Littlereshi said:
just edge lord bullshit.
ah that is so right and the very reason I'm watching it since I'm a sadist and it has a strong lead instead of a disgusting little cry baby like Deadman Wonderland or Tokyo Ghoul
Jul 16, 2017 10:06 PM

Aug 2016
Calal-Chan said:
Of course, you are not the only one who dislikes something, but I do have to agree. It honestly felt really dumb. It was like mixing the bad parts of Kaiji with the bad parts of NGNL. I honestly feel like it really has nothing going for it other than maybe its animation, but even that wasn't that great. Well, I guess it does have the horrid facial reactions if you like that kind of stuff. The backgrounds were fairly dull and it had some awkward moments of horrible cinematography. Personally, I found it to be one of the worst first episodes I have seen in a long while. I would say more about why I dislike it, but here is why people like it. Even if I don't feel that way.

People like it because of the tension that it has. The reaction faces to people are genuinely funny to them. And having hot/sexy girls dominating other people gives them a "reaction" if you catch my drift. And honestly, I think that is really it.

That's a perfect way of explaining it, I guess the main appeal isn't anything in way of plot, which is what I expecting from the synopsis. Maybe I put my expectations in the wrong place.
Jul 16, 2017 10:11 PM

Aug 2016
AniMatt17 said:
If you're going to say something is crappy, at least explain why other than throwing around often overused and misused terms...

Anyway, the main merit of the show is that it is supposed to be over the top and exciting.

Right, well when I say cliched, I mean in the way the story is told. The gambling games are beyond predictable and not tense because of that. The main character guy is my main gripe with the show. His inclusion is completely unnecessary, taking him out from the story would change absolutely nothing. He's so inconsequential.
When I say edgy and up it own ass, I mean that the show has no self awareness to either its premise, or its execution. The way Jabami get turned on by gambling, screams to me of "OOO looks sexuality! Look how grown up and mature!" while the show itself is immature. The girl who steals fingernails from people has this same air of "oO look! Violence!". It's so up it's own ass trying to be cool and different that it neglects to make any other part of its story coherent, unique or exceptional. It's base and boring, and the fact that it acts as if it isn't, is infuriating.
Jul 16, 2017 10:12 PM

Oct 2014
AniMatt17 said:

exactly.

and its still to early to tell that this anime sucks. Kimino Friends had a very bad start but as episodes went by, it became more awesome.

and to @Littlereshi, continue to watch it.
Jul 16, 2017 10:13 PM

Dec 2012
I've only seen PVs so far, but is it basically Kaiji without the triangle chins?
Jul 16, 2017 10:14 PM

Apr 2017
>Suit yourself :p

>It's not like you care to drop the show already

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 16, 2017 10:16 PM

Aug 2016
Gazz said:
AniMatt17 said:

exactly.

and its still to early to tell that this anime sucks. Kimino Friends had a very bad start but as episodes went by, it became more awesome.

and to @Littlereshi, continue to watch it.

Well, I am going to watch it to the end, as I do with all my airing shows. But I do have enough faith in myself to tell if an anime is going to be bad from its early episodes.
Jul 16, 2017 10:17 PM

Nov 2009
> Am I the only one who doesn't like Kakegurui?
I avoided watching it in the first place. It sounded bad even from description.
Jul 16, 2017 10:17 PM

Aug 2016
Ratohnhaketon said:
I've only seen PVs so far, but is it basically Kaiji without the triangle chins?

I haven't seen Kaji but I heard that one is actually good
Jul 16, 2017 10:18 PM

Aug 2016
deafnote said:
I barely made it through the first episode. I could have easily checked the source beforehand, but I went in blind, thinking Mappa = Instant masterpiece

Big mistake on my part. I would have loved it just a few years ago and I do understand why a lot of people like it. It's sexy, silly and has a little thrill and mystery to it, but it just isn't for me

I love MAPPA too, Terror in Resonance is a personal favourite and Yuri!!! On Ice was decently good. They let me down
Jul 16, 2017 10:21 PM

Oct 2014
Well I wanted to give an answer here to but you guys already have said it....

Ppl just tend to like Insane hot girls I guess?

Also this anime kinda feels like an insult towards Corporate ppl and pro gamblers to be honest (but who gives a dam about that)
Jul 16, 2017 10:24 PM

Aug 2016
Bourmegar said:
Well I wanted to give an answer here to but you guys already have said it....

Ppl just tend to like Insane hot girls I guess?

Also this anime kinda feels like an insult towards Corporate ppl and pro gamblers to be honest (but who gives a dam about that)

Personal taste here but the girls aren't that hot tbh, I've seen hotter.
Jul 16, 2017 10:30 PM

Jun 2015
Littlereshi said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

I made this thread hoping to get some insight into why people like it. I do personally like the animation, I think it's amazing (the cinematography isn't great but that's besides the point). I didn't make this thread to ruin anyone's opinion.

Check episode discussions then. No need to make a thread everytime how person x is a special existance who seems to be the only one who dislikes show y.
Jul 16, 2017 10:32 PM

Aug 2016
Brb said:
Littlereshi said:

Check episode discussions then. No need to make a thread everytime how person x is a special existance who seems to be the only one who dislikes show y.

I just thought that I'd keep negativity out of there because it's usually fans in the episode discussions.
Jul 16, 2017 10:32 PM

Dec 2012
Littlereshi said:
Ratohnhaketon said:

I do highly recommend it. I started off wondering what the hell I was doing and now I'm foaming at the mouth wanting a season 3.
Jul 16, 2017 10:33 PM

Aug 2016
Ratohnhaketon said:
Littlereshi said:

I do highly recommend it. I started off wondering what the hell I was doing and now I'm foaming at the mouth wanting a season 3.

I might check it out! It seems pretty cool.
Jul 16, 2017 10:38 PM

Jul 2013
Littlereshi said:
Calal-Chan said:

People like it because of the tension that it has. The reaction faces to people are genuinely funny to them. And having hot/sexy girls dominating other people gives them a "reaction" if you catch my drift. And honestly, I think that is really it.

That's a perfect way of explaining it, I guess the main appeal isn't anything in way of plot, which is what I expecting from the synopsis. Maybe I put my expectations in the wrong place.

AHHH you replied before I edited my post. Another thing people like is the power fantasy.
Jul 16, 2017 10:42 PM

Aug 2016
Calal-Chan said:
Littlereshi said:

AHHH you replied before I edited my post. Another thing people like is the power fantasy.

(Whoops! Sorry about that!) Yeah the power fantasy is a huge part of the appeal too. I don't have a problem with self inserting/wish fulfillment, if it's in a show that gives a damn about anything else.
Jul 16, 2017 10:46 PM

Aug 2008
I drop it after watching the first episode.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 16, 2017 11:13 PM

Jun 2015
I feel like it would be quite a bit better without that lower class discrimination shit and was just solely about the gambling.
:)
Jul 16, 2017 11:14 PM

Aug 2016
desseroni said:
I feel like it would be quite a bit better without that lower class discrimination shit and was just solely about the gambling.

YEAH now that I think about it. If everyone was on an even playing field, there would be more tension.
Jul 16, 2017 11:20 PM

Mar 2015
out of 7 billion people on the earth, yes, you are.. you ar the only one... you are choosen one... now be free... your people needs you...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 17, 2017 1:13 AM

Oct 2015

you are the one true lord , my lord and saviour op-sama
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Jul 17, 2017 1:21 AM

Nov 2014
It hasn't really done anything much. Kaiji was much better imo in terms of gambling and really making you feel the tension.

Kakegurui at the moment... I'm hoping for more development with Saotome which can in turn change the character dynamics we've seen for the first 3 episode, because it doesn't seem Jabami will progress on her own and the passive main character sure as heck isn't going to push anything.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 17, 2017 1:26 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
The only one in the entire world, guaranteed
Jul 17, 2017 1:27 AM

Oct 2014
Definitely not, I absolutely despise every aspect of it. Utter rubbish.
Jul 17, 2017 1:31 AM

Jul 2013
We can close the thread now, the truth has been spoken.
Jul 17, 2017 1:41 AM

Feb 2013
The manga is actually a little entertaining (still waaay inferior than akagi/kaiji imho), but it isn't translating well into anime.
Jul 17, 2017 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
Rashidz said:
The manga is actually a little entertaining (still waaay inferior than akagi/kaiji imho), but it isn't translating well into anime.
I suppose this for me, especially because of the art. Which is probably the best part of the manga.

Kinda think I am gonna drop it and just continue with the manga at some point.
Jul 17, 2017 3:20 AM

Sep 2016
Littlereshi said:
What am I missing?

I dont know. May be answered by asking yourself, why you love Monogatari, Evangelion, Shingeki no Kyojin, and Zankyou no Terror? And why you dislike SAO?
Could be the answer is personal taste?

Personally, I've loved kakegurui since reading the synopsis and watching the PV. Because I already understand the story and plot after watch first episode, for me the anime is very interesting to watch.

How do i explain it. You know, because its a Compulsive Gambler-"Complusive!" with genre Game + Psychological "Psycho!" + Mystery + Drama. For the story connoisseur, I'm pretty sure only with that combination is already very interesting.

Morevore, the uniqueness of the storyline, the tidiness of the story, the element of surprise, the conflict, the way of telling the story, the consistency of quality, the existence of positive values ​​of life, and characterization. Kakegurui have all the elements that make me love a story.

Littlereshi said:
The main character guy is my main gripe with the show. His inclusion is completely unnecessary, taking him out from the story would change absolutely nothing.

I dont agree with that. Suzuki is a normal guy who is not crazy with gambling. Whereas jabami and other girl is the opposite. Of course with such characterization would make the story to be dynamic. Then just look at how the character develops with the story. If the character does not develop, it will make story unattractive.

Littlereshi said:
Right, well when I say cliched, I mean in the way the story is told. The gambling games are beyond predictable and not tense because of that.

Which parts do you consider clichés? Do you forget if there is an element in the story of uncovering cheating in gambling?
NabeliaJul 17, 2017 3:41 AM
Jul 17, 2017 3:23 AM

Apr 2016
This thread shows that you're not the only one OP. Also retarded criticism like "it's cliche" or "it's edgy" has become so overused i can't take someone seriously anymore when using that as an excuse without explaining.
Jul 17, 2017 3:26 AM

Apr 2016
Edgy (let me explain - for kids who things that it is cool when MC is somehow OP or shit like that.) show full of lame yuri bait fanservice with dense/useless/pussy male MC - everything you can't expect from nipponjin anime this season. Everything that MAL user desire...
SwagernatorJul 17, 2017 3:29 AM
Jul 17, 2017 3:32 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
No.

Simple probability would dictate that you're not 100% unique in disliking the show, making me wonder why - unless you are just incapable of very basic reasoning - you'd ask this question. But really, it's fact that you're not alone and there's statistics to prove it and that's really the only thing that matters at the end of the day, so /thread, your question has been answered OP. Congratulations.

Sit back and actually ask yourself "Do I think I am literally the only person who has a negative opinion on a product?" before running here and seeking validation by asking a redundant question like this.

ManabanJul 17, 2017 3:48 AM

Jul 17, 2017 3:43 AM
May 2015
It's a different thing, with some extravagant art and with a little episodic show. I guess it's being a little repetitive but it's because they want to show us how does the school works, I'm pretty sure that now on we will have some surprises.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2017 4:03 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Littlereshi said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

well its a bunch of fine ass girls acting crazy in great animation... so thats enough for me
Jul 17, 2017 4:24 AM

Nov 2012
Not at all, my man. I dislike it and I haven't even watched it.
Jul 17, 2017 4:27 AM

Nov 2016
There are a lot of things to like

-there aren't many anime about gambling

-MC character switches from an innocent looking girl into a total savage during the games, this contrast is quite amusing to watch.

- the over the topness in general, risky stakes, brilliant facial expressions and crazy people around every corner

-the little mind games

-appealing visuals and good OSTs

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 17, 2017 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Littlereshi said:

I dunno. I saw two episodes (or one and a half xD) and really don't like the style aka not just art style, the whole style with the over the top crazyness, or the theme.
Jul 17, 2017 6:36 AM

Dec 2012
I'm on the middle
Its similar to no game no life.. i guess. thats why I dont get hyped
but more on humiliation after the game (i guess you'll enjoy it if you're quite sadistic?)

© 花巻 花郎 @ pixiv.net
Jul 17, 2017 7:36 AM

May 2016
"Yes, out of all people in the world, you are the only one, you are a special snowflake."

Is this the kind of answer you expected?
Jul 17, 2017 7:49 AM

Feb 2016
And who the fuck are you OP?
You can read the anime threads and see for yourself why people like it. whoah

Littlereshi said:
Idk man, I just feel that's it's so cliched, up its own ass and just edgelord bullshit.

> rated FLCL with 9
Jul 17, 2017 8:02 AM

Sep 2016
you are missing kaiji and akagi.......
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» We Really Got an American Live Action Before A Season 3

Jcmixer27 - May 31

35 by NoRudy »»
Jun 8, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2017

377 by Pyromance »»
Jun 8, 9:16 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2017

194 by dilwale_bhaiya »»
May 31, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

119 by dilwale_bhaiya »»
May 30, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Kakegurui Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2017

184 by dilwale_bhaiya »»
May 30, 4:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.