Forum Settings
Forums

Animation Studio Artland Seeks Debt Consolidation

New
Jul 9, 2017 10:45 PM

Jul 2009
Animation Studio Artland Inc. announced on Friday that it has hired a lawyer to assist the company with consolidation of its corporate debt, which stood at 298.84 million yen as of December 2016.

In an interview with credit reporting agency Tokyo Shoko Research, Artland president Kuniharu Okano denies reports that the company has suspended its business operations. According to Okano, Artland sent a notice to its business partners on Tuesday that it is seeking to consolidate its debts with the help of Tokyo-based corporate attorney Satoshi Kaji.

Artland was originally founded in 1978 by the late animator Noboru Ishiguro. In 2006, it became a subsidiary company of Marvelous Entertainment, but later spun off Animation Studio Artland Inc. in 2010 in a management buyout. The original Artland entity was retained by Marvelous as a rights holding company and ceased to exist in 2015 when its operations were absorbed for efficiency purposes.

Following a successful 2014, when the studio produced new installments of the Mushishi anime and assisted with the production of Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season, annual revenue stood at 289.74 million yen as of November 2015 according to Tokyo Shoko Research. However, annual revenue as of November 2016 fell to 81.36 million yen with a recorded deficit of 93.02 million yen. Teikoku Databank reports that 90 percent of Artland's operating expenses come from outsourcing costs.

Okano said he has not ruled out the possibility of civil rehabilitation, Japan's equivalent of bankruptcy protection, which allows a company's management and its debtors to draft a reconstruction plan without entering liquidation. Okano has also received offers for private acquisition by other companies but has not decided whether or not to pursue that route.

Source: Tokyo Shoko Research, Teikoku Databank

News submitted by AIDSKrillex
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:10 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 9, 2017 10:55 PM

Jan 2009
so Artland is not technically dead yet eh, good but the fact that they are in debt tells you that they are not hired by a lot of production committees this days, and the real question is are they lacking staff thats why they are not hired by production committees now a days?

is the animators shortage really a big crisis there in the anime industry?
Jul 9, 2017 11:06 PM

Jul 2009
j0x said:

Yes. The 2016 industry report published by the Association of Japanese Animations shows what this means. Production capacity of TV anime actually declined between 2014 and 2015 and is not likely to return to its previous peak capacity.

Jul 9, 2017 11:09 PM

Jan 2015
Can Artland just do a merger with an another company? They already did that one time
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 9, 2017 11:15 PM

Jul 2009
AIDSKrillex said:
Can Artland just do a merger with an another company? They already did that one time

See the last sentence.
Jul 9, 2017 11:18 PM

Jan 2009
arsonal said:
j0x said:

Yes. The 2016 industry report published by the Association of Japanese Animations shows what this means. Production capacity of TV anime actually declined between 2014 and 2015 and is not likely to return to its previous peak capacity.

so thats what that graph means, i actually read all that AJA report when you(?) made a news about it here on MAL but my bad memory strikes again and i did not know that its related to the animator shortage crisis at that time
Jul 9, 2017 11:29 PM

Jan 2015
Don't really care

Artland is very similar to Gainax. Great studio in the past, shitty studio now.
Jul 9, 2017 11:32 PM

Jan 2009
Xenocrisi said:
Don't really care

welp that ignores the right question of why they become shit studios in the first place though and the main reason is they do not have the manpower especially better staff like in-house animators
Jul 9, 2017 11:33 PM

Feb 2011
What exactly did they expect when they went from Mushishi to Senran Kagura and Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai ? Let's get real this studio probably won't come up with any other good works in the future so might as well just close it now. Good riddance.
Jul 9, 2017 11:44 PM

Jan 2015
j0x said:
Xenocrisi said:
Don't really care

welp that ignores the right question of why they become shit studios in the first place though and the main reason is they do not have the manpower especially better staff like in-house animators

That's pretty much where every studio fails

KyoAni is the only studio (as far as I know) that hires in-house animators. Artland should have thought of this method way earlier
XenocrisiJul 9, 2017 11:54 PM
Jul 9, 2017 11:47 PM

Jan 2009
Xenocrisi said:
j0x said:

KyoAni is the only studio (as far as I know) that hires in-house animators. Artlabd should have thought of this method way earlier

ye and ufotable if i remember right

those that do most of the animation in-house tend to have high quality animation and deceptive meme of having unlimited budget works even though there is no real news that KyoAni and ufotable have high budget to begin with when it comes to animating shows
Jul 9, 2017 11:57 PM

Jul 2014
j0x said:
Xenocrisi said:

KyoAni is the only studio (as far as I know) that hires in-house animators. Artlabd should have thought of this method way earlier

those that do most of the animation in-house tend to have high quality animation and deceptive meme of having unlimited budget works even though there is no real news that KyoAni and ufotable have high budget to begin with when it comes to animating shows

There's a balance to be made between costs of licensing IP and paying your own staff. In video games for example, it is not uncommon for big name IP licensors to be skeleton crews in their first few ventures. (Warhammer 40K wave of shovelware, anyone?)

I imagine it's similar in anime, if you have a big in-house staff you also need your own idea people, to either identify cheap IPs early enough (CD Projekt Red and The Witcher, anyone?) to adapt at a low cost, or to make your own original work that isn't shit.

Because giant well known IPs will tend to sell well regardless if they're good or not. This is more a consumer problem than a producer problem, of course. Until people stop supporting shitty cash-ins on their favourite IPs, production is going to remain shit.

Kyoto Animation have historically had good idea people who choose lesser-known but highly marketable IP to adapt, or make their own original work sellable enough, to support a big animation staff.

You simply can not imagine the 24 carat gold testicles it takes to take a look at the first volume of Nichijou and say "Hey, you see that amateurishly drawn gag manga? Let's take that, and make it our animation masterclass."
Not to mention being the money guy to approve it.
Red_TuesdayJul 10, 2017 12:02 AM
Jul 10, 2017 12:03 AM

Jan 2009
Red_Tuesday said:
j0x said:

There's a balance to be made between costs of licensing IP and paying your own staff. In video games for example, it is not uncommon for big name IP licensors to be skeleton crews in their first few ventures. (Warhammer 40K wave of shovelware, anyone?)

I imagine it's similar in anime, if you have a big in-house staff you also need your own idea people, to either identify cheap IPs early enough (CD Projekt Red and The Witcher, anyone?) to adapt at a low cost, or to make your own original work that isn't shit.

Because giant well known IPs will tend to sell well regardless if they're good or not. This is more a consumer problem than a producer problem, of course. Until people stop supporting shitty cash-ins on their favourite IPs, production is going to remain shit.

Kyoto Animation have historically had good idea people who choose lesser-known but highly marketable IP to adapt, or make their own original work sellable enough, to support a big animation staff.

ye i agree, it depends on the consumers support in the first place, i imagine ufotable for example started doing in-house animation more when their first instagram digital/photo effect Kara no Kyoukai movies become a massive hit and now all their works after that uses the same and animation style and FX
Jul 10, 2017 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
So in other words they still have a chance to get saved essentially? Hmm, I mean that clarifies a lot of things and in this case then that means they need probably a company to help them out with the debts (which isn't really a bad thing but they will need a lot of help on that regard).

Hopefully they can find a way to get things resolved if there's still a chance of it. Though this is kind of worrying (in terms of what arsonal displayed in the entire graph from decline) since this is an issue when it comes to the industry, along with other stuff, which is very much worrying.
Jul 10, 2017 12:12 AM

Jul 2014
j0x said:
Red_Tuesday said:

ye i agree, it depends on the consumers support in the first place, i imagine ufotable for example started doing in-house animation more when their first instagram digital/photo effect Kara no Kyoukai movies become a massive hit and now all their works after that uses the same and animation style and FX

That's a good point, there's always the possibility of a surprise hit early on that, if reinvested well, can give you the freedom to pursue both great in-house production and big name IP licenses. Or, you could get there eventually through stringing together enough successes in a row.
Jul 10, 2017 2:08 AM

Apr 2014
One of the few studio that did not produce trash, and they gone bankrupt. Well done Japan well done.
Jul 10, 2017 3:09 AM

Mar 2015
let me reposted from another comment i already made...

Kuma said:
it's expected since they haven't really active since reborn ending... when eldlive anounced, i tough it would be them, but they given it to pierrot which already red alert how badly artland doing and even worse when LOGH remade given to IG and even short like shounen ashibe go goma-chan is handed towards no name studio... i've already feel this since mushishi zokushou since it was pretty much their last straw to survive (well, not that bad since it was 6K, but still)...

oh, for people screaming industry is dying, no, old model of industries does dying, and anime producer that still rely on them is just waiting their time to dies... the market it self only keep growing... (as showing anime revenue report only keep increasing, but BD sales just keep declining)
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 10, 2017 5:26 AM

Jan 2015
arsonal said:
AIDSKrillex said:

See the last sentence.
good for them. I hope they will still survive. They really need to change their business model though.
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jul 10, 2017 6:26 AM

Nov 2015
RIP ):

Thank you for Sin: nanatsu no taizai

Atleast thier Twitter account is still up: https://twitter.com/artland_info

There is still hope for The seven mortal sins to atleast finish. Still need those last 2 episodes.

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 10, 2017 6:38 AM
May 2016
I hope that they can still be around, they animated hitman reborn, and I hope that they can one day do a remake of Reborn
Jul 10, 2017 6:48 AM

Nov 2013
mehmehperson said:
RIP ):

Thank you for Sin: nanatsu no taizai

Atleast thier Twitter account is still up: https://twitter.com/artland_info

There is still hope for The seven mortal sins to atleast finish. Still need those last 2 episodes.

"Last 2"? Episode 11 is already out. Episode 12 only in the 29th though. But given how the studio is in such a crisis, I think we should be happy that we are getting the last episode at all.
Jul 10, 2017 7:25 AM
Oct 2010
Looking at their database listings I'm not surprised at all. Other than Macross it's all pretty bad and/or unpopular.
GD1551Jul 10, 2017 7:46 AM
Jul 10, 2017 7:40 AM

Nov 2008
arsonal said:
j0x said:

Well there isn't a lot of good kids anime these days, which explains why kids anime have been in decline, you basically have your handful of shounen, a few primetime magical girl/idol anime (Precure, Aikatsu, Pripara, and Rilu Rilu Fairlu), and the super long running family anime (Doraemon and Sazae-san) that are good.

Jul 10, 2017 8:02 AM
Oct 2010
Hoppy said:

Well there isn't a lot of good kids anime these days, which explains why kids anime have been in decline, you basically have your handful of shounen, a few primetime magical girl/idol anime (Precure, Aikatsu, Pripara, and Rilu Rilu Fairlu), and the super long running family anime (Doraemon and Sazae-san) that are good.

If there is a shortage (I don't know because I haven't looked into that) is it really a surprise? From what I gather, anyone not in Sunrise or KyoAni gets paid dogshit and works more than a slave.
Jul 10, 2017 8:39 AM

Jul 2009
They changed a lot after producing Mushishi in 2006 (the same year they became a subsidiary company of Marvelous coincidentally). From LotGH and Macross to Demon King and Nanatsu no Taizai. Haven't seen a studio with a more drastic identity shift.
Jul 10, 2017 8:50 AM

Oct 2013
Hoppy said:
arsonal said:

What are you talking about? just OLM has 12 kid anime series right now. Toei Animation has 6 series, you can say only 5 of those are for kids, but still. Bandai Namco Pictures(the Sunrise kid and family section) with 4 series. You have TMS with around 3, Gallop with 1(Yu-Gi-Oh). Than you have Eiken with Sazae-san, Nippon Animation with Chibi Maruko-chan, Shin-Ei Animation with Doraemon and Shin-chan, and many others.

For the ones I talked about it makes 29 series. How there isn't many good kids anime these days? Right now is probably the period or one of the periods with more kids series out there.
Please don't conflate huge number of late-night anime with the size of the kid anime, that is an horrible and wrong metric.
Jul 10, 2017 8:52 AM

Oct 2013
GD1551 said:
Hoppy said:

If there is a shortage (I don't know because I haven't looked into that) is it really a surprise? From what I gather, anyone not in Sunrise or KyoAni gets paid dogshit and works more than a slave.

You're wrong. The people that receive better in average are from Toei Animation. KyoAni and Sunrise never revealed how much their people receive, so this rumours that they receive so well and are one of the better cases in the industry is bullocks.
Jul 10, 2017 9:45 AM
Oct 2010
bigivelfhq said:
GD1551 said:

You're wrong. The people that receive better in average are from Toei Animation. KyoAni and Sunrise never revealed how much their people receive, so this rumours that they receive so well and are one of the better cases in the industry is bullocks.

In the case of at least KyoAni, their workers are salaried.. that alone means they are making way more than the average animator.
Jul 10, 2017 1:36 PM

Sep 2013
Aren't they owned by Haoliners? and how do you add up debt with outsourcing, what a scam.
Jul 10, 2017 5:22 PM
May 2015
bigivelfhq said:
GD1551 said:

It's not a rumor...Kyoto Animation's staff are paid well but that's all they said. You're right, they never revealed their exact numbers but the fact that KyoAni rarely relies on outsourcing and does all of their work in-house should tell you that they're doing a good job for themselves. Outsourcing and hiring freelancers are a cheap alternative to hiring animators that will work full time for your studio and KyoAni rarely relies on these methods.

Plus, they're almost always in the production committee so whatever they earn through BD sales and other revenue means goes to them instead of producers paying them like dirt shit. For example, Studio Actas only got the money from the production committee to spend on their project for GuP Film but most of the revenue that the film earned did not go towards Actas since they're not on the committee.

Jul 10, 2017 8:08 PM

Oct 2010
That's what happens when anime is made 90% by foreign slaves in SE Asia.
Jul 11, 2017 12:48 AM

Oct 2013
jc9622 said:
bigivelfhq said:

It's not a rumor...Kyoto Animation's staff are paid well but that's all they said. You're right, they never revealed their exact numbers but the fact that KyoAni rarely relies on outsourcing and does all of their work in-house should tell you that they're doing a good job for themselves. Outsourcing and hiring freelancers are a cheap alternative to hiring animators that will work full time for your studio and KyoAni rarely relies on these methods.

Plus, they're almost always in the production committee so whatever they earn through BD sales and other revenue means goes to them instead of producers paying them like dirt shit. For example, Studio Actas only got the money from the production committee to spend on their project for GuP Film but most of the revenue that the film earned did not go towards Actas since they're not on the committee.

While for Kyoto Animation we only have the 'employees earn well', we have the numbers for Toei Animation. Toei also built an entire subsidiary company overseas, it didn't just outsourced work. And it has a union not only for their workers, but also for their freelancers.

Also Toei rarely does production committes, but partnerships with 1 or 2 other companies and so receives a lot more from each work

You shouldnt see production committe has paiyng bad the contracted animation company,because it isn't, and the value is agreed and decided by both parts. The contract is not a special one, but in fact a normal contract between two entities.
Is like you have a home beer maker and you need containers and so you pay a 3rd party for those, not for a percentage of every beer you make.
Jul 11, 2017 12:55 AM

Oct 2013
ichii_1 said:
Aren't they owned by Haoliners? and how do you add up debt with outsourcing, what a scam.

Is not scam, payments arent made at the moment the deal is made, but it has a period of time of around 6 to 12 months, in short terms liabilities. Possibly they though they would get the money in that period of time but it not ended being the case.
Jul 12, 2017 9:41 AM

Feb 2010
FIGHTO ARTLANDO!

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Jul 12, 2017 7:52 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
bigivelfhq said:
ichii_1 said:

Is not scam, payments arent made at the moment the deal is made, but it has a period of time of around 6 to 12 months, in short terms liabilities. Possibly they though they would get the money in that period of time but it not ended being the case.

It is hard to recover from that deficit, sadly the industry, in general, isn't going well and it is evident due to all the economical changes around.

Jun 20, 2023 10:56 AM
Nov 2022
VyseLegendaire said:
That's what happens when anime is made 90% by foreign slaves in SE Asia.
yes accept it after COVID most of the animes are done by overseas animators and they suck

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 1 hour ago

4 by nec0_0 »»
1 hour ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

7 by malvarez1 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
4 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no RozĂ©' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
6 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.