Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to drop an anime (12-25 eps) after 1 episode?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jun 19, 2017 9:23 AM
Nov 2010
Nothing wrong with dropping 1 episode. I tend to watch 1 episode of an anime to see if I like it. If I don't, it's down the bin I guess.
Jun 19, 2017 9:29 AM

Dec 2012
Drop it anytime you want if you don't like it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 19, 2017 3:04 PM

Jan 2010
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Shicchi said:

I mean, when you dropped an anime after only watched first couple episodes and still leave a score.

It's not that I care, I just a little pissed when people score an anime without completing it or even watched half of it.

Why? I want to avoid it. I want to remind myself:Jou you thought this anime was really shitty and not fun. Don't go back unless you have to.

And you had to do that by scoring it low??? You can just put it in your dropped list and write a tag or comment or something to remind you.
Scoring an anime after only watched the first episode is not fair because the score is there to measure the anime as a whole right?
This only my opinion though. I don't force you change your method or anything. I don't care about MAL score, but I just don't get it. People like you.
Jun 19, 2017 3:07 PM

Feb 2015
Well at least you didn't drop the series when you haven't watched it... :/
Jun 19, 2017 3:09 PM

Feb 2015
If the first episode was that bad, then why shouldn't it be okay to drop it after that? I've dropped several 12 episode series that were hard to sit through just the first episode.
Jun 19, 2017 4:12 PM

Jun 2011
Shicchi said:
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

Why? I want to avoid it. I want to remind myself:Jou you thought this anime was really shitty and not fun. Don't go back unless you have to.

And you had to do that by scoring it low??? You can just put it in your dropped list and write a tag or comment or something to remind you.
Scoring an anime after only watched the first episode is not fair because the score is there to measure the anime as a whole right?
This only my opinion though. I don't force you change your method or anything. I don't care about MAL score, but I just don't get it. People like you.

Because NOT EVERYTHING in my dropped list is something I want to never return to. Sometimes it was just on my hold list for 5 years. hahaha. Also MAL doesn't calculate any anime you have seen less than 1/3rd of anyway after they are finished airing. Which is why scores always go up when an anime finishes because it no longer counts people who dropped in the first two episodes.

Honestly though, even my watching list becomes a graveyard. :/

Also Graph.Anime.Plus. <--- more accurate if you rate everything you watch.

To be honest though. One of the anime I have considered putting on my dropped list: Ping Pong the Animation. Which has been on my watching it list for a while since I bindged several episodes and gave 10/10 and never went back to, should baffle far more.

Dropping shows which I think I love should be way way worse.
Energetic-NovaJun 19, 2017 4:20 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 19, 2017 4:31 PM

Nov 2013
nope...
i watching Diabolik Lover and drop in eps 01
Jun 19, 2017 4:35 PM

May 2017
no, not all media is made to pander to you in 1 or 3 episodes, things that catch you in the first or first 3 episodes are either cheap or good, mostly cheap.
Jun 19, 2017 8:49 PM
Feb 2013
I think it's best to give a series at least 3-4 episodes before dropping it, but there have been some rare instances when I dropped a show after the first episode.
Jun 19, 2017 11:21 PM

Aug 2008
TheBrainintheJar said:
TheInfamousMaze said:
Prevention is the best medicine. I used to give an anime 2 eps and then decide whether to continue, but now I use a lengthy process to select the anime. By the time I watch an anime, I already know I'll like what the anime is about, so now it's up to luck. Does the anime itself wow me? Using this process, I'll never again stumble onto a mediocrely animated serial about soda cans that turn into 1 dimensional girls. Ever.

It's amazing how a story about soda can girls can be so boring and uninteresting.

What is your process?

I make a post for suggestions on Reddit. It takes a very long time, no one replies when you want them to.

Half kidding, I think of something that I want to see. A type of story, not using genres, but categories to find anime with very specific niches. There's an anime for everything out there, even flying helicopters(Rescue Wings, so good). Once I have a list of anime with specific things I want to see, I look at some spoiler free art. Do I want to watch this art style? Then I filter them out by genre which narrows the larger list. Would I rather watch Shounen or Seinen? Do I want something funny, or something serious? Must it have panty shots or exclude them completely? Then the sound, I listen to the OP and sometimes the ED. I check MAL and other sites to see if other people liked it or not, spoiler free recommendations. Sometimes I rely on reddit for help. Lastly, I research if it's different from the manga, because these days I prefer to watch a few episodes of an anime, just to memorize the voices, so I can use them while reading the manga. Why select the manga over the anime? it is the purest version, aside from maybe a light novel, and I'd rather read comics. I don't have to worry about if I disliked the music, or the production value for the anime wasn't sufficient. But most of all, the story doesn't end prematurely because the anime wasn't that long. That, in a nutshell, is my process.

I almost forgot, check the watch order and sometimes read order. I prefer experiencing everything as it's supposed to happen in a timeline.
TheInfamousMazeJun 19, 2017 11:45 PM
Jun 19, 2017 11:23 PM

Jun 2016
Yes because maybe if you watch more ep you might endup liking the anime instead of dropping it
Jun 19, 2017 11:26 PM

Nov 2016
nope
not at all

i actually did that a couple of times since the anime wasn't my cup of tea
Jun 19, 2017 11:34 PM

May 2015
Yes, dropping something that early on is stupid. If you're going to drop it after one episode, then at least know that you can't really say anything about the show, since you know nothing. I find people who do that to be the most annoying.

Jun 20, 2017 12:05 AM

Aug 2015
The masochists misunderstood people will tell you dropping anything is wrong
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Jun 20, 2017 12:23 AM

Apr 2014
Yes it is, why you even started watching it anyway? You knew that genre wasn't good for you but you still tried watching it?
There's genre tags, synopsis, character illustrations and PVs, so why bother? That's the problem to people who drops.
And what makes it worst is, they even rate it low just by watching the pilot episode of a show they don't even know.
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 20, 2017 12:32 AM
Jan 2017
I only drop episode's if its shit or too stupid.
Jun 20, 2017 12:49 AM
Nov 2016
Usually when I watch one episode of something I just add it to my PTW list with that episode there so if I do ever want to watch it I know. Putting it on drop is kinda ehh. I'd rather have the longer watched things on my drop list.

Jun 20, 2017 1:17 AM

Aug 2016
Illyricus said:
I can understand why other people can drop a series after the first episode. Better quit something you are not going to enjoy than spending time torturing yourself.
In my case, as a completionist, I never drop anything, but only because I like to have a complete picture of the shows I watch.

Same here, I like to give all anime I watch as many chances it takes for me to get to the end, even if I didn't like a thing about it.

I do take care when picking what to watch so as to not torture myself.
Jun 20, 2017 1:30 AM

Dec 2015
For a 26eps series, it's weird since they often use up to two episodes to tell the introductory story. Often, the big change in game / revelation comes at episodes 12-13, revealing a large chunk of what the story is about.

To be the subject of such allergic/epidermic reactions only mean you have not the slightest idea what you are about to watch. You don't take the time of choosing what you watch. When someone plans his TV evening, he generally open the schedule and checks what's on and what it is.
Jun 20, 2017 4:24 AM

Jul 2015
No, but I don't do it

I view five episodes at minimum and if I'm still not enjoying the anime I put it on hold and come back when I think I can endure watching it (although this has happened less than 10 times). The only exception is Bleach. That was just too much for me, but I was at episode 169 when I dropped it.
Jun 20, 2017 4:45 AM

Nov 2009
Philipp-Nunes said:
What is the minimum number of episodes that you consider appropriate to drop?

I dropped WagaMote after I finished watching the first opening. And I don't consider myself wrong on this part.
And there are numerous anime I didn't even bother watching.

Drop whenever you feel like it, unless you have other reasons to watch.
Jun 20, 2017 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
No.­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Jun 20, 2017 6:59 AM

Aug 2016
I next to never do
But clockwork planet was a big exception to the rule

I always give an anime a chance for the most part of it's seasonal but no I don't entirely believe that 1 episode and then a drop is wrong

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Jun 20, 2017 7:21 AM

Apr 2017
I think you shouldn't drop an anime after 1 ep because sometimes, ep can't tell you that whether that anime is good or not.
Jun 20, 2017 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
If you arent enjoying it, you should just stop there. I don't think there is a rule to it, it's up to yourself what you feel like doing.
Jun 20, 2017 7:28 AM
Captain Eyepatch

Dec 2015
Only drop an anime after 3 or 4 episodes.

Or don't and become a badass that has seen things that must be unseen.
Jun 20, 2017 7:28 AM

Apr 2017
I don't usually drop a show unless if it was so annoying & downright cringy for me in all forms.
It's a rare occasion for me though.
The only Anime that I had dropped after seeing its first episode was the Anime adaption of NORN9.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2017 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
Nah I drop it after 1 episode too if I hate it. There has yet to be an anime where I hated the first episode and actually liked the rest of it enough to warrant the time I put into it.

Jun 20, 2017 7:54 AM

Jun 2014
Why do I get the impression that OP thinking that dropping an anime is automatically sin-worthy. There is nothing remotely wrong for cutting ties towards a show as it doesn't appeal to you. The failure of the show not connecting/resonating with you lies with the content creators, it's their fault the show did not give you a positive impression or it's just not your thing. This is the equivalent of crying over spilt milk, nothing drastic happened.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 20, 2017 8:01 AM

Mar 2008
Not really.
You do whatever you want, at last you're the viewer and the list is yours. Simple as that.
Jun 20, 2017 8:17 AM

May 2015
flannan said:
Philipp-Nunes said:
What is the minimum number of episodes that you consider appropriate to drop?

I dropped WagaMote after I finished watching the first opening. And I don't consider myself wrong on this part.

Dropped after the opening? Please tell me you're joking.

Jun 20, 2017 8:19 AM

Nov 2009
Kittens-kun said:
flannan said:

I'm serious.
There was pre-opening sequence, and I already knew it hits too close to home by the time the opening started. The opening just gave me time to think about it.
Jun 20, 2017 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
Nothing is wrong. It's your free time, watch whatever you want. Nobody forces you to watch an anime you didn't like after the first one or two episodes.
Btw, I just ... can't. Re:Zero is so bad. I can't watch more than those three...
Jun 20, 2017 8:42 AM

Aug 2012
I had just one anime dropped after 1 episode because it was extremely bad both as animation and as characters although it seems it had great reviews. Then we Have tokyo Ghoul dropped after 5-6 awful episodes... Except for that I did not drop anime after just a few episodes.
Jun 20, 2017 8:48 AM

Jun 2011
Kittens-kun said:
flannan said:

I have dropped in a similar timeframe myself. I don't mark them but yeah. >.> It is like I click the show on crunchy, check it out up to the song. Make judgments. And say "FUCK THIS SHIT IM OUT"

I donno. You were never in an anime club so I am going to guess you never had to be exposed to anime you actually hated and had to sit through the entire thing. You don't appear to have many dropped/on hold anime. Your average rating is high. I am going to guess, you are very good at determining by the picture on the outside, by the synopsis if you would like the show. AND you have never participated in anime in a very social way. because if you had, you would have seen a lot more anime you didn't like. I mean, rating anime below a 6 seems unfathomable to you except in dire circumstances.

You don't really explore out of your taste pallat much. Maybe you haven't had a period where you tired of what you loved before and needed to expand your taste.

Also being 21... you are going to generally JUST NOW start to experience anime being not intended for you. May even take until next year. But if you don't feel it, I am happy. But normally when people become not a teenager anymore, they have a major shift in anime preference.

I felt it it me right at 20. But I think it might even be different for men.

Fact is you need to face that you judge anime without watching it all the time.
Energetic-NovaJun 20, 2017 8:56 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 20, 2017 8:49 AM

Feb 2016
it is not wrong. but better not to do it
Jun 20, 2017 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
There's nothing wrong with dropping an anime. If you don't want to watch something don't bother yourself. It doesn't matte if it's one of the most popular anime. Think more about it makes it worse. I know from experience.
Lately, I just remove the anime I stop watching and consider it "unlisted". Now, I've been less compulsive about my list.
Jun 20, 2017 9:39 AM

Jan 2016
It really depends, i've dropped shows I know i'm not going to like from as early as episode 3. (Also, i'm probably going to give Inuyasha another try before you all get pissed that I dropped it.) Some of the shows I dropped at like 10+ because I know it's going to end up on hold for like half a year because it's such a chore to watch. I usually go more than 1 episode just to give the show a chance. I know I wanted to drop Accel World at episode 3 because of how slow it was moving, but after that little slug in the beginning, I ended up watching 20 episodes in sitting. So while I disagree that one episode is not enough to determine what the series will hold. By episode 3, you should have a pretty good idea. It's your choice though, I wanted to drop Mars of Destruction in the first 5 minutes, so i'm sure it's possible.
Jun 20, 2017 10:21 AM

Apr 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
The failure of the show not connecting/resonating with you lies with the content creators, it's their fault the show did not give you a positive impression or it's just not your thing.
You gotta be kidding, It's not the creators fault that he didn't like it, not everyone is alike so there are people like what the OP dislikes.
As if they can know everyone's likes, so those things they create are only intended for specific group of people.
It's the user's fault not taking a research on what they are watching (genre, illustrations, synopsis and PV)
Haters always gonna hate.
Jun 20, 2017 10:33 AM
May 2016
There's nothing wrong with that. You shouldn't force yourself to watch something you don't like just because people say "it gets better"
Jun 20, 2017 10:33 AM
Jun 2017
Well it's up to you..in my opinion I think that you should watch at least 2-3 episodes before dropping it because you can't really judge on one episode.
Jun 20, 2017 10:42 AM

Jun 2014
@Rayzer

I still stand by my standpoint, otherwise why do we give praise for content creators when it goes well. You see where I'm heading? Nobody is infallible when it comes to criticism, there will always be something to nag about which is what OP is insinuating. I know they're targeting a specific group but you should reasonably expect someone outwith the targeted demographic to stumble across the show. Isn't the norm to research shows before you start something? I wholeheartedly agree that its the user's problem for not researching thoroughly and it's not a long process either, so there should be no excuses for randomly not liking it.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 20, 2017 11:15 AM

Dec 2007
I see nothing wrong with anyone dropping any series at any point. It's their choice and they should not feel obligated to go further if they don't want to.

That being said, there's a minimum requirement for full rights to disparage (or praise) a series, and that's seeing it through to the end.
Jun 20, 2017 11:16 AM

May 2011
I used to be one of the watch the whole thing even if I don't like it, but then I realized the sheer volume of shows there are, so I dropped it to at least three for a good while. Then I became employees and had no patience so I just try shit on a whim even if I think it seems stupid and then when what I expected occurs I drop it. I'd rather spend time off enjoying what I'm watching than hating it or worse being completely indifferent or even bored. There are plenty of shows that are most likely solid 5s which I've dropped.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Jun 20, 2017 11:20 AM

May 2015
TheInfamousMaze said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

It's amazing how a story about soda can girls can be so boring and uninteresting.

What is your process?

I make a post for suggestions on Reddit. It takes a very long time, no one replies when you want them to.

Half kidding, I think of something that I want to see. A type of story, not using genres, but categories to find anime with very specific niches. There's an anime for everything out there, even flying helicopters(Rescue Wings, so good). Once I have a list of anime with specific things I want to see, I look at some spoiler free art. Do I want to watch this art style? Then I filter them out by genre which narrows the larger list. Would I rather watch Shounen or Seinen? Do I want something funny, or something serious? Must it have panty shots or exclude them completely? Then the sound, I listen to the OP and sometimes the ED. I check MAL and other sites to see if other people liked it or not, spoiler free recommendations. Sometimes I rely on reddit for help. Lastly, I research if it's different from the manga, because these days I prefer to watch a few episodes of an anime, just to memorize the voices, so I can use them while reading the manga. Why select the manga over the anime? it is the purest version, aside from maybe a light novel, and I'd rather read comics. I don't have to worry about if I disliked the music, or the production value for the anime wasn't sufficient. But most of all, the story doesn't end prematurely because the anime wasn't that long. That, in a nutshell, is my process.

I almost forgot, check the watch order and sometimes read order. I prefer experiencing everything as it's supposed to happen in a timeline.

I understand the choosing the specific things. I do it a lot with music. It also helps to find a greater variety of anime.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 20, 2017 11:42 AM

Dec 2015
There was one series where I dropped the show after 9 episodes out of 13!
In most circumstances I would just force myself to finish it, but after watching loads of anime just in general I can't be arsed to force myself to do anything I dont want to.
Jun 20, 2017 11:54 AM

Jul 2016
Of course not. You can drop whenever you feel the need to, be it the 1st or the 10th episode. I don't drop, but if I were, I would do so even from the first moments of listening to the OP. So never feel bad for leaving behind something that you don't like
Jun 20, 2017 11:58 AM
Aug 2011
I don't drop anime, but I only pick up ones for arbitrary reasons on how I feel or ones I am sure seem pretty good.

If I was found out to be wrong one way or another, well then I still finish it.
Jun 20, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2011
I try to complete everything I start, so I think it's stupid to drop something at any point. But no, obviously there's nothing inherently wrong with it... It doesn't matter.
Jun 20, 2017 12:23 PM

May 2015
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Kittens-kun said:

I have dropped in a similar timeframe myself. I don't mark them but yeah. >.> It is like I click the show on crunchy, check it out up to the song. Make judgments. And say "FUCK THIS SHIT IM OUT"

I donno. You were never in an anime club so I am going to guess you never had to be exposed to anime you actually hated and had to sit through the entire thing. You don't appear to have many dropped/on hold anime. Your average rating is high. I am going to guess, you are very good at determining by the picture on the outside, by the synopsis if you would like the show. AND you have never participated in anime in a very social way. because if you had, you would have seen a lot more anime you didn't like. I mean, rating anime below a 6 seems unfathomable to you except in dire circumstances.

You don't really explore out of your taste pallat much. Maybe you haven't had a period where you tired of what you loved before and needed to expand your taste.

Also being 21... you are going to generally JUST NOW start to experience anime being not intended for you. May even take until next year. But if you don't feel it, I am happy. But normally when people become not a teenager anymore, they have a major shift in anime preference.

I felt it it me right at 20. But I think it might even be different for men.

Fact is you need to face that you judge anime without watching it all the time.

I don't judge anything until I watch it. And I haven't dropped an anime yet because I haven't watched anything I felt was so bad to warrant it. I can tell that you think I'M the strange one here. That I'm a filthy casual that doesn't do any critical thinking about what he watches. That I'll just eat up whatever you throw at me, and never complain about it.

But to me, dropping something within such a short time span is is what's odd. Unless you felt what you saw was disturbing, disgusting, or that it was personally insulting and offensive, then I don't see a reason to drop so early. You can't tell me it was the story or the characters because you've barely had time to experience either of those aspects.

And I'm not directing that at flannan because his explanation was perfectly acceptable. If you feel like something is just too relateable, to the point where it brings back negative emotions or memories, then I think the logical thing to do would be to stop watching it.

I'm not against dropping shows, there's too much anime and not nearly enough time to watch it all. You'd obviously want to spend what limited time you have watching something you enjoy. I just think you should give every show a fair shake. I'm not saying to watch like half of it, just enough to actually grasp what it is you're watching, then weed out what you don't like.

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

44 by Lhundrup »»
6 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - 51 minutes ago

2 by Phosphophyllita »»
7 minutes ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan?

Ex-Aid - 1 hour ago

13 by Euhi »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - May 19

59 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 12 hours ago

24 by Daviljoe193 »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.