Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to drop an anime (12-25 eps) after 1 episode?

New
Jun 17, 2017 11:34 AM

Feb 2015
What is the minimum number of episodes that you consider appropriate to drop?
Honestly, I only drop after 1 episode if I really hate it and just did not like anything, it's pretty rare. I usually take a chance watching on average 4 to 5 episodes ... and about you?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2017 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
When i feel it is the right time to stop watching then i drop it. What can i do when show is so bad that that feeling come after first ep. Nothing wrong man.
Jun 17, 2017 11:37 AM

Oct 2013
I believe some say to give everything the 3 episode chance before dropping
I myself drop somethings after 1 episode
Jun 17, 2017 11:38 AM
Jul 2015
No, I don't think it is. If you feel like it ain't whether after 1 or 5 episodes, that's your decision! That's my opinion anyway!
Jun 17, 2017 11:38 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I just drop it whenever I get the impression it'll have no redeeming qualities past that point. Could be before with only a few episodes left in the series like I was with Haruhi, or it could be before I even finished the first episode like I was with PASWG. Could even be when it's something I liked but just didn't feel like watching it past that point and ended up going so long on my on-hold list that I went ahead and moved it to dropped, like with Saki or Tokyo Ravens.

I feel like there isn't necessarily a right or wrong time to drop something, I guess is what I'm trying to say. Just put some thought into setting your own parameters for it and go with what you feel would work best for you if you need a system to determine what you want to and don't want to drop.

Jun 17, 2017 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
I usually try to watch 2-3 episodes before I drop since it probably wont get much better after that. Some of the shows on my dropped list I have only watched 1 episode because they were absolutely terrible(Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna, Hourou Musuko, Jie Mo Ren, The SoulTaker: Tamashii-gari, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru).
Jun 17, 2017 11:40 AM

Mar 2015
rarely drop at 1st episode but if I am already yawning first ep I won't waste my time on the rest.

yeehaw
Jun 17, 2017 11:43 AM

Dec 2016
I force myself to finish a anime even if i don't like it
Jun 17, 2017 11:47 AM

Sep 2012
Well I will not say it is wrong but I try to watch at least 3 ep before dropping.

Jul 2013
I can understand why other people can drop a series after the first episode. Better quit something you are not going to enjoy than spending time torturing yourself.
In my case, as a completionist, I never drop anything, but only because I like to have a complete picture of the shows I watch.

Sep 2015
Never drop an anime(never drop an anime). Never give up( never give up). Never surrender(never surrender).
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher

Jul 2015
nah is not wrong
i prefer to give it at least 3-4 eps
Jun 17, 2017 11:51 AM

Jan 2014
drop if its a recaps or a season 2 show,

better to save your time from bullshiit than wasting it on bullshit
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jun 17, 2017 11:53 AM

Nov 2015
I would usually give at least 2-3 episodes however I have also dropped some at 1 because of being so freaking bad.
Jun 17, 2017 11:53 AM

May 2016
It is not "wrong" per se, it just might lead to inaccurate judgment and you might have just missed out on something enjoyable. Some series really take a while to get interesting(several episodes). Hell, the longest I personally experienced was clannad. It took like an entire season of clannad before afterstory really started to shine as the masterpiece it really is.
Jun 17, 2017 11:56 AM

Feb 2015
If I drop something after the first episode it has to be really bad. I usually try to watch 3 and then drop it if it doesn't get better.
But do whatever you want, it's not weird at all.
Jun 17, 2017 12:01 PM
Jun 2016
Of all the shows I've dropped I might've just as well quitted after the first episode. The only reason I've kept watching is because of that "3ep rule", but not one of the shows I've dropped redeemed themselves of the impression from the first episode.

So now if I start a new show and the gut feeling after ep.1 one is "not worth it" it gets 5 minutes of ep.2 to redeem itself. Few rarely does.
Jun 17, 2017 12:04 PM

Jul 2009
I myself do that all the time. If the anime is not appealing to me i drop an anime. Why waste my time watching an anime that i dont like? When i can spend it on an anime that i like?
Nothing in this world lasts forever, and it´s time you accept that.
It's better to not cling to these things that you will eventually lose.
Jun 17, 2017 12:13 PM
Aug 2015
I've dropped shows right at the end in the last 2 or so episodes and also shows at the first episode. You can drop a show whenever you feel like it and you will not be wrong. You don't owe a show a chance to impress you if you are really not feeling it.
Jun 17, 2017 12:18 PM

Feb 2010
Whether dropping is legit or stupid does not depend on when you drop something, but on the Why.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 17, 2017 12:24 PM

May 2015
Nah. You don't like it and don't want to waste time watching it? Then drop it. No one's forcing you to watch anyway...
Jun 17, 2017 12:31 PM
Mar 2013
It's my belief that the first episode of a series (excluding prologue episodes) is supposed to be one of the strongest entries into the series itself, setting the tone for everything to come. If it's weak and doesn't leave you wanting to see where it goes, there's no shame in dropping.

However, some series are infamous slow-starters and their build-ups and payoffs far exceed any expectations set by the opener. These are rare but prevalent enough. I use a combination of my own intuition and the general consensus of others who continue with something I may have let go. After all, nothing's stopping you from returning to a dropped series if it gets acclaim after the fact (For me, Overlord was a recent example of this phenomenon, not that I had necessarily dropped it).
Jun 17, 2017 12:32 PM

May 2016
i never dropped an animes and i will never dropp any. if the author made it that far to make a dream into an anime, IT WORTH to watch. even if its shit af. i have a habit. if i start to watch an anime, no matter how bad it is, i finish it. i watch all eps all specials all ovas. in my whole life there is only 1 anime which was a total waste of time but i finished just bcoz i started to watch it. anyway make some research before u start to watch something..

1 more thing. there is an anime called Claymore. its an old one. when i started to watch it was horrible. i think i watched 4 eps in 3 days. but after the 4th ep the whole story started to get better and i finished the rest of the anime in 2 days even tho i have full time job and i have busy life. Claymore is a really good example of how boring the beginning could be, but how AMAZING the story is! or there is Gantz. or even Bongou stray dogs. believe me if an anime comes out, its bcoz ppl think it worth to watch.

but u can dropp after a few mins too. ur life and u know what u do with it! like the 3.5x speed guy LoL
Jun 17, 2017 12:33 PM
Feb 2011
No. In no way is it wrong to drop an anime after the 1st episode. It's not wrong to drop it after 1 min either.
Jun 17, 2017 12:42 PM

Sep 2015
Yes, it is wrong. Once you start an anime it is illegal to stop watching it until the end. You must finish it.

.... Drop an anime when you feel you no longer have a reason to continue watching it. Whether that be the first 5 minutes, the first 5 episodes or at the last 5 episodes. There's no magic number; it will differ from person to person. Many people might stick to a 3-episode rule, but if that doesn't work for you then that doesn't work for you. All you should do is accept the fact that if you drop things from the first episode there could be many series you miss out on because you got the wrong impression from the first episode. Maybe you were in a bad mood or had things IRL distracting you, or maybe the first episode was just lacklustre. Had I dropped KonoSuba because of how boring the first episode was I would have missed out on what became one of my favourite series.
MazJun 17, 2017 12:46 PM
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jun 17, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2010
You don't need to force yourself to watch something you don't like. If it bothered you enough to drop it, then that's fine. If anything, the goal of anime should be to find enjoyment in what you're watching, whether if it's actual enjoyment or an entertaining wreck. There's nothing really lost, unless you find some sense of pride in having an empty Dropped list.

Jun 17, 2017 12:52 PM
Jun 2016
I normally just not realize when I'm stopping to watch an anime cause I'm the type of person that watches 2-3 anime in the same time. Hwv, whenever I realize hat I stopped watching one, then it does to my dropped list. U should just drop an anime whenever u feel like it.
Jun 17, 2017 12:55 PM

Feb 2013
It's wrong to drop anime in the first place.
The suffering makes you develop your taste and it also helps you finding "good" anime.
Jun 17, 2017 12:55 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
It's not wrong to drop it at episode 1 as long as you don't talk shit about it thinking like you know the particular show.
Jun 17, 2017 12:56 PM

Jun 2016
Personally, I very rarely drop anime, but if you feel like it's not worth watching there's nothing wrong with dropping it, even after only 1 episode.
Jun 17, 2017 12:56 PM

Mar 2017
I have a match to play, so here I'll just leave a relevant video.

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 17, 2017 1:04 PM

Aug 2016
Is it "wrong"? No. You are free to watch whatever you like after all.

However, not every series is going to wow you with its opening episode, some take a good few episodes before they start kicking off. Madoka Magica being a good example off the top of my head.
Jun 17, 2017 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
I depends on the anime. I recently finished undropping my dropped shows and there were only a couple I actually ended up liking. For the most part 1 episode is enough to determine if you're going to like the show or not. If you were going in expecting on thing and realized the show is taking a direction you don't like then continuing likely isn't going to improve your experience. I dropped Mirai Nikki after 1 episode and when I picked it back up and finished it I ended up hating it more than I did when I dropped it. On the other hand I ended up really liking Assassination Classroom which I also originally dropped first episode. You could ask in the recommendations board if any of your dropped anime are worth continuing since chances are most of them aren't. FMAB and Steins;Gate are two I would suggest picking back up since you dropped both in the shittier parts of them (they both improve a lot after episode 12), but it's all your choice. Trust your instincts but also recognize that not everything is as bad as it is episode 1. A lot of studios dump most of their budget in the first few episodes, but that doesn't meant those episodes are the most enjoyable.
Jun 17, 2017 1:24 PM

Jun 2016
I dont think it's wrong or right. I just feel you wont know where the anime is headed based off the first episode though especially animes that start off really slow or that are "boring" at first.
Jun 17, 2017 1:48 PM
Aug 2015
There's always the 4 episode rule. If nothing happens until then, it's most likely not worth it.
Jun 17, 2017 1:50 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
No, drop it whenever you want, don't waste anymore time.

I drop anime whenever I'm starting to dislike it.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jun 17, 2017 2:00 PM

Sep 2015
An anime doesn't even have to be bad for me to drop. Even after one episode. Most of my drops are simply just average, what couldn't interest me. One episode is more then enough to convince me that I don't want to finish something.
Jun 17, 2017 2:29 PM

Feb 2016
there is no rule, and u don't have any obligation to finish every stuff

really, just go for it

sometimes I drop in the first ep if I think it is strange or not my style

I can drop in more episodes if it is a seasonal anime and after a while I just don't feel interested anymore... or if I just get too annoyed with the characters or with the direction the story is taking is not something I like

And someone already said here that u can anytime try to watch again an anime in your dropped list (actually I intend to try evangelion and shaman king again one day)
Jun 17, 2017 3:27 PM

May 2017
It's never wrong.

Aside from the provided synopsis, genre, and demographic, watching just 1 episode is enough to be able judge if it is to your liking or not (e.g the art, a glimpse of what it is actually about). If you're still not sure, you could give it a couple of episodes more until you're decided.

Why put up with the anime you don't like if there are other anime out there that deserve your attention?

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

Jun 17, 2017 3:31 PM
Aug 2012
1-3 eps is enough to try out a show. If you hate it after ep 1 don't suffer through more.
Jun 17, 2017 3:36 PM

Oct 2016
It's up to you. Just do it whenever you want to.
Do we really have to estabilish a right time to do that?

*sighs*
Jun 17, 2017 3:37 PM
May 2015
If episode 1 is cringe then there is only one thing to do, speed up dramatically.
Jun 17, 2017 4:16 PM

Aug 2014
Yes. Yes it is. 1 episode is not enough to give you an idea of what to expect, there are plenty of shows where the 1st episode is okish but then it caught my interest with the 2nd or 3rd episode, which is also a good indication of whether you might enjoy the anime or not.
Jun 17, 2017 6:02 PM

Oct 2014
Depends how bad the first episode is to be honest. If it seems boring, i'll still give it a chance after ep 1, but if it sets up for a show full of cliches, fanservice etc, I may consider dropping it.
Jun 17, 2017 6:40 PM

Aug 2014
I've dropped anime during the 1st episode. Its fine to drop anime at any time. When I've dropped an anime during the 1st episode, its usually because I can tell its just not going to be for me in some form. Or I just wanted to see what it was like with no real interest going beyond that episode.
Jun 17, 2017 6:55 PM

Aug 2013
Drop when you feel to do so.
Most show try their best to have your attention especially in the first episode and show most of their faults and virtues in it -with their exceptions-, but if they just bore the shit out of you there's nothing worth in wasting time with a pointless -for you, at least- show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2017 7:00 PM

Aug 2015
No to 12 episodes, maybe for 25. I'd try watch 2 or 3 of a 25 episode series before dropping it. I've dropped a few 12 episode series within the first 10 min of watching.
Jun 17, 2017 7:13 PM
Jun 2017
no some animes are too shitty that you can't handle so you can drop them at ep 1
Jun 17, 2017 7:22 PM

Mar 2015
you can even avoid a series solely by picture... it's called first impression and nothing wrong with that... you can't judge the series as a whole, but you might know it is fit your taste or not...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 17, 2017 7:29 PM

Jan 2015
No it is not.

My minimum requirement is 23.9 fps

la critique de l'intention pure
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 1 hour ago

22 by Akuya »»
40 seconds ago

Poll: » Which of the big 3 do you think has the best music?

Akuya - 11 minutes ago

2 by Rhae »»
56 seconds ago

» Lifespan of an Anime fan? ( 1 2 )

Ex-Aid - 11 hours ago

62 by Zamus_Edits »»
2 minutes ago

» Courage the Cowardly Dog Anime

ZakuF_ - 2 hours ago

14 by Tirinchas »»
14 minutes ago

» What's the most interesting thing that came out of an anime girl's mouth?

Catalano - 3 hours ago

17 by Tirinchas »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.