Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to drop an anime (12-25 eps) after 1 episode?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 17, 2017 9:15 PM

Nov 2011
There aren't "wrong" reasons to drop per se, regardless of timing, but it does limit your ability to criticize the series if you're making wrong assumptions.

I'm nowhere near the point where the shows I'm trying are so likely to be worthless or even wasteful that I'd generally opt to drop so quickly, though. Patience can be rewarding at times, and I think it's particularly important for me right now since I'm mostly looking at shows with a good reputation relative to my tastes.
Jun 17, 2017 9:21 PM

Jun 2015
It's only wrong to care what others think about what and how you drop.

Jun 17, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2016
if you feel like dropping then drop it lol
Jun 17, 2017 9:30 PM

Oct 2015
3 examples,
i dropped some anime the fuck cant even remember the name, cause when i was watching it with my friend, the quality suddenly went into shit and became full static for 5 secs, on ep 1, so nope

fuuka cause ep 10, even tho i only watched that ep, thx diomeada fuck you

psyhic wars, cause fuck if i remember
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Jun 17, 2017 9:40 PM

Aug 2015
I don't think it's wrong though... I also do that pretty often to the point I didn't even put it on my anime list.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD

Nov 2009
Your question sounds like the title of a future LN adaptation...

Jan 2015
If I've already got a feeling that i don't like the anime, the way characters act, etc and don't think I'll change my opinion, I drop an anime whenever, doesn't matter if it's the first episode or the second last.

It's your own time so there can be nothing wrong with dropping an anime, even if anyone says it is wrong. I usually don't give a score to anime which I dropped so early though.
Jun 17, 2017 9:45 PM

Jan 2017
That is definitely dependent on the person watching, some people are put off by one element in an anime, either for personal, or political reasons, so dropping it is understandable if an anime seems like it's gonna have an abundance of something they can't stand. But if it doesn't have any immediate triggers, try giving it 3 episodes just to see if the basic premise interests you, if not, nothing wrong in moving on to watch something else.
Jun 17, 2017 10:06 PM

Apr 2017
I dropped an anime after the first frame, beat that ya one uppers
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jun 17, 2017 10:34 PM

Apr 2016
Never dropped anything so I dunno.

But no one should drop an anime after just one episode. Doesn't seem fair.
Jun 17, 2017 10:37 PM

Jun 2015
I don't really see a problem with it.
:)
Jun 17, 2017 11:38 PM

Jan 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:
literally it stand for moving image not still. you need watch the 2nd frame lul

la critique de l'intention pure
Jun 17, 2017 11:43 PM

Apr 2017
karambia said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

nope i understand youre jealous, pleb, but my superior anime watching skills allow me to predict the next frame with 100% accuracy.

Jun 17, 2017 11:44 PM

Jan 2010
it's not wrong especially if the anime is not what you're expecting to see.
What I don't quite agree however, when people score anime after only watching the first episode.
What you did is not wrong. People are free to drop an anime, and if you feel like you won't enjoy the anime since the first episode, it's best to just drop it than wasting more of your time.
Jun 18, 2017 12:08 AM

Jan 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:
karambia said:

nope i understand youre jealous, pleb, but my superior anime watching skills allow me to predict the next frame with 100% accuracy.
lol, why did you offend me. technically u need to watched it tho lol

And I'll just straightly admire you in this stupidity and trolling frame contest

Jun 18, 2017 12:25 AM

Apr 2017
karambia said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

And I'll just straightly admire you in this stupidity and trolling frame contest

technically i understand you are on just on a way lower level, its ok

thanks for taking the bait lmaoo

Jun 18, 2017 12:31 AM

Jan 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:
karambia said:

[size]thanks for taking the bait lmaoo[/size]
literally there's no more blurry than this bait eating bait "world", but when someone with superiority issue, lol

Jun 18, 2017 12:39 AM

Apr 2017
karambia said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

[size]thanks for taking the bait lmaoo[/size]
literally there's no more blurry than this bait eating bait "world", but when someone with superiority issue, lol

hmmm that doesnt make much sense but yes yes it's bait all the way down, they say mine tastes the best ;)

Jun 18, 2017 12:40 AM
Jul 2016
I think it's a bit harsh to drop it right off the bat atleast give it a chance up to 3rd episode :3 when you can't really continue watching it, you can drop it without regret or pity :) its just my opinion.
Jun 18, 2017 12:40 AM

May 2015
I think dropping it after 1 episode, even if it sucks, is too early to judge. You barely had time to understand the methods, techniques, themes and overall feel of the anime. Nothing wrong with doing it, but I'd say you might be missing out and should give the anime a few more episodes.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 18, 2017 12:49 AM

Jan 2015
Ikaros_42oh said:

hmmm that doesnt make much sense but yes yes it's bait all the way down, they say mine tastes the best ;)
why did you wink on me
Hmm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ?

Jun 18, 2017 12:51 AM

Jul 2015
Never dropped anime on first episode (except Koufukku Grafitti), but mostly on eps 2.
If I dropped anime under 3 episode, that anime doesn't get into my dropped list.
And yeah, nothing wrong with dropping anime in the beginning if you don't like it.

There is no rules that prohibit you to drop anime after first eps or later on after all.
Jun 18, 2017 12:52 AM
May 2015
Why does this matter? You have no obligation to consume media. The insecurity...

Apr 2016
Shicchi said:

What I don't quite agree however, when people score anime after only watching the first episode.

But you can easily change the score afterwards.

Apr 2017
karambia said:
Ikaros_42oh said:

why did you wink on me
Hmm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ?

lenny me up baby mmmmhhhh yeahhh ill wink all over you

Jun 18, 2017 12:56 AM

Jun 2017
If you can tell the anime is pretty boring or not your style after watching the first episode it is totally understandable to drop it. I'd suggest to give it at least another episode or two because a show can start to pick up and get better with some time and hope.
Jun 18, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2008
Prevention is the best medicine. I used to give an anime 2 eps and then decide whether to continue, but now I use a lengthy process to select the anime. By the time I watch an anime, I already know I'll like what the anime is about, so now it's up to luck. Does the anime itself wow me? Using this process, I'll never again stumble onto a mediocrely animated serial about soda cans that turn into 1 dimensional girls. Ever.
Jun 18, 2017 1:20 AM

Jun 2015
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww dropping an anime so weak
Jun 18, 2017 1:52 AM

Oct 2015
nothing wrong with that, if that show is already that bad at the beginning of the episode then just drop it, don't waste anymore time for that series.

Click the spinning
ghost for delivery (~‾▽‾)~
Jun 18, 2017 2:03 AM

Jul 2015
well i will prefer you to give it a try (in future)
if the anime is cough* nisekoi cough* then drop it!
Jun 18, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2010
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Shicchi said:

I mean, when you dropped an anime after only watched first couple episodes and still leave a score.

It's not that I care, I just a little pissed when people score an anime without completing it or even watched half of it.
Jun 18, 2017 2:58 AM

Apr 2011
No, it's not. If an anime cannot catch your attention with the first episode, which is the sole purpose of the first episode, then it's not worth your time.

Maybe it gets better later on, who knows? But are you really willing to spend 4-8 hours on something only to find out that you would have been right to stop after the first 24 minutes?

Let's say you drop it, but it gets better after the second or third episode: you can always try it again. But if it takes half the series to get better, is it honestly worth it?
Jun 18, 2017 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
YES, it is quite retarded to drop after the first episode. I personally give it a minimum of 3 episodes when 1 cour, and around 6-7 when 2 cours.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 18, 2017 11:34 AM

Dec 2013
I don't think it's wrong, if I didn't like it from the first episode then I will find the other episodes boring so I drop it.
Jun 18, 2017 11:44 AM
Mar 2016
There are anime that get better with every episode and there anime that get worst with every episode maybe give it a few episodes than see if you want to drop it
Jun 18, 2017 11:50 AM

Jul 2015
No I've dropped anime after 1 episode before but I think it's more questionable to drop at 11/12 or 24/25 episodes.
Jun 18, 2017 11:53 AM

Jun 2011
What is more stupid than an idiot who clicks into something with too much fanservice for him on episode one but watches it to completion just to bitch about it? Honestly, drop on ep 1. I will respect your opinion more actually. I had a reason I watched all of Junjo Romantica even though I did not like it. I like yaoi. lol. But you click in. It is yaoi. You can tell probably from the cover image. Well if you watch more than one ep, I am going to think you have a guilty pleasure or are really really stupid.

Watching something like Eromanga Sensei and not rooting for the incest when you have seen more than an episode is stupid. Even if I think the show is dumb for different reasons. Stupid idiot! You knew it wasn't going to be good for you from the start! Why bother?
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 18, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 2011
Shicchi said:
Omkar_Nagwade said:

I mean, when you dropped an anime after only watched first couple episodes and still leave a score.

It's not that I care, I just a little pissed when people score an anime without completing it or even watched half of it.

Why? I want to avoid it. I want to remind myself:Jou you thought this anime was really shitty and not fun. Don't go back unless you have to.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jun 18, 2017 4:13 PM

Oct 2008
Maybe the real reason for the 3 episode rule: You have to watch 1/5 for your score to count on MAL so if you watch 3 episodes of a 12 episode anime you can score it and have it count. However, I don't necessarily think its right to watch 3 episodes of something you hate just so you can have your score count. I sometimes decide if I will watch from the opening credits, some anime I dropped at the very beginning.
Jun 18, 2017 6:33 PM

Jan 2011
If I drop anime after just 1 episode I usually revisit the series later to finish it or at least watch few more episodes to have a bigger grasp on it. But I don't consider
droping it after 1 ep. a bad thing. I would only think so if someone dropped the series and gave it a score (of 1 let's say) after first ep.
Jun 18, 2017 6:48 PM

Oct 2016
nah, i dropped SAO2 in like 3 ep, cause i know its gonna be shit, and guess what

im right.
Jun 18, 2017 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
Well this might sound contradictory because I dropped Warau Salesman New around 1 episode but for the most part I personally think it's wrong. Why? Because you can't really base the show in its entirety based on one episode if its going to be actually shit or not.

The only thing you can tell if it's just in your interest to keep on going or not in some sense... XD Maybe its considered the same for people but I say that for my application.
Jun 18, 2017 7:14 PM
May 2017
No, it isn't wrong, but a time waste if you consider the mind and soul process needed to enter the story and its characters only to throw it all out before giving a fair chance.

Don't you think it's better to choose more wisely animes and mangas to watch and read?
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jun 18, 2017 10:00 PM

Apr 2017
It has to be like really really bad for me to drop at just one episode, I don't think I've done that. The quickest I dropped Anime was Knights of Sidonia, I think I lasted 3 episodes.

I remember not liking at all the first Berserk episode, good thing I kept watching though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2017 11:30 PM
Jul 2018
No, but I suggest you watch the first 5 episodes. If they are boring to you, drop it.
Jun 18, 2017 11:32 PM

Jul 2012
Just drop it if you ain't feeling it.

I usually go for more, mostly because I've downloaded it on my hard drive beforehand.
Jun 19, 2017 4:13 AM

Mar 2017
Better than spend your limited time watching something you most likely will hate.

I only have done it one time: Kill la Kill. I truly hated the art style, humor, overhaul premise... Maybe one day will give it another chance but i doubt it.
Jun 19, 2017 7:33 AM

May 2015
TheInfamousMaze said:
Prevention is the best medicine. I used to give an anime 2 eps and then decide whether to continue, but now I use a lengthy process to select the anime. By the time I watch an anime, I already know I'll like what the anime is about, so now it's up to luck. Does the anime itself wow me? Using this process, I'll never again stumble onto a mediocrely animated serial about soda cans that turn into 1 dimensional girls. Ever.

It's amazing how a story about soda can girls can be so boring and uninteresting.

What is your process?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 19, 2017 7:38 AM

Jun 2016
Mrgoodtaste said:
no some animes are too shitty that you can't handle so you can drop them at ep 1

I somehow agree with you, but most of the time I don't drop them, I'll just include them in my On Hold, then I'll get back to it when I feel like giving it a chance.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jun 19, 2017 8:03 AM

Feb 2016
Why make yourself sit through something that you don't want to watch? I don't list the anime I drop after 1 episode but I have done it many times and I will keep doing so.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Recommendations of Disappointment ( 1 2 )

JaaShooUhh - Jun 12

64 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

42 by pludel2 »»
11 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - 11 hours ago

24 by Kruszer »»
12 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 7 hours ago

28 by TsutanaiFuun »»
22 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

118 by Zakception »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.