Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen' Receives TV Anime for Winter 2018

New
Nov 27, 2016 4:44 AM

Nov 2007
The January 2017 issue of Kodansha's Nakayoshi magazine, which will go on sale on December 1, has announced that the new Cardcaptor Sakura anime project will be a TV anime adaptation of the sequel manga Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen, scheduled to premiere in Winter 2018 on NHK. The new anime will be directed by Morio Asaka at Madhouse, the director of the first TV anime and the two movies. The following cast members from the first TV series will be reprising their roles in the new anime.

Cast
Sakura Kinomoto: Sakura Tange
Keroberos: Aya Hisakawa
Tomoyo Daidouji: Junko Iwao
Shaoran Li: Motoko Kumai
Yukito Tsukishiro: Megumi Ogata
Touya Kinomoto: Tomokazu Seki

In commemoration of the original manga's 20th anniversary this year, manga artist group CLAMP launched the Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen sequel manga in July 2016 issue of Nakayoshi magazine on June 3. The first compiled volume of the manga (pictured) is scheduled to be released on December 2.

The Cardcaptor Sakura manga was adapted into a 70-episode TV anime by Madhouse, which aired between April 1998 and March 2000. The first movie premiered in August 1999 and a second one titled Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card followed in July 2000, serving as a continuation of the TV anime. NIS America licensed the TV anime for North American distribution and re-released the series in BD/DVD in August 2014. Tokyopop initially published the manga in English in North America from March 2001 to August 2003 before Dark Horse Comics re-licensed the series and published the volumes in 3-in-1 omnibus format between October 2010 and September 2012.

Source: Nijipoi

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen on MAL
tsubasaloverSep 20, 2017 5:16 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 27, 2016 4:47 AM
Sep 2015
wow, childhood anime returning
Nov 27, 2016 4:48 AM

Nov 2011
A long wait but will be worth it. I can't wait for this to air tbh.
Nov 27, 2016 4:50 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Whoa nice!

So long, but it's Cardcaptor Sakura they're talking about, it should be worth the wait

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 27, 2016 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
It's good that the original staff and cast is returning, but i hope they don't f*ck it up.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Nov 27, 2016 5:11 AM

Dec 2014
This is awesome news.
I was considering picking up the manga at some point, Guess now I'll just wait for the anime.
Nov 27, 2016 5:21 AM

Jul 2007
How will this be even possible considering the original show declined into filler and anime original nonsense and does not exactly fit with the manga canon?

Or will the anime adaptation will follow that example and burn in fluffy filler hell too?
Nov 27, 2016 5:26 AM

May 2012
Loved the original anime. Glad the director and the main casts will be the same. Hope the new one will be as good as the original. The wait is quite long but all worth it, hope it's over 20+ eps long.

Nov 27, 2016 5:26 AM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
How will this be even possible considering the original show declined into filler and anime original nonsense and does not exactly fit with the manga canon?

Or will the anime adaptation will follow that example and burn in fluffy filler hell too?
since the manga is a squal and considering what happening there i imegine it will work somehow
Nov 27, 2016 5:28 AM
Jun 2011
chaosflame5 said:
Loved the original anime. Glad the director and the main casts will be the same. Hope the new one will be as good as the original. The wait is quite long but all worth it, hope it's over 20+ eps long.
yes the long we wait the more chapters they will get to adapt and until 2018 we will have pretty enough
Nov 27, 2016 5:30 AM

Jul 2014
Fuck yes. It may not have been a childhood anime of mine and I may have only watched it this year, but I love it all the same and I can't wait.
Nov 27, 2016 5:34 AM

Jul 2007
elior1 said:
Fai said:

since the manga is a squal and considering what happening there i imegine it will work somehow

The manga is sequel to CCS manga. Which had completely different story and characterization and tone for the final few arcs. And completely different message and endgame.
Its impossible to make it work for the anime version.
Nov 27, 2016 6:13 AM

May 2010
I've never seen the original CCS series, so it's high time to finally do it I guess? Especially since the new series will be animated by Madhouse, I can't imagine them screwing it up.
Nov 27, 2016 6:17 AM

Nov 2007
I am more excited about this than the other news just above it. I don't care as long as I get to see more Sakura and Syaoran and Tomoyo and Meiling and Kero-chan and Yuki and Touya!

It's gonna be a long wait!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Nov 27, 2016 6:37 AM

Mar 2016
Guess I should watch the movies, but can't wait to see this :D
Nov 27, 2016 6:50 AM

Jul 2007
shanimebib said:
I am more excited about this than the other news just above it. I don't care as long as I get to see more Sakura and Syaoran and Tomoyo and Meiling and Kero-chan and Yuki and Touya!

You DO realize that Meiling is a filler character not in the original manga?

So if this is an actual adaptation sh ewon't be there.
Nov 27, 2016 6:59 AM

Nov 2007
Fai said:
shanimebib said:

I haven't read the manga so I guess she won't be haha! But I loved her nonetheless. She may appear even if it's an actual adaptation like Sasada Jun from Natsume Yuujinchou. Although Sasada was not a filler character, she was never a recurring character in the manga. :)
Coronavirus.
Nov 27, 2016 7:11 AM

Jul 2007
shanimebib said:
Fai said:

I haven't read the manga so I guess she won't be haha! But I loved her nonetheless. She may appear even if it's an actual adaptation like Sasada Jun from Natsume Yuujinchou. Although Sasada was not a filler character, she was never a recurring character in the manga. :)

Unless they decide to outright ignore the previous anime(like they did with TRC with Tokyo Revelations OVA just adapting manga chapters ignoring the anime existed) or re-adapt the manga from start till the new sequel manga content(which would take them around ~20-ish episodes to go through the original CCS), they would have to pretty much change the entire plotline of the sequel manga anyway so they might add her or do some other usual controversial changes.
Nov 27, 2016 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
Thank god for Madhouse, I was afraid it would end up with some generic studio. But I guess after tsubasa Clamp wouldn't want that.
I had to stop reading because monthly manga is a pain, but I might come back to it since the anime is so close (but so far away).
So I suppose it will completely ignore the anime huh... well I can live with that. I actually like the filler episodes.
Life is so weird, when I was a child all I could ever want was more CCS, but now as an adult and after seeing lots of cows being milked and stories with good closed endings being messed up I think it's better to leave things alone.
Anyway I'll do my best to enjoy it after all I still love CCS with all my heart.
Baby, daijobanai...
Nov 27, 2016 7:16 AM

Nov 2007
Fai said:
shanimebib said:

Unless they decide to outright ignore the previous anime or re-adapt the manga from start till the new sequel, they would have to pretty much change the entire plotline of the sequel manga anyway so they might add her or do some other usual controversial changes.

You mean like they (MADHOUSE) did for HxH? I wouldn't mind it if they did! The more I get, the better it would be. And the manga has been in my PTR for ages now. That would help if they decide to adapt the manga without changing the story or such as you have pointed out.
Coronavirus.
Nov 27, 2016 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
This is a pleasant surprise, finally a good Madhouse anime again.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 27, 2016 7:29 AM

Sep 2013
Madhouse saving anime :'(
Gotta rewatch this.

Fai said:

The anime it's own thing and better than the manga, so I hope they do add filler and change stuff since the cc manga sequel looks mediocre so far.
Nov 27, 2016 8:04 AM

Jul 2013
I guess it's time for me to read the CCS manga now. God, I hope they make a reboot of Tsubasa Chronicle that follows the manga faithfully.
Nov 27, 2016 8:12 AM

Nov 2008
I get the feeling this will only be 12 episodes long, not good, at least give it 2 seasons of 24 episodes each.

Nov 27, 2016 8:46 AM
Sep 2015
The same cast than 20 years ago, wow
Nov 27, 2016 9:24 AM

Oct 2012
OH, I'm so excited!
Nov 27, 2016 10:11 AM

Jun 2014
Well this will give me enough time to get around to watching the original.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Nov 27, 2016 10:42 AM

Dec 2015
Oh great, simultaneous weekly broadcast and monthly publication. This will be a long, long anime...
edit: ah no, the manga will probably be nearing its end in 2018.

I wonder if CLAMP will maintain its politic of simplification this time. Because after all in the anime Fujitaka was never stated to be the second half-reincarnation of Clow and never received his share of magic.

Rei_IIINov 27, 2016 11:57 AM
Nov 27, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2007
Rei366 said:
Oh great, simultaneous weekly broadcast and monthly publication. This will be a long, long anime...

I wonder if CLAMP will maintain its politic of simplification this time. Because after all in the anime Fujitaka was never stated to be the second half-reincarnation of Clow and never received his share of magic.

Since the manga very much is bound to relate to events of TRC, I doubt it.

That's the main problem to be honest. The implications of second half of story are completely different in previous anime project and in the manga.

Barring re-adapting the manga all over again or ignoring the previous show its nigh impossible to adapt. Frankly I hope for re-adaptation as that would give anime bigger gap before it catches up to the new manga.
Nov 27, 2016 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
I have not seen the original CCS series but from a friend of mine she pretty much loved it a lot, so well considering this will come around in 2018 it might give me more time to watch the original honestly, if I don't slack off that is.

But good news to the announcement and season airing even though it is early like jack shit.
Nov 27, 2016 2:13 PM

Aug 2014
Nice, gives me a bit more of time to check out the original until then.
Nov 27, 2016 2:56 PM

Mar 2008
Very nice, I just hope they stick with the anime continuity given the anime and manga went off on different directions. I didn't read the manga and I don't care. Let's not spin a web trying to remotely connect the more convoluted elements of the TRC universe back to this.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Nov 27, 2016 7:43 PM

Apr 2013
OMFG YEEEEEEEES!!!! My beautiful childhood is back!!!
I'm really happy for this, great news!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2016 9:28 PM

Apr 2014
January 2018? Get out! This ridiculous announcements really gone too far.
A lot of things could happen in a few months but in 2018?
This damn Japanese really wants to get more cash, doesn't they?
Haters always gonna hate.
Nov 27, 2016 10:18 PM

Jul 2007
ShadowBlazer3000 said:
Very nice, I just hope they stick with the anime continuity given the anime and manga went off on different directions. I didn't read the manga and I don't care. Let's not spin a web trying to remotely connect the more convoluted elements of the TRC universe back to this.

The only reason CCS manga even got a sequel is trc-related multiverse
Nov 27, 2016 11:23 PM
Jun 2011
Fai said:
ShadowBlazer3000 said:

The only reason CCS manga even got a sequel is trc-related multiverse
i been reading all of tsubasa chronical manga and i dont see how it related to the saqual with the clear cards
Nov 28, 2016 1:03 AM

Oct 2016
I'm seriously looking forward to this.

It's a long wait that's worth the wait.
Nov 28, 2016 10:43 AM

Jan 2016
too much wait but yayyyyyyyyyyy
Nov 28, 2016 4:05 PM

Sep 2010
YES!

I was just worried whether or not Madhouse would be the studio. This wait is nothing compared to Final Fantasy XV and other series. (*≧∀≦*)

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Nov 28, 2016 11:20 PM

Feb 2014
Glad that the cast wasn't changed.
Nov 29, 2016 6:30 AM

Oct 2012
2018 is sooo far!
I'm very happy about this ^-^
I am no bird and no net ensnares me
- Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
Nov 30, 2016 12:43 PM
Dec 2011
I'm still happy even though I've yet to watch the original lol.
Nov 30, 2016 1:24 PM
Mar 2016
I've been waiting for this for long time and can't explain my excitement!!!!!!
Sep 20, 2017 2:18 AM

Nov 2007
Clear Card-hen key visual, website open, and January 7, 2018 7:30 a.m. premiere. PV on September 22, 2017.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/ccsakura/
tsubasaloverSep 24, 2017 5:46 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
3 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
5 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
6 hours ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.