Forum Settings
Forums
Dragon Head
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2008 8:34 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What in the world happened in the end? Was the disaster caused by Mt. Fuji or some international conspiracy? Discuss.
Dec 10, 2008 7:22 AM

Dec 2007
I belive that none.
There's are rivers of lava running deep undergroud the whole planet. In Dragon Head, the lava rivers surfaced.
I believe it's simply nature's work.
It has happened before ... if I'm not mistaken ... a vulcano surfacing where there didn't use to be one before.
Mar 16, 2009 6:05 PM

Oct 2007
I don´t like the ending, they all probably died out there... I was totaly Nimura and Ako fan, he should leave alone, so they could be together...
But I gave it a 10... great manga
http://dunderheads.weebly.com/

ever had this urge to stalk a person on MAL and read/watch everything they read/watched?

I had.
May 5, 2009 1:54 PM

Dec 2007
DreamGazer said:
I belive that none.
There's are rivers of lava running deep undergroud the whole planet. In Dragon Head, the lava rivers surfaced.
I believe it's simply nature's work.
It has happened before ... if I'm not mistaken ... a volcano surfacing where there didn't use to be one before.

second it. that huge cloud of ash was definitely a volcano work. and black rain too. if it was nukes they would die or suffer from poisoning, but they didn't. and that hole was cause all the lava supporting it changed direction and Fuji just collapsed. and in respect that Japan is an earthquake zone it easily spread all through the country.
the more puzzling thing is the source of those strange supplies and experiments. and why rescue forces spoke fluent Japanese??? o_0
Jul 30, 2009 3:58 AM

Apr 2009
yeah the whole medicine story was really weird, it was already strange that the majority of the survivors were nuts, but it went overboard with the brain surgery kids.

otherwhise it was really intense and thrilling
Sep 14, 2009 9:52 PM

Apr 2008
What kinda bullshit was that...? I think I just dropped its score from a 7 to a 6 for wasting my time with that worthless ending.

Obviously, most of the disaster was simply techtonic shifts that caused the huge earthquakes and the violent Mt. Fuji eruption, which also caused all the clouds, ash and what not. The second volcano was most likely caused when the giant pit (Mt Fuji) destroyed itself with its explosion and the lava traveled underground to Tokyo and created a new pressure point exit. Moving volcanos happen a lot, its how the entire Hawaiian islands were formed.

But all that crap about nukes and stuff at the end was just confusion for confusion's sake...
And what was the military saying about electromagnetic waves? It's like the author decided to change his mind on what happened in the last volume or something...

The entire last couple chapters were just plain ridiculous and just added in a bunch of loose ends that weren't tied up at the finish.

Really, I'm really pissed I wasted about a week and a half of my like on this manga now...
Dec 15, 2009 6:06 PM

Jan 2008
Scynt_Skunk said:
But all that crap about nukes and stuff at the end was just confusion for confusion's sake...

And what was the military saying about electromagnetic waves? It's like the author decided to change his mind on what happened in the last volume or something...

The military nuke stuff was just further exploring the idea that humans create things to fear all the time. The manga didn't really get sidetracked by it enough for it to become a problem for me though. It was just providing some worldwide context to the Japanese disaster, I was glad for it really. Plus we got some nice zombie v soldier action.

The entire last couple chapters were just plain ridiculous and just added in a bunch of loose ends that weren't tied up at the finish.

Really, I'm really pissed I wasted about a week and a half of my like on this manga now...

Eh? What loose ends? Either the kids die or they somehow survive. What other loose ends are there in that scenario? I'd rather just leave them there under that concrete cover happy to be together in the face of death and misery, than the author wrapping everything with a nice fake bow.

The ending, and those last panels, was actually pretty good, I thought. At the end of the day, humans will not give up hope and cave in to fear. They'll rebuild and plough on as always, just...with a gigantic volcano where Tokyo used to be.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 19, 2009 9:27 PM

Jun 2007
"The slowest, most filler-filled manga I've ever encountered. The focus was so much on aimless wandering, insane people and monster metaphors that what mattered got ignored. And it ended at a random point, with NOTHING explained or resolved." - from my tags.

Dragon Head's ending has to rank as the worst ending ever. After countless filler chapters, involving running from random nutjobs, wandering around ruined areas and, at the end, some fear cult bullshit, it just ended. After drawing the story out for 40+ chapters more than needed, not even the reason for Japan turning into hell was revealed? Wonderful. What a complete waste of my not-so-precious time.

I don't know why a new volcano appeared (the translation referred to it as Mt. Fuji..), and I don't care. I don't think the mangaka did, either - he/she couldn't have been more vague.

If the story had started before the disaster, introducing the characters and showing how they acted before everything went to hell, it would've been more involving from the start. If flashbacks had been used effectively, rather than there being an endless amount of filler chapters and pointless/totally needless discussions about fear with monster metaphors, it would've showed the 'before and after' of the character's lives; making the new hellish world disturbing to see. If Teru and Aoki had become romantically involved, it would've added more danger; making readers fear for their relationship.

(Basically, I should've re-read Battle Royale instead!)

...If, if, if. The characters never became anything other than cardboard cutouts because of the mangaka not handling them right. And when that's put together with a mostly aimless story that never goes anywhere, which ended in the worst way possible (without a proper ending), you're left with an empty shell that, in truth, isn't worth reading.

I regret reading all 89 chapters because of the hope it'd improve. It never did. I dropped my score from 6/10 to 5/10.
AironicallyHumanDec 19, 2009 9:44 PM
Jan 13, 2010 4:12 PM

Apr 2008
Beatnik said:

Eh? What loose ends? Either the kids die or they somehow survive. What other loose ends are there in that scenario? I'd rather just leave them there under that concrete cover happy to be together in the face of death and misery, than the author wrapping everything with a nice fake bow.

The ending, and those last panels, was actually pretty good, I thought. At the end of the day, humans will not give up hope and cave in to fear. They'll rebuild and plough on as always, just...with a gigantic volcano where Tokyo used to be.

Not with the characters, all that was clear, but with the country and planet. There were so many questions left unanswered about what really exactly happened and why, which was the entire reason I was reading anyway since the characters were such worthless pieces of human filth I stopped caring about them in any capacity within the first 10 chapters, that it made the time spent on this manga completely worthless.
Aug 4, 2011 12:53 AM

Mar 2009
WTF. That's it?
Oct 21, 2011 6:50 AM

Mar 2010
I'm rather disappointed with the ending.
I feel like there was a big build up that ultimately evolved into nothing :I

All that hope that's described at the end is sort of a laugh to; as it looks all of Japan is pretty much fucked forever~

Though I don't think reading this was a waste of time really/

Oct 25, 2011 11:16 AM
May 2008
Beatnik said:
Scynt_Skunk said:

The military nuke stuff was just further exploring the idea that humans create things to fear all the time. The manga didn't really get sidetracked by it enough for it to become a problem for me though. It was just providing some worldwide context to the Japanese disaster, I was glad for it really. Plus we got some nice zombie v soldier action.

I totally agree. I felt the ending had little to no loose ends and can be interpreted as either a bright and hopeful future or a bleak and bitter sweet end to Ako and Teru's journey.

I forgot most posts in this topic are opinions of complete weaboos, that want a moe happily ever after ending where everything is perfect wrapped up without any sense of mystery and the guy gets the girl... /rant.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jun 5, 2012 9:50 AM

Apr 2009
AironicallyHuman said:
"The slowest, most filler-filled manga I've ever encountered. The focus was so much on aimless wandering, insane people and monster metaphors that what mattered got ignored. And it ended at a random point, with NOTHING explained or resolved." - from my tags.

Dragon Head's ending has to rank as the worst ending ever. After countless filler chapters, involving running from random nutjobs, wandering around ruined areas and, at the end, some fear cult bullshit, it just ended.

I don't see how running from nutcases who can't handle the whole destruction of Japanese civilization is to be considered filler chapters, really. It was all part of their struggle for survival that blended nicely into the story.

I must say though, that the end came rather unexpected and left me with some unsatisfied feelings, even though it was probably one of the best endings that the author could give it. That's mostly the problem with a great story, making an end to it is really hard for it not feel fake or forced.

Jun 20, 2012 12:07 PM

Jul 2010
I really wish the story elaborated more on the medicated odd-jobs. Or the 'dragon heads'.
Totally obscure. The ending is probably the worst ending I've ever read. Ending spontaneously and not answering any questions that were created by the manga really isn't satisfactory. Kind of feels like the manga lost funding or something and couldn't continue or something. I wouldn't say it was a waste of time to read this manga, I just really wish that there were answers to the questions that I have about the plot-line, especially because there's too much left to speculation. :I
Aug 15, 2012 8:28 PM

Jan 2012
OMG! That was one of the worst endings ever...
Aug 30, 2012 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
I felt a bit disappointed because i wasn't expecting this sudden ending... but thinking twice, remembering everything what the characters felt, fought for, life or death, survival, fear, craziness, zombi, ultimate fear, monster, darkness, and by the end watch the view of the end of the world with someone you want to be with, just feeling... happy... i realized that this is actually one the best ending i ever read.
Sep 30, 2012 1:50 AM
Feb 2012
So...I guess we won't be seeing a sequel or anime ever, huh?

RIP Iwada, you were a true bro.
Nov 9, 2012 2:44 AM

Jan 2011
the ending is quite open, nothing much explained about the cause of the castatrophe

we dont even know they will survive or die, but at least they were together at the end...
Mar 18, 2013 2:40 AM

Apr 2007
Eh, quite a terrible ending to a mediocre manga.
Aug 2, 2013 12:56 PM

Jun 2011
I feel like the whole thing with the pain guys and the conspiracy were useless. The last few pages were beautiful though.
Aug 18, 2013 12:05 PM

Feb 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:
WTF. That's it?

same here i was expecting the ''good ending'' but noooo~ everyone died >=(
I'am Thou And Thou Art I...And we're a HAPPY FAMILY!!!
Dec 18, 2013 9:18 AM

Jul 2012
It's a good series, but I just didn't like it that much. Characters were hard to relate to and I felt like it dragged on. Plus, the ending was such a let down. Definitely has its moments though. Great foreshadowing and art.
Jan 2, 2014 1:00 PM

Aug 2009
The ending was fine.And by ending I mean the final pages.

The problem is that this "fear is an inner monster" thing was redundant as hell.The first "dragon head" made it look like there is something VERY important behind it but in the end it was nothing.THen we got all the crazies killing people for some reason even they dont know.Literally.They dont even know themselves.

This fear shit should have ended when they left the old woman and just be a survival story after that, without saying the same thing over and over again.
Apr 30, 2014 10:25 PM
Apr 2014
I feel there was one of the bombs planted near the base of Mount Fuji (one of the 3 secretly hidden bombs) and when the magma began to rise it detonated the bomb and completely destroyed the entire mountain and made that huge crater. Crazy ish.

Anyways the the other volcano surfaced probably from the plate tectonics shifting and then bursting upwards as the geothermic energy (plus the energy from the shifting plates) sprang upwards forming the upside down cone shape of the volcano, hokus pokus, new volcano.

From the start I new it was a volcano since a nuclear blast would have killed everyone (from radiation) and radios be used since anyone in the area would be dead from radiation (especially since it took them almost 2 weeks to get out of the tunnel). But even before they got out of the tunnel, the entire underground area was getting hot and once Teru returned from the air vents and there was that blast next to the train it looked like a lava jet. Oh and in the beginning scene where Teru sees an explosion from the trains window, it didn't really look like a nuke blast.

Pretty good story overall. I got into the mood and it made me think of my own living situations; and how grateful I should be. Ily Manga
Aug 1, 2014 1:06 PM

Aug 2012
So, did they die or not? Actually we aren't sure about this. Theoretically... It'd be hard to survive such a thing, but on the other hand, they didn't show them dying, and his last words, "I don't know how this new world will be but it'll be a world full of beauty" (something like that) are kind of confusing.

Anyhow, I gave it a 5/10. Well, the characters weren't great (even if I became attached to Ako and Teru towards the end), many moments were annoying, I didn't really like the art (even if I appreciated that it changes from the usual nowadays art), the dragon head explication was farfetched ... It was so so.
Apr 18, 2015 1:23 PM
Jan 2012
Idk why I didn't drop it earlier
5/10
May 7, 2015 9:05 PM

Nov 2011
Overall, liked this series although I felt there were a few pacing problems here and there. Fear definitely played a prominent theme throughout the majority of the story from the very beginning towards the end imo.

The finale imo was somewhat disappointing but didn't ruin the series overall so I'm fine with it. 7/10.
Jul 1, 2015 12:15 PM

Oct 2013
The whole psycho kids and fucked up food that take away your fear and so on was dumb and pointless. Shouldn't have been in there and honestly? it was boring.

Scariest part through the manga was when they flew over Mount Fuji and descended down into it. That scared the shit out of me.

I was going to give this a 10 but that and the ending dropped it to an 8.

The ending just felt empty and incomplete. I get that its supposed to be an open ending but they could have at least showed the aftermath and Teru & Ako alive and surviving somewhere.

At least a small tiny shred of happiness would have been perfectly fine in the end since this manga took away ALL happiness lol
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jul 21, 2015 12:38 PM

Jun 2014
This series ending was just disappointing even though its real aim was to give out a clear message.

Well it was made in 1995 xD

7/10
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 10, 2015 5:14 AM
May 2012
Uhmmm......okay.
KillthisAccount said:
Beatnik said:

I totally agree. I felt the ending had little to no loose ends and can be interpreted as either a bright and hopeful future or a bleak and bitter sweet end to Ako and Teru's journey.

I forgot most posts in this topic are opinions of complete weaboos, that want a moe happily ever after ending where everything is perfect wrapped up without any sense of mystery and the guy gets the girl... /rant.

That's what I think, too.....but still, something feels kinda off. Well, maybe it's just me.
Started out good, but in my opinion kinda went downhill. I think, I would have liked this better if it was just about them surviving and finally escaping in that tunnel.

FireEmblemIke24 said:
This series ending was just disappointing even though its real aim was to give out a clear message.

Well it was made in 1995 xD

7/10

So what if it was made in 1995??
Feb 14, 2016 9:16 PM

May 2012
And that was how I meet your mother
Jul 7, 2016 2:23 PM
Jul 2016
I don't see why there are so many hates with the ending. To be fair, it was kinda unexpected, but not abrupt or absurd. My point is, Dragon Head might take place in an ongoing-apocalypse (or I like to call it "Ultra Disaster"), but I guess some people mistook it to be a horror-survival manga. There were elements of a horror-survival here and there, but it was *not* Dragon Head's main theme, the main theme was about people's fear and how they dealt with it when the world fell apart, and to that it did a good job until the very end.

What exactly was the cause of all those chaos? Nobody knows for certain and it should stay that way. The disaster in Dragon Head was too huge and bizzare for anyone, even the best scientists in the world, to figure out in a glance, and hence any attempt allowing a group of young kids to miraculously identified the real cause would just feel forced. And I'm glad that all we got for the ending were wildest guesses, because it was cool. "Finding an explanation" was the very first thing that pop up in everyone's head, but as the journey go along, actually it was to explore human fear that was the main purpose of Dragon Head. I guess some people was into Dragon Head 'til the end just because pure curiosity, and the fact that no clear explanation was pulled off made them pissed, but to me, it was so realistic, so on-point and somewhat satisfied. It was a long, brutal and tiresome journey, so at the end, just to be with your love one and watch the world around you burst into chunk of flame was such a relief (It kinda remind me of "Fight Club" ending).

Again, if you somewhat hate the ending, it may just because you totally mistook the manga and what exactly the author were trying to portrait. What about Japan after that? What about our world? What was the cause? They were not told in the end because (I guess) they were never the real intention (exact opposite of how careful fear was discussed and defined), so if it still does not click for you, just use your imagination and pick your favorable scenario. For me, I prefer some questions to be left unanswered like this, because it was just something true about life.

I didn't find the characters in Dragon Head all that amazing but the manga captured the atmosphere of a ruined world so brilliantly, I kinda change the way I see our human world a bit.
Nov 22, 2016 5:52 PM

Dec 2011
It was a nice journey, but with a inconclusive ending.
And, sadly, it wasn't one of those good inconclusive endings...
Oct 15, 2017 5:34 PM

Nov 2014
Cant believe i've wasted 7 hours to read this piece of sh*t
Oct 1, 2018 12:44 AM

May 2010
Everything was great up until he met with those crazy bald guys.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Apr 11, 2019 11:12 PM
Nov 2015
While I can't call this a great ending, or an expected one, in retrospect I think it is a, let's say "correct" ending. It doesn't explain everything about everything, it lets you wonder, it lets you think and figure it out for yourself.

KingAkiraTRK said:
the main theme was about people's fear and how they dealt with it when the world fell apart, and to that it did a good job until the very end.

I fully agree with this. The manga focused on the chaos, fear, psychological nature of such early-apocalyptic scenarios and left us as hopeless as the characters themselves. The sad truth is that no answer is exactly the answer the manga seems to try and represent, since it is from the perspective of the victims on the inside.

Could Japan be the only place where this happened? Could this have been caused by someone, or something? It doesn't matter. The only truth left in this world is ash and fear, and maybe there is no reason or need from even the characters themselves to look for more answers as the reality of the end is, in a way, a revelation.

You could say that the ones who figured out the truth were the ones who surrendered themselves to the fear first.

Mar 14, 2020 7:52 AM

Jan 2016
wow, the ending was bad. The author didn't explain what even happened to Japan, and I know now, but what if I wasn't using MAL and I would have never found this thread? Also, the nuclear bombs were just abandoned all of a sudden. I'm fine with the ending pages because there's no way they would have survived a volcano erupting right in front of them.
It would've been a solid 8, but because of this ending, I'll change it to a solid 7
Jan 18, 2021 9:55 AM

May 2018
Great series with huge potential, the art of ruined Tokyo was top-notch, the plot was amazing and the ideology it portrayed was great, yet the ending was absolutely terrible, it seemed like the author had run out of ideas and ended it randomly.

6/10, would be a solid 8+ if it has an actual ending.
SoaringPegasusJan 18, 2021 10:00 AM
Mar 11, 2021 5:39 PM
Feb 2019
I really liked it. Mostly the first 3 and last 3 volumes. I don't know why people be bitching about the ending. Obviously Mochizuki was writing a psychological thriller story... its about the journey and messages, not the end. And holy shit, for all those people bashing the ending... how would you have wanted it to end huh? like seriously. Dragon Head was a great page turner. And no reads 10 volumes of something they arent enjoying... so for all you who finished it, obviously you enjoyed the journey, so don't hate just because the ending isnt tied up in a pretty little bow for your sake
Jun 5, 2021 4:33 PM

May 2007
The ending is philosophical, it could be the last words of our 2 main leads or the start of their lives in the new world, Ako appreciated that she wasn't alone and had Teru at least in the end.

All in all, it's an open-ending if you are optimistic but realistically, I think those were their last days.
Jun 26, 2021 8:15 PM
Dec 2020

I didn't like the ending, it felt too empty and information less. It was super detached compared to the emotional investment into the characters.

The huge info dump about the nukes really felt out of place and was "rumor mongering" it could of been brought up more naturally by showing off the military rescuers. The ending really felt poorly written with bad punctuation.

I'm usually neutral to open endings but that was just awful.
Jul 30, 2021 1:54 PM

Nov 2016
I expected an open ending. Leaving things ambiguous regarding the disaster might've been for the better tbh. I don't think any explanation could've lived up to the imagination of most readers.

Not to mention that this was a character driven story about how humans deal with fear in the first place. It can be overwhelming to the point where we lose our mind or it can be benefitial if we manage to get stronger. In the end we gotta live with it and move on.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 11, 2022 6:38 AM

Aug 2017
Of course Mochizuki did an "open ending". Although I think he implies that they'll die. How the hell are they supposed to survive here? No more helicopters.

Overall, I wish the author did some more unique things with the manga, less walking around ruins, etc. But it's a pretty good disaster manga. And of course foreign soldiers (probably the US) and the nukes.
Apr 3, 2022 3:27 AM

Nov 2013
Ending so open it hardly even an ending.

First 3 volumes were great, then it went downhill.
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 12, 2022 5:11 AM

Jan 2016
What a bullshit ending. Other people in the thread have said it more eloquently than I, but it's so disappointing that the back half of the story is the way it is. It just became completely directionless after they left Izu (and even the Izu arc has problems, but at least it *seems* like it's setting up something cool). I don't want to come across as a baby who needs everything spoonfed to me, but the way the author tries to deliberately leave everything open-ended isn't thought-provoking, it's just frustrating. And it feels like there's no reason for it to end where it does, it feels like it should have another 15 chapters or so. Like something to tie up the stuff with the medical experimentation & have a definite end for the protagonists, happy or tragic, just some kind of closure (speaking personally, I think it would've been great if they escaped Japan).
Oct 18, 2022 4:42 PM

Oct 2016
The best chapters and volumes were the first three or so, when it was about the psychological fear of dying in a unknown and incomprehensible natural disaster. Then the plot didn't really moved that much, the discussions about fear and will to live weren't very good, the action scenes felt a bit too much for the characters to survive all of them, and the finale felt incomplete, especially with the political aspect thrown in the last volumen. Pretty great beginning, just ok development, at least the atmosphere and the main lead character were good from beginning to end.
CaptainKenshiroOct 18, 2022 4:52 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Head Chapter 58 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Aug 1, 2011

2 by CaptainKenshiro »»
Oct 17, 2022 3:11 PM

Poll: » Dragon Head Chapter 41 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 14, 2009

5 by Ckak »»
Aug 23, 2021 1:40 PM

Poll: » Dragon Head Chapter 66 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Aug 2, 2011

2 by FMmatron »»
Jul 30, 2021 12:42 PM

Poll: » Dragon Head Chapter 44 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 14, 2009

7 by FMmatron »»
Jul 30, 2021 9:06 AM

Poll: » Dragon Head Chapter 19 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 13, 2009

11 by FMmatron »»
Jul 28, 2021 12:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.