Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 9, 2016 1:27 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lots of flashback this episode, but was good nonetheless—especially the backstory with Sasaki. Action was pretty good Hijikata & the rest came in just the nick of time; otherwise it would've been rip in pieces for Matsudaira. I loved the simple ost throughout the episode as it fit really well with some of the scenes.

Dat bombardment though... Shit going to go down next episode. 4 Chaps done this episode.

Looks like the
is next week or maybe the week after depending how fast they go. (Not really a spoiler since people won't know what, but yeah).
Mar 9, 2016 1:27 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Lol, we start up with Mountain Zaki XD. We get some flashbacks with Sasaki too, talking about him having a baby. Nicely done Shinsengumi/Mimawarigumi flashbacks! Kondo and Katsura aren’t in good shape. Oh no, Sasaki’s got them! Hijikata came just in time!

Hijikata’s a beast! Sasaki’s a beast too :D. Intense battle going on between the Shinsengumi and Mimawarigumi. Meanwhile Sougo vs. Nobume is awesome! Gintoki vs. Oboro, Hijikata vs. Sasaki, and Sougo vs. Nobume… too many awesome fights!!

More Sasaki flashbacks which is nice (he’s such an awesome character). Hijikata vs. Sasaki is epic (all those Thorny arc memories are coming back :D). Nobume says that Sasaki kind of saved the Shinsengumi back in the past. Too bad no one saved him. My favorite flashback of this arc got animated finally! Sasaki running to his family because his danger. That massacre, Poor Sasaki. And he got a name for his newborn child… Nobume ;_;. And it seems like Mukuro (now Nobume) killed them.

Sasaki was supposed to die there too. He survived, but not his family. That rage! Deciding not to kill Mukuro, and later making him work under him… damn! For me, Sasaki is the most developed character of this arc. Close second is Kondo! Damn explosions everywhere! Sasaki doesn’t seem to be with the Bafuku… he’s a rebel too. Kagura interrupts Sougo and Nobume’s fight.

Four chapters adapted this time. Three episodes left! Art and animations were fine this time!

GoldenDevilGamerMar 9, 2016 4:51 AM
Mar 9, 2016 4:01 AM

Dec 2012
A great, but sad episode. Good to get a flashback on Sasaki.
Seeing him run frantically towards his wife and child and seeing everyone slaughtered by Mukuro was so sad.
Hijikata and his group made it just in time to help out Kondo and the others.
Great fight between Hijikata & Sasaki.
Okita and Nobume having a pretty solid fight as well. Kagura stepping in and stopping it.
Cannot wait for next week. A certain somebody is going to make his appearance.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 9, 2016 4:03 AM
Dec 2014
Santoryu_XBurner said:

Cannot wait for next week. A certain somebody is going to make his appearance.

A certain somebody indeed.....have you heard his Ost? It's so perfect i wanna cry :)
Mar 9, 2016 4:04 AM

Feb 2012
Yea they did justice to their backstory, really nice, but I still liked it more in the manga.

Looks like the tables have turned once again, now its the Naraku vs Everybody. They got off those ships and started slaughtering everyone.

It seems the Tendoshu Shinigami is finally landing on earth next week. Gintoki's "WHO THE HELL IS THAT" yell in the preview gave me chills for real. Can't wait.
Mar 9, 2016 4:08 AM
Dec 2014
Awesome episode. So heartbreaking, but i love how Sorachi incorporated a joke like Isaburo's emails into something truly serious. Also art and animation are good again! :)

Can't wait for that person next week. It's gonna be a rollercoaster of emotions in these next episodes.
Mar 9, 2016 4:11 AM

Dec 2013
Absolutely amazing episode. Sad backstory for Isaburo. Hope he doesn't end up dying in this arc.

Hype fights were everywhere. Loved every moment of it :)
Mar 9, 2016 4:13 AM

Apr 2013
This episode is really well paced for the amount of chapters they animated!

Absolutely ecstatic seeing the past of Sasaki being animated, as a character
he's been developed to the fullest, it's a real tragedy that his wife died ;A;

Small Nobume eating a donut is precious.
But seriously curse all those Naraku and Tendoushuu for being so screwed up
that they hire children to do their dirty work.

Hijikata/Isaburo , Sougo/Nobume, Oboro/Gintoki fights were wicked!

Matsudaira and the Shinsengumi saw the opportunity and took it, cunningly smart indeed.

I can't wait for next week when

Mar 9, 2016 5:20 AM

Jan 2016
Didn't expect to have this much feels for isaburo and nobume's back story, but the bgm put a lump in my throat.
Hijikata's entrance was badass af, nice ending with kagura's entrance too, Zura-hime riding on Eli's back, come on, that's not like him.

Next week will be intense with the
Damn can't wait.
psychogumMar 9, 2016 5:26 AM

Mar 9, 2016 5:22 AM
Oct 2015
This arc is really hitting the emotional notes week in and week out. Gintama is one of the very few anime that perfectly execute action scenes and flashbacks.
Mar 9, 2016 5:30 AM
Jul 2018
Damn, this episode got me emotional.
The feels ;_;
Mar 9, 2016 5:36 AM

Mar 2014
5/5 episode!

The animation was a tad wonky at times, but overall it was good, especially for Sougo vs. Nobume. The music was powerful af.

The characterisation of both Sasaki & Nobume was phenomenal, but the former's is on a whole other level.

ziggy_ZMar 9, 2016 6:21 AM
Mar 9, 2016 5:39 AM

Oct 2010
For those who can't wait for next week King of Crows OST
Mar 9, 2016 5:43 AM

Jul 2015
Freaking Gintama, this is the only Anime I can't predict, even the Flashbacks are so good and the Fight is just epic and what I've really love in this episode is the serious message that it delivers to its characters and fans ... just demn
VanAlexMar 9, 2016 6:27 AM
Mar 9, 2016 6:11 AM

Jan 2016
Lol why was everyone so op in this episode.? xD
Mar 9, 2016 6:17 AM
Dec 2013
The damn feels man, the damn feels; I just can feel it through-out the episode. Next week, the m'fer will arrive

NANDESUKA KORE?
Mar 9, 2016 6:30 AM

Jul 2015
It's so fucking good !
Mar 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
I love Sasaki's flashback, he's an interesting character and tragic too T___T and ofcourse Nobume
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Mar 9, 2016 6:39 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome ass ep. The feels for Sasaki and Nobume were real. So Nobume was the name Sasaki wanted to give his daughter and he called Mukuro who killed his family by it ;_;

Also the fights that went on were epic.
Sasaki vs Hijikata
Gin vs Oboro
And Nobume vs Sougo. Interrupted by Kagura to add. Fav love triangle ship for me :3

Good art and animation too

Dat "Who the hell is that?!?!" Shout in the pv tho. Someone is pissed as f*** :P
Mar 9, 2016 7:07 AM

Dec 2015
I never expected to get this many feels for Sasaki, damn.
Animation was better than last episode's, IMO.

But, it was all about the preview.
"Who the hell is that!?"
Me: "Holy balls.."
Mar 9, 2016 7:12 AM

Jan 2012
Hello, Am I the only one who is quite disappointed at this ep here? It was freaking fucking rushed!

They cut out a lots of dialoge from the flashbacks and the present in which someeone of them were very important, and some moments when it was heartbreaking tension went by too fast without we can could slowly feel it strongly.

I really though the studio would be smart and just do 3 ch, but now by doing this I"m quite worried if they are even going to end the series in another 3 ep

Animation was great though.

But please studio, don"t screw the rest of the eps up , otherwise I will lose all respect for you totally xd
How I love a game
Mar 9, 2016 7:21 AM

Feb 2008
I didn't expect Sasaki's and Nobume's background and motives to be this intriguing. And tragic.

Definitely looking forward to more!
Mar 9, 2016 7:46 AM

Dec 2014
So even Sasaki had a dark past. I did not know he had that kind of past. I really tered a little
Mar 9, 2016 7:53 AM

Dec 2014
Amazing episode, Flashbacks were amazing, Fights were amazing. Everything was amazing.

Loved the part where Hijikata jumped in shouting Shinsengumi,The transition from the flashback was excellent. Embodied how much trust the Shinsengumi had in Kondo and their paths as Samurai.

Epic action scenes, Especially Nobume vs Sougo.

Sasaki wow, I Never really expected him to be such a sacrificing character. The guy is really something

Nobume was suprisingly mature even when she was young, She had some pretty deep conversations with Sasaki. Glad Shoyo had a positive influence on her.
Nobume <3
So much feels when she cried during her fight, Felt so sad :(

Totally did not expect Kagura stopping the fight.

So much hype for the next episode.
Mar 9, 2016 8:00 AM

Jul 2014
pretty decent episode, i give so much sympathy for what happen to Sasaki's wife and child...

Mar 9, 2016 8:24 AM

Jul 2014
I've already lost faith in the anime staff a long time ago. The episode was pretty rushed. The manga had more build-up towards Nobume and Isaburo's backstory. There was much more emphasis on certain scenes, however because the anime was rushed, the scenes just flew by. It lost a lot of impact to me. But this episode was still good because there was Nobume in it.

Mar 9, 2016 8:39 AM

Jan 2012
tsukara said:
I've already lost faith in the anime staff a long time ago. The episode was pretty rushed. The manga had more build-up towards Nobume and Isaburo's backstory. There was much more emphasis on certain scenes, however because the anime was rushed, the scenes just flew by. It lost a lot of impact to me. But this episode was still good because there was Nobume in it.

Finally someone that actually gets this damn eps problems xd Though for me everything before this ep was pretty Well Done.

Well, for the last 3 upcoming eps there is not so much dialoge fr.o.m. The manga so hopefully they won"t cut anything(hopefully)
How I love a game
Mar 9, 2016 8:47 AM

Nov 2007
Gintama is so unpredictable. It's amazing just how throwing in backstories Sorachi can change the way you look at a character.

You cannot quote here since you'll be spoiled if you did. /resists.

They covered eight chapters in 2 episodes? Wow! I am definitely starting the manga once this season is over. I cannot think about my week without 30 mins spent on Gintama.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 9, 2016 9:04 AM

May 2015
Great episode but it was really rushed, they skipped some interesting sentences , If only they didn't adapt that random chapter (Samurai Poop) 2 weeks ago and adapted 1 more chapter from this arc into that episode, then maybe they could have done this episode with 3 chapters instead of 4 , it would have been perfect.

Really excited for next week , the "Who the hell is that" from the preview gave me the chills

3 more episodes to finish this season with 11 chapters left to be adapted.
Mar 9, 2016 9:10 AM

Aug 2014
Not sure whether I'm up for what is going to happen...but great ep nonetheless, hoping the keep the good animation for that special moment.
Mar 9, 2016 9:33 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, the intensity of the fights are definitely over 9000!
I feel bad about hating Isaburo for such a long time now.
Mukuro killed his wife and child ( Nobume was going to be her name) but in the end Mukuro became Nobume, very touching story if you ask me.
Mar 9, 2016 10:38 AM
May 2010
At first kinda feel disconnected with how Isaburo acted in the past and the present, then the tragedy struck down and boy it hits me hard, no wonder he act kinda emotionless.

The typing while running is kinda silly but Isaburo's monologue until he sees the scene and Nobume reveal, really choke my heart.

I didn't read the manga of this episode but because of the last ending I can kinda guess who's that masked guy is (I hate that kinda of spoiler ending)
Sallad4everMar 9, 2016 10:41 AM
Mar 9, 2016 10:57 AM

Jan 2016
Isaburo's past was heartbreaking, they've made an incredible job with the last few flashbacks scene such as the Shoyo's disciples scenes.

Seeing Nobume shedding tears in an unexpected sight, both in the past and present. Even Okita was surprised.

Even when this anime has one of the most sad and tragic background displayed Sorachi still manage to make us laugh
Mar 9, 2016 11:12 AM
Jun 2008
A perfect episode.
So sad, so intense, I can't describe how perfect this episode was.
100 / 10.
Probably my fav episode in these serious arcs.
shion16Mar 9, 2016 11:18 AM
Mar 9, 2016 11:22 AM

Aug 2015
who is currently animation director of gintama?it looks so fucked up
Mar 9, 2016 12:56 PM
Jun 2009
The episode was great! loved that new ost it was really fitting for that scene of isaburo!
Didn't really feel rushed because two of the four chapters adapted were mainly fighting
5/5

Zack312 said:
Hello, Am I the only one who is quite disappointed at this ep here? It was freaking fucking rushed!

They cut out a lots of dialoge from the flashbacks and the present in which someeone of them were very important, and some moments when it was heartbreaking tension went by too fast without we can could slowly feel it strongly.

I really though the studio would be smart and just do 3 ch, but now by doing this I"m quite worried if they are even going to end the series in another 3 ep

But please studio, don"t screw the rest of the eps up , otherwise I will lose all respect for you totally xd

what flashbacks? they just skipped a few panels/sentences of oboro from what i can tell and they weren't really important it was mainly stating stuff that we already know of isaburo. By the way judging from the tittle of the next ep they'll animate 5 chapters...which would leave 6 chapters for the last 2 eps
Mar 9, 2016 12:57 PM

Feb 2016
Since shogun assassination arc up to now, my heart has been in pieces. It was a great episode, the pity I had for Isaburo when I read the manga's chapter, I felt it even more with this anime episode.
"If you have time to think of a beautful end, why not live beautifully until the end?" - Sakata Gintoki
Mar 9, 2016 1:43 PM

Aug 2013
only 3 more eps and then idk what im gonna do w myself on wednesday mornings orz. fav moment of this ep:

Mar 9, 2016 2:46 PM
Nov 2013
ultravigo said:

I hate to diagnose you, but your blind. Episode looked great, had great direction, and your probably just mad that it doesn't look like old Gintama. Which occasionally had animation hiccups as well. Not that this episode had any.
Mar 9, 2016 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
Ahhr I am still bothered how animation in this arc can go from brilliant to awkward. Ah well. Still, I am very excited for next week for two reasons.

Mar 9, 2016 3:01 PM

Aug 2015
crystalblade13 said:
ultravigo said:

I hate to diagnose you, but your blind. Episode looked great, had great direction, and your probably just mad that it doesn't look like old Gintama. Which occasionally had animation hiccups as well. Not that this episode had any.

lol you're missing my point completly and what's with old and new gintama??....gintama is gintama for me
Mar 9, 2016 4:05 PM
Dec 2014
Glandire said:
Ahhr I am still bothered how animation in this arc can go from brilliant to awkward. Ah well. Still, I am very excited for next week for two reasons.

Blind. Blind as a bat. You don't deserve to comment on the animation.
Mar 9, 2016 4:28 PM

Aug 2010
Didn't expect Isaburo to have this tragic a past. And the revelation of the relation between Isaburo and Nobume also caught me by surprise. Even the side characters in Gintama have so much character.
Mar 9, 2016 6:11 PM

Oct 2011
OMG tragic past T____T They were good all this time OMFG T______T

Next week OMG Is that......OMGOMGOMG!!!!
Mar 9, 2016 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
lvlachine said:
The episode was great! loved that new ost it was really fitting for that scene of isaburo!
Didn't really feel rushed because two of the four chapters adapted were mainly fighting
5/5

Zack312 said:

what flashbacks? they just skipped a few panels/sentences of oboro from what i can tell and they weren't really important it was mainly stating stuff that we already know of isaburo. By the way judging from the tittle of the next ep they'll animate 5 chapters...which would leave 6 chapters for the last 2 eps

Then you better go back and check the content of the manga. Its not such Oboro's talk that they cut some but bascically even all the characters in the ep with dialoge. Sure no scenes were cut but since the conversations in Them was a LOT shorter in some it bascically took out the impact of the characters motives and the little things..
How I love a game
Mar 9, 2016 7:35 PM

May 2014
This was such a hype (but also sad) episode...and now we know the real meaning behind Nobume's name ;_;

It's great that Nobume and Sasaki are getting the development they deserve & I really do hope that Nobume sticks around after this arc since she's really growing on me- it'd be nice for her to be a main supporting girl like Tsukuyo or Sachan!!

Next week is looking promising yet foreboding since it seems the dude from the op is making his (?) appearance...I'm not a manga reader so I don't know exactly who it is, but if it really is who I'm thinking, then I'm going to curse and cry!! It'd just be too damn cruel!

Also, cannot believe we only have 3 eps left!! What on earth am I going to do without my grail anime?? I'm certain they'll adapt the rest of the manga when it comes out, but that'll be at least a year away, since BN will likely wait till the final arc of the manga is finished... and I don't want the anime or manga to end *sighs* :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2016 8:52 PM
Dec 2014
Zack312 said:
lvlachine said:
5/5

Then you better go back and check the content of the manga. Its not such Oboro's talk that they cut some but bascically even all the characters in the ep with dialoge. Sure no scenes were cut but since the conversations in Them was a LOT shorter in some it bascically took out the impact of the characters motives and the little things..

You're overreacting. They weren't very important sentences, so i suggest you get over it.
Mar 9, 2016 10:53 PM

Jul 2008
treedude said:
Glandire said:

Blind. Blind as a bat. You don't deserve to comment on the animation.

Yes, yes, I am so blind I actually have a secretary which types in my stead.

Anyway. If in your opinion animation is perfect, that's fine. Just stop being rude. That's not how discussion should work. I did not say animation was crap. I even called it brilliant, but with few awkward accidents.

Don't get me wrong I love Gintama, but seriously this arc has moments which make me shrug. And I don't mean silly looking details, like characters in the background. For example in this episode when Hijikata caught Isaburos leg to throw him it bothered me as hell. That move looked extremely unnatural for me and I think it could be handled better. Not to mention how Hijikatas body looked like. And right after that: boom perfect close ups.

If you found it perfect, stay that way. Just don't tell me to change how I feel about it. That's up to me.
Mar 9, 2016 11:10 PM

Jun 2015
Hyack said:
For those who can't wait for next week King of Crows OST

Damn that is so fitting.
:)
Mar 10, 2016 1:39 AM
Oct 2015
This is a great episode, great action, great backstory. Just perfect.

Btw on the preview tho, is that what i think it is? Tell me its him :o

oh god cant wait for the next episode
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

251 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 6:09 AM

» Thoughts on this season (Spoilers)

RahulSenpai - Mar 8

13 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.