Forum Settings
Forums

female characters most loved, revered, and respected by women

New
Jan 31, 2016 2:21 PM
Oct 2015
I'm just saying this out of curiousity. You can cite polls, maybe some well known female critics or reasonable feminist thinkers who often analyze media... or whatever.

But out of all the female anime characters out there, which one has the most loyal following of fangirls. I'm sure Utena and Oscar will be some commonly cited examples most likely.

But just the female character that's most respected among both female fans, as well as young girls.
I'm not sure if Sailor Moon (the character) was someone you looked up to as a young girl... I kind of hope she isn't, maybe one of the other sailor scouts.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 31, 2016 2:23 PM

Apr 2014
Definitely Kotonoha from School Days.

Probably some protagonist from Shoujo anime I don't watch.
Jan 31, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2015
Yui Komori is especially awesome ..
SodiumChlorideJan 31, 2016 3:14 PM
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 31, 2016 2:54 PM
Nov 2014
I wonder if Bishamon from Noragami would be a good example. I'm a girl but I don't really follow all this feministic stuff, yet I think making "the most powerful god of war" a woman was quite a nice touch. And I'd skip the context of "war", and just focus on the thing that she is undeniably presented as wielding quite a significant power in the series.
Jan 31, 2016 3:00 PM

Sep 2014
Mokoto Kusanagi.
She s one of the most(and few) bad ass female Lead character...

She doesnt lose to any male lead character...
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jan 31, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
Balsa from Seirei no moribito and all girls from Black Lagoon.

Basically any female that has purpose outside of having girl in show.

That way it should be.

In reality it would be some feminist shit probably.

Jan 31, 2016 3:13 PM

Jan 2009
I'm guessing Balalaika would be a top contender.
She's pretty much the most dangerous and influential person in Black Lagoon.
Heck she's probably the most badass female anime character ever.
Motoko "Major" Kusanagi is another likely candidate

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 31, 2016 3:15 PM

Mar 2014
How about Riza Hawkeye from FMA? She's very admirable and is liked by most.
Jan 31, 2016 3:15 PM
Mar 2015
Balsa from seirei no moribito maybe
Jan 31, 2016 3:16 PM

Dec 2010
Anytime this kind of question is asked on the forums I usually hang out at the most popular answers are Balsa from Moribito and Kino from Kino's Journey.
Jan 31, 2016 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
for me it would be nana osaki, defo girl crush. Or maybe one of the badass female characters such as major or saber.
Jan 31, 2016 5:18 PM

May 2014
I would say the sailor scouts definitely yeah. I always thought Fey Valentine was always really intriguing and cool. Bishamon and Kofuku are definitely some of my favs too!
Jan 31, 2016 5:22 PM

Feb 2013
The words "revered, and respected" sound really weird in this context..

So... @obscureanimefan kun, i ask you as representative of all men... Which anime characters do you revere and respect, and what does that exactly imply?
Jan 31, 2016 5:25 PM

Feb 2010
eh i find female characters most annoying ever especially in anime. so much from being black sheep amongst white ones. only few i could mention as interesting: integra from hellsing, motoko from ghost in the shell, shiki from kara no kyoukai, balalaika from black lagoon..
Jan 31, 2016 5:35 PM

Jun 2015
Fujioka Haruhi from Ouran High School.
and a little bit bravery from Chihiro (spirited away)
Jan 31, 2016 5:38 PM

Jun 2015
If I asked my high school classmates what anime girl should be the most respected/had the most influence on them, they'd probably say shit like:

"Sasha!!!! from AOT!!!"
"I don't watch anime"
"Sailor Moon from Sailor Moon. No, I don't know what her real name is."
"Sakura."
"get the fuck out of here you weeaboo"
"Mikasa :3"
"The main protag in OHSHC.... Haruka or something."
Jan 31, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2013
Iroha Isshikki.

Worshiped by both man and woman kind, people strive to be like her but can only cry at their inferior 3D selves.
Jan 31, 2016 5:46 PM
Oct 2015
romagia said:

So... @obscureanimefan kun, i ask you as representative of all men... Which anime characters do you revere and respect, and what does that exactly imply?

In order for me to answer that... Men would have to invent and ideology similar to feminism. Then we can study media and form a consensus on positive vs. negative male portrayals

But as an individual, I'd say both Shinji Ikari and Kamina from Gurren Lagann
Why? Because I consider Shinji to be the best progressive male character, while Kamina is one of the best un-progressive male characters.

I feel Shinji takes a lot of the fakeness out of young male leads... Let's face reality. If any average person, male or female, is gonna find themselves in extreme situations akin to what you see in anime. You are FAR more likely to act like Shinji than Naruto.

However, Kamina represents the positive (and negative) aspects of stereotypical masculinity. I feel while we need to move beyond certain stereotypes, it's also important to hold on to some good stuff too.
I like the culture surrounding "manliness" and striving to be "manly", even though it can be taken too far and turn into something toxic.

and I bet you thought I didn't have an answer...
obscureanimefanJan 31, 2016 5:52 PM
Jan 31, 2016 5:56 PM

Jul 2012
Yona from Akatsuki no Yona
Haruhi from Ouran HSHC
Ninako from Strobe Edge

obscureanimefan said:
I'm not sure if Sailor Moon (the character) was someone you looked up to as a young girl... I kind of hope she isn't, maybe one of the other sailor scouts.
She is. I'm not a fan but I know she's popular.
Jan 31, 2016 6:01 PM
Oct 2015

A few users have named "Haruhi"
I'm glad she's being looked up to as the feminist icon she deserves to be.
Jan 31, 2016 6:04 PM

Jun 2008
Sailor Moon maybe?

Thank god anime doesn't have feminist characters though...
Jan 31, 2016 6:05 PM
Oct 2015
JustALEX said:
Sailor Moon maybe?

yea... just fans
fdgdfgdfgdfgdfgdfgfdg
30ch
Jan 31, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2012
obscureanimefan said:
Yes, she's named as the #1 Character We Want Dead. :^)
Jan 31, 2016 6:09 PM
Jul 2015
I liked Azula from Avatar the las airbender.
Jan 31, 2016 6:14 PM

Jun 2015
Shiki ryougi or any type moon girl. Badass and indepandant
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 6:20 PM

Feb 2013
Predicting the future when Shingeki's second season comes out everyone would say Ymir and Christa :P

(And hopefully everyone would accept the fact that sasha and Mikasa are not best girls)

Jan 31, 2016 7:34 PM

Mar 2014
Mayuka said:
obscureanimefan said:

So ima stalk you for a minute. You've watched Psycho-Pass 2 but not Psycho-Pass? How does that work?

OT: I'm surprised Casca hasn't been mentioned yet. I also love Haruhi from OHSHC but I'm a male so....
Jan 31, 2016 7:36 PM

Jul 2012
merryfistmas said:
Mayuka said:

So ima stalk you for a minute. You've watched Psycho-Pass 2 but not Psycho-Pass? How does that work?
No, I'm currently rewatching PP1 so it's not on my completed list lol
Jan 31, 2016 7:54 PM

Jun 2014
Kino-Kino's Journey
Nana Osaki- Nana
Tokaku Azuma-Akuma no Riddle
Haruko Haruhara-FLCL
Celty-Durarara!!
Re-L Mayer-Ergo Proxy

I might be forgetting some girls...
Jan 31, 2016 7:56 PM

Jan 2011
i guess Oscar François from Rose of Versailles

maybe Anna from Monster
Jan 31, 2016 7:58 PM

Dec 2015
_Peksi said:
I'm guessing Balalaika would be a top contender.
She's pretty much the most dangerous and influential person in Black Lagoon.
Heck she's probably the most badass female anime character ever.
Motoko "Major" Kusanagi is another likely candidate

I totally agree with this. Balalaika is a pure badass and very influential and independent woman.
Following on that same note, I was just going through anime to add to my completed list that I finished long before joining MAL and just added Jorgumand. That got me thinking Koko is one of those influential women that has a goal, seeks out a way to accomplish it, then actually follows through with it.

I saw someone say Utena above which is another good one too.
Feb 1, 2016 12:28 AM

Nov 2009
romagia said:

I'm male, and the male character I admire the most is Shiroe of Log Horizon. Anime has plenty of "smart" characters who can get good marks on their tests, but Shiroe can make whole countries happy. One can't be more admirable.
Feb 1, 2016 12:41 AM

May 2015
I'm pretty sure Yuno Gasai has a big female following. She takes the role of Woman In Love and makes it active, so there's a lot of appeal there.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Feb 1, 2016 12:42 AM

Mar 2014
I have absolutely no idea

Then again I've never been much of a girly girl
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 1, 2016 12:46 AM

Oct 2014
Hinamori Amu is best tsundere. She's the protagonist in a shoujo manga so naturally girls like her. You'd probably have to look into some sort of data collection to find the actual answer.
Feb 1, 2016 12:50 AM
Jul 2018
All the women from Black Lagoon (Especially Balalaika).

Casca from Berserk (The Warrior Persona).

Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell.
Feb 1, 2016 1:00 AM

Jan 2015
The major is the perfect human being incarnate.
Feb 1, 2016 1:58 AM

May 2014
SodiumChloride said:
Yui Komori is especially awesome ..

She really is an admirable heroine.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2016 2:15 AM

May 2014
I don't think that many female characters are well written, especially nowadays, but I guess that makes the standouts more prominent.

I'd say mine are:

Bishamon from Noragami>>
she's strong both physically and emotionally, yet still has a little vulnerability as well as flaws that make her character more realistic and less tropey.

Most of the female characters from Gintama>> Kagura, Otae, Kyubei, Sacchan etc. etc.
these girls are no damsels in distress, and I love that they're treated as equals to the male characters- they are respected and revered for their strength by the characters in the anime, so naturally I respect them too.

Celty from Durarara!!>>
she's got that perfect balance of femininity and badassery that keeps Shinra in check and can also keep a clear head (no pun intended) and rationalise in an anime where a majority of the characters really can't! Celty oozes cool & proves you don't need to get your double D's and booty out to be sexy!

Integra from Hellsing>> no explanation needed. I think her name speaks for itself.
Feb 1, 2016 2:18 AM

Jan 2016
The main group of characters in SHirobako(Aoi Miyamori and her gang). Even if they're not the "most loved, revered and respected by women"... I think they should be... They're goal oriented and hardworking female characters.
Feb 1, 2016 2:30 AM

Apr 2014
Probably the MC of Sanae-san, since she's pretty much the perfect house wife. (Men can be great housewives too, #GenderEquality)
Feb 1, 2016 2:59 AM

Dec 2015
Konata Izumi:She has lots of fans who love her and I love how laid back she is, doesn't care about anything and enjoy life to the fullest.

Next is Kagura: She is not the usual annoying heroine. Strong, kind and will do everything to help the people she loves.
Feb 1, 2016 2:59 AM
Apr 2013
Nodame from Nodame Cantabile
Rin from Usagi Drop
The Three main girls from OreGairu
Feb 1, 2016 3:05 AM

Nov 2009
Nunnally03 said:

Next is Kagura: She is not the usual annoying heroine. Strong, kind and will do everything to help the people she loves.

Search gave out a whole lot of Kaguras. Did you mean the one from Gintama?
Feb 1, 2016 3:09 AM

Dec 2015
flannan said:
Nunnally03 said:

Search gave out a whole lot of Kaguras. Did you mean the one from Gintama?
Yes, Lol. Ah.. I should've really put (Gintama) next to her name. >_<
Feb 1, 2016 6:25 AM
Nov 2015
rias gremory- highschool dxd.....
Feb 1, 2016 8:52 AM

Jun 2014
Oh and Makise Kurisu! (Steins;Gate)

She's very smart=)
Feb 1, 2016 9:04 AM

Dec 2015
Yona from Akatsuki no Yona is in my opinion a really respected character by both sides. In tumblr she has a huge fanbase and I myself see her as a big heroine. Yona is absolutely amazing because she improved a lot in the series (manga/anime doesn't matter, you can clearly see her development.)

Another character maybe - Akane Tsunemori from Psycho-Pass.
You can't deny that she has an amazing development. Just look at Psycho-Pass Season 1 and you can see how fast she changes, matures and gets so much stronger and smarter. Tsunemori isn't a cute, innocent young inspector anymore (Psycho-Pass 2) - she got better, way better - she became a Badassmori. I really like that about her. She's a strong female lead in the series and I really do admire and respect her. And I think I'm not alone with that.
Feb 1, 2016 10:20 PM
Jun 2015
JustALEX said:
Sailor Moon maybe?

There are anime with feminist characters. Can't think of any examples from the top of my head but they exist.
Feb 1, 2016 11:21 PM

Jan 2015
Nausicaa is the greatest female character, tbh
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Would you watch a gender swapped Revolutionary Girl Utena?

RedTea33 - 57 minutes ago

2 by Daviljoe193 »»
57 seconds ago

» How suckable are your Waifu's toes ?

Gashadokur0 - 24 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Does an Anime with Good Fanbase even exist?

Dragevard - 17 minutes ago

3 by Kenzolo-folk »»
4 minutes ago

» Gratuitous Victorian Bloomers scenes fall under the Panty Fanservice in Anime?

ColourWheel - 17 minutes ago

1 by Tirinchas »»
5 minutes ago

» Anyone can tell me what are key differences between Shonen and Seinen shows?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

4 by CrimsonWanderer »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.