Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 26, 7:09 PM
Jan 2023
I love the Revolutionary girl Utena story and the way it set up Utena to be a strong female. But out of curosity, if the roles were switched, would the anime still be a hit?
Jun 26, 8:03 PM

Feb 2016
One of Utena's primary sources of inspiration is in fact gender swapped.

And yes, I did watch Kaze to Ki no Uta.
その目だれの目?
Jun 26, 8:05 PM

Dec 2021
I didn't like the anime to begin with (To say a lot in a few words, "It made me feel 'the wrong type' of uncomfortable", and "The parts besides the uncomfortable parts weren't enjoyable either"), so swapping the genders wouldn't change anything.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 26, 8:23 PM

Dec 2021
Isn't it already kinda gender-swapped? xD

Nah I don't think Revolutionary Girl Utena would work as well if Utena was a boy who wanted to be a princess - at least, not thematically. The story would have to be changed a bit for it to work in that direction.
Jun 26, 9:16 PM

Feb 2020
"Would you watch a gender swapped Revolutionary Girl Utena?"

Maybe.
Jun 26, 9:29 PM

Apr 2020
im not a fan of revolutionary girl utena. if it was a boys love i wouldnt hate it any less than i already do.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 11:07 PM

Aug 2019
No. Especially if it was a version of Utena that's just the character's genders being swapped and everything else is the same, because there are things that would not work out the way they do if a certain character was male or another character was female. Gender matters a lot in that series, but I think it would be interesting and worth the watch if the genders were swapped and the story was remodeled around what would be different as a result of that.
Jun 26, 11:31 PM

Nov 2019
If the premise was just hey look Revolutionary Boy Tanaka, then Hail to the Hail Nah. Gender swapping is hardly a reason to remake something. Now if you made her black, then I'm all ears. We could call it Revolutionary Black Girl Utena.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Jun 27, 12:48 AM
Apr 2024
No, it would lose a lot of it's themes and complexities, I think it is the only show you absolutely can't gender bend
Jun 27, 12:49 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to SignsOfSuicide
If the premise was just hey look Revolutionary Boy Tanaka, then Hail to the Hail Nah. Gender swapping is hardly a reason to remake something. Now if you made her black, then I'm all ears. We could call it Revolutionary Black Girl Utena.
@SignsOfSuicide they can just do an anime where Anthy is the mc... Wait ... In the movie she kind of is
Jun 27, 1:08 AM

Jan 2021
How many threads like this you created.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 27, 1:15 AM

Sep 2016
So, Revolutionary Boy Uteno?

It could be interesting depending on what revolutionary stuff the boy does, just no yaoi stuff please, that wouldn't appeal to me.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 27, 2:02 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
Nope, wouldn't work. Nothing about Utena should be changed, it's perfect.
Jun 27, 2:02 AM

Mar 2023
The story would still be great either way maybe. Would be intersting to see a female predator villain in a boys love story. Female rapes of men are never talk about that much or taken that seriously.
Jun 27, 5:20 AM

May 2021
Reply to bucciest
No. Especially if it was a version of Utena that's just the character's genders being swapped and everything else is the same, because there are things that would not work out the way they do if a certain character was male or another character was female. Gender matters a lot in that series, but I think it would be interesting and worth the watch if the genders were swapped and the story was remodeled around what would be different as a result of that.
@bucciest What do you mean by things that's work for one gender but not the other?
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Jun 27, 5:42 AM

Jun 2017
The one I'm looking forward to is "Would you watch a gender swapped Back Street Girls: Gokudolls?"

Jun 27, 5:51 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to DigiCat
@bucciest What do you mean by things that's work for one gender but not the other?
@DigiCat the themes are not only based in gender dynamics but also in the prince-princess-witch/dragon dynamic of fairytales so changing the gender hurts the themes heavily
Jun 27, 6:02 AM

May 2018
Seems like this is another Dragevard's bot created specifically to spam "would you watch a gender swapped [random anime]".
It spams "gender swapped X" topics, never replies and is never online. And this is it. Just ridiculous. A person behind that account should really get some help.
Also, the bot doesn't even have Utena in their list.

Damn, now I'm wondering if half of MAL users are actually Dragevard's bots lol.
Nemo_NiemandJun 27, 6:06 AM

Jun 27, 6:16 AM

Jul 2013
What is up with all of these gender-swapping threads recently?
Jun 27, 6:20 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Spunkert
The story would still be great either way maybe. Would be intersting to see a female predator villain in a boys love story. Female rapes of men are never talk about that much or taken that seriously.
Spunkert said:
Female rapes of men are never talk about that much or taken that seriously.

Hell yeah, good point. But it wasn't rape exactly, as much as I remember...

And give me gender-swapped version of Chuchu, please.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 27, 7:20 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Spunkert said:

@LoveYourSmile I actually never thought about it but chuchu technically is the main male lead
Jun 27, 7:24 AM

Feb 2024
Better question is why do you keep making these stupid threads?
Jun 27, 7:46 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Guilmon1
@LoveYourSmile I actually never thought about it but chuchu technically is the main male lead
@Guilmon1 Sure thing: he naps, bings, farts and hangs with two best girls in their dorm - true alpha of dat show. And he has never attempted to fuck his sis or bud too, which makes him the only gentleman there.
LoveYourSmileJun 27, 7:57 AM
Jun 27, 9:36 AM
Jan 2023
Reply to Cielord
How many threads like this you created.
@Cielord I think 4, because Sometimes I got a curious mind.
Jun 27, 9:39 AM
Jan 2023
Reply to JoeChip
Better question is why do you keep making these stupid threads?
@JoeChip I don't know, that the only things that come to my mind lately, maybe you can help me come up with a better idea.
Jun 27, 10:38 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Spunkert said:

LoveYourSmile said:

Sailor Moon has a female animal mascot. But I don't think I've seen any anime with a female monkey mascot.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 11:11 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
LoveYourSmile said:

Sailor Moon has a female animal mascot. But I don't think I've seen any anime with a female monkey mascot.
@Lucifrost Well, I wasn't serious about that. I love Utena as it is, all these gender-swap threads are just rubbish.

On a more serious note, does Sailor Moon worth watching? I remember it was on TV long ago and it looked stupid, but I wasn't into anime back then. Should I give it a try now?
Jun 27, 11:12 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't like Utena and I wouldn't like the gender swapped version either.
Jun 27, 11:41 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@Lucifrost Well, I wasn't serious about that. I love Utena as it is, all these gender-swap threads are just rubbish.

On a more serious note, does Sailor Moon worth watching? I remember it was on TV long ago and it looked stupid, but I wasn't into anime back then. Should I give it a try now?
LoveYourSmile said:

I thought Sailor Moon looked cool as a kid, so I definitely have a different bias than you do. I would say every fan of Utena should give Sailor Moon a chance, but don't expect it to be quite as good. The Utena creator had previously directed parts of Sailor Moon, making it a key source of inspiration. The remaining question is, does one watch the new anime or the old one? The BIGGEST difference is the episode count. I suggest choosing your version based on that, even though there are other differences too.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/530/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon
https://myanimelist.net/anime/14751/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon_Crystal
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 12:09 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
LoveYourSmile said:

I thought Sailor Moon looked cool as a kid, so I definitely have a different bias than you do. I would say every fan of Utena should give Sailor Moon a chance, but don't expect it to be quite as good. The Utena creator had previously directed parts of Sailor Moon, making it a key source of inspiration. The remaining question is, does one watch the new anime or the old one? The BIGGEST difference is the episode count. I suggest choosing your version based on that, even though there are other differences too.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/530/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon
https://myanimelist.net/anime/14751/Bishoujo_Senshi_Sailor_Moon_Crystal
Lucifrost said:
I suggest choosing your version based on that.

How come? They look absolutely different. Ofc I would prefer the shorter one to save time, but the longer one just looks million times better based on what I see from the trailer.
Anyway, thank you!
Jun 27, 12:15 PM

Sep 2016
LoveYourSmile said:
Sailor Moon worth watching?

Maybe watching the iconic german opening can contribute to answer the question:

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 27, 12:25 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Lucifrost said:
I suggest choosing your version based on that.

How come? They look absolutely different. Ofc I would prefer the shorter one to save time, but the longer one just looks million times better based on what I see from the trailer.
Anyway, thank you!
@LoveYourSmile
Because a 200 episode show is extremely different from a ~55 episode show. Regardless of the show's other merits, I see no point in watching 200 episodes if you only expect to enjoy a quarter of them.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 12:51 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
LoveYourSmile said:
Sailor Moon worth watching?

Maybe watching the iconic german opening can contribute to answer the question:

@Zarutaku Ahaha, you sold it!‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎
Jun 27, 2:22 PM

May 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile

@LoveYourSmile Yes it is worth. At least the first parts of the old version.
I'd recommend to read manga anyway. It's superior to both versions of anime. The old one is filled with weird fillers and the characters are more shallow. The new version, despite following the manga, still skips important moments, overall looks unhealthy, and has laughably retarded animation at first parts.
The manga is good. A bit repetitive but still engaging.
If you are watching the old version, you may google the filler list and skip fillers (98 fillers out of 200 episodes btw. Literally a half) That will save your time.
Nemo_NiemandJun 27, 2:30 PM

Jun 27, 4:59 PM

Mar 2021
Even if the genders are switched, I think I would normally watch this work if the character designs were hers, since it was Saito Uchihao's drawings that originally inspired me to watch this work.

@LoveYourSmile
The old anime certainly has some comedic moments and a lot of episodes, but I don't think it's worth watching. I think the characters other than the main character are more appealing because more time is devoted to portraying not only the main character but also other characters as well. I think the remake version is not for beginners because it is manga based and develops quickly.

If you like Utena, I would recommend watching the movie version R directed by Ikuhara after watching the first series!

Yesterday, 1:26 AM

Apr 2012
How do you do a gender-swapped version of a story in which patriarchy, and other stuff like the Madonna–whore complex is a central concept?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

94 by Gorgos »»
Jun 16, 6:30 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

76 by britszeca »»
Jun 12, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

91 by SashaTB »»
Jun 1, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

145 by MFDOOMED »»
May 30, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

92 by BreadKingBread »»
May 30, 11:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.