Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 21, 2014 5:32 PM
Jan 2012
animalia said:
Why do you think Kaji sucks?
I might be misjudging him, after all, I only watched 9 episodes. But so far, he seems to be a huge asshole.
Jun 1, 2014 11:51 AM

Aug 2013
CanadaAotS said:

My favourite part of this episode, is Asuka and Shinji arguing at the end...

"I know you tried to kiss me while I slept!"
"You CHEAT! You were awake?!"
"My gosh I was just kidding, did you really kiss me!!!???"
-stammering-"uh no uh I didn't I stopped"
"PERVERT!"

hahaha. Asuka is win, for sure.

The whole battle played to ballet-ish music was pretty funny too.

lol this was my favorite part too!
My Candies:
Aug 28, 2014 2:16 AM
May 2014
a cute episode, there's some bonding between Shinji and Asuka.

The ending was quite funny too, even though he's an idiot for not realising she was awake ;)
Sep 18, 2014 8:35 AM
Jun 2013
I'm really glad that Shinji seems a little happier in those episodes, he is able to open himself more and he even stood up in front of Asuka. I didn't expect such funny episodes on Evangelion.
Sep 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Jun 2009
roxima said:
I'm really glad that Shinji seems a little happier in those episodes, he is able to open himself more and he even stood up in front of Asuka. I didn't expect such funny episodes on Evangelion.

Enjoy them while they last.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 3, 2014 12:07 AM

Sep 2014
insan3priest said:
roxima said:

Enjoy them while they last.

QFT

I forgot how funny this episode was.

*Asuka splits Israfel* "yay we win"
*Israfel becomes two*
Misato: DAFUQ CHEATER
*couple hours later, Eva 02 feet up half submerged in water, Eva 01's upper body is in a mountain*
Commander of Operation E: "They look bad"

LMFAO
Dec 8, 2014 2:24 PM

Nov 2013
LOL, end part of that episode was hilarious.

Not the biggest fan of Kaji, just seems like an asshat.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 15, 2014 12:52 AM

Oct 2013
there is something odd about this anime
Jan 2, 2015 5:20 AM

Dec 2012
Basically nothing interesting happened in this episode, it was lame, Asuka is retarded bitch, and Rei wasn´t there much...
Jan 29, 2015 1:51 AM
Oct 2014
i liked this ep apart from how shinji tried to kiss asuka when he thought she was sleeping. thats a lil rapey /: respect for shinji is deteriorating. am not liking shinji X asuka lol
Jan 29, 2015 6:09 PM

Aug 2013
Azuka alone is just fucking annoying, but when her and Shinji are paired togethr they're hilarious!!
Good ep!
(really liking this how so far, Rei is still my fav)
Jan 31, 2015 6:45 PM

Nov 2012
Shinji makes a great crossdresser.
Feb 16, 2015 6:02 AM

Oct 2013
Hmm... there are two major problems I'm having with the series so far:

1. The pacing is far slower than it needs to be... until it gets to the action, which is far more fast paced than it should be, barely lasting a couple minutes. The "synchronized dance" near the end was unique, and I appreciate the direction (as with the rest of the series), but it wasn't especially entertaining. The regular events don't need to take as long as they are taking in any case.
2. The series feels episodic so far and all the events appear like filler. Everything is resolved by the end of the episode, and it's following the same overall format (angel shows up and NERV has to kill it). I understand the importance of character development, but it's important to establish an overall plot quickly.

I'm really hoping these two flaws will be rectified soon, because they're weighing down what is an otherwise good series.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 23, 2015 7:28 AM

Feb 2015
Zadion said:
Hmm... there are two major problems I'm having with the series so far:

1. The pacing is far slower than it needs to be... until it gets to the action, which is far more fast paced than it should be, barely lasting a couple minutes. The "synchronized dance" near the end was unique, and I appreciate the direction (as with the rest of the series), but it wasn't especially entertaining. The regular events don't need to take as long as they are taking in any case.
2. The series feels episodic so far and all the events appear like filler. Everything is resolved by the end of the episode, and it's following the same overall format (angel shows up and NERV has to kill it). I understand the importance of character development, but it's important to establish an overall plot quickly.

I'm really hoping these two flaws will be rectified soon, because they're weighing down what is an otherwise good series.

The real story begins at episode 19, right now they are setting up a routine and baseline for bigger events
Mar 26, 2015 4:55 PM

Apr 2014
Can't believe I didn't get pissed about this the first time but wtf class prez?!

asuka being a little bitch at shinji -> shinji's fault... ok
I keep noticing all these damn male stereotypes that are being placed on shinji. he keeps being told "you're a man aren't you?!", which is starting to irk me. I feel so bad for the poor kid.
Apr 19, 2015 1:56 AM

Dec 2013
Misato wasn't kidding when she said she'd give us more fan-service.
Apr 28, 2015 10:20 PM
Nov 2014
Good episode but too much screaming and Shinji in that gay outfit = insta win

Best part has to be the ballet shit, I enjoyed watching Shinji humiliating himself.
May 7, 2015 5:56 PM

Aug 2014
Fave ep so far. Really funny and with a cool ass fight scene.
May 25, 2015 9:08 PM

Sep 2014
SUPER HAPPY FUNTIMES CONTINUES! Ep 9.

Pros:
Character-SHinji and Asuka are the highlights. Clashing against each other, trying to work together, even beginning to have fun. THough it is a long and painful road (mostly for SHinji) it is building up. Fuyutsuki even has a moment as angry/reasonable authority figure. Misato and Kaji somewhat rekindle but show the inverse/bad/gray side of Shinji and Asuka. Nice parallel. Even Rei got a moment and showing she has a slightly better movement with SHinji.

Plot-Funniest ep to date. The Eva dance, the bickering, the training montage. It was probably the most fun there is.

5/5. My favorite ep to date.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 29, 2015 5:18 AM

Jan 2013
Funny episode, Shinji trying to make moves on Asuka.
They managed to sync with each other during the fight, destroying the Angel.
Jun 12, 2015 4:59 PM

Dec 2009
Nice, I liked the classical music battle. But did they defeat the Angel? I guess???

Haven't decided if Asuka is Tsundre or just a jerk....
Such junk...
Jul 10, 2015 3:40 AM

Jan 2014
Shinji couldn't kiss her because she said "Mama..." awws :')
Dance sync fight, how cool is thaat?! :D
This Angel was interesting too :)
Aug 8, 2015 6:01 PM

Aug 2015
I thought the part where they fought synced to music was a bit too cheesy, but I enjoyed the rest and how that had to work together. The bickering was pretty hilarious! I can't believe Shinji tried to kiss her while she was sleeping though... lol I was expecting her to wake up and freak out! ★4/5
Sep 4, 2015 12:55 PM
Dec 2014
I see teenage female anime characters were still annoying bitches back in the day
Oct 2, 2015 11:08 AM

Jun 2011
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Oct 16, 2015 10:56 PM

Apr 2014
These past few episodes have gotten gradually more lighthearted. I hope they return to the main plot soon.

It makes me glad to see Shinji so expressive, confident, assertive, and lax. He's grown so much since the first episode. Based on how dark everyone says this show is supposed to be later on, the intended effect will be accomplished I'm certain.

Asuka couldn't tolerate being confronted with her failure and inadequacy when Rei managed to sync with Shinji on the first attempt at the dance in the apartment. Nothing could be her fault. She is the best. Things must go according to her preferences. Others are flawed, not her. While sleeping, she muttered "Mama" and teared up. These two moments of vulnerability coupled with her attitude lead me to believe that Asuka may have originally been more broken than episode 1 Shinji, and decided to deal with her emotional stress by taking on this attitude. It's a facade. She can't be weak if she believes she is strong, but that only holds true if the latter is greater than the former. Therefore, the degree of her brashness and self-assertion is proportional to the helplessness and inferiority that she's managed to suppress. Over time, the act became ingrained into her personality. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I enjoy over-analyzing and speculating haha.

When Rei succeeded on the first attempt with Shinji: YESSS #TeamRei
ZeroDragonOct 16, 2015 11:04 PM
Oct 18, 2015 2:18 PM

Jun 2011
She could've got help or something, that little stupid weirdo shouldn't be running away like this!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Nov 14, 2015 7:31 AM

Jun 2011
ASUKA DOESN'T KNOW IF THE REFRIGERATOR OPENING WILL HELP HER STOP CRYING! SHE'S WEIRD!!!! HOW THE HECK DOES SHE KNOW THAT?!!?!?!?!?

Nov 21, 2015 10:22 AM

Feb 2013
Well a less serious episode this time, but still entertaining.

I also found it pretty amusing how they actually played the music they were listening to during the battle lol.

Oh, and this Kanji dude is a complete douchebag, hopefully Misato doesn't get together with him again. I mean this is the same jackass who left your ass to die on that boat last episode...
Dec 3, 2015 5:33 PM

Nov 2012
Loved Shinji and Asuka's interaction this episode.

Loved the choreography of their fight against this Angel.

Loved the music playing in the background during that scene as well.

5/5.
Dec 6, 2015 2:36 AM

Jan 2015
Re-watching the series and this was by far one of the best episodes to this point. After having so many depressing episodes we get a great lighthearted episode that really ups the comedy and shows Shinji's growth as a character while the follow up episode for Asuka is just perfect. Yes she has her bitchy moments but they work so well with Shinji and when she was tearing up asking for her mom...just great setup.

Plus bickering at the end-Priceless.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 11, 2015 1:28 PM

Jun 2011
A few things that bothered me about this episode:

Why would Asuka run to the store by herself and nobody even got her? It was only Shinji who persuaded by Hikari to go get Asuka but why would Asuka run to the store anyway? And wouldn't the people in the store go crazy if there's a 13-year-old girl in the store? Why didn't anybody notice her let alone call the police in the first place?

Is this real or is this a fantasy playing in Shinji's mind?

Asuka was weird for having a refrigerator opened in the first place! WHY CAN'T SHE LET HER EMOTIONS OUT FOR ONCE?! Asuka needed a punishment for this and nobody got her one! Asuka could've came back earlier, thought over her problems and try again! But she apparently seemed to have known this when Shinji arrived!
Angry_Anime_NerdDec 11, 2015 5:11 PM

Dec 15, 2015 7:04 AM

Jan 2015
Since Asuka's introduction this anime lost his charm. Why do people like her? .________.
Dec 29, 2015 6:39 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

Such an enjoyable battle.

As for the characters' relationships, I've seen this so much that I know everyone's background. Still, all the little details that slowly get revealed about each character is interesting to watch.

It's pretty funny that she forgot that she was sleeping in the other room. That scene is extremely well done.

5/5
Feb 4, 2016 1:48 PM

Aug 2014
Asuka is a cool and funny character , but I prefer Rei .
The characters in this anime are developing very well .

Very good episode .
Jul 1, 2016 8:16 PM

Feb 2016
Shinji and Asuka are like day and night but it was awesome to see how well they did together in the end when they beat that angel. Super funny episode !
Aug 5, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2016
I think i might like Asuna more once she drops her "must act tough" act, for now she is just annoying, tho the ending was pretty funny.

5/5
Sep 17, 2016 10:06 AM

Jun 2016
This episode felt a little jarring, felt more like filler and spoiled the tone being built so far.
Oct 29, 2016 5:54 PM

Aug 2014
Lol at Misato getting her Gendo on

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda enjoying the bickering between Shinji and Asuka.
Nov 12, 2016 2:42 AM

Nov 2015
this whole ep was adorable af
Nov 15, 2016 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
Asuka may be hot as hell but she has an annoying personality. Not that I have anything against tsunderes as Taiga is my favourite anime girl. I might warm up to Asuka later but as of right now I prefer Rei.
Nov 15, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2015
@Pixel_Vapour It's more about Shinji's needs than the viewer's. XD
Rather than this, look at his (or her) reactions.

PS: applying those 2000+ terminologies to older characters, it make them look like cheap copies of today.

@Nano1124 If by DVD version, you mean the first DVDs released in the West, they're nothing compared to the Renewal of Evangelion (Platinum edition here), who has better colours among other things.
Misato is 29 years old, .
Rei exists to mostly stay in the background. You can still watch her evolve through the series.
Rei_IIIJan 2, 2017 10:39 PM
Jan 2, 2017 1:42 PM

Feb 2013
I haven't commented about how I'm seeing this but I'm seeing the BD version. I gotta say the image quality is real sharp and the colors are nice.I went to go see the DVD version and its defintely a step up. The blu-ray version is really good. DVD version is really muddy compared to this.

Asuka is a true tsundere. When she's tsun, she's really tsundere. When she's dere, she's really dere.

So Misato and that guy were together 8 years ago. Just how old is Misato? She looks very young. Don't fall for him Misato!

That whole scene at night was great. That argument after the fight was great too. Sure game me a laugh.

I noticed that we seem to be getting a new person to sing the ED. I really like this ED. It's so nice. ♩Fly me to the moon.♩

We're not really seeing a whole lot of Rei. I hope she becomes more prominent later on.
Jan 2, 2017 10:44 PM

Feb 2013
Rei366 said:
@Nano1124 If by DVD version, you mean the first DVDs released in the West, they're nothing compared to the Renewal of Evangelion (Platinum edition here), who has better colours among other things.
Misato is 27 years old, she was 14 when the 2nd Impact occured.
Rei exists to mostly stay in the background. You can still watch her evolve through the series.

Yeah, that's probably the version I'm watching. It's the remastered version that came out like 2 years ago I think. It's in blu-ray disc and has the complete collection. I remember it being super expensive back then.

I wonder how Rei will evolve...
Jan 8, 2017 6:48 AM
Jun 2016
That ballet fighting was the best part about this episode, one of my favorites so far
Jan 11, 2017 8:19 PM

Sep 2015
Haha the syn battle was kinda awesome.
Jan 29, 2017 5:30 PM

Jan 2014
Why didn't... they just.... kill the Angel(s) at the same time...... while...... it was restoring..........................

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Apr 4, 2017 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
ZeroDragon said:
These past few episodes have gotten gradually more lighthearted. I hope they return to the main plot soon.

It makes me glad to see Shinji so expressive, confident, assertive, and lax. He's grown so much since the first episode. Based on how dark everyone says this show is supposed to be later on, the intended effect will be accomplished I'm certain.

Asuka couldn't tolerate being confronted with her failure and inadequacy when Rei managed to sync with Shinji on the first attempt at the dance in the apartment. Nothing could be her fault. She is the best. Things must go according to her preferences. Others are flawed, not her. While sleeping, she muttered "Mama" and teared up. These two moments of vulnerability coupled with her attitude lead me to believe that Asuka may have originally been more broken than episode 1 Shinji, and decided to deal with her emotional stress by taking on this attitude. It's a facade. She can't be weak if she believes she is strong, but that only holds true if the latter is greater than the former. Therefore, the degree of her brashness and self-assertion is proportional to the helplessness and inferiority that she's managed to suppress. Over time, the act became ingrained into her personality. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but I enjoy over-analyzing and speculating haha.

When Rei succeeded on the first attempt with Shinji: YESSS #TeamRei
I think you're spot on about Asuka. Good post.
Apr 17, 2017 9:53 PM
Sep 2016
Zelev said:
Why didn't... they just.... kill the Angel(s) at the same time...... while...... it was restoring..........................
cuz synchronised battle looks dope AF
Apr 18, 2017 2:55 AM

Feb 2016
First the cross-dressing and then he even tried to kiss her...
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.