Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 7, 2017 2:11 PM

Oct 2015
This one was weird and psychological but enjoyable. That Miguel didn't seem to mind being her Carlo, in fact I think he loved the idea and also I am glad heintz got to live. It was weird but intriguing to watch, too bad it was short though and no casualties.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 29, 2018 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
It reminds me Solaris, 2001 Space Odyssey and Ray Bradbury stories.

Art, music and production are simply gorgeous.
Nov 7, 2018 12:48 AM

Jul 2009
This was a nice throwback to good ol' space horror flicks. The creepy atmosphere and music made it scarier to watch than most actual horror anime. I wonder how many victims the station has claimed before the engineers went on board.
Dec 25, 2018 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
A 5/5 would not do justice to this fucking masterpiece. Realistic genuine characters, slow buildup that was tense and not meandering, meaningful symbolism, heart gripping action.

100/5 and probably the greatest thing I've ever witnessed not just in anime but in any medium. This trumps Black Mirror when it was at its best.
removed-userDec 25, 2018 5:26 PM
Mar 3, 2019 5:31 AM

Dec 2016
Pretty solid first episode that definitely brings back that good old fashioned sci-fi nostalgia
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Mar 15, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2016
This was pretty great, from the captivating atmosphere to the dramatic climax. Not to mention the outstanding animation and how it was utilized.

Hope the other parts will be just as strong.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 12, 2019 2:52 PM

Dec 2018
MIGUEL! NO! Did Miguel's skeleton fly past Heintz in the final scene?
Aug 14, 2019 7:23 PM

Oct 2016
That art was God-tier. Pretty much everything was absolutely nailed in the art and atmosphere departments. That shot with Heintz at the table and the wind blowing in from the back window was Ghibli-tier cozy.
I felt really bad Heintz throughout the whole second half.
I know ambiguity can be really annoying in media, especially when in an attempt to be artsy, but I think this episode did it just right.
I can only hope that the next 2 episodes hold up to this one's level.

Nov 30, 2019 5:04 PM

Feb 2009
mind blown. amazing first story, has masterpiece written all over it.
Dec 10, 2019 8:11 PM

Jan 2018
man that was fucking cool, amazing animation & art
Jan 17, 2020 10:13 AM

Nov 2012
Wow this was really good and the animation was top notch.

The opera singing really went well with the gloomy tone of the movie.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 7, 2020 2:54 PM

Feb 2017
This was amazing. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time. The atmosphere really sucked me in, especially in the first half where it was just superb.
Those two weren't the only victims, who knows how many astronauts she sucked in. I also like how the movie left Heinz's fate open.
Mar 14, 2020 12:04 AM

Mar 2012
Classic sci-fi with some horror vibes, loved it.

Shame about the crew dying but at least Heintz survived for the moment. Who knows if he'll be found or if he's bound to drift in space until his last moments.
Apr 1, 2020 11:50 AM

Oct 2016
THIS.IS.JUST.MAJESTIC! No seriously, the animation, the story just near perfect. IMO best one of all the three.
Jul 29, 2020 7:39 AM
Aug 2019
my favorite episode coz it's amazing how satoshi bends reality and the animation made me think that i was watching this on tv on a saturday morning in the 1990's when i wasn't even born in that year yet. an anime so awesome for its time.

it made me cry when heintz was trying to hold emily but she was just a hologram; it was heartbreaking.
Nov 26, 2020 7:39 PM
Jun 2017
A gut wrenching story of a woman whi could never live beyond her past glories, so she ensured they would remain eternal.
I thoroughly enjoyed the style and the OST. This one is definitely a 9/10, one of the best animes I've ever seen.
PaulotronatorNov 26, 2020 7:50 PM
Jan 23, 2021 5:48 PM

Jun 2020
I wouldn't have minded if this movie took up the entire 115min run time.
Mar 6, 2021 2:00 PM

Sep 2020
My favourite. I loved it.
Mar 29, 2021 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
Magnetic Rose was pretty much the main reason I watched this, mostly for Satoshi Kon's involvement though finding out Yoko Kanno was also involved was a nice bonus.

Either way, this was pretty great. Many people already touched on in, but it did a really good job of presenting space horror. The slow build of tension was fantastic, and that's something really rare in anime. I'm not sure well versed in anime horror, but I actually think in terms of atmosphere this is probably the strongest. I wasn't scared but I was engrossed, and the little flickers of scares, like Heinz seeing Emily falling from the chandelier through the ground was great, especially looking back at hindsight and realizing what that was foreshadowing.

Heinz' whole story here was well-built up with the earlier acknowledgement of his daughter brought up by the crew, especially since we didn't learn that she was dead than. This is important because it shows that Heinz himself was sort of living in the past, he didn't tell his crew about her death, in a way it's like he was hiding in the past too. The scene were it's revealed what happened to Emily was great too. I caught the wallet sliding off the roof, though I wasn't sure how it was going to be incorporated, but using it as the method to bring him back was great. And again, that wallet featuring his ID and current information was logically set-up earlier in the film when they need to established documentation of their rescue attempt. Super solid writing.

The interplay between the crew was also great, and really fit like people. I really enjoyed Heinz' "You're use to girls ghosting you, right Miguel", that was just a funny burn on him.

I haven't seen the other two yet, but I do doubt they'll match Magnetic Rose. I'm wavering between an 8 or an 9 for this one but I don't really have to make the choice since Memories is actually one entry unlike Short Peace. Not sure why MAL is inconsistent with the compilations like that but it works out for me here.
Apr 6, 2021 8:16 AM
Mar 2021
Why didn't anyone talk about the name of the spaceship as CORONA? LOL
Jun 7, 2021 7:02 PM

Sep 2017
This was so dang good. Loved the atmosphere that was created, the art style was super evocative, soundtrack too. The way they animated the blending of reality and hallucination, the shifty holograms and crumbling flowers.. I was completely enraptured the whole time. Parts of the plot were a little trope-y, but that's a small nitpick I can easily overlook. This was genuinely unsettling, saddening, and life-affirming all at once. The other two shorts in this collection were alright, but they really pale in comparison. Magnetic Rose is going down as one of the greatest shorts I've ever seen, hands down.
Jul 14, 2021 1:33 PM
Oct 2019
this started out pretty good. the opening salvage, brief intro of the crew, the sos signal, and the initial search of the sos ship/debris. the holograms were pretty mysterious and creepy at first

and then shit totally jumped the shark. the ship/debris was "alive". the crew is falling for and becoming one with the holograms. the debris is absorbing the rescue pods and ship. give me a f***ing break

i really lost focus and interest in the last 10 minutes or so. the middle bit was ok, not great, not awful. but it was at least laying the groundwork for what *could have been* an ending i enjoyed (which i obviously wound up not enjoying). and the beginning was really cool and grungy kind of feeling

6/10 overall. kind of worried about the next 2 episodes as apparently people are saying episode 1 was the best of the 3... WE SHALL SEE
Aug 22, 2021 10:53 AM
Mar 2019
I'm a sucker for open endings and this was one hell of an open ending. I wasn't a big fan of the soundtrack but the music that played at the end gave me chills.
Feb 16, 2022 11:55 PM

Apr 2016
I really like this episode, it has the same interesting sad story like in beyond aquila rift from love death robots.
kupat kecemplung santen menawi lepat nyuwun pangapunten
Mar 6, 2022 11:41 PM

Feb 2021
hallucinations kinda reminded me of perfect blue. I enjoyed this a little but nothing that impressive. 5/10
Apr 29, 2022 9:13 AM
Sep 2015
Haunted house in space is great!
May 28, 2022 11:15 PM

Jul 2021
I have said this before and I'll say it again- the 90s artsyle looks like it was made for horror sci-fi anime and this just proves it. I love the eerie atmosphere they've created combining the art with the opera music and ambience.

Although the movie felt like it had quite some unexplained stuff/loose threads it's quite understandable given it's a 40 minute movie. The open ending leaves things upto the viewers interpretation and the real backstory of Eva and how she even got to that deserted space graveyard is also shrouded in mystery.

But one thing I do have a problem with is how the characters interact with the holograms. It would make sense if they were from the past but instead they're from the future, the 2090s to be exact. And Eva's ship was probably from the 2040s but I may be wrong. So why do they (especially Miguel) lose their minds and forget who they even are in front of the holograms?? Given how things are portrayed in the movie you'd think that Eva's ship's actually the one from the future lol.

Still it was awesome anime nonetheless. I'm curious to see what the 2 remaining movies are like.
Oct 2, 2022 7:18 AM
Jun 2022
Responding to a distress call in space, always ends well...

Stunning visuals, particularly the backgrounds on both the Corona and the space station, combined with masterful multi-layered Sci-Fi/Horror storytelling that gives us just enough information while leaving just the right amount of ambiguity. Music only adds to the atmosphere of dread and tragedy, the version of Madama Butterfly being an absolute standout here.

Breakfast table scene is an absolute standout.
Dec 11, 2022 3:10 AM

Jul 2014
This legitimately took my breath away at several points. Convinced it's one of the best things anime has to offer.
Take care of yourself

Jan 25, 2023 6:45 PM
Jul 2017
Spooky, mysterious and SO atmospheric! Props to Yoko Kanno for another amazing soundtrack!
Jan 27, 2023 9:56 AM
Oct 2019
I watched all three but will only enter episode 1 since the Magnetic Rose episode overshadowed the entire short series. Magnetic Rose is a masterpiece in story telling, pacing, editing, and score. It packed the life story of 3 characters in a mere 45 minutes where many long-running series have failed. You will remember one, admire one, and pity one. I personally was enthralled.
Feb 20, 2023 1:48 PM
Mar 2021
Spoilers!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow that was such a trip! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, it was an AMAZING story. I would LOVE to see what happens to Heinz after and more lore into this short film. It has an amazing story and great characters. Though I was a tad confused on whether Emily back home is dead or it was just the hologram making him see her like that, I don't think you can even call what those, things were, a hologram. They formed as the scene played and would crumble once they fell out, it's such a wack concept and I loved every single second of it!!
Mar 8, 2023 10:15 AM

Sep 2020
Scary asf bro. Love it.
Mar 28, 2023 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
This story carried the other two. Best one by a mile
Apr 3, 2023 12:30 PM

Oct 2018
It's been a while since I saw something written by Kon, I forgot how much I dig his writing style. A lot of sparks and the way layouts are placed reminds me of Koji Morimoto's Robot Carnvial episode. Despite having staff from both the studios (although 4c mainly here), I assume this episode is still strictly a 4C production, along with the 3rd episode. Not expecting the other episodes to follow in the same foot steps as their reputation isn't necessarily high, but I hope they are competent atleast.

8-8.5/10
Jun 22, 2023 3:02 AM

Aug 2019
The visuals and atmosphere were absolutely amazing but the plot was kinda cliched and it ended it up losing me at the end.
Strong 7/10 for this ep.
Jul 31, 2023 3:51 PM
May 2023
magnetic rose is a masterpiece
Dec 30, 2023 4:02 PM
Sep 2016
Very thought provoking
Mar 19, 8:47 PM
Dec 2018
A great movie. I loved the diversity between action, horror, and fantasy beautifully
Apr 10, 12:47 AM

Oct 2013
Absolutely fantastic and breathtaking sci-fi movie. Brilliant animation, beautiful art and music. Truly a masterpiece. And it's the first one out of three movies belonging to this compilation. I will definitely watch the other ones as well. Their descriptions look intriguing.
Apr 10, 12:49 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to MajedM1999
A great movie. I loved the diversity between action, horror, and fantasy beautifully
@MajedM1999 Same! I loved how there was a perfect balance between slower and faster scenes, mixing a lot of different themes and elements belonging to various genres, without turning everything into a chaotic movie.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Memories: Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cantius - Jun 25, 2009

103 by Adnash »»
Apr 10, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Memories: Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cantius - Jun 26, 2009

78 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 19, 8:59 PM

» Nazi Symbolism

animejnkie - Apr 9, 2009

4 by luckyducky9999 »»
Sep 29, 2023 5:30 AM

» help

Starlord09 - Mar 1, 2023

11 by GoCrayzee »»
Mar 4, 2023 8:59 AM

» Clarification

Starlord09 - Nov 29, 2022

1 by crdboard »»
Nov 29, 2022 11:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.