Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 2009 4:19 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow Nanami is truly twisted.

Aug 29, 2009 7:31 AM

Aug 2008
I love that this series explains both Touga's and Nanami's feelings. That "kiss me" moment was a good addition to the episode. Overall this episode was phenomenal. I was dying to find out how Nanami became a duelist and I'm glad it was this way.
Sep 17, 2009 12:38 PM

Aug 2008
Wow wouldnt think that nanami was behind the cats disappearance Touga is becoming EEEEEEVIL and what not.

And Anthy resembling everyone's childhood is... kinda weird maybe a coincidence but who knows.

Also I understand that nanami loves her brother and all but to suddenly have skill as a swordswoman well it never explicitly said she DIDN'T practice but meh :DD

also slap slap

Apr 9, 2010 3:21 PM

May 2009
Alicia3000 said:

I wouldn't call her twisted. Her brother's perfectly sweet with her, but suddenly turns into this crazy lady-killer when he's around other women. Her blind love for him means she deduces that those women are the ones who are, er, corrupting dear sweet brother.

I didn't quite get the Shadow Girls' Play. Is that supposed to represent Nanami's rebellion after following her brother for years? o.O
Nov 11, 2010 5:51 PM

Aug 2009
Not quite sure how to feel towards Nanami...
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 5, 2010 7:51 AM

Nov 2010
Finally, we get to see Nanami beaten down by Utena.

Also. the "kiss me" moment was hilarious.
Mar 11, 2011 1:43 PM
Jul 2010
Athena said:
Alicia3000 said:

I wouldn't call her twisted. Her brother's perfectly sweet with her, but suddenly turns into this crazy lady-killer when he's around other women. Her blind love for him means she deduces that those women are the ones who are, er, corrupting dear sweet brother.

I didn't quite get the Shadow Girls' Play. Is that supposed to represent Nanami's rebellion after following her brother for years? o.O

I think the play was about her cat present. She wanted him to like her gift the best, but when he actually did she got jealous. One of the shadow girls wanted to find a good name, and when her friend did, she ended up saying "You didn't have to actually give him a name like that..."
Apr 10, 2011 1:38 PM

Aug 2010
That is some fierce fucking jelly from Nanami, loved it.
Apr 10, 2011 6:08 PM

Mar 2011
Nice to see an episode dedicated to Nanami.
"I'm commander Shepard, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes is my favorite anime in the galaxy"
Jul 3, 2011 11:20 PM

Jun 2009
I'm in love with this series....it just works for me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 28, 2011 10:56 AM

Jan 2011
2 eps after the India elephants and body switching, the show has now totally turned darker...

btw Nanami looks better with her hair down
Aug 8, 2011 12:31 PM

Feb 2009
I'm thinking Anthy brought that cat on purpose or alternatively, someone (Touga) told her to do so.
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Aug 9, 2011 12:03 PM
Jul 2018
Urufuzu_rein said:
I'm thinking Anthy brought that cat on purpose or alternatively, someone (Touga) told her to do so.

Seeing as how Anthy had provoked Juri into dueling Utena with th rose and Miki with her innocent act and that piano piece that reminded him of his sister, she followed the same strategy with Nanami.
Apr 28, 2012 9:26 AM

Dec 2009
I don't know whether to like or dislike Nanami, but either way I think she's a dumb bitch. Interesting episode.
Aug 22, 2012 9:26 PM

May 2010
As Touga stroke her hair, he's thinking "YOU FAILURE!"
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 4, 2012 11:40 PM

Apr 2012
Nanami is a hard character to like. She can be funny but most of the time her major brother complex and her tendency to overreact to EVERYTHING make her act rather petty and nasty. Plus, when you start killing animals - especially for stupid reasons - you lose some major points in my book.

Anyway, like a few others have mentioned before, I have to wonder if Anthy is manipulating these duels on purpose. She seems innocent but her little gestures always trigger the right memory from someone's past to inspire them to duel.
Sep 12, 2012 11:36 PM

Mar 2012
I didn't mind Nanami before. Yeah, she could be a jerk, but she never really got in the way, and was pretty good for comedic relief.

But being a cat person, this episode has made me hate her. When she kicked that box into the water, I wanted to strangle her.
Feb 5, 2013 2:19 PM

Oct 2011
I really don't like Nanami now, lol. Hope bad things upon her character. Decent episode.
Feb 8, 2013 6:44 PM

Aug 2007
KITTTTTTTYYYY! ;o;
How can you do that to a poor kitten. Breaks my heart </3

But I think it's adorable that Touga likes cats so much x3

Mar 4, 2013 9:06 PM

Nov 2011
OK, so Nanami is officially a psychopath and this show has this really dark undercurrent and I love it.
Mar 29, 2013 5:15 PM
Jan 2012
Interesting episode, Nanami was looking pretty good here:
I am not sure how to feel towards her yet, right now she is neutral to me.
And yes, I also think Anthy is manipulating the duels in some way. She is quite... shady.
Apr 22, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
Hell, both Anthy and Touga are shady. Especially after what Touga pulled off in these last 2 episodes.
Jul 7, 2013 9:03 PM

Apr 2012
You never kill of the pets. !!! I actually wanted to like Nanami's character before.

I've never thought of Anthy manipulating the duels, but I think she might be, it sorta explains her random outburst in Miki's duel. I thought everything was just a coincidence.
u gay
Mar 14, 2014 9:47 AM

Oct 2010
Bastard, killing a defenseless animal. Despicable character (although she is well written).
Aug 22, 2014 11:22 AM

Jun 2008
Nanami is one of the more screwed up characters I've seen in a long time.
Nov 18, 2014 8:48 AM
Nov 2013
Who wouldn't like some cat-killing, incest-like yandere action?

On a side note, I am starting to see how the rose bride is manipulating people into the duels. That birthday present is too much of a coincidence. I have been fooled by the innocent exterior for too long
Dec 14, 2014 12:29 AM

Sep 2014
Ugh I like hate and love Nanami at the same time. I love her overreactions to stupid things but I can't forgive her for killing a cat because of her overly sick love for her stupid brother.

And Anthy is quite shady indeed. Is she even human?
Dec 31, 2014 9:59 AM

Sep 2013
Damn that snake Touga, always one step ahead of everyone else!
Jan 7, 2015 7:24 PM

Jul 2014
This episode made me really dislike Nanami. I honestly thought I'd come to understand and like her later in the show, but she just went too far this episode. She slaps the girls around over every little thing, and she kills a little kitten because of her immature jealousy...
Mar 30, 2015 8:33 PM

Oct 2013
Man I really don't like the guys in this series but I guess it helps you liek the girls better
another good episode
man nanami is a bitch and I hate touga
[/quote]
Aug 9, 2015 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
Yawndere said:
She slaps the girls around over every little thing, and she kills a little kitten because of her immature jealousy...

She was kid when she killed the cat.
In this episode she has slapped Utena and Anthy. If there had been no duels (no Anthy), her brother wouldn't come to an arena. If Utena hadn't been fighting, her borther wouldn't come to rescue Utena. Well... as for Utena: Nanami hated her before this episode. I think Nanami kind of liked Saionji. So... it's more reasonable to blame enemy instead of friend. And... don't forget she is little crazy

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthy = End of the world
Sep 10, 2015 8:13 PM

Jul 2014
Well, I finally resumed watching this show after two years.

Decent episode. I laughed when the spinning white rose censored Utena slashing Nanami.

Also, I think Nanami looks better with her hair down.

4/5
Oct 26, 2015 3:54 PM
Oct 2015
touga totally did all of this in efforts to make nanami upset. Leading her to a burning hatred against utena so that nanami would want to duel her.

Pressure points:
nanami's precious brother was hurt
Touga was still training to battle against utena, making utena the reason why Touga could get even more hurt
Touga "posing" as utena's prince, pulling Utena to fall for him. Urging for Utena and Touga to have some blooming relationship... making Nanami jealous that Utena, not she, is the object of Touga's affection.

Utena, like the kitten is "coming between big brother and me"

when Touga sees that the hate in Nanami has fueled up to its full potential he gives her a ring so that she can blow off all of the steam in a duel against her now true enemy, Utena. He was waiting

the battle song the the backgound of Nanami's duel with Utena hints on their fuality. the lyric "Two relationships two births" plays after Namani declares that her duelist ring was given to her by her prince ( touga) who shall lead her to her vicotiry.

Wait....didn't Utena say something similar?

At this point in the anime, it is difficult to decipher whether or not Touga is Utena's prince ( thought I think ,not)

the line two relationships, two birth, is difinetly shining a light on the births of Nanami and Utena as duelists-- births that required a prince as catalyst.

Also nanami referred to her fighting style as her brother ( her prince's) fighting style, telling us that Nanami is inspired by her prince up to the point where she desired to emulate him--just like Utena.
Nov 23, 2015 12:31 AM
Jul 2014
Lol, that Blonde Nanami sure can deliver a serious slap on the face! I kind of liked this episode, it turned me on,lol...
jakovNov 23, 2015 12:42 AM
Nov 26, 2015 9:40 AM
Nov 2010
Joel_Shelton said:
Nanami is one of the more screwed up characters I've seen in a long time.

Feb 13, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2014
Nanami looks so much better with her hair down.

Yup, after this episode i'm still not a fan of her.
Mar 15, 2016 4:48 AM
Oct 2015
Nanami is mentally an obsessive child. Her brother dosen't help because even if she does wrong hes there to console her afterword. Of course this is exactly what Touga wants because he can constantly manipulate her and use her as a pawn.n
Apr 15, 2016 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
[quote=Wannabiteme message=41421840]
Yawndere said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Anthy = End of the world

this so fucking much.
Apr 19, 2016 4:51 AM

Jun 2008
Alicia3000 said:

I wouldn't say twisted as just plain evil.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 18, 2016 8:27 PM

Apr 2016
Touga is actually more twisted. He set up his sister for that duel to get 'data'. He knew she'd lose, maybe even killed.

That family is fucked up.

Oh and there was plenty a slappin' going on this time. Oy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2016 10:31 PM

Sep 2012
I'm glad Anthy got slapped in the face again, otherwise the show would betray its own rule of having Anthy slapped in every episode.
Aug 28, 2016 5:44 AM

Jul 2011
What is that stopwatch that Miki carries around? :/
Aug 28, 2016 6:16 PM

Jul 2015
DAMN NANAMI TAKE A FREAKIN CHILL PILL
might I suggest chloroform?

Some of these characters are irking me tho
Utena: ask more questions girl. Literally took her until last episode to question the castle and she didn't even get a straight answer smh
Saionji: see my advice to Nanami above
Anthy: this is not the 1700's. Ain't no slaves up in dis bitch
Apr 24, 2017 7:39 AM
Nov 2015
Anthy oh Anthy, how come you found the cat? me a 2nd time viewer.
The scheming machine is proving more and more fantastic. It just goes to show that Juri really rocks, she doesn't fall into his trap. For Miki, the moment Kozue came out of the music room after making out w Touga broke him. Saionji too, he prepares a coffin. Now Nanami, oh he's just calm and patient and natural. Fantastic jerk.
May 9, 2017 11:51 AM
Nov 2009
Urgh, Nanami. I hope they kill her off anytime soon.
May 31, 2017 12:24 AM

Nov 2011
Wow. Nanami is a straight-up sociopath. How evil, killing the kitten like that. Physical beauty is wasted on someone so rotten.

I do wonder if it's really a coincidence that Anthy always seems to do something the helps provoke one of the duelists into their duel.

There's still no way that Touga is the prince from Utena's childhood. The man shown as the prince in the opening backstory has a dark complexion and purple hair, just like Anthy. I strongly suspect that this "Power of Dios" that comes down to aid Utena during the duels manifests from him somehow, since it takes the same appearance as a dark complexioned man.

Touga is ever the schemer. He deliverately manipulated Nanami into becoming a duelist, apparently with the intention to study her fight with Utena. I imagine it may be particularly useful for him if Nanami was indeed mimicking his swordsmanship style. He seems to have seen the Power of Dios too.
Jun 14, 2017 9:31 AM

Dec 2014
I thought we'd see the cat getting saved at the last second but no, Nanami really did kill that kitten. That's fucked up.
Aug 9, 2017 9:40 AM

Apr 2015
Nanami's a duelist now?! Yikes...crazy bitch can't bring revolution to the world! She drowned a kitten for taking her brother from her! Not only that, but she can't even follow the simple rules of the duel. Hopefully her brother will revoke her ring or something.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 10, 2017 8:09 PM
Aug 2014
Was hoping someone other than Nanami would be the duelist; expanding the cast. Nanami doesn't have a health relationship with her brother, that's for sure.

If Touga really was a prince he wouldn't need to remind everyone of how princely he is for every little thing he does.

Really hope those comments on Anthy aren't "guesses" from re-watchers/manga readers.
Sep 7, 2017 6:54 AM

Jun 2013
It's a little frustrating to watch Utena fall for Touga's shtick, but I know she's even more out-of-the-loop than we are.

Nanami is a tragic character. I say that while I know she killed that kitten (though she seemed to regret it, maybe). Touga is a terrible influence on the lives of everyone who are close to him.

Lorezhno said:
Really hope those comments on Anthy aren't "guesses" from re-watchers/manga readers.

I hope so, too. This is basically why you should never read anything about a show while you're watching it, if you want to fly blind. There's always a risk that some idiot ruins it for you.
LeeTailorSep 7, 2017 6:58 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

philautia_ - Aug 29, 2009

56 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 7:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.