Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2008 12:29 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"The Watchword is "Au Revoir""

(synopsis courtesy of Wikipedia)

A lot of transition and foreshadowing in this ep. It seems Robespierre is making his powerplay, just as St. Just said.
May 27, 2009 9:20 PM

May 2007
Oh I knew Robespierre was evil. Oscar is getting ready to die and that is very sad.

Marie is an idiot.
My anime list
Dec 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Apr 2010
It's kinda sad thinking that Oscar is sick :((
Until I've read the comments from some episodes, I didn't think about Oscar's death at all. She seemed all right to me, but now, whenever I think about it, it makes me sad :(

Feb 12, 2011 2:00 PM
Nov 2010
Au Revoir?

it's more like À Dieu...

wtf Oscar is sick? This show has so much resemblance with LOGH LOL
Mar 8, 2011 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
LotGH spoilers:
Alas86Mar 8, 2011 12:54 PM
Apr 23, 2011 12:55 PM

May 2010
SuperSaiyen said:
Au Revoir?

it's more like À Dieu...

wtf Oscar is sick? This show has so much resemblance with LOGH LOL

This disease runs in the family
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 25, 2011 12:06 PM

Feb 2010
Everyone thinks the same as me ^^. It seems todays "die-flashy-and-come-back-alive" is yesterdays "die-of-a-sickness-because-it's-more-realistic-and-tragic".

It's a shame, really.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 11, 2012 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
Oh! They've said the r-word! It's happening!
Another sign of Oscar's illness last episode occurred to me watching this. If she wasn't sick, she would've chased Saint-Just instead of simply throwing her sword. I was wondering how they would deal with Oscar and the revolution since the earlier episodes, and I guess it's pretty clear now.
Louis has been getting an acceptable amount of screentime. It'd just be cool he didn't spend it dropping the ball at every available chance.
Feb 22, 2013 4:56 AM

Sep 2010
Crap Oscar not you too I don't want another Souji Okita. T^T

Well all hell is breaking loose in Paris now.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 29, 2013 12:07 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Marie....you are a spoiled brat and an idiot to the very end. I have no sympathy for her or the king. I feel bad for Oscar but she made the right call.
Jan 3, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2012
Viva la revolution!!!!
Oct 8, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2012
WolfWood37 said:
Oh Marie....you are a spoiled brat and an idiot to the very end. I have no sympathy for her or the king. I feel bad for Oscar but she made the right call.

She screwed France over right until the end lol.
Oct 19, 2014 2:11 PM

Jul 2011
mitamaking said:
Oh I knew Robespierre was evil.

Alas86 said:
LotGH spoilers:

Obviously they're related!

I guess it'll pull a LotGH ending on us:
Mar 10, 2015 8:58 PM

Apr 2014
oh no.......Oscar is as good as dead. I'm going to be crying at 1 am over an anime character.......

I take back what I had said about Marie....she's still naive. damn her! if she wasn't didn't persuade the king, everything would have been easier
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2015 11:17 PM

Jan 2010
It has been around 20 years since Oscar and Marie first met? Holy crap, the passing time still hasn't sunk in for me yet. That means they're well into their 30s by now. Rose of Versailles has been moving at a breakneck speed, a pace full of necks getting broken as well. With things accelerating within the past few episodes, there's no breathing room at all - a far cry from how this show first started off. It's almost frightening how much things have changed.
Jan 11, 2016 8:00 AM
Nov 2014
The beginning of an end. My body is ready for the Revolution.
Feb 16, 2016 8:46 PM

Dec 2012
I am not ready, Not ready for the revolution, been stalling this episode for long . Poor Antoniette, Oscar anbandoned her. Seriously Oscar, You shouldn't broke your promise.

I thought Oscar would be the sole survivor..

Jun 17, 2016 5:37 PM
Feb 2013
Marie Antoinette is just so... ugh, Why did she have to dismiss Jacques Necker. I know he's been a horrible Queen, but knowing what's coming up next I can't help but feel bad for her.

It's also said that her an Oscar had to end our 20-year long friendship, just because she was being stubborn.
Apr 22, 2017 11:21 PM

Jun 2016
That was an amazing episode - like all the kinda-historical episodes have been.

The Oscar-Antoinette farewell scene was the first that made me tear up in this series too. That scene carried the weight of their entire relationship. From Oscar's PoV: to be forced to betray a beloved friend and liege like that, because you know she is in the wrong, but yet getting racked by guilt for turning a blind eye to her faults before and leaving her to the hounds now that she is irredeemable. From Antoinette's PoV: her last bastion and pillar of loyalty just betrayed her, leaving behind the irrefutable truth that her kingdom is crumbling all around her. This is it, this is the end. This isn't au revoir, this is adieu.
Jul 11, 2017 11:29 AM

Jul 2015
Oscar did well, 20 years passed and Marie is still as retarded, not much to do.
Sep 23, 2017 6:37 PM

Apr 2016
That last scene was so majestic!
The melancholic colors, the sadness of the characters ...
I'm ready for the revolution!
Sep 26, 2017 11:47 PM
May 2012
Arachnophobic said:
That was an amazing episode - like all the kinda-historical episodes have been.

The Oscar-Antoinette farewell scene was the first that made me tear up in this series too. That scene carried the weight of their entire relationship. From Oscar's PoV: to be forced to betray a beloved friend and liege like that, because you know she is in the wrong, but yet getting racked by guilt for turning a blind eye to her faults before and leaving her to the hounds now that she is irredeemable. From Antoinette's PoV: her last bastion and pillar of loyalty just betrayed her, leaving behind the irrefutable truth that her kingdom is crumbling all around her. This is it, this is the end. This isn't au revoir, this is adieu.
Miru said:

this. antoinette is a terrible queen who makes bad decisions, but i just can't seem to hate her.
Dec 14, 2017 2:44 PM

Nov 2016
Oh shit,not ready for what's going to happen.

Farewell betwenn Oscar and Antoinette was so sad.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2018 4:59 AM

Mar 2014
That last scene was really depressing and intense. I really liked it although it saddens me to see that they won't meet again and that their friendship is over. I'm nostalgic looking back at the first few eps. As for Marie, she hasn't been a good Queen at all, she hasn't cared for the commoners but I still can't seem to dislike her in this adaptation, maybe because her character has been fleshed out really well. As for Robespierre, the foreshadowing was well-done.
Jan 6, 2018 4:52 PM
Nov 2010
I think Marie Antoinette seeming like she's become unbearable is more because of how little focus there was at her for some time rather than anything else. They should've probably smoothed that out a bit more, though.

Oscar having a terminal illness sounds unnecessary to me.

I found the scene with Oscar and Marie Antoinette pretty nice, both because I quite care about their relationship and also because of how nicely it was done in terms of presentation.
Apr 28, 2018 3:26 PM
Jan 2018
Minha menina está morrendo!!! Não posso suportar a ideia!!
Antonieta será a causa do fim do reinado!! O rei é um batata que só segue a opinião dos outros! É um fantoche!
Apr 3, 2019 4:53 PM
Dec 2014
I hate how they portrayed Saint-Just why the hell in the anime he's talking bad about Robespierre while in real history he was the biggest defender of Robespierre.
Jan 7, 2020 4:28 AM
Sep 2013
Hmmm... I never cared that much about Oscar and Marie Antoinette's friendship, compared to Oscar's relationships with Andre, Rosalie, Fersen, her guys in the French Guard etc. so I didn't feel much about their goodbye in this episode, but it was animated beautifully. Ha, I guess that's where the time and budget went - some of the earlier scenes looked a bit wonky. Good episode all around still.
Jun 1, 2020 10:59 PM
Oct 2019
Ay, María Antonieta se puso la gorra.
Sep 11, 2020 12:32 PM

Jul 2015
Despite Marie having made some major bad decisions in the past, it's still sad to see her saying au revioir to Oscar after having a long friendship of 20 years...
Can't believe Oscar is going to die because of some lung disease...

Feb 19, 2021 5:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Miru said:

This was an amazing scene. Modern anime fans can say what they want about dated art/animation, but that old school stuff when done right with a full budget is hard to beat. Wonderful scene. So sad and melancholic too. Those two have really been there for each other. And Marie is portrayed in a balanced way I think. She's not evil or vindictive, just selfish and misguided.

Oscar, please don't die on us. That would be too sad.

Love the scene with Alain calling the guys of the other regiment "country"
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2021 11:01 PM

Aug 2018
Antoinette is literally manipulating the king, and she is really dumb for wanting to fight the French citizens. Shes the cause of all the problems in France tbh

Apr 11, 2021 12:24 AM

Sep 2010
lol at Marie Antoinette involving herself now that people are outraging. If only she tries to settle it with the king when the problem was still lighter.

What a sad way to end Oscar and Marie's friendship.

And why can't Oscar sees a doctor ? who knows there's a chance for her to get cured.
Nov 22, 2022 7:04 AM

Apr 2016
And now she says goodbye to the romantic world she used (and probably still even if just a little bit) love, meanwhile Marie hold on to it even when there is nothing there to hold, beautiful scene.
Dec 2, 2022 7:31 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
crowd control!
The mass, called the people, take up arms, there is no turning back, not even for pride! kekeke
Jun 4, 2023 2:47 AM

Jan 2021
What, in the end Robespierre and Saint-Just are the same. I felt stupid for believing and sympathizing with Robespierre. But whatever, at least thanks to him the Revolution is very much in sight.

Marie said they've been friends for 20 years. They first met when they were 14, so they're in their 30s now? Wow, that means Oscar has been on Marie's side for a very long time... 

Feb 16, 12:05 PM
Mar 2014
The last scene was so brilliant. Two women once close parting their ways; the guard who once vowed to protect the queen leaving her side because they now belong to the different sides, and queen, while denying it at first, accepting this turn of fate. I wonder if they really won't see each other again, or will they do it, but while being on the opposing sides of the conflict?

also i wonder if Oscar will die as a hero, or the sickness will be faster than that.

and i feel so sorry for Antoinette. of course she defends her habitual order of things - which is the ONLY order of thing in hher worldview - form those who want to destroy it... the narrative shows the story from the view which is opposing to her though, so it really cannot be helped.
Mar 25, 6:09 AM

Mar 2020
Like the reference to Robespierre being a Terrroist on a grander scale than Just, considering the Terror and all that. Although, I'm pretty sure the term "terrorist" was invented during the Terror to describe the Jacobins behind it?
Also liked the contrast of Oscar and Antoinette's first and last meetings in this episode, the tragedy of broken friendships due to politics and such.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 )

fanty - Nov 5, 2009

74 by GinGmaximum »»
Apr 19, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 32 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Nov 30, 2008

48 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 4, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

24 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
Apr 2, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.